Cyno01: Wasnt there a story a while back about some family having to move out of their home while it was decontaminated because somebody broke a fluorescent bulb
rumpelstiltskin: FriarReb98: I know the article says they're trying to put a loophole in for accidental incidents like this, but I'm guessing that'll be a hard law to push through here in Ma$$a¢hu$€tts.Why should there be a loophole for accidents? "Waah Waah, I didn't mean to do it. I shouldn't have to pay for it. Rumpelstilstkin down the road should pay for it."OK, that's a bit harsh. I know why I get to pay for it. Because I can. But because I'm going to pay for it, I should get something out of it, and as much as helping out some oaf warms my heart that just doesn't seem enough. When I was a kid, my parents taught me not to have accidents by making me work in my mother's garden like I was some kind of Mexican until my debt was paid off. We should do something like that here. Make the clumsy kid who broke the thermometer wash all the trucks at the hasmat lot for a couple of years. And I can come by on Saturdays to watch and laugh and throw peanuts at her. That way we all get something out of it.
topcon: Mercury is NOT the super toxic substance the nanny-state world seems to think it is. Literally decades of children played with it in classrooms and otherwise, and they were just fine. I mean yeah, you don't want to eat the shiat and play with it all day long, but minor exposure to it is NOT going to affect you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del: This wasn't "erring on the side of caution," this was "completely disregarding the Mass. DEP guidelines" for cleaning up Mercury spills. Spills of less than one pound (~2 tablespoons) of mercury do not require a hazmat team, they can be cleaned up by the homeowner with gloves and an eyedropper, basically.
FriarReb98: I'd guess she called 911 to see if she had to do anything, and that led to the big red "EVERYBODY PANIC" button being pushed by the police. Just sucks that erring on the side of caution can cost this much.
Cyno01: Wasnt there a story a while back about some family having to move out of their home while it was decontaminated because somebody broke a fluorescent bulb and everyone involved erred on the side of caution and nobody wanted to just say "Its just a little mercury, not really that big a deal, put a fan in the window for a while".
BizarreMan: No dumbass tag for the woman calling a Hazmat team to clean it up?
Want more news before we break it? Try
See what's behind the green doorand help keep the tap flowing
Sign up for the Fark NotNewsletter!
Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.
When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.
Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.
You need to create an account to submit links or post comments.
Click here to submit a link.
Also on Fark
Submit a Link »
Copyright © 1999 - 2018 Fark, Inc | Last updated: Apr 20 2018 00:05:58
Runtime: 0.408 sec (408 ms)