Skip to content

Fark NotNewsletter: Is throwing beer cans at neighbors considered littering? Asking for a friend
Posted by DisseminationMonkey at 2019-05-22 2:56:34 PM, edited 2019-05-22 2:58:41 PM (63 comments) | Permalink

1131 clicks; posted to Main » on 23 May 2019 at 7:18 AM (1 year ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook

________________________

A message from Drew Curtis:
________________________

Hey everyone!  Happy pre-Memorial Day to you all.  Hope you have some fun plans. Mine all involve being outdoors as much as possible.  I've threatened my kids with me sitting in a kiddie pool in the backyard winging empty beer cans at them and the neighbors. They think I'm kidding.  We'll see if it turns into a good idea or not.

Last Friday I managed to get TotalFark Office Hours in for the second week in a row, which is some kind of record.  We talked about issues with linking and not linking to paywall sites such as the Washington Post and New York Times, and other sites like Raw Story that appear to just be scraping content.  The decision to link them or not link them isn't as clear cut as you might think (although there's a strong consensus that Raw Story should get the boot). How so? Sign up for TotalFark and find out, the thread is still there (and I've included it in this NotNewsletter as well).

I'm planning on doing another office hours on Friday, we should have a new topic this week.  Assuming I'm not out in the back yard already. I bet I could drag a laptop out there. Anyhow we'll see how it goes.  Remember kids, don't stand in fire, while swimming don't drown, and don't taunt the Dynamite Monkey.

________________________

We now return you to your usual Fark NotNewsletter.
________________________

Comment Votes

Some of the top-voted smartest and funniest comments from the past week

Funny:
LewDux changed a photo to include underboob (this image is probably awkward for work)
WickerNipple explained why a truck sprayed rainbows everywhere
Pocket Ninja explained how we could tell that a story about a pre-wedding catastrophe was real
NeoCortex42 showed how things really went down in King's Landing ("Game of Thrones" spoilers)
Im_Gumby gave advice on determining the popularity of a revealing style of swimsuit
scottydoesntknow knew what Arnold Schwarzenegger needed to do after being kicked in the back
JerseyTim shared a statement from George R. R. Martin distancing himself from the "Game of Thrones" final season (spoilers)
I Have A Bo Burnham GIF For That explained why parents put cameras in their son's room
markie_farkie had a really gross idea 🤮
GRCooper was sad about the passing of Tim Conway

Smart:
sassyfrancis had a solution for a teen whose parents put cameras in his room to keep him from touching himself
markie_farkie had a really gross idea 🤮
Great_Milenko reacted to the penultimate episode of "Game of Thrones"
Al Sicandar defended men who are afraid of women or who pretend to be afraid of women
sigdiamond2000 generalized the generalizers
Cagey B explained the problem with massage parlors that engage in prostitution
DOCTORD000M helped out an article writer with writing about pro-immunization doctors
theflatline discussed the U.S. Supreme Court ruling against Apple
tothekor commented on the options for a prisoner in Alabama who became pregnant from an apparent rape
PC LOAD LETTER figured that at least one "Game of Thrones" actor wouldn't mind redoing the final season

CSB Sunday Morning:  Gardening stories
Smart:
 wademh chose flowers in a grass neighborhood
Funny:  davidphogan found out who ate all the habaneros from the garden

CSB [Cool Story, Bro] Sunday Morning is a thread where Farkers share stories based on a weekly topic. If you have a topic idea for a CSB Sunday Morning thread, please submit it on Saturday afternoon/evening (if you're posting an intro, you'll want to write it out first so you can copy and paste it in for the Boobies), or email dugitman

TotalFark Discussion:
Note: This section can only be accessed by TotalFarkers
Smart: thatguyoverthere70 let us know how to get rid of a bowling ball
Smart: Shadow Blasko argued against blocking Washington Post links on Fark because of their paywall
Funny: Chris Ween answered the question, "What do you use to trim your beard?"
Funny: LineNoise and wife had an adventure with a robe buddy
Funny: Old Man Winter knew how a fellow TotalFarker met a bartender with an unfortunate tattoo

Politics Funny:
Calypsocookie had a warning for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Precious Roy's Horse Dividers asked a question about Matt Gaetz - if you're confused, apparently that's a reference to this story about Matt Gaetz
Bf+ shared someone's reaction to Donald Trump's claim that he wasn't warned about about Michael Flynn
AdmirableSnackbar was feeling optimistic about the future
fifthofzen summarized Elizabeth Warren's feelings about Fox News

Bonus FarkStaff Pick:
Farkers added to the "Family Guy" descriptions of Sean Hannity. Thanks to lindalouwho for nominating this thread for FarkStaff Pick.

Politics Smart:
dionysusaur gave a reason why males shouldn't have a say in the abortion debate
Weaver95 saw evidence that Vladimir Putin is close to achieving another one of his goals
parasol argued that some males have earned a say in the abortion debate
elysive reassured anyone worried about male babies being aborted
The Goddamn Batman gave a reason why 12-year-old girls don't need to be forced to carry and give birth to their rapists' babies

Contest Votes

Some of the top-voted contest entries from last week, listed from highest number of votes down

Photoshops:
Daddy's Big Pink Man-Squirrel created a toy for M.C. Escher fans
Alligator found an ever-ready candidate for president
RedZoneTuba made a Lego set that people will fight over
durbnpoisn solved the biggest problem with Legos
Thrakkorzog gave a kitten what it really wants to eat
Alligator found Cliff Clavin's long-lost brother
Herb Utsmelz showed that someone really did go out and get a boat
Stantz combined a $91 million rabbit with an M.C. Escher classic to form a whole new work of art
Yammering_Splat_Vector showed us what Doggie Heaven might look like
Alligator designed some very Farkish bookends

Farktography:
SoCalChris won Farktography Contest No. 732: "Favorite Things" with silver-white winters that melt into springs

Farktography is Fark's weekly photography contest. If you would like to suggest a Farktography theme, you can contact Elsinore or stop by the Farktography Forum.

Upcoming Fark Parties

See Farkers up close in their unnatural habitats

Thursday, June 20: Buffalo, NY Fark Party - Shakespeare in Delaware Park

Fark Weird News Quiz Results (brought to you by ox45tallboy)

Yet another fun time on the quiz, including an interesting discussion on "choose your own job title." Unfortunately no one made the 1000 club this week, so we won't be removing the plastic covers from the furniture. I hate those things, because you can't move around without it sounding like you farted. Anyways, kqc7011 came out on top with 978, followed by Denjiro in second with 952 and Oliver Twisted in third with 915. Tax Boy made fourth with 911, and edmo wraps up the top 5 with 908.

The hardest question on the Hard Quiz was over which game publisher suffered a walkout by employees, who were striking over forced arbitration. Only 16% of Quiztakers knew that Epic Games publishes "League of Legends," which is the most popular online game in the world right now. The "freemium" game actually has 100 million unique players per month, which is about the number of people who saw "Avengers: Endgame" in its opening weekend.

The easiest question on the Hard Quiz was over which former "Jersey Shore" cast member managed to post Instagram updates while in the middle of a prison stint for tax evasion. 83% of quiztakers knew that it was Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino who is currently in the clink. Although if you ever watched the show, you wouldn't be surprised at news that any of the cast members were incarcerated.

The hardest question on the Easy Quiz was over Brad Pitt's brother Doug, and his latest commercial spoofing the ending scene from "Se7en." Only 46% of quiztakers knew that it was beer inside the box - specifically, the Doin' Good Orange Wheat Ale from Mother's Brewing Company. I'm not sure what it says about Fark that 54% of us associated "box" with "wine," but I choose to believe it's because we think of Doug Pitt as a wine kind of guy more than a beer kind of guy. If you missed the commercial (and the hilarious TV-friendly dialogue edits), you can check it out here

The easiest question on the Easy Quiz was over Mt. Kilimanjaro and its home country looking at a cable car system to accommodate tourists who wish to see the summit but can't make the climb. 93% of quiztakers proved themselves geographically inclined and knew that the highest point in Africa could be found in Tanzania. Also in Tanzania, you can find the Gombe Stream National Park, where Dr. Jane Goodall talked to chimps and wandered around in the mists.

If you missed the Quiz, you can catch up on it here. Congratulations to the winners, and we'll be doing it all again this week!

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

2019-05-22 3:00:33 PM
Fark user imageView Full Size

2019-05-22 3:05:27 PM
Hey I made the NNL...sonofabiatch.

Where can I buy flowers?

2019-05-22 3:06:40 PM

Chris Ween: Hey I made the NNL...sonofabiatch.

Where can I buy flowers?

Drew sends them to you.

2019-05-22 3:07:51 PM

Chris Ween: Hey I made the NNL...sonofabiatch.

Where can I buy flowers?

Apparently the fix was in.

2019-05-22 3:07:58 PM

Chris Ween: Hey I made the NNL...sonofabiatch.

Where can I buy flowers?

For me? Awww, thanks.

2019-05-22 3:09:18 PM

Chris Ween: Hey I made the NNL...sonofabiatch.

Where can I buy flowers?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

*deep breath*

Oololololololololololol

2019-05-22 3:10:05 PM

Chris Ween: Hey I made the NNL...sonofabiatch.

Where can I buy flowers?

If I have learned anything in the last 24 hours is that Cheese Danish will get you everywhere

2019-05-22 3:12:02 PM
Not if the beer can is full...

2019-05-22 3:12:06 PM

Ass_Master_Flash: Chris Ween: Hey I made the NNL...sonofabiatch.

Where can I buy flowers?

and with my lactose intolerance, that means it will also get everywhere

2019-05-22 3:14:28 PM

SansNeural: Chris Ween: Hey I made the NNL...sonofabiatch.

Where can I buy flowers?

Drew sends them to you.

Fark user imageView Full Size

It's so pretty!

2019-05-22 3:15:03 PM
I added a thing for Saturday to the Buffalo Fark Party.

I know it will just confuse people but Canalside is slacking on posting events in a timely manner.

Check it out.

One, both, up to you. My email is in the usual place.

2019-05-22 3:16:29 PM
Neighbors here complain when I throw beer cans over the fence, so I make sure they get thrown a tad farther.

img.fark.netView Full Size

2019-05-22 3:17:38 PM

Mikey1969: Not if the beer can is full...

And then you were just being neighborly.

/It's not my fault you can't catch.
//The swelling will go down soon.
///Here's another beer to help.

2019-05-22 3:18:19 PM
I threw a whole pile of firewood over in my neighbor's yard once when he accused us of taking some of his firewood. He came over and started putting "Xs" on HIS pieces of wood. I threw about a cord of wood in front of his door.

He never bothered me again.

2019-05-22 3:19:54 PM
Only if they're empty

2019-05-22 3:22:52 PM

2019-05-22 3:24:06 PM

wantingout: Only if they're empty

If they're full, it's considered assault.

2019-05-22 3:24:39 PM
What Fark really needs is more stories about monks making beer

2019-05-22 3:25:27 PM

Mr. Fuzzypaws: I added a thing for Saturday to the Buffalo Fark Party.

Check it out.

One, both, up to you. My email is in the usual place.

Thanks for pointing that out - I'll edit the listing for next week's NotNewsletter. By the way, if you copy and paste the opening night reception link and try to go to it, it doesn't work. I know you can navigate to that same link from the site's home page and it works, you just can't go there directly. It's weird.

2019-05-22 3:25:39 PM
Jokes on you, Drew, I'm going to stand in fire while drowning!

2019-05-22 3:26:14 PM
Fark user imageView Full Size

2019-05-22 3:27:25 PM
Fark user imageView Full Size

2019-05-22 3:28:34 PM

2019-05-22 3:30:52 PM

DisseminationMonkey: By the way, if you copy and paste the opening night reception link and try to go to it, it doesn't work. I know you can navigate to that same link from the site's home page and it works, you just can't go there directly. It's weird.

Yeah. I saw that and added that to the post, too. Doesn't make any sense.

Thanks for posting it here.

2019-05-22 3:43:38 PM

KangTheMad: Jokes on you, Drew, I'm going to stand in fire while drowning!

Wonder if this would work in a kiddie pool.  More research needed

2019-05-22 3:48:46 PM
img.fark.netView Full Size

2019-05-22 3:49:43 PM

Mr. Fuzzypaws: Thanks for posting it here.

Thanks for planning Fark parties!

2019-05-22 3:52:43 PM

Yet when I start throwing beer cans at the strippers, I get "asked" to leave.

2019-05-22 4:00:56 PM

Yet when I start throwing beer cans at the strippers, I get "asked" to leave.

Same thing happens when I try to swipe my credit card.

2019-05-22 4:15:19 PM

For example this URL

Sometimes people post images on Fark that make me want to do a reverse Google image search to provide some explanation of the image or let me know where it came from.

For some, but not all Fark images, Google tells me it can't find the image.

Fark user imageView Full Size

What do the new(?)  "&" parameters in the URL mean?

2019-05-22 4:19:00 PM

For example this URL

For some, but not all Fark images, Google tells me it can't find the image.

[Fark user image 523x119]

What do the new(?)  "&" parameters in the URL mean?

Google can't associate Fark with undesirable images that way.  I guess.

2019-05-22 4:45:16 PM

Marbleisheavy: Mikey1969: Not if the beer can is full...

And then you were just being neighborly.

/It's not my fault you can't catch.
//The swelling will go down soon.
///Here's another beer to help.

Exactly!

Cold beer cans actually work well for injuries. We were starting to party one night, and I tried to break a log to stick in the fire(I had just barely opened my first beer, so I wasn't hammered yet), and it rebounded and smacked me in the face. I shook it off, grabbed a new beer, and held it to my eye. When the beer I was drinking was done, I grabbed two more, threw the one I'd been using as an ice pack back in the cooler, drank one and iced my eye down with the other. I repeate this two or three times. 😁

Still had a nasty motherfarking black eye, but at least it didn't stop our party.

2019-05-22 5:33:20 PM
It's not littering if you throw them hard enough that they stick.

2019-05-22 5:42:39 PM

Colour_out_of_Space: It's not littering if you throw them hard enough that they stick.

We call that recycling.

2019-05-22 5:57:28 PM
Fark user imageView Full Size

2019-05-22 6:15:47 PM
Fark user imageView Full Size

2019-05-22 6:42:49 PM

For example this URL

For some, but not all Fark images, Google tells me it can't find the image.

[Fark user image 523x119]

What do the new(?)  "&" parameters in the URL mean?

Just FYI, I sent this to dev and they're checking into it. Whenever you're wondering about anything on the tech side of Fark, you can always contact them through Farkback. It's the technical errors/difficulties/questions/bugs option in the dropdown. This goes for everyone - even if you think something weird is just you, please contact them about it. They always like to know what's going on.

2019-05-22 6:52:46 PM
Are the beer cans empty or full.  This information is important.

2019-05-22 6:54:10 PM
By they way, davidphogan's comment from the CSB Sunday Morning thread cracked me up.

2019-05-22 6:54:43 PM

2019-05-22 7:00:45 PM

Harry Freakstorm: It's called giving back to the community.  Someone will pick them up, turn them in to money and exchange that money for booze and cigarettes.

The circle of booze... LIFE!  I mean life!

2019-05-22 7:02:13 PM
Fark user imageView Full Size

2019-05-22 7:03:44 PM

Drew: KangTheMad: Jokes on you, Drew, I'm going to stand in fire while drowning!

Wonder if this would work in a kiddie pool.  More research needed

Naw, Drude, that's standing in water while burning.  A completely different concept.

2019-05-22 7:06:53 PM

Oreminer: KangTheMad: nursetim: In Michigan there is a 10 cent deposit on cans, which is not news to any Seinfeld fans, so in a way your neighbor is making it rain.

Yet when I start throwing beer cans at the strippers, I get "asked" to leave.

Same thing happens when I try to swipe my credit card.

For future reference, the crack of a stripper's ass is not an appropriate place to swipe a card.

2019-05-22 7:12:24 PM

DisseminationMonkey: real_headhoncho: Are the beer cans empty or full.  This information is important.

Sounds like Heisenbrau Uncertainty Brewery.  There is a fifty percent chance that your beer is finished or not.

/no I am NOT drunk!
//I've only had four margaritas!
///plenty of room

2019-05-22 7:14:38 PM

[snip]

It never occurred to me that anyone would do that.  Thought that'd be more of a TinEye thing.

Anyway, our image URLs have always changed weekly, to keep people from hotlinking 'em on other sites.  (That's what the extra stuff on the URL is for.)  We are currently moving images to a cloud provider -- that's why some images have one URL and some another entirely for the next few weeks.  Eventually we'll move the rest of the site too.

I have no idea why this would change any Google behavior (or any other behavior) though, unless you caught it right on the day of the week that the URLs all changed.

2019-05-22 7:33:15 PM

Mike: HairBolus: Fark seems to have updated its image cache in a way that sometimes Google can't see.

[snip]

A few farkers have asked me about the story behind this gif:

Fark user imageView Full Size

So I isolated an image, uploaded it to TinEye and learned nothing.

/dang nab it

2019-05-22 7:33:56 PM

DisseminationMonkey: HairBolus: Fark seems to have updated its image cache in a way that sometimes Google can't see.

For example this URL

For some, but not all Fark images, Google tells me it can't find the image.

[Fark user image 523x119]

What do the new(?)  "&" parameters in the URL mean?

In spite of what Drew said...

TAUNT, TAUNT TAUNT TAUNT TAUNT!

2019-05-22 7:40:00 PM