Skip to content
 
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Ars Technica)   NASA decides ISS is brave enough to take two Dragons at once   (arstechnica.com) divider line
    More: Giggity, Kennedy Space Center, Rocket, NASA, International Space Station, cargo mission, Space Shuttle, Human spaceflight, first SpaceX cargo vehicle  
•       •       •

613 clicks; posted to STEM » on 05 Dec 2020 at 10:54 AM (6 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook



20 Comments     (+0 »)
 
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2020-12-05 10:36:57 AM  
That could be Bad.
 
2020-12-05 11:05:06 AM  

Ivo Shandor: That could be Bad.


Could also be good, though.
 
2020-12-05 11:10:15 AM  
Two Dragons one Dock?
 
2020-12-05 11:13:47 AM  
Hope they're getting a discount
 
2020-12-05 11:14:58 AM  
I'll save you the trouble of looking through the comment thread for the worthwhile bit:
Fark user imageView Full Size
 
2020-12-05 11:20:29 AM  
Farking A, cool shiat.

Meanwhile for subby's mom:

Night Dragon dildoes (NSFW)
 
2020-12-05 11:30:34 AM  
Is it me, or was there no date specified other than Saturday, 11:39am EST?
 
2020-12-05 11:36:04 AM  

Thosw: Is it me, or was there no date specified other than Saturday, 11:39am EST?


From yesterday,
L-1 weather forecast from the 45th Weather Squadron for SpaceX's upcoming CRS-21 (CRS2 SpX-21) launch:

Primary Day = Saturday, December 5 at 16:40 UTC (11:40 EST) (convert time).
Backup Day = Sunday, December 6 at 16:17 UTC (11:17 EST) (convert time).

Primary Day = 50% 'Go'. This percentage does not include upper-level winds nor recovery weather.
* Upper-level wind shear risk is moderate. Booster recovery weather is poor.
Backup Day = 70% 'Go'. This percentage does not include upper-level winds nor recovery weather.
* Upper-level wind shear risk is moderate. Booster recovery weather is good.
 
2020-12-05 12:18:29 PM  
I saw a short documentary about something similar once. It was odd but got the job done. Hopefully it works out as well for nasa
 
2020-12-05 1:07:57 PM  
Fark user imageView Full Size
 
2020-12-05 1:47:48 PM  
Do the Dragon capsules (crewed and otherwise) rely on heat shields on the return trip?  Does anyone know if they are permanent ones, like the shuttles used, or ablative, like Apollo capsules used?  I was wondering if replacing ablative heat shields on reusable spacecraft was a possibility.
 
2020-12-05 2:06:03 PM  

flondrix: Do the Dragon capsules (crewed and otherwise) rely on heat shields on the return trip?  Does anyone know if they are permanent ones, like the shuttles used, or ablative, like Apollo capsules used?  I was wondering if replacing ablative heat shields on reusable spacecraft was a possibility.


It's an ablative heat shield, and it is replaceable.  I suspect the whole heat shield disk is removable as a module, but that's a guess.
 
DVD [TotalFark]
2020-12-05 2:28:11 PM  

jaytkay: [Fark user image 350x287]



If I had a billion dollars, I might do two Falcon Heavies at one time!
 
2020-12-05 4:05:04 PM  
It does not count until they have three dragons.

/It is a Targaryen tradition.
 
2020-12-05 4:20:04 PM  
nasaspaceflight.comView Full Size


PAIGE NO
 
2020-12-05 4:45:56 PM  
Fark user imageView Full Size
 
2020-12-05 5:18:31 PM  
flondrix

Do the Dragon capsules (crewed and otherwise) rely on heat shields on the return trip?

Why is that even a question?
 
2020-12-05 5:43:06 PM  
And stolen from Ken the Bin in the Ars Technica thread again:

New L-1 weather forecast from the 45th Weather Squadron for SpaceX's upcoming CRS-21 (CRS2 SpX-21) launch:

Primary Day = Sunday, December 6 at 16:17 UTC (11:17 EST) (convert time).
Backup Day = Tuesday, December 8 at ~15:28 UTC (~10:28 EST) (convert time).

Primary Day = 60% 'Go'. This percentage does not include upper-level winds nor recovery weather.
* Upper-level wind shear risk is moderate. Booster recovery weather is good.
Backup Day = 70% 'Go'. This percentage does not include upper-level winds nor recovery weather.
* Upper-level wind shear risk is moderate. Booster recovery weather is poor.

Note: If they can't launch Sunday or Tuesday, there will be a gap of about ten days due to a high beta angle period at the ISS.
 
2020-12-05 6:46:28 PM  

DVD: jaytkay: [Fark user image 350x287]


If I had a billion dollars, I might do two Falcon Heavies at one time!


But not a real Falcon Heavy, that's cruel.
 
2020-12-05 8:07:03 PM  
Me want man with one dragon on the floor.
 
Displayed 20 of 20 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking





On Twitter



  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.