Host: Incorrigible Astronaut
Description: It's time for a long overdue KC Fark Party, Sat. June 21 @ The Levee near The Plaza
Date/Time: June 21, 2014 - 07:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: Facebook Page- https://www.facebook.com/events/1408025889443839

We'll be hosting a little shindig at The Levee (between Westport and The Plaza) in June, with a possible pre-party at Power and Light the night before. Come down, get some Oklahoma Joe's, drink some Boulevard, then stumble are the Plaza with us and try to avoid peeing in the fountains.

Several people have mentioned carpooling from other states (or even making a little vacation out of it to see the World War I museum, the college basketball hall of fame, etc) so it should be a great time.

We're reserving a spot for up to 40 people on the condition that we knock out $300 between food and booze that night- piece of cake for Farkers, right?

Location: The Levee
16 W 43rd St
Kansas City, MO 64111

(view map)

3109 clicks; posted to Main » on 21 Jun 2014 at 9:59 AM (18 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all

2014-01-11 10:13:13 PM
Power & Light is overpriced, and unpleasant to drive into / out of...and that's coming from an ex-cab driver. Speaking of that: if you're staying on the Kansas side, the Missouri cabbies will charge you extra for crossing the state line, some BS about their regulated industry not being regulated once they cross that line giving them the right to gouge customers. Also a cautionary footnote to the P&L for out-of-towners: for the love of the FSM or whatever other deity you may believe in, stay in the brightly lit area! They carved a piece out of some not so nice parts of town, lit the crap out of them, and started heavily patrolling them - this doesn't mean the streets are tourist-safe, once they're outside of that overly-bright glow.

Waldo doesn't have the best parking, but it does have a great vibe, and decent prices. Also, Waldo Pizza, and Tasso's is also nearby, if you like Greek food.

The Plaza can be on the expensive side, but it's pedestrian-friendly, fairly well patrolled, and has lots of parking garages.

Legends is okay for the bar scene, but it's better for food and shopping during the day - Cabela's for outdoor enthusiasts (we probably have one or two Farkers who secretly don't abhor fresh air and sunshine...), Nebraska Furniture Mart and tons of other shops for those of us who like our nature safely encased behind glass.

Addressing a couple of specific comments: I do not personally know of anyplace that does naked BBQ sauce wrestling, but if you have enough money, and look in the right odd places, you might get lucky - one possible place to ask around would be Missie B's, they seem to be a fairly tolerant crowd, and might be able to point you towards the stranger side of things. As for people from the internet being weird - you do realize you're reading this on FARK? I like to think of this as a place where eccentrics and flat-out weirdos can gleefully enjoy the oddities of life, and general stupidity of the majority of the human race, with the occasional happy-tear-jerker story about rescued kitties - just in time for Caturday!

PS: If any of you coming in from out of town can identify the weird looking things on top of Bartle Hall...please tell us what they are, we still can't figure it out.

2014-01-11 11:39:35 PM
Bad things happen when I go ti Kansas City, so no can do.

2014-01-13 04:17:56 PM

polyhedron collider: Also a cautionary footnote to the P&L for out-of-towners: for the love of the FSM or whatever other deity you may believe in, stay in the brightly lit area! They carved a piece out of some not so nice parts of town, lit the crap out of them, and started heavily patrolling them - this doesn't mean the streets are tourist-safe, once they're outside of that overly-bright glow.

There's nothing wrong with downtown. Now you go south and east a couple miles and it gets hairy, but again, for the most part, if you're not being an idiot, you're fine. But downtown is fine.

polyhedron collider: Westport can get really crowded, but as a result, it's more pedestrian-friendly than car-friendly. A very large number of bars are across the streets from one another there, including historical Kelly's Westport Inn.

You're far more apt to have something bad happen in Westport, than you are downtown.

2014-01-17 07:02:43 AM
KC is a hop, skip, and jump for me, but i may be going to a music festival that weekend.
i will flag this event as tentative.

2014-01-17 08:59:04 AM

2014-01-25 12:02:40 AM

Incorrigible Astronaut: Hey guys, we're moving this back a couple of weeks so that we're not bumping right up against the St. Louis party.

Mid-MO Farkers must be ecstatic, it's like 1985 all over again.

/will hang a WELCOME FARKERS banner on the Midway overpass
//speaking of that, my mom recently finished redecorating the Midway Truck Plaza diner
///As seen on TV

2014-01-25 07:48:06 PM
Would love to attend but am performing for a summer solstice show in the Ozarks. Hoping I don't get swallowed up by a sink hole. Godspeed.

2014-02-25 03:43:34 AM
Instead, it should be on Sun. Mar. 16 after Planet Comic-Con, and someone should talk Wil & Co. into coming.

2014-02-25 03:48:43 AM

/may be from the Internet

I have to drive through Lawrence from Topeka, so that's do-able depending on how many other Farkers I have to drag along.

2014-02-25 03:53:44 AM

DON.MAC: ChipNASA: Do you guys all get naked and cover yourselves in BBQ sauce and writhe around in a big pile?

What goes on at fark Parties stays at fark parties.

There were a few lurkers at the last DFW party I went to.  More when Drew shows up.  I think the key to getting Drew there is get a radio host to interview him or have a good sports event in town that day.

Seriously? Hm.. Let me look into some things, get a hold of some people. It might be early enough that I can see if I can pull some strings

2014-05-07 09:58:11 PM
So, here's an idea... the Royals play the Mariners at 1:10 that day, which I'm guessing should have more than a few cheap seats available. Who's up for getting a small block of tickets and going before the party gets started?

2014-05-21 08:12:05 PM
For out-of-towners: Mapquest is your friend. Mapquest to and from any location in KC as there aren't always corresponding on-ramps at the same place as the off-ramps. Or risk getting lost in Kansas City forever. Choose wisely.

2014-05-21 08:12:15 PM

/Why did I spend 10 minutes checking my grammar?
//Just realizing I have a problem, why I'm a lurker.
///Still worried I screwed it up.

Being a local lurker is even worse. I get the sweats even thinking about social pressure. Or maybe its our humidity.

2014-05-21 08:44:59 PM
Dammit! Olathe here but I'm on a float trip that weekend.

2014-05-21 09:54:08 PM
Sounds like a good time to me, I've always wanted to meet freaks like me.

2014-05-21 09:56:09 PM

Jorducci: donutsauce: How do lurkers fare at these?  Are we denied entry, ridiculed, and/or beaten?

/Why did I spend 10 minutes checking my grammar?
//Just realizing I have a problem, why I'm a lurker.
///Still worried I screwed it up.

You guys'll be fine. It's just a group of people having a beer or two- given the small-ish amount of RSVPs on the Facebook page and size of the venue, I probably won't even make a reservation- just look for the table with nametags.

2014-05-21 10:58:47 PM
If there was just one in Lawrence...  Waldo is so hard to get home from with a.5 bac.

2014-05-21 11:07:35 PM
I'm local.  Might be down.  Waldo Pizza is a decent place.  Never been to The Well but if the longtime locals like it, that would be ok.

Also, unless there's a Sporting KC in the mix, avoid Legends.  It's just a crap ton of shopping and chain restaurants.

2014-05-22 12:08:44 AM
The atmosphere at a Sporting KC match is amazing, the fans are incredible and that stadium is totally first class.  If you are in town and the least bit inclined to see a match, go!  Everyones comments on the various entertainment districts have pretty much matched my experiences, Tasso's Greek Restaurant has a belly dancer that is totally hot and must be a vampire or something because there are photos of her from decades ago and she still looks exactly the same.  It's a great place to smash plates, Ommpa!

2014-05-22 12:13:44 AM
Gonna have to make this happen. mitch, we're crashing on your couch.

2014-05-22 12:48:09 AM

brobinson2001: Windfoxie: If I can swing transportation to and from Lawrence... I miiight come. People from the Internet are weird.

/may be from the Internet

Thanks! Lemme see how the work/money situation looks in a week or two... Memorial Day weekend may force some austerity in June.

2014-05-22 06:53:55 AM
I do manufacturing on a shift rotation, so I might have to work the next morning. We'll see.

2014-05-22 07:37:51 AM

www.gannett-cdn.com
schlitterblog.com

2014-05-22 10:53:21 AM
Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun, FTW, folks!

Also: It will be either cold as hell or hot as hell (probably the latter) when you visit. Dress accordingly.

Kansas City has PLENTY of parking EVERYWHERE. And most of it's free.

- The things on top of Bartle Hall are alien restrooms. Everyone knows that.

- Yes, the "Power & White District" WILL mug you. Also, don't bother going if you wear baggy clothes. Or don't have lily-white skin. Or are over the age of reason. It truly sucks.

- Westport is for the 20s-30s crowd. Casual or dress-up, just like most anywhere in town.

- Country Club Plaza is for those (young or old) who have money (they were called "yuppies" in my day, onion belt and all) or for people who just want to walk around a pretty part of town in a safe environment (okay, it's safe during the DAY, anyway; the kids all come out at night, so GTFO or suffer from your poor decisionmaking after dark).

If "The Well" isn't your crowd:
- Waldo Pizza is less than half a block away (best pizza in town, for those of you from Chicago/New York, but we have PLENTY of pizza places around).
- Blues, booze and barbecue float your boat? "B.B.'s Lawnside Barbecue" is on 85th Street (about a mile or so from The Well). Live music, cheap drinks and the best blues jukebox in town (since the Grand Emporium closed down some years ago).
- Breakfast: Plenty of choices, but Georgie Porgie's (103rd and Wornall, just a few miles south of The Well) breakfasts are NOT to be missed.

Those of you who aren't drunk (hey, there's plenty of other in Kansas City, BUT IT'S ILLEGAL SO LOOK OUT!!!) can crash at my shiatty house. (No drunks because I am NOT cleaning that up, kids!)

2014-05-22 01:51:54 PM
I didn't know Farmers existed in the KC area./ Lees Summit

2014-05-22 02:12:18 PM

What happened, anyway? Bijou Theater one day, drunk farmers children the next.

2014-05-22 09:46:44 PM

What happened, anyway? Bijou Theater one day, drunk farmers children the next.

Come one, Westport isn't as bad as it was ten years ago.  Which ain't saying shiat, but it's sure cleaned itself up since that moron kid got way too drunk, got knocked over and died while other morons walked around him.

2014-05-23 07:23:23 AM

AtticusFinchEsq: Meesterjojo: Oh, Westport, how you have fallen. But hey, it's good to see the rural inhabitants are discovering city life with gateway venues such as The Well.

What happened, anyway? Bijou Theater one day, drunk farmers children the next.

The one really positive thing about the P&L/CBE tourist trap is that it took the bros out of Westport and The Crossroads. Remember Johnny Dare's? Ugh.

2014-05-23 10:13:21 AM
Hotel reservation has been made. No guarantee yet but I'm 90% sure I'll be there.

2014-05-31 07:01:11 PM

[www.gannett-cdn.com image 534x401]
[schlitterblog.com image 850x476]

Looks like they just delayed the opening again. Some namby-pamby thinks it needs testing, or something.

2014-05-31 07:14:09 PM
Been waiting for this for a while now.  Let's make it happen

2014-05-31 08:12:31 PM
I might be interested in that. I could definitely go for a stop at Arthur Bryant's while I was there.

Anybody passing through Cedar Rapids/Iowa City?

2014-05-31 10:45:46 PM

[www.gannett-cdn.com image 534x401]
[schlitterblog.com image 850x476]

June 29th? Motherf*cker. There go those plans. Than again, drunk farkers and a giant waterslide probably aren't the best of combinations.

2014-06-01 12:38:18 AM
Not that far from the oddest town in the area. Any other Peculiar farkers?Waldo is great, especially for a pub crawl!

hej
2014-06-01 10:04:59 AM

Dear Jerk: I don't know if was last KC Fark party, the KCMO snobs got all uppity about having it at the Legends.

Well, KCK is incredibly redneck, which is a bit antithetical to Fark culture.

2014-06-01 12:38:09 PM

Incorrigible Astronaut: rumpelstiltskin: Incorrigible Astronaut: As I'm coming in from out of town, I'm going to make a full weekend out of it by hitting P&L/Howl at the Moon Friday, Royals/Mariners, The Plaza Saturday, and the Legends/giant farking water slide of death on Sunday, because reasons.

[www.gannett-cdn.com image 534x401]
[schlitterblog.com image 850x476]

2014-06-01 12:40:48 PM
I live minutes away from Waldo so I'll be there IF I don't get relocated in the next month (possible job on the east coast).

Tasso's is the best Greek food I've ever had, btw.

2014-06-01 12:45:37 PM

Nope. Wouldn't ride that water slide knowing that someone like me is making the calculations that determine whether you live or die.

2014-06-01 12:56:41 PM

Wow... it's turning into KC's version of Action Park.

2014-06-01 07:22:43 PM
I was at the Well a few days ago.  My food was very good.

2014-06-01 08:46:00 PM
I'll be there!

2014-06-01 10:18:56 PM
Only 1800 miles. Hmmmm.

2014-06-02 12:15:38 AM
It's my Birthday weekend. If the wife doesn't have some thoughtful surprise planned, I might head over. Considering going to the K on Sunday.

2014-06-02 09:17:23 AM

Incorrigible Astronaut: rumpelstiltskin: Watching the coverage of the opening on the news, it seems some caution may be in order. I get the impression a bunch of dudes just got together and said, "Let's build a million foot high waterslide!" "Cool!" And then after it was almost ready, someone asked, "Are people going to die when they get to the bottom?" And the designers looked at each other and said, "We'll get back to you on that." I don't think the question had ever occurred to them. There have been some design changes at the bottom of the drop, and now they need to do some more testing.

Wow... it's turning into KC's version of Action Park.

You have no idea how right you are.

I worked on the initial design phase of the waterpark and the corners they asked us to cut were far and wide, way beyond anything I'd ever experienced. Safety takes a back seat to efficiency and lowest cost, there are no hydraulic engineers involved (let alone sound fluid dynamicsl, and the now famous line "we do this in Texas, so it must be ok".

Simply put... I don't let my kids go there.

2014-06-05 07:23:56 AM
Sounds like a good time. I will keep an eye on the thread.

2014-06-05 07:45:25 AM
Working all that weekend, so no dice for me. Maybe next time.

kth
2014-06-05 08:56:40 AM
Only a block away. Hmmm...

hej
2014-06-05 09:10:56 AM

2014-06-05 09:52:08 AM
As long as my band and/or my crush's band isn't playing a show that night, I'll come hang out. It is SO hard to get Kansas Citians out of their comfort zones sometimes. (Never been to the Well, as I fully admit that I used to be a Midtown/Crossroads-only hipster.)

/if we are playing a show, don't come. Unless you like queers yelling at you about making out

2014-06-05 10:22:29 AM

hej: Will there be a sign of some sort, or should I just walk in and yell "I'M HERE FOR THE FARK PARTY"

We'll have nametags and such, and I can't imagine that there will be a lot of 20+ person tables. We'll also probably be pretty drunk.

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all