Skip to content

Patent-infringement lawsuit against Fark settled for zero dollars. Also, patent trolls suck hairy donkey balls
Posted by Drew at 2011-08-10 10:59:00 AM (360 comments) | Permalink

18055 clicks; posted to Main » on 10 Aug 2011 at 11:00 AM (9 years ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook

A lot of you were already aware that Fark was sued by a patent troll back in January. I wanted to share that as of today, after eight months of legal work, that lawsuit was dismissed.

Here's the tl;dr version:

Their patent had nothing to do with Fark. The patent troll realized we were going to fight them instead of settle, so they asked for our best offer. I said how about you get nothing and drop the lawsuit? They accepted.

/tl;dr

Normally, we wouldn't be able to talk about any of the details. Terms of patent lawsuit settlements are usually bound by ironclad nondisclosure agreements. NDAs allow patent trolls to extract maximum settlements from each entity they've filed lawsuits against - as a result no one knows who paid what. In the last round of settlement negotiations we asked to strike the NDA provision. They agreed (and to the attorneys out there reading this, I'm as baffled as you are).

Striking the NDA was crucial because I wanted to be able to tell everyone what really happened: we didn't pay them a single dime.

The patent covered a method for inputting news releases into a web form, which would then compile the news release and email it to media outlets. Now, aside from the fact that a ton of prior art exists and that the patent should never have been awarded in the first place, Fark and all the other websites named in the lawsuit don't produce "news releases". In the world of journalism, the term "news release" is equivalent to "press release" - the patent itself equates the two in the opening description. Could a judge have ruled otherwise? Sure. They've been known to rule that the sky is green - which is why this lawsuit was dangerous.

As much as I'd like to fight the good fight, we reluctantly decided against pursuing a counterclaim against the patent holder. Too expensive--as in a couple million dollars too expensive, years of legal wrangling, and no guarantee of recovering all of the spent money by the time it was over. I sincerely hope someone still in the case with deeper pockets pursues these guys. I'm happy to help in any way I can. Unfortunately, Yahoo settled a while back, and Conde Nast settled out for Reddit this week. AOL is still in it though, I believe they're inclined to hang in - especially given what happened with Fark settling for nothing.

At any rate, this bullshiat is finally over. It was a nightmare. Imagine someone breaking into your home, then being forced to sit on the couch while their lawyers file motions over how much stuff they can take. My wife Heather said my first draft of this post sounded too angry, probably due to the fact that every third word was an f-bomb (among other things I paraphrased our best one-time settlement offer as "how about jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself", which may be a more accurate depiction of how I really felt at the time). I won't lie though, I was angry and I am still. Too much money was wasted on this, too many sleepless nights, too many hours away from running Fark, and all this because someone else decided that suing companies for bearing a vague resemblance to their patent (patents they don't even appear to use themselves) is a good business model. We're short a full-time employee thanks to these douchebags.

I'm just glad it's over. Huge thanks to Legal Team Fark at Roetzel & Andress, who were able to quickly grasp the reasons why this patent lawsuit was bullshiat and hone those arguments into legal nightmares for the plaintiff. I can't recommend them highly enough to anyone going through a similar situation. After all, when's the last time you saw a patent lawsuit settled for zero dollars? Pretty rare.

2011-08-10 11:02:06 AM

2011-08-10 11:02:52 AM
So a site that rewards and encourages trolling had to fight trolls? Awesome.

2011-08-10 11:03:33 AM
It's rare to hear good news such as this when it comes to patent trolls. Congratulations!

2011-08-10 11:03:53 AM
great, no more boobie threads.

2011-08-10 11:03:55 AM
Yay Drew! Great news.

2011-08-10 11:04:08 AM
Wow. That's awesome. Congratulations, and thanks for fighting!

2011-08-10 11:04:33 AM
If you'd stop infringing, you wouldn't have these problems.

2011-08-10 11:04:44 AM
HOORAY!!! Now I can keep submitting to you jerks instead of a holding company!!!!

/seriously though, awesome news.

2011-08-10 11:04:50 AM
Sweet!

2011-08-10 11:05:05 AM
I would wear a shirt that said "how about jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself".

An uncensored version.

Congrats Drew.

2011-08-10 11:05:06 AM
That's good news.
Patent trolls just hit Minecraft as well, saying Mojang can't use the name "scrolls" for their next game because people would confuse it with Oblivion:The Elder Scrolls.
Hopefully he doesn't fall for their bullshiat.

//let's kill all the lawyers

2011-08-10 11:06:03 AM
Drew the next time someone wants to sue me I will use this line,also congrats.

2011-08-10 11:06:27 AM
It's not often enough that you hear a story like this one...good job Fark! I'm glad you had the squirrel cajones to see it through and not give in to douchebags.

2011-08-10 11:06:35 AM

Orgasmatron138: So a site that rewards and encourages trolling had to fight trolls? Awesome.

Yeah, but who's the more trollish? The troll, or the troll who trolls him?

2011-08-10 11:06:46 AM
Well done!

2011-08-10 11:06:52 AM
In true Fark spirit, send them a printout of boxxy saying "you's trollin."

2011-08-10 11:06:53 AM

ArtosRC: I guess this means that you can now go after trolls, terrible headlines, and repeats. Victory for all!

One can only hope.
Congrats Drew!

2011-08-10 11:07:07 AM
I submitted this with a better headline.

2011-08-10 11:07:08 AM
Awesome. I'm glad that's over with.

2011-08-10 11:07:36 AM
Suck it, patent trolls. Suck it long and hard.

The good guys won.

2011-08-10 11:07:46 AM

cretinbob: That's good news.
Hopefully he doesn't fall for their bullshiat.

//let's kill all the lawyers

That's not a patent troll, that's a trademark troll

Anywho, good to hear Drew!

2011-08-10 11:07:46 AM
You should call Fox News and tell them about this.

2011-08-10 11:07:54 AM

2011-08-10 11:08:08 AM
Wouldn't have expected it to end any other way... well, going after the farkwads would have been icing but VERY nice Drew. I truely believe that the existance of the trolls on FARK helped you realize they exist inthe business world and pointing out their bullshiat (flynavy style) is the best way.

2011-08-10 11:08:37 AM
A sad day for troll kind ... ah but we can always make more trollbots

2011-08-10 11:08:41 AM
TLDNR

2011-08-10 11:08:49 AM
Congrats.

Patent trolls are scum.

2011-08-10 11:08:53 AM
Congrats on keeping a civil tone when discussing this case. I'm not sure I could have.

Also, props on the home invasion analogy - best one I've ever heard for legal assaults.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns" Mario Puzo (from "The Godfather")

2011-08-10 11:08:54 AM

/Gongrats

2011-08-10 11:09:30 AM
I just applied for a copyright on this picture I took a while back of a squirrel with a huge nut sack

2011-08-10 11:09:46 AM
F'yeah! Glad to hear everything ended (as well as it could); Looking forward to a few more decades of funny news and taking out trolls...

2011-08-10 11:09:52 AM
Excellent. Way to fight the b/turds.

2011-08-10 11:10:15 AM
Fb-'s paternity suits, however, still working their way through the system.

2011-08-10 11:10:21 AM
As a patent attorney, patent trolls irk me.

2011-08-10 11:10:29 AM
rockstararmy.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 11:10:58 AM
Were the legal fees paid in TotalFark subscriptions, BIE, or beer?

2011-08-10 11:11:30 AM
You won, that means you can cock punch them. Right?

2011-08-10 11:11:34 AM
I just signed up for TF to support Drew.

2011-08-10 11:11:46 AM
We live in a world designed by lawyers to benefit lawyers.

Congrats for not giving in and winning.

2011-08-10 11:12:18 AM

IXI Jim IXI: Fb-'s paternity suits, however, still working their way through the system.

Old school represent!

2011-08-10 11:12:40 AM
Dear Fark, would you be interested in patent 6,368,227?

2011-08-10 11:12:55 AM
Way to take on Apple Co. Drew!

2011-08-10 11:12:58 AM

nutkick_42: Offer: Excrement to be provided by a third party (referred to hereafter as JACK) and plaintiff is granted permission to perform an act of self-coitus.

/Gongrats

Win.

Also, good for Fark. Seriously.

2011-08-10 11:13:10 AM
good work drew, now you wont have to blow your lawyer to afford him.

2011-08-10 11:13:14 AM
Awesome Drew!

2011-08-10 11:13:22 AM
Yay!

2011-08-10 11:13:36 AM
therapyfree.files.wordpress.comView Full Size

Congratulations.

2011-08-10 11:13:52 AM

lol

& congrats!

2011-08-10 11:14:00 AM

Andrew Wiggin: great, no more boobie threads.

Are you kidding? We should celebrate with a boobie thread! Shoot, *this* should be a boobie thread!

/can't post pics from my phone

2011-08-10 11:14:41 AM

*runs*

2011-08-10 11:15:05 AM
Congrats, just renewed my sub and glad of it.

2011-08-10 11:15:16 AM
These people appear to do NOTHING but go around and see what kind of match they can get between patents and anything that will gain them money. Whether it's accurate is irrelevant, and it sure ain't ethical. It's often cheaper to settle than it is to fight just for the reasons you listed. They count on that. The people responsible for this BS need to be keel hauled, drawn and quartered, dipped in lemon juice (for the burn) then honey and tied to fire ant hills.

That you walked away from the thing somewhat intact is very good news.

2011-08-10 11:15:37 AM
behold the power of FARK .... good going!

2011-08-10 11:15:41 AM
Glad you won this one, Drew. Too bad you can't countersue, but I can see your reasoning there and can't fault it.

Also, hot cocoa sampler box? ? Are we celebrating by digging up old Fark memes?

/My dog wants steak.

2011-08-10 11:15:45 AM
Thank you for not settling, Drew. These bastards are criminals. This needs to become a big story.

2011-08-10 11:16:06 AM
They don't use the patents themselves. There are companies that specialize only in buying patents and then suing every company that does anything remotely close to what the patent covers.

Good for you, Drew, for going the distance and tossing the NDA.

2011-08-10 11:16:12 AM
Isn't there something going on with Google and patent-trolling or something about Android and sub-sequentially any phone running Android? Maybe I was dreaming, but I thought I overheard someone discussing it recently

2011-08-10 11:16:14 AM
Congratulations, Drew.

Also, nice work on the settlement offer. My most famous one? "Tell the Plaintiffs to go piss up a rope." The mediator looked at me, horrified, waiting for me to give him a real counter. I just smiled from ear to ear and said, "Oh! And, also? Plaintiffs to provide own rope. Make sure you write that part down."

I am going to use yours next time.

2011-08-10 11:16:15 AM
It is time for patent reform.

2011-08-10 11:16:22 AM
I submitted this with a better headline

2011-08-10 11:16:27 AM
Good for you Drew. Congrats.

2011-08-10 11:16:32 AM
Fark has full-time employees now?

2011-08-10 11:16:51 AM

Chad Ochocinco is moving in with some poor family from Boston for a few weeks. If you cannot get some yuks and harhars out of that then the bastards have broken your sense of humor.

2011-08-10 11:17:30 AM
Congrats you showed them your pimp hand, and your pimp hand is strong.

2011-08-10 11:17:38 AM
congratulations Drew.

2011-08-10 11:17:48 AM
Drew,

Please post the patent troll's name and contact information.

-The Internets

2011-08-10 11:18:01 AM

(Or so I assume from their giving away the NDA.)

I hope it costs them; I'm insulted by proxy.

2011-08-10 11:18:02 AM
Congrats Drew

2011-08-10 11:18:33 AM
Thank you Anonymous Sponsor!

2011-08-10 11:18:52 AM

Bonus: get their legal team to jump ship with some ethically-compromised reasoning why they should go to the other side.

2011-08-10 11:19:00 AM
Score one for the good guys.

2011-08-10 11:19:15 AM

cretinbob: That's good news.
Hopefully he doesn't fall for their bullshiat.

//let's kill all the lawyers

No, that's a trademark suit which Bethesda is obligated to carry out.

2011-08-10 11:19:25 AM
Drew, if you were local I'd be leaving six packs on your front porch for this.

Thanks for fighting the good fight.

2011-08-10 11:19:42 AM
The price is right.

2011-08-10 11:19:47 AM
This is really awesome news, Drew. I'm really happy this is over for you!

/This explains the all caps Facebooking last night, huh?

2011-08-10 11:20:45 AM
BS loses one fight today! Awesome.

2011-08-10 11:21:09 AM
Congratulations Drew!

Free Total Fark for everyone to celebrate? Yes?

2011-08-10 11:21:16 AM

I'm more of the opinion that a horse's head might send a better message.

2011-08-10 11:21:58 AM
Full time employees?

Hey, Drew, can I work for Fark as a solicitor who gets TFers to pay up each month and get new clients (liters) to join the TF extravaganza?

2011-08-10 11:22:38 AM

todangst: This needs to become a big story.

I vote for finding a more interesting story to make "big."

2011-08-10 11:22:40 AM

Parasites is a better term.

2011-08-10 11:22:41 AM

btrflykate: /This explains the all caps Facebooking last night, huh?

With beer, lower case letters become redundant.

2011-08-10 11:22:51 AM
recently a judge ordered sanctions against a lawfirm known to work for patent trolls, as their actions were determined to be extortion.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110805/17230815417/patent-troll-law​yers-smac k ed-down-made-to-pay-sanctions-mass-lawsuits-followed-quick-settlement-​offers.sht ml

2011-08-10 11:23:02 AM
HUGE congrats!! This makes me happy like a little school girl. Yay for justice!

2011-08-10 11:23:05 AM
So do we all get a free month of Total fark in celebration?

2011-08-10 11:23:28 AM
Congrats!

Also... so your wife's name is heather eh? Is she hot like most Heathers?

2011-08-10 11:24:00 AM
FTFB: among other things I paraphrased our best one-time settlement offer as "how about jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself", which may be a more accurate depiction of how I really felt at the time

How YOU doin'?

2011-08-10 11:24:08 AM
"We'll give you half... of nothing"

2011-08-10 11:24:11 AM
Was meow said the dog the judge in the case?

Congrats!

2011-08-10 11:24:39 AM
I own the rights to "jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself." Please cease and desist from all further usage unless prior permission is granted and payment is made.

2011-08-10 11:24:46 AM
Anyone got a picture of the squirrel with big balls?

Good job Drew!

2011-08-10 11:24:47 AM
Yay! That is all

2011-08-10 11:24:57 AM

Dusk-You-n-Me: Score one for the good guys.

Score one for the lawyers anyways...

2011-08-10 11:24:58 AM
Good news. Scum like these are the Westboro Baptist Churches of the legal world, but harder to ignore.

2011-08-10 11:24:58 AM
Awesome! Way to fight, Drew. If more people stood up to the fargin iceholes, they would find more profitable pursuits.

2011-08-10 11:25:00 AM

AtticusFinchEsq: Congratulations, Drew.

I am going to use yours next time.

I wish that more judges and lawyers were willing to use plain talk like this. The whole thing was garbage.

2011-08-10 11:25:08 AM
I want to see Drew's first draft - cuz I like watching people lose their sh*t & swear a lot.

2011-08-10 11:25:20 AM
In the former soviet union the patent lawyers you.

2011-08-10 11:25:22 AM

steveGswine: What's sad is not only did they come after you, to no greater good than to fark with you... they didn't even come after you with their best.

(Or so I assume from their giving away the NDA.)

I hope it costs them; I'm insulted by proxy.

I'm insulted behind SEVEN proxies.

// you'll never know how insulted I am
// dad works in chemical patents - much harder to troll
// "Ah! Your carboxyl group looks the same as mine, and sticking out of that hydrocarbon like that is a HALLMARK of my work!! You swine!"

2011-08-10 11:25:24 AM
I feel like I personally contributed to this win.

2011-08-10 11:25:26 AM

LessO2: Congratulations Drew!

Free Total Fark for everyone to celebrate? Yes?

For you at least? Why not?

2011-08-10 11:25:39 AM
I would be more than happy to go to the office of the patent trolls and fart loudly and often, while giving them a feng shui adjustment of the office furniture.

2011-08-10 11:26:47 AM

Karma Curmudgeon: So, what you're actually saying Drew, with extended pinky to the corner of your mouth, is that actually, crime does pay.

*runs*

[image from c2.api.ning.com too old to be available]

2011-08-10 11:27:09 AM
Nicely written, Drew. You didn't come off as enraged, but righteously indignant, and that's cool.

It sucks that someone's attempt at a cash grab ended up costing you and friends so much in time, stress, and money (lawyer's fees, yeah?). There ain't no justice. :\

2011-08-10 11:27:12 AM

Parasites is a better term.

"Patent tapeworms" - I like it!!

2011-08-10 11:27:22 AM
Yay! (new window)

2011-08-10 11:27:28 AM
I'm more of the opinion that a horse's head might send a better message.

This.

/congrats Drew. WTG

2011-08-10 11:28:04 AM
Very good news.

In tribute, I'm ending all future headline submissions with "[article subject] suck(s) hairy donkey balls".

2011-08-10 11:28:11 AM
Excellent to hear Drew. I'm glad you kicked those idiots in the balls.

2011-08-10 11:28:31 AM

IXI Jim IXI: So do we all get a free month of Total fark in celebration?

I was thinking the price of TF would have to go up now with legal fees and all...

Conratulations Fark staff! and Drew

2011-08-10 11:29:00 AM

Earguy: Andrew Wiggin: great, no more boobie threads.

/can't post pics from my phone

Make it even more epic and combine boobie thread and redhead thread. There is no better way to celebrate this victory.

2011-08-10 11:29:09 AM

RexTalionis: As a patent attorney, patent trolls irk me.

I'd imagine. They make it much harder for people enforcing actual, real-world patents.

2011-08-10 11:29:25 AM
makes me happy.

2011-08-10 11:29:28 AM
"Could a judge have ruled otherwise? Sure. They've been known to rule that the sky is green - which is why this lawsuit was dangerous"

Well, if the patent specification says that the sky is green, then the sky is green as to the claims of that patent. Otherwise, ordinary meaning to one of skill in the art of "news release" controls, which as you said, Fark doesn't do. "News release" seems to have a pretty clear meaning, and I suspect those guys knew it/realized it once you showed you were going to fight and were not going to give them any money, hence accepting a "take nothing" settlement offer - these guys surely were on contingency and knew it was just going to waste their time continuing to come after you, and time is money to them.

Instead of a counterclaim, if you wanted to fark with these guys and maybe get their patent invalidated but not spend millions, and you know the "tons of prior art" that's out there, you could always do an ex parte reexamination request. That'd cost way less -- lawyer fees for preparing the reexam request, and the PTO fee for filing it. Once you file that request you see what happens. Or an inter partes reexam, which is more expensive but you get to keep participating after you've filed the request (in the ex parte once you file and the PTO finds a substantial new question of patentability, you have no say, it's all between the PTO and the patentee). It's possible you could even negotiate a flat fee with a firm for doing the reexam so you'd know what you were going to pay (rather than paying by the hour). The reexam doesn't even have to say it was Fark if you don't want -- the attorney you hire can file it in his name/the firm's name without revealing who hired them to do it.

And yes, that is shocking that they acquiesced on the NDA. Deleting that from a settelement agreement is the sort of thing you try as an attorney assuming it will never work.

2011-08-10 11:30:03 AM
t0.gstatic.comView Full Size

You can have my answer now, if you like. My final offer is this: nothing.

2011-08-10 11:30:19 AM
"All right that's it, let's get back to funny news. C'mon Florida, don't fail me now."

Kudos!!

2011-08-10 11:30:51 AM
Awesome! I had something similar happen 3 years ago. It wasn't a patent case though. Oh and I won a judgement for $5000. The no money changing hands part is the same....shiat....

2011-08-10 11:31:19 AM

IXI Jim IXI: So do we all get a free month of Total fark in celebration?

THIS!

/Awe, come on, I still don't have a job.
//That's right ladies, an unemployed 40-something posting on TF. You KNOW you want some of this.

2011-08-10 11:32:39 AM
You got over it. *cheers*

/so this means you're hiring?

2011-08-10 11:33:10 AM
does that mean you have enough dough to give me a year of TF?

2011-08-10 11:34:09 AM
Drew, you should add "how about jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself" to the rotating Fark slogan thingie.

2011-08-10 11:34:10 AM
Drew Perhaps it's time for a Tampa Florida Fark Party!

daywin
?

2011-08-10 11:34:24 AM

TheMaskedArmadillo: Anyone got a picture of the squirrel with big balls?

Good job Drew!

i.imgur.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 11:35:01 AM

Patent laws need to change. Software is language not invention.

2011-08-10 11:35:01 AM
Excellent news, Drew!!

I'm really happy to hear that they got zero from you (aside from the attorneys). Hope that this sets a precedent, and like you said, that others with deeper pockets can sue these bastards out of existence and make examples out of them.

I had no idea that this was such a bother to you, I can't imagine, ugh. Sorry you've had to deal with this, but at least there's a bit of catharsis now...

2011-08-10 11:35:20 AM

The Onanist: IXI Jim IXI: So do we all get a free month of Total fark in celebration?

THIS!

/Awe, come on, I still don't have a job.

Same here. Except I'm almost half your age.

2011-08-10 11:35:26 AM

Congratulations and thanks for fighting a good fight.

2011-08-10 11:35:44 AM

Devil's Playground: Was meow said the dog the judge in the case?

GAH!

*shudders*

2011-08-10 11:36:26 AM
I am curious to know if the patent trolls' Office, Operating System, and other softwares are completely legal. Microsoft, Apple, et al should investigate.

//Bet you see a big drop in patent trolls.

2011-08-10 11:37:05 AM
This is one of the many reasons why patents (along with copyright) need to be done away with permanently. Even when used "properly" they are a detriment to the development of the arts and sciences.

2011-08-10 11:37:11 AM
If anyone missed the patent troll episode on this american life (new window), I just heard it and it was pretty good.

oh and congrats Drew (and thanks for not giving in!)

//patent trolls are the worst species of scum

2011-08-10 11:37:36 AM

I wish I could tell you that Drew fought the good fight, and the patent trolls let him be. I wish I could tell you that - but Fark is no fairy-tale world. He never said who did it, but we all knew. Things went on like that for awhile - Fark life consists of routine, and then more routine. Every so often, Drew would show up with fresh lawsuits. The patent trolls kept at him - sometimes he was able to fight 'em off, sometimes not. And that's how it went for Drew - that was his routine. I do believe those first two years were the worst for him, and I also believe that if things had gone on that way, this place would have got the best of him.

2011-08-10 11:38:20 AM
Please to Weeners draft of this for giggles.

2011-08-10 11:38:40 AM
YOU GET NOTHING

YOU LOSE

GOOD DAY, TROLLS

2011-08-10 11:38:50 AM

Odd Bird: Crappy headline, should be replaced with "how about jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself".

Congratulations and thanks for fighting a good fight.

i also think that this should be done.

in honor of the victory

3.bp.blogspot.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 11:38:54 AM
Great news, Drew. Now, let's go get smashed and hassle some hookers.

2011-08-10 11:39:37 AM
(spelled out) draft becomes weeners? Who knew?

2011-08-10 11:39:43 AM
*pokes head back in*

In all seriousness Drew, very happy for you. I certainly enjoy what you've built here and the worry that someone was going to get some of that for nothing must have been infuriating. Good on you for sticking it out and squashing the little maggot.

To the troll:

bbsimg.ngfiles.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 11:39:57 AM
choosepp.netView Full Size

"I'll get you next time, Drew! Next time!"

2011-08-10 11:40:21 AM
Awesome.

Yeah, it would have been nice to get the counterclaim and win. The only way these assholes will ever be stopped is with good legal precedent.

2011-08-10 11:40:47 AM
Well done. This is the exact reason why non-disclosure obligations are included in settlement contracts. These guys really screwed up by letting that one go.

Considering that it is a negotiated deal, however, perhaps you should run a serial on how bad these people are. Name names and lawyers. Have fun.

2011-08-10 11:41:58 AM
Dammit!
*issues licensing fee to Das Kiwizoid *

2011-08-10 11:42:16 AM
Great news!

Wish we could have read the post from "Angry Drew".

2011-08-10 11:42:45 AM

2011-08-10 11:42:47 AM
"...we asked to strike the NDA provision. They agreed."

I write legal briefs for the state of MI for a living, and just asked around a bit. Nobody within my immediate reach has ever even heard of this happening. They just said, "OK"? Without even arguing about it? The only thing I can surmise is that their counsel is getting sick of representing douchebags and is getting purposefully sloppy in order that these assclowns can be fully outed to the world. Since you have no NDA, you can tell the world who they are, right? You can name names. I'd go ahead and do it. Carefully, of course.

Unleash the power of Fark on their sorry asses.

2011-08-10 11:42:59 AM

ohmyvariousgods: Please to Weeners draft of this for giggles.

lol, awesome

2011-08-10 11:43:03 AM
Go Drew! Next time you have a problem... don't waste the money on the big time law talking guys. There are hundreds of Farkers with GED's in law who will take the case.

If that doesn't pan out... let me recommend you to the firm that's been handling all my families legal work for years.
feeds2.yourstorewizards.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 11:43:03 AM

DigitalCoffee: Bartleby the Scrivener: I can hear how much anger this produced. But I think sending a small gift might help make amends in order to bring closure to this conflict. I suggest a hot cocoa sampler box.

I'm more of the opinion that a horse's head might send a better message.

Or maybe a pizza...
img100.imageshack.usView Full Size

WITH SAUSAGE!!!

2011-08-10 11:43:47 AM
The patent system needs an opposition concept like they have with Trademarks.

That is: new applications are posted for community review, and anyone with a beef (prior art, etc) can submit that information to the examiners to consider in making the grant/deny decision. In practical use, the big guys watch those postings like a hawk, as the dollar amounts at risk demand it. Though already-granted patents would remain a concern for some time, things would progressively get better for the small developer, as they benefit from the big guys beating the crap out of every new posting. The EFF could even get in on it, letting some attorneys put pro-bono time toward perusing particularly broad applications.

Not to say those arguments are *wrong*, necessarily, but they have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

2011-08-10 11:43:59 AM
Happy to see a good outcome, but realize that this is one of many you'll face. The patent system is broken and lawyers are parasites drawn to success like flies to crap. They make money regardless, so there's literally zero reason not to just keep filing lawsuits until someone caves in.

Been through it several times myself, and over the years have gone from "oh shiat we have to settle" to "fark them, drag it out, countersue, and if necessary, close up shop before paying a dime." It hasn't got any less expensive, but it is certainly easier knowing what I'm going to do from the moment the papers show up.

2011-08-10 11:44:01 AM
Congratulations on the victory! Great to see that patent trolls can be foiled now and again.

2011-08-10 11:44:18 AM

Karma Curmudgeon: Dammit!
*issues licensing fee to Das Kiwizoid *

Hah! Great minds :)

2011-08-10 11:44:18 AM
"How about jack shiat and go fark yourself"
- Drew Curtis

i942.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 11:44:22 AM
No NDA? Can you reveal the name of the patent troll, so he/she/it can further behold the power of Fark?

2011-08-10 11:44:23 AM
i1080.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 11:44:36 AM
HELL YES DREW! WAY TO STICK IT TO 'EM!

I am so glad to be a farker today!

2011-08-10 11:46:45 AM

microlith: cretinbob: That's good news.
Hopefully he doesn't fall for their bullshiat.

//let's kill all the lawyers

No, that's a trademark suit which Bethesda is obligated to carry out.

No they're not. The word "scrolls" was used long before Bethesda decided to include it in their games. They're being dicks.

/In game names, even

2011-08-10 11:48:00 AM
i.imgur.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 11:49:02 AM

Bolo Jungle: I submitted this with a better headline

I submitted this with my patented better headline maker upper. You sir, are in violation of my patent. I demand $ 1 zillon.

2011-08-10 11:49:06 AM

mikaloyd: [i.imgur.com image 600x480]

Yes because none of us are browsing at work. Ever.

2011-08-10 11:49:08 AM

tv_news_guy: There are hundreds of Farkers with GED's in law who will take the case.

2011-08-10 11:49:26 AM
settle with bullets like a man.

2011-08-10 11:50:30 AM

Ponzholio: LessO2: Congratulations Drew!

Free Total Fark for everyone to celebrate? Yes?

For you at least? Why not?

You totally rock!

Thank you.

2011-08-10 11:50:31 AM
This is the kind of thing that could drive Drew to drink.

2011-08-10 11:50:35 AM

DigitalCoffee: I'm more of the opinion that a horse's head might send a better message.

static.neatoshop.comView Full Size

It's out of stock in the Fark Shop (new window), so maybe Drew already sent over a few.

2011-08-10 11:50:49 AM

mikaloyd: [i.imgur.com image 600x480]

I just shared the link on FB. Thanks, buddy,

2011-08-10 11:50:51 AM

Carousel Beast: microlith: cretinbob: That's good news.
Hopefully he doesn't fall for their bullshiat.

//let's kill all the lawyers

No, that's a trademark suit which Bethesda is obligated to carry out.

/In game names, even

But apparently no one before them thought to officially claim that term.

See also Sew Fast / Sew Easy vs The Whole Knitting World re "Stitch'n'biatch"

2011-08-10 11:51:13 AM
I understand the reason for not filing a counter-complaint, but without it, the patent troll still wins. His lawyers work on contingency, so he's lost nothing. You're out your attorney's fees (and a lot of time and angst). The trolls know that almost no one will come after them. That's why the business is so lucrative. But perhaps your lawyers understand that the amount of money that could be recovered is not worth the time and effort. If it were, they'd take the case on contingency.

2011-08-10 11:51:16 AM
Congrats, Drew!

Garçon! Steak and BJ's for everyone!

2011-08-10 11:52:53 AM
Saying that patent trolls suck hairy donkey balls disparages hairy donkey ball suckers everywhere.

2011-08-10 11:53:34 AM

techmom: Inflatable Rhetoric: These are not patent trolls, in the sense that they troll for comments. They file lawsuits in the hope that people will just pay them off, because it's often less expensive than legal costs, even if you're in the right.

Parasites is a better term.

"Patent tapeworms" - I like it!!

Tapeworms is even better than leeches.

2011-08-10 11:53:35 AM
Just make sure you use your site in the future to advertise what kind of shiat patent trolls are putting and maybe by keeping the public eye on it, change might finally happen.

/or the sky could turn green. One or the other.

2011-08-10 11:54:13 AM
Tijuana whores are patent trolls?

2011-08-10 11:54:14 AM
Cheers, Drew.

ll.broadbandsports.comView Full Size

/fark the fark haters

2011-08-10 11:55:55 AM

ohmyvariousgods: (spelled out) draft becomes weeners? Who knew?

No. It's the word that rhymes with "toast" followed by the word that rhymes with "thirst" that gets filtered to "weeners".

2011-08-10 11:56:01 AM
I'm in Florida. The sky is blue, and I'm programming a Java UI for my nine-to-five. Sorry to let you down, Drew.

/rides an alligator to Wally World

2011-08-10 11:56:44 AM
Congrats Drew!

/let loose the name of the plaintiff, i'm sure fark has some /b/ elements that would be happy to ruin their lives.

2011-08-10 11:57:03 AM
mikaloyd

Is it wrong to be aroused by that picture ??

2011-08-10 11:57:32 AM
i1142.photobucket.com

2011-08-10 11:57:54 AM
Well played, seacop

2011-08-10 11:58:22 AM
Das Kiwizoid:
YOU GET NOTHING

YOU LOSE LOOSE

GOOD DAY, TROLLS

Sorry.
/Pet peeve

2011-08-10 11:58:58 AM

Spanky McStupid: Congrats, Drew!

Garçon! Steak and BJ's for everyone!

Sais-tu comment je sais tu es fabuleuse?

2011-08-10 11:58:59 AM

Flab: ohmyvariousgods: (spelled out) draft becomes weeners? Who knew?

FTFY,

2011-08-10 11:59:17 AM
Congrats DREW!

You deserve a raise.

2011-08-10 11:59:34 AM
The USPTO would do us all a big favor if they just went away.

2011-08-10 12:00:06 PM
So lawsuits like this is the reason the big tech companies are spending billions on patent portfolios. Definately a win but an expensive one.

2011-08-10 12:00:43 PM

LordBollocks: mikaloyd

Is it wrong to be aroused by that picture ??

Maybe a little

2011-08-10 12:00:46 PM
Good news, Drew. Congrats.

If you don't want to pursue the counter suit, maybe a shout-out to Anonymous is in order...

2011-08-10 12:00:50 PM
For an actual discussion of how patent trolls operate and why evil people congregate in Texas (This American Life):
Link (new window)

2011-08-10 12:01:38 PM

brightestfell: Flab: ohmyvariousgods: (spelled out) draft becomes weeners? Who knew?

No. It's the word that rhymes with "thirst" followed by the word that rhymes with "toast" that gets filtered to "weeners".

FTFY,

this time without the whiskey bottle in my hand..

2011-08-10 12:01:58 PM
img59.imageshack.usView Full Size

2011-08-10 12:02:49 PM
so now is fark going to be better again?

2011-08-10 12:03:54 PM
profile.ak.fbcdn.netView Full Size

2011-08-10 12:03:56 PM

Marcus Aurelius: The USPTO would do us all a big favor if they just went away.

They're only a part of the problem.

We contracted a guy to write some software. He took the specs and manuals, etc, never did anything. Then he sued us for non-payment of $1500.

We went to small claims court, he lost. I suspect a lot of people paid him just so he'd go away, tho.

Had he sued for an amount too large for small claims court, we would have had a decision to make.

2011-08-10 12:04:50 PM

2011-08-10 12:06:16 PM
Congratulations, Drew. Fark patent trolls, and the lawyers they rode in on!

2011-08-10 12:07:47 PM

brightestfell: FTFY,
this time without the whiskey bottle in my hand..

You got that wrong. That particular combination filters to "Boobies".

Toast, thirst, draft, Boobies... These words all go very well with thisisyourbrainonFark's picture.

2011-08-10 12:08:09 PM

EliminateNinniesAndTwits: How do we know any of this really happened, this could just be a trick to garner sympathy for this 'Drew' person.

He's not new he was just banned from posting outside of the TFD page because of the strippers that he keeps with him at all times, they are NSFW and can't be shown on the main page. this post was screened by four different mods and a catholic priest before it was posted.

2011-08-10 12:09:08 PM

Flab: brightestfell: FTFY,
this time without the whiskey bottle in my hand..

You got that wrong. That particular combination filters to "Boobies".

that goes double after the first drink or two of the day

2011-08-10 12:09:24 PM
I consider patent trolls to be some of the worst dandruff on the shirt of humanity, as they not only produce nothing themselves but actively discourage innovation in others at a time when the race needs as much innovation as they can get.

So good on ya, Drew. Congratulations!

2011-08-10 12:10:36 PM

Lee Jackson Beauregard: [img59.imageshack.us image 250x350]

I laughed

2011-08-10 12:11:49 PM

Ponzholio: Tijuana whores are patent trolls?

tijuana bring your mother to the gang bang?

2011-08-10 12:12:22 PM

Bluemookie: [i1080.photobucket.com image 640x480]

Is that the white spiderman?

2011-08-10 12:13:19 PM
This is bringing back nightmares from 1993:
<a target="_blank" href="http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.09/09.08/Patents/ind​ex.html">V ideoBeep Patent Article</a> (new window)

2011-08-10 12:14:57 PM
i59.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 12:15:31 PM
"What's your offer?"
"How about you mow my lawn, restock my wet bar, clean my pool, and teach Bevets all about science! Oh, and punch your mother in the cock."

2011-08-10 12:16:58 PM
i59.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 12:18:20 PM

Well, we've been waiting on you, what happened this year? No Tampa Fark party?

2011-08-10 12:21:40 PM
America in a nutshell: Litigate for profit.

I don't see what the big deal is. People usually don't give a fark unless/until it happens to them. Does anyone really know or take care of their neighbors anymore?

2011-08-10 12:22:33 PM

leftyblonde: [i59.photobucket.com image 200x200]

I love you so much. In a tcp-ip kinda way. :D

2011-08-10 12:24:02 PM
Congrats, Drew...

Maybe you should think about taking up a collection to get you back some legal fees and a Fark employee. I'll donate a few.

(and thanks again for introducing me to the husband)...

/DC Fark Party

2011-08-10 12:24:21 PM
i59.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 12:25:15 PM
HUZZAH!

Good going, Drew. Glad you won.

2011-08-10 12:26:13 PM

Achi11es: I love you so much.

i59.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 12:27:08 PM

ultraholland: Das Kiwizoid: YOU GET NOTHING

YOU LOSE LOOSE

GOOD DAY, TROLLS

Sorry.
/Pet peeve

Lose: verb. Past tense of loss
Loose: adjective. not firmly or tightly fixed in place

Congratulations, you can drop this pet peeve.

2011-08-10 12:28:53 PM
Hurrah! Congrats, Drew. I think all of these Anonymous and LulzSec groups should focusing on badgering the patent trolls. Totally valuable use of their time, and really awesome for the rest of us.

2011-08-10 12:36:50 PM

ringersol: The patent system needs an opposition concept like they have with Trademarks.

That is: new applications are posted for community review, and anyone with a beef (prior art, etc) can submit that information to the examiners to consider in making the grant/deny decision... And the problem would largely be solved, with a minimum of contentious debate over things like ending all software/method patents, abandoning the patent system, etc.

It already exists. Anyone can submit prior art to an Examiner to consider during prosecution, and new applications are published after 18 months. Apparently hasn't "largely solved" the problem.

2011-08-10 12:38:45 PM
Successful countersuit would have been better news, Drew, but I'm glad to hear you told them to get stuffed. Now post their office address so that further justice can be done.

BitwiseShift: If there were only someway to patent TrollingExtortionBehavior© and sue the trollsters back.

Niiiiiiice.

/runs to patent office

2011-08-10 12:43:37 PM
PIES FOR EVERYONE!*

*Note: you are required to provide your own pie

2011-08-10 12:43:42 PM

ringersol: That is: new applications are posted for community review, and anyone with a beef (prior art, etc) can submit that information to the examiners to consider in making the grant/deny decision. In practical use, the big guys watch those postings like a hawk, as the dollar amounts at risk demand it.

Actually, there already is a procedure to submit prior art to the examiner within two months after an application is published (and a majority of applications are published since you have to submit to publication if you want to file in foreign jurisictions). It's extremely rare that someone actually uses this procedure, though we've on occasion had clients who have 1) noticed the publication in time and 2) had relevant prior art that hadn't already been submitted to the examiner.

The problem is this is much harder to monitor than trademarks. For trademarks, you monitor anything close to your marks, and there are services that will do this for you. That's not that hard, because it's just a word or a few words. Not so simple with patent applications.

2011-08-10 12:43:47 PM
Awesome Drew. Well done. Troll stew for dinner?

2011-08-10 12:44:37 PM
i911.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 12:48:34 PM
Congratulations Drew, great work.

2011-08-10 12:48:53 PM
I won't lie though, I was angry and I am still.

You'll get over it.

/don't hurt me

2011-08-10 12:48:57 PM
t3.gstatic.comView Full Size

Congrats, Drew

2011-08-10 12:50:06 PM
Can someone paraphrase the tl;dr version for me?

/didn't read thread either...

2011-08-10 12:52:20 PM
CONGRATULATIONS DREW!!!!

2011-08-10 12:53:12 PM
ROCK ON, DREW AND CREW!!!

I'm dying to know who the patent troll(s) are / were! OUT THEM!!!!

2011-08-10 12:54:49 PM

Unright: Weird. I just listened to the This American Life podcast on how patent trolls work (link) and got really pissed about it.

Patent laws need to change. Software is language not invention.

Seconded. Anyone who's interested in this topic should check out that broadcast. Excellent piece. One interesting detail: they guy who coined the term "patent troll" is now an executive in a giant patent troll company.

Even with the win, it really sucks to the n'th degree that in Fark's case fighting this still cost the site an employee-worth of legal costs, and counter-suing this jaggoff into oblivion (or even just to recover legal costs) would be counterproductive. Bittersweet victory.

2011-08-10 12:56:36 PM
Damn you, Drew, for giving me a reason to cheer on AOL!

2011-08-10 12:57:57 PM
I've been wondering what was going on with this.

leftyblonde

Hrm, you being here, does this mean this thread has now become a posting of the last contest?

last post.

/pretty sure it gets filtered.

2011-08-10 1:02:35 PM
JackieRabbit: Lose: verb. Past tense of loss
Loose: adjective. not firmly or tightly fixed in place

Congratulations, you can drop this pet peeve

tisk tisk. you've been around long enough to be able to identify a rotsky

2011-08-10 1:02:37 PM

Eh, has some problems and could have been researched better. They do the usual NPR thing of "we asked person A to describe this topic. Here's what they said. We won't bother verifying it or anything, and if it's wrong, blame person A."
And it's not just little bits, but major parts of the story - there's a segment where they talk about how outrageous it is that there are three patents on the same thing... but they aren't. They're three applications with the same title, by the same inventor, with the same filing date - two are continuations of the first one, and they all have different claims. If they asked any patent practitioner, they would have found that out, but they didn't.

TAL does a good job telling peoples' stories, but not such a good job on anything that requires real journalism.

2011-08-10 1:03:24 PM
Way to go Drew! Patent/copyright trolls need to be tied to stakes and lit on fire, then, while still on fire, punched in the face repeatedly by strong men wearing fireproof suits.

2011-08-10 1:04:55 PM

2011-08-10 1:06:03 PM

Leeds: Drew,

Please post the patent troll's name and contact information.

-The Internets

Yeah, I'm surprised FARK would be a target for this reason. Either the troll was unaware that this site is chock-full of tech-savvy miscreants or was somehow unafraid of the potential for hot internet vigilante justice. Perhaps he figured he was safe because he was suing from behind 7 proxies? ;) 4-Chan or SA would probably be the only contenders for "worse tiger to grab by the tail".

2011-08-10 1:08:36 PM
bowiestie.files.wordpress.comView Full Size

STFU and GTFO

2011-08-10 1:09:34 PM
I heard someone got a 24k Gold Laptop, a hot tub, a bevy of hookers and some blow.

He knows who I'm talking about, no it isn't Drew. I'm jealous.

2011-08-10 1:09:42 PM

ultraholland: Das Kiwizoid: YOU GET NOTHING

YOU LOSE LOOSE

GOOD DAY, TROLLS

Sorry.
/Pet peeve

Attempted rotsky is attempted.

2011-08-10 1:09:55 PM
Fantastic news Drew! Congrats, and keep up the great work.

2011-08-10 1:12:08 PM
I have a patent that describes how you get things to do stuff. Soon, I will be bigger than Exxon!

Seriously, though: congrats on the win, sorry about the cost, and may all patent trolls one day know the might of the societal biatch slap.

2011-08-10 1:15:32 PM

An uncensored version.

MAKE IT SO, FARK STORE

2011-08-10 1:17:05 PM
darog.smbks.netView Full Size

2011-08-10 1:17:09 PM
I think "jack shiat and go fark yourself" would have been a perfectly cromulent response in this case.

2011-08-10 1:20:23 PM

Mr_Ectomy: mercator_psi: I would wear a shirt that said "how about jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself".

An uncensored version.

MAKE IT SO, FARK STORE

but srsly, and put an ad for Roetzel & Andress on the back.

2011-08-10 1:21:01 PM

2011-08-10 1:22:11 PM
It is great to see the occasional win for the good guys in the legal system. We get so bogged down in hilariously bad rulings, court cases where the robber wins money because he got hurt in the home of the victim, police/judicial thuggery by way of citation, and all the rest that sometimes its hard to see how our system can possibly be successful. That said, every once in a while, we get reminded that there are parts of the legal system that work diligently and tirelessly for us. So... thank you... to all the good lawyers out there who help defend people against this kind of bs, who represent kids, who represent domestic violence victims seeking restraining orders, and all the rest of you who are actually trying your best to make the world a slightly more liveable place.

2011-08-10 1:25:49 PM

I'd buy it for you, but my bank account has a sad :(

2011-08-10 1:28:16 PM

Mr_Ectomy: Sterling Thunder: Hooray! A free month Total Fark for everyone... No, how about just me then?... What was that... No I don't want jack sh*t and I am nowhere near flexible enough to f*ck myself.

I'd buy it for you, but my bank account has a sad :(

I see we bank at the same establishment - BOBA - Bank of Broke A$$

2011-08-10 1:31:35 PM
Does this mean Drew is back and Freak goes behind the curtain again?

Substitute teachers are never as cool as the real professor!

2011-08-10 1:32:20 PM
Congrats, Drew and crew! A free day for freedom-loving free-people everyfree!

2011-08-10 1:34:01 PM
Congrats!!!

Good news.

2011-08-10 1:36:13 PM

I'll admit I was already biased going into it. Guess I was primed to be uncritical of the story after hearing so much about it from an old college buddy that works in the software division of the US patent office. Get a couple beers in him and he will rage about patents that never should have been awarded and the whole trolling issue.

2011-08-10 1:42:00 PM

JackieRabbit: ultraholland: Das Kiwizoid: YOU GET NOTHING

YOU LOSE LOOSE

GOOD DAY, TROLLS

Sorry.
/Pet peeve

Lose: verb. Past tense of loss
Loose: adjective. not firmly or tightly fixed in place

Congratulations, you can drop this pet peeve.

*checks profile*

Well... you're not new here... what's your excuse?

2011-08-10 1:44:26 PM

tsalaroth: Well... you're not new here... what's your excuse?

Friggin aspies!

2011-08-10 1:45:56 PM
This far in and no ha-ha guy...

2011-08-10 1:46:10 PM

Monkeylint: Theaetetus: Monkeylint: Seconded. Anyone who's interested in this topic should check out that broadcast. Excellent piece.

Disclaimer: I'm a patent attorney and I worked for NPR for almost a decade. There are a lot of really good people there, and a whole lot of really lazy people who think cutting and pasting quotes from people on opposite sides of the story = journalism. Originally, it was kowtowing to criticism by Fox News' "Fair and Balanced" and "Journalists shouldn't be part of the story, they should just be masters of ceremony" rhetoric, but over the years, the young reporters got trained to believe that's how it was supposed to be done.

2011-08-10 1:48:32 PM
i796.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 1:49:05 PM
img827.imageshack.usView Full Size

2011-08-10 1:50:57 PM
T-Boy And some of us get paid well to do what FARK's lawyers do. We would also gladly take your money if you need the help. It's a bonus to have at least some bit of respect for your client, although that is never required.

Dude, down. I meant no disrespect. Did somebody piss in your Wheaties this morning? Chill.

2011-08-10 1:52:50 PM
great news! For a minute there i was worried about our circlejerks

2011-08-10 1:53:15 PM
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a 4chan style attack on the guy that owns Gooseberry... I mean seriously, what a d*ck.

2011-08-10 1:54:05 PM
Hmmm... with a "Fark is Counter-Suing Patent Troll" button, I would have given a twenty to the cause.

433 [TotalFark]
2011-08-10 1:56:08 PM
I'm glad that worked out as well as it did.
I'm reminded of the Fox News station affiliate guy that made a few awful subs, asked about the site design, then tried some feeble hacking,

2011-08-10 1:56:26 PM
You got over it.

2011-08-10 2:01:08 PM
Congrats to Drew and the rest of the FARK crew. Spurious bullshiat needs to be called what it is: spurious goddammitsomuch bullshiat.

I'm glad to hear that standing up for what's right instead of settling because it's convenience is still alive and well.

Again, big grats.

2011-08-10 2:02:59 PM
i54.tinypic.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 2:13:09 PM
"How about jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself".

Censored or uncensored, put this on a T-shirt underneath a photo of our beloved mascot. I'd wear it proudly.

Gratz, Drew

2011-08-10 2:14:29 PM
Great moments in negotiation history:

2) Michael Corleone to Senator Geary: "My final offer is this: nothing. Not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally."

1) Drew Curtis to Patent Troll: "how about jack sh*t and go f*ck yourself."

2011-08-10 2:15:39 PM
Good on ya Drew. I would say I'd buy you a beer, but you owed me a beer already, so go get yourself a beer. (Not like I needed to say that)

2011-08-10 2:16:13 PM

Ah, I see you beat me to it. Shoulda checked first.

2011-08-10 2:17:30 PM

the_sidewinder: That's not a patent troll, that's a trademark troll

kill it anyway

2011-08-10 2:22:22 PM
Salute.

2011-08-10 2:22:46 PM

Peaceboy: RussianPooper: My final offer is this: nothing. Not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.

Ah, I see you beat me to it. Shoulda checked first.

2011-08-10 2:23:03 PM
Words.

+1 Drew, +1.

;)

2011-08-10 2:23:56 PM
w0000t! Thanks for fighting the good fight. Wishing you a boobie-filled future.

2011-08-10 2:23:56 PM
Theaetetus: "already exists. Anyone can submit prior art to an Examiner to consider during prosecution, and new applications are published after 18 months. Apparently hasn't "largely solved" the problem."

That's a far cry from an actual opposition system. (e.g. Australia, EPO)

GQueue: "The problem is this is much harder to monitor than trademarks."

Harder, but not insurmountable. Class/subclass allows things to be narrowed down. And examiner group narrows it down further.
And given that we're pretty much only talking about software/process, there simply aren't that many relevant publications hitting every Thursday.

Again, a couple months to submit prior art to the examiner who (unfortunately) probably isn't spending as much time as they'd like on the prior art already submitted, is a far cry from a proper opposition system.

2011-08-10 2:26:40 PM

RussianPooper: Next step, Patent Troll wakes up covered in blood with a dead prostitute in a massage parlor.

Fortunately for Patent Troll, that girl has no family, nobody knows she works there. It'll be as if she never existed.

2011-08-10 2:32:24 PM
Well done, Drew & Associates(c)!

2011-08-10 2:38:24 PM

GQueue: Instead of a counterclaim, if you wanted to fark with these guys and maybe get their patent invalidated but not spend millions, and you know the "tons of prior art" that's out there, you could always do an ex parte reexamination request. That'd cost way less -- lawyer fees for preparing the reexam request, and the PTO fee for filing it.

Or I could just write up the reexam OA and submit it to central reexam unit. Save Drew all that money.

The reason I didn't do it initially is because I don't understand all the ins and outs of litigation. For example, a defense might not want a reexam done, because a reexam may strengthen the validity of a patent. After my initial reexam OA, I would have nothing to do with the case. Though the reexam guys are generally more knowledgeable than the average examiner, so I wouldn't worry too much.

2011-08-10 2:38:29 PM
i2.photobucket.comView Full Size

You there, computer man, good jorb!

Patent trolls!
i2.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 2:52:22 PM

Inflatable Rhetoric: Marcus Aurelius: The USPTO would do us all a big favor if they just went away.

They're only a part of the problem.

I work for a company where the policy is "never settle, fight everything."

It keeps the trolls away.

2011-08-10 2:55:16 PM

Naturally, the answer is "I don't know, I rarely know the terms". And neither do you.

2011-08-10 3:01:23 PM

tsalaroth: Well... you're not new here... what's your excuse?

I'm just slow. ;) Christ, do you know how often I have to go to the urban dictionary to get a definition of something I see here? Fark has a lot of subtleties.

2011-08-10 3:21:17 PM
i.imgur.comView Full Size

Anyone else want to negotiate?

2011-08-10 3:22:02 PM
Awesome news of the day. Let's move on now.

2011-08-10 3:39:22 PM
Unfortunately, I hold the patent for creating Internet User Names and I'm suing all of you.

2011-08-10 3:49:46 PM
I'd just like to say:

Patent trolls can gargle sweaty squirrel nutsacks.

That is all.

2011-08-10 3:50:26 PM
Congrats Drew.

I'm filing for a patent on patent trolling right now, gonna sue these bastards.

2011-08-10 3:52:52 PM

Theaetetus: There are certainly areas that are ripe for reform, and a bunch of things that could be improved, and I could give you a laundry list of suggestions

And this list begins with "stop fee diversion." It's farking ridiculous that patent applicants pay all these fees and the PTO doesn't get to keep all of them for their budget. So much could be helped by the PTO being able to have sufficient examiners and give them enough time to examine applications.

2011-08-10 3:55:20 PM
congratulations Drew, you hillybilly motha!!!

2011-08-10 4:03:37 PM
4.bp.blogspot.comView Full Size

You'll get nothing and like it!

2011-08-10 4:05:08 PM
Congrats Drew, really glad to hear this news.

2011-08-10 4:10:34 PM

tsalaroth: JackieRabbit: ultraholland: Das Kiwizoid: YOU GET NOTHING

YOU LOSE LOOSE

GOOD DAY, TROLLS

Sorry.
/Pet peeve

Lose: verb. Past tense of loss
Loose: adjective. not firmly or tightly fixed in place

Congratulations, you can drop this pet peeve.

*checks profile*

Well... you're not new here... what's your excuse?

is the average poster on fark privy to the rotsky or really that stupid? it's an admittedly a tough call.

2011-08-10 4:18:59 PM

cretinbob: That's good news.
Hopefully he doesn't fall for their bullshiat.

//let's kill all the lawyers

That's more like trademark trolling, since "Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls," as a title for a work, would be covered under trademark law.

But even so, one would hope that the judge would say to any potential plaintiff, and I pre-quote in hopes that a judge says more or less exactly this: "The only people who would confuse two computer games just because both have the word "scrolls" in the title are idiots like you."

2011-08-10 4:19:50 PM

Hella Fark: is Is the average poster on fark FARK privy privvy to the an rotsky or really that stupid?

FTFY
Free range peeve

2011-08-10 4:27:34 PM
Sorry I'm late to the thread. I just heard the news. Congrats(exclamation point)

2011-08-10 4:32:07 PM
Drew,

Good on you.

Jon

2011-08-10 4:45:43 PM
This is wonderful news. Here's hoping that many more patent trolls get absolutely nothing.

2011-08-10 5:16:08 PM

danny_kay: Carousel Beast: microlith: cretinbob: That's good news.
Hopefully he doesn't fall for their bullshiat.

//let's kill all the lawyers

No, that's a trademark suit which Bethesda is obligated to carry out.

/In game names, even

But apparently no one before them thought to officially claim that term.

See also Sew Fast / Sew Easy vs The Whole Knitting World re "Stitch'n'biatch"

saddly, most people don't know how explosive the fiber community is when it comes to copyright, trademarks, and C&D letters.

/thinking of the girl from auntie and the she who must not be named saga

2011-08-10 5:28:09 PM
That's great news, Drew!

So does this mean you're going to spend less time checking into the Fark Satellite Office at Chase Tap Room on Facebook, and more time doing actual work?

2011-08-10 5:31:34 PM
Awesome!

Drew scores a victory against those Gooseberry pukes, this thread turns into a celebration of sorts, and that one whiner continues to make himself look whiny.

I love it, I love it, I love it.

Heartiest congrats to Drew and company - cheers!

2011-08-10 5:33:10 PM

markie_farkie: That's great news, Drew!

I don't know what this means, but I like it.

;)

P.S. Thanks, Drew. Protect me too.

2011-08-10 6:40:55 PM
Good, fark those guys.

2011-08-10 6:59:03 PM

Or, perhaps, some soiled condoms.

2011-08-10 7:03:09 PM
Hey you guys from Gooseberry Natural Resources:
i483.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 7:03:57 PM
YAY for Drew & the Team Fark!

2011-08-10 7:06:59 PM
well done Drew & Legal Team Fark .
i483.photobucket.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 7:16:20 PM
I submitted this with a better headline.

2011-08-10 7:16:25 PM
Well done Drew. Also: they're douchenozzles, not douchebags.

2011-08-10 7:22:46 PM
I really, really wish there were more risks for patent trolls. There's practically zero.

Also, why can't patents be regulated like the FDA does food and ICANN (or whoever) does domains?

Have a complaint- file it with the patent office. They take a few days with minimal government money to determine if the patent is very, very, very obviously being infringed upon. And "infringed" shouldn't be vague... it should be a nearly direct copy. Like if I copied all of the functionality of MS Word and tried to sell it.

2011-08-10 7:24:15 PM
As someone who fights against patent trolls damned near every day, I say bravo to you and your law firm, sir. I've seen zero dollar settlements before, but usually not this early in the litigation and not without an NDA to let the troll quietly run away with its tail between its legs.

Please don't trademark your settlement offer. I plan to steal use that line someday.

2011-08-10 7:26:50 PM
Why didn't reddit/fark/aol/yahoo and others who were sued form some type of committee or coalition (build a warchest) to defend against it?

I'm really surprised more large "social" websites don't get together and fight against these types of patent trolls. They just pick you off one by one.

Also you all need to get together and run a high quality ad service so no more bad ads and malware.

2011-08-10 7:29:37 PM
Drew has balls of adamantium. Massive amount of respect.

2011-08-10 7:32:14 PM
Oh, what a relief! This is most excellent news. What a bunch of scum-sucking lowlifes. May they all be stricken with a fungal infection of the peehole. For starters.

2011-08-10 7:34:12 PM

Theaetetus: Hey, I would, too... There are certainly areas that are ripe for reform, and a bunch of things that could be improved, and I could give you a laundry list of suggestions. But, that doesn't mean the whole system should be thrown out, like some people suggest (although, usually, they don't argue to scrap the entire patent system... just certain areas that they work in, like software, which should indicate that they may have ulterior motives).

In this case (and MANY others), the little guy is being sued by the big guy. Reason being if they can put the beatdown on the little guy (or a few little guys)... they have ammo to go after the other big guys.

Also there's this total BS that isn't generally present in trademark law where you can be forced to pay up on past profits even if they don't prove you knowingly infringed.

I say put a cap on the percentage of future profit (not revenue) from an infringing piece of software or site. Make it manditory to offer said license.

Now- if you do prove someone knowingly infringed on a patent and outwardly said they didn't care... yeah, go after all the money you want.

2011-08-10 7:42:08 PM

Theaetetus: But, that doesn't mean the whole system should be thrown out, like some people suggest (although, usually, they don't argue to scrap the entire patent system... just certain areas that they work in, like software, which should indicate that they may have ulterior motives).

I say scrap it entirely. Let people build whatever they want while not infringing on trademarks and copyrights. Let the market decide who's the best.

I should be able to offer a better word processor without fear that Microsoft is going to kill me with patent issues. Let me compete with them. (Not a great example, as no one is going to beat MS Word- but you get the point.)

Patents are anti-competitive.

2011-08-10 7:42:30 PM
imagemacros.files.wordpress.comView Full Size

2011-08-10 8:51:49 PM
I continue to applaud Drew for having balls and enforcing his anti-dumbass agenda.

2011-08-10 8:58:38 PM
GO DREW!

About time someone stood up to one of these scummy gangs of rent-seekers.

2011-08-10 9:42:56 PM
i didnt realize fringe was in again .... it was so late 80's

/good news all around

2011-08-10 9:54:59 PM
grats Drew

2011-08-10 9:58:16 PM
Congrats Drew & legal team! Thanks for saving Fark!! :)

2011-08-10 10:02:49 PM
YOU: lawsuit may habe for me, BUT I: HABE JACK SHIAT FOR YOU HA

Consider my re-up of TF for another year a gift of congratulations and gratitude.

2011-08-10 10:10:48 PM
Oh and......

MY FIVE A MONTH FINALLY DID SOMETHING OF SIGNIFICANCE!

2011-08-10 10:37:55 PM

cretinbob: That's good news.
Hopefully he doesn't fall for their bullshiat.

//let's kill all the lawyers

It was a trademark issue.. And unlike the guy that claimed 'Edge' and tried to troll Mirror's Edge, etc, Bethesda is actually using 'Scrolls'. (Kind of). Not that Bethesda is right, or that they'd even stand a chance of winning, but they're not trolls.

2011-08-10 10:48:14 PM

[load Constitution] [control-f] "Little Guy"

Sorry, what? I think you've been fed a load of naive bullshiat that has nothing to do with our country, Constitution, or economic system.

2011-08-10 10:49:03 PM

2011-08-10 10:52:44 PM
Saw you mentioned on the front of TPM.com. Congrats Drew & Fark Legal! Great work!

2011-08-10 11:12:38 PM
Yeah, Drew! You were already my hero, but my respect for you continues to grow. Thanks for the giving us this sandbox to kick around in.

2011-08-10 11:18:42 PM
cool, the self appointed funny pope showed up. ho hum

2011-08-10 11:22:45 PM

Theaetetus: downstairs: Sorry, I have to disagree with you. It does the opposite of what its intended to do- protect the little guy.

[load Constitution] [control-f] "Little Guy"

Ummmm no, I've dealt with it personally. And I understand the constitution and economic system just fine. Most frivolous patent lawsuits and threats involve the big guy going after the little guy. The whole purpose of patents- the base concept of which you may have forgotten in your career as a patent attorney- is to protect an inventor with minimal or no capital against a company with nearly unlimited capital. Not sure what you do for a living but whatever it is you no longer realize that's been reversed

2011-08-10 11:26:49 PM

Explain. Im seriously curious. As the "small guy" all patents do is add massive risk to what I create. I can't possibly afford to know what patents im infringing on. The whole purpose of patents could be better achieved through trademark, copyright, and trade secrets.

2011-08-10 11:30:28 PM

Yeah, that's why we talk about "patent trolls" as giant megacorporations who go after poor humble individuals like Intellectual Ventures or TechSearch. If only those companies could be protected from the "big guy," namely Google, Microsoft, or Apple.

You, sir, clearly have your finger on the pulse of the industry. Or in the ass. One of those. The point is that whatever it is, your finger is in there.

2011-08-10 11:33:30 PM
A better response would simply be to fire all the morons that allow patents of existing thongs and methods. Like really USA a patent on swing side to side instead of forward and back? Fark you to hell you stupid bastards that allow that shiat

2011-08-10 11:37:19 PM
farm7.static.flickr.comView Full Size

Where's these guys when you need them? We need a new-gen, version 2.0 of them after these patent troll assholes. Awesome outcome, Drew. Hopefully, one day, the real patent cases will see the light of day and not these troll bastards.

/great reply to them, btw

2011-08-10 11:39:33 PM

Theaetetus: downstairs: Most frivolous patent lawsuits and threats involve the big guy going after the little guy.

2011-08-11 12:37:41 AM
Ethics complaint to the troll's jurisdiction's ethics enforcing body. 'Nuff said.

2011-08-11 1:16:35 AM
There is a reason why one should NEVER agree to any sort of NDA in any lawsuit. Even if you were forced to, ignore it like it never existed. Personally, I would like to see it made illegal to make any NDA part of any settlement. It it is filed with the court, then there can not be an NDA permitted.

2011-08-11 2:35:16 AM

wegro: I submitted this with a better headline.

why you no has TF, WHY?

2011-08-11 3:26:42 AM
I'm going to patent congratulating Drew on his victory.

2011-08-11 3:52:14 AM
Man, spend a couple of days off Fark due to a high workload and I miss this? Fuuuu...

Congrats, Drew, and great job. I wish you had won the right to shove a red-hot fireplace poker up the opposing party's ass, though...

2011-08-11 4:08:33 AM

nutkick_42: /Gongrats

ratpictures.netView Full Size

ratpictures.netView Full Size

ratpictures.netView Full Size

Well played sir. FARK THE POWER.

2011-08-11 4:12:49 AM
now, that just deserves conga rats on your cheesemint

/terrible, i know

2011-08-11 5:28:59 AM

Theaetetus: downstairs: You can keep most things a secret as to how they work anyway. Like not releasing your source code in the software world. Also, anyone who says "patents should be abolished, we should return to the wonderful era of trade secrets" is either evil, or a total idiot.

What's the matter? Rent-seeking not paying as well as it used to?

2011-08-11 6:40:55 AM

Or the offer of a Guinness bar towel.

2011-08-11 7:24:15 AM
Drew kicks puppies in the head.

2011-08-11 9:37:13 AM

Yeah, that's it. I must not be aware of the prescient that's been set.

2011-08-11 10:17:20 AM

ParallelUniverseParking: well done Drew & Legal Team Fark .
[i483.photobucket.com image 336x420]

[threadjack]
I recognize Tom Waits, but what is this from?
[/threadjack]

2011-08-11 12:07:39 PM

Theaetetus: downstairs: Do you want multiple examples? Yes ... the big guys go after the little guys first to establish prescient and the like. If you seriously deal in the world of patent law you must not be very aware of what goes on in your industry.

Yeah, that's it. I must not be aware of the prescient that's been set.

My Android spellcheck is goofy at times. Precedent is what I meant. Why not address the content of what I said rather than the typos?

2011-08-11 12:44:49 PM
*golf clap*

Well done drew. I totally get not wanting to hit up the legal fight of a counter claim, but getting them to ditch the NDA is a huge win in itself

2011-08-11 2:27:32 PM
Roetzel & Andress

Glad an Akron company could help!

2011-08-11 2:39:03 PM

Sarcastica75: The price is right.

Instead of Drew Carey, we have Drew Curtis and the Farkettes...

What's coming up in the showcase? A brand new Jack Sh*t And Go F*ck Yourself?

Good on you, Drew!

2011-08-11 2:43:18 PM

leftyblonde: [i59.photobucket.com image 219x544]

OMFG...you just DID NOT p'shop that...

:D

2011-08-11 3:22:36 PM
Nice work, Drew. For you folks who don't know, here's a good primer on patent trolls.

2011-08-11 8:25:16 PM
Awesome, Drew!
Congrats on winning that bullsh*t suit.

2011-08-13 11:59:24 AM
So awesome even one of my friends who is a non-FARKer is sharing this blog post on Facebook (I actually read about it from him).

They really should have paid the legal costs too, damnit.

2011-08-13 6:06:51 PM

2011-08-13 6:08:47 PM

Quadrille: Hardly a victory - the troll is free to harass others, with no punishment or deterrent. Call it a draw if you must. But it's no victory.

Who's the troll, friend?

2011-08-13 9:30:56 PM
img202.imageshack.usView Full Size

I think this conveys a few sentiments and feelings here rather well.

Again, heartiest congratulations to Drew and his team - cheers!