Skip to content

Fark NotNewsletter: 15 exciting new uses for silica gel desiccant packets!
Posted by DisseminationMonkey at 2022-06-22 5:11:37 PM (63 comments) | Permalink

1445 clicks; posted to Main » on 22 Jun 2022 at 5:30 PM (2 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook

Drew is busy working on a zombie apocalypse plan today, but he'll be around for the Fark News Livestream at 4 p.m. on Thursday. Hooray!

XOXO,

DisseminationMonkey

Top Comments

Some of the top-voted smartest and funniest comments from the past week

Funny:
markie_farkie explained high-tech '70s fashion when NewportBarGuy identified a sexy style
Miss_Dorothy_Kilgallen named potential choices if airlines start using this new seat design
JulieAzel626 let us know what John Hinkley said when he was released
bloobeary figured out the source of the "extraterrestrial" signals detected by China
Chemlight Battery explained why a worker who sunk a hole-in-one in a hallway to get everyone a day off was called "brave"
Flyinglemur shared more information about $1 million worth of Ford F-150 Raptors that were stolen from a manufacturing plant
freidog found out who's impressed by China's Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical Telescope's findings
AnotherBluesStringer revealed the real reason Robert Plant turned down a role on "Game of Thrones"
Breaker Moran told us where we could learn more about Tesla, Inc.

Smart:
ImpendingCynic wondered about four officers the Navy recently relieved of command
Private_Citizen discussed John Cena's magic power
tuxq, for one, welcomed our future alien overlords
New Rising Sun had a bad feeling about flying pod-people style
Private_Citizen compared the metric system and the 'Murican system
HeartBurnKid reminded us about an element of the freedom of speech that many people are still somehow unaware of
NewportBarGuy discussed MicroStrategy's cofounder and CEO Michael Saylor
crustysandman told us about meeting John Cena
NeoCortex42 had a practical reason for Darth Vader to seem weakest in the original trilogy

CSB Sunday Morning themeBarbecue stories
SmartThe Pope of Manwich Village followed strict rules about getting all up in another man's grill
FunnyCreoena's mom was a smartass

Politics Funny:
nicoffeine was relieved to read the details warning against visiting Turkey
RasIanI sorted out a misunderstanding from March for our Lives
Mr. Coffee Nerves let us know what was on Fox News during one of the January 6 hearings
nakmuay shared that Mike Pence asked a familiar question as the insurrectionists closed in on him
mrshowrules found a letter from one of Rep. Barry Loudermilk's visitors at the Capitol on January 5, 2021

Politics Smart:
NeoCortex42 pointed out one area in which Trump has the advantage over Biden
Maybe you should drive had reason to be prouder than the Proud Boys
somedude210 still had faith in the system
mrshowrules thought about how Uvalde's hiring of a law firm to fight the release of records adds more insult to injury for the families of Uvalde victims
monkeyman3875 had a message for a Patriot Front member who was kicked out of his mother's house for his hateful actions

Top Contest Entries

Some of the top-voted contest entries from last week

Photoshops:
RedZoneTuba used the perfect frame for a photo of Howard's sweetheart
Wrongo found a great deal on a house for sale
Yammering_Splat_Vector showed us Ike's "casual Friday" look
bugdozer had Putin point out Dick Butt's butt
stickindamud made "Mary Poppins" so much better
RedZoneTuba showed a tractor towing its ample harvest
samsquatch gilded this swan's feet
Eat The Placenta was going to have a hard time getting these shoes on Dorothy
stickindamud made this singer's legs match her dress
Wrongo reunited these two pals

Farktography themeFlutterbys
Clockwork Kumquat caught a gliding butterfly and its sliding shadow

Fark Headlines of the Week

A selection of some of the top headlines from last week

In stunning reversal of fortune, man threatens White Castle with gas

401(k) statements will now include helpful estimates of whether you can afford dollar store cat kibble or Fancy Feast in retirement. Those of you without retirement accounts can still count on eating mice, or each other

We knew it was an acrimonious divorce, but when did Kanye get warships, planes, and thousands of soldiers?

Acknowledging rollercoaster of American economy, Tacoma Narrows Bridge anticipates reduction of toll rates this fall, a move expected to resonate with drivers

🎵 When the shiat hits the fan / but your dick's in your hand / that's Uvaldeeee 🎵

Firefighting boat has two jobs: be a boat, and fight fires. Officials are now investigating why it caught fire and sank

"The President, while riding his bicycle on vacation, came to a sudden arboreal stop"

Just a reminder that the Real ID Act has turned 18, and now must pay full price at the security theater starting May 3, 2023

Well lookie here, another abandoned child of Herschel Walker. Check your couch cushions, closets, and sheds

Log Cabin Republicans shocked to learn the Texas Republican Party, long known for their acceptance and inclusion, has voted to shut the group out of their convention

Amazon won't give employees a day off to celebrate the end of slavery, which seems pretty on the mark

There was a detectorist in Kent / Whose days were detectoring spent / His wand found a peen / With a silvery sheen / But the treasure's the Crown's not that gent's

Fark Weird News Quiz (brought to you by ox45tallboy)

Another fun time on the Quiz last week, where we discovered that some of us still like bologna enough to have brand preferences. Unfortunately, we'll be serving the stuff I found on sale in the 1000 Club this time. On the Quiz itself, Tax Boy came out on top with 1032 and will be joined in the 1000 Club by dionysusaur with a score of 1023. LizardOnAStick made third with 947, Blackstone made fourth with 933, and spudbeach made it into the top five with 932,

The hardest question on last week's Hard Quiz was about a record currently being pursued by Queen Elizabeth II, much to the dismay of Prince Charles. Only 30% of quiztakers knew that King Louis XIV of France inherited the throne when he was only four years old, with his mother acting as regent until he was crowned at the age of 15. His reign of 72 years, 110 days is the longest in modern world history, but Queen Elisabeth has less than two years to go to take over this title.

The easiest question on the Hard Quiz last week was about the Abilene (TX) Zoo's newest addition, a baby steenbok. 87% of quiztakers knew that a steenbok is an adorable miniature antelope common in southern and eastern Africa. They only stand about 24" at the soldier, and their main defense against predators seems to be their cuteness and the fact they're too small to have any meat.

The hardest question on last week's Easy Quiz was about Disney milking an already successful blockbuster because they can. Only 50% of quiztakers guessed that "Spider-Man: No Way Home" would be returning to the big screen in an extended cut called "The More Fun Stuff Version", which will feature scenes cut for time and pacing with more interactions between the three Spider-Men and hopefully more scenes of Dr. Strange's basement and the weird stuff they find there.

The easiest question on last week's Easy Quiz was about Disney refusing to milk an upcoming blockbuster by cutting content to get it into more theaters. 90% of quiztakers knew that Pixar's "Lightyear" won't be shown in Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, or the UAE because the filmmakers refused to cut a scene involving a same-sex kiss. A few decades from now, the decisions by these "cultural ministers" are going to seem as absurd as the decisions of American theaters to not screen "Gone With the Wind" because Clark Gable said a naughty word.

If you missed out last week, now's a great time to catch up on the Fark Weird News Quiz now that you know a few of the answers. Congratulations once again to the winners, and we'll be doing it all again on Friday.

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

2022-06-22 5:17:10 PM

2022-06-22 5:18:05 PM

2022-06-22 5:20:39 PM
Where's my list!? I wanted my 15 uses!

/I've been conned!

2022-06-22 5:22:05 PM

2022-06-22 5:24:06 PM

ImpendingCynic: Woo, I don't think I've made the newsletter before when it wasn't a poltab post. All 3 of them.

Once I had the top two funniest posts. They were gifs and they quickly changed the rules so they had to be original.

Shakes tiny fish.

2022-06-22 5:24:51 PM

2022-06-22 5:27:17 PM

2022-06-22 5:28:33 PM

DisseminationMonkey: [Fark user image 460x335] [View Full Size image _x_]

I adore you.

2022-06-22 5:33:14 PM

I adore you.

Well, that compliment made me smile hugely.

2022-06-22 5:33:39 PM

2022-06-22 5:35:28 PM

DisseminationMonkey: Non Sequitur Man: DisseminationMonkey: [Fark user image 460x335] [View Full Size image _x_]

I adore you.

Well, that compliment made me smile hugely.

You're my favorite monkey and will always be. <3 Thanks for all you do!

2022-06-22 5:37:10 PM
I know the owner of that "duckie feet" picture frame that was so hilariously photoshopped. Her husband hates it...so, naturally, she put it in a place of prominence in their house.

I'm gonna have to tell her she's now Fark Famous™:

2022-06-22 5:37:34 PM
Mike comes in at a close second.

2022-06-22 5:39:53 PM

2022-06-22 5:42:17 PM
By the way, thank you ox45tallboy for helping me with a headline idea.

2022-06-22 5:49:39 PM
buttplug

2022-06-22 5:52:08 PM

2022-06-22 5:52:10 PM
Protip on the hardest question on the Hard Quiz: Read the entire question. I picked who she passed rather than who was on top.

2022-06-22 5:58:14 PM

2022-06-22 5:58:15 PM
I use one of those plastic Rubbermaid drawer things as a breadbox. I put a handful of desiccant packets in the bottom to help keep the bread from molding up so fast. Seems to work.

2022-06-22 6:01:04 PM

kabloink: [Fark user image image 708x1075]

I've got a really gorgeous Malanika. I keep silica gel with it in storage so it doesn't gradually rust.

2022-06-22 6:01:26 PM

2022-06-22 6:03:20 PM

2022-06-22 6:04:15 PM

bugdozer: [Fark user image image 850x707]

Sark party in the Balls room is very fitting.

2022-06-22 6:05:30 PM

2022-06-22 6:05:35 PM

Non Sequitur Man: Mike comes in at a close second.

comeupants.comView Full Size

2022-06-22 6:06:09 PM

2022-06-22 6:09:33 PM

libranoelrose: Non Sequitur Man: Mike comes in at a close second.

[comeupants.com image 640x360] [View Full Size image _x_]

2022-06-22 6:11:59 PM
Fark.com obsolete server smashup, November 2019
Youtube 2pkBiwepsew

2022-06-22 6:17:13 PM
I've always wondered if Mike was drunk when he was  smashing the instruments of his angst. I mean, he missed a few strokes and decimated the ground instead. Fucking hilarious.

2022-06-22 6:18:39 PM

I love that Mike and Lelia both got a few good smacks in ;)

2022-06-22 6:19:48 PM

2022-06-22 6:19:51 PM

kb7rky: Non Sequitur Man: [iFrame https://www.youtube.com/embed/2pkBiwepsew?autoplay=1&widget_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fark.com&start=0&enablejsapi=1&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fark.com&widgetid=1]

I love that Mike and Lelia both got a few good smacks in ;)

Agreed

2022-06-22 6:23:02 PM
They help keep your jack-o-lantern fresh. You can also put them inside of something that has a musty smell to help remove it. Worked like a charm for the antique china hutch I got.

2022-06-22 6:27:48 PM
i.imgur.comView Full Size

2022-06-22 6:35:42 PM

bugdozer: [Fark user image 850x707]

Heh.  That's funny.

But who's that homeless guy in the purple shirt?

2022-06-22 6:37:48 PM

real_headhoncho: Wait... did one of my submissions make Headline of the Month?  From the Main Page?

I guess it did.
[Fark user image 351x348] [View Full Size image _x_]

2022-06-22 6:40:31 PM

KangTheMad: bugdozer: [Fark user image image 850x707]

Sark party in the Balls room is very fitting.

c.tenor.comView Full Size

2022-06-22 6:44:30 PM

Because the servers were on the ground instead at waist height.  If the parts were on a stone or iron platform, would've go much better results with a minimum damage to the lower back muscles.

2022-06-22 6:49:18 PM

2022-06-22 6:56:43 PM

Diocletian's Last Cabbage: Non Sequitur Man: I've always wondered if Mike was drunk when he was  smashing the instruments of his angst. I mean, he missed a few strokes and decimated the ground instead. farking hilarious.

I offered to buy some Maker's Mark for inspiration but he declined.

2022-06-22 7:08:51 PM

Diocletian's Last Cabbage: bugdozer: [Fark user image 850x707]

But who's that homeless guy in the purple shirt?

Badly-ironed to boot.

2022-06-22 7:18:48 PM

bugdozer: [Fark user image 850x707]

Sark would be a good location for a Fark party if it wasn't so difficult to get to.

2022-06-22 7:21:21 PM
I toss silica gel packs in the drawers of my tool chests out in the garage. Helps keep the tools from rusting.

2022-06-22 7:22:15 PM

phishrace: I used to work for a big computer company that added giant desiccant bags to each main frame computer cabinet it shipped. I grabbed a few and put them in large zip lock bags, for emergencies. Each one weighs several pounds. Really big. I could probably dry out the entire Pacific ocean in a day or two if I really needed to. You never know when things like that might come up.

Also useful for cats.
homebargains.co.ukView Full Size

2022-06-22 7:58:49 PM

2022-06-22 8:17:51 PM

Dance Party: I have a giant ziplock bag of all those silica gel things.  When my phone gets wet I stick it in there -- forget the rice.  That sh*t does nothing.

Rice will absorb water when wet, or steam forced into it above a certain pressure, but it isn't hygroscopic.

Of course, if somebody could invent hygroscopic rice, many home cooks would appreciate it.

2022-06-22 8:25:40 PM

Gordon Bennett: bugdozer: [Fark user image 850x707]

2022-06-22 8:27:55 PM
Bollocks! Only just spotted yours, cretinbob !

2022-06-22 8:45:16 PM