Skip to content
 
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(USA Today)   Hand sanitizer makes poor substitute for soap when washing student's mouth out, Ms. Middle School Science Teacher   (usatoday.com) divider line
    More: Florida, High school, Education, Ethanol, mouth of a misbehaving student, teacher Guyette Duhart, Polo Park Middle School, hand sanitizer, school administrator  
•       •       •

2663 clicks; posted to Main » on 22 Feb 2020 at 6:50 PM (19 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook



32 Comments     (+0 »)
 
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2020-02-22 4:29:48 PM  
tse2.mm.bing.netView Full Size
 
2020-02-22 5:18:43 PM  
Duhart admitted to holding the sanitizer near his mouth but claimed the student grabbed the bottle himself and pumped it into his own mouth.

So, you told him he needed his mouth washed out with soap.  You told him to come to your desk.  You picked up the bottle and held it to his mouth.  But you didn't actually do it, he did it to himself.  And you didn't notice.

Yeah, that's not even middle-school level bullshiatting.  You have to go all the way down to toddler to get that level of denial when confronted.
 
2020-02-22 5:24:51 PM  

Benevolent Misanthrope: Duhart admitted to holding the sanitizer near his mouth but claimed the student grabbed the bottle himself and pumped it into his own mouth.

So, you told him he needed his mouth washed out with soap.  You told him to come to your desk.  You picked up the bottle and held it to his mouth.  But you didn't actually do it, he did it to himself.  And you didn't notice.

Yeah, that's not even middle-school level bullshiatting.  You have to go all the way down to toddler to get that level of denial when confronted.


It's almost as if something...something...has made people in authority comfortable with lying as a valid defense against their own bad behavior.  Bigly.
 
2020-02-22 5:37:38 PM  

Benevolent Misanthrope: Duhart admitted to holding the sanitizer near his mouth but claimed the student grabbed the bottle himself and pumped it into his own mouth.

So, you told him he needed his mouth washed out with soap.  You told him to come to your desk.  You picked up the bottle and held it to his mouth.  But you didn't actually do it, he did it to himself.  And you didn't notice.

Yeah, that's not even middle-school level bullshiatting.  You have to go all the way down to toddler to get that level of denial when confronted.



Choke yourself!

crossfitto.comView Full Size
 
2020-02-22 6:24:08 PM  
I had a nightmare substitute experience in Chandler, Az. I could see one of my German I students grabbing a bottle of sanitizer and drinking it. They all wanted attention that their other teachers and parents weren't giving them.

It was a horrible school in the burbs, though. The letter I left the teacher was brutally honest. So honest that it got me fired. I've never been fired before. I was proud of that letter, though.

So, so effing fired. I wear it as a badge of honor now.
 
2020-02-22 7:00:32 PM  
I'm kinda thinking that "washing your mouth out with soap" is one of those old timey things that's best left in the past. If the kid was being loud and disruptive I'm all for making him shut his noise hole but I think detention, missing recess for a week, etc. would be better ideas.
 
2020-02-22 7:11:28 PM  
Back when SARS first hit they suddenly started putting hand sanitizer everywhere. A few places thought that since inmates are in such close proximity they should put it everywhere in prisons. It's usually 70%-90% ethanol. The lesson is that many people are too farking stupid to read what's in something. The inmates weren't stupid though. Must have been good times while it lasted.
 
2020-02-22 7:11:55 PM  
Being a teacher... is a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

That said, if forced to do it, I'm pretty damned sure I would have a camera in there recording everything, just to protect my arse.  They are required on school buses, so I don't really see an issue with them in the class room... well, except for the assholes who are doing shiat they know they shouldn't be.

Sure, what me pick my nose when no one is watching.... but at least I can prove I wasnt the one who touched little Tracie where I shouldn't have.. :P
 
2020-02-22 7:13:00 PM  

Russ1642: Back when SARS first hit they suddenly started putting hand sanitizer everywhere. A few places thought that since inmates are in such close proximity they should put it everywhere in prisons. It's usually 70%-90% ethanol. The lesson is that many people are too farking stupid to read what's in something. The inmates weren't stupid though. Must have been good times while it lasted.


These days there's a bittering agent in it. Tastes awful
 
2020-02-22 7:14:55 PM  

Tyrosine: I'm kinda thinking that "washing your mouth out with soap" is one of those old timey things that's best left in the past. If the kid was being loud and disruptive I'm all for making him shut his noise hole but I think detention, missing recess for a week, etc. would be better ideas.


Whenever I read about a teacher losing their cool with a student I picture Craig from South Park.
 
2020-02-22 7:15:39 PM  

TheDirtyNacho: Russ1642: Back when SARS first hit they suddenly started putting hand sanitizer everywhere. A few places thought that since inmates are in such close proximity they should put it everywhere in prisons. It's usually 70%-90% ethanol. The lesson is that many people are too farking stupid to read what's in something. The inmates weren't stupid though. Must have been good times while it lasted.

These days there's a bittering agent in it. Tastes awful


Yet it's probably still better-tasting than pruno.
 
2020-02-22 7:17:04 PM  

TheDirtyNacho: Russ1642: Back when SARS first hit they suddenly started putting hand sanitizer everywhere. A few places thought that since inmates are in such close proximity they should put it everywhere in prisons. It's usually 70%-90% ethanol. The lesson is that many people are too farking stupid to read what's in something. The inmates weren't stupid though. Must have been good times while it lasted.

These days there's a bittering agent in it. Tastes awful


In prison I don't think I'd give the slightest shiat about a bittering agent.
 
2020-02-22 7:19:10 PM  

Russ1642: Tyrosine: I'm kinda thinking that "washing your mouth out with soap" is one of those old timey things that's best left in the past. If the kid was being loud and disruptive I'm all for making him shut his noise hole but I think detention, missing recess for a week, etc. would be better ideas.

Whenever I read about a teacher losing their cool with a student I picture Craig from South Park.


I once told two students to "shut the fu*k up", but that was at a university so you don't have to be as gentle with the poor dears.
 
2020-02-22 7:23:40 PM  

Tyrosine: I'm kinda thinking that "washing your mouth out with soap" is one of those old timey things that's best left in the past. If the kid was being loud and disruptive I'm all for making him shut his noise hole but I think detention, missing recess for a week, etc. would be better ideas.


The last I knew middle-school kids don't get a recess.  Perhaps you are thinking of elementary school?
 
2020-02-22 7:26:55 PM  

ecmoRandomNumbers: I had a nightmare substitute experience in Chandler, Az. I could see one of my German I students grabbing a bottle of sanitizer and drinking it. They all wanted attention that their other teachers and parents weren't giving them.

It was a horrible school in the burbs, though. The letter I left the teacher was brutally honest. So honest that it got me fired. I've never been fired before. I was proud of that letter, though.

So, so effing fired. I wear it as a badge of honor now.



uhhhhm, are you sure they wanted "attention"?

or did they want to get farked up, as teens do?

residential rehabs and medical detox facilities CANNOT have hand sanitizer on the premises, someone WILL drink it. bitter or not. it's way more potent than drinking mouthwash or perfume or hairspray (all things that have also happened).

in fact it's so potent that children/adults with low body weights have needed to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning after consuming it. this teacher should be fired. she put poison into a students mouth. the parents should also sue her.
 
2020-02-22 7:30:42 PM  

Dakai: Tyrosine: I'm kinda thinking that "washing your mouth out with soap" is one of those old timey things that's best left in the past. If the kid was being loud and disruptive I'm all for making him shut his noise hole but I think detention, missing recess for a week, etc. would be better ideas.

The last I knew middle-school kids don't get a recess.  Perhaps you are thinking of elementary school?


Where I live there is no middle school. Elementary goes to grade 8 and there's recess morning and afternoon until grade 7, and grade 8 only gets only morning recess. Thus my suggestion. In lieu of cancelling recess give the whole class detention because of the kid. His classmates will solve the issue.
 
2020-02-22 7:38:06 PM  

Benevolent Misanthrope: Duhart admitted to holding the sanitizer near his mouth but claimed the student grabbed the bottle himself and pumped it into his own mouth.

So, you told him he needed his mouth washed out with soap.  You told him to come to your desk.  You picked up the bottle and held it to his mouth.  But you didn't actually do it, he did it to himself.  And you didn't notice.

Yeah, that's not even middle-school level bullshiatting.  You have to go all the way down to toddler to get that level of denial when confronted.


90% chance yeah - but there IS that 10% chance - check with other witnesses.  I can say this because one of my friends in high school WAS the kid that would totally say, "Fine biatch!" and grab the bottle out of your hand and start chugging.  Then you'd get a "Farkin' happy now??"  He was that kind of guy.

/he likes to start traffic stops with, "Hey pig."
//these people exist
///no, I don't know how the fark they live past like 12 - but they're out there
 
2020-02-22 7:38:49 PM  
But is the standardized testing OK?
 
2020-02-22 7:41:14 PM  
Fark user imageView Full Size
 
2020-02-22 7:57:17 PM  
Devolving_Spud:It's almost as if something...something...has made people in authority comfortable with lying as a valid defense against their own bad behavior.  Bigly.

Fark user imageView Full Size
 
2020-02-22 7:58:07 PM  
Back in grade school my homeroom teacher punished misbehavior by making students drink a whole big bottle of vanilla extract.  Cruel, but usually quieted them down.
 
2020-02-22 8:18:19 PM  

SwiftFox: Back in grade school my homeroom teacher punished misbehavior by making students drink a whole big bottle of vanilla extract.  Cruel, but usually quieted them down.


If this isn't a joke, you may be unaware that vanilla extract is usually about 35% ethanol, just slightly weaker than vodka.

The teacher "punished" by making the kid do a shooter.
 
2020-02-22 8:25:22 PM  

luna1580: ecmoRandomNumbers: I had a nightmare substitute experience in Chandler, Az. I could see one of my German I students grabbing a bottle of sanitizer and drinking it. They all wanted attention that their other teachers and parents weren't giving them.

It was a horrible school in the burbs, though. The letter I left the teacher was brutally honest. So honest that it got me fired. I've never been fired before. I was proud of that letter, though.

So, so effing fired. I wear it as a badge of honor now.


uhhhhm, are you sure they wanted "attention"?

or did they want to get farked up, as teens do?

residential rehabs and medical detox facilities CANNOT have hand sanitizer on the premises, someone WILL drink it. bitter or not. it's way more potent than drinking mouthwash or perfume or hairspray (all things that have also happened).

in fact it's so potent that children/adults with low body weights have needed to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning after consuming it. this teacher should be fired. she put poison into a students mouth. the parents should also sue her.


Years ago my aunt worked at AZ Girls Ranch, which was like a step away from county jail time. The girls would drink mouthwash, etc. but my aunt had activated charcoal always on hand and the girls who tried to get f*cked up knew what they'd be eating if they drank any kind of alcohol.

My aunt, my mom, and I have some kind of thing for punishment because we've always been public servants. My mom worked almost 40 years for WIC. She'd take out young moms on her own time and teach them how to shop and cook using their vouchers. I am still a fervent supporter of public education. A lot of people do get a poor education, but that's not a systemic failure. It's a failure of leadership. And my aunt has always helped the marginalized kids that society was ready to give up on.

My aunt came to Arizona in the 80s because her tax attorney absconded with a LOT of people's money. After a couple of years of writing letters, John McCain got the IRS to drop all financial obligations that my aunt wasn't responsible for. My aunt now lives in Ohio and votes Republican (which is basically like having 10 votes in Arizona) and anathema to every fiber of my being. But she still mentors at-risk girls.
 
2020-02-22 8:29:41 PM  

aagrajag: SwiftFox: Back in grade school my homeroom teacher punished misbehavior by making students drink a whole big bottle of vanilla extract.  Cruel, but usually quieted them down.

If this isn't a joke, you may be unaware that vanilla extract is usually about 35% ethanol, just slightly weaker than vodka.

The teacher "punished" by making the kid do a shooter.


Some "Mexican" vanilla is tainted with coumarin, which causes hepato-renal failure.
 
2020-02-22 8:59:01 PM  

Calypsocookie: [tse2.mm.bing.net image 245x190] [View Full Size image _x_]


Always thought the kid was stupid. The old man told mom on him. Would have thrown the old man under the bus when she wanted to know who taught him dirty words.
 
2020-02-22 9:03:32 PM  

ecmoRandomNumbers: luna1580: ecmoRandomNumbers: I had a nightmare substitute experience in Chandler, Az. I could see one of my German I students grabbing a bottle of sanitizer and drinking it. They all wanted attention that their other teachers and parents weren't giving them.

It was a horrible school in the burbs, though. The letter I left the teacher was brutally honest. So honest that it got me fired. I've never been fired before. I was proud of that letter, though.

So, so effing fired. I wear it as a badge of honor now.


uhhhhm, are you sure they wanted "attention"?

or did they want to get farked up, as teens do?

residential rehabs and medical detox facilities CANNOT have hand sanitizer on the premises, someone WILL drink it. bitter or not. it's way more potent than drinking mouthwash or perfume or hairspray (all things that have also happened).

in fact it's so potent that children/adults with low body weights have needed to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning after consuming it. this teacher should be fired. she put poison into a students mouth. the parents should also sue her.

Years ago my aunt worked at AZ Girls Ranch, which was like a step away from county jail time. The girls would drink mouthwash, etc. but my aunt had activated charcoal always on hand and the girls who tried to get f*cked up knew what they'd be eating if they drank any kind of alcohol.

My aunt, my mom, and I have some kind of thing for punishment because we've always been public servants. My mom worked almost 40 years for WIC. She'd take out young moms on her own time and teach them how to shop and cook using their vouchers. I am still a fervent supporter of public education. A lot of people do get a poor education, but that's not a systemic failure. It's a failure of leadership. And my aunt has always helped the marginalized kids that society was ready to give up on.

My aunt came to Arizona in the 80s because her tax attorney absconded with a LOT of people's money. After a couple of years of writ ...


you and the ladies of your family are good people. but your aunt- i don't understand: how can she vote for a party that promises to defund and eliminate the very types of programs she's dedicated her life to? and TONS of americans do this! that would be like if i dedicated my life to working at the public library and with initiatives to get children reading at or above grade level, and then i turned 50 and started consistently voting for the dude who promised to defund and shut down all public libraries in the state. i just can't understand what these people are thinking/feeling/expecting.....
 
2020-02-22 9:05:56 PM  

Some Junkie Cosmonaut: Benevolent Misanthrope: Duhart admitted to holding the sanitizer near his mouth but claimed the student grabbed the bottle himself and pumped it into his own mouth.

So, you told him he needed his mouth washed out with soap.  You told him to come to your desk.  You picked up the bottle and held it to his mouth.  But you didn't actually do it, he did it to himself.  And you didn't notice.

Yeah, that's not even middle-school level bullshiatting.  You have to go all the way down to toddler to get that level of denial when confronted.

90% chance yeah - but there IS that 10% chance - check with other witnesses.  I can say this because one of my friends in high school WAS the kid that would totally say, "Fine biatch!" and grab the bottle out of your hand and start chugging.  Then you'd get a "Farkin' happy now??"  He was that kind of guy.

/he likes to start traffic stops with, "Hey pig."
//these people exist
///no, I don't know how the fark they live past like 12 - but they're out there


And did the teacher later claim she didn't see him do that, and couldn't have known about his behavior?
 
2020-02-22 9:08:16 PM  

luna1580: ecmoRandomNumbers: luna1580: ecmoRandomNumbers: I had a nightmare substitute experience in Chandler, Az. I could see one of my German I students grabbing a bottle of sanitizer and drinking it. They all wanted attention that their other teachers and parents weren't giving them.

It was a horrible school in the burbs, though. The letter I left the teacher was brutally honest. So honest that it got me fired. I've never been fired before. I was proud of that letter, though.

So, so effing fired. I wear it as a badge of honor now.


uhhhhm, are you sure they wanted "attention"?

or did they want to get farked up, as teens do?

residential rehabs and medical detox facilities CANNOT have hand sanitizer on the premises, someone WILL drink it. bitter or not. it's way more potent than drinking mouthwash or perfume or hairspray (all things that have also happened).

in fact it's so potent that children/adults with low body weights have needed to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning after consuming it. this teacher should be fired. she put poison into a students mouth. the parents should also sue her.

Years ago my aunt worked at AZ Girls Ranch, which was like a step away from county jail time. The girls would drink mouthwash, etc. but my aunt had activated charcoal always on hand and the girls who tried to get f*cked up knew what they'd be eating if they drank any kind of alcohol.

My aunt, my mom, and I have some kind of thing for punishment because we've always been public servants. My mom worked almost 40 years for WIC. She'd take out young moms on her own time and teach them how to shop and cook using their vouchers. I am still a fervent supporter of public education. A lot of people do get a poor education, but that's not a systemic failure. It's a failure of leadership. And my aunt has always helped the marginalized kids that society was ready to give up on.

My aunt came to Arizona in the 80s because her tax attorney absconded with a LOT of people's money. After a coup ...


Don't get me started. We'll be here all night.
 
2020-02-22 10:00:43 PM  
My parents and grandparents always thought that schoolteachers were stupider than the elementary schools kids they taught, but then again, so did us kids. And were we wrong? Seldom. Occasionally you run across a schoolteacher who knows something, who has some sense, some brains, a good second job.
 
2020-02-22 10:05:49 PM  

brantgoose: My parents and grandparents always thought that schoolteachers were stupider than the elementary schools kids they taught, but then again, so did us kids. And were we wrong? Seldom. Occasionally you run across a schoolteacher who knows something, who has some sense, some brains, a good second job.


I used to date a teacher, teaching grades 5-8.

I remember spending a week drilling the basics of math operational priority into her, and doubling checking all the tests she marked. God that was a shiat show.
 
2020-02-23 1:13:38 AM  

GrogSmash: Being a teacher... is a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

That said, if forced to do it, I'm pretty damned sure I would have a camera in there recording everything, just to protect my arse.  They are required on school buses, so I don't really see an issue with them in the class room... well, except for the assholes who are doing shiat they know they shouldn't be.

Sure, what me pick my nose when no one is watching.... but at least I can prove I wasnt the one who touched little Tracie where I shouldn't have.. :P


Many schools do have cameras in the classroom.
 
2020-02-23 2:04:11 AM  

Some Junkie Cosmonaut: Benevolent Misanthrope: Duhart admitted to holding the sanitizer near his mouth but claimed the student grabbed the bottle himself and pumped it into his own mouth.

So, you told him he needed his mouth washed out with soap.  You told him to come to your desk.  You picked up the bottle and held it to his mouth.  But you didn't actually do it, he did it to himself.  And you didn't notice.

Yeah, that's not even middle-school level bullshiatting.  You have to go all the way down to toddler to get that level of denial when confronted.

90% chance yeah - but there IS that 10% chance - check with other witnesses.  I can say this because one of my friends in high school WAS the kid that would totally say, "Fine biatch!" and grab the bottle out of your hand and start chugging.  Then you'd get a "Farkin' happy now??"  He was that kind of guy.

/he likes to start traffic stops with, "Hey pig."
//these people exist
///no, I don't know how the fark they live past like 12 - but they're out there


Even what the teacher admitted to doing is pretty bad. Never state consequences if you aren't willing to follow through on them. So even bringing up the "I'm going to wash your mouth out with soap (or hand sanitizer)" is not a good idea.

Middle school kids make plenty of bad decisions based on peer reaction and social ramifications. In the heat of the confrontation, all the kid can think of is how they'll look to their friends (or how they'll feel about themselves) if they back down. There's tons of kids that cry "I don't care, I love ISS" when they are getting in trouble for acting out. For that reason, I kinda buy the teacher's account of what happened.

Give them a way to back down without losing face and you'll have a better teaching year. A teacher with 12 years experience should know that.
 
Displayed 32 of 32 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking




On Twitter




In Other Media
  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.