Tax Boy: God Is My Co-Pirate: Sure the Norse did run many peaceful trading missions, but the word Viking was originally a verb[i.imgur.com image 600x343]
SteakMan: Tax Boy: God Is My Co-Pirate: Sure the Norse did run many peaceful trading missions, but the word Viking was originally a verb[i.imgur.com image 600x343]GREAT series!
Marine1: [fanart.tv image 850x478]Approves.
HairBolus: People descended from the Normans have more true Viking ancestry than the wimps left behind and maybe that is why Scandinavia today is so peaceful and non-violent.
WeenerGord: SteakMan: Tax Boy: God Is My Co-Pirate: Sure the Norse did run many peaceful trading missions, but the word Viking was originally a verb[i.imgur.com image 600x343]GREAT series!What series was it?
zimbomba63: I've read Njal's Saga, and the story seem to revolve around petty feuds, with the occasional killing and ends with a mass killing. Not much concerning cultural contributions.Liked the part, where if you killed somebody, you simply had to tell the first person you met, "I killed Louie down by the ford in the stream." and everything was cool. Sure, you would have to pay the weregild at the annual All-thing, but, that was negotiated between the families involved./Skarp Hedin was a bad MF'er, don't cross him.// Don't remember where I read it, but, Christianity came to Iceland via some "saint", who when confronted by an Icelandic chief, who wasn't eager to give up his pagan ways, put a battle-ax upside his head, and the conversion proceed without any further problems.
brantgoose: This text is now purple: generallyso: As if anyway would be ashamed of the wanton murder, rape, pillaging and jaywalking committed by their ancestors.I've long wondered just how crazy pre-Christian Scandinavian women must have been, that so many of their men fled to the relative sanity of Irish women.They weren't fleeing the crazy, my son. They were fleeing sexual equality, the filthy bastards.Irish women can out-pull Irish horses and cattle. Even the tiny ones are as good as a Morgan horse. And they aren't half as difficult to deal with as a Scandinavian woman.In many if not all primitive societies, the women do most of the heavy work (agriculture is part of the housework because kitchen gardens, and commerce, (selling the produce is part of the housework too).If you've ever watched the Dukes of Hazard, you will notice that Daisy is the only person with a job and the only one who ever does a lick of work except for automotive work on the General Lee. And I bet she's still the only one who puts oil and water into the car, let alone gasoline.The Irish-Scots hillbillies of the South are no different in this than their ancestors were 1,000 years ago, or than many Africans, native Americans or others are today. Women's work: 95% including all the unpleasant chores such as birthing and burying. Men's work: hunting, fishing, talking politics, fighting, and the other 5% of the work.If I'm hard on the Scots-Irish and the Scandinavians it is because they're my cousins and ancestors. As the French say, je parle en connaissance de cause. (I know whereof I speak.)Still, hillbillies can be surprisingly liberal. After all, they didn't own a half dozen slaves between them and most of their ancestors fled to the hills because they couldn't stand low land society for one reason or another. A man was a man, and a woman was a slightly more attractive form of the mule.They're the type of brigands and misfits that gathered around Romulus or the young David, son of Jess ...
ckellingc: [img.fark.net image 200x200]Watch it bub!
Want the rest of the Farking story? Try
More threads. More community. More Farking.
Sign up for the Fark NotNewsletter!
Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.
When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.
Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.
You need to create an account to submit links or post comments.
Click here to submit a link.
Also on Fark
Submit a Link »
Copyright © 1999 - 2018 Fark, Inc | Last updated: Jun 22 2018 23:44:41
Runtime: 0.220 sec (219 ms)