Skip to content
 
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(ESPN)   Apparently, it's not just liberal whiteskins that are upset   (espn.com) divider line
    More: Followup, Washington Redskins, National Football League, Native Americans in the United States, Roger Goodell, Native American leaders, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, team name, Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder  
•       •       •

940 clicks; posted to Sports » on 07 Jul 2020 at 11:33 AM (10 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook



14 Comments     (+0 »)
 
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2020-07-07 11:15:17 AM  
Native American tribal leaders have been asking the team to change the name for decades.

I know we're going to get "but this poll shows!" posts in here. Those polls are crap. They almost never verify tribal membership; they mostly just do random dialing and say "hey let's talk about the R*dskins, so, are you a Native American?" And then your numbers get overwhelmed with Becky Whose Mom Says She's 1/32nd Cherokee, and Trent The MAGA Who's Gonna Own The Libs, and you've got a poll where maybe 5% of your respondents are genuine members of a Native American nation and the other 95% are just deluded/lying white people.
 
2020-07-07 11:59:51 AM  
They will change to the Washington Injuns.
 
2020-07-07 12:17:27 PM  

pkjun: I know we're going to get "but this poll shows!" posts in here.


the people who post those polls also can never explain what the threshold should be for when it becomes too racist
 
2020-07-07 12:20:59 PM  

pkjun: Native American tribal leaders have been asking the team to change the name for decades.

I know we're going to get "but this poll shows!" posts in here. Those polls are crap. They almost never verify tribal membership; they mostly just do random dialing and say "hey let's talk about the R*dskins, so, are you a Native American?" And then your numbers get overwhelmed with Becky Whose Mom Says She's 1/32nd Cherokee, and Trent The MAGA Who's Gonna Own The Libs, and you've got a poll where maybe 5% of your respondents are genuine members of a Native American nation and the other 95% are just deluded/lying white people.


Can't remember which but they were talking about that poll that everyone cites on a sports talk show the other day.
IIRC they said they polled 504 people. Even if they were all genuinely Native Americans, it's not exactly a good sample size.
 
2020-07-07 12:52:16 PM  

abhorrent1: pkjun: Native American tribal leaders have been asking the team to change the name for decades.

I know we're going to get "but this poll shows!" posts in here. Those polls are crap. They almost never verify tribal membership; they mostly just do random dialing and say "hey let's talk about the R*dskins, so, are you a Native American?" And then your numbers get overwhelmed with Becky Whose Mom Says She's 1/32nd Cherokee, and Trent The MAGA Who's Gonna Own The Libs, and you've got a poll where maybe 5% of your respondents are genuine members of a Native American nation and the other 95% are just deluded/lying white people.

Can't remember which but they were talking about that poll that everyone cites on a sports talk show the other day.
IIRC they said they polled 504 people. Even if they were all genuinely Native Americans, it's not exactly a good sample size.


Perfectly done, 504 people can be a sufficient sample size.

But it's much, much harder when dealing with a group like Native Americans. What if very few [Native American group A] members mind the name, but the vast majority of [Native American group B] members do? How do you ensure proper sampling of all the different groups? If some groups definitively hate the name, is that enough? Or are they balanced out by the groups that don't?

Not to mention all the issues about self-identification and whatnot. I'll say this much. Almost all the Native Americans I've talked to about the Washington Redacteds want the name changed.
 
2020-07-07 1:00:32 PM  

Dafatone: abhorrent1: pkjun: Native American tribal leaders have been asking the team to change the name for decades.

I know we're going to get "but this poll shows!" posts in here. Those polls are crap. They almost never verify tribal membership; they mostly just do random dialing and say "hey let's talk about the R*dskins, so, are you a Native American?" And then your numbers get overwhelmed with Becky Whose Mom Says She's 1/32nd Cherokee, and Trent The MAGA Who's Gonna Own The Libs, and you've got a poll where maybe 5% of your respondents are genuine members of a Native American nation and the other 95% are just deluded/lying white people.

Can't remember which but they were talking about that poll that everyone cites on a sports talk show the other day.
IIRC they said they polled 504 people. Even if they were all genuinely Native Americans, it's not exactly a good sample size.

Perfectly done, 504 people can be a sufficient sample size.

But it's much, much harder when dealing with a group like Native Americans. What if very few [Native American group A] members mind the name, but the vast majority of [Native American group B] members do? How do you ensure proper sampling of all the different groups? If some groups definitively hate the name, is that enough? Or are they balanced out by the groups that don't?

Not to mention all the issues about self-identification and whatnot. I'll say this much. Almost all the Native Americans I've talked to about the Washington Redacteds want the name changed.


I would imagine, though I don't know for sure, that there are are a certain number that are just indifferent too.
Maybe the age demo has a lot to do with it. The older people may want the name changed and younger people are like "whatever" and then go back to scrolling through tick tok or whatever the kids are using these days.
 
2020-07-07 1:02:42 PM  

kukukupo: They will change to the Washington Injuns.


When Arkansas State changed from the Indians, there was a push from students to have the new name be the "Engines." From memory, it got nowhere near being selected by the adults who probably caught on to it but it dominated the one poll I recall that was done on the students by the student paper.
 
2020-07-07 1:14:41 PM  

pkjun: I know we're going to get "but this poll shows!" posts in here.


I don't think we are, to be honest.  Defenders have been strangely quiet in the past few threads.
 
2020-07-07 1:32:33 PM  
But I was assured by based Farkers that eleventy jillion percent of Native Americans were opposed to any name changes, and like being mascots.
 
2020-07-07 1:35:21 PM  
I'm a fan of Washington and yeah, the name's racist as Fark and should be changed.

Probably won't be buying new gear when they do change, not because I'm anti-change, but because I don't want any portion of my money going to Dan Snyder.
 
2020-07-07 2:24:59 PM  

LucklessWonder: I'm a fan of Washington and yeah, the name's racist as Fark and should be changed.

Probably won't be buying new gear when they do change, not because I'm anti-change, but because I don't want any portion of my money going to Dan Snyder.


If I were a team owner, I would change the name of my team every 5 or 10 years just to make all the fans go out and buy new gear. I be a Trillionaire!
 
2020-07-07 10:12:29 PM  
Just change it to the Washington Blackfoot, since, according to an article I briefly skimmed, a Blackfoot member designed the logo. Then put up a bunch of Blackfoot history around the stadium. They even get to keep the logo.
 
2020-07-07 10:17:10 PM  
Someone in the last thread about this recommended the Washington Carvers, and I can't get over how good that is.
 
2020-07-07 10:27:06 PM  
Keep the name. Change the imagery.

Fark user imageView Full Size
Fark user imageView Full Size
 
Displayed 14 of 14 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking




On Twitter



  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.