Skip to content
 
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Twitter)   At least it didn't catch fire   (twitter.com) divider line
    More: Scary, shot  
•       •       •

1516 clicks; posted to STEM » on 23 Sep 2021 at 2:05 PM (4 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook



35 Comments     (+0 »)
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2021-09-23 1:30:30 PM  
Original Tweet:

 
2021-09-23 2:13:02 PM  
I just need to do a re-fi, then I will have some cash

i.imgur.comView Full Size
 
2021-09-23 2:16:03 PM  
static.politifact.comView Full Size
 
2021-09-23 2:16:38 PM  
img.buzzfeed.comView Full Size
 
2021-09-23 2:17:46 PM  
teleread.comView Full Size
 
2021-09-23 2:34:30 PM  
And we all knew it was a Tesla post without even clicking.
 
2021-09-23 2:35:35 PM  

jclaggett: And we all knew it was a Tesla post without even clicking.


I was thinking 95% chance Tesla, 5% chance Ferrari.
 
2021-09-23 3:01:22 PM  
That brought to mind this ancient computer joke:

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:
1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.  You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.
For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

I bolded #3 because it seemed on topic. Except that this fellow couldn't even pull over. His car just BSODed right in the middle of the highway.
 
2021-09-23 3:16:45 PM  
One thing I do not like about Teslas is how Tesla can do updates to cars whenever Tesla feels like it. Such updates should only happen at the owner's discretion and when the car is able to be parked for the duration of the update. This comes to mind in this case as my wild-ass guess is this Tesla was doing an update and that update failed, causing an irrecoverable system crash.
 
2021-09-23 3:17:18 PM  
Clarke and Dawe - The Front Fell Off
Youtube 3m5qxZm_JqM
 
2021-09-23 3:22:54 PM  
Wonder what the Feds are going to do about this?  Even without a battery installed, you should be able to put it in neutral, turn the wheel, push it a short distance, and the brakes would work. Just basic SHTF functionality.

With a battery installed, the car should detect a low-capacity situation and give you a 10-minute warning before the car shuts down.  Enough time to get to the side of the road.

Tesla stock dropped about 1% by noon, but has recovered.  You'd think a bricked car would generate some panic, but I guess this is a one-off situation.  If it happens a few more times, things could get interesting.
 
2021-09-23 3:31:35 PM  

Befuddled: One thing I do not like about Teslas is how Tesla can do updates to cars whenever Tesla feels like it. Such updates should only happen at the owner's discretion and when the car is able to be parked for the duration of the update. This comes to mind in this case as my wild-ass guess is this Tesla was doing an update and that update failed, causing an irrecoverable system crash.


But that's exactly how it works.  You have to choose to start the update and you have to be parked, it's not randomly done while you're driving down the highway.
 
2021-09-23 3:31:49 PM  

KRSESQ: 10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."


I do this everyday
 
2021-09-23 3:34:14 PM  

KRSESQ: That brought to mind this ancient computer joke:

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:
1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.  You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.
For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10. You'd have to press the "St ...


The thing about this, though, is that instead of Microsoft having 95% of the market, there would be other operating systems on the market.  It would be an OS specifically for driving a car.  The variety of operations such an OS would have to handle would be very small.  While somewhat funny (anything to poke fun at MS), it's not what would have happened.  You could probably slap three Arduinos together with a basic OS, and have them run by committee (2 of the 3 agree to perform a task).  Keep stuff like GPS, Bluetooth, etc., separate from basic operations.
 
2021-09-23 3:39:06 PM  

27 With Dadbod Though: KRSESQ: 10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

I do this everyday


Mine says "Engine Start Stop"
 
2021-09-23 3:40:21 PM  

jclaggett: And we all knew it was a Tesla post without even clicking.


Sorry, I thought it was the Cuyahoga River.  Or a Samsung.  Or anything from Boeing.
 
2021-09-23 3:44:46 PM  

Nicholas D. Wolfwood: jclaggett: And we all knew it was a Tesla post without even clicking.

Sorry, I thought it was the Cuyahoga River.  Or a Samsung.  Or anything from Boeing.


I was thinking about Swamp Castle, which also had a tendency to fall over.
 
2021-09-23 3:53:16 PM  

McCaesar: But that's exactly how it works. You have to choose to start the update and you have to be parked, it's not randomly done while you're driving down the highway.


Then my understanding of how Teslas do updates was wrong.
 
2021-09-23 4:14:12 PM  

Bootleg: 27 With Dadbod Though: KRSESQ: 10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

I do this everyday

Mine says "Engine Start Stop"


I'm nearsighted.
 
2021-09-23 4:55:32 PM  

Myk-House of El: jclaggett: And we all knew it was a Tesla post without even clicking.

I was thinking 95% chance Tesla, 5% chance Ferrari.


I've owned Alfa Romeo's: It did this before it was cool...
 
2021-09-23 5:23:18 PM  
I've been in a petrol fueled car that blew up and caught fire while doing 70 on a motorway, so this isn't exactly something unique to electric cars.

However, the Tesla policy of not having mechanical door handles on the inside but relying on electronic switches would deeply worry me. Some bizarre electrical issue like this and you literally wouldn't be able to get out of the car.


/There are backup mechanical door releases. On you have to remove the speaker grille to find, another you have to pull up the carpet.
 
2021-09-23 5:59:44 PM  
Fark user imageView Full Size


Work safe misspelling is intentional
 
2021-09-23 6:09:05 PM  

Myk-House of El: jclaggett: And we all knew it was a Tesla post without even clicking.

I was thinking 95% chance Tesla, 5% chance Ferrari.


I thought it was Chevy Bolts that have all the warnings about catching fire.  Don't park them within 50 feet of other vehicles, don't leave them unattended while charging (what exactly are you supposed to do, anyway?), don't park them outdoors, don't park them indoors...
 
2021-09-23 6:12:14 PM  

Carter Pewterschmidt: /There are backup mechanical door releases. On you have to remove the speaker grille to find, another you have to pull up the carpet.


OK, that is a deal breaker.  No Teslas for me.  In thriller/espionage movies the protagonist gets into a cab and sees that the door handles have been removed, he knows he's been set up.
 
2021-09-23 6:14:16 PM  

flondrix: Myk-House of El: jclaggett: And we all knew it was a Tesla post without even clicking.

I was thinking 95% chance Tesla, 5% chance Ferrari.

I thought it was Chevy Bolts that have all the warnings about catching fire.  Don't park them within 50 feet of other vehicles, don't leave them unattended while charging (what exactly are you supposed to do, anyway?), don't park them outdoors, don't park them indoors...


They, in fact, do.  But knowing Fark, that's not a highly likely target for headline snark, even if deserved.

Having said that, a number of manufacturers are dealing with fire related recalls.  Hyundai and Kia have a park outside away from things warning on a couple of models as well.
 
2021-09-23 6:17:29 PM  

indy_kid: You'd think a bricked car would generate some panic, but I guess this is a one-off situation. If it happens a few more times, things could get interesting.


This is far from the first bricked Tesla.  I don't know if it is the first to brick while moving.
 
2021-09-23 6:21:28 PM  

indy_kid: The thing about this, though, is that instead of Microsoft having 95% of the market, there would be other operating systems on the market. It would be an OS specifically for driving a car. The variety of operations such an OS would have to handle would be very small. While somewhat funny (anything to poke fun at MS), it's not what would have happened. You could probably slap three Arduinos together with a basic OS, and have them run by committee (2 of the 3 agree to perform a task). Keep stuff like GPS, Bluetooth, etc., separate from basic operations.


Nu-uh.  The standard for computers in vehicles has been proprietary and unrepairable, and I don't see that changing.
 
2021-09-23 6:44:02 PM  

KRSESQ: That brought to mind this ancient computer joke:

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:
1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.  You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.
For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

I bolded #3 because it seemed on topic. Except that this fellow couldn't even pull over. His car just BSODed right in the middle of the highway.


I do number 10 every day.

/I'm also doing #2 right now!
 
2021-09-23 9:08:51 PM  

Carter Pewterschmidt: I've been in a petrol fueled car that blew up and caught fire while doing 70 on a motorway, so this isn't exactly something unique to electric cars.

However, the Tesla policy of not having mechanical door handles on the inside but relying on electronic switches would deeply worry me. Some bizarre electrical issue like this and you literally wouldn't be able to get out of the car.


/There are backup mechanical door releases. On you have to remove the speaker grille to find, another you have to pull up the carpet.


Don't know how it was on the previous models, but current ones have easily accessible manual levers near the door handle
 
2021-09-23 9:56:45 PM  

Joey Jo Jo Jr Shabadu: Carter Pewterschmidt: I've been in a petrol fueled car that blew up and caught fire while doing 70 on a motorway, so this isn't exactly something unique to electric cars.

However, the Tesla policy of not having mechanical door handles on the inside but relying on electronic switches would deeply worry me. Some bizarre electrical issue like this and you literally wouldn't be able to get out of the car.


/There are backup mechanical door releases. On you have to remove the speaker grille to find, another you have to pull up the carpet.

Don't know how it was on the previous models, but current ones have easily accessible manual levers near the door handle


Yeah, the manual release for the door is on the handle.
 
2021-09-23 10:35:51 PM  

Joey Jo Jo Jr Shabadu: Carter Pewterschmidt: I've been in a petrol fueled car that blew up and caught fire while doing 70 on a motorway, so this isn't exactly something unique to electric cars.

However, the Tesla policy of not having mechanical door handles on the inside but relying on electronic switches would deeply worry me. Some bizarre electrical issue like this and you literally wouldn't be able to get out of the car.


/There are backup mechanical door releases. On you have to remove the speaker grille to find, another you have to pull up the carpet.

Don't know how it was on the previous models, but current ones have easily accessible manual levers near the door handle


Tesla Emergency Release | Exit Tesla No Power | Stuck Charger Port | No Power Tesla Door Release
Youtube zpAnwvYnlUE


The front doors have a mechanical handle. But not the rears.

The Model X rear door is even worse.

The Model 3 has a mechanical front door release, but it's in a different place to the button you use every day, and the rear seats? Nope, they just don't have any mechanical release. Power goes, you can't get out.
 
2021-09-23 11:20:48 PM  

Carter Pewterschmidt: Joey Jo Jo Jr Shabadu: Carter Pewterschmidt: I've been in a petrol fueled car that blew up and caught fire while doing 70 on a motorway, so this isn't exactly something unique to electric cars.

However, the Tesla policy of not having mechanical door handles on the inside but relying on electronic switches would deeply worry me. Some bizarre electrical issue like this and you literally wouldn't be able to get out of the car.


/There are backup mechanical door releases. On you have to remove the speaker grille to find, another you have to pull up the carpet.

Don't know how it was on the previous models, but current ones have easily accessible manual levers near the door handle

[YouTube video: Tesla Emergency Release | Exit Tesla No Power | Stuck Charger Port | No Power Tesla Door Release]

The front doors have a mechanical handle. But not the rears.

The Model X rear door is even worse.

The Model 3 has a mechanical front door release, but it's in a different place to the button you use every day, and the rear seats? Nope, they just don't have any mechanical release. Power goes, you can't get out.


I can understand if someone has an issue with no manual release for the rear doors. But the manual release for the front doors (model 3/Y) is right on the door handle just below the electronic button. It's not like it's hidden.
 
2021-09-24 12:21:05 AM  
There is a very small chance that this was a computer hacking. Just a thought.
 
2021-09-24 7:39:30 AM  

Joey Jo Jo Jr Shabadu: I can understand if someone has an issue with no manual release for the rear doors. But the manual release for the front doors (model 3/Y) is right on the door handle just below the electronic button. It's not like it's hidden.


The problem is it's a different place to the thing you're used to using every day. In a crash or fire people panic and get hyper fixated on one thing. There was a small ten seat commuter plane that crashed a few years ago and the engine caught fire. Everyone on board was alive, no injuries. But they couldn't open the door to get out. They spent five minutes trying to open that door as the fire got worse and eventually they all died.
And not once in the five minutes did any of them, including the pilots, think to try the emergency exit over the wing.
It was sitting there all the time only a few feet away. And they didn't use it. They were fixated on the main door. That was the door they always used so that was the door they had to use.

The Model 3 might have a handle right there on the door, but because you never use it when you have a crash and are panicking you will very likely just sit there pressing the electric button harder and harder as the car catches fire.
 
2021-09-24 9:10:01 AM  
We're gonna end up just riding horses again, aren't me..?  Angry radiation-mutated horses... or whatever equivalent.  Rad-Bears?  Yao-Stags?


/Names changed for copyright reasons
 
Displayed 35 of 35 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking




On Twitter


  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.