Skip to content

Fark NotNewsletter: We get to carry each other
Posted by DisseminationMonkey at 2021-07-21 1:04:27 PM (72 comments) | Permalink

608 clicks; posted to Main » on 21 Jul 2021 at 8:57 PM (13 days ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook

________________________

A message from Drew Curtis:
________________________

Hey everyone, hope your week's been going well.

This past weekend was pretty rough.  We had three Farkers pass, two of whom we haven't been able to post a thread about pending permission from their families - we're still waiting to hear back.  Be safe out there, folks.

Speaking of being safe out there, I'll be riding a bike across Iowa next week.  The timing seems to coincide with the upcoming Covid-19 third wave surge.

Back when Covid kicked off last year, my dad, who is 75 years old, was playing three to four times a week in a senior softball league.  He and his teammates got together to figure out what to do for the 2020 season.  They decided to keep playing, but took every possible precaution.  Even still, there was no way to completely eliminate risk.  I talked to my dad about it, he said he didn't think he could make it through the pandemic without softball.  He could let everything else go but not that.  He understood there were risks but he was at peace with them.

I feel the same regarding this bike ride.  I'm vaccinated, I'll be outside the entire time, I'm packing masks because I don't trust rural Iowa sensibilities about vaccines, etc. etc.  I was going to visit some friends on the way back home, but they have an unvaccinated daughter, so we've postponed until later.  There's still some risk, but I need to do this.

I know this won't satisfy everyone, but that's why I'm still going.  Follow along on my Instagram feed where I'll be posting pics along the 450-mile route.

But the real reason I need to go do this is because if I don't, I'm going to keep gaining weight until I look like this guy. Congrats to my doppelganger for winning the NBA championship last night

One more thing: The Fark News Livestream will be off this week and next, then return in August.

________________________

We now return you to your usual Fark NotNewsletter.
________________________

Top Comments

Some of the top-voted smartest and funniest comments from the past week

Funny:
little big man figured someone might benefit from an ex-spouse's arrest
Driedsponge responded to the argument that Richard Branson didn't technically go to space
weddingsinger argued against the notion that the inconvenience of charging electric vehicles during long trips forces one to "slow down and enjoy the journey"
E.S.Q. expressed surprise at a report that men in one Iranian city have a habit of cracking something most people wouldn't want to crack
mcmnky suggested other things be prioritized before someone who refused to get vaccinated is given a lung transplant
Ponzholio adapted a religious poem to fit modern-day needs
The Googles Do Nothing explained why it would still acceptable if a gun concealed within a bible were to misfire
UberDave broke into song to celebrate the legalization of "the process of converting bodies into soil"
skinink showed us a COVID-19 outbreak at a Texas megachurch
Pocket Ninja called someone out on their sarcasm

Smart:
ltnor asked the important question about a woman's fight to wear teeny tiny shorts on a plane
Telephone Sanitizer Second Class found one group's objections to the legal composting of human remains to be a bit much
UngaBeat thought there could be better options for charging electric vehicles than sitting at charging stations
somedude210 plans to one day answer the question, "If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?"
edmo knew what you should do to make sure your note pleading for help is taken seriously by cops
Lsherm explained how obvious the problem with construction of the Kansas City Hyatt Regency Hotel's skywalks that led to their devastating 1981 collapse should have been
151 described what some restaurants are doing in order to try to fully staff their businesses
mrmopar5287 shared a theory on why the the parents of the toddler whose grandfather dropped her out a cruise ship window are focused on holding the cruise line responsible

Politics Funny:
Ginnungagap42 had a much better commercial for Freedom Phone
Prof. Frink discussed real estate prices in Florida
grokca guessed at what might be a significant song to many Americans
ElPrimitivo helped out when Farkers were disturbed that Donald Trump Jr. posted a picture of his dad's face on Tupac Shakur's body
ralphjr provided a dramatic illustration of Shostie's autocorrect fail

Politics Smart:
NotCodger touted the main feature of Freedom Phone
claytonemery examined the reasons one might want to work for Donald Trump
rohar revealed the sneaky, underhanded techniques one fast food restaurant is using to stay fully staffed
weddingsinger gave an insider's view of the problems some restaurants claim to be having because "people don't want to work"
GitOffaMyLawn tried to help someone who didn't trust the COVID-19 vaccines

Top Contest Entries

Some of the top-voted contest entries from last week, listed from highest number of votes down

Photoshops:
Yammering_Splat_Vector found out why dinosaurs didn't eat much cheese
RedZoneTuba showed us what happens to unsold Stretch Armstrong dolls
Yammering_Splat_Vector brought back a departed Beatle
Yammering_Splat_Vector spotted something strange in the sky
Yammering_Splat_Vector discovered that not a lot has changed for a former Trump Cabinet member and his spouse
Yammering_Splat_Vector got ready to put one of these on every corner
Yammering_Splat_Vector revealed what warriors eat for dinner
Kick The Chair showed us why this guy prefers to have a beard
Yammering_Splat_Vector found a hare in the ice cream
RedZoneTuba brewed a new beer for Fark

Captions:
From
This good boi and his friends need a caption:
dionysusaur had a simple question
Unobtanium was reminded of a classic cartoon
Benevolent Misanthrope felt that this dog was exactly where he wanted to be
tmyk sang about this pup's predicament

Fartist Friday: Show & Tell vol. 10: The Moon's Time to Shine
Lamberts Ho Man took a stunning photo of some red rocks in Green River

This week's Fartist Friday theme, brought to you by E-brake: Create new services that nobody has asked for nor would want and illustrate them in action. Inspired by this Tweet as an example: "Couchr - delivering random furniture to your doorstep without notice©." Illustrate your own silly service idea using any medium and tell us what it does.

Farktography: A Bridge Too Far
tfarmer001 snapped three bridges being eaten by the mist monster

Beyond Fark

We're sad to have recently lost Farker Mztlplx. His friend technomuse wrote a loving tribute to him in a recent NASCAR thread, which also was Mztlplx's memorial thread since he was a beloved member of the NASFARK community. He was also a member of fWc, Fark's wrestling fan community.  Mztlplx participated in threads all across Fark and TotalFark, and he was often a high scorer on Fark Weird News Quizzes. Our hearts go out to his family and friends, and we're grateful to have had him share some of his humor and friendship with us.

Fark Weird News Quiz (brought to you by ox45tallboy)

Another fun time on the Quiz last week, although a glitch (which turned out to be a PEBKAC error on my part) caused a few quiztakers to get too many questions. So here are the top 10 results:

Buzzerguy - 1195
TheCheese - 1107
catmander - 987
KumquatMay - 981
AirForceVet - 980
Denjiro - 940
ANDizzleWI - 939
Walker - 930
kona - 927
State_College_Arsonist - 923

The hardest question on last week's Hard Quiz was about the proposed location for the upcoming International Salsa Museum. Only 26% of quiztakers knew that combination of Cuban son mutono (literally "mountain sound") with influences of jazz, mambo, and other styles that we know as "salsa" came about in The Bronx in New York City in the 1970s. Interestingly, the table dip we know as "salsa" also came about in Mexican restaurants in the United States, and is rarely seen in restaurants in Mexico outside of tourist areas where foreigners "expect it".

The easiest question on the Hard Quiz was about legendary television writer and creator Delia Fiallo, known as the "mother of the telenovela". 98% of quiztakers knew that a Latin telenovela was the equivalent of an American soap opera. Although I think they sell detergente y jabón in their commercials instead.

The hardest question on last week's Easy Quiz was about AMC and their upcoming adaptations of Anne Rice novels. Only 55% of quiztakers knew that her 1976 novel "Interview With a Vampire" was actually her first novel in the "Vampire Chronicles" series, and would be AMC's first adaptation. Let's hope they decide against another attempt at "Exit to Eden", or at least pick a better cast than Dan Akroyd and Rosie O'Donnell.

The easiest question on last week's Easy Quiz was about which 1999 TV show launched the careers of Seth Rogen, James Franco, and Jason Segel. 95% of quiztakers remembered those guys from the NBC show "Freaks & Geeks". "The State" was an MTV sketch comedy show whose most famous alums were probably Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter.

If you missed out on last week's Quiz, you can catch up on the Fark Weird News Quiz now that you know a few of the answers. Congratulations once again to the winners, and we'll do it all again this week.

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

2021-07-21 1:09:20 PM
F*ck MORE Farkers died?
What a shiat week...

2021-07-21 1:15:08 PM

puffy999: F*ck MORE Farkers died?
What a shiat week...

We lost three farkers this week (._. )

2021-07-21 1:19:40 PM
Can we say who?

Even just the one?

2021-07-21 1:19:50 PM

2021-07-21 1:20:49 PM

2021-07-21 1:25:00 PM

Gubbo: Can we say who?

Even just the one?

Up above in the "Beyond Fark" section.

Gubbo: This presumably isn't the right place, but how would I check on whether someone just stopped using the site or actually, you know...

I'm not sure. Have you tried seeing if there's an email in their profile? I'd send you to Farkback, but really they can't tell you anything that's not already public.

2021-07-21 1:26:43 PM

raerae1980: puffy999: F*ck MORE Farkers died?
What a shiat week...

We lost three farkers this week (._. )

Damn.

2021-07-21 1:33:34 PM

Try contacting them with a ouija board. If they don't respond they're still alive.

2021-07-21 1:36:51 PM

2021-07-21 1:37:46 PM

DisseminationMonkey: Up above in the "Beyond Fark" section.

That's just one Farker. Newsletter says three.

2021-07-21 1:39:39 PM

2021-07-21 1:39:45 PM

Arkanaut: DisseminationMonkey: Up above in the "Beyond Fark" section.

That's just one Farker. Newsletter says three.

We're waiting on permission from the families.

2021-07-21 1:41:27 PM
That bike ride sounds like a lot of fun, Drew!  Don't let the goobers get you down.

2021-07-21 1:41:32 PM
I've seen some of you all, I'm not sure how many of you all I could physically carry.

2021-07-21 1:45:12 PM

2021-07-21 1:51:14 PM
Are we sure it wasn't 3 alts of the same farker?

2021-07-21 1:54:02 PM

2021-07-21 1:55:32 PM

2021-07-21 1:57:15 PM

That's horrible. So glad you're doing better.

2021-07-21 1:58:37 PM

DisseminationMonkey: Arkanaut: DisseminationMonkey: Up above in the "Beyond Fark" section.

That's just one Farker. Newsletter says three.

We're waiting on permission from the families.

Gotcha, thanks.

2021-07-21 2:11:19 PM

Very glad you're doing well.

2021-07-21 2:12:50 PM

2021-07-21 2:19:49 PM

40 degree day: Are we sure it wasn't 3 alts of the same farker?

I'm still alive so there are at least seven of us still kicking fwiw

2021-07-21 2:25:50 PM

Alwysadydrmr: bighairyguy: I almost went on the cart but I recovered.  Chemo side effects knocked my kidney functions down to 30%.  Back to normal again thanks to vigorous intervention during  two weeks in the hospital.  Finally recovering at home.

Very glad you're doing well.

Goddammit! Doing better*

2021-07-21 2:26:56 PM

Non Sequitur Man: [Fark user image 358x201] [View Full Size image _x_]

Hard to believe those are both birds.

2021-07-21 2:27:16 PM
Fun fact: I am hungover as fark

2021-07-21 2:46:41 PM

little big man: Must be RAGBRAI time - too humid for me but Mrs. LBM rode that years ago.  Lots of corn pictures.

RAGBRAI and Bike Across Kansas were both things I wanted to do about 10 years ago, but now both are getting beyond stupidly huge to the point where esp. on the BAK everywhere to stay along the route is booked out a couple days before the route's actually announced.  And since I would prefer not to do the whole ride in one contiguous 70+ hour grind or sleeping in a ditch with a thousand other people, that makes both tours a tad inaccessible to me.  Otherwise they're both relatively flat gravel grinders with reasonably good weather and decent locals.

Seattle to Portland is inaccessible to me because as far as rides go, there's steep long climbs, shiatty weather, and shiatty, Branch Dildonian-grade locals.  I can only deal with two.  And the STP has all three in spades.

2021-07-21 2:50:35 PM

2021-07-21 3:01:19 PM

40 degree day: Are we sure it wasn't 3 alts of the same farker?

Jesus

2021-07-21 3:02:16 PM

Bathia_Mapes: [Fark user image 400x267] [View Full Size image _x_]

2021-07-21 3:10:21 PM

[Fark user image 480x353] [View Full Size image _x_]

2021-07-21 3:11:46 PM

[Fark user image 480x353] [View Full Size image _x_]

2021-07-21 3:20:29 PM

[Fark user image 480x353] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 428x826] [View Full Size image _x_]

2021-07-21 3:23:29 PM

[Fark user image 480x353] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 428x826] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 600x338] [View Full Size image _x_]

1, 2, 3, 4...It's a gif war!

2021-07-21 3:27:23 PM

2021-07-21 3:40:47 PM

2021-07-21 3:44:49 PM

Non Sequitur Man: [Fark user image 360x360] [View Full Size image _x_]

comeupants.comView Full Size

2021-07-21 3:57:04 PM

raerae1980: puffy999: F*ck MORE Farkers died?
What a shiat week...

We lost three farkers this week (._. )

Did anybody check behind the chesterfield?

2021-07-21 3:58:43 PM

arrogantbastich: I'm not carrying any of you. My back hurts from growing old and I'm irritable because it's suck to breathe all that wildfire smoke that's outside right now.

Then this song is for you
Bowling For Soup - Getting Old Sucks (But Everybody's Doing It) [Official Music Video]
Youtube N4e_IZFwTfM

2021-07-21 4:11:11 PM

libranoelrose: Non Sequitur Man: [Fark user image 360x360] [View Full Size image _x_]

[comeupants.com image 250x216] [View Full Size image _x_]

2021-07-21 4:14:42 PM

[Fark user image 480x353] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 428x826] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 600x338] [View Full Size image _x_]

I think, for Fark, that rat needs bigger balls.

2021-07-21 4:16:59 PM

Baloo Uriza: DisseminationMonkey: Bathia_Mapes: DisseminationMonkey: Bathia_Mapes: [Fark user image 400x267] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 480x353] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 428x826] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 600x338] [View Full Size image _x_]

I think, for Fark, that rat needs bigger balls.

Pretty sure it's a girl rat. I've seen boy rats and they have huge balls.

2021-07-21 4:24:22 PM
comeupants.comView Full Size

2021-07-21 4:26:13 PM

[Fark user image 480x353] [View Full Size image _x_]

[Fark user image 428x826] [View Full Size image _x_]

comeupants.comView Full Size

2021-07-21 4:29:52 PM
Fark user imageView Full Size

Left my friend Mickey my 2c.
She'd laugh.
Screw Cancer AND Covidiots¡

2021-07-21 4:42:23 PM
It's been a long time since I did any of these, so here's my new set.

2021-07-21 4:42:47 PM