Host: GWSuperfan
Description: North San Diego County party at Stone Brewery 5/15. 6:00PM -Note Date Change
Date/Time: May 15, 2013 - 06:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: TFette Beatlefreak will be in town, so we're having a little shindig. Good food, good beer, and good company on tap, so come on out!

I hate to change the date, but Beatlefreak has to return to the frozen north a couple of days earlier than anticipated. So, now we're trying for Wed. I realize this may make it harder for some people to make it :(

Location: Stone Brewery
1999 Citracado Parkway
Escondido, CA 92029
(760) 294-7866
(view map)

2170 clicks; posted to Main » on 15 May 2013 at 6:59 AM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

2013-04-27 03:33:16 PM
Obligatory "why isn't it in downtown SD" post.

2013-04-27 04:28:04 PM
Obligatory "didn't they do this 4 weeks ago" post

2013-04-27 04:45:32 PM
Hmm only 1 hour away...

So whats the ambience like? I'm not dressed to impressed

2013-04-27 04:47:04 PM
What's wrong with having this at the Alibi in Hillcrest?

2013-04-27 04:50:11 PM
OK but do this first.

http://mitoresearchfund.org/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmitoresearch f und.org%2FHome.html

2013-04-27 04:54:38 PM

Hondaman4ever: So whats the ambience like? I'm not dressed to impressed

Very casual. T-Shirt, shorts and flip-flops are fine.

2013-04-27 04:55:53 PM

cyberspacedout: Obligatory "didn't they do this 4 weeks ago" post

2013-04-27 05:30:31 PM
Some farker bug Stone to send a bit of the hwheat n rye to MN please!

2013-04-27 05:31:43 PM

2013-04-27 05:36:46 PM

EllenTheBad: My favorite is Arrogant Bastard Ale. Levitation is nice too.

My personal favorite is the Smoked Porter. :)

2013-04-27 05:57:07 PM
And let's be honest, their beers just aren't all that great.

/wet blanket

2013-04-27 06:04:52 PM

Wogus: Gawd, anywhere but Stone Brewery?

The venue was partly chosen at the request of  ChrisGunner. Since he's willing to come up from San Diego, that gave it extra weight. Plus, I like their beer.

2013-04-27 06:15:15 PM

GWSuperfan: Hondaman4ever: So whats the ambience like? I'm not dressed to impressed

Very casual. T-Shirt, shorts and flip-flops are fine.

Something covering your ass as well. It's not THAT casual.

2013-04-27 06:23:09 PM
Im not fixed on anything. I'm just here to party

2013-04-27 06:27:22 PM

EllenTheBad: Stone's a cool place! Try the ale sampler. You'll find there are soooo many wonderful ways to get wrecked! The ambiance is casual, the food is so-so (but then they are primarily a brewery. The restaurant just helps you soak up the suds). My favorite is Arrogant Bastard Ale. Levitation is nice too.

Arrogant Bastard on tap is awesome. Farking awesome.

2013-04-27 06:33:11 PM

And let's be honest, their beers just aren't all that great.

/wet blanket

Agreed.  Bootlegger's Brewery in OC is way better.

2013-04-27 06:56:21 PM
Wogus & missmez: Philistines.

2013-04-27 07:25:00 PM

EllenTheBad: Wogus & missmez: Philistines.

Get back to me when you've had a Knuckle sandwich DIPA.  It makes Pliny taste like Bud.

2013-04-27 07:46:46 PM

2013-04-27 08:19:17 PM

EllenTheBad: Mebbe a few EKUs (not a Stone product) will cool yer jets, missmez. But I do realize tastes are as different as micro breweries across the land.. Let us agree to disagree--until I have tasted Knuckle Sandwich (what a great name!).

Isn't it though?  Thats because its 10% alcohol.

2013-04-27 08:30:20 PM
Oh, man... I have plans for that night.

2013-04-27 08:37:12 PM
Missmez: Oh My! Where can I get some?

2013-04-27 09:03:20 PM
Green Flash > Stone

2013-04-27 10:20:00 PM

2013-04-27 10:38:33 PM
North County is one of the most interesting places in the USA in my correct opinion. My sister lives there so it winds up being a nice place to visit. Can't make it in May, I'm afraid.

I met a guy in Oceanside on a pier who was the Pelican Man. He had these plastic bags full of fish. The pelicans knew him merely by appearance. He fed the fish to them by hand. They were his feral babies. It was so amazing to watch.

/fwiw: a pelican is not very good at flying and it doesn't mind much if it knocks you over if you are between it and fish
//i want to be the pelican man someday

2013-04-28 12:28:04 AM
Just got to where I'll be for the night and cracked open my introductory Stone ale. So far, better every sip. It makes me sad I'm hundreds of miles away from the brewery.
Party on, but make sure you make it to Sunday. If any of you Farkers weren't around tomorrow, I'd miss you.

2013-04-28 01:25:29 AM

Y'all just make sure to get designated drivers. The place is a good hike from any bus lines that'd be running Saturday nights, and there are stupid things you certainly wouldn't want people doing.

2013-04-28 01:35:24 AM

cyberspacedout: ChrisGunner: I just want to meet a bunch of you and get shiatty levels of drunk and do stupid things. Lets make this happen.

I hear you, Id probably get a motel room, and hotel room if I felt fancy.

2013-04-28 02:46:34 AM
May 18th? Really?

Jebus, GWSuperfan... I'll be watching the new Star Trek movie for the fifth, sixth, and seventh times on 5/18.

2013-04-28 08:30:57 PM
Finally a FARK party in my backyard!

2013-04-28 11:37:19 PM
Weekend's great too because I don't have to fight I-15 during rush hour. :D

2013-05-01 01:48:43 PM

2013-05-01 02:01:52 PM

GWSuperfan: cyberspacedout: Obligatory "didn't they do this 4 weeks ago" post

So it gets moved to the 15th, which is during the week. ;)

2013-05-01 02:04:18 PM

BKITU: So it gets moved to the 15th, which is during the week. ;)

2013-05-01 03:03:30 PM
I always have the best intentions to show up for one of these local things and never make it, so this time I'm going to say there's no way in hell I'll be there and let's see what happens.

2013-05-01 04:03:55 PM
I'm so jealous. My bar has a great relationship with Stone Brewery. They flew our bar manager and beer rep out to San Diego because we sell the most Stone products in the area. The bar manager hit it off with the brewer and now we regularly carry Stone Enjoy By on tap, in addition to their other awesome beers.

I'm hoping we'll be able to get Drew's W00tstout. If we do, I'm going to pour it into a Duke glass and burn this motherfarker down. Have fun guys!

2013-05-01 05:15:16 PM

bjmidkiff2: Finally a FARK party in my backyard!

Date change to midweek? Looks like I'm out...dammit!

2013-05-01 05:19:52 PM

Cup Check: Date change to midweek? Looks like I'm out...dammit!

GWSuperfan: Yeah, I know... I'm still contemplating going out to Stone on Saturday if people still want to get together, but the guest of honor's schedule dictated a date change.

2013-05-01 05:25:07 PM

2013-05-01 05:32:00 PM

a little info on future plans new (across the street) from the brewery.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/entertainment/the-scene/Stone-Brewing-Co- Ho tel-craft-beer-185696392.html

there isn't much around the brewery within walking distance (as mentioned) other than a new hospital so i thought the hotel was an excellent idea.

/spoiled N. County San Diegan
//excellent beer & weather

2013-05-01 06:02:37 PM

missmez: It makes Pliny taste like Bud.

just found another bar in SD with Pliny the elder on tap...had the younger but missed that...other good beers too in a VERY unassuming place

2013-05-01 06:05:58 PM
Oh snap, I live like RIGHT there.  I shall be considered to show up, if I don't have to stay late...Wednesdays are never fun for me.  Updates and such.

2013-05-01 06:07:37 PM

Dinjiin: Sad this isn't on a weekend night.  The wife and I are debating if we should move to the SD area or not and were planning on hitting up some meetup groups on the weekends to scope out the people.  We're about done with central AZ.

As I noted upthread, I'll go out there on Saturday (5/18) night, too (at the original time) if people that can't make the Wed. thing still want to meet up.

2013-05-01 06:08:17 PM

Mog32Kupo: if I don't have to stay late

Come or leave as necessary. If you can do it remotely, they have WiFi.

2013-05-01 06:09:18 PM
I wasn't sure I was going to go anyway, but now that it's Wednesday I can't go.

2013-05-01 06:16:46 PM

johnny_vegas: missmez: It makes Pliny taste like Bud.

I went there a couple months ago or so, a great tap list which means it gets busy & it's small so you have to be comfortable butt's to nuts.

2013-05-01 06:33:41 PM

Other than Stone, or other breweries around there, why?

2013-05-01 06:36:10 PM
I will attempt to make it.  It's only 20 minutes or so away and I'm curious.

2013-05-01 07:03:04 PM

johnny_vegas: missmez: It makes Pliny taste like Bud.

Most beer bars in San Diego change out their beer fairly often like once a week. They might have a few they keep on. Pliny is not one of them.  Fathom is an awesome place. Real small place right on a peer. Great views.

2013-05-01 07:04:19 PM

Isitoveryet: appreciation for Stone Brewery is a must, they make a good product & are getting larger every year.

a little info on future plans new (across the street) from the brewery.

/spoiled N. County San Diegan
//excellent beer & weather

But it's better than LA and LA is a shiat hole.

2013-05-01 07:05:44 PM

/not going.

2013-05-01 07:06:45 PM

Wow, of all the places in SD county, one of your favorites is Escondido?  Escondido is the drunk driving/immigration roadbock that you pass through on your way to/from Harrah's or to hit the lobster buffet at Valley View.

2013-05-01 07:07:53 PM

Corvus: ///only our cost of living, our traffic & population congestion sucks more than cancer.

But it's better than LA and LA is a shiat hole.

can't & will not argue with that.

2013-05-01 07:16:13 PM
Bot did you say?

2013-05-01 07:19:31 PM

titwrench: Bot did you say?

Well now it doesn't make sense.

2013-05-01 07:23:48 PM

Corvus: Is there a spot people are meeting or should I just assume it's the group of overweight balding guys?

/not going.

WTF, dude, I mean, seriously...way to assume!

/overweight balding guy...*sigh*

2013-05-01 07:26:39 PM

Actually- just look for the guy that looks like Evan Stone with a laptop in the outside seating area. :P

2013-05-01 07:27:49 PM
Honest question:

What is the purpose for the gathering?  I've been reading the comments and I'm a bit confused.

Is this a "let's see with whom we can have sex" thing or simply a "get to know people with a common interest" thing?

I don't feel comfortable going to something where the primary expectation is to "hook up".

/Please don't make fun of me...I don't do "social" very well.

2013-05-01 07:29:26 PM

WhoGAS: simply a "get to know people with a common interest" thing?

That one. Hookups *have* been known to happen at Fark Parties, but they are not the primary purpose.

2013-05-01 07:30:46 PM

GWSuperfan: WhoGAS: simply a "get to know people with a common interest" thing?

Okay.  Thank you.  And thank you for answering without snark. It's frightening for people like me to make these social leaps.

2013-05-01 07:32:47 PM

WhoGAS: It's frightening for people like me to make these social leaps.

At least it's local :) I had to get on a plane to attend my first Fark party.

2013-05-01 07:37:03 PM
Has there ever been an Australian Fark party?

2013-05-01 07:38:52 PM

Habeas Porpoise: Has there ever been an Australian Fark party?

Not that I'm aware of. I don't know if AUS has a high enough Farker density to make it happen, but it might be worth exploring. We've got several Navy guys on the site, so if they ever made a port call, that might be a good excuse.

2013-05-01 08:09:00 PM
Awwww yisss....

I'm planning on showing up.

Looking forward to meeting Beatlefreak!

2013-05-01 08:26:32 PM

GWSuperfan: Habeas Porpoise: Has there ever been an Australian Fark party?

Sounds good.

There must be a few Australian farkers, given the number of links to local papers

2013-05-01 10:09:24 PM
Huh. Wife and I might make it to both evenings ...

2013-05-02 11:55:17 AM

Corvus: PapaChester: Stone brewery is fun times, and Escondido is one of my favorite South-of-L.A. cities.

Other than Stone, or other breweries around there, why?

Vincent's on Grand. Consistently one of the best restaurants in SD county.

2013-05-03 03:24:28 AM
Mm...will need to see if I can make it now that it's in the middle of the week. If not, I'll see about going on Saturday instead.

2013-05-08 08:09:27 PM
I would go...

(long time farker here but I took a long ass break)

...but it's in bloody Escondido.

Places close to me:
Toronado
Pour House
Tiger! Tiger!
The Office
U31
Bar Pink
True Douche (I mean North)
Live Wire
Bourbon Street
Lei Lounge
Alibi
Lancers
Cheers
El Zarape (restaurant not taco shop)
Redwings
West Coast Tavern
Ye Olde Sod
The Void
Rosie O's
Gillys (mos eisley space cantina it's called lovingly - steaks on the patio during the day)
Soda Bar
...

and those are just ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I left out most of Hillcrest, South Park, Downtown and Golden Hills. I'm surprised you guys don't come down here. You can at least walk to these places.

That said if you stay in Escondido you might as well go to Churchills.

2013-05-08 08:19:26 PM

Just_Dan: I would go...

(long time farker here but I took a long ass break)

...but it's in bloody Escondido.

biatch, biatch, biatch...

Want a party closer to you? Throw one.

Also, there's a party being planned for ComicCon in the Gaslamp, just FYI.

2013-05-08 08:29:16 PM

GWSuperfan: Just_Dan: I would go...

(long time farker here but I took a long ass break)

...but it's in bloody Escondido.

biatch, biatch, biatch...

Want a party closer to you? Throw one.

Also, there's a party being planned for ComicCon in the Gaslamp, just FYI.

Comic Con parties are a biatch to go to...speaking of biatching. I had tickets to, I kid you not, eight different parties last year. I made it to exactly...1.

I work down the street from Stone. It isn't far in that aspect but when I get off of work I do not go anywhere near the job-site! But yeah, you're throwing it, so whatever.

Just saying you would probably get a better turn out if it was closer to mid city. Or not. I hardly know the sd farkers like I used to. Also, more trouble to get into because of the large amount of establishments.

2013-05-08 08:33:58 PM

Just_Dan: I would go...

(long time farker here but I took a long ass break)

...but it's in bloody Escondido.

Places close to me:
Toronado
Pour House
Tiger! Tiger!
The Office
U31
Bar Pink
True Douche (I mean North)
Live Wire
Bourbon Street
Lei Lounge
Alibi
Lancers
Cheers
El Zarape (restaurant not taco shop)
Redwings
West Coast Tavern
Ye Olde Sod
The Void
Rosie O's
Soda Bar
...

That said if you stay in Escondido you might as well go to Churchills.

Want to do a Fark it party tomorrow(Thursday) at the Ould Sod? I am going to be there anyway. Maybe pop over to Sycamore Den.

2013-05-08 08:39:56 PM

titwrench: Just_Dan: I would go...

(long time farker here but I took a long ass break)

That said if you stay in Escondido you might as well go to Churchills.

I can't this week. I'm stuck testing into the wee hours of the night! However, I the week after I can. Let me add my real email addy to my profile.

2013-05-08 08:55:43 PM

Just_Dan: titwrench: Just_Dan: I would go...

(long time farker here but I took a long ass break)

That said if you stay in Escondido you might as well go to Churchills.

Got you farkied as North Park/Normal Heights buy him a beer.

2013-05-08 10:45:59 PM

2013-05-08 11:07:03 PM

pedobearapproved: I still swear I'm going to have a Fark Party in Borrego Springs and call it "San Diego Fark Party"

43 palms? I'm there.

2013-05-09 03:09:16 AM

2013-05-09 03:16:19 AM

Enigmamf: I'm not a terribly big fan of Stone's over-hopped IPAs and other ales, but their Imperial Russian Stout is among my favorite beers, and most of their special releases are great.

Enthusiastically agreed. I like their stouts.

2013-05-12 06:55:43 PM
i will definitely be there early.

2013-05-14 07:45:39 PM

missmez: Wogus: Gawd, anywhere but Stone Brewery? Home of ridiculously over-priced, mediocre (and that's being kind) food...
And let's be honest, their beers just aren't all that great.

/wet blanket

Agreed.  Bootlegger's Brewery in OC is way better.

First off BL is crap. As are most OC brew houses.

Stone was great 5 years ago and hasn't done a single beer worth while in the time since. If you wanted good beer you would or could of picked any other brewery in town.

2013-05-14 07:54:29 PM
Moving from Dallas to San Diego on the 28, so I'll catch you next time farkers.

2013-05-14 07:57:49 PM

VivianVivisect: i will definitely be there early.

To set up the stripper pole?

2013-05-14 08:30:09 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't 5/15 (tomorrow) a Wednesday?  Which would be, unless I'm crazy, during the week?

2013-05-14 08:38:19 PM

IamAwake: GWSuperfan: Indeed, but that was during the week (which people biatched about). Plus, we have a different out-of-town guest this time.

But have fun everyone!

2013-05-14 08:43:17 PM
Since I'm the newbie ere I was trying to free up my schedule to stop in and say hi. But I'm flying tomorrow and may not get back in time. Next time

2013-05-14 08:47:32 PM
I'll probably be a bit after six. I got class until five, then I'll head home and get cleaned up.

2013-05-14 08:53:34 PM

Supes: not making the drive again in the middle of the week. It's just too far.

I'll be out there on Saturday, too. Beatlefreak's travel schedule changed, so she couldn't stay for Saturday, but show up and find me on Saturday and I'll buy your first beer.

2013-05-14 08:53:44 PM

Supes: It got moved to the middle of the week. Which is a shame. I went to the one a couple months ago at Stone Brewing and it's a great place, but not making the drive again in the middle of the week. It's just too far.

yeah - Stone is down the street from where I live, and I'd have gone then but I was out of town.  I'd go tomorrow, but...it's during the week :)

2013-05-14 10:00:21 PM
damnit, I used to live stumbling distance away from there I HATE WISCONSIN,  GODAMITSOMUCH

2013-05-15 07:10:01 AM
Remember, folks, the NTSB recommends that the drunk driving limit should be 0.05% BAC, so be safe and don't consume more than two beers or one martini...

2013-05-15 07:38:52 AM
Can someone please retask the satellite that microwaves the metals in rocks given the change in schedule?

2013-05-15 03:37:18 PM

Just_Dan: I would go...

(long time farker here but I took a long ass break)

...but it's in bloody Escondido.

Places close to me:
Toronado
Pour House
Tiger! Tiger!
The Office
U31
Bar Pink
True Douche (I mean North)
Live Wire
Bourbon Street
Lei Lounge
Alibi
Lancers
Cheers
El Zarape (restaurant not taco shop)
Redwings
West Coast Tavern
Ye Olde Sod
The Void
Rosie O's
Soda Bar
...

Don't forget about Air Conditioned Lounge with its cool sunken lounge area.

2013-05-15 08:48:41 PM
If people are looking for us, we are in the outside bar area at the big rock.

We have balloons!

2013-05-15 10:29:15 PM
Fashionably late... ETA 8pm

2013-05-16 01:42:14 PM
Sorry, couldn't make it.  Nursing a sick kid...she has surgery soon so maybe next time.

Life of a single dad...we never get out when we plan to.  :o)

2013-05-18 07:43:03 PM
If anyone wants to come out for the make-up date, I'll be out at Stone tonight from 6-8 or so (maybe a hair later if people want to hang out)

Outside bar, I'll be the guy with shoulder-length hair wearing a black t-shirt, khakis, and flip-flops.

2013-05-18 09:13:30 PM
Totally would but already made plans :( bummer

2013-05-18 09:16:42 PM