Do you have adblock enabled?
Host: CatherineM
Description: Impromptu Houston Fark Party on St. Patrick's Day
Date/Time: March 17, 2013 - 04:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: We can meet mid-afternoon at Cecil's and stay until whenever people want to go home. The high temp should be around 80 degrees so we can hang out at the picnic tables on the patio. Limited parking in back, with additional street parking. Full bar, pool tables, dart boards and jukebox inside. Best bathroom graffiti around. Bar is dog-friendly plus there are restaurants within walking distance. Attire may include but is not limited to horsehead masks, creepy old man rain coats, bikini tops, wearing your cats as slippers, and shamrock tramp stamps.

Location: Cecil's Tavern
600 W Gray St
Houston, TX 77019
(713) 527-9101
(view map)

2162 clicks; posted to Main » on 17 Mar 2013 at 5:59 AM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

2013-03-12 12:25:32 PM

Or at least the nerdiest.

2013-03-12 12:35:18 PM
There's something similar to this in the ladies'. Makes me laugh every time.

i59.photobucket.com

2013-03-12 02:05:23 PM

Shostie: I contend that Valhalla (the grad student pub at Rice) has the best bathroom graffiti.

Or at least the nerdiest.

Photo taken in the Valhalla men's room:

imageshack.us

2013-03-12 03:03:01 PM
Impromptu:  adj., made, done, or formed on or as if on the spur of the moment

You kinda missed that opportunity here, subby.

2013-03-12 03:08:10 PM
Aw maaan, right after I booked my SF flight for the weekend.

2013-03-12 03:14:19 PM
Five days' notice is not impromptu.

2013-03-12 03:21:29 PM
We start at Brian O'Neil's in the village at 7a.m.  Do you know what kind of condition I plan to be in by four?  See you there!

2013-03-12 03:37:55 PM
I have a horsehead mask *and* I'm a creepy old man with a raincoat...

I'M THERE!

2013-03-12 03:52:44 PM
  A Houston fark party?  May have to unlurk for these shenanigans.

2013-03-12 04:02:25 PM
I will be there :D  WOOHOO!!

2013-03-12 04:04:24 PM

BarkingUnicorn: You kinda missed that opportunity here, subby.

Hankie Fest: Five days' notice is not impromptu.

def. Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation

Look. I think this definition fits. Screw you guys.

2013-03-12 04:32:01 PM

A

2013-03-12 04:39:24 PM

lordbater: Yall keep in mind every weekend is a no refusal weekend in Texas.  Thanks to St. Paddy's day they are extended...  I think Friday 6am through Tuesday 6am or something like that..

A

That's why Jesus made taxis.

2013-03-12 04:47:58 PM
thats bout a half hour from me. Might have to come. I'm not normally in town on the weekend, but I am this weekend.

2013-03-12 04:58:08 PM

CatherineM: BarkingUnicorn: You kinda missed that opportunity here, subby.

Hankie Fest: Five days' notice is not impromptu.

def. Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation

Look. I think this definition fits. Screw you guys.

I don't think they understand that there's usually more than a couple days' notice for these things.

2013-03-12 10:57:34 PM
Holy farkballs, a fark party and I don't have to travel? I'm there if the wife is amenable.

2013-03-12 11:47:47 PM
A Sunday afterlunch?  I'll have to check with the warden,  but it seems doable.

/and yeah, I once wrote an entire final exam (English class option to spontaneously write a short story in two hours) based on graffiti I'd read in the Valhalla bathroom a few days before.  I look forward to reading Cecil's crap-on-the-walls.  Maybe I'll be inspired.

2013-03-13 12:43:23 AM
Finally. I'm there.

2013-03-13 01:55:04 AM

/what?

2013-03-13 08:45:28 AM

Bung_Howdy: How is it "impromptu" (Done without being planned, organized, or rehearsed) if it's announced days in advance and advertised? I'm sure it's just a coincidence-

/what?

This was addressed above. Getting everyone together with less than a week's notice counts as impromptu for me. Did you have an alternate timeframe you wanted to propose as evidence to strengthen your criticism?

That being said, I'm super excited to see such a response. All the Houston farkers have been favorited for future reference. I can't wait to meet everyone!

2013-03-14 07:05:47 PM
The girlfriend and I may be there.  I just moved to Houston about a month ago and am still trying to find a job, but I have her blessing to go out and drink beer.

2013-03-15 11:23:00 AM
I thought farkers hated Houston...go figure.

2013-03-15 11:34:09 AM
Hrm.... I might just have to do this. :)

2013-03-15 11:40:47 AM
I'm just going to bail out and ghost ride my car into traffic on the way in.

It will be easier than trying to find parking at a bar on St. Patrick's day in that part of town. :)

2013-03-15 11:48:55 AM

Mirrorz: I'm just going to bail out and ghost ride my car into traffic on the way in.

Yeah, I thought about that briefly but I figured there would be a better chance of people being able to stumble by on a Sunday afternoon than a Friday or Saturday night..

2013-03-15 11:54:21 AM
I am trying to get there.

2013-03-15 11:55:19 AM
Wait...so where are we meeting and at what time?

2013-03-15 11:56:55 AM

MochaUGA: Wait...so where are we meeting and at what time?

Scroll up. Way up.

2013-03-15 11:58:07 AM
Damn. I'll try to be there but I think my shutdown might start tomorrow. Here's hoping it doesn't.

Long shot but anyone in here know anything about the Houston Skeptics Society? Saw them on Meet-Up and thought about attending a get together.

2013-03-15 11:58:23 AM
Wish I could make it, but can't...

2013-03-15 12:01:21 PM

biohazard76: Wish I could make it, but can't...

You now have to give us a detailed explanation as to why.

2013-03-15 12:01:33 PM

2013-03-15 12:03:07 PM
If anyone is going up from Lake Jackson, could I get a lift?

2013-03-15 12:10:07 PM

No_Good_Name: How are you identifying as farkers other than the obvious basement dweller look.

I think our top hats and monocles will give us away.

2013-03-15 12:17:57 PM

I posted attire suggestions in the invite..
Also, I'll be there drunkenly yelling at people, "ARE YOU FROM THE INTERNET?"

2013-03-15 12:26:26 PM
Is it impromptu if it is scheduled in advance? :S

2013-03-15 12:27:26 PM
My Fark!It got all total on me!Thank you!!!

2013-03-15 12:28:15 PM

CatherineM: biohazard76: Wish I could make it, but can't...

You now have to give us a detailed explanation as to why.

Awww... that was purposeful obfuscation...

Nothing exciting, taking care of some obligations...

2013-03-15 12:32:40 PM

biohazard76: CatherineM: biohazard76: Wish I could make it, but can't...

You now have to give us a detailed explanation as to why.

Awww... that was purposeful obfuscation...

Nothing exciting, taking care of some obligations...

I have a lot of respect for anyone who can work "obfuscation" into a conversation correctly. Good job.

2013-03-15 12:38:11 PM

biohazard76: Nothing exciting, taking care of some obligations...

Ahh, the old mid Sunday afternoon self high colonic. Been there...

2013-03-15 12:41:46 PM
Maybe.

2013-03-15 12:59:33 PM
damn... working all day Sunday,

Maybe next time.

2013-03-15 01:52:40 PM
Texas is running a "No refusal" weekend to catch drunk drivers.

Checkpoints, enhanced patrols, roadside blood drawing instead of Intoxilizer breath test. Judge or Justice of Peace right there to sign search warrants to enforce the blood draw.

Breath mints can be probably cause because you might be hiding alcohol breath. Soda cans, soda bottles give probable cause because there might be booze in there and you have a violation. Open containers mean "open containers" and can be checked.

Be careful Farkers.

2013-03-15 01:58:36 PM

Gimli_Gloin: Texas is running a "No refusal" weekend to catch drunk drivers.

Be careful Farkers.

Or just be responsible and don't get hammered.

2013-03-15 02:11:53 PM

Gimli_Gloin: Texas is running a "No refusal" weekend to catch drunk drivers.

Be careful Farkers.

Is that even legal? It seems somewhat shady.

2013-03-15 02:18:28 PM
I'll drive?

2013-03-15 02:31:46 PM
sethen320:

Appreciate it... now, since I can't make it out Sunday, I need to find a decent place with a patio and happy hour for today around 4pm...

2013-03-15 02:35:09 PM
I'll be there.

2013-03-15 03:06:06 PM

biohazard76: sethen320:

I manage to have happy hour anywhere that I can procure beer.

2013-03-15 03:15:38 PM

biohazard76: sethen320:

What section of town?

2013-03-15 03:43:09 PM
Other festivities on my calender have me booked.  Until next time.....

2013-03-15 03:44:28 PM

sethen320: biohazard76: sethen320:

What section of town?

Houston is like 3 hours wide at that time of day.

You can always go to midtown?
Does Little Woodrow's still have turtle races?

2013-03-15 03:47:53 PM
Missed it by that much

2013-03-15 04:07:15 PM
theguyyousaw:

You can always go to midtown?
Does Little Woodrow's still have turtle races?

Yeah, going to hit up a place close to work here in a little bit... too nice a day not to be outside enjoying it.

2013-03-15 04:13:30 PM

biohazard76: theguyyousaw:

You can always go to midtown?
Does Little Woodrow's still have turtle races?

Tell me about it. I am officially off work now and it looks beautiful outside.

2013-03-15 07:26:38 PM
Maybe, I dunno.

2013-03-16 05:03:58 PM

RabidAnt: A Houston fark party?  May have to unlurk for these shenanigans.

Even I am coming out of hiding

2013-03-16 05:04:45 PM
Damn, I just moved from Houston, Bastards!

2013-03-16 05:48:22 PM
I really need a ride.I drive a suburban, needs gas.

2013-03-16 06:04:38 PM
I might be able to make this. Coolzie.

2013-03-16 06:17:37 PM
I don't usually partake in St Pattys day, but I may come out for this one.

2013-03-16 06:51:24 PM
Myself and Mr. Name will be there. I'll be wearing green if that helps identify me.

2013-03-16 07:17:57 PM
Before I agree to attend this shindig can I get a pass excusing my behavior? You can put "highly intoxicated" as the reason.

Thanks.

/Hopefully I will be there, one of my kink groups is doing a semi-vanilla outing in a park very near my house. I may be in no shape to visit with y'all after that.

2013-03-16 07:38:46 PM
frogdamnit why do these things happen when I'mbusy

2013-03-16 09:40:34 PM
I'm bummed that I'm going to miss this - just flew into LGA today.

Or at least the nerdiest.

agreed - funny stuff in there. Valhalla is 100 yards from my office and it's where I get a sandwich every day for lunch and quite often other options later in the day...

have fun y'all

2013-03-17 09:18:33 AM
Gotta work till 6 tonight. Sorry.

2013-03-17 12:00:33 PM

2013-03-17 02:28:59 PM

CatherineM: Can't wait to see everyone today!! I'm so excited by the surprising number of farkers who have come out of hiding to post here, and I'll be even more excited to meet you people in person!!

In varying degrees of "..so you need a ride to go and hang out with people you met on the internet? ..", my unimpressed friends turned me down.

I even tried to tell them about TF, and nothing.

ihazasad.jpg

2013-03-17 03:27:45 PM

I even tried to tell them about TF, and nothing.

ihazasad.jpg

That sucks, dude. Some people just don't get it :)

We'll have to hang out soon, though.

2013-03-17 03:59:52 PM

CatherineM: theguyyousaw: My situation is looking grim. Nobody in Lake Jackson knows what Fark is, and are nowhere near as excited about this as I am.

I even tried to tell them about TF, and nothing.

ihazasad.jpg

That sucks, dude. Some people just don't get it :)

We'll have to hang out soon, though.

Have fun y'all and, for fun's sake, be safe!

2013-03-17 05:19:48 PM
I'm here farkers. Where are you?

2013-03-17 05:51:07 PM
We're all outside right now, people.

2013-03-17 07:48:06 PM
I would have liked to do this, but couldn't swing it this time.

2013-03-17 09:00:58 PM
Sh*t I forgot about this over the course of two days. Doh!

2013-03-17 09:29:09 PM

Mirrorz: Sh*t I forgot about this over the course of two days. Doh!

I am disappoint.

2013-03-18 10:15:05 AM
WHY DIDNT I SEE THIS!!!! :(

2013-03-18 01:11:40 PM
Impromptu beach party?

As in take the rest of the day off come to surfside.

2013-03-18 03:33:57 PM

CatherineM: Mirrorz: Sh*t I forgot about this over the course of two days. Doh!

I am disappoint.