Fark Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): Photoshop ContestsBack to top of FAQ
How do I enter Photoshop contests?
Before you get started, make sure to read the Posting Rules. Entries that invite or could result in unwanted legal/law-enforcement attention will be deleted as well.
To participate in Fark Photoshop contests you will need only the following five things:
- A Fark account
- Image Editing software compatible with your OS (Adobe Photoshop/Creative Suite, The GIMP, Corel Draw/Painter, etc.) Fark.com does not endorse any specific product. These are just examples.
- A reliable image host. Chances are you already have one - your own ISP. File hosting is included with your monthly service charges. Fark.com does not promote any of these hosting providers in particular, but a couple of examples are Flickr and Photobucket. You'll need something that can handle at least 5 to 10 gigabytes of transfer per month.
- An understanding of Basic Farking HTML
- An image that is within Fark's file size limits. (The exact numbers are at the bottom of this document)
Most image editing software comes with helpful tutorials. If you can't find exactly what you are looking for, try the following links. Some are free, some are not. Your mileage may vary.
There are help and tutorial sites provided by software creators/vendors themselves:
Other informative sites include:
The Fark Photoshop/Audio Edit Forum is also an excellent source for advice. If you have questions regarding your Photoshop such as "Is it within the boundaries of acceptable?" drop in the Photoshop Forum and ask. At least one mod is there most of the time and they'll be able to answer your questions. When in doubt, especially about Safe For Work/Not Safe For Work entries - ask before you post.
Additional Photoshop requirements that are not covered by the Posting Rules:
- Unmodified results of image searches (Google et al) that you have not altered do not count as "Photoshopped" images and are not valid entries. This includes images that are merely resized using the Photoshop program (but are otherwise unmodified).
- Images created with text generators do not count as photoshopped images. The same applies to text-only changes (or things like text balloons).
- Images that do not include the original contest image (or parts of it) will be removed.
- Place-holders for NSFW images are fine, but are not for commentary on Fark's posting rules or policies.
- Images that are broken (or break at a later point) will be deleted.
- When you post your image, don't forget to click the enable voting button for your entry.
Additional Photoshop etiquette items:
- It's a good idea to test your ability to link images before you post your contest entry. Use the Scratchpad to test in.
- Please note that it is frowned upon to enable voting on an entry that builds on a previous Farker's work (whether it's in a "Photoshop tennis" or not.)
- Refresh threads before submitting. While nothing prohibits you from posting an entry that is visually similar to one already posted by someone else, you may wish not to enable voting as a courtesy.
- While "taste" is not a prerequisite for participation, it's still a good idea to check these guidelines every time you consider posting something that might be offensive.
- Tip - In newer versions of Photoshop the "Save for Web" option under the file menu is your best bet for keeping file sizes manageable. Most posted images are between 40-60 KB; please consider linking your image if it's larger than 70KB. Our viewers still stuck with dial-up will thank you.
- Images which exceed 500KB will be automatically rejected. Entries larger than 850 pixels wide or 1500 pixels tall will be scaled proportionally to a maximum of 850 x 1500... but it will look far better, and will much more easily fit in the file size limit, if you rescale it yourself first.