If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Phys Org2)   Wow. We'll have enough salt to last forever   ( phys.org) divider line
    More: Spiffy, Lithium, Potassium, lithium ions, Water, Reverse osmosis, Professor Huanting Wang, lithium ion selectivity, Professor Benny Freeman  
•       •       •

3406 clicks; posted to Geek » on 09 Feb 2018 at 4:50 PM (23 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



34 Comments     (+0 »)
 
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2018-02-09 03:31:20 PM  
What's the XKCD time frame for a significant lab development becoming an actual thing?
 
2018-02-09 03:43:17 PM  
Asimov (or was it Clarke?) proposed this decades ago to get gold and other elements out of the ocean waters.
 
2018-02-09 03:47:33 PM  
media2.giphy.comView Full Size
 
2018-02-09 04:25:48 PM  
Especially with the looming tequila shortage.  Greater supply + dropping demand = buying opportunity!
 
2018-02-09 04:33:41 PM  
Wasn't there some middle school kid who figured out how to use membranes to make fresh water out of salt water? The method the kid used was simply to separate the water and salt molecules (about 9% of total sea water molecules) from the remaining water molecules (other 91% of sea water).
 
2018-02-09 04:38:34 PM  

Spectrum: [media2.giphy.com image 450x252]


img.fark.netView Full Size
 
2018-02-09 04:38:41 PM  
Well that's one way to deal with rising sea levels and drought.

Build a planetary desalination and water pipeline system.

Nahhhh, who am I kidding? There's no profit in saving the planet.
 
2018-02-09 04:42:06 PM  
The ready-to-eat food industry accepts your challenge, Submitter.
 
2018-02-09 04:45:47 PM  
I did not get that reference...
 
2018-02-09 05:21:55 PM  

enry: Asimov (or was it Clarke?) proposed this decades ago to get gold and other elements out of the ocean waters.


Clarke. "The Man Who Ploughed The Sea."
 
2018-02-09 05:27:38 PM  
Wow, I thought from the headline they'd found a way to industrialize the byproducts of the video and tabletop gaming industries.
 
2018-02-09 05:28:49 PM  
You'll have to forgive subby, he's a little horse.
 
2018-02-09 05:46:38 PM  
Oh, damn.  I thought this was an article about Minnesota vikings fans.
 
2018-02-09 06:08:58 PM  

enry: Asimov (or was it Clarke?) proposed this decades ago to get gold and other elements out of the ocean waters.


We need to recover some phosphorus.
 
2018-02-09 06:10:29 PM  
When do we find the Chinese Brother who can streeeeeetch his legs?
 
2018-02-09 06:18:57 PM  
I guess with global warming we can always evaporate the waste water
 
2018-02-09 06:31:02 PM  
Since the creation of the Internet, we have created the largest untapped reserve of salt the universe has ever seen.

pics.me.meView Full Size
 
2018-02-09 06:33:36 PM  
So it'll be expensive, then?
 
2018-02-09 06:37:41 PM  

AirForceVet: Wasn't there some middle school kid who figured out how to use membranes to make fresh water out of salt water? The method the kid used was simply to separate the water and salt molecules (about 9% of total sea water molecules) from the remaining water molecules (other 91% of sea water).


Am I missing a joke?

Yes, simply removing the salt from salt water makes it not salt water. I'm not sure that is a method.
 
2018-02-09 07:12:04 PM  
"Wow. We'll have enough salt to last forever."

So we are going to grind up Patriots fans? I'm in.
 
2018-02-09 07:59:50 PM  
Now all we have to do is figure out how to collect the ethanol in the Sagittarius B2 Molecular Cloud and a whole lot of limes. Add in the supply of never-ending salt and you have a real Fark Party.
 
2018-02-09 08:45:40 PM  
Clicked on the link expecting another article about the new Star Wars era. Leaving surprised and disappointed.
 
2018-02-09 09:06:26 PM  
After seeing subby's post it's going to take two weeks for the surgeons just to get the smile off my face!
 
2018-02-09 09:55:15 PM  

enry: Asimov (or was it Clarke?) proposed this decades ago to get gold and other elements out of the ocean waters.


As Frank Zappa said, "The Ocean is The Ultimate Solution."

Frank Zappa - The Ocean is The Ultimate Solution
Youtube zCNRgfkeWXs
 
2018-02-09 11:46:44 PM  

TaskForce26: After seeing subby's post it's going to take two weeks for the surgeons just to get the smile off my face!


I suggest you invest in a plug adaptor.
 
2018-02-10 12:49:10 AM  

AirForceVet: Wasn't there some middle school kid who figured out how to use membranes to make fresh water out of salt water? The method the kid used was simply to separate the water and salt molecules (about 9% of total sea water molecules) from the remaining water molecules (other 91% of sea water).


Some kid might have done it as a science fair project. That's the reverse osmosis method discussed in the article.
 
2018-02-10 06:23:38 AM  
So, cars, houses, businesses powered by salt?  Excellent. Get on to it, science
 
2018-02-10 08:54:07 AM  
What I could have gleaned from the article is that "mining" rare earth metals from seawater seems to be the focus of the research, and the distillation of pure water could also result. Primarily they want to separate lithium so the world can stay plugged in to their mobile devices.

What I actually got from the article is one of the researchers is named Professor Huanting Wang.
 
2018-02-10 10:04:46 AM  

Smackledorfer: AirForceVet: Wasn't there some middle school kid who figured out how to use membranes to make fresh water out of salt water? The method the kid used was simply to separate the water and salt molecules (about 9% of total sea water molecules) from the remaining water molecules (other 91% of sea water).

Am I missing a joke?

Yes, simply removing the salt from salt water makes it not salt water. I'm not sure that is a method.


Well, it's the method I use, so I can vouch for it.
 
2018-02-10 10:52:51 AM  
So, you're saying they built a Sampo?
 
2018-02-10 06:04:21 PM  

enry: Asimov (or was it Clarke?) proposed this decades ago to get gold and other elements out of the ocean waters.


It was Clarke.  And even these spiffy new membranes will require significant energy to extract fresh water from seawater, the second law of thermodynamics demands it.  They may reduce the energy requirement enough to be worthwhile, but the energy requirement will still be there.
 
2018-02-10 06:10:56 PM  

dittybopper: Smackledorfer: AirForceVet: Wasn't there some middle school kid who figured out how to use membranes to make fresh water out of salt water? The method the kid used was simply to separate the water and salt molecules (about 9% of total sea water molecules) from the remaining water molecules (other 91% of sea water).

Am I missing a joke?

Yes, simply removing the salt from salt water makes it not salt water. I'm not sure that is a method.

Well, it's the method I use, so I can vouch for it.


Reverse osmosis has been around for a long time.  No way a middle school kid "invented" it.  He may have made it work with some commonly available thin film material that no one had though to try or something like that, but the process has been around for too long.

And reverse osmosis does make drinkable fresh water out of most sea water, in that there is very little the membrane allows through that is not water.  In theory you could find a non-ionic contaminant that would not be stopped by the osmotic membrane, but unless that contaminant is common enough in actual seawater to be a problem, it's not an issue.  The membranes don't allow most bacteria through, though I suppose the operators of these plants have to take steps to prevent new bacteria from breeding on the "fresh" side simply because bacterial films have a way of growing on anything that contains water.
 
2018-02-10 06:12:07 PM  

Nicholas D. Wolfwood: So, you're saying they built a Sampo?


Better, a reverse Sampo.  Our ancestors may have valued salt, but for us salt is cheap and water is scarce.
 
2018-02-10 11:05:58 PM  

flondrix: Nicholas D. Wolfwood: So, you're saying they built a Sampo?

Better, a reverse Sampo.  Our ancestors may have valued salt, but for us salt is cheap and water is scarce.


The oceans have plenty of both.

/how silly can you get?
//this is NOT Mel Torme.
 
Displayed 34 of 34 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking

On Twitter





Top Commented
Javascript is required to view headlines in widget.
  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.

Report