Host: Alpha Sierra Foxtrot
Description: The 50th Annual Dragon*Con Fark Party - Saturday, August 31, 1pm at Big Kahuna, Atlanta, GA
Date/Time: August 31, 2013 - 01:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: Come one, come all, to the annual Dragon*Con Fark Party, this year conveniently located NOT in a host hotel so that Non-Con-Goers can have a chance to attend.

Finding the Farkers: Look for the blonde nerd with the very embarrassed looking fiancée. Or, I'll have my above-average-intelligence phone complete with e-mail with me, so I'm sure you can figure something out.

Parking: Might be tight, but the garage in the Suntrust Plaza building validates parking, so I'd suggest parking there. If you can't find parking there, NYAH NYAH NYAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

The Parade: I know it's right after the parade, but seriously, man up, nancy. I'm marching in the parade and making this happen; the least you can do is show up.

Other Info: I apologize in advance for not having a Leeloo-in-bandages costume, but I might be wearing Dr Horrible? That's sexy, right? RIGHT?!

Let me know if you have any questions! I have e-mail and if you know who I am on Facebook, you can message me there, too.

Location: Big Kahuna
303 Peachtree Center Avenue Suite PCA-01
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 343-0409
(view map)

3105 clicks; posted to Main » on 28 Aug 2013 at 8:01 PM (48 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all

2013-08-21 12:30:23 PM

HalEmmerich: I've got lots of room in my car.

NOT FOR LONG

2013-08-24 08:54:59 AM
I might can make it. we'll see.

2013-08-24 09:52:32 AM
Now that San Diego Comic Con has been polluted into a Holly-Hype crapfest, I'd like to go to an event still meant for fans like Dragon*Con (especially now that they've finally been able to stop paying off that pedophile Ed Kramer), but Deep South in late August? Why don't I just put on this heavy costume and roll around in a lobster steamer for a while instead and save on air fare?

2013-08-24 11:10:00 AM

TV's Vinnie: Deep South in late August?

Southerners invented air conditioning a long time ago. As long as you never go outside, you'll be fine.

2013-08-24 11:47:04 AM

TV's Vinnie: but Deep South in late August?

As opposed to San Diego, which is way up north?  Oh wait :)

2013-08-24 03:59:22 PM

ChaosStar: HalEmmerich: Churchill92: I went last year after missing out for the past 10 years+ and found that this is a Movie+Anime+TV Series festival.  Do not go there and expect gaming to be front and center like it once used to be. This is a straight up ComicCon of the South and although geek stuff is present it is by no means out in the open like it once was. I remember when Video Games, Role Playing games, gaming auctions were all over the place.  I went scouring for RPG gear and found a handful of booths (1 run by Steve Jackson Games) buried in a hall room off to the side.  Beyond that it was all Big Bang Theory, Hercules, BSG, and other tropes of the industry.

The Indie movie reviews were fun, the amateur wrestling a blast, and the robotics stuff (homemade R2 units) were enjoyable to see but DC is not for me anymore. Too many people, too damn hot, and nothing I want to see or do there. If it wasn't for my local friends who were LEO and knew the backroads in and out of places (it's amazing how flashing a badge even in an outfit opens doors for you)I would have had an even worse time.

Did you miss the entire basement hall of wall to wall gaming tables? Granted I did for almost two whole DragonCons in a row, and was too sick last year to lug my minis all the way to the Hilton basement to try to get a game in. Maybe this year... Bioware and Gearbox at least were there last year too, as well as a couple MMO developers.

SOE was there last year too, albeit with the B squad (led by the extremely nice RadarX, of Planetside 2 community fame) while the A team was at PAX I believe.
The gaming basement can be difficult to find if you don't know where to look, not sure if they've moved it this year or not, but I can sympathize with you about lugging minis around even if the Warhammer/40K gaming has slowed to a trickle since the 90's.
/really sad to miss this year

I don't think they will have moved the gaming basement, unless it's moved up to/expanded into the Hilton 2nd Floor ballroom that used to be Walk of Fame.  LARPing is still in the spot that it's been in for the past few years (outside that ballroom), and all of gaming tends to travel more-or-less together.

To find the gaming basement:
- Coming from Courtland Street (front of Hilton/back of Marriott)
    enter the Hilton lobby.
   Go straight back until you reach the parking garage elevators.
   Go down the escalator to the basement.
- Coming from inside the Marriott:
   Go down to the level where the elevators stop (don't remember the name, but it's 1 below the lobby, 2 below the skywalks to the Hyatt and the malls)
  Take the Skywalk to the Hilton, where you will be on the second floor
  Go straight across the atrium (i.e. go around the atrium until you're straight across; this is a balcony)
  Continue down the hall until you reach the escalator down to the lobby level.  This should dump you by the parking garage elevator.
  Go down the escalator to the basement.

2013-08-24 04:58:25 PM
Still going to the Fark party, but I thought I would like to shout out that New Glarus is on sale this week. So I am going to be stock piling up extra New Glarus for the trip to Dragon Con. So if anyone wants some New Glarus, let me know. I'll stock up on the kind you want.

2013-08-25 05:41:05 PM
Oh cool! I'll definitely try to join up.

2013-08-28 08:12:11 PM
I was planning to go but I'll be hogtied with a nightmarish rollout (thanks boss).
I hope all of you have indelible memories of drunken pranking, runaway debauchery, weapons grade hangovers and a trail of hotel rooms that require remodeling.

\next year...there will be next year
//I said that last year

2013-08-28 08:23:46 PM
http://monkeysnot.libsyn.com/monkeysnot-podcast-episode-51-dragon-con - special

Shameless self promotion of our band's podcast - Dragon*Con Special Episode.

If you like it, share it with your friends.
If you don't like it, share it with your enemies.

/cher and cher alike
//see ya at the party. I'll be the one dressed like Greedo

2013-08-28 09:04:56 PM

One question... DragonCon "tracks"... I can't seem to find a definition for what they are? Is the idea that you basically pick one and follow it, and events are set up in such a way as to maximize your ability to do a variety of things within that particular topic?

2013-08-28 10:26:12 PM

TheEndIsNigh: I don't think they will have moved the gaming basement, unless it's moved up to/expanded into the Hilton 2nd Floor ballroom that used to be Walk of Fame. LARPing is still in the spot that it's been in for the past few years (outside that ballroom), and all of gaming tends to travel more-or-less together.

To find the gaming basement:
- Coming from Courtland Street (front of Hilton/back of Marriott)
enter the Hilton lobby.
Go straight back until you reach the parking garage elevators.
Go down the escalator to the basement.
- Coming from inside the Marriott:
Take the Skywalk to the Hilton, where you will be on the second floor
Continue down the hall until you reach the escalator down to the lobby level. This should dump you by the parking garage elevator.
Go down the escalator to the basement.

Oh man, I haven't LARPed in forever.
CSB time
They were play testing the LotR LARP, it was sometime in the 90's, and my buddy was an orc, I was a troll and I knew next to nothing about LotR (hey I was a Warhammer person).
We started fighting over some treasure and I remembered I had a magic wand that let me basically send a voicemail to anyone I knew. Being as I only knew Warhammer orcs I asked the guy running our part of the game who "da boss" was.
I, a lowly troll, sent a message to Saruman over a treasure dispute.
The look on the GM's faces is one I will never forget. "He's talking to who??" "How?" "What?"
Basically I got told to stfu and get back to work trying to kill good guys, but damn was it funny.
Even funnier when I finally found out, years later while watching the movies, who I basically used as a complaint department.
/csb

2013-08-28 10:32:18 PM

It took me awhile to figure this one out to, mostly cause I was never interested in much more than gaming or drinking.
Think of tracks as the wrapper that holds everything together.
The Doctor Who track contains everything Doctor Who related for example. All Doctor Who events fall into this track for purposes of organization and logistics.
So if you want to see an event that is Doctor Who related, you know it's going to be in the area of the Doctor Who track location.
That help?

2013-08-28 10:38:07 PM

Winterlight: TV's Vinnie: Deep South in late August?

Never take the streets, always take the skyways, unless you're going to the Hilton, then God be with you.
Water is everywhere, please drink. We hate picking up your passed out 300# self on day three of your questionable hygiene practices.
If your staying in the Hyatt, for the sake of everyone that has to sardine into an elevator with you, swear off onions, garlic, beans, hot sauce, etc for the weekend. Please.

There's more, but I'm tired.

2013-08-28 10:40:43 PM

ChaosStar: Caeldan: Hoping to finally get to a con next year... GenCon or DragonCon are my top two (with a possibility of Templecon if I ever get back into warmahordes)

Think of tracks as the wrapper that holds everything together.
That help?

Yeah thanks!

2013-08-28 11:10:47 PM
Why did you farkers schedule it during the Tech football game? I'll be there after 5, but I imagine it will be all over by then.

2013-08-28 11:27:34 PM
Check out my ex-SIL and her band, New York Disco Villains.  They will have a booth on the show floor, and should be playing at some point.  She is also a very talented seamstress, making some very nice female cosplay outfits.  I am sure pictures will follow.

2013-08-28 11:40:13 PM
I've got a friend going.  He's going to be dressed up as something like this:

palmettostaterivals.com

2013-08-29 01:24:08 AM

ChaosStar: Winterlight: TV's Vinnie: Deep South in late August?

There's more, but I'm tired.

The Hilton has been accessible by skyway from the Marriott for a while now.  Not sure the name of level that skyway's on in the Marriott, but it's 2 down from the Hyatt and Mall skyways, 1 down from the main lobby, and conveniently on the level where the elevators stop (also the bottom level of most of the escalators).  Enters the Hilton on the 2nd floor, just above the main lobby entrance.  Takes a little doing to get between Hilton and Hyatt through the Marriott, but it beats waiting for the Hyatt elevators.

For the Sheraton, there's no indoor approach.  I don't think there is for the Westin, either, but I've only been over there once.

2013-08-29 02:10:44 AM
Currently in NC, but I should be back in Atlanta tomorrow night. I'll be the guy who looks about 3 years older than his profile pic.

Really gotta update that thing.

2013-08-29 02:12:44 AM
Anyone doing anything Thursday (other than badge pickup)?

2013-08-29 06:08:15 AM

TheEndIsNigh: ChaosStar: Winterlight: TV's Vinnie: Deep South in late August?

There's more, but I'm tired.

Sorry, I meant the Sheraton.
Uphill, two-three blocks during the day time? After I've been drinking for two days?
No thanks.

2013-08-29 08:43:46 AM
My wig for the Daenerys Targaryen costume wasn't right. So I'll be recycling my Chun-Li and Wonder Woman costumes from years prior. I'm a little bummed about it, but oh well...the excitement over my first Fark party more than makes up for it!

2013-08-29 08:54:45 AM

Mike: Anyone doing anything Thursday (other than badge pickup)?

That's mainly all that's going on today...

2013-08-29 02:13:30 PM
Badge line time: 54 minutes

2013-08-29 04:38:49 PM

Mike: Badge line time: 54 minutes

I'm still two hours away. Would it be better to pick up my badge in the morning?

2013-08-29 05:10:12 PM