Do you have adblock enabled?
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Yahoo)   Consumers distrust AOL more than Microsoft   ( divider line
    More: Amusing  
•       •       •

1339 clicks; posted to Main » on 24 Aug 2001 at 7:44 AM (16 years ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

65 Comments     (+0 »)

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

2001-08-24 07:57:49 AM  
I can you go wrong with a company that gives free disks with every Happy Meal?
2001-08-24 07:59:53 AM  
please, people, get a real ISP.
2001-08-24 08:02:52 AM  
2001-08-24 08:02:54 AM  
Shouldn't that be "obvious"?
2001-08-24 08:03:24 AM  
Reavil beat me to it
2001-08-24 08:06:06 AM  
hey now... I'm an AOL graduate :)

AT&T@home cable ISP now... it's a little better
2001-08-24 08:11:17 AM  
most of us could tell by your name.
2001-08-24 08:11:20 AM  
it's not just AOL, it's Time Warner. They own practically everything.
2001-08-24 08:12:56 AM  
Who bought who again?
2001-08-24 08:13:01 AM  
The percentage of trust/distrust were both pretty simmilar low percentages. Phone survey probably means they called a bunch of old people during they day (who else would participate when everyone else is at work?) and they were like "Interwhat?".

99% of sysadmins don't trust their users, the other 1% learns the hard way.
2001-08-24 08:17:07 AM  
Grimace, 99% of sysadmins would not allow their users to ever touch a computer again, the other 1% dream of shooting their users.
2001-08-24 08:23:48 AM  
AOL lays off 1200 employees to help cut back because of the recession that we are in. Hopefully that means that they will spend less in their distribution of FREE AOL CDs!!!! I would be pissed to be an AOL employee that just got fired, sent home, and find a new AOL CD in my mail!!! shiat, they probably hand you one when you receive your pink slip!!!!
2001-08-24 08:25:30 AM  
Aol gives them 3000 hours free when they fire people.
2001-08-24 08:26:27 AM  
Is that class action suit against AOL overcharging people still happening?
2001-08-24 08:26:43 AM

AOL's new advertising drive
2001-08-24 08:27:03 AM  
SFOTW: Ssssshhhhh! That's supposed to be a secret <Ren from Ren & Stimpy> YOU IDIOT! </Ren from Ren & Stimpy>
2001-08-24 08:30:29 AM  
Daah, sorry Ren
2001-08-24 08:34:32 AM  
Mme Mersault,
even better, wipe your ass with the cd, then return it to them.
2001-08-24 08:39:28 AM  
SFOTW - Hey, there are plenty of people who will pay for that kinda stuff, don't give it away.
2001-08-24 08:45:38 AM  
I can see it now, japanese Aol disk poop fetish videos.
2001-08-24 08:48:56 AM  
I just love how subjects change ever so subtly on Fark...
2001-08-24 08:49:35 AM  
Anyway, there's probably a market for those CD's...
2001-08-24 08:51:14 AM  
Maybe this will cause Msoft to start delivering Windows cd's to everyone.
2001-08-24 09:06:50 AM  
Drew: could you remove that long Fark banner...
2001-08-24 09:07:20 AM  
My most favorite thing to do at work is go fix the computer of the dumbass who loaded an AOL CD in a WORK computer and then wonders why the network won't connect and wonders why they are in trouble with me. I love suspending their user priviledges for two weeks.
I have almost got the boss convinced it should be grounds for immediate termination of employment.
2001-08-24 09:07:32 AM  
Yawn.. this the the type of boring FUD crap I expect on /. not fark.
2001-08-24 09:08:07 AM  
Anybody get their last AOL CD in a metal tin?
2001-08-24 09:12:29 AM  
I think if Drew wants to completely avoid the possibility of being sued, he should change that banner to read "S.O.L." instead of AOL.
2001-08-24 09:14:14 AM  
FUD- Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

nope, none of that here.
just plain slinging shiat.
2001-08-24 09:16:50 AM  
Little story here. Was farking away the other night when my baby sis in Alabama IMs me ( I use have MSN Messenger, but use Quest for my ISP), says my niece has a project for school and that she can't find a .gif of the presidential seal or the US flag. She'd been trying for half an hour. AOL is her ISP. I found both for her in 30 seconds. Pretty shatty service when you can't even find something that farking simple using their browser. One of the things I hate most about AOL is that their browser SUX. There are some sites that AOL won't allow you access to. It pisses me off that an ISP takes it upon themselves to decide what sites I can or cannot access. Fark AOL.
2001-08-24 09:17:49 AM  
Long ago I used to be an OEM PC builder, we made sure there was no AOL on the systems. Customers were told if they installed AOL, they would have to assume any costs involved in formating the HDD after AOL facks up their registery.

We had my entire office door covered with the discs, it only took 2 months, we I had taken a picture of that.
2001-08-24 09:20:15 AM  
Oh ya...I use cable to....get 1.3 - 1.5 MBPS down constantly for 30 bucks a month!

I'm not telling who I use because I want to continue enjoying this bandwidth....Muhahahahahahaha!
2001-08-24 09:24:40 AM  
"too" - as well , also
2001-08-24 09:33:01 AM  
I guess it just goes to show people trust incompetence (AOL) less than malice (MS).
2001-08-24 09:36:08 AM  

2001-08-24 09:39:14 AM  
Mme Mersault: I have to say that your description of the pig's head plan made me wet myself. You are one of the funniest people I've heard/read.

Sorry, SFTOW, but I think the pig's head plan is a little more elegant and subtle. Plus, it evokes images of the horses head scene from Francis Ford Coppola's epic "The Godfather." Extra points for that.
2001-08-24 09:40:47 AM  
So let's see companies buying other companies:
AOL Time-Warner owns (starting small)

Netscape - decent browser until they farked it up

ICQ - ten times better than AIM but never promoted
once motherload bought it.

Time-Warner means they own Warner Bros. (Bugs Bunny too)

DC Comics - Not Superman and Batman too!

Turner - TBS, TNT, TNN, Cartoon Network, WB, CNN, yep all owned by AOL in the end

HBO CineMax- owned by AOL-TW ack

New Line Cinema - strange isn't it, New Line and Warner Bros.

Time Warner Cable I know kind of obvious, but they own large portions of the cable providing industry

Time People Sports Illustrated Fortune The infamous magazines, wonder why there's all those AOL CDs in there?

Time Warner Music Group Atlantic Records - As if every other form of media wasn't enough, they own the record companies too

Check it out for yourself at
I don't know about you guys, but I think they own a little too much of the media
2001-08-24 09:40:51 AM  
2001-08-24 09:43:05 AM  
damn rodeo clowns at Aohell.. I began to despise them the minute I saw what it did to Novell.

I just noticed that the little icon at the bottom of the page, 'continue farking' has a very spearmy looking arrow..
2001-08-24 09:43:44 AM  
I know one good thing about AOL, I have a part time job keeping a network up and running, since they installed AOL I get three times as much work.
The really great thing is, that since I advised them not to do this, none of the password stealing trojans, viruses, and complete farking over of the IP addresses is my fault.
AOL rocks, like broken glass outside of a tire store.
2001-08-24 09:43:55 AM  
Ah - looking at Albert's profile brings back memories. "Back blast area all clear!"

I've taken to using these AOL CDs as ice scrapers. I can't begin to guess how many I have snapped in half as a result of this practice. It is somehow gratifying.
2001-08-24 09:50:01 AM  
I keep telling you guys, put those AOL discs up for offer on E-bay, people will actually buy them!
2001-08-24 09:51:19 AM  
Um... DUH!!
2001-08-24 10:15:16 AM  
DAHAKA - Take a look at my profile now, it is atwess.
2001-08-24 10:15:46 AM  
Scraping-fetus-off-the-wheel: Aol gives them 3000 hours free when they fire people.

Man, talk about adding insult to injury!
2001-08-24 11:09:47 AM  
What? What is wrong with you people? Those chatrooms are very intemellectumally stimumlatiming.
2001-08-24 11:12:30 AM  
Fofo- re: the long Fark banner- is that why my browser is so stretched out right now? Can't read everything without scrolling left to right. Fark that.
2001-08-24 11:22:22 AM  
I'm on 1024x768 and I don't have any problems. Try a bigger screen resolution.
2001-08-24 11:23:59 AM  
Speaking as a tech support person for a small ISP. (i'm 1/6th the staff!) I don't knwo if I'm thankful for AOL, because it means the idiots won't call me, or hate them, because when they eff up, the idiots DO call me...
them :It says I'm connected, but nothings working!
me:you used to have AOL?
them: yes....
me: double click the the blue e on your desktop
them: oh......

Easiest job in the world, yet i hate it.
2001-08-24 11:46:38 AM  
I also don't know how to type this early in the morning.
Displayed 50 of 65 comments

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking

On Twitter

Top Commented
Javascript is required to view headlines in widget.
  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.