Skip to content

Fark NotNewsletter: Introducing a new old Fark tag
Posted by DisseminationMonkey at 2019-01-23 12:39:06 PM, edited 2019-01-23 12:46:25 PM (66 comments) | Permalink

1597 clicks; posted to Main » on 23 Jan 2019 at 8:54 PM (25 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

________________________

A message from Drew Curtis:
________________________

Fark has a new tag: Vintage

We often get submissions that aren't exactly news - there is quite a bit of content out there that isn't tied to any particular news or event. A lot of other places love this kind of thing because they can run it whenever they want. We wanted a way to run some of it too - a lot of this content is fun and interesting, just not topical. Our goal with the tag is to have fun with it while letting you know it's not exactly current.

We threw around a lot of ideas and "vintage" seemed a good fit - then the tag creation with the black background and green pixelated font made it perfect.

We've seen submitters experiment with a few other uses since we set it live this past weekend, especially political. We're happy seeing it get used and we're looking forward to more.

________________________

We now return you to your usual Fark NotNewsletter.
________________________

Comment Votes

Some of the top-voted smartest and funniest comments from the past week

Funny:
EvilEgg has the best blood type
secondpsych summed up what happened when a drunk couple fell to their deaths while taking a selfie
Eddie Adams from Torrance had a hacked password
fat boy suggested Prince Phillip's title be changed after he crashed his car
gopher321 asked a question about Sansa Stark's hair
hubiestubert shared the diary of someone who is stuck on a roller coaster ride that takes 12 years to complete
TomTudbury used the easiest method for testing blood type
Pocket Ninja had a fun game for everyone to play
GRCooper showed one person's reaction to Chris Pratt's engagement to Katherine Schwarzenegger
I Have A Bo Burnham GIF For That, unfortunately, had a GIF for Louis C.K.'s bad behavior

Bonus FarkStaff Pick:
UberDave gave advice on what to do if your boss stinks

Smart:
HighlanderRPI thought that a pair of scientists weren't appropriately identified
Hypnotic Harlequin stood up for "Friends"
the_innkeeper used a lot of acronyms
HMS_Blinkin had advice for high school kids who designed something to help the U.S.military save money
Theaetetus thought that someone was confused about what "terrorist" means
SuburbanCowboy really taught that Apple store guy a lesson
DarkSoulNoHope argued against leaving bigots alone
optional agreed that we can give some bigots a break
Killer Cars believed that sometimes the person complaining in the actual problem
hubiestubert explained what people like Louis C.K. should already know, but apparently need explained to them

TotalFark Discussion:
Note: This section can only be accessed by TotalFarkers
Funny: merrillvillain could buff this right out
Funny: The_Sponge told us about some quality bar graffiti
Smart: FriarReb98 was apparently stalking some chick
Smart: OneFretAway knew what to do when a recruiter sends you a schedule with all the applicants' information on it
Funny: GoSurfing advised a Farker who was mistakenly being included in strangers' group texts
Funny: flucto recalled an event that a great many Farkers remember well
Funny: OneFretAway read between the lines

Politics Funny:
impaler enjoyed a White House feast
I Have A Bo Burnham GIF For That filled in for the White House chefs
BizarreMan found it extremely difficult to explain a politician's behavior
MattytheMouse did business with Donald Trump
Hypnotic Harlequin fulfilled a Farker's particular fetish

Politics Smart:
Miss5280 proposed an agreement between Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell
SurfaceTension read ill intent in a letter from Donald Trump
Thundrull discussed what Maxine Waters could do to Trump
PirateKing figured that Mitch McConnell is feeling envious
Chariset misspelled "hamberders"

CSB Sunday Morning:  The geekiest thing you ever said or did
Smart:
 Rigodamndiculous scared off an alpha male
Funny:  Hyjamon made a calculated move

CSB [Cool Story, Bro] Sunday Morning is a thread where Farkers share stories based on a weekly topic. If you have a topic idea for a CSB Sunday Morning thread, please submit it on Saturday afternoon/evening (if you're posting an intro, you'll want to write it out first so you can copy and paste it in for the Boobies), or email dugitman

Contest Votes

Some of the top-voted contest entries from last week, listed from highest number of votes down

Photoshops:
damat01 discovered the W-spot
Low Budget Mofo took this dog for a silly walk
RedZoneTuba found an enthusiastic dance partner
Circusdog320 showed a doctor patting his patient's leg to reassure him that he'd be okay
Don_cos improved a famous work of art
sl4psh0t ran into two celebrities in a restaurant
RedZoneTuba found a former president at his favorite golf course
Yammering_Splat_Vector showed someone making the same door mistake that the above president did
hail2daking reminded us what can happen if you're not careful when choosing a tattoo artist
mr_crash_davis revealed Volkswagen's new logo
Don_cos invited us to behold the true power of Fark

Farktography:
BecauseISaidSo won Farktography Contest No. 715: "Straight Out Of Camera 2" with a rooty ficus

Farktography is Fark's weekly photography contest. If you would like to suggest a Farktography theme, you can contact Elsinore or stop by the Farktography Forum.

Upcoming Fark Parties

See Farkers up close in their unnatural habitats

Friday, February 8: Eugene, OR Fark Party
Wednesday, February 27: Las Vegas Fark and 50th Birthday Party
Friday, March 15: Fort Collins, CO Fark Party

Fark Weird News Quiz Results (brought to you by ox45tallboy)

We had yet another fun time on the Quiz this week, and we learned that not everyone likes their cornbread the same way. Although as Chris Rock so indelicately put it, "Ain't nothin' wrong with that."

Although we did have an 11/11, time was a factor and therefore the 1000 club remains empty this week. whither_apophis came out on top with 978, followed by Ivo Shandor in second with 925 and the password is password in third with 921. In fourth we have bratface with 909, barely edging out coldcuts who took fifth with 908.

The hardest question on the Hard Quiz was about the ongoing insurance battle over a statue used as the focal point for "The World's Greatest Treasure Hunt," a book containing puzzles and clues that point the way to a secret location with $1,000,000 prize. Only 33% of quiztakers knew that it was a golden, diamond-encrusted eagle that folks were looking for. The insurance company is appealing the court's decision ordering it to pay out the full amount of the policy after it was stolen during a brazen mugging, arguing that it wasn't escorted by two people and that it's worth nowhere near the $5 million it was insured for. Because how do you put a price on a piece of art most people have never even heard of?

The easiest question on the Hard Quiz was over the current top spot in the running battle over the World's Most Valuable Company. 82% of people knew that Amazon now holds the top spot after a brief reign by Microsoft. What Jeff Bezos' impending divorce might do to their stock price is currently a matter of speculation.

The hardest question on the Easy Quiz was over which '90s industrial rocker just had his 50th birthday blowout. Only 50% of quiztakers knew that it was Marilyn Manson who invited an odd mix of celebrities to join him in LA. Trent Reznor, who is 53 now, actually gave Marilyn Manson his start in the music business back in the '90s.

The easiest question on the Easy Quiz was over what movie's YouTube "challenge" had actually prompted a message from Netflix to basically "stop being idiots." 92% of quiztakers knew of the "Bird Box challenge," which involved people doing things that normally required eyesight while blindfolded, Videos can be found of people attempting to drive, cross busy streets, and now tattoo someone. I don't know which of those is the dumbest, but I'm guessing it's the guy who agreed to get a tattoo from a blindfolded artist.

Congratulations once again to the winners, and we'll be doing it all again this week. If you missed the quiz last week, you can catch up on it here.

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

2019-01-23 12:42:21 PM

2019-01-23 12:44:30 PM
I got one whoohoo! Not to bad for a "noob".

2019-01-23 12:44:32 PM
It's news. It's Fark.

2019-01-23 12:46:11 PM
So can you resubmit old Fark threads with the vintage tag?

Asking for a friend who isn't wasting enough of his life on Fark already.

2019-01-23 12:46:12 PM

2019-01-23 12:48:23 PM
I was expecting the "Walken" tag...

2019-01-23 12:53:41 PM

2019-01-23 12:58:09 PM
Buy 6 months of TF, get name mentioned WooHoo

2019-01-23 12:59:46 PM
Can the Vintage tag be used for old news stories?

2019-01-23 01:00:15 PM
By the way, all y'all. The vintage tag? Genius. Thank you for your "hard work" (whiskey) and "dedication" (more whiskey).

You guys rock! Or at least stagger.

Last time: enjoy.
2CELLOS - Welcome To The Jungle [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
Youtube 3V7EugoweM4

2019-01-23 01:02:06 PM
What happened to increasing the gif size limit?

2019-01-23 01:03:40 PM
Vintage tag, but still no spliffy?

2019-01-23 01:05:42 PM
i.imgur.comView Full Size

2019-01-23 01:09:44 PM

abhorrent1: What happened to increasing the gif size limit?

Well, now we have a tag to describe the problem. Progress!

2019-01-23 01:17:41 PM

cowgirl toffee: [img.fark.net image 220x183]

Aw....its not really clickable.

2019-01-23 01:17:58 PM

Toxophil: abhorrent1: What happened to increasing the gif size limit?

Well, now we have a tag to describe the problem. Progress!

Maybe Drew was drunk and doesn't remember.

2019-01-23 01:18:36 PM

Chuck87: Can the Vintage tag be used for old news stories?

That's one of the things we discussed  This is perfect for an older news article that has suddenly become relevant due to recent happenings. For instance, the story broke last month about Jerry Falwell Jr.'s "youth hostel" in Miami he had opened with a poolboy who he had met on vacation, and how hypocritical it was for him to profit off of someplace Liberty University students would be expelled for patronizing. Someone dug up a review of the flophouse published a couple of years ago, which gave some perspective to the story.

2019-01-23 01:19:20 PM
It must be for Italian posts.  You know, vin-taug-gee

2019-01-23 01:21:57 PM
For those too lazy to click, this would be the chick I was stalking:

2019-01-23 01:23:09 PM

mama2tnt: Vintage tag, but still no

dpoisn.com?

//ftfy

But seriously...  I have seen MANY threads calling for the Spliffy tag.  I have seen exactly ZERO call for a Vintage tag.  I like it.  And I get it.  But I don't see how these decisions are made where the users have absolutely nothing to say about it...

2019-01-23 01:27:54 PM
I, personally, am proud that I reminded MsCowgirlToffee of C&H.

I believe I did.

I believe I can FLY

2019-01-23 01:29:31 PM
So, to add my question:
Since we dropped the "It's not news, it's Fark," why do we have the Notnewsletter?
How about Realnewsletter Real Funny?

/not serious
//will become just another inside joke

2019-01-23 01:36:11 PM
I'm Still Holding Out for a return of the music tab. Keep hope alive like Jesse would say

2019-01-23 01:40:07 PM

abhorrent1: Toxophil: abhorrent1: What happened to increasing the gif size limit?

Well, now we have a tag to describe the problem. Progress!

Maybe Drew was drunk and doesn't remember.

I was drunk and don't remember

Actually we've got something in the works but it's gonna take a few weeks at best.  More on that later

2019-01-23 01:42:22 PM
Glad to see the new tag. I've seen really old stuff that's worth reading on many occasions. The only downside is many have confused Fark with a news site.

2019-01-23 01:44:02 PM

2019-01-23 01:53:45 PM

toddalmighty: Yah, Drew, you still haven't answered my Farkback about the tag being illegible for my old eyes.

We're actually discussing that right now. You should receive a response soon.

2019-01-23 01:55:47 PM

abhorrent1: What happened to increasing the gif size limit?

Probably not much as gifs can fark up load time faster than you can type "Cry me a river."

From my end, I can say that it has led me to learn how to use those online thingamabobbies that allow you to resize gifs to a Fark.com allowable size.  So I can add Choosy Mother to the "Other Skills" section of my resume.

CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!

2019-01-23 01:56:14 PM

2019-01-23 02:03:07 PM

brap: abhorrent1: What happened to increasing the gif size limit?

CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!

It's more about quality than length for me. (that's what she said).

2019-01-23 02:06:28 PM

Fark needs a "Well that was a refreshingly agreeable exchange, good day to you and yours." button.

2019-01-23 02:14:10 PM

brap: abhorrent1: I use those thingamabobbies as well. I certainly don't want to see full length movie gifs posted here. It's more about quality than length for me. (that's what she said).

If that ever happens they'll probably make one

2019-01-23 02:19:51 PM

2019-01-23 02:24:42 PM

durbnpoisn: mama2tnt: Vintage tag, but still no [dpoisn.com image 54x11]?

//ftfy

We get what you're saying, and you're not the only person who wants to see it (some of us do, too.) But keep in mind that marijuana isn't legal in most places, and even where it is legal, it's use (even when off work) still not permitted for many workplaces. We really don't want to see anyone get in trouble for Farking at work, or see the site banned at conservative workplaces. We'll still carry the stories that make the news,but we probably won't see a "Spliffy" tag anytime soon.

In the meantime, the fact that Fark doesn't have one and the submitters must work around it ("Spiffy",etc.) is what makes it funny. If Fark had a "Spliffy" tag, it wouldn't be quite as funny anymore.

2019-01-23 02:27:41 PM

edmo: [img.fark.net image 760x500]

i.stack.imgur.comView Full Size

2019-01-23 02:29:16 PM

FriarReb98: For those too lazy to click, this would be the chick I was stalking:
[img.fark.net image 850x637]She's become a local celebrity, spotted all over this island/neck/glorified sandbar near me. I went looking for her on Saturday, walked most of the island/neck, and found her about 50 feet offshore on a rock near the very beginning of the causeway.

I think the next pic in that series sums up that maybe you need to be a bit more discrete...

2019-01-23 02:49:02 PM

Non Sequitur Man: [img.fark.net image 260x197]

I've seen this for years. What is the backstory?

2019-01-23 03:01:32 PM

ox45tallboy: durbnpoisn: mama2tnt: Vintage tag, but still no [dpoisn.com image 54x11]?

//ftfy

Well, alrighty then.  At least there is a reasonable and sensible explanation.  That rarest of things.

So, thanks for that...

2019-01-23 03:05:38 PM

durbnpoisn: mama2tnt: Vintage tag, but still no [dpoisn.com image 54x11]?

//ftfy

Between snakes, spiders, and all other manner of cringe-inducing content, we've frequently and repeatedly asked for a simple "NOPE" tag.

Welcome to the waiting list. Get comfortable.

2019-01-23 03:08:21 PM

rebelyell2006: Non Sequitur Man: [img.fark.net image 260x197]

I've seen this for years. What is the backstory?

Pulled one of the images and searched for it on Tineye. No information about its origin were shown in the results. So, in basic Farkacular, I got nothin'.

2019-01-23 03:12:34 PM
Farkacular is like vernacular but with less vern.

2019-01-23 05:29:11 PM
Your search - Farkacula - did not match any image results.

No Farking vampires?!?

2019-01-23 05:39:19 PM
*playfully techicolour-hiccups in Drew's shoes*

2019-01-23 06:56:05 PM
img.fark.netView Full Size

Or I soon shall at least.

2019-01-23 07:33:10 PM

2019-01-23 08:32:55 PM
We often should always get submissions that aren't exactly news

FTFY

2019-01-23 08:44:58 PM

abhorrent1: What happened to increasing the gif size limit?

GIFs suck?

2019-01-23 09:06:46 PM
I guess we can retire this guy

2019-01-23 09:11:44 PM
Was hoping for the Foobies tag and tab back.

2019-01-23 09:29:44 PM
Do posts about your mom go under "vintage"

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Top Commented
Javascript is required to view headlines in widget.