Host: Skyday
Description: FARK party in Chicago. Monday, October 7. Going to the Art Museum, getting pizza and drinking (OF COURSE). Woo
Date/Time: October 7, 2013 - 10:00 AM (local time)
Party Info: HOST: Skyday

The party is ALL DAY at a few places:

We can meet up for brunch somewhere then we are going to the art museum.

CURRENT EXHIBITIONS:

This art museum rocks, it has armor and swords and all kinds of awesomeness aside from the obvious collection of traditional paintings, etc.

Next we are going to get PIZZA! I believe Bukharin has this place already picked out since he is local.

Finally, we need a bar. Any suggestions?

BTW, this is all day. People may come and go as they please.

~Skyday

1087 clicks; posted to Main » on 06 Oct 2013 at 10:59 PM (41 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

2013-10-01 05:51:28 PM
Suggestions for bars welcome!!  The art museum is a must.  <3

2013-10-01 05:54:20 PM
Just when I thought this day couldn't get any better.

2013-10-01 05:57:21 PM
Fark party. On a Monday. At 10 am. I see large attendance for this one.

2013-10-01 05:57:55 PM

ami5000: Fark party. On a Monday. At 10 am. I see large attendance for this one.

If you read it's all day :P

2013-10-01 05:58:32 PM
Skyday promoting daytime drinking? This is crazy!

2013-10-01 05:59:11 PM

Skyday: If you read it's all day :P

Oh yeah that makes a world of difference! My bad!

2013-10-01 06:00:11 PM
Can I vote against this?

2013-10-01 06:00:18 PM

I'm too lazy to look because I'm not actually going to fly to Chicago for a Fark party.

2013-10-01 06:01:20 PM

ahab: Can I vote against this?

Don't you steal my schtick.

2013-10-01 06:02:07 PM
I have like a job and stuff during the day.

2013-10-01 06:02:28 PM

ami5000: ahab: Can I vote against this?

Don't you steal my schtick.

/how am I doing?

2013-10-01 06:03:10 PM
Sorry, but I'll be attending the Sioux City Fark Party that day.

2013-10-01 06:03:14 PM

/how am I doing?

First of all, it's taken me a year. Second of all, I take selfies in my office. GAWD.

2013-10-01 06:03:39 PM
Also:

It is all day because some people will be at work (unless you have one of those government jobs) and MBK and Buk are already going.  So, if people are free and want to meetup at the museum or if they are not free during the day, they can just meet us at the pizza place or the bar after work or something.  Tada!  It's flexible fun...like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor  :)

2013-10-01 06:03:54 PM

ahab: ami5000: ahab: Can I vote against this?

Don't you steal my schtick.

/how am I doing?

I personally thought you were cuter when you were fat. Nicer, too.

2013-10-01 06:03:57 PM
I only go to official Fark parties if that guy who helped plan the NOLA one is involved.

2013-10-01 06:04:18 PM

socially inept was taken: I would be interested in the Thorne Rooms.  Is this the museum with the Thorne Rooms?

Yes, it has all that stuff.

2013-10-01 06:04:33 PM

ami5000: ahab: Guys, I'm pretty and I've lost some weight in the last few months.  Lemme go take a selfie in the bathroom, brb.

/how am I doing?

2013-10-01 06:05:38 PM

No and no.

2013-10-01 06:07:37 PM

2013-10-01 06:09:20 PM
I could go... but I don't want to.

weknowgifs.com

2013-10-01 06:09:55 PM

It doesn't :)  I forgot the name of it so whenever Buk gets back in this thread he'll remind me what it is called.  woo!

2013-10-01 06:09:56 PM

Uh oh. Better add marching to the day's agenda.

2013-10-01 06:11:12 PM

KingoftheCheese: Ponzholio: I heard the key ingredient to Chicago style pizza is the genetically modified pizza crust.

Uh oh. Better add marching to the day's agenda.

The March Against Monsanto is on the 12th, duh.  I'll be in Columbus, OH for that.

2013-10-01 06:12:33 PM

ami5000: ahab: So you haven't lost any weight in the last few months?  TIME TO UP THE INTENSITY, AMI!

No and no.

You heard it here first, folks.  Fat ami5000 is making a comeback.  WOO!

/sorry toots, you're not allowed to maintain

2013-10-01 06:20:38 PM

The pesticides make it too soggy otherwise.

2013-10-01 06:29:00 PM
Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

2013-10-01 06:30:34 PM

aquigley: Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

Skyday: like having sex with a dancer or yoga instructor :)

So iamrex is going?

2013-10-01 06:49:46 PM
A Monday morning Fark party?  Really?  Good luck with that.

/still thinking about that L.A. party......

2013-10-01 07:05:25 PM

basemetal: A Monday morning Fark party?  Really?  Good luck with that.

/still thinking about that L.A. party......

Read the entire thing...  it's all day.... people can come and go as they please...there is brunch then the museum starts at 10am because it takes all day to go through that thing...afterwards is the pizza/drinks  Do I need to write a script to repeat this?

2013-10-01 07:55:12 PM
Sky!

2013-10-01 08:17:48 PM
I wish I could go to this. Stupid work and having to work.

2013-10-01 08:30:53 PM
And here I thought Art museums still closed on Mondays.

2013-10-01 08:37:36 PM

VivianVivisect: Sky!

<3 you sistah!!!

2013-10-01 08:39:04 PM
I live in downtown Chicago ... I've never been to a Fark party.

I hate museums, I don't drink, I don't like Chicago style pizza and I'm not particularly social.

Should I go?

2013-10-01 08:39:59 PM
It's an Institute, not a Museum.

Y'all probably need to be institutionalized anyway.

2013-10-01 08:44:54 PM
www.theparisreview.org
What a Chicago Fark party might look like.

2013-10-01 08:45:13 PM
It's the Art Institute. God.

; )

The Elephant & Castle is a great pub, right across the street from the Cultural Center, at Lake and Wabash.

2013-10-01 08:46:40 PM

LordOfThePings: It's an Institute, not a Museum.

The difference is academic. It's chock-full of art.  I was just there two months ago.

i831.photobucket.com

i831.photobucket.com

2013-10-01 08:48:02 PM
This sounds fun as hell and I'm sorry to miss it.  I'd love to go to a prominent art museum with some of you f*ckers.

MBK [TotalFark]
2013-10-01 08:48:14 PM
I'll be there.

2013-10-01 08:54:04 PM

2013-10-01 08:58:01 PM

Nobody who lives here eats that deep dish stuff more than once in a blue moon, if that.

However, I will laugh if they go to Gino's East or one of those junky tourist places.

2013-10-01 08:58:20 PM
I will officially be "ancient" on Oct. 7

2013-10-01 09:04:32 PM
For lunch downtown, the Berghoff Cafe is a good inexpensive non-tourist, non-chain option. Same kind of food as the restaurant, but it's cafeteria style.

It's in the basement of the Berghoff restaurant, just a block west of the Art Institute Michigan Ave entrance.
 menu

hours & location

2013-10-01 09:08:23 PM
Hmmm....interesting. Maybe I will stop by wherever the drinking will be happening since I work right there.

2013-10-01 09:09:40 PM
 Last time I was in Chicago I couldn't find any pizza. Sure, there was this stuff they called "pizza", but it wasn't really.

2013-10-01 09:12:37 PM
As for bars, there is the Bergoff (mentioned upthread) and an Elephant & Castle at Clark and Adams (a different one than the one mentioned upthread), though I guess it kind of depends on where you're going for pizza for convenience. I'd personally suggest someplace in River North for a bar - I like the Hubbard Inn, though there are plenty of others around, too.

2013-10-01 09:17:01 PM
Recommended: Skylark in Pilsen and Maria's in Bridgeport. I'm also partial to the Blind Robin in Ukrainian Village and Archie's at Iowa & Rockwell, just a few blocks away. And if you want to go ghetto old school, I heartily endorse Loop Tavern on Chicago at Ashland.

2013-10-01 09:19:29 PM
Doh! ... Fark party in Chicago the week I'm in Germany....

2013-10-01 09:28:09 PM
I'd come but everyone would say "You''re like old!".

2013-10-01 09:29:12 PM

Huntceet: I'd come but everyone would say "You''re like old!".

Nah  I'm 14 billion.  Time is just another dimension.

2013-10-01 10:17:29 PM

Internet Meme Rogers: skullkrusher: I bet a lot of people with functioning taste buds skip the pizza part considering the location

I was just playing. I like deep dish. Both styles have their charms.

/though NYC is real pizza

2013-10-01 10:22:09 PM
i.imgur.com

2013-10-01 10:22:18 PM
Sorry, I'm allergic to people and fun.

2013-10-01 10:29:02 PM
I will not be there, but be sure to ask everyone if they know who I am.

2013-10-01 10:31:36 PM

syrynxx: LordOfThePings: It's an Institute, not a Museum.

It's the Art Institute, which has an art museum.

If it helps people figure out where to go, it's not academic.

2013-10-01 10:46:55 PM

2013-10-01 10:52:58 PM
The Gage. not far from the art museum. I know there's a few close to there... I'll post more as I think of them. if I'm not working, I'll pop in for a while

2013-10-01 10:56:59 PM

Huntceet: I'd come but everyone would say "You''re like old!".

I'm old too. been liking this site for way too long!

2013-10-01 10:59:32 PM

you should totally come :)  I am not sure where brunch is just yet.  I am looking around for a local place that isn't a tourist trap... I'm not pretentious but I love good food and places that serve mimosas/bloody mary's to get the day off to a proper start!

2013-10-01 11:02:19 PM

Skyday: Bacontastesgood: Huh.  Well this is different.  I've never gone to a fark party in part because getting from a bar back home is awkward unless I plan on not drinking much and then WTF.  Monday work?  Eh, whatevs.  I could be down for this.  It's been a few years since I've hit the Institute. Please no deep dish though, at least go to a place with sane options.  Where and when is brunch?

downtown, I'm a big fan of Yolk for brunch. I would hope they have it on a Monday.

2013-10-01 11:07:57 PM

I guess it depends what you're looking for in a bar? Places downtown will tend to be more "upscale" but there are more casual and divy places if you wish.

Places I like and recommend as a concierge often:
Sable
Rockit bar (especially with food. ZOMG cheese fires with Brie and shiatakes)
Untitled
Prohibit
Howell and hood

2013-10-01 11:16:48 PM

I don't recognize this one, but then I haven't done breakfast much in that part of the city.  It looks pretty unique and does have $5 mimosas/bloody marys.  Not a thing pretentious about those drinks IMO.

Yolk looks good, but it's like 8 blocks further south and I'm lazy.  There's some Wildberry pancake place just north of Millenium Park too.

2013-10-01 11:20:18 PM
Is Hoyt's any good? Trying to do local farms as much as possible.

2013-10-01 11:36:20 PM

KoalaFace: I'm going to suggest Wildberry or Yolk for breakfast. I will vote against Elephant and Castle (seriously, a chain??) and second The Gage. It's gorgeous, and I love their beer list. Amazing fish and chips, too.

Places I like and recommend as a concierge often:
Sable
Rockit bar (especially with food. ZOMG cheese fires with Brie and shiatakes)
Untitled
Prohibit
Howell and hood

Howells and Hood puts you people less than 30 horizontal feet from me!

2013-10-01 11:38:15 PM
What time are people hitting the Art Institute?

2013-10-01 11:46:38 PM

KoalaFace: Untitled

Yes, let's all wait in a line around the block to have a drink!

Was just there, fortunately as a VIP guest so no line for me. But it's trendy and spendy. Yawn.

2013-10-01 11:54:53 PM

WhyteRaven74: What time are people hitting the Art Institute?

They open at 10:30am so we're shooting for 11am/after brunch.

2013-10-02 12:16:52 AM

/not a hooker ... newspaper biz

2013-10-02 12:36:57 AM

Internet Meme Rogers: KoalaFace: Untitled

Yes, let's all wait in a line around the block to have a drink!

I don't tend to wait in lines much anywhere, and like most establishments in river north, yea, it's spendy. I didn't think lines would e much of an issue on a Monday evening.

2013-10-02 12:58:12 AM

Top Geezer: If you want an alternate to the Art Institute, there's the Dan Clowes exhibition at the MCA. That seems pretty FARK to me. But no decent bars nearby unless you want to drop some serious cash.

farking hipster.

2013-10-02 01:07:29 AM

Bacontastesgood: Skyday: I am looking around for a local place that isn't a tourist trap... I'm not pretentious but I love good food and places that serve mimosas/bloody mary's to get the day off to a proper start!

Right down town?  Hit Mercat  http://mercatchicago.com/ .  If the south loop isn't too far, there's  Eleven City Dinerhttp://www.elevencitydiner.com/home... and if you're getting beers near the Art Institute, hit Hackney's on Printer's Row (tell the bartenders hey from the Boston nerd mafia, and have a round of Really Bad Ideas).

/I miss you, Chicago.

2013-10-02 01:25:48 AM
Since it's Oktoberfest, why not the Chicago Brauhaus, it's not too far from the Institute. There's also a  Hofbräuhaus right by O'hare airport too. I work all night and I sleep all day as well, but I could be there for the after art brunch.

/Live's in Brookfield
//By the Zoo

2013-10-02 02:51:09 AM

I'd avoid B & B. just saying

2013-10-02 03:04:05 AM
So, this is what I recommend for pizza.
It's not a chain (It has no relation to Gino's East), and it's right next to the L so easy to get to and fro.

2013-10-02 03:18:52 AM

Bukharin: So, this is what I recommend for pizza.

sold.

2013-10-02 04:31:46 AM

naughtyrev: I'd avoid B & B. just saying

If it's anything like the one in Countryside (3 towns west of Chicago), they have good liver and onions.

/They also have a lot of old people

2013-10-02 06:02:19 AM
As a new Chicago resident and a long, long time FARKer this appeals to me, count me in.

2013-10-02 09:37:33 AM
Great spot near the Art Institute for THIN CRUST Chicago Style Pizza (square cut) is Exchequer.
Full Bar too.

I'd go to meet some of you all - but i'll be out of town.

2013-10-02 10:39:00 AM
Did someone think to warn the Art Institute?

2013-10-02 12:29:22 PM

2013-10-02 12:43:22 PM

naughtyrev: How about Miller's Pub? It's a block away from the Art Institute, it's a Chicago institution, and they have a decent beer list.

I couldn't remember the name of that place. used to go there when friends worked at Poster Plus at Michicagn and Adams...

2013-10-02 01:31:49 PM

2013-10-02 01:52:18 PM
Damn. I effing love Chicago. Sadly, a bit short notice for me, kiddos :-/

2013-10-02 01:55:26 PM

2013-10-02 02:06:05 PM

I am only in town all day on Monday and this party is my brain child.  I'll be in town Sunday night too, but it will be late.

2013-10-02 02:13:42 PM
I'm In!

2013-10-02 03:13:08 PM

Skyday: I am only in town all day on Monday and this party is my brain child. I'll be in town Sunday night too, but it will be late.

I dont work until after 10am monday, so I'm down for something late Sunday if you are.

2013-10-02 03:43:14 PM

Well bad timing for me then. I'm not skipping classes to get to Chicago at 1 (train schedule) so....Come to Chicago on a weekend next time. Or come here and cook for me on Tuesday.

2013-10-02 05:29:41 PM

KangTheMad: Skyday: KangTheMad: wow! It's on a Monday! Yet I might go since I'd be done with classes at Noon. I miss Chicago. Of course, why the hell is this on a Monday? Not that I can complain too much since I have no classes on Tuesday.

They party is all day so if you want to come later, feel free!  We'll be out late!

2013-10-02 06:30:35 PM
You all decided where and when the drinking is going to start? Because I can duck out of work early (4ish) assuming I don't get called into any dumb meetings.

2013-10-02 08:39:17 PM
frickinyeahyeahyeah:

farking hipster.

Huh? I'm AARP aged [barely]. I wear normal clothes. I embarrass my adult children. But I like good, cheap drinks at quality dives and thought Dan Clowes 'Eightball' was pretty genius when it was around. And I've lived here my whole life.
You got some kind of problem with that?

/what constructive suggestions did YOU offer?

2013-10-06 12:48:09 PM
This sounds like fun. Been meaning to fly up and visit chicago for the day. Except I have to work because I have a job...

2013-10-06 11:45:42 PM

farkingismybusiness: [www.theparisreview.org image 573x368]
What a Chicago Fark party might look like.

That's EXACTLY what I think it would look like. Thanks!

2013-10-06 11:48:22 PM

GetBent: D'oh. I work all night and sleep all day. I'm like a more responsible version of Slaughter.

/not a hooker ... newspaper biz

Gavin MacLeod would like a word with you ...

2013-10-06 11:58:47 PM
If you go the MCA be sure to see the disembodied head underneath the mattress that loudly judges you for your strange sexual urges

2013-10-07 12:10:50 PM
OMG I am running late and I am pretty sure I am still drunk from last night.  (THANKS BUK!!!!)  Should be arriving to the museum within an hour and a half.

2013-10-07 08:25:53 PM
A pizza gathering in Chicago and no mention of the world's best pizza, Lou Malnati's?  Anyway, read this too late to attend - or mighta.

2013-10-07 08:36:47 PM
The party is just getting started :P