Skip to content

Host: dvnstorm
Description: Jonathan Coulton's JoCo Cruise 2016 booking is now open. Now offering rum, the lash, and... what's that third thing again? February 21-28, 2016, on Royal Caribbean's Freedom Of The Seas
Date/Time: February 21, 2016 - 11:00 AM (local time)
Party Info: JoCo Cruise 2016 is a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas celebrating music, comedy, and general nerdery.

The 2016 cruise will depart from Port Canaveral, Florida on Sunday, February 21 and return on Sunday, February 28th, with ports of call at CocoCay, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten.

Performers include Jonathan Coulton, Paul and Storm, and friends from across the music, comedy, gaming, and writing worlds.

We've had several Farkers come along on previous cruises, including Drew in 2013/2014 and Mike in 2014/2015. It's an awesome time.

Here's the press release version:

The organizers of JoCo Cruise, the oceangoing festival/convention celebrating music, comedy, and general nerdery, are pleased to announce its sixth annual sailing. JoCo Cruise 2016 will depart from Port Canaveral, Florida, on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas on February 21st and return on February 28th, with ports of call at CocoCay, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten.

The JoCo Cruise is unlike any other event cruise. Originally centered around Jonathan Coulton's fan base, it has grown and evolved into a community of creative makers and technorati who gather once a year to celebrate their favorite things, and discover new interests. Veteran participants and newcomers alike enjoy the welcoming Summer Camp vibe, amazing personal connections, and feeling of community and shared sensibilities that make JoCo Cruise many people's favorite week of the year.

JoCo Cruise is hosted by internet superstar Jonathan Coulton ("JoCo") and co-produced by nerdy impresarios Paul and Storm; complete 2016 performer and guest lineup will be announced in the coming months. Previous JoCo Cruise performers have ranged from notable entertainers (John Hodgman; Wil Wheaton; Grant Imahara (Mythbusters)), to indie rockers (Aimee Mann and Ted Leo; Pomplamoose), and to New York Times bestselling authors (John Scalzi; Patrick Rothfuss). And, of course, lots of nerd-world favorites like YouTube powerhouse Hank Green; webcomic creators Randall Munroe (xkcd) and Matthew Inman (The Oatmeal); and Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" and RiffTrax.

JoCo Cruise also features a 24/7, 4,000 square foot Game Room (haunted last year by notable tabletop game designers, including the legendary Steve Jackson), and daily events. In addition to concerts, high-energy dance parties and big-stage karaoke, events and activities have included fez-and-mustache theme parties, tabletop gaming tournaments and demonstrations, writing panels and workshops, midnight readings of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, and a participatory Star Trek-like bridge simulator ("Artemis"). JoCo Cruise even has its own custom beer, supplied by Mystery Brewing and provided to attendees at opening and closing night cocktail parties.

JoCo Cruise's activities are also shaped by the amazing group of people who attend, many of whom host their own events (the "Shadow Cruise"), facilitated by JoCo Cruise. All week long new friendships are forged, old ones renewed, and elbows of attendees and Official guests rub together throughout the ship.

"All-in" prices starts at $1,332 per person for an Interior cabin, which includes all stateroom charges, taxes/fees, and prepaid gratuity. Outside-view cabins start at $1,581; Balcony at $1,898; and Suites at $2,432. All prices are per person based on double occupancy. Booking for JoCo Cruise 2016 will begin in late March of 2015, ONLY on jococruise.com, where you can find more complete details.

Meet at: MS Freedom Of The Seas
9050 Discovery Pl, Port Canaveral, FL 32920, USA
(open map in new window)

8264 clicks; posted to Main » and Fark Party » on 14 Feb 2016 at 11:59 AM (5 years ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

2015-04-06 2:07:17 PM
I was there last year, twas fun.  Didn't see any farkers though ('cept Wil)

2015-04-06 2:09:52 PM
Yep.  I was there for 2014/2015 (and prebooked for 2016) and pretty much haven't shut up about it since. :)

2015-04-06 2:12:17 PM
I went on the 2014 cruise.  It was my first cruise, and I learned how much I hated being confined on a ship.  The people were nice and I enjoyed meeting with and talking to them.

2015-04-06 2:14:05 PM
gladiator movies , bet is gladiator movies

/ever seen a grown man naked?

2015-04-06 2:19:58 PM
Musical numbers? (I don't know if this is SFW or not. Probably best to go elsewhere)

2015-04-06 2:43:01 PM
Already Booked, for my third JCC!

2015-04-06 2:49:34 PM
Why is there a whole cruise devoted to jeans with comically wide legs?

2015-04-06 3:17:12 PM

Well, there IS a Fancy Pants Parade...

2015-04-06 3:45:46 PM

thought it was a Johnson County cruise.

/every Johnson County in the USA is called "JoCo."

2015-04-06 8:20:52 PM
See you there, Mike! :)

2015-04-08 11:29:18 PM

LadyShiva: See you there, Mike! :)

w00t

2015-04-28 12:31:21 AM
Some of us!  Some of us!

2015-06-30 1:33:07 PM
There are still suites and balcony rooms available, everything else is sold out.

2015-09-21 4:14:26 PM
Lady Ni and I will be there once again, attempting to drink ALL THE RUM, hot-tubbing, and geeking out on NerdBoat.

2015-10-08 9:36:29 PM
I'm going to have to wear my fancy pants for this.
https://youtu.be/V6bF1c7u3BI (Spookie Daly Pride - Fancy Pants)

2015-10-18 5:18:47 PM

Strange group.

2015-10-18 5:24:29 PM

2015-10-18 5:40:03 PM
I think they're moving away from Captain's Wife's Lament as a finale.  They didn't do it at w00tstock this year.

2015-10-18 5:42:38 PM
Sounds fun, but no cruise ships for me. Plus, poor (not even a TF sub to my name).

I hope that everyone who goes has fun!

ecl [TotalFark]
2015-10-18 5:58:14 PM
The opening song to Rifftrax is an abomination.

2015-10-18 6:07:28 PM
Remember El Faro!!!!  Suckers

2015-10-18 6:17:51 PM

ecl: The opening song to Rifftrax is an abomination.

I kind of feel the same way. But then,  I guess the guys at RiffTrax are just happy to have someone cool do thier theme song, and are proud of it.
 I got Jon Bailey from Honest Trailers to do my ring tone and voice mail,  and I think it's awesome. But I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.  However,  I'm still happy with it, and will subject anyone to listen to it if they haven't heard it,  despite the inevitable eye roll I'm sure they will have.

2015-10-18 8:52:40 PM

maltedmothball: gladiator movies , bet is gladiator movies

/ever seen a grown man naked?

Spent years of my life on board Navy frigates. In those quarters, you don't have an option. You consider yourself lucky if a messmate sleeping on the top rack over yours at least wears underwear to bed so you don't wake up for flying stations and get immediately "treated" to the sight and smell of some guys hairy nether regions as he rolls out.

2015-10-18 10:02:03 PM
Screw it, balcony reserved.

2015-10-18 10:41:42 PM
Bah, I'm pooooooor! Sounds amazing, though. Maybe I can make it next time.

2015-10-18 10:56:56 PM
Oh, it is.

(I got a windowless interior room to do it on the cheap.  Again.)

125 days...

2015-10-19 4:06:00 AM
This will be my fourth trip on the Nerd Boat. It gets better every time.

2015-10-19 9:53:31 AM

Strange group.

I'm surprised you only got that response.  Most(?) of us will start with "it's a geek/engineer/IT thing" to give the curious but nongeeky a chance to disengage before their eyes glaze over, but if we encounter someone who responds well to the geek/IT opening, we'll explain at length in hopes that they'll join us for their next cruise.  Sorry you got some of our less friendly members.

2015-10-19 10:04:49 AM
I think we need some mini handouts, Jack Chick style.  Maybe a pile of 'em outside the game room.

2015-10-19 11:28:21 AM

Argonreality: One thing I STILL don't get about the call-and-response for Paul and Storm's "Captains' Wife's Lament" is why someone hasn't challenged the answer to "a pirate's favorite element". A much better thematic and period fit while keeping the "pirate" part of the joke would be "AuRRum (Aurum, A.K.A. Gold), rather than "ARRgon" (Argon). Any Farkers going willing to dress like a pirate and raise the challenge, assuming it's part of the set for this show?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

TheEndIsNigh: maxis_mydog: The wife and I were on the one about two years ago. Not that we knew what JoCo was all about, we just happened to be on the same ship at the time. I tried to engage a few of the folks and ask what it was all about and was told several times that it was a "geek/engineer/iT thing" and that I wouldn't understand.  Hysterical since I've been a geeky engineer for 40 years.

Strange group.

Likewise puzzled.  One of my favorite things on the Boat is meeting non-Monkeys and letting them know what it's all about.  I know I've had people that I've chatted with join in the fun on later cruises.  Non-geek, myself, but I like Smart, and these are some pretty sharp folks, and the music/comedy are a lot of fun.  I mean, you'll run into a lot of variety in any group this large, but for the most part, Sea Monkeys are the most inclusive, non-judgmental, genuinely nice bunch of people I've ever known.  Give us another shot, and Soon you could be....

One of us, one of us, one of us...

wac.450f.edgecastcdn.netView Full Size

2015-10-19 9:27:28 PM
Will there be a Creepy Doll? Because I'm telling you, she lives in my village.

2015-11-15 7:25:25 AM

mama2tnt: Actual Farking: Why is there a whole cruise devoted to jeans with comically wide legs?

thought it was a Johnson County cruise.

/every Johnson County in the USA is called "JoCo."

Up here, there's a MoCo (Montgomery County) and a LoCo (Loudoun County).

Buying a house in LoCo so no momo for the JoCo cruise.

2015-11-15 9:16:25 AM

2015-11-15 9:30:48 AM

Pointy Tail of Satan: All aboard the plague boat!! Take heart that not just you, but your fellow passengers as well can enjoy the bliss of days of diarrhea and vomiting!

I am on my ...10th? cruise and the above hasn't happened yet.  Granted, I wash my hands after I use the bathroom... and before I eat... and after shaking anyone's hands.

/It's not an addiction to Purell, because I don't drink it.
//SOON.
///And this time, I'm bringing a coworker friend, not my mom. ;)

2015-11-15 10:21:21 AM

2015-11-15 10:53:15 AM

Felgraf: But will anyone fall down a volcano this year, then race to reconnect with the cruise ship at a later port?

No, but more because there aren't any volcanoes on this year's islands (anymore) than because we intend to keep proper tabs on Gavin.

2015-11-15 12:27:53 PM
I leave for a cruise on RC a week from today, so this kind of amused me. Though it's not on the same ship.

2015-11-15 9:21:11 PM

I expect they'll be tying a long bungie cord onto Gavin's leg this year...

2015-11-15 9:42:18 PM

John Roderick
Patrick Rothfuss
John Scalzi
Janet Varney
Wil Wheaton

2015-12-04 10:47:54 AM

There were still people with looking for cabinmates on their existing reservations less than a week ago.  You might be able to snag one of those spots, and most of us find the second solo year less awkward, since not everyone is a complete stranger when you arrive.

2015-12-04 10:54:15 AM

TheEndIsNigh: vonmatrices: So good.  But I ain't got anyone to go with this year.  I went solo last year, was fun, but very awkward at times.

On the joco site?  Also, I'm pretty sure everyone will still be a complete stranger.

2015-12-04 11:01:43 AM
I went solo last year too.  I did OK.  The Speed Meeting event helps.

2015-12-04 11:06:38 AM
ok, I'm now actively looking.  Sorry for being so lazy.

2015-12-04 11:24:50 AM

vonmatrices: ok, I'm now actively looking.  Sorry for being so lazy.

Just in case you're not one of the posters in the thread this morning, here's what you're looking for:

Good luck!

2015-12-04 12:43:18 PM

TheEndIsNigh: vonmatrices: ok, I'm now actively looking.  Sorry for being so lazy.

Good luck!

I'm in there

2015-12-06 3:12:07 PM
You got me back on the cruise you goofballs.  Anything from here on in is your fault.

2015-12-14 12:16:47 PM
"Now offering rum, the lash, and... what's that third thing again?"

Buggery, It's got to be buggery.

2015-12-14 4:00:24 PM
Hope it doesn't end like this...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoNAOfkXxc
                                   "How long is it?"

2015-12-14 11:36:23 PM
The cruise is a lie! As you pass through the Bermuda triangle Aperture Science sentries will activate and herd you into test chambers which not even Chell could survive. Also, where do I sign up?

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all