Skip to content
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Fark)   Can we get this year's Halloween / spooky story thread going? I need my fix, I've been jonesing all month   ( divider line
    More: Scary  
•       •       •

4219 clicks; posted to Main » on 31 Oct 2012 at 9:57 AM (8 years ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook

553 Comments     (+0 »)
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | » | Newest | Show all

2012-10-31 7:39:55 AM  
we were about 8 years old and a classmate in town died. one of the kid's had a older sibling that had a oujia board. we kinda didn't understand it all but we got it out and about 8 of us used it in a group. it started to spell out messages and kids started to scream or say they felt something bump them. sure it was part being paranoid and the other half people in the group tricking us but when someone is freaking out and the person next to them saying they didn't brush their leg it can frighten a kid. that event stuck with me for a year or 2.
2012-10-31 7:40:11 AM  

potato_chip_eating_geek: Wolf892

I was wondering if his ass hurt.
2012-10-31 7:47:03 AM  
...and when he woke up in the morning she was still in his bed!!
...and then she wanted to make him eggs!!
...and then he said "but I don't have time I have a meeting at 12:30" and she said "That's ok, I'll drive you there!"
...and he said "no, no, it's at my office, it's like a 1.2 hour commute!" and she said "I don't mind it's on the way to my kids preschool!"
2012-10-31 7:53:11 AM  

farkerintx: True story, this happened to me, about 20 years ago.

I was about 18, a girl I knew in college introduced me to Ouija board one night, it was your store-bought parker bros. version...we played with it, it wasn't that weird because everyone was suspicious of each other about who was moving the planchette. Just a TOY I thought...but interesting at the least. Maybe even a little spooky.

I did a little reading and found out that if you make your own, it's more powerful, better connection to the spirit world, blah blah blah, I wasn't taking this thing seriously, but I was excited by the creepy factor, and how many other people DID take it seriously.

So, one night in October (couple of weeks before Halloween) I called an old girlfriend, "Jenny", and we got to talking (We were reduced to good friends at the time. She was dating some guy named "Patrick" and I had other girls on my mind). We were both a bit bored, so I invited her over. I was living in the apartment above my parents garage, it wasn't much, but it was my "own" place. I told her about my new found knowledge and said I'd make a ouija board to keep us entertained. She was reluctant, but I assured her it was "just a toy" and parker brothers makes these things. "Nothing to worry about, it can't hurt you, it'll be fun"

She had a 20 mile span to cover so I had some time. The board was easy to make, just a piece of 18" x 24" drywall, and I drew the letters and symbols on it with a sharpie. To make the planchette I cut a corner off a pine board and drilled a hole in the middle. Oila~ we had board and were ready to contact Elvis.

A couple of things i told her that I read about these things...(from the box in the store or a movie, I don't know.)

Don't take your hands off the board once you've started. If you do, you could open a "door"
Don't stop the "session" without saying "goodbye", if you do, you could open a "door"
Spirits Lie, can't spell, don't use it alone, and don't burn it near your house.

Now, on to the ...

I believe you. Creepy stuff.

Ouija boards are NOT toys and now you know.
2012-10-31 7:56:10 AM  
My wife spent part of her internship in Murray, KY. She rented an apartment, sight unseen, before she got there. She told me the old lady that owned the place and showed her around was really nice but, for some reason, completely missed out one room during the viewing. My wife thought nothing of it and, once the old lady had gone, she looked in that room. Nothing special, a bedroom w/ ensuite bathroom.

She said the only semi-freaky thing that happened the whole time was that one of the chairs in that room had moved. She got home and found it was blocking the access to the ensuite when she knew it was tucked in under the dresser the last time she was in there.

My wife isn't the sort of person who picks up on these sorts of things so it wasn't until she got back home after her internship that both her parents, brother and friend, independently, told her what had happened when they were staying with her there when visiting. Her dad was literally hopping around saying 'Can I tell her? Can I tell her?

Anyways, turns out her mom was sleeping on the sofa in the living room and couldn't sleep properly the whole time she was there because she kept hearing someone whispering into her ear. Her friend, standing outside, saw someone at the window and thought it was my wife's brother, but he was already in the car. My wife's dad claims he heard a fairly loud conversation (but not shouting) in the room that wasn't used.

It freaked my wife out totally, even though she was back home. A couple of years later we went down there and stopped outside. It looked kinda spooky but really was just an old, dirty, house. It does, though, still give her the chills to think about the place, especially the 'figure' that her friend saw.

2012-10-31 8:00:30 AM  

BuckTurgidson: Turn your lights out.

dum-dum ... dum-dum ... dum-dum ... dum-dum...

The chicken heart was kept alive in a laboratory in a vat. In a special solution: half blood, half sodium salicylate. ... dum-dum ... dum-dum ... dum-dum ...
One day, a careless janitor knocked the vat over *crash* dum-dum ... dum-dum ...
He went to get a rag to clean it up. ... dum-dum ... dum-dum ...
The chicken heart grew ... dum-dum ... dum-dum....
Six foot, five inches. And in search of human blood! ... dum-dum ... dum-dum ... dum-dum ...
The janitor came back, opened the door, got on the floor... dum-dum... dum-dum...


2012-10-31 8:01:26 AM  
There once was a man who lived in Leeds
he filled his garden full of seeds
and when the seeds began to grow
it was like a garden filled with snow
and when the snow began to melt
it was like a ship without a belt
and when the ship began to sail
it was like a bird with out a tail
and when that bird began to fly
it was like an eagle in the sky
and when the sky began to roar
it was like a lion at my door
and when the door began to crack
it was like a pen knife in my back
and when my back began to bleed...
i was Dead, Dead, Dead Indeed.
2012-10-31 8:03:14 AM  

Yuri Futanari: This ones a little long but I first read it in one of the previous Fark years Halloween threads and really liked it.


Russian researchers in the late 1940s kept five people awake for fifteen days using an experimental gas based stimulant. They were kept in a sealed environment to carefully monitor their oxygen intake so the gas didn't kill them, since it was toxic in high concentrations. This was before closed circuit cameras so they had only microphones and 5 inch thick glass porthole sized windows into the chamber to monitor them. The chamber was stocked with books, cots to sleep on but no bedding, running water and toilet, and enough dried food to last all five for over a month.
The test subjects were political prisoners deemed enemies of the state during World War II.

Everything was fine for the first five days; the subjects hardly complained having been promised (falsely) that they would be freed if they submitted to the test and did not sleep for 30 days. Their conversations and activities were monitored and it was noted that they continued to talk about increasingly traumatic incidents in their past, and the general tone of their conversations took on a darker aspect after the 4 day mark.
After five days they started to complain about the circumstances and events that lead them to where they were and started to demonstrate severe paranoia. They stopped talking to each other and began alternately whispering to the microphones and one way mirrored portholes. Oddly they all seemed to think they could win the trust of the experimenters by turning over their comrades, the other subjects in captivity with them. At first the researchers suspected this was an effect of the gas itself...
After nine days the first of them started screaming. He ran the length of the chamber repeatedly yelling at the top of his lungs for 3 hours straight, he continued attempting to scream but was only able to produce occasional squeaks. The researchers postulated that he had physically torn his vocal cords. The most surprising thing about this behavior is how the other captives reacted to it... or rather didn't react to it. They continued whispering to the microphones until the second of the captives started to scream. The 2 non-screaming captives took the books apart, smeared page after page with their own feces and pasted them calmly over the glass portholes. The screaming promptly stopped.

So did the whispering to the microphones.

After 3 more days passed. The researchers checked the microphones hourly to make sure they were working, since they thought it impossible that no sound could be coming with 5 people inside. The oxygen consumption in the chamber indicated that all 5 must still be alive. In fact it was the amount of oxygen 5 people would consume at a very heavy level of strenuous exercise. On the morning of the 14th day the researchers did something they said they would not do to get a reaction from the captives, they used the intercom inside the chamber, hoping to provoke any response from the captives they were afraid were either dead or vegetables.

They announced: "We are opening the chamber to test the microphones step away from the door and lie flat on the floor or you will be shot. Compliance will earn one of you your immediate freedom."

To their surprise they heard a single phrase in a calm voice response: "We no longer want to be freed."

Debate broke out among the researchers and the military forces funding the research. Unable to provoke any more response using the intercom it was finally decided to open the chamber at midnight on the fifteenth day.

The chamber was flushed of the stimulant gas and filled with fresh air and immediately voices from the microphones began to object. 3 different voices began begging, as if pleading for the life of loved ones to turn the gas back on. The chamber was opened and soldiers sent in to retrieve the test subjects. They began to scream louder than ever, and so did the soldiers when they saw what was inside. Four of the five subjects were still alive, although no one could rightly call the state that any of them in 'life.'

The food rations past day 5 had not been so much as touched. There were chunks of meat from the dead test subject's thighs and chest stuffed into the drain in the center of the chamber, blocking the drain and allowing 4 inches of water to accumulate on the floor. Precisely how much of the water on the floor was actually blood was never determined. All four 'surviving' test subjects also had large portions of muscle and skin torn away from their bodies. The destruction of flesh and exposed bone on their finger tips indicated that the wounds were inflicted by hand, not with teeth as the researchers initially thought. Closer examination of the position and angles of the wounds indicated that most if not all of them were self-inflicted.

The abdominal organs below the ribcage of all four test subjects had been removed. While the heart, lungs and diaphragm remained in place, the skin and most of the muscles attached to the ribs had been ripped off, exposing the lungs through the ribcage. All the blood vessels and organs remained intact, they had just been taken out and laid on the floor, fanning out around the eviscerated but still living bodies of the subjects. The digestive tract of all four could be seen to be working, digesting food. It quickly became apparent that what they were digesting was their own flesh that they had ripped off and eaten over the course of days.

Most of the soldiers were Russian special operatives at the facility, but still many refused to return to the chamber to remove the test subjects. They continued to scream to be left in the chamber and alternately begged and demanded that the gas be turned back on, lest they fall asleep...

To everyone's surprise the test subjects put up a fierce fight in the process of being removed from the chamber. One of the Russian soldiers died from having his throat ripped out, another was gravely injured by having his testicles ripped off and an artery in his leg severed by one of the subject's teeth. Another 5 of the soldiers lost their lives if you count ones that committed suicide in the weeks following the incident.

In the struggle one of the four living subjects had his spleen ruptured and he bled out almost immediately. The medical researchers attempted to sedate him but this proved impossible. He was injected with more than ten times the human dose of a morphine derivative and still fought like a cornered animal, breaking the ribs and arm of one doctor. When heart was seen to beat for a full two minutes after he had bled out to the point there was more air in his vascular system than blood. Even after it stopped he continued to scream and flail for another 3 minutes, struggling to attack anyone in reach and just repeating the word "MORE" over and over, weaker and weaker, until he finally fell silent.

The surviving three test subjects were heavily restrained and moved to a medical facility, the two with intact vocal cords continuously begging for the gas demanding to be kept awake...

The most injured of the three was taken to the only surgical operating room that the facility had. In the process of preparing the subject to have his organs placed back within his body it was found that he was effectively immune to the sedative they had given him to prepare him for the surgery. He fought furiously against his restraints when the anesthetic gas was brought out to put him under. He managed to tear most of the way through a 4 inch wide leather strap on one wrist, even through the weight of a 200 pound soldier holding that wrist as well. It took only a little more anesthetic than normal to put him under, and the instant his eyelids fluttered and closed, his heart stopped. In the autopsy of the test subject that died on the operating table it was found that his blood had triple the normal level of oxygen. His muscles that were still attached to his skeleton were badly torn and he had broken 9 bones in his struggle to not be subdued. Most of them were from the force his own muscles had exerted on them.

The second survivor had been the first of the group of five to start screaming. His vocal cords destroyed he was unable to beg or object to surgery, and he only reacted by shaking his head violently in disapproval when the anesthetic gas was brought near him. He shook his head yes when someone suggested, reluctantly, they try the surgery without anesthetic, and did not react for the entire 6 hour procedure of replacing his abdominal organs and attempting to cover them with what remained of his skin. The surgeon presiding stated repeatedly that it should be medically possible for the patient to still be alive. One terrified nurse assisting the surgery stated that she had seen the patients mouth curl into a smile several times, whenever his eyes met hers.

When the surgery ended the subject looked at the surgeon and began to wheeze loudly, attempting to talk while struggling. Assuming this must be something of drastic importance the surgeon had a pen and pad fetched so the patient could write his message. It was simple. "Keep cutting."

The other two test subjects were given the same surgery, both without anesthetic as well. Although they had to be injected with a paralytic for the duration of the operation. The surgeon found it impossible to perform the operation while the patients laughed continuously. Once paralyzed the subjects could only follow the attending researchers with their eyes. The paralytic cleared their system in an abnormally short period of time and they were soon trying to escape their bonds. The moment they could speak they were again asking for the stimulant gas. The researchers tried asking why they had injured themselves, why they had ripped out their own guts and why they wanted to be given the gas again.

Only one response was given: "I must remain awake."

All three subject's restraints were reinforced and they were placed back into the chamber awaiting determination as to what should be done with them. The researchers, facing the wrath of their military 'benefactors' for having failed the stated goals of their project considered euthanizing the surviving subjects. The commanding officer, an ex-KGB instead saw potential, and wanted to see what would happen if they were put back on the gas. The researchers strongly objected, but were overruled.

In preparation for being sealed in the chamber again the subjects were connected to an EEG monitor and had their restraints padded for long term confinement. To everyone's surprise all three stopped struggling the moment it was let slip that they were going back on the gas. It was obvious that at this point all three were putting up a great struggle to stay awake. One of subjects that could speak was humming loudly and continuously; the mute subject was straining his legs against the leather bonds with all his might, first left, then right, then left again for something to focus on. The remaining subject was holding his head off his pillow and blinking rapidly. Having been the first to be wired for EEG most of the researchers were monitoring his brain waves in surprise. They were normal most of the time but sometimes flat lined inexplicably. It looked as if he were repeatedly suffering brain death, before returning to normal. As they focused on paper scrolling out of the brainwave monitor only one nurse saw his eyes slip shut at the same moment his head hit the pillow. His brainwaves immediately changed to that of deep sleep, then flatlined for the last time as his heart simultaneously stopped.

The only remaining subject that could speak started screaming to be sealed in now. His brainwaves showed the same flatlines as one who had just died from falling asleep. The commander gave the order to seal the chamber with both subjects inside, as well as 3 researchers. One of the named three immediately drew his gun and shot the commander point blank between the eyes, then turned the gun on the mute subject and blew his brains out as well.

He pointed his gun at the remaining subject, still restrained to a bed as the remaining members of the medical and research team fled the room. "I won't be locked in here with these things! Not with you!" he screamed at the man strapped to the table. "WHAT ARE YOU?" he demanded. "I must know!"

The subject smiled.

"Have you forgotten so easily?" The subject asked. "We are you. We are the madness that lurks within you all, begging to be free at every moment in your deepest animal mind. We are what you hide from in your beds every night. We are what you sedate into silence and paralysis when you go to the nocturnal haven where we cannot tread."

The researcher paused. Then aimed at the subject's heart and fired. The EEG flatlined as the subject weakly choked out, "So... nearly... free..."

The medical type creepypasta are my favorites since they're very plausible. I'll see if I can find the one about the guy who had all of his senses shut off and his decent into madness.

/ do we have to bring politics into EVERYTHING?!!
2012-10-31 8:04:11 AM  
While reading these stories I heard a scraping noise on my desk and I turned to look at a gum wrapper that was moving. Then I realized a fan behind me was blowing it.

Ghost stories aren't real.

iron_city_ap: 11 more years till Honey Boo Boo poses for Playboy. The End.

This is truly scary.
2012-10-31 8:05:22 AM  

folk.ntnu.noView Full Size

2012-10-31 8:05:33 AM  
Here's some theme music to play in another tab while reading the thread.  Unsolved Mysteries!!
2012-10-31 8:07:20 AM  
About a year back, my wife, my son and I were visiting an 18th century mud fort (now converted into a hotel) for the weekend. We were accompanied by another couple and were staying in two rooms at the end of the fort. The fort is a vast, sprawling place, and pretty sparsely populated all round; the descendants of the original owners still stay in one side and other than them, all the other rooms were empty. Our room was on the battlements, open on all sides to empty fields. We walked on the battlements after dinner, enjoying the stars in the clear night sky and imagining that we were sentrys patrolling the walls.

Late at night, both my wife and I get up at the same time- maybe it was the atmosphere, but both of us were fairly clear that we were not alone. My son was still asleep (he was only 5). It wasn't particularly scary, but we could definitely sense a presence. After looking at each other, in silence, we lifted the curtain and looked outside; it was pitch black. But then we both heard a sigh, like a man's sigh, when he settles down to sleep. Funnily enough, at that time of night, it wasn't scary; it was as if an invisible sentry outside was settling down for a well-deserved break. However, when we woke up the next morning and remembered what happened the night before, it was a different thing altogether.
2012-10-31 8:09:46 AM  
Yeay!! This is my favorite thread of the year. I have to go do some important morning things like put on pants, but I'll be back. Ready to get spooooooooooky.
2012-10-31 8:09:52 AM  
It was a dark and stormy night in the skies over Ohio. Although the FAA told them not to fly that night, two jets took to the air. One left Cincinnati heading for Akron. It's passengers full of Skyline Chili. The other plane took off from Akron heading for Springfield. These passengers were full of toxic wastes because Akron...

Over Coshocton the two planes collided and fell to earth in a huge singular fireball. The wreckage landed outside the city near the old mental institution where the old and possibly senile Doctor Slappy lived. The doc braved the remnants of Hurricane Sandy and rushed to the wreckage. He managed to drag two living bodies from the wreckage before it was consumed by fire. Taking them to his basement laboratory was easier than taken them to his rooftop laboratory because it was downhill. And drier . Much drier than the rooftop laboratory. There in the basement and not the roof top, Doctor Slappy began his efforts to save the lives of his unexpected patients.

But he quickly surmised a problem. This one's lungs were destroyed and the other one's heart was burned to a cinder. Working quickly because he knew he was racing against time and that "Butterflies are Free" would be on at 1 am and he didn't want to miss a young Goldie Hawn walking around in her underwear, he moved the body parts from one in to another. When it came to the brains, he was lucky, for each had exactly one half of a normal one.

The black helicopters and helicopters that belonged to the Tactical Response Evangelical Mormon B League (TREMBL) arrived post haste but post op. At first, they were upset at the good doctor's work but when they thought about it, they figured it was still better than McCain / Palin. It was a consensus of "What the Hell (black helicopter guys)/Heck (Mormon guys).

The next morning the web and the newspaper (just the one that was left) and the iPhones were a buzz with the news that there would only be one candidate - Rombama. Or maybe Obamney. They were still fighting over the name, of course, and would argue over the name until 20255 when they drunken slid down a garbage chute in to a trash compactor. The Supreme Court met, decided they were all tired and declared a vote for one or the other was a vote for both. Also, it's "less filling". Not "tastes great" . Never ever was "tastes great". Just gotta accept it.

Five percent of the people turned out to vote. A new high record for voter turnout and the monster with two names easily won. American experienced another eight years. Yeah. There was a fight at the four year mark because the heart, face, kidneys, buttocks and peener had already been in the White House for four but again, the Supreme Court decreed that stuff could stick around another four and to stop calling them with every little problem that comes up. Yeesh!

So there was gridlock, deficit spending, pork barrel politicking and tax cuts for the wealthy who agreed to make jobs. They just made them in China and said "You chumps should be more specific. Ha. Ha." In 2021, the monster left Washington D C and worked with inner city kids while receiving a 1100 million dollar 'honorarium' from BP Oil. And since the monster got the working peener, both Ann and Michele were happy. Ann was surprised the first few times it visited the boy chute but she grew and stretched to accommodate it.

The rest of us? Oh, we got screwed seven times blue. And no kisses.

Happy Halloween!
2012-10-31 8:15:12 AM  
Here, Farkers. Enjoy. Happy Halloween!

The Erlking scared the royal fark out of me when I was a child. Still does. One of the best scary stories EVAR!

"...Oh Father, tighten your hold! The Erlking has caught me! His fingers are cold!"

/hold me
2012-10-31 8:19:08 AM  
...and then.. only seven days after Halloween...


i.imgur.comView Full Size

i.imgur.comView Full Size

i.imgur.comView Full Size
2012-10-31 8:19:27 AM  
This apparently real tale has bugged me since I heard it.

Train Crash Victim's Cell Phone Make Calls
2012-10-31 8:21:48 AM  
True story:

Back in May the wife and I decide to take a long weekend and go to Florida for a little R&R. She found this really nice looking hotel that was older (built in the late 1800's or early 1900's, but it looked elegant and got good reviews so we booked it.

The first night there I went for ice around midnight and half way down the hall I heard what sounded like a muffled scream. I didn't think much of it, just thought someone was being overly enthusiastic on the rented bed. When I got back to the room, however, my wife was very creeped out. She hadn't heard the scream, but was dozing and she just got a really creepy feeling. I calmed her and went to bed for the night.

The next night, again around midnight, I was fast asleep when she woke me, once again freaked out. The first thing I noticed was that the room had gotten unusually cold and the AC was off. She told me that she had woken to see what looked like a woman in the room that had quickly darted into the shadows. She was so spooked that all the lights in the room were left on for the rest of the night.

The next morning we went down to the sea wall to do a little fishing. As we were sitting there another couple came and sat at a nearby bench and struck up a conversation. They asked where we were staying and looked shocked when I told them. "Did you do any research before you booked??? Or are you there for the ghost tour?"
2012-10-31 8:22:59 AM  
Cry Baby Bridge

If your from Ohio, you know this one

4.bp.blogspot.comView Full Size
2012-10-31 8:27:38 AM  
A former girlfriend was staying over for the weekend at the house I rented the third floor of.

We had a great time, as usual, and went to bed after watching some TV.

Around 3AM she awoke to me sitting straight up in bed and talking to figures she couldn't see.

Evidently I sat there, and calmly explained to two children that unfortunately, they've died, and were lost until they could figure out their way. I told them how sorry I was that they'd passed, and explained who the woman was beside me, and why we were without clothes.

She says the whole event took more than fifteen minutes. The whole time I was sitting up, eyes open, looking at the foot of the bed.

She says it ended with me saying, 'Goodbye, I hope you find your way' and then I lay back down and cuddled her.
2012-10-31 8:28:11 AM  

Star Wars 7 from DISNEY!

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.comView Full Size

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.comView Full Size
2012-10-31 8:32:50 AM  
Harry Freakstorm


Star Wars 7 from DISNEY!

Coming soon! Disney's Star Wars on Ice! Can Princess Leia save her magical Hoth Ice kingdom from the mean and mysterious snow beasts on skates? She'll have to use the force of niceness to overcome their meanie dark sides!

3x "Nooooo!"
2012-10-31 8:33:51 AM  
My own csb:

As a single man, I lived in an old apartment block in central Edniburgh, Scotland. I lived there 10 years and only twice did something weird happen to me. Freaked me out.

1) I was sitting watching TV and a half empty soda bottle, a 2 liter, sitting on the worktop behind me, falls over. As if that wasn't scary enough, 2 other bottles in a different part of my kitchen, in succession, do the same thing. No tremors, no shaking, place was quiet and still. I literally did not know what to do other than stare for a moment and then turn around and pretend like it never happened.

2) Just a few months before I left which would be late 2000, I woke up one Sunday morning to find my bed was at an angle. My head was 18 inches above me feet. The bed sank, rose and then very slowly sank again back to the floor. I lay there looking at myself in the mirrored closet, wondering if I imagined the whole thing. I don't believe I did.
2012-10-31 8:34:52 AM  
Found it.

In 1983, a team of deeply pious scientists conducted a radical experiment in an undisclosed facility. The scientists had theorized that a human without access to any senses or ways to perceive stimuli would be able to perceive the presence of God. They believed that the five senses clouded our awareness of eternity, and without them, a human could actually establish contact with God by thought.

An elderly man who claimed to have "nothing to left to live for" was the only test subject to volunteer. To purge him of all his senses, the scientists performed a complex operation in which every sensory nerve connection to the brain was surgically severed. Although the test subject retained full muscular function, he could not see, hear, taste, smell, or feel. With no possible way to communicate with or even sense the outside world, he was alone with his thoughts.Scientists monitored him as he spoke aloud about his state of mind in jumbled, slurred sentences that he couldn't even hear.

After four days, the man claimed to be hearing hushed, unintelligible voices in his head. Assuming it was an onset of psychosis, the scientists paid little attention to the man's concerns.Two days later, the man cried that he could hear his dead wife speaking with him, and even more, he could communicate back. The scientists were intrigued, but were not convinced until the subject started naming dead relatives of the scientists. He repeated personal information to the scientists that only their dead spouses and parents would have known. At this point, a sizable portion of scientists left the study.After a week of conversing with the deceased through his thoughts, the subject became distressed, saying the voices were overwhelming. In every waking moment, his consciousness was bombarded by hundreds of voices that refused to leave him alone. He frequently threw himself against the wall, trying to elicit a pain response. He begged the scientists for sedatives, so he could escape the voices by sleeping. This tactic worked for three days, until he started having severe night terrors. The subject repeatedly said that he could see and hear the deceased in his dreams.

Only a day later, the subject began to scream and claw at his nonfunctional eyes, hoping to sense something in the physical world. The hysterical subject now said the voices of the dead were deafening and hostile, speaking of hell and the end of the world. At one point, he yelled "No heaven, no forgiveness" for five hours straight. He continually begged to be killed, but the scientists were convinced that he was close to establishing contact with God.After another day, the subject could no longer form coherent sentences. Seemingly mad, he started to bite off chunks of flesh from his arm. The scientists rushed into the test chamber and restrained him to a table so he could not kill himself. After a few hours of being tied down, the subject halted his struggling and screaming. He stared blankly at the ceiling as teardrops silently streaked across his face. For two weeks, the subject had to be manually rehydrated due to the constant crying. Eventually, he turned his head and, despite his blindness, made focused eye contact with a scientist for the first time in the study.

He whispered "I have spoken with God, and he has abandoned us" and his vital signs stopped. There was no apparent cause of death.
2012-10-31 8:35:23 AM  


I was driving a shortcut from Twentynine Palms, CA to Albuquerque, NM. Twentynine Palms is located in the desolate high desert east of LA. The shortcut was all two lane road through total nothingness, except for passing through Amboy, CA. Amboy is a nearly abandoned town nearly as far below sea level as Death Valley, with a dormant volcano and lava field on one side and a salt flat on the other. It was also, at the time, a hotspot for satanic group activity.

Drove that in 92. You are not kidding. Weird place.
2012-10-31 8:38:39 AM  
This is something that is easier for me to write about that talk about. Probably the only thing that kept me from going completely batshiat insane is that it was nothing supernatural and my mind could eventually process it. It was Halloween and I was ten I think. My parents got invited to a party and the baby sitter they would usually hire couldn't make it for some reason and my big brother was at another Halloween party with his friends. I assured them that I was a "big boy" so that they would trust me to be fine by myself. I was just hoping to have the place to myself so that I could watch a bunch of R-rated horror movies on HBO that night. They were going to be showing The Shining which I had never seen before. Also the first Friday the 13th but I can't remember what else. Anyway, it was halfway through Friday the 13th when the phone rang. Knowing it was my parents checking up on me, I answered it. The only thing on the other end was somebody laughing and then they hung up. Thinking it was probably one of my friends I tried to ignore it and got back to the movie. About an hour into The Shining, I was so into the movie I forgot all about the phone call and was just enjoying it. Then the phone rang again. I answered it. There was a voice in a little sing-song voice saying "little boy, all alone". Obviously by this point I was freaked the fark out. Now something I need to point out that the house I was living in at the time didn't have solid doors. They had glass panes so that anybosy standing outside could look in. And with the lights on inside and everything dark outside, I saw more of a reflection in the glass panes than the outside. And by this time I was so freaked out, turning the lights off was the last thing I wanted to do. I got a phone book and tried looking up the people who was having the party my parents were at. Out of the corner of my eye, I could swear I saw something move past the window going up. Again, with the lights on inside, it made it harder to see what was going on outside. I found what I thought was the right number and picked up the phone and started dialing it. But then I heard somebody else dialing numbers at the same time so that the call couildn't go through. The only other phone was upstairs. Each time, I tried dialing the number, the person on the other phone would push random numbers as well. It was probably at this point that I peed myself. Too scared to run outside, I ran to the kitchen to grab a knife. Then I heard loud footsteps from upstairs. Keep in mind that I was only ten. I was too scared to move. I pissed myself and all I could do was start crying. I heard the footsteps over me, then reaching the stairs, then down the stairs and then through the living room into the kitchen behind me. All I could do was pray to God that it was my brother and his friends scaring me. But then the person through me to the ground and held me there, pinned. He didnt say anything at first. I could feel his hot, stinky breath on the back of my neck. Then he flipped me over. It was Bill Murray. He said "nobody will ever believe you". Then he jumped out the window and ran off. I still can't watch What About Bob without thinking of that night.
2012-10-31 8:47:24 AM  
Just go with the master, and read some of his stories...

TRUE! --nervous --very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses --not destroyed --not dulled them. Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell. How, then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily --how calmly I can tell you the whole story.

upload.wikimedia.orgView Full Size
2012-10-31 8:48:30 AM  
When is the whore-o-ween thread starting?
2012-10-31 8:49:59 AM  

Shadow Blasko: /That one is not aging well.

Why yes, this does rock, and I am old. Why do you ask?
2012-10-31 8:52:59 AM  
When I was young, maybe 9 or 10, I remember walking into my grandparent's guest bedroom and seeing a face just sort of in the air. It was an old native man, he had some kind of head band, or head wear on, and he was moving his mouth but no sound was coming out. I just turned around and ran the fark into the living room. I never saw the face again, and nothing weird ever happened again.

But soon after that we started finding the old arrowheads, and the random artifacts when doing yard work. Some people from the university came out, and I guess the land they owned used to be the site of an old settlement for whatever tribe lived in the area hundreds of years beforehand.
2012-10-31 8:54:19 AM  
I wrote a short horror story that's available for free here or can be found for free in the iBookstore under the title No Strings Attached.

The cover art blows, but I wanted to get it out by a specific date and my cover artist didn't respond to me in time. So it goes.
2012-10-31 8:54:58 AM  

echo5juliet: sethen320: I feel like an idiot for asking, but...this wasn't made up?

Nope. Every word is the God's honest truth. The scariest moment in my life. At least until the time the jet engines quit during a Delta takeoff out of Philly airport or the time I was in Taipei during the earthquake in 1995.

That is what made it scary, it really happened..

Did you call the police?
2012-10-31 8:55:15 AM  

gunga galunga: This is something that is easier for me to write about that talk about. Probably the only thing that kept me from going completely batshiat insane is that it was nothing supernatural and my mind could eventually process it. It was Halloween and I was ten I think. My parents got invited to a party and the baby sitter they would usually hire couldn't make it for some reason and my big brother was at another Halloween party with his friends. I assured them that I was a "big boy" so that they would trust me to be fine by myself. I was just hoping to have the place to myself so that I could watch a bunch of R-rated horror movies on HBO that night. They were going to be showing The Shining which I had never seen before. Also the first Friday the 13th but I can't remember what else. Anyway, it was halfway through Friday the 13th when the phone rang. Knowing it was my parents checking up on me, I answered it. The only thing on the other end was somebody laughing and then they hung up. Thinking it was probably one of my friends I tried to ignore it and got back to the movie. About an hour into The Shining, I was so into the movie I forgot all about the phone call and was just enjoying it. Then the phone rang again. I answered it. There was a voice in a little sing-song voice saying "little boy, all alone". Obviously by this point I was freaked the fark out. Now something I need to point out that the house I was living in at the time didn't have solid doors. They had glass panes so that anybosy standing outside could look in. And with the lights on inside and everything dark outside, I saw more of a reflection in the glass panes than the outside. And by this time I was so freaked out, turning the lights off was the last thing I wanted to do. I got a phone book and tried looking up the people who was having the party my parents were at. Out of the corner of my eye, I could swear I saw something move past the window going up. Again, with the lights on inside, it made it harder ...

Well played, you rotten bastard.
2012-10-31 8:57:55 AM  

7th Son of a 7th Son: RomneyObama is elected. That should scare the bejesus out of some people.

FTFM. It's a scary season, for the whole country. Each is scared of the other half.
2012-10-31 8:59:52 AM  
I just woke up, sat down, and started reading some of these while having coffee. My knee is bouncing up and down as many a nervous twitch, and my 70 year old office chair all of a sudden has many new squeaks in it today. At some point, I stopped and pulled up my voice memo app because the chair almost had a voice. No joke
I took the antique chair from my parents when I left home 15 years ago.
2012-10-31 9:01:51 AM  
Ok. Even more crazy is it just stopped making any squeaks at all after I posted that. Why today? Strange
2012-10-31 9:05:04 AM  
2012-10-31 9:06:25 AM  
Mine's pretty lame compared to most others here, but it's only thing that's ever happened to me that I really can't explain.

My reserve unit, a USMC tank company, was activated and sent to the first Gulf War in 1991. We ended up rolling through the town of al-Kafji about a week after a major battle had taken place there, and the civilians were still evacuated, and tons of people's belongings were scattered in the street after their homes had been looted by Iraqi soldiers. I found this little glass, about the size of a shot glass, but shaped like a beer mug, with a little handle and everything. It was pretty thick glass, and I wouldn't describe it as delicate at all. So I pocketed it and took it home.

Fast forward about three years, and I'm living in a converted garage in Burbank Ca. I had one of those classic little brown dorm refrigerators that doubled as my nightstand, about two feet tall, tops. One morning I was startled awake by the sound of glass breaking right near my head, and I found the remains of the little mug, which had been sitting on top of the fridge, shattered on the carpeted floor. The glass was way too thick to have shattered like that from falling two feet onto the carpet; it looked and sounded like someone had picked it up and spiked it like a football.

I know ghosts don't like people stealing their shiat, but to haunt me halfway around the world over a little shot glass shaped like a beer mug? Imagine!

Another odd thing that happened in al-Kafji: I saw a deck of cards scattered in the street, and for no reason whatsoever, I zeroed in on one card that was facing down and thought "Ace of spades", picked it up, and sure enough, the ace of spades. I still have it.

Also, having gone through radio school at 29 Stumps in 1987/88, I don't doubt echo5juliet's Amboy story for a second. We were strongly advised not to go that way to get to the I-40, even though that meant going all the way down to the I-10 and up the I-15, a few hours out of the way at least. We were told that remnants of the Manson family lived around there.
2012-10-31 9:08:14 AM  
Screw the scary story thread... where's the Slut-O-Ween thread? Someone main page one of those!
2012-10-31 9:09:08 AM  

Commander Cyclops: I zeroed in on one card that was facing down and thought "Ace of spades", picked it up, and sure enough, the ace of spades. I still have it.

2012-10-31 9:09:47 AM  
If you ever go back into Wooley Swamp,
You better not go at night.
There's things out there in the middle of them woods
That make a strong man die from fright.
Things that crawl and things that fly
And things that creep around on the ground.
And they say the ghost of Lucius Clay gets up and he walks around.

The old man lived in the Wooley Swamp way back in Booger Woods.
He never did do a lot of harm in the world,
But he never did do no good
People didn't think too much of him
They all thought he acted funny
The old man didn't care about people anyway
All he cared about was his money.
He'd stuff it all down in mason jars
And he'd bury it all around
And on certain nights
If the moon was right
H e'd dig it up out of the ground.
He'd pour it all out on the floor of his shack
And run his fingers through it.
Yeah, Lucius Clay was a greedy old man
And that's all that there was to it.

The Gable boys was white trash
They lived over on Carver's Creek.
They were mean as a snake
And sneaky as a cat
And belligerent when they'd speak.
One night the oldest brother said,
"Y'all meet me at the Wooley Swamp later
We'll take old Lucius's money
and we'll feed him to the alligators."

They found the old man out in the back
With a shovel in his hand,
Thirteen rusty mason jars
was just dug up out of the sand.
And they all went crazy
And they beat the old man,
And they picked him up off of the ground.
Threw him in the swamp
And stood there and laughed
As the black water sucked him down.

Then they turned around
And went back to the shack
And picked up the money and ran.
They hadn't gone nowhere
When they realized
They were running in quicksand.
And they struggled and they screamed
But they couldn't get away
And just before they went under
They could hear that old man laughing
In a voice as loud as thunder.

And that's been fifty years ago
And you can go by there yet.
There's a spot in the yard
In the back of that shack
Where the ground is always wet.
And on summer nights
If the moon is right
Down by the that dark footpath,
You can hear three young men screaming.
You can hear one old man laugh.

/true story
2012-10-31 9:15:17 AM  
2 Stories. One from my mom, one from me

Mom told me this one, dont know how true, but she swears by it:

When I was little, maybe 3 or 4, she was on the run from my dad because he was abusive. She didnt have a lot of money and wanted to keep low key, so we moved around a lot. One of the places we stayed was a barn that was converted into a house type thing. wood heat, no running water.

The first night there, we dont really have furniture or anything, just whats in the barn which consisted of a wood stove, rocking chair, and a table. My mom used a couple of garbage bags to make a bed from me and pulled out a blanket to cover me up.

The next morning, she woke up to find an additional blanket on me. She says she didnt really recognize the blanket, but it could have been one of ours. Fact is though, she didnt put the second one on. When she asked about it, I told her I was cold, grandpa gave it to me.

Later that night, she was cooking dinner and she heard me talking, and it sounded like I was having a conversation. When she looked into the room I was in, She said it looked like I was walking hand-in-hand with someone, walked to the chair, and then stood in front of it while it started rocking.

She started to get a little freaked at this point. That night, she said she had a dream about an old man, telling her to wake up. It was time to go. She said he shook her to wake her up in the dream, and when she awoke, she was freaked out enough to grab me and leave the house.

So, we walk nextdoor to the guys house who owns it, and my mom tells the guy about what happened, and he says "ya, thats grandpa, he likes to hang out there from time to time". MEANWHILE, we see a car pull up to the barn (theres about 100 yrds separating the barn from the house). It was my dad, looking for my mom. Had she not been woken up, he may have found us...

(Dad was later sent to prison)

My Story:
I lived in a house when I was 12 years old that the previous owners were murdered by their son. They had the same last name as my mom and step-dad, and the dad had the same first name as my step-dad. That, in itself, is a little creepy.

So, my friends never wanted to come over, but I eventually convinced one that nothing ever weird happened there. It was like 4am, and we were both sound asleep after playing like, 5 straight hours of video games.

We were sleeping on the floor in front of my TV when out of no where, we both sat up, and started talking about how it was time to go to bed, we should turn off the games for the night, mind you TV was off. When we realized the TV was off, we both kinda looked at each other weird and were like... uhh weird. Right at that moment, we heard 2 loud thuds on the porch outside my bedroom window, and our dogs went absolutely ballistic.

We both shot up and went for my door. Occasionally, my knob wouldnt turn, so you had to jiggle it a little before it would. In our panic, neither of us could turn it, and we were stuck in the room screaming. My mom came running down and opened the door and let us out.

My guess is that it was just a random occurence of events, but it freaked us the hell out, and he wouldnt ever stay at my house again.
2012-10-31 9:15:32 AM  
The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door.

-Frederic Brown
2012-10-31 9:20:13 AM  
cdnimg.visualizeus.comView Full Size

Not a scary story but this picture has always freaked me the hell out.
2012-10-31 9:21:46 AM  
Mamaw couldn't live by herself anymore so she moved in with my aunt. Mamaw's house was in SE Kentucky, my aunt's house was in SE Indiana. A few years go by and Mamaw died in my aunt's house, right in the living room about lunch time. That night my cousin freaked right the fark right out. Like freaked out enough to go to the emergency room with a panic attack. She said that she could hear Mamaw packing her stuff. We thought it was just her being overly emotional and wrote it off as emotional overload. At the funeral in SE Kentucky, we stayed in the house that Mamaw and Papaw had lived in forever. It had been closed up for a couple of years, but the electric and heating/cooling was left on so it wasn't in too bad of shape, just a little musty smell. The night of the visitation, another cousin and I left the church early to go to that house, get something to eat and crash. Another relative and her husband were getting ready to go to the church and warned us to keep the doors locked and watch out for people who might break in and steal stuff. My cousin and I laughed at them. We ate dinner and cleaned up the kitchen then went to bed. The house was old and designed funny, you had to walk through bedrooms to get to other bedrooms. My cousin took the couch in the living room by the front door and I took the first bedroom. The kitchen was to his back and it was on my right. I had to go through Mamaw and Papaw's bedroom to get to the living room. Five minutes after we turned off the lights, it was clear someone was in the kitchen. Refrigerator door opening, shuffling footsteps, silverware drawer opening and closing, aluminum foil crinkling. I called out to my cousin asking what he was doing eating again so soon. He immediately responded with urgency in his voice that it wasn't him and he thought it was me. I dashed out of bed and made it to the living room light switch 20 feet away in about three jumps. I never saw anything, just heard the commotion in the kitchen. Growing up visiting, Mamaw was always the last one to go to bed. She would always be fiddling around in the kitchen doing something. After my experience, I believe Mamaw did pack her "stuff" in Indiana and returned home to Kentucky and tidied the kitchen one more time. Her funeral was the next day. The house was torn down and replaced and I haven't heard of anything else happening.
2012-10-31 9:22:42 AM  
Christ, those are some scary stories. I'll share mine. I was 17 or so and had the house to myself. Most of my family was at my aunt's home, other than my brother who was 19 and camping with his friends. I was not a social kid and had always hated big parties so I just chose to hang out with my dog and watch some movies. Long story short, I hear my front door slam and some feet run up the stairs. I was seated where I could just barely not see the front door. The way they came in I figured it had to have been my brother came home early, (what kind of robber would bust in like that?) I called for him but got no response (this was before people had cell phones attached to them 24/7)

So I got a bit more worried and went to the kitchen in the next room over and grabbed a knife. Walked towards the hallway leading to the front door and thought better of it, and put the knife down on a table and picked up a baseball bat that my dad always left behind the front door (I didn't want to accidentally get freaked out and stab a sibling, but if they scared me bad enough to get whacked with a bat, that was their fault.)

I walked up the stairs, called out for my brother again and still got no response. I heard even more noise coming from his room, which solidified in my mind that it was him, but freaked me out even more as he was still not responding to me. He was into drugs back then, so I figured he was quickly trying to sneak something out before parents came home. "Hey, Mum and Dad are gone for the weekend, don't worry." and I swear I heard a voice call back "Oh?" It was quiet enough that I wasn't sure it was even said, or who said it, but it could have been him.

I walk into his room and a lamp is on, but he is not there. No one is there. I search every room upstairs and no one is there. The way the house is set up he would have had to have walked past me or behind me at some point, the stairs I went up were the only set of stairs. I walk back downstairs and see the front door is locked and I can't remember if I had locked it or not when going up. I start to doubt myself, perhaps I had been dreaming and woken up right when I thought the door had slammed. My dog didn't bark, he would have surely barked. I breathed a sigh of relief and walked back to the kitchen/t.v room and noticed my dog was terrified and shaking, the back door was wide open. I ran back to where I put the knife down and it was gone. I locked the door, grabbed my dog and huddled into a corner with the bat. After awhile I got up to call the cops, but the phone was off the charger, I hit the little "locate" button and it started beeping from upstairs, there wasn't a chance in hell I was going to go up and get it.
2012-10-31 9:25:55 AM  
No one has posted the Fishy story? That one still gives me the creeps.


I have always found that this story gives me the chills, originally posted in 2005 I think.

Original post by Quexy:

Psychosis or ghost story, I don't know.

When I was little, probably about four or five years old, I had an imaginary "friend" (I think.) It was yellow and about four feet tall (taller than me at the time), bipedal, and had oversized eyes that always looked straight ahead otherwise, relatively human and naked. I called the thing "Fishy." The wierdest thing, though, was it scared the hell out of me. I didn't want anything to do with it, and I couldn't imagine, as a child, that it was coming from inside my head.

It "walked" (more like skated along) on the walls in the rooms of our house, and apparently could not leave those surfaces. I knew that if I played outside, it could only follow me to the limits of the garage. It always followed me, too, even though I often told it not to. I had difficulty concentrating on drawing things or reading because Fishy was always standing somewhere on the wall, looking over my shoulder. It did not ever sit down, it didn't have facial expressions, and it never made any noise.

The only times I ever interacted with Fishy were when I was sick in the middle of the night or when I woke up panicked from nightmares. Those times, if I looked at it intently, Fishy would methodically start drifting along the wall towards my parents' bedroom; around the corner, out the door, and down the hall. As soon as he was out of sight, I'd start calling for Mom (as in: "Mooooom, I'm gonna barrrrrf...") and she'd show up quickly (god bless ya, mom) to help me through it. Fishy would come back, though, as soon as I'd recovered. Then it would stare for the rest of the night, two days, or longer, in the direction of my parents' room.

It finally vanished when my sister was born in 1992. I was almost 8 years old by then, and I'd been ignoring Fishy for about a year, but not so much that I didn't notice it had learned to fly off the wall and visit the floor from time to time.

There was one instance, in the last two months of Fishy-ness when I saw it at someone else's house; a new home that friends of mine, two sisters, were moving into. Their father walked into the room where we were playing with the moving boxes to give us another one, and in the darkened laundry room behind him, filling the entire doorway at many times it's normal size, was Fishy, staring down the father's back. It wasn't scary, so much as irritating.

We moved away from there less than a year later.
2012-10-31 9:31:18 AM  
There's not much to this story, but I suspect some of you will identify with it.
When I first got married, we moved into a basic townhouse in a quiet neighborhood. Over time, we met several of the neighbors, and became friendly with them in the typical, "Hey, how's it going?" kind of way.
They'd invite us for the occasional BBQ and such, which we'd attend, but whenever we extended a similar invitation, we'd get non-committal responses and none of them would show up. I never wanted to press the issue, but it became clear that none of them wanted to set foot in our home.
As we settled into the home, I began to notice something odd. Once you've lived in a place for a while, you can usually sense if someone else is in your house. Even if you can't hear them, there tends to be a feeling when someone else is home.
In this particular townhouse, that feeling was always there. I would be in the living room, and have the certain feeling that someone was upstairs. Or, if I were walking downstairs, I'd realize that I expected to see someone standing at the bottom, looking up at me. Of course, I would never see anyone actually there, but the feeling was always there.
It was strongest in the basement. A basic, unfinished cement basement, nothing particularly creepy about it. But I could never shake the feeling that there was someone standing in one particular corner, just out of sight. I even caught myself changing the way I walked in the basement. I realized I was making sure that my back was never turned to that corner, even if I couldn't put my finger on why.
I thought it was just me at first, until my son, who was about 3 at the time, followed me into the basement while I was doing laundry. He was playing with a ball, and while I emptied the dryer, I saw it slip away from him and roll into that corner. The basement was fairly well lit, and we could both see the ball, just sitting there. He took a few steps toward the ball, then stopped, and walked back to me.
"Get my ball," he said. I told him that I was busy, and he could get the ball himself. He just shook his head. "I can't," he told me. It wasn't his cranky, stubborn voice, the voice he used when he was feeling bratty. He was scared, plain and simple. I asked him why he couldn't, and he just shook his head again, and ran upstairs.
In the time that we lived there, I would sometimes take people down in the basement and try a little experiment. I wouldn't tell them about my weird feeling in advance; I'd just take them down and say one thing.
"Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, can you point and tell me if there is any part of this room that gives you a strange feeling?"
I tried this at least half a dozen times. Without fail, everyone of them would point to the exact same corner of the basement.
2012-10-31 9:31:30 AM  
One of the few times I've ever been spooked: I was getting ready for work one morning and had the TV going in the bedroom while I was putting on makeup in the bathroom. A news story comes on about a young woman who was found murdered the day before. There was no purse or ID on the poor thing, but she had some rings on her fingers that were distinctive. The camera focuses on the rings as I poke my head out of the bathroom to look. At one glance, I said out loud "It's Jill.". I immediately thought "Why did I just say that out loud?", and then realized that the only Jill I knew was a neighbor and I had seen her just last night - well after they had found the body. I just shook my head at myself and went about my day without thinking about it again.

When I got home from work, I turned on the news, as I usually do. Lead story: The murdered young woman has been identified. Her name is Jill ..........

You know how people say their knees just give way when they get a shock? Yeah, I did that.
2012-10-31 9:34:56 AM  
Last year, on 4/11/2011, a couple of days before my birthday (which has fallen on 4/13 for 33 years now), I was sitting at my desk here at work talking with some coworkers about the history of the land our business sits on. Our land is right next to a busy expressway which, in the mid-late 1950s, was the location of a black cemetery that stretched from across the highway at an angle all the way to just behind our building where part of the cemetery still remains (approximately 1/4 mile).

You see, this town was very racially divided back then and the whites had their burial part of town, as did the blacks and other minorities. I've been here for about 8 years and never knew the cemetery existed behind us. Turns out that, when the expressway was built, construction crews came in the middle of the night and bulldozed the graves of those poor souls in order to build the expressway. The families of those deceased were told that the bodies were moved to another cemetery here in town, but they weren't.

Because I had never known of the cemetery on the hill behind us, I wanted to go up there to take a peek at it, just to satisfy my curiosity. I saw a few gravesites and headstones there mostly from the mid-late 70s. Apparently the church with the graveyard still owned the land on this side of the expressway and continued to bury their dead there even after the road was built. I came across one grave of Cora Lee Perry, but could only make out her name - the rest was weathered and covered with overgrowth. I came back to work, sat at my desk, and started doing a little research about the history of our town. I came across a photo of a very familiar gravestone, that of Ms. Cora Lee Perry and thought that was a little strange, so I researched a little more.

Turns out, in 1978, the Blue Oyster Cult was scheduled to play a concert in town. Their equipment truck driver came from a show in Arkansas, which was a 2-day drive, but he had to make it in time to setup for the show. One morning in April, the driver, Joel Barry Fields, came across the Chattahoochee River, crossed lanes into oncoming traffic, and smashed into a car sending them both off the Oglethorpe bridge, killing both the truck driver, and Ms. Cora Lee Perry, a school teacher from Phenix City, AL. It was a horrible accident and equipment was being fished out of the river for weeks after.

angelfire.comView Full Size

angelfire.comView Full Size

The date of this tragedy? 4/11/1978
The date I came across Ms. Cora Lee Perry's grave? 4/11/2011 

angelfire.comView Full Size

Actual newspaper headline.
Displayed 50 of 553 comments

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | » | Newest | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking

On Twitter

  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.