If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(NBC News)   90% of Americans think the internet is good for them. The other 10% recognize it for the wretched hive of scum and villainy it is   ( nbcnews.com) divider line
    More: Interesting, Americans  
•       •       •

1313 clicks; posted to Main » on 28 Feb 2014 at 8:32 AM (4 years ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Voting Results (Smartest)
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

2014-02-28 12:09:06 PM  
1 vote:

fizzygillespie: As much as I love the Internet, I've noticed that the way I think and process information has changed over the last 15-20 years. My attention span isn't what it used to be.

I say this completely snark-free.

I still sit down and read books. In fact, I still buy some of my favourite books in hardcover and read them on my Kindle and at home. The proper price for an e-book should be the difference between the cost of the hard-cover before e-books and hard-covers now. I'll usually pay $10 or less for a book I can get at $20 to $30 compared to $30 or $40 before Amazon and Google and iTunes. There's a pleasure in the physical book, the reading lamp, the comfy bed, sofa or chair that can't be matched by the internet although I have been reading books on the Internet since the early 1990s.

I recommend that you force yourself to do one thing at a time and to read and think off line.

It will preserve your attention span and many other values.

My big loss from the Internet is the time to read, to watch TV, and to walk, especially the latter.

I used to walk for a couple of hours in the evening, listening to my music on a Walkman or even to the radio although the commercials and the dullness of the music and chatter quickly drove me away from the radio unless I lucked out and found a great program.

I walk 2.5 km to and from work (for a respectable daily total over 5 km), but I could use more time away from my chair.

I frequently have a book and websites open at the same time, and often I watch a TV show or movie at the same time. But I do give the better books the honour of my full attention.

Unless you have an addictive personality or are avoiding the real world, you can integrate media into a healthy lifestyle.

We need to make sure that books, newspapers and magazines survive just in case the internet decides to swallow the world and die some day through human folly or natural disaster. I am worried that we are going to lose brick and mortar stores altogether. This is efficiency but it is not resilience and resilience is the higher value.

BEWARE THE STEALERS OF SLACK. The Internet is a powerful servant but a terrible master.
2014-02-28 08:38:34 AM  
1 vote:
I was going to post a comment about how all tools can be used inappropriately with regard to the 90-10% split on whether or not the internet is good for them, then I saw this:

FTFA: "76 percent: Internet users who say the people they witness or encounter online are "mostly kind" to each other."

That is MUCH higher than I thought it would be. Who knew 76% of people never viewed the "comments" section of any web site?
Displayed 2 of 2 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking

On Twitter

Top Commented
Javascript is required to view headlines in widget.
  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.