Skip to content
 
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Medium)   Listen up - here's everything you need to know about herd immunity   (elemental.medium.com) divider line
    More: PSA, Immune system, herd immunity, Infection, Vaccination, Antibody, Immunology, Infectious disease, population reach herd immunity  
•       •       •

647 clicks; posted to Geek » on 14 May 2020 at 11:43 AM (2 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook



16 Comments     (+0 »)
 
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2020-05-14 10:27:53 AM  
Actual video of MAGA herd:
media1.giphy.comView Full Size
 
2020-05-14 11:01:07 AM  
It's called a "vaccination".  We don't have one yet.
 
2020-05-14 11:56:53 AM  
I doubt it.
 
2020-05-14 12:01:12 PM  
The thing about herd immunity is there's a lot of thinning of the herd involved in getting there.
 
2020-05-14 12:07:01 PM  
1. Infect 70% of the population so that the remaining 30% can live in fear of when they will get it.
2. Do the math on the deaths when you infect 70% of 328 million. We still aren't sure what the death rate is. Probably between 0.5% and 3%. Statistical modeling is hard! The actual death rate will be easier to compute if you infect everyone.
3. Dig a lot of graves. More. Keep going.
4. We'll all find out together whether immunity lasts 1 year, or 2, or 3, and whether you are more apt to die of a cytokine storm on the second round, like how allergies get worse with more exposure.

Just curious, are there serious scientists in favor of this approach, or only politicians?
 
2020-05-14 12:20:45 PM  
Nerd immunity is pretty easy. We tend to spend our time mostly by ourselves anyway.
 
2020-05-14 12:22:45 PM  
One sentence sums it all up.  Too bad it's the one sentence the reopeners are most likely to ignore.

The bigger problem with achieving herd immunity through infections is that it defeats the purpose of reaching herd immunity at all.
 
2020-05-14 12:51:48 PM  
Let's give everyone HIV and herpes too!  Sure, that will cure us all!!!
 
2020-05-14 1:42:05 PM  

common sense is an oxymoron: One sentence sums it all up.  Too bad it's the one sentence the reopeners are most likely to ignore.

The bigger problem with achieving herd immunity through infections is that it defeats the purpose of reaching herd immunity at all.


Fark user imageView Full Size
 
2020-05-14 2:05:34 PM  
Yo, I herd you like immunity...
 
2020-05-14 2:08:17 PM  

oopsboom: The thing about herd immunity is there's a lot of thinning of the herd involved in getting there.


Nah, that's Mother Nature's old, outdated way.  Right?

Right?

Uh, oh I think she heard me say that.  Bye guys.
 
2020-05-14 2:26:46 PM  

40 degree day: 1. Infect 70% of the population so that the remaining 30% can live in fear of when they will get it.
2. Do the math on the deaths when you infect 70% of 328 million. We still aren't sure what the death rate is. Probably between 0.5% and 3%. Statistical modeling is hard! The actual death rate will be easier to compute if you infect everyone.
3. Dig a lot of graves. More. Keep going.
4. We'll all find out together whether immunity lasts 1 year, or 2, or 3, and whether you are more apt to die of a cytokine storm on the second round, like how allergies get worse with more exposure.

Just curious, are there serious scientists in favor of this approach, or only politicians?


You can't make models when test kits don't work. Here's a high profile doctor who's been COVID go-to guy for NBC - in the hospital with it, even intensive care, and 4 tests came up negative.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcn​e​ws.com/news/amp/ncna1206956
 
2020-05-14 2:51:59 PM  
Unfortunately, it seems like just typing the words "herd immunity", regardless of any other words that may precede or follow those words, will cause 5000 more of my fellow Americans to clamor for re-openings.
 
2020-05-14 4:57:52 PM  

40 degree day: We still aren't sure what the death rate is. Probably between 0.5% and 3%.


We have a lower bound for the death rate though - it has killed 0.3% of New York City.

So if literally everybody in the city had it, the death rate is 0.3%. If half the city had it the rate is 0.6% etc.

I think antibody studies are suggesting about 20% of NYC had it, putting the death rate around 1.5%.
 
2020-05-14 5:20:04 PM  

lectos: Let's give everyone HIV and herpes too!  Sure, that will cure us all!!!


media.tenor.comView Full Size
 
2020-05-14 6:16:39 PM  

Gaseous Anomaly: 40 degree day: We still aren't sure what the death rate is. Probably between 0.5% and 3%.

We have a lower bound for the death rate though - it has killed 0.3% of New York City.

So if literally everybody in the city had it, the death rate is 0.3%. If half the city had it the rate is 0.6% etc.

I think antibody studies are suggesting about 20% of NYC had it, putting the death rate around 1.5%.


Difficulty:  it's screwing up organs of many survivers. In the end, that has to be qualified and quantified.
 
Displayed 16 of 16 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking





On Twitter




In Other Media
  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.