Host: Mr. Fuzzypaws
Description: Bowling For Rhinos. Transit Lanes, Williamsville, New York. August 22, 7pm
Date/Time: August 22, 2014 - 07:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: On Friday August 22nd, from 7pm to 10pm, the Buffalo Zoo zoo keepers will be holding their annual Bowling For Rhinos fundraiser at Transit Lanes in Williamsville. All of the proceeds go to help conservation organizations to help protect rhinos and other endangered species.

They'll have all the standard fundraiser fare. Basket raffles, 50/50, auctions, etc. I happen to know that one of the items up for grabs is a 40" TV.

But most importantly there will be bowling. The event has the entire alley for the night. 50 plus lanes. Plenty of room for everybody.

The cost is $30 for bowlers, $20 for non-bowlers. Bowlers get shoe rental and 3 games of bowling. Everyone gets a pizza and wing buffet. There is a bar on site.

Come out and make an ass of yourself and see if you can get lowest score!

---

Bowling For Rhinos:

Registration Info:
https://sites.google.com/a/buffalozoo.org/bowlingforrhinos/home/regis t ration

Transit Lanes
7850 Transit Road
Williamsville, New York
14221

1953 clicks; posted to Main » on 22 Aug 2014 at 7:59 AM (3 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

2014-07-29 03:41:29 PM
Friendly wagering is not only expected, but encouraged.

2014-07-29 03:47:46 PM

2014-07-29 03:47:50 PM
I read this as Bowling for RINO's which is something completely different.

2014-07-29 03:51:59 PM

Mr. Murder: Are there a lot of farkers in that area?  To me, Buffalo seems so remote and isolated from the rest of the country.

I have about 150 Farkers farkied as locals. But I consider southern Ontario local also. And who knows how many are still active.

2014-07-29 04:00:49 PM
It'll take a hell of a big ball to knock ten rhinos down.

2014-07-29 04:01:34 PM
Now, "Bowling for winos" would be much easier, and more fun.

2014-07-29 04:10:09 PM
I imagine a rhino would get mighty pissed getting struck with a bowling ball.
They're rather irritable as it is  - without any sporting equipment being flung at them.

2014-07-29 04:12:45 PM
I think I might make this one.

2014-07-29 04:31:54 PM
You're on the wrong side of the state dadgummit!

2014-07-29 04:45:55 PM

johnryan51: I think I might make this one.

I keep saying this but I love bowling so maybe I will.

2014-07-29 05:48:22 PM

CommieTaoist: Now, "Bowling for winos" would be much easier, and more fun.

Yea, they fall over much easier.

2014-07-29 05:53:08 PM

/lives in south central PA

2014-07-29 05:57:40 PM
Hmmm maybe.
/lives in Lewiston
//UB alumni

2014-07-29 06:25:40 PM

Krustofsky: Sadly, I would need a Star Trek transporter device to attend, but it sounds like a cool event.

/lives in south central PA

Same here. Former area resident -- was just up there for Canal Fest!!!

/currently in Athens GA
//it's drivable though
///work stuff blah blah blah

2014-07-29 06:29:31 PM

2014-07-29 06:37:51 PM

gweilo8888: Is it just me, or does "Bowling for Rhinos" sound like the title of the next big, contrived Hollywood movie that everybody will refuse to stop talking about around the water cooler?

HEY!  wait for the trailer to review the entire movie!

2014-07-29 06:39:18 PM

img.fark.net

2014-07-29 06:50:30 PM
I read this as there are 10 rhinos in the passing lane of the highway that you try to knock over.

2014-07-29 06:59:16 PM

jbc [TotalFark]
2014-07-29 07:04:08 PM
If it's like the "Bowling For Dollars" game show from the 70s, I can't wait for "Tic-Tac-Dingo".

2014-07-29 07:07:24 PM
You work at the zoo, don't you?
*squints*

/Buffalonian
//Two aunts working at the Zoo

2014-07-29 07:08:46 PM
I'd love to go, but I'm in exile in Pittsburgh. :(

2014-07-29 07:14:01 PM

This. You set them up, I'll find a ball.

2014-07-29 07:15:43 PM

phalaeo: I'd love to go, but I'm in exile in Pittsburgh. :(

thats ok, most buffalo farkers are in exile and they live in buffalo.

2014-07-29 07:16:22 PM

phalaeo: You work at the zoo, don't you?
*squints*

Yes, I do. But this doesn't benefit the zoo. It's for rhinos in the wild.

2014-07-29 07:37:03 PM

Mr. Fuzzypaws: Someone should make an App. Steer a rhino down a stretch of freeway avoiding cars and into a set of bowling pins. Have it motion controlled and give the rhino a lot of weight.

I'll get right on that! just as soon as I figure out how to draw a cartoon rhino in Inkscape....it might look more like a pink blob with eyes. Will that work too?

Sounds like a fun idea but I won't be in the Can-Am GTO/Buffalo area that timeframe. Have a hoot for me!!

2014-07-29 08:10:55 PM

WelldeadLink: I read this as there are 10 rhinos in the passing lane of the highway that you try to knock over.

This. You set them up, I'll find a ball.

Push a Smart Car with an Escalade?

2014-07-29 08:15:31 PM

2014-07-29 09:22:06 PM
Haha, I hadn't heard that euphemism for hooking up with Tfettes.

Slu
2014-07-29 09:28:35 PM
We are doing a charity bowling tourney at Transit Lanes the very next day.

The Dude Hates Cancer - a Big Lebowski themed bowling tourney that raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. We raised over $50K last year and have raised over $400K since the campaign has started in now three cities. It is lots of fun.

Check us out: http://buffalo.thedudehatescancer.com

2014-07-29 10:01:44 PM

Yep! My friends bowl in a league there. The bartending kind of sucks now, but I got really drunk there a lot this weekend.

2014-07-29 10:14:14 PM

cameroncrazy1984: Make Way For Ducklings: Ah, Transit Lanes. Is the Kegler's Lounge still there? I'm about 4 hours away. Grew up in Clarence, Land of the flea market and lawn jockey.

By that I mean winter.

2014-07-29 10:49:33 PM

Slu: As to your event, I was lucky enough to get to have rhino encounter with my daughter at the zoo that also raises money for the same cause. Seeing the rhinos in their barn up close and seeing Monica before she was on exhibit was totally worth it. This is a great cause and sounds like a ton of fun. If I can get my parents to watch the kids two nights in a row I will come out.

We must have already met. I was on a rhino encounter right before Monica was on exhibit and someone mentioned having an event there, too. Pretty sure it was a cancer fundraiser they were talking about.

Hope to see you there!

2014-08-02 11:08:52 PM
BUMP

hey fuzz,
we unofficially have 4 going, but trying to recruit more by quoting all the stuff i can remember from our Rhino 101 lecture.  i have found that leading off with pics and vid of momma and baby coupled with how amazing their story is, then throwing out some depressing facts (100 people a year die in an attempt to stop poachers), and then piling on good news (bowling), after good news (bar), after good news (baskets, 50/50, prizes), after good news (giving money means youre a good person!), really works.

see ya there!

2014-08-03 01:35:31 AM

craigzy: BUMP

hey fuzz,

see ya there!

Hey, man, whatever works. It will be a good time.

2014-08-08 08:28:25 PM
Only 2 weeks to register. There are a lot of spots that need to be taken. They want 350 and the last I heard they had 50.

There are a Farkton of Frakers out there locally. Don't puss out.

2014-08-08 09:14:00 PM
Williamsville, NY.  Not too often my hometown shows up in a Fark thread.

2014-08-08 11:14:10 PM
img.fark.net

2014-08-16 01:00:40 AM
Wow it is really weird to see a shout to the old, old stomping grounds.  I moved from East Amherst back in the late 80s but my brother has lived in Williamsville since 92 and all three of his kids graduated from Williamsville, ummmmmmm... East?

Doc Daneeka: Williamsville, NY.  Not too often my hometown shows up in a Fark thread.

No kidding!

2014-08-18 06:29:20 PM
4 days left to pre-register. I asked today and they had about 150 registered so far.

THEY WILL BE DOING REGISTRATIONS AT THE DOOR. So don't think you're out of luck if you decide to go while leaving work on Friday. But if you want to reserve a lane for your team they'd like you to ante up now. I believe registration begins at 6pm.

2014-08-21 09:17:30 PM

Mr. Fuzzypaws: And remember, you can always come and just hang out and fatten up on a pizza and wing buffet.

Maybe I should go, I missed Winos In The Wild at The Zoo because I waited too long to get tix. Even though I am on vacation starting tomorrow this will be a last minute decision. Where are the wings coming from any idea?

2014-08-21 10:02:18 PM

wrenchboy: Where are the wings coming from any idea?

Not a clue.

2014-08-21 10:27:17 PM
see yall tomorrow night!!!

2014-08-22 08:08:19 AM

phalaeo: You work at the zoo, don't you?
*squints*

/Buffalonian
//Two aunts working at the Zoo

It fits. Buffalo-area Farkers are a bunch of animals.

I'll try to make it provided Mrs. Phamwaa has recovered from our dinner at Western Door.

/Sticks-dweller
//We have a tenant who works at the Zoo; go Paco!

2014-08-22 08:25:06 AM
Has there ever been a FARK bowling party ever?  Because that is the most kick ass idea for a FARK party I've ever seen.

/Shades of Lebowski

2014-08-22 11:02:10 AM
Is misogyny banned?  Fark is one thing, but real life is quite another.

2014-08-22 02:49:05 PM
Silly people, Rhinos don't bowl.

All of the shoes are always ten sizes two big or designed to fit bush-babies, just like for everybody else.

2014-08-23 01:05:05 AM
had a blast.  cant wait for next year.