Skip to content
 
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Politico)   Bloomberg's cunning plan to win the nomination is to force a "brokered convention" where, clearly all the moderates will rally around HIM and sweep him to victory. So, yeah, he's delusional at this point   (politico.com) divider line
    More: Asinine, Democratic Party, Antonio Villaraigosa, Hillary Rodham Clinton, National Convention, Candidate, Bloomberg's senior state-level advisers, French First Republic, Convention  
•       •       •

483 clicks; posted to Politics » on 21 Feb 2020 at 1:32 PM (19 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook



99 Comments     (+0 »)
 
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all

 
2020-02-21 12:12:02 PM  
If you don't understand why this doesn't represent a very real possibility of something that could happen, subby, you need to start paying a little more attention to things.
 
2020-02-21 12:17:31 PM  
If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.
 
2020-02-21 12:20:10 PM  
I don't think it's delusional at all. It sounds perfectly plausible to me after the first ballot, when the establishment "super delegates" will be unleashed.
 
2020-02-21 12:41:47 PM  
I wonder what would happen if Sanders released a statement saying that, if he wins the most delegates but the DNC fix the nomination, he'll just run as an independent
 
2020-02-21 12:42:39 PM  

Hubris Boy: I don't think it's delusional at all. It sounds perfectly plausible to me after the first ballot, when the establishment "super delegates" will be unleashed.


he can't buy them all...and the optics would be appalling.  In Such a scenario, Biden or Warren is MUCH more likely
 
2020-02-21 1:04:06 PM  
If you have $70,000,000,000,000... anything is possible.

He might even buy Zombo.com
 
2020-02-21 1:11:56 PM  
When you've been too rich for too long you forget what it's like for people to tell you "no".
 
2020-02-21 1:34:30 PM  
Moderates...people he buys off between now and then...
 
2020-02-21 1:34:31 PM  
Well, not "it's 2020 let's run on a platform of rent control and public housing" delusional...

If the Dems want to avoid a brokered convention, convince Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Warran to drop out now for the good of the country, and pledge their delegates to Mike.

/Bloomberg 2020
 
2020-02-21 1:35:40 PM  

Magorn: Hubris Boy: I don't think it's delusional at all. It sounds perfectly plausible to me after the first ballot, when the establishment "super delegates" will be unleashed.

he can't buy them all...and the optics would be appalling.  In Such a scenario, Biden or Warren is MUCH more likely


Why can't he buy them all?

This is a man who has already to date bought 3 elections just for himself and has already spent more than 10 times what the dems raised in 2016.  This isn't counting the amazing amount of dark money he dumps every 2 years to further his agenda.

He is the ninth richest man in the world he can buy whatever he wants. That's how it works
 
2020-02-21 1:35:43 PM  

Magorn: Hubris Boy: I don't think it's delusional at all. It sounds perfectly plausible to me after the first ballot, when the establishment "super delegates" will be unleashed.

he can't buy them all...and the optics would be appalling.  In Such a scenario, Biden or Warren is MUCH more likely


Says you.

Come on bloomberg. This bernie bro has a mortgage and wants a new truck...
 
2020-02-21 1:36:09 PM  
Yes Mike, further dilute the moderate vote so fewer people achieve 15% for viability, this is surely a fool proof plan.
 
2020-02-21 1:36:59 PM  

Bloomin Bloomberg: Well, not "it's 2020 let's run on a platform of rent control and public housing" delusional...

If the Dems want to avoid a brokered convention, convince Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Warran to drop out now for the good of the country, and pledge their delegates to Mike.

/Bloomberg 2020


Serious question: what's the workload like? I reckon I could do quite a bit of shilling while also keeping up with my normal job, and a second paycheck would be cool.
 
2020-02-21 1:38:05 PM  
This is your friendly reminder that political parties are first and foremost entities that exist to increase the power and financial gains of the people leading the party, and only make overtures to the masses in order to extend those desires.
 
2020-02-21 1:39:00 PM  
Bloomberg's most useful act would be to fully fund Amy M. in her bid to unseat Mitch McConnell. It would be a higher service to the nation than serving as President.  We'd name schools after him.
 
2020-02-21 1:39:12 PM  

DammitIForgotMyLogin: I wonder what would happen if Sanders released a statement saying that, if he wins the most delegates but the DNC fix the nomination, he'll just run as an independent


Sore loser laws attempt to prevent this. Most states will not allow you on the ballot of a new party if you ran in the primary of a different party, but didn't get the nomination. Nothing to stop people from writing him in.
 
2020-02-21 1:39:14 PM  

FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.


Articles like this make clear that a big chunk of the DNC and other candidates don't understand that screwing over Bernie kills the party.  Like I said yesterday, it's a hostage situation, and Bernie is the one with the gun.

Or to out it more bluntly:
i.kym-cdn.comView Full Size
 
2020-02-21 1:39:35 PM  

Pocket Ninja: If you don't understand why this doesn't represent a very real possibility of something that could happen, subby, you need to start paying a little more attention to things.


If the choice is between, say, Bloomberg and Biden (or Sanders), I doubt the other candidates are going to go to Bloomberg.
 
2020-02-21 1:39:36 PM  

fallingcow: Bloomin Bloomberg: Well, not "it's 2020 let's run on a platform of rent control and public housing" delusional...

If the Dems want to avoid a brokered convention, convince Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Warran to drop out now for the good of the country, and pledge their delegates to Mike.

/Bloomberg 2020

Serious question: what's the workload like? I reckon I could do quite a bit of shilling while also keeping up with my normal job, and a second paycheck would be cool.


Do I get paid in Bloomberg Onions?
 
2020-02-21 1:39:46 PM  

FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.

This happens and Trumps wins re-election


"Progressives showed they can't be trusted to show up and vote. I am very smart"
 
2020-02-21 1:40:49 PM  
He'll get most of the super delegates from calling in favors, but really, he doesn't even need to. All he has to do is send a lackey to take each of them out to dinner and offer them $10 million each for compliance.
 
2020-02-21 1:41:46 PM  

Aar1012: FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.

This happens and Trumps wins re-election

"Progressives showed they can't be trusted to show up and vote. I am very smart"


Sorry, the "Trump wins re-election" line was supposed to be my comment. Not the quoted one
 
2020-02-21 1:42:00 PM  

FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.


The problem with a contested primary is that it sucks either way. If Bernie had the most delegates but that only amounts to 25% of the total delegates then the people who voted for the other 75% would also be right to be mad that their candidate is someone they didn't pick. Which is why they have to then debate and suss out who everyone's #2 or #3 pick is until they get someone most people can agree on.
 
2020-02-21 1:42:48 PM  

fallingcow: Bloomin Bloomberg: Well, not "it's 2020 let's run on a platform of rent control and public housing" delusional...

If the Dems want to avoid a brokered convention, convince Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Warran to drop out now for the good of the country, and pledge their delegates to Mike.

/Bloomberg 2020

Serious question: what's the workload like? I reckon I could do quite a bit of shilling while also keeping up with my normal job, and a second paycheck would be cool.


Check out the account creation date; they haven't gotten their first pay check yet.
 
2020-02-21 1:44:31 PM  

Pocket Ninja: If you don't understand why this doesn't represent a very real possibility of something that could happen, subby, you need to start paying a little more attention to things.


I doubt Bloomberg got involved on a whim. Before he dumped large quantities of money into the project he would had people looking at the numbers (party demographics, super-delegate composition, voting patterns) to determine the feasibility of his run.
 
2020-02-21 1:45:37 PM  

NewportBarGuy: If you have $70,000,000,000,000... anything is possible.

He might even buy Zombo.com


The only limit is himself
 
2020-02-21 1:45:48 PM  
That's exactly what the DNC wants to happen.

A brokered convention is where "eenie, meenie, miney, Bloomberg" happens. Followed by "What are the odds! What a glorious day. Sorry Bernie, go retire."

The Democratic Party elite doesn't want good things to happen. They don't want a candidate who represents a pivotal turning point in making American society better. They don't want the will of the voters to prevail.

They want money.

If a brokered convention is forced, I will be furious, and so should all of you. If they take the nomination from the candidate with the most delegates to this point, I will be furious, and so should all of you.

If the Democratic Party makes Bloomberg their nominee, they will have officially become the antithesis of their supposed beliefs. I refuse to vote for Bloomberg, I'm not sorry at all, I'm quite proud of my stance on that, and I will encourage everyone I know to not vote if Bloomberg is the nominee.

If you are so eager to get rid of Trump that you arbitrarily nominate someone worse than Trump above the will of the voters, I refuse to support you ever again, and I hope the riots will be plentiful and intense.
 
2020-02-21 1:46:03 PM  

bthom37: FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.

Articles like this make clear that a big chunk of the DNC and other candidates don't understand that screwing over Bernie kills the party.  Like I said yesterday, it's a hostage situation, and Bernie is the one with the gun.

Or to out it more bluntly:
[i.kym-cdn.com image 500x416] [View Full Size image _x_]


A lot of this depends on how many votes (not delegates) Sanders has.

If Sanders only has 25% of the votes, he's going to have a hard time arguing that the nom belongs to him automatically, even if that's more than anybody else.

If he's at 40%, his case is a lot easier.

If it's in between, shiat gets ugly.

/it'll probably be in between
//groan
 
2020-02-21 1:47:27 PM  
I would appreciate it if the DNC went ahead and nominated the candidate with the most pledged delegates based on the results of the state races?

Besides, what's the worst that could happen? I mean, besides a repeat of McGovern v Nixon?
 
2020-02-21 1:48:01 PM  
I think the majority opinion among Democrats right now is "Whatever wins in November. But I'm not a fortune teller and I can't tell you who best can do that." I think the very large middle will take Bernie or Bloomberg or any of the candidates coontil you get down to Gabbard).
The people on the edges who won't accept compromise are a (dangerous) minority.
 
2020-02-21 1:48:16 PM  

odinsposse: The problem with a contested primary is that it sucks either way. If Bernie had the most delegates but that only amounts to 25% of the total delegates then the people who voted for the other 75% would also be right to be mad that their candidate is someone they didn't pick. Which is why they have to then debate and suss out who everyone's #2 or #3 pick is until they get someone most people can agree on.


That's all fine and good, until you get 500 "super" delegates distorting what "most people" want.
 
2020-02-21 1:48:21 PM  

Pocket Ninja: If you don't understand why this doesn't represent a very real possibility of something that could happen, subby, you need to start paying a little more attention to things.


A rare, non-sarcastic post...

/or is it?
 
2020-02-21 1:48:53 PM  

odinsposse: FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.

The problem with a contested primary is that it sucks either way. If Bernie had the most delegates but that only amounts to 25% of the total delegates then the people who voted for the other 75% would also be right to be mad that their candidate is someone they didn't pick. Which is why they have to then debate and suss out who everyone's #2 or #3 pick is until they get someone most people can agree on.


The 25% is almost certainly an incorrect figure.  Once we get to Super Tuesday and the winner take all primaries, the # is, assuming nothing else changes, more like 40% at the minimum.  The correct answer for the never Bernie crowd is actually what Bloomberg suggested (except for the particular candidate), drop now and throw support behind another moderate.  But, none of those candidates can bring themselves to do it.  Klob and Pete are locked in a grudge match.  Biden just doesn't get that his time has passed.  Warren's terrible instincts are gonna leave her in the race for too long.  Support will never coalesce behind any single non-Bernie candidate because of the personality flaws of the other candidates.
 
2020-02-21 1:49:28 PM  

Aar1012: FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.

This happens and Trumps wins re-election

"Progressives showed they can't be trusted to show up and vote. I am very smart"


It happened in 2016, and the loudest ones are still proud of it.
 
2020-02-21 1:49:46 PM  
odinsposse:

If Bernie had the most delegates but that only amounts to 25% of the total delegates then the people who voted for the other 75% would also be right to be mad that their candidate is someone they didn't pick.

Sanders isn't going to the convention with anything short of a large plurality of convention delegates.  A situation where he only gets 25% between now and the convention is extremely unlikely given he's set to sweep most of the Super Tuesday contests.
 
2020-02-21 1:50:08 PM  
Sorry, Mike, I already voted against you in the March 3 primary.
 
2020-02-21 1:50:55 PM  

DammitIForgotMyLogin: I wonder what would happen if Sanders released a statement saying that, if he wins the most delegates but the DNC fix the nomination, he'll just run as an independent


He can't, for the same reasons as Bloomberg: sore loser laws
 
2020-02-21 1:52:34 PM  

Any Pie Left: Bloomberg's most useful act would be to fully fund Amy M. in her bid to unseat Mitch McConnell. It would be a higher service to the nation than serving as President.  We'd name schools after him.


Yeah, because Democratic voters love it when their candidates are "fully funded" by a single billionaire

There's also the small problem that it's illegal for a single person to give more than $2800 to a campaign, which is just a smidge short of "fully funded" for a modern high-profile Senate race
 
2020-02-21 1:53:13 PM  

odinsposse: FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.

The problem with a contested primary is that it sucks either way. If Bernie had the most delegates but that only amounts to 25% of the total delegates then the people who voted for the other 75% would also be right to be mad that their candidate is someone they didn't pick. Which is why they have to then debate and suss out who everyone's #2 or #3 pick is until they get someone most people can agree on.


Yeah, big difference between Bernie with 48% and Bernie below 30%
 
2020-02-21 1:54:24 PM  
Break out the checkbook Mr. Bloomberg.
 
2020-02-21 1:55:13 PM  

qorkfiend: Any Pie Left: Bloomberg's most useful act would be to fully fund Amy M. in her bid to unseat Mitch McConnell. It would be a higher service to the nation than serving as President.  We'd name schools after him.

Yeah, because Democratic voters love it when their candidates are "fully funded" by a single billionaire

There's also the small problem that it's illegal for a single person to give more than $2800 to a campaign, which is just a smidge short of "fully funded" for a modern high-profile Senate race


It is possible to set up a Super PAC to support her or anybody else and spend unlimited funds via it, as long as you do not coordinate with the campaign directly.
 
2020-02-21 1:56:26 PM  

wage0048: Sorry, Mike, I already voted against you in the March 3 primary.


The DNC: that's cute. You "voted".
 
2020-02-21 1:56:26 PM  

Geotpf: qorkfiend: Any Pie Left: Bloomberg's most useful act would be to fully fund Amy M. in her bid to unseat Mitch McConnell. It would be a higher service to the nation than serving as President.  We'd name schools after him.

Yeah, because Democratic voters love it when their candidates are "fully funded" by a single billionaire

There's also the small problem that it's illegal for a single person to give more than $2800 to a campaign, which is just a smidge short of "fully funded" for a modern high-profile Senate race

It is possible to set up a Super PAC to support her or anybody else and spend unlimited funds via it, as long as you do not coordinate with the campaign directly.


Which still runs afoul of #1 there
 
2020-02-21 1:56:55 PM  

bthom37: odinsposse: FlashHarry: If Bernie is leading in delegates come summer and someone else is nominated in some back-room deal, his supporters will go absolutely apeshiat. And they'll be right to.

The problem with a contested primary is that it sucks either way. If Bernie had the most delegates but that only amounts to 25% of the total delegates then the people who voted for the other 75% would also be right to be mad that their candidate is someone they didn't pick. Which is why they have to then debate and suss out who everyone's #2 or #3 pick is until they get someone most people can agree on.

The 25% is almost certainly an incorrect figure.  Once we get to Super Tuesday and the winner take all primaries, the # is, assuming nothing else changes, more like 40% at the minimum.  The correct answer for the never Bernie crowd is actually what Bloomberg suggested (except for the particular candidate), drop now and throw support behind another moderate.  But, none of those candidates can bring themselves to do it.  Klob and Pete are locked in a grudge match.  Biden just doesn't get that his time has passed.  Warren's terrible instincts are gonna leave her in the race for too long.  Support will never coalesce behind any single non-Bernie candidate because of the personality flaws of the other candidates.


There are exactly zero "winner take all" primaries
 
2020-02-21 1:57:56 PM  
I look forward to seeing a big overlap between Democratic politicos who biatched about the inherent unfairness of the electoral college in 2016 and those who in 2020 will tell Sanders that he should have won a majority of delegates if he wanted the nomination.
 
2020-02-21 1:59:19 PM  

Murkanen: Sanders isn't going to the convention with anything short of a large plurality of convention delegates. A situation where he only gets 25% between now and the convention is extremely unlikely given he's set to sweep most of the Super Tuesday contests.


Since you have certain knowledge of the future, how about some stock market tips and lottery numbers while you're at it.
 
2020-02-21 2:00:00 PM  

Scythed: I look forward to seeing a big overlap between Democratic politicos who biatched about the inherent unfairness of the electoral college in 2016 and those who in 2020 will tell Sanders that he should have won a majority of delegates if he wanted the nomination.


It's already been happening.

"The EC needs to be abolished"
"Well the DNC is a private institution and can make their own rules, go cry about it"
 
2020-02-21 2:04:36 PM  
He's willing to buy out Bernie. Bernie can be bought, as demonstrated by one of his houses being paid for by Hillary Clinton after the money filtered through a few things.
 
2020-02-21 2:05:38 PM  
Bloomberg's entrance into the fray seemed to coincide with the increasing possibility that Sanders might get the nod (though I would not be surprised if the Dems have contingencies to try to prevent this).  Sanders poses a real threat to the ultra-elite's current gravy train.  All other candidates play lip service at most; except for perhaps Warren but she would be considered a paint gun while Sanders might be a claymore - assuming the Dems keep the House and take the Senate.

In all honesty, it looks like the Dems will take the Senate and keep the House (IF PEOPLE MAKE SURE TO GET OUT AND VOTE.)  This would mean if a Dem was elected President, they would have great ability to institute change (especially if Ruth Ginsberg can stick around long enough so McConnell cannot fast track an ultra-conservative to her seat).   If said Democrat was Bernie Sanders, then Bloomberg stands to lose quite a bit more money than the money he is spending on his campaign.  Sanders is getting enough of a backing that it is very probable that a certain Cheeto-faced will be tweeting like a drunken abusive man texting his exes at 1:00pm on a lonely Saturday night come early morning of November 4, 2020.

Thus, Bloomberg's ultimate objective is to have anyone else be the Democratic nominee.

By the way, if Bernie is named the candidate it is going to be one hell of an uphill.  Remember that most of the media outlets (Print, TV, Radio) are owned by a handful people who stand to lose a lot should Doc Brown's older brother sit in the Oval Office.

Should make for an interesting election season.
 
2020-02-21 2:06:44 PM  

bluejeansonfire: That's exactly what the DNC wants to happen.

A brokered convention is where "eenie, meenie, miney, Bloomberg" happens. Followed by "What are the odds! What a glorious day. Sorry Bernie, go retire."

The Democratic Party elite doesn't want good things to happen. They don't want a candidate who represents a pivotal turning point in making American society better. They don't want the will of the voters to prevail.

They want money.

If a brokered convention is forced, I will be furious, and so should all of you. If they take the nomination from the candidate with the most delegates to this point, I will be furious, and so should all of you.

If the Democratic Party makes Bloomberg their nominee, they will have officially become the antithesis of their supposed beliefs. I refuse to vote for Bloomberg, I'm not sorry at all, I'm quite proud of my stance on that, and I will encourage everyone I know to not vote if Bloomberg is the nominee.

If you are so eager to get rid of Trump that you arbitrarily nominate someone worse than Trump above the will of the voters, I refuse to support you ever again, and I hope the riots will be plentiful and intense.


I think the second most pants-on-head thing I've read on farkpol in recent months (aside from the stream of stupid from novelty accounts and alternate opinion discussion-fosterers) is "if there isn't a candidate with enough delegates for the nomination going into the convention, the candidate should be chosen from among everyone except the candidate with the most delegates*."

*provided that candidate happens to be the one whom that account spends 16 hours a day on fark railing and butthurt over.
 
Displayed 50 of 99 comments


Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | » | Newest | Show all


View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking




On Twitter




In Other Media
  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.