Do you have adblock enabled?
Host: Alpha Sierra Foxtrot
Description: The 50th Annual Dragon*Con Fark Party - Saturday, August 31, 1pm at Big Kahuna, Atlanta, GA
Date/Time: August 31, 2013 - 01:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: Come one, come all, to the annual Dragon*Con Fark Party, this year conveniently located NOT in a host hotel so that Non-Con-Goers can have a chance to attend.

Finding the Farkers: Look for the blonde nerd with the very embarrassed looking fiancée. Or, I'll have my above-average-intelligence phone complete with e-mail with me, so I'm sure you can figure something out.

Parking: Might be tight, but the garage in the Suntrust Plaza building validates parking, so I'd suggest parking there. If you can't find parking there, NYAH NYAH NYAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

The Parade: I know it's right after the parade, but seriously, man up, nancy. I'm marching in the parade and making this happen; the least you can do is show up.

Other Info: I apologize in advance for not having a Leeloo-in-bandages costume, but I might be wearing Dr Horrible? That's sexy, right? RIGHT?!

Let me know if you have any questions! I have e-mail and if you know who I am on Facebook, you can message me there, too.

Location: Big Kahuna
303 Peachtree Center Avenue Suite PCA-01
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 343-0409
(view map)

3126 clicks; posted to Main » on 28 Aug 2013 at 8:01 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all

2013-07-31 04:58:31 PM

Y'know how I know you haven't pre-purchased in at least three years?

Seriously, that problem was long since fixed.  I've pre-purchased every year for a long time.  They transitioned to a much more efficient barcode system in 2011.

2009: Three hour wait.
2010: Four hour wait.
2011: Five minute wait.
2012: No wait.

2013-07-31 05:26:01 PM
Damn Drew, how did you organize these Fark parties before Fark, or even your birth?

2013-07-31 05:41:15 PM

TheEndIsNigh: mbillips: TheEndIsNigh: JoeJitsu: I have a couple of questions for the Fark DragonCon veterans.  I will be attending for the first time in about 15 years with my teenage kids and want to let them see what a con is like.  We can go only for Saturday (son has a ball game Friday night he has to march in).  I'm preordering badges online to pick up there.

First, when picking up the badges it says to have photo ID, so I'm guessing that's just needed for me only since I bought them.  The online ordering has a comments box where I think you can put in the name you want on your badges.  Is there a format that should be followed to ensure the names get on there right (I'd hate to walk around with "Badge #1" on all day because they didn't realize it was just to indicate that's what I wanted on the first one.  I'd put "Bizarro #1" on it if I that was the case)?

Any hints about getting thru the badge pickup line faster?  I know it'll be crazy, and if they start processing badges at 8 AM I don't know what time to try and get there.

Is there reasonable parking around the con in the lots nearby or should we find a MARTA station as has been suggested?

Thanks!

Badge pickup is infinitely better than it used to be.  You'll get a barcoded postcard in the mail a few days after you sign up.  DO NOT LOSE THAT POSTCARD.

I haven't ever done Saturday pickup, but if the line works the way it has on Fridays since they implemented the barcode system, there will be a lot of people queued up before the line opens.  They'll take about an hour to drain, and then it's about ten minutes to get through at any other time.  If I only had one day, I'd probably brave the early morning line, but that's just me.

If you're planning to leave while MARTA is running (and you presumably are), you absolutely want to go with a MARTA station rather than deal with trying to find walkable parking.

Protip on badging: Don't pre-purchase. Do the day-of walkup, and bring cash. No line at all. Both pre-purchase and ...

I haven't tried Saturday-only. If you're doing the full weekend, Thursday morning walkup is the way to go, but Saturday might sell out if you don't get there early.

Kyro: mbillips: Protip on badging: Don't pre-purchase. Do the day-of walkup, and bring cash. No line at all. Both pre-purchase and credit-card lines are really long.

Y'know how I know you haven't pre-purchased in at least three years?

2009: Three hour wait.
2010: Four hour wait.
2011: Five minute wait.
2012: No wait.

Yay! I didn't know that. The wife went last year when I was out of town, and that's when she figured out how much faster the cash line was.

2013-07-31 05:51:54 PM
atlfarkette:
And then there's this guy. The guy who once a year leaves his mom's basement to attend DragonCon wearing this. (Real pic I took at DragonCon)

It's indeed a terrible "costume" meant to gross people out, but did you really just make that "LOL virgin lives in mom's basement!" remark towards someone at a con?
You're condescending upon someone for not being socially engaged, in truth you have just belittled him for being a nerd or geek. And where was this? At his the (admittedly not so much these days) nerd/geek sanctuary of a con.

He and people like him should not feel welcome anywhere, right? He should be in his basement away from cool things like Big Bang Theory and Superhero Movie 54.

You are an ugly person.

2013-07-31 07:44:30 PM
atlfarkette:

[i166.photobucket.com image 576x768]

I'm guessing that's supposed to be an unfortunately accurate Captain Underpants costume:

upload.wikimedia.org

2013-07-31 09:29:05 PM
Somebody should take pictures of all the bad tattoos. DragonCon is a BONANZA of bad ink.

2013-07-31 10:36:38 PM
TheEndIsNigh: Kyro: mbillips:

We are going to prepurchase so I'll risk the online badge naming thing and hope for the best.  Thanks everyone for the advice.   I think that will help make my kids' first visit to DragonCon much more enjoyable!

2013-07-31 10:46:48 PM

JoeJitsu: TheEndIsNigh: Kyro: mbillips:

For the badge name, it will have your real name on it AND whatever additional name you request. That's where we put our 501st ID numbers, forum usernames, club officer titles, or witty nicknames. You could put your Fark username there, for example. They compare ID to the name attached to your order to make sure you are picking up what you ordered. You should be fine picking up your badge and your child's at the same time.

2013-07-31 11:09:05 PM

Astra: JoeJitsu: TheEndIsNigh: Kyro: mbillips:

Thanks.  That helps a lot.

2013-07-31 11:44:57 PM

2013-08-01 01:19:19 AM

demonfaerie: So what is the booze policy around there? I heard you have to sneek in the booze, because of some law about charging to open booze or something. My friends are bringing cases of canned beer, but some of the beer I want to bring is only in glass bottles. New Glarus doesn't do canned beer.

So far as I can tell, the policy is:
Bring your booze in during the day, ideally with luggage, and at least make enough of an effort to conceal it so that the doormen and bellhops can have plausible deniability.

/not a drinker, but I usually arrive with a decent stockpile even so

2013-08-01 10:52:03 AM

God-is-a-Taco: atlfarkette:

You are an ugly person.

Welcometofark.jpg and Big Bang Theory is cool?

2013-08-01 01:07:01 PM
Jules: Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of hamburgers?
Brett: Ch-cheeseburgers.
Jules: No, no no, where'd you get 'em? McDonalds? Wendy's? Jack in the Box? Where?
Brett: Big Kahuna Burger.
Jules: Big Kahuna Burger. That's that Hawaiian burger joint. I hear they got some tasty burgers. I ain't never had one myself. How are they?
Brett: They're good.
Jules: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right?
[Picks up burger and takes a bite]
Jules: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger. Vincent, ever have a Big Kahuna Burger?
[Vincent shakes his head]
Jules: Wanna bite? They're real tasty.
Vincent: Ain't hungry.
Jules: Well, if you like burgers give 'em a try sometime. I can't usually get 'em myself because my girlfriend's a vegitarian which pretty much makes me a vegitarian. But I do love the taste of a good burger. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?
Brett: No.
Jules: Tell 'em, Vincent.
Vincent: A Royale with cheese.
Jules: A Royale with cheese! You know why they call it that?
Brett: Because of the metric system?
Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett! You're a smart motherfarker. That's right. The metric system. What's in this?
Brett: Sprite.
Jules: Sprite, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?
Brett: Go right ahead.
Jules: Ah, hit the spot.

2013-08-05 05:15:50 PM

God-is-a-Taco: atlfarkette:

You are an ugly person.

So, are you planning on wearing that costume again?

2013-08-05 05:27:23 PM

God-is-a-Taco: atlfarkette:

You are an ugly person.

Ha. ;)

2013-08-05 05:28:01 PM

2013-08-05 06:10:07 PM

lake march: I'm going this year.  Last time I went was 2010, when we almost got hit by a falling window (somebody knocked out their 4th story hotel window onto the street, a couple people and a taxi got farked up). Oh, and somebody threw a beer bottle into the lobby from waaaay up high in one of the hotels.  Other than that though, it seemed fairly safe, and was a lot of fun. The costuming is always a lot of fun to watch, but most of the panels we went to ended up sucking pretty bad (Doctor Who, hacking panels, a Tim Burton thing) but we didn't line up in time for the popular ones.

2010 was "special".  It's been a lot calmer since.  The militant (but fairly unobtrusive, considering) badge checks seem to have been a reaction to that year's events, and seem to have helped rein in the bad crazy.

2013-08-05 08:37:16 PM
Sweet! I was supposed to go with my husband, who is now my ex husband, and I couldn't convince anyone to go with me at this point. I'd love to hang out with some Farkers.

I'll be the girl who is slightly too tanned to be dressed as Daenerys Targaryen. Don't know how convincing I'll look in a blonde wig, but I don't really care at this point.

2013-08-05 08:46:19 PM

Are you underage and/or mentally deficient in some way where your brothers are concerned about your well being in a crowded hotel during the day?

"I'm going to [place].  Text me."

I am way over age, but I have never been to DragonCon. My bros insist that I can't be alone during the con, because it's dangerous or some shiat. I have been to Cons before, but yeah not like DragonCon. It probably has something to do with so many people you will get lost or something. They also demanded for me to bring a chick friend, so I can buddy up with her to go to the bathroom. I said why can't I just bring a guy friend or what not, they said we can't in the bathroom with you. I wish I wasn't make this shiat up, and my friends are odd.

Demonfaerie, I'm a chick...I'll hang with you!

2013-08-05 10:47:55 PM
well damn

2013-08-05 11:11:22 PM

"I'm going to [place].  Text me."

Demonfaerie, I'm a chick...I'll hang with you!

Let's do this!

2013-08-06 05:27:29 PM

"I'm going to [place].  Text me."

Demonfaerie, I'm a chick...I'll hang with you!

Let's do this!

I'm going too and I'd love to hang out!

2013-08-06 06:41:45 PM

lenabena: demonfaerie: See My Az Go: demonfaerie: Kyro: demonfaerie: It depends on what my bros want to do. They demand a buddy system.

"I'm going to [place].  Text me."

Demonfaerie, I'm a chick...I'll hang with you!

Let's do this!

I'm going too and I'd love to hang out!

Again, let's do this!!!!!

2013-08-17 07:56:19 AM

We fixed that for you, and a passing admin bumped the thread.

2013-08-17 08:12:42 AM
I'l be coming out of lurk mode and make an appearance as well.

I'll be the tall geeky guy in blue jeans and a Hawaiian shirt: your basic convention camouflage. I might even wear a straw hat to really blend in.

2013-08-17 08:39:03 AM

Moderator: Alpha Sierra Foxtrot: Also, I apparently fail in the headline. 1pm, not 1:30. Do as I think, not as I do.

We fixed that for you, and a passing admin bumped the thread.

But apparently not the date.

2013-08-17 08:41:09 AM
I live half a mile from the East Point Marta station if anyone from OTP wants to use my driveway.

2013-08-17 08:44:20 AM
Last year, my wife and I were people watching when we notice a guy drop his badge.  It was Richard Garriott (Lord British/Game Designer/Billionaire/Astronaut).  Returned it to him and he snuck us into DragonCon.  Talked for a few minutes about my secret nerd crush and former UO addiction before parting ways as he had an event to attend.

As civilians, we went to the bar to watch people and SEC football.  Sat down at a table and saw a group of other civilians looking for a place to sit.  They joined us and we cheered/drank at the games.  After a while we talked about work.  I'm a bank guy, they were the draw/write/color guys for Spiderman and Hulk who were killing time waiting for Stan Lee to take them out to dinner.

After the game ended, we walked around some more to people watch.  Costumes ranged from 'cool' to 'wow thats slutty' to 'Oh-my-god-how-did-they-do-that'  I'd never admit it to my wife but recognized a porn star who was walking around as a succubus.  She had one nothing but paint, boots, thong and little wings.  Another woman was walking around with an animatronic raptor head, back and tail.  She was some sort of Raptor girl in a black cocktail dress with a man on a leash.   Truly amazing.

It was such a good time that even though we aren't really into all the things that Dragoncon is about, we will be going back yearly.

2013-08-17 08:47:36 AM
Sooo... the party was two weeks ago?

2013-08-17 08:48:30 AM
Of course, correct it whilst I am mid-post. Proofreading is for suckers.

2013-08-17 11:44:31 AM

Winterlight: I'l be coming out of lurk mode and make an appearance as well.

And I will be buying you a beer !

/thanks :)

2013-08-17 12:25:28 PM

Moderator: We fixed that for you, and a passing admin bumped the thread.

Thank you, friendly passing Admin.

2013-08-17 02:19:58 PM

atlfarkette: Tat'dGreaser: Yea I came for the cleavage and stayed for some of the cooler costumes. I mean yea you gotta stay for some of the really bad ones too

F*ck I wish I was creative

Many of the costumes are movie quality. It's pretty impressive.

Who are you to judge? It's a pretty good Captain Underpants costume.

2013-08-17 03:01:40 PM
Well shiat, thought the party was later. Now sitting just an hour away doubting it'll last long enough for me to show up.

2013-08-17 06:35:38 PM

Winterlight: I'l be coming out of lurk mode and make an appearance as well.

AH HA! Found you!
Thank you very much for the TF subscription.
If we were able to go this year, I would offer buy you a drink or give you some Dragon coins.

2013-08-17 06:44:54 PM

Rand's lacy underwear: ChaosStar: First year I went, mid-90's, best friend an I played so much Warhammer and just slept under the tablecloths (to young to get a hotel room)

This, boys and girls, is what hard core looks like. (Mine was early 90s, and my parents knew I was there so we could get a hotel room all legal like.)

Oh man, looking back on it we could have gotten in so much trouble.
We did the whole "I'm staying at his house/You're staying at my house" thing with our parents and caught the shuttle to the Atlanta airport from about two hours down the interstate. Made little forts under the game table tablecloths with our tupperware army boxes to sleep in, sometimes scare the bajeezus out of people when we'd wake up by grabbing their ankles.
Eventually we got pretty rank and would have to beg other players to use their room showers.
Good times man, but couldn't get away with any of that now.

2013-08-19 03:40:09 PM

ChaosStar: Oh man, looking back on it we could have gotten in so much trouble.
Good times man, but couldn't get away with any of that now.

Envy. Envy. Envy. :D

2013-08-20 07:22:28 AM
And it turns out I'm going to have the miss the party as I will be on a "Fringe" panel at the same time.

/ unless I can get my alternate universe Winterlight to cover for me
// then again, he'd probably rather go to the party

2013-08-20 07:34:29 AM

Kyro: Parking Tip: Park at a MARTA station and take MARTA in to Peachtree Center Station. Parking and traffic are insane that weekend.

2013-08-20 07:57:18 AM

Alpha Sierra Foxtrot: Drew: I should be there this year too!

Awesome. They have a bar.

Not that you were worried or anything...

I'm boycotting this due to some guy with a neck-beard or something.

/not really, I'm just going to be in Mass., I'm sorry :/

2013-08-20 08:09:05 AM
I'll be at one of the Marriott pools in my merman tail. *wave*

2013-08-20 08:20:51 AM

Dahnkster: No. The only time I EVER parked out at a MARTA station and rode into town was the one time I had my car completely stolen. Late at night, 'opportuniust' patrol those parking lots for folks trying to save a few dollars on downtown parking. That may work fine for a daytime excursion or after a day-trip to Six Flags.  Having lived many years in downtown New Orleans, I had my vehicle broken into a few times... just to 'have a look'. But when they stole the entire car in Atlanta, that is how it happened. The Atlanta police told me break-ins occur regularly at the closest two or three stations to Downtown, but car thefts not so much. I'm glad it has worked for you, but my experience was different.

So nevermind the people that do this regularly(myself included). Nevermind that the police themselves told you that thefts are rare. Nevermind that you yourself said a daytime excursion(what time is the Fark party again?) would probably be fine.  Your anecdote about a car theft at a MARTA parking lot means parking there is sure to make anyone lose their car.  Got it.

2013-08-20 08:23:51 AM

Don't blame Marta. Your car can be stolen from any parking spot in the city at any time.

There will be no parking available near downtown all weekend. Unless you get there early and never move your ride, make other arrangements.

2013-08-20 08:37:49 AM

The Indie movie reviews were fun, the amateur wrestling a blast, and the robotics stuff (homemade R2 units) were enjoyable to see but DC is not for me anymore. Too many people, too damn hot, and nothing I want to see or do there. If it wasn't for my local friends who were LEO and knew the backroads in and out of places (it's amazing how flashing a badge even in an outfit opens doors for you)I would have had an even worse time.

2013-08-20 08:45:27 AM

You should double check to make sure they're still there this year.  A lot of locations got moved around this year.

2013-08-20 11:48:44 AM

Text me when you're going to go play. I want to see what this is all about. I'll be one of your groupies.

2013-08-20 12:47:34 PM

SOE was there last year too, albeit with the B squad (led by the extremely nice RadarX, of Planetside 2 community fame) while the A team was at PAX I believe.
The gaming basement can be difficult to find if you don't know where to look, not sure if they've moved it this year or not, but I can sympathize with you about lugging minis around even if the Warhammer/40K gaming has slowed to a trickle since the 90's.
/really sad to miss this year

2013-08-20 07:49:29 PM
Is the party going to have a problem since Dragon blocked Kahuna from having their street festival?

I'd go if I could arrive in town in time but I highly doubt I'm going to be able to make it in time. I wasn't even planning on doing con this year but a favorite band got the nod to play so I am going for the latter part of Saturday and going to the concert Sunday night.

2013-08-20 10:19:20 PM

Alpha Sierra Foxtrot: HalEmmerich: Did you miss the entire basement hall of wall to wall gaming tables? Granted I did for almost two whole DragonCons in a row, and was too sick last year to lug my minis all the way to the Hilton basement to try to get a game in. Maybe this year... Bioware and Gearbox at least were there last year too, as well as a couple MMO developers.

I might just bring my X-wing minis this year. Way more portable than my entire 40k army, and a much faster game to play. We'll see though, I've got lots of room in my car. Will do though if I find someone to play a game with.

ChaosStar: HalEmmerich: Churchill92: I went last year after missing out for the past 10 years+ and found that this is a Movie+Anime+TV Series festival.  Do not go there and expect gaming to be front and center like it once used to be. This is a straight up ComicCon of the South and although geek stuff is present it is by no means out in the open like it once was. I remember when Video Games, Role Playing games, gaming auctions were all over the place.  I went scouring for RPG gear and found a handful of booths (1 run by Steve Jackson Games) buried in a hall room off to the side.  Beyond that it was all Big Bang Theory, Hercules, BSG, and other tropes of the industry.

/really sad to miss this year

2013-08-21 07:24:08 AM

HalEmmerich: Yeah, I didn't see any 40k going on anyway. A lot of Warmachine/Hordes, and even a couple Battletech games, but no 40k. Most of the room was various boardgames and some pen and paper RPGs. If there had been a prospect of finding a game last year I probably would have lugged them over anyway, but I think I was patient 0 for con crud last year so I was pretty under the weather the whole weekend.

I always see a few 40K games, mostly what looks like >1000 point games. To small for my tastes, if I'm gonna lug 5K points worth of IG around I wanna use all my tanks!
I think that's why Warmachine is so popular, can carry an entire warband in a single case.
/still remember back when Forge World had a vendor booth at D*con
//really wish I had had more money then

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all