Host: thebpem
Description: SE Michigan/NW Ohio Fark Party April 27 Ashley's Ann Arbor 7:30PM
Date/Time: April 27, 2013 - 07:30 PM (local time)
Party Info: Hey Farkers/Farkettes Lapusk and I (thebpem) want to have a party/pubcrawl. I'll be travelling from south of Toledo and she'll be coming from Flint so we've decided Ann Arbor is a middle ground. We plan on starting at Ashleys and depending on what people want to do when they show up we can stay or go.

No more bad suggestions, if you want a party in Detroit, set it up yourself.

4475 clicks; posted to Main » on 27 Apr 2013 at 7:59 AM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

2013-02-28 09:52:33 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  A fark party I may actually be able to go to.  Intriguing.

2013-02-28 09:53:59 PM

2013-02-28 10:01:09 PM

Seconded

2013-02-28 10:02:19 PM
The only good thing about Ann Arbor is that I saw Robert Plant there

2013-02-28 10:09:13 PM

murphy_31: The only good thing about Ann Arbor is that I saw Robert Plant there

The only time I've been to Ann Arbor was to see Beck play. Great show, especially with the long walk-on by Jack White. But yeah, AA has nothing going for it, Detroit or even Toledo would make better options.

2013-02-28 10:10:55 PM

WAIT, this is on a Wednesday?!  Why the Hell can't we have an MI during the weekend for once?

2013-02-28 10:12:42 PM
Hey!  I could totally drive there.

2013-02-28 10:13:21 PM
Nevermind, I was looking at the Tigers schedule and something got all farked up

2013-02-28 10:13:42 PM

Methadone Girls: Hey!  I could totally drive there.

ORLY?

2013-02-28 10:14:05 PM
Braves are in town that day, by the way.

2013-02-28 10:21:59 PM

murphy_31: Methadone Girls: Hey!  I could totally drive there.

ORLY?

Yeah, it doesn't look far from Detroit

2013-02-28 10:23:09 PM

Methadone Girls: murphy_31: Methadone Girls: Hey!  I could totally drive there.

ORLY?

Yeah, it doesn't look far from Detroit

Intriguing

2013-02-28 10:29:48 PM

Methadone Girls: Hey!  I could totally drive there.

And limp back

2013-02-28 10:36:34 PM

Ceteris Paribus says: Methadone Girls: Hey!  I could totally drive there.

And limp back

a girl can always hope.  :D

2013-02-28 10:40:13 PM
Don't do it in Detroit; everyone will get murdered.

2013-02-28 10:53:43 PM

Would love to see Jack White

2013-03-01 12:15:11 AM
Well this makes me a bit jealous. All my favorites seem to be going.

2013-03-01 12:17:56 AM

CommieTaoist: Ann Arbor is a whore.

Came here for this.

Ohhhhh we dont give a damn about the whole state of michigan, the whole state of michigan......

//oh

2013-03-01 12:23:46 AM
Ooh, this one is doable. And I can hit up all the places I've missed in Bowling Green since graduating on the way through.

2013-03-01 12:28:03 AM

2013-03-01 01:05:15 AM

CommieTaoist: Ann Arbor is a whore.

that's not what I heard: http://raygunsite.com/shop/guys/t-shirts-34/ann-arbor-10961

2013-03-01 01:08:59 AM

2013-03-01 01:12:55 AM
So many better places than Ann Arbor for this.

Casino area is good.
Novi area is another good choice, plenty of bars and hotels in a small area.
Quite a few areas on the north side of Detroit with plenty of good food, drinking, and hotel options.

He'll, I know a nice little brewery in Plymouth that'd be a great bar to drink at with a really tasty restaurant right next door that'd be more fun than Ann Arbor.

2013-03-01 01:20:54 AM
I'm down.....for NOT Ann Arbor. Let's make it downtown Detroit.

2013-03-01 01:23:47 AM
I've had my boobies online since July of 2010 and my moobies irl for a bit longer, and I've wanted to goto a Fark party but haven't had the opportunity to go nor the age to go (nor the balls to, probably), and now I have all four. I've heard these parties are a helluva good time.

2013-03-01 01:29:21 AM
All the Ann Arbor hate. While i an currently in Ann Arbor downtown Detroit, especially a casino sounds like the best location.

2013-03-01 01:31:47 AM

And, because I'm an idiot, I forgot Arbor Brewing

msupf: So many better places than Ann Arbor for this.

Casino area is good.
Novi area is another good choice, plenty of bars and hotels in a small area.

Are you talking about Liberty Street Brewing?

Since I'm up and not doing anything particularly useful, I'm just going to post links to all of the Metro Detroit breweries/brew pubs I can think of off the top of my head:  Kuhnhenn, Dragonmead, Bastone, Atwater, Motor City Brewing, Traffic Jam and Snug, Detroit Beer Company, Royal Oak Brewery

2013-03-01 01:55:46 AM

Ceteris Paribus says: I'm not going to A^2

Former Michigander here. Formetly from Southfield. I just don't get this. Its the same 30 minutes from Southfield to Ann Arbor as it is to downtown as it is to Grosse Pointe. If I was still in town, it would be a no-brainer to make the trip to Ann Arbor for a FARK party.

2013-03-01 02:00:24 AM

Get your drinks at Grizzly Peak and your food at Frita Badito's.  Tons of other options nearby if you need 'em, too.

2013-03-01 02:00:28 AM

murphy_31: The only good thing about Ann Arbor is that I saw Robert Plant there

I saw the Dalai Lama there. And the Karmapa. And saw George McGovern debate Ed Meese about the 1988 candidates and issues.

2013-03-01 02:24:12 AM

2013-03-01 02:55:52 AM

murphy_31: CommieTaoist: murphy_31: The only good thing about Ann Arbor is that I saw Robert Plant there

Would love to see Jack White

Are you saying that Jack White be in Ann Arbor?

2013-03-01 03:03:51 AM

WI241TH: skybreaker:Ann Arbor is actually out of the way for...... the world. If you want people to come in from out of town, my casino plan is the best, you could stay at any of the three casinos and walk to any of the other ones downtown. We could actually probably assemble a pretty badass Detroit bar crawl

First off, this.  Please, weekend.

Second, even if Ann Arbor wasn't stupidly convenient for me, casino idea = lame.

Kevin72: murphy_31: The only good thing about Ann Arbor is that I saw Robert Plant there

My coworkers partied with Drew Barrymore and Justin Long twice.   Of course I was out of town.  Thanks movie tax credit.

/RIP, too

Kevin72: skybreaker: Honestly, f*ck Ann Arbor, do one of the Casinos downtown. More hotel opportunity

Ceteris Paribus says: I'm not going to A^2

People be lazy, that's all.  Ann Arbor is central for Toledo, West Michiganders, Flint, *and* SE Michiganders.

That said, weeknight again = eek.  I probably couldn't swing a Wednesday, I tend to work crazy late on Wednesdays and/or Thursdays.

2013-03-01 03:09:54 AM

First off, come on, can we kill the Detroit murder jokes?

Second: Ypsi is an awesome idea (although even father out for the effing BFE northern suburb complainers).  You can reserve the building next to Sidetrack's for free (Frenchies IIRC).  I don't know how early you have to ask for it, but they have kickass food *and* a kickass tap selection.

So that's probably my vote.  On a weekend, dammit.  If it's moved to Tuesday I could definitely come.  if Thursday I would probably end up bringing 6-8 coworkers along.  They're fine people, Stuart.  It's just gonna be fun explaining what a Fark party is.

/and I'm going to bed now

2013-03-01 03:13:54 AM

KawaiiNot: A Weds Fark party... I guess they really don't want the Ohions to attend? Even if (theoretically) I lived near the city of Detroit, no way I'd drive out to Ann Arbor on a weeknight. (Unless Jack White will be there of course)

According to my calendar, April 27, 2013 is a Saturday.

2013-03-01 03:14:20 AM

NOVI.

Are you f--king kidding me.

Christ.

Because when I think of "fun in SE Michigan", Novi... actually, Novi never, ever, EVER comes to mind.

/only good thing about Novi is the Great Lakes Myth Society song
//and even they admit before they play it that Novi itself sucks

2013-03-01 03:17:26 AM
The only way I would go to Detroit is if the party was at Slows. I've always wanted to go to one of these things, now I might be able to?!?!?!

2013-03-01 03:18:20 AM

Polish Hussar: Polish Hussar: I'd be up for anything in Ann Arbor or the Detroit metropolitan area.  If you do it in Ann Arbor, I would recommend Ashley's (huge beer selection) and Grizzly Peak (good beer, better food).  Can anyone speak for Jolly Pumpkin's Ann Arbor location?  I've only been to the one in Traverse City and I've been told they're somewhat different.

And, because I'm an idiot, I forgot Arbor Brewing

msupf: So many better places than Ann Arbor for this.

Casino area is good.
Novi area is another good choice, plenty of bars and hotels in a small area.

Are you talking about Liberty Street Brewing?

Traffic Jam has good food, and is across the street from Motor City Brewing.

Dragonmead is f--king amazing but in BFE Warren, and there is nothing around it.  Except a freeway.  It's on the service drive.  Less food selection.  But amazing beer, and a ridiculous amount of variety.

Ann Arbor has Arbor Brewing Company, Ashley's (don't brew, but good tap selection), Grizzly Peak, Jolly Pumpkin, Blue Tractor, and Wolverine (on the edge of town, rest are all within stumbling distance downtown).

2013-03-01 03:22:18 AM

Polish Hussar: StreetlightInTheGhetto: So that's probably my vote. On a weekend, dammit. If it's moved to Tuesday I could definitely come. if Thursday I would probably end up bringing 6-8 coworkers along. They're fine people, Stuart. It's just gonna be fun explaining what a Fark party is.

According to my calendar, April 27, 2013 is a Saturday.

Oh.  Sorry I listened to people upthread.  I woke up, couldn't sleep, and hit refresh.  a bit groggy.  :)

I still vote Ann Arbor or reserving space at Sidetracks/Frenchies if not Detroit.  The suburbs are lame, and if it's in Ann Arbor there's a $5 cab after 11 that'll take you to whatever hotel you need to go to.  And for some odd reason, maybe that large university I heard so much about, there *is* hotel space in Ann Arbor.

2013-03-01 03:35:18 AM

skybreaker: WI241TH: skybreaker: Honestly, f*ck Ann Arbor, do one of the Casinos downtown. More hotel opportunity

Seconded

Walk between the casinos!  Good times!

www.ips-dc.org

I really don't get you people. If you just said "Greektown" I could buy it.

2013-03-01 03:37:17 AM

StreetlightInTheGhetto: msupf: Novi area is another good choice, plenty of bars and hotels in a small area.

NOVI.

Are you f--king kidding me.

Christ.

/only good thing about Novi is the Great Lakes Myth Society song
//and even they admit before they play it that Novi itself sucks

What? Years ago there used to be a rather good bar and food scene once you got away from the malls.

Bi Bim Bab comes to mind for food, and they had a pretty good bar right next to it.

2013-03-01 03:52:40 AM

StreetlightInTheGhetto: I still vote Ann Arbor

I vote for Ann Arbor as well.  I'm fine with Detroit, but I'd prefer Ann Arbor.  The only thing I would object to would be the casinos.  I don't gamble (no moral objections, I just suck at it), and standing around watching other people play table games is not my idea of a good time.  Also, I'm pretty sure the casinos charge more for food and drinks than the other places downtown (sorry, free booze for gamblers doesn't exist in Detroit).  One other thing to consider about Detroit, the Tigers have a 1:05pm home game on April 27th, so we might have to contend with the remnants of the crowd that decided to make a night of it downtown.

2013-03-01 04:08:37 AM
Ah hell, figures I'm working that weekend.  Oh well.

/come visit me at work!

2013-03-01 04:47:58 AM
There are also plenty of charter rides used by some of the bigger places that can probably take you from places like the BBQ and Lager House west of Woodward over into the Greektown mayhem east of Woodward.

2013-03-01 05:07:10 AM
I fully support Ann Arbor.  Don't like casinos, they're too obnoxious.  Breweries seem like a better setting for a FARK party.  Also, Ann Arbor is a bit closer for me at least, I'm coming from GR.  Michigan is now on the map for good beer!

2013-03-01 05:12:47 AM
Also, any West MI Farkers interested in carpooling?  I can fit 3 more

2013-03-01 05:43:41 AM
April 27 is a Saturday according to the Gregorian calendar.  Also, hotel space is not an argument for Detroit vs. Ann Arbor.  There are 18 hotels available that night:  http://alturl.com/7ewk6

2013-03-01 06:32:39 AM

StreetlightInTheGhetto: Chuck Ruffcorn: Ann Arbor? Detroit? Why not split the difference and do Ypsi? Less whores and about the same odds of getting murdered. Depot Town? Corner Brewery?

First off, come on, can we kill the Detroit murder jokes?

I see what you did there!

As for Detroit City proper, there aren't a lot of  pubs that either A. don't have a band playing on the weekend or B. aren't packed to the gills on Saturday night, economy notwithstanding.  Most of the out of Michigan Fark parties tend to be at yuppie type watering holes, that have lots of beer taps, but not overly crowded.  I can't think of any such bar in the city of Detroit, although there is a new sports bar in the MGM Grand casino, appropriately called TAP.  Of all the casino bars, this would probably be the most appropriate, should there be a future D-town Fark party.

/but a SPORT's bar?
//eh, all us nerds would pay attention to each other, for once

2013-03-01 07:03:55 AM
I live in AA and I'll be sure to hide my kids, hide my wife from you Farkers.

2013-03-01 07:16:24 AM
I'm in Northville, right next door to Ann Arbor.  This idea is intriguing, as it's so close ... but then again, it might require going to Ann Arbor, which is full of people from Ann Arbor.  Hmmm.

2013-03-01 07:20:02 AM

elvindeath: I would much rather it be at MGM Grand ... although then I'll spend all my time gambling.

And smelling like an ashtray.  The casinos are exempt from the indoor smoking ban, and despite the high ceilings and ventilation systems you can't get away from the smell of cigarette smoke.

2013-03-01 08:29:38 AM
I don't feel like driving across the state to watch people gamble.

/quality interaction, talking, etc.
 //slashesslashes

2013-03-01 08:35:46 AM
If having a nice, upscale, walkable, centrally located place with a large variety of brew pubs, bars, restaurants, and enough hotel space, Ann Arbor is an obvious choice.

2013-03-01 08:58:17 AM
I'm in.  Ann Arbor is better than Detroit.  There are places to go in Detroit, but they're pretty far from each other.  In Ann Arbor, you can't turn around without finding another restaurant/bar.
Novi has a couple of nice restaurants, but it's not where I would go for a party or pub crawl.

2013-03-01 09:22:19 AM
Why dear FSM is it on a Wednesday?!

But I will try to make it.

2013-03-01 09:25:33 AM

thismommentinblackhistory and bow, do you think you can drive up?  Love to see you boys again.

2013-03-01 09:28:44 AM

Space Station Wagon: Why dear FSM is it on a Wednesday?!

But I will try to make it.

It's not -- APRIL 27th is a Saturday

What Knot, how about you?  too-old?

2013-03-01 09:32:02 AM
I am in Ann Arbor so naturally think that's the best idea. Seriously, though, anyone coming from out of town who thinks a "bar crawl" in Detroit is a good idea is probably imagining downtown Detroit as something it's not. On a Saturday night you'd be walking literally miles sometimes between bars, very little traffic and few people around, through high crime areas. So, actually hurriedly piling into cabs, or drunkenly wondering where this People Mover thing takes you (hint: Greektown, then 15 minutes later, Greektown again).

Novi is a terrible idea. So is Plymouth. If y'all want to walk from bar to bar, Ann Arbor is the best choice by far. As a bonus, by the 27th most of the undergrads will be gone.

2013-03-01 09:44:47 AM
Has anyone biatched about the venue yet?  Because that would be helpful.

2013-03-01 09:55:04 AM
I'd be happy to talk to some people and see what they could do for us there.

2013-03-01 11:44:20 AM

schatz: Also, any West MI Farkers interested in carpooling?  I can fit 3 more

Only if you're hot.

2013-03-01 11:58:07 AM
SE Michigan/NW Ohio...a match made in Heaven.  By which I mean Hell.

It is bad enough that you are combining the worst possible elements of both states, but you are meeting in Ann Arbor (a pain to drive in on a normal day) while a road rally is going on (it starts at 4pm), and you are going to hang out at a jazz club when Heywood Banks will be at the Ark.

Seriously, do they not have Google where you people live?  I suggest you meet in Ypsilanti.  That way you will be raising the IQ's of Flint, Toledo, and Ypsi all at once.

2013-03-01 12:36:53 PM

CommieTaoist: Ann Arbor is a whore.

QFT

2013-03-01 12:59:59 PM

MikeSass: SE Michigan/NW Ohio...a match made in Heaven.  By which I mean Hell.

Damn you folks are grumpy. Unless that road rally is new, I've managed to go years upon years without it affecting my life in the slightest. There are plenty of other bars to move between, and the Ark crowds don't generally rush the bar after the show is out. And as much as I love Ypsi, you've got all of 3 choices if Depot Town is it. 4 if Wurst Bar is included and it's an uphill walk. $5 night ride does *not* work in Depot Town.

2013-03-01 01:14:51 PM
If it makes it in A-squared, I may decide to appear and make the pilgrimage from the capital city area...   there's no farking way I'm going to road dog it down to DeTwat....   had too many dicey situations down in GreekTown and around the Joe as it is...  no thanks.

I have no suggestions for AA, but it is a pleasurable city as long as you can put up with the people from AA...

2013-03-01 01:26:16 PM

brap: Has anyone biatched about the venue yet?  Because that would be helpful.

Happens every time.

Especially if it's "in" Philly.

2013-03-01 01:43:26 PM
Motorcity casino in Detroit...because I have a free room there I can use.  FARK party in my hotel room!!!

2013-03-01 04:33:22 PM

Mr.BobDobalita: Would anyone be interested in hitting Planet Rock ahead of time for some climbing?

Yes, actually.  Haven't been there since 2006, but I had a lot of fun every time I went.

2013-03-01 04:51:09 PM
MikeSass: SE Michigan/NW Ohio...a match made in Heaven.  By which I mean Hell.

A Fark Party in Hell?

you might be onto something

2013-03-01 04:57:52 PM
For all of you people biatching about Ann Arbor, there is nobody forcing you to go so just do us all a favor and STFU.

2013-03-01 04:59:24 PM
That said, A2 is close enough to home that I could easily go.

2013-03-01 05:02:09 PM
Ok guys.. here to answer some questions:

1) APRIL 27th is on a Saturday, not a wednesday.  That would be MARCH 27th.

2) If you guys want to host a Fark party in Detroit, I think that is great!!

However, BP and I thought the Ann Arbor would work for driving both from in and out of state (including ill).  I currently am working on hotel accomidations, (someone mentioned ypsi.. that is where I'm looking for hotels).. and a couple of great places to get drunk and molest eachother (since we all know that is the point of a fark party.)

If ya need to email me.. please feel free to do so.  m­eli­s­sae1975[nospam-﹫-backwards]l­i­amg­*com

Lookin' forward to meetin' ya'll.

2013-03-01 06:39:19 PM
Okay, I'm there. All-nighter, right?

2013-03-01 07:21:29 PM
All-nighter!  And as much as I like the town name of Ypsilanti, there isn't much there....
For all those suggesting Detroit, please consider those of us who don't live on the east side of the state.  Ann Arbor is a more centralized (fair) location for the whole group.
Are we all just cranky cuz we're all farking sick of this weather?

/though if we were to have an additional party in Detroit, I would consider a FARK party round 2.
//will be my first FARK party
///sooper excited

2013-03-01 08:05:30 PM
I think I might be in for this one. After all, April 27 is my birthday! And I want to see Heywood Banks the same night. Keep me posted Farkers!

/eip, etc

2013-03-01 08:47:09 PM
Did not know Heywood Banks was going to be there.. I would be interesrted in tickets to that as well.

My first Fark party was Vegas.

All Nighter for sure.. and if you can find cheap hotel in A^2... grats!

2013-03-01 09:12:47 PM
Actually it looks like you can get many options of hotels for between 59-80 dollars a night.  I can make a list if anyone needs them.

2013-03-01 09:50:02 PM
Love the Ypsi idea (duh!)
Honestly, I went to a Fark party last year in Royal Oak that must have drawn a whopping 7 people. So location is the thing.
Casino is way to go.

2013-03-02 01:35:49 AM

Huron77: Love the Ypsi idea (duh!)
Casino is way to go.

Dude... no casino.

But wasn't the RO party on a weekday? In any case the last 2 I knew of work came up.

Personally casinos = boring and expensive to me, plus the AA/Ypsi more central idea.

Plus - can't emphasize this enough especially since the SO works late and commutes by bike... $5 night ride in Ann Arbor. And Ypsi if you get to the transit center or Abe's on Michigan Ave.

2013-03-02 01:56:06 AM

Lapusk: Ok guys.. here to answer some questions:

1) APRIL 27th is on a Saturday, not a wednesday.  That would be MARCH 27th.

2) If you guys want to host a Fark party in Detroit, I think that is great!!

If ya need to email me.. please feel free to do so.  mel­iss­a­e1­97­5[nospam-﹫-backwards]l­ia­mg*com

Lookin' forward to meetin' ya'll.

Likewise.

2013-03-02 04:25:08 PM
Ok ..you guys can stop signing my email up for stuff...thanks for thinking of me..:)

2013-03-02 09:02:23 PM

Scruffinator: Ah hell, figures I'm working that weekend.  Oh well.

/come visit me at work!

Where is work? What the password we tell your mom to let us into the "cave of awesome" (the basement)?

2013-03-11 05:19:08 PM

Sensei: Not crazy about Ann Arbor, but don't want to quibble.  Any ideas about group rates for hotels there?  schatz, I'm in GR, too, we should talk.

I just noticed this thread. I think we can definitely do this.

2013-03-14 10:50:12 AM

It's too bad that the Toldeo fark party venue was a total dive and the employees there were dicks...

Honestly, this started as a reason for me to sex up lapusk in person and it's steamrolled into this. AA is halfway in between. I just found out yesterday that I'm leaving in 6 months, if I'm going to make one mistake while I'm here lets make sure it involves beer.

/Yes the Toledo party was pretty fun
//For a gay sausage fest
///NTTAWWT

2013-03-14 05:34:47 PM

thebpem: thismomentinblackhistory: We threw a Fark party in Toledo recently, and it was fun and well-attended. Bow and I joked about it so often that it turned into a real thing. You know it's a good one when people stay longer than they said they would!

/Yes the Toledo party was pretty fun
//For a gay sausage fest
///NTTAWWT

Haha, well hopefully we survive St. Patrick's Day. I'm about to head in to make another 200 Jell-O shots. 1 box of Jello-O, 1 pint of water, 1 pint of Vodka. But wait! There's more! We infuse vodka with fruit. I'm putting fruit that has been soaking in vodka in the Jell-O shots, so they will be weapon's grade.

2013-03-15 02:18:27 PM

thismomentinblackhistory: aha, well hopefully we survive St. Patrick's Day. I'm about to head in to make another 200 Jell-O shots. 1 box of Jello-O, 1 pint of water, 1 pint of Vodka. But wait! There's more! We infuse vodka with fruit. I'm putting fruit that has been soaking in vodka in the Jell-O shots, so they will be weapon's grade.

Make a couple with Fish Sauce. It's an old party trick my friends would pull. By the time you find it, you're too drunk to notice. It's a great conversational piece.

Have fun! Be safe!

2013-03-16 07:34:48 AM
Besides groping all the cute farkers there..I have been looking up karaoke bars..any one interested in that after drinking a few hours?

2013-03-25 09:51:20 PM
Need to do a Lansing FARK partay one of these days.

2013-03-26 07:18:12 PM

2013-03-27 08:15:20 PM

SirVagTheTighty: SirVagTheTighty: Would anyone come to a cincinnati party? I am afraid it would just be me and dynascape

Well, as there have been... maybe half a dozen (or more) Cincy/NKY Fark parties.. Just schedule one.

Molly Malones is a good place to have it.. They liked us.

2013-03-27 08:18:28 PM
A Fark party at Ashley's, you say?  I might just make the four-hour drive for that, if work stops dominating my life by then.

2013-03-27 08:24:59 PM
CommieTaoist: Ann Arbor is a whore.

QFT

farm2.staticflickr.com

GIS for Ann Arbor is a Whore ... mucho lulz

/ every B1G school represented

2013-03-27 08:43:40 PM

steelydanfan: Need to do a Lansing FARK partay one of these days.

Lol.  That 30 minute drive too much ?

2013-03-27 08:59:26 PM

CommieTaoist: Ann Arbor is a whore.

This is true.  Appalachian State, biatches.

SirVagTheTighty: CommieTaoist: Ann Arbor is a whore.

Came here for this.

//oh

I-O!!!

Chad Henne is a dick.

Chach: Good call on Ann Arbor.  Nailed it on the first try.  Between Michigan and Ohio, Ann Arbor is the best city the two states have to offer.

If by the best city, you mean a shiat-infested anal sore, then yes.  Ann Arbor is a whore.  A dirty, stinky, herpes-laden whore.

buckeyebrain: CommieTaoist: Ann Arbor is a whore.

QFT

This made me happy.

veedeevadeevoodee: CommieTaoist: Ann Arbor is a whore.

QFT

[farm2.staticflickr.com image 360x480]

GIS for Ann Arbor is a Whore ... mucho lulz

/ every B1G school represented

Damn straight.  They're the owners of the most embarrassing loss in college football history.  A lower division comes into your house, the same year Henne and crew decided to come back to finally beat The Ohio State University, and lose your first game on a blocked field goal.  They are pathetic and they should be barred from every playing college football again.  Douches.

2013-03-27 08:59:48 PM

elvindeath: steelydanfan: Need to do a Lansing FARK partay one of these days.

Lol.  That 30 minute drive too much ?

It's not the drive, idiot.

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not about driving 70 minutes, or longer if you want to avoid the hell that is US 23

2013-03-27 09:09:09 PM

steelydanfan: Need to do a Lansing FARK partay one of these days.

Mason farker, seconding that motion.  I have my reservations about going into enemy (wolverine) home turf, and Murder City isn't exactly appealing.

2013-03-27 09:10:15 PM
Y'all are too far north; you should go crash Cedar Point. Or at least wait till the weather's warmer.

2013-03-27 09:13:58 PM
Considering my name here, I love the prospect of Ashley's in a2.  Even considering I'm transplanted to Kalamazoo.

2013-03-27 09:16:55 PM

steelydanfan: It's not the drive, idiot.

Maybe a party isn't the best idea for you anyway....

2013-03-27 09:17:09 PM

2013-03-27 09:30:26 PM
See you guys there!

2013-03-27 09:31:57 PM

megarian: See you guys there!

Need a ride?

2013-03-27 09:32:52 PM

The Ice Cream Man: megarian: See you guys there!

Need a ride?

Not unless my car explodes.

Ah fark, I jinxed myself, didn't I?

2013-03-27 09:43:08 PM

megarian: The Ice Cream Man: megarian: See you guys there!

Need a ride?

Not unless my car explodes.

Ah fark, I jinxed myself, didn't I?

Well, I promise not to sabotage it.  See you at the par tay!

2013-03-27 09:56:05 PM

00batou: steelydanfan: Need to do a Lansing FARK partay one of these days.

Thirded.

Or maybe at Crunchy's in East Lansing. Or even Michigan Brewing Company in Webberville.

2013-03-27 09:59:28 PM
A Fark party I could bike to?

Semi-lurker is a go.

2013-03-27 09:59:36 PM
O-H

2013-03-27 10:03:35 PM

megarian: Or even Michigan Brewing Company in Webberville.

MBC closed last April after going into bankruptcy. I found out one weekend when I went out for the tour and there was a simple closed sign on the door :(

2013-03-27 10:08:29 PM
Oh and for those not feeling it: The nice thing about Ann Arbor is there is plenty of decent and dive places within walking distance of each other. Besides Ashley's, I can think of:  Arbor Brewing Co, Blue Tractor Brewery, Grizzley Peak, Jolly Pumpkin, Mash Bar, and The Heidelberg all being able to accommodation large groups and being a short walk. If you want to bar hop, A2 is a pretty great place to do it in.

And to all the Ohioans - don't worry, we don't stab people in Ann Arbor, even if you are from Ohio. What do you think this is - Toledo? Flint? Cleveland? Ypsilanti? Detroit? Pontiac? Let us drink together and commiserate on how much BOTH of our states are currently in the shiatter.

2013-03-27 10:12:52 PM

Osirus: megarian: Or even Michigan Brewing Company in Webberville.

.....

fark.

2013-03-27 10:24:20 PM

Methadone Girls: Hey!  I could totally drive there.

Shiat, I live 5 blocks away from Ashley's, might as well go to this one!

2013-03-27 10:31:44 PM

megarian: Osirus: megarian: Or even Michigan Brewing Company in Webberville.

.....

fark.

the downtown lansing location is still open, as they were independent of the brewery despite selling the same beers. They still brew their own.

2013-03-27 10:33:19 PM

2013-03-27 10:35:05 PM
So..... Lansing area farkers thinking of going to this: carpool?

2013-03-27 10:36:03 PM

msupf: megarian: Osirus: megarian: Or even Michigan Brewing Company in Webberville.

.....

fark.

Now I really want MBC beer. Right now. Damnit.

2013-03-27 10:39:02 PM

HMS_Blinkin: Methadone Girls: Hey!  I could totally drive there.

Shiat, I live 5 blocks away from Ashley's, might as well go to this one!

Shiat, I was thinking the same thing.

2013-03-27 10:42:19 PM

Charletron: Can someone explain to me why "Ann Arbor is a Whore" has caught on? I guess it takes an Ohio-grade intellect to consider that funny/clever.

It's not even Ohio-grade, It's Michigan State-grade.

I'm a transplant here and don't have an allegience to either school, but A2 is clearly a better place for a bar crawl than Detroit.

2013-03-27 10:46:01 PM

The Googles Do Nothing: School will be wrapping up by this point.  Will the students be in full party mode and packing Ashley's or will they be out of town to let The Townies enjoy our few months of peace?

http://ro.umich.edu/calendar/wn13.php  Looks like April 27th is during exams ... that could be rough.

2013-03-27 10:55:03 PM

Thirded.

You had me at Crunchy's.
*swoon*

2013-03-27 10:58:39 PM

Thirded.

You had me at Crunchy's.
*swoon*

As much as I like crunchy's on Mondays, or peanut barrel during the spring and summer, they aren't great options in case people want to move around.

We could go downtown and have a lot of option for wandering and drinking. Washington square area comes to mind, handful of bars right there within shouting distance of each other, as well as a range of food options.

2013-03-27 11:20:45 PM
Saturday
27 Apr
A2
Ashley's
7:30
Yeah, that works.

2013-03-28 01:48:21 AM
I'm in.

2013-03-28 02:07:29 AM

2013-03-28 02:08:13 AM

... than the last Ann Arbor one I went to in 2005, which was pretty lame.  I have no idea what's been going on since then.  I'm sure there's a lot more of us now, and we're probably mostly in better shape economically. :D

2013-03-28 03:00:30 AM

Thirded.

You had me at Crunchy's.
*swoon*

I may or may not have worked there. For years.

2013-03-28 03:01:23 AM

Thirded.

You had me at Crunchy's.
*swoon*

Your ideas. I like them.

2013-03-28 04:36:23 AM
*Ashley's* was the ultimate vote.

Dammit.

One of these days I'll break my Fark rule of only doing TF when I get sponsored for it.  Sheesh.

That said, better Ashley's than many other places.  Especially (god f--king Forbid) (shudder) *Novi*.

/I might be there, I might not
//I kind of enjoy the pseudo-enigma status I've ostensibly got going here

2013-03-28 06:01:34 AM

This one being on a Saturday, i wouldn't be surprised. I would have come to the last one myself if I didn't have to get up for work at 4 the next morning.

2013-03-28 07:44:03 AM

Osirus: megarian: Or even Michigan Brewing Company in Webberville.

They're open under the name Midtown Brewing Company now.

They feature Michigan brews, just not the old MBC stuff.

/Ann Arbor is a whore

2013-03-28 07:44:56 AM

megarian: Osirus: megarian: Or even Michigan Brewing Company in Webberville.

.....

fark.

See my comment, it's open under a new name.

2013-03-28 07:47:15 AM
Crap, regarding MBC I'm talking about the downtown Lansing location.

2013-03-28 08:02:36 AM
Count me down for a future Lansing party.

2013-03-28 08:51:17 AM
By the number of ignored folks showing up in other's comments in this thread, gonna sit this one out.  This would have been fun with the 2007 fark crowd :)  Have one for me.  Sorry to all of the folks that base their life decisions on sports scores, R1s kinda have other things going on.  Glad you guys are good at throwing a ball, though.  Ashley's should be a good location and it is easy enough to crawl to another bar if it gets crowded.  All out of towners, watch out for the aggressive pedestrians.  They do NOT wait for any man, woman, ambulance, or firetruck because their song may end before they finish crossing the intersection.
Cheers

2013-03-28 12:46:04 PM
I'd expect snow so dress warm!

2013-03-28 02:54:44 PM

Osirus: ekdikeo4: Hopefully more show up than the last Ann Arbor one.  I'll likely show up.  Must go add it to my Google Calendar.

I need to correct myself -again-, because the one I went to in Ann Arbor in 2005 wasn't -lame-, but the number of people who showed up was a bit .. disappointing, i thought.  I seem to remember the bar clearing out about 7 or 8pm.  I bet we're all better partiers than that now, though. :)

2013-03-28 04:42:53 PM

The Muthaship: steelydanfan: It's not the drive, idiot.

Maybe a party isn't the best idea for you anyway....

Don't talk down to me, idiot-whose-fark-#-is-way-the-hell-up-in-the-400K's

2013-03-28 04:55:50 PM

Lapusk: Steelydanfan: seriously? Ann arbor is not that far from lansing.  Closer to you than me, I think.

Well in any case, I'm spoiled from previous years of living in Chicago and being able to take, like, you know, public transportation to get to a fark Party (and then get shiat faced and take the public transportation home, except the one time when the public transportation took me to Oak Park instead and at like 7:30 AM on a Sunday morning I wake up and I realize I'm still 90 minutes on the train, -and- a five minute walk down the tunnel that connects the blue line to the red line downtown, from getting back to my apartment..............by that time it was light out..........oh, the pain, the shame)

/and that wasn't even quite as crazy as getting off the bus about eight blocks too soon coming back from Bucktown to the Red Line and strolling through the dead center of Cabrini Green on 4th of July Night

2013-03-28 05:15:33 PM
Ok.. I"m not sure why #farkers in 2007 are better than the ones right now.. Since I have been in Michigan since 1999, and a farker since 2000... I"m not sure I apply.   I must be rather lame . :(

I have not actually counted how many people are saying they are going to come.. but i think at least 20.

2013-03-28 08:47:35 PM

HelloNeuman: I'd expect snow so dress warm!

Well, it is before July...

2013-03-29 04:50:19 PM

Thirded.

You had me at Crunchy's.
*swoon*

Your ideas. I like them.

I'm thinking of starting a newsletter.

2013-04-02 08:20:55 PM

megarian: HelloNeuman: I'd expect snow so dress warm!

Well, it is before July...

I'm really from Kentucky.. and THAT is why I hate this state.

2013-04-04 10:05:34 AM

steelydanfan: The Muthaship: steelydanfan: It's not the drive, idiot.

Maybe a party isn't the best idea for you anyway....

Don't talk down to me, idiot-whose-fark-#-is-way-the-hell-up-in-the-400K's

Aww, now it's even sadder.....

2013-04-04 08:52:01 PM

The Muthaship: steelydanfan: The Muthaship: steelydanfan: It's not the drive, idiot.

Maybe a party isn't the best idea for you anyway....

Don't talk down to me, idiot-whose-fark-#-is-way-the-hell-up-in-the-400K's

Aww, now it's even sadder.....

Nobody asked you. Now piss off and go play with your Tickle-Me-Rosie O'Donnell doll collection.

2013-04-05 09:12:33 PM
Ok children.. don't make me seperate you!

2013-04-13 12:11:18 AM

msupf: megarian: msupf: sparty: megarian: 00batou: steelydanfan: Need to do a Lansing FARK partay one of these days.

Thirded.

You had me at Crunchy's.
*swoon*

Your ideas. I like them.

I'm thinking of starting a newsletter.

I'd be more than happy to freelance for it.  I'd like to write my first article on Hopcat opening a location in East Lansing this summer.  And sorry to be a killjoy, but Michigan Brewing Company went belly up last year.

2013-04-13 08:04:08 PM

Khryswhy: We could start at Arbor Brewing.  I know some of the people there.  I actually do a 'Brewery Tour' every year where we rent a tour bus and go to 4-6 breweries in one day.  A couple of years ago, our first stop was Arbor Brewing.
I'd be happy to talk to some people and see what they could do for us there.

Arbor Brewing has the shiattiest beer in Ann Arbor.

2013-04-13 08:08:25 PM

2013-04-13 08:11:10 PM

They have nice lunch deals if you can get away with having a beer over lunch.

2013-04-13 08:53:11 PM
Unless I end up stuck in Sunnyvale I should be there.

When I'm around town, I'm usually at the Heidelberg Poker Room in AA 3-4 times a week

2013-04-13 08:58:48 PM
*apparently* I have a work obligation I can't get out of.  So it goes.

EIP, though; I might be able to meet up with some folks for lunch if people are in Ann Arbor early.

2013-04-13 09:01:12 PM

ha-ha-guy: Did you guys actually reserve space?  Because the undergrads will control every seat in that place well before 7:30 on a Saturday.

I'd be happy to talk to some people and see what they could do for us there.

Arbor Brewing has the shiattiest beer in Ann Arbor.

First off: thanks folks who set this up.

Arbor Brewing is overrated, yet Corner has good stuff.  Same owner go figure.

Thirdly, yeah, it may be slightly packed.  Depends the time you start, though.  HOWEVER: isn't that finals week?  Might be a bit light on the students.  Not entirely sure but I know the interns we have coming in for the summer are first week of May.

2013-04-13 09:37:47 PM

ha-ha-guy: JohnTuttle: I've worked down the block from Ashley's for six years now, and I've never been able to get in to have a look. I'd be down with it.

They have nice lunch deals if you can get away with having a beer over lunch.

StreetlightInTheGhetto: *apparently* I have a work obligation I can't get out of.  So it goes.

On a Saturday, I have absolutely no problem starting early.  As the song goes, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

2013-04-13 09:44:42 PM

I just checked U of M's academic calendar.  It is in the middle of finals, but Apr. 27 and 28 are both study days (re:  no exams).  I'm guessing the undergrads are going to be hitting the bars extra hard the night of the 27th.

2013-04-13 09:45:55 PM
I . . . might come to this.

/Grad school in AA
//Exam on May 1st -- no big deal, right?

2013-04-13 10:22:57 PM

HelloNeuman: I'd expect snow so dress warm!

Seriously, I was in A2 on April 27 several years ago (edit: 2004) and it was snowing.  I only remember it because it was my birthday as well as free cone day at Ben & Jerry's.  Crazy college kids lined up around the block for free ice cream during a snowstorm.  Told ya we was hardcore!  Anyway, my better half BeadGrl and I will be there so everyone can buy me a drink!

2013-04-14 12:19:48 AM
Well, I was born in NW Ohio but now I'm in Indy. Sonofa....

2013-04-14 12:51:24 AM

As a U of M alum and the father of other U of M alums, that is a prime drinking day.  Students will go out for dinner to celebrate the end of the term and keep going until they puke or the bars close.  Many profs have their exams early, prior to the study days, these days since the profs want to end the semester ASAP as well.  So many students are pretty much done by the time the study days roll around.  In Ashley's case this means a 45 minute line by 8 pm normally, so at 7:30 I'd expect a group of two people to be looking at 25+ minutes in line.  You show up and ask for a table for 8+ and they laugh in your face.

Secondly ~7:30 is prime townie dinner time and Ashley's has decent food, so whatever space the undergrads don't occupy, the townies will occupy between 7 to 7:30 and then they'll remain there until ~9ish as they linger over drinks, dessert and/or coffee.  As they leave the second wave of students will wash in to claim the space.  If you want to drink, hit the bars much earlier on a Saturday.  I bet you could easily get space at Dominicks, especially second floor space, if you rolled in earlier.

If you want to go out, either do it when the students are gone or it on a Friday.  Students hit the bars hard on Thursday and Saturday nights, with Friday as the recovery day.  Well even Friday will be bad, but at least there is an off chance you can get space.

/plus Ashley's is a Michigan centric bar and even if they don't admit it, they're going to prioritize their student regulars in terms of getting them through the door and getting their money, unless someone involved in this knows people at Ashleys

2013-04-14 06:01:18 AM

ha-ha-guy: Polish Hussar: StreetlightInTheGhetto: Thirdly, yeah, it may be slightly packed. Depends the time you start, though. HOWEVER: isn't that finals week? Might be a bit light on the students. Not entirely sure but I know the interns we have coming in for the summer are first week of May.

I never had my finals on the typical "final days": (small major I guess) but that sounds about right.

As far as prioritizing students, eh, I do know someone who works at Ashley's (old roommate of close friend).  But as forementioned... can't make it so you folks can't capitalize on that, um, sorry.

Could always call ahead or just show early.  From previous experience they tend to favor older folks around happy hour, so if you get a table before 8 you're *probably* set.

/used to down a drink there before my peer reviewed 400 level evening poetry class at Angell
//definitely required to make it through that class
///it was mainly *other* people's peer reviews that were painful
////on the plus side, I avoided getting hit on by the happy hour older regulars since I had to ditch to get to class at 6, and the waitress corroborated my schedule any time someone was getting particularly pushy to deflect attention long enough for me to jump
//awesome waitresses/bartenders, gotta say

2013-04-14 06:47:32 PM
  I did send an email to reserve space, and I received one back asking how many.  I think I am going to tell them 20-25.  If you guys have a better idea, please let me know.

Also, I plan on arriving in Ann Arbor as soon as I can check into my hotel.  (Yes I live 40 min away.. but I will assume I will not be able to drive home).  It could be as early as 12 or 1.  IF people will need me, I will be available.

2013-04-17 05:48:55 PM
It is 50 bucks to reserve a room at Ashleys.   I did not do this, as I did not know for certain that anyone other than BP and I were showing up.  Also, 50 bucks.  I am a poor teacher.. :(

They said I could just come a lil' earlier and reserve and area for 20-25 people.

2013-04-20 01:21:45 AM

Sprachkundige: I . . . might come to this.

/Grad school in AA
//Exam on May 1st -- no big deal, right?

You got this shiat.

2013-04-20 09:04:28 PM

2013-04-20 10:06:46 PM

2013-04-20 10:15:37 PM

Do those of us without basements get a free pass?

2013-04-20 10:20:59 PM
I'm in.

2013-04-20 10:35:29 PM

/At least this one is less than one hours' drive from my house
//May I please get a job sometime soon?

2013-04-20 11:41:05 PM

Osirus: As for anyone getting a count, I will most certainly be in on this one. Ten years on this site and not one party made yet, but this one's right in my backyard and not going to miss another.

Way to make me feel guilty!

/looking like 50/50 chance I'll be there

2013-04-20 11:42:13 PM

The Ice Cream Man: I have just been informed that my God Daughter has her confirmation on the same day, at 5 p.m.  So, I may have to bookend the party; meaning that I may come around 1 pm, leave at 3 pm, then return about 9 pm.  Last two Fark parties that I attended brought snow, so here's to hoping for some better weather.

/At least this one is less than one hours' drive from my house
//May I please get a job sometime soon?

Way to live up to the ice in your name!

2013-04-20 11:46:08 PM

Do those of us without basements get a free pass?

No basement in Michigan?

... weird. I'm racking my brain and can't think of a non trailer dwelling I've ever seen without one. Even my apartment renter friends have basement areas for storage. Hmm.

2013-04-20 11:55:58 PM

Do those of us without basements get a free pass?

No basement in Michigan?

I live in one of the mass-built post-WW2 square homes that basically has just enough space to live in. No basement, but it does have a garage and is on a corner lot, so I guess I can't complain too much. My neighbor's house is an exact copy of mine, right down to the lack of a basement. Of course, someone could have just gotten cheap building our two homes.

2013-04-21 12:29:41 AM

Osirus: StreetlightInTheGhetto: Osirus: msupf: Doing a charity event earlier that day, but I will do my best to attend. If only to see how many of you really are misanthropic basement dwellers.

Do those of us without basements get a free pass?

No basement in Michigan?

I guess there's one less thing to flood then eh? Fair enough.

2013-04-21 02:34:35 AM
I think the 3 or 4 of us that actually show up are going to have a great time!

2013-04-21 02:09:41 PM

Do those of us without basements get a free pass?

No basement in Michigan?

How can you not have a basement in SE Michigan or Ohio?  Tornadoes aren't that uncommon.

/Village Green out at Geddes and Dixboro doesn't have basements if you want a local example
//but they have nice fireplaces
/I can't attend, have a hockey game

2013-04-22 08:01:36 PM
I am always a good time...

OH wait.. I always HAVE a good time.

2013-04-23 05:52:53 PM
I have just been informed, after planning on being there for the last month or so, that we will probably not be able to attend (unless we show up much later) because of a roller derby match in Novi at 5:30, followed by the afterparty for it.  Grrr.

2013-04-26 09:13:23 AM
So, tomorrow night!  What are the final details?

2013-04-26 10:16:48 AM

schatz: So, tomorrow night!  What are the final details?

Both BP and I will be in ann arbor around 1 or 2.. other than that.. meeting at ashley's at 730.

2013-04-26 07:04:10 PM
See ya there.

2013-04-26 07:26:07 PM
If you want to email or send message here.. some could meet up ealier.

2013-04-26 08:23:54 PM

2013-04-26 08:38:37 PM
Due to unexpected changes in circumstances, I will no longer be able to attend.

Fark.

Ten years and not one party yet -_-

2013-04-26 08:38:54 PM
I'll be there at 7:30. Going to spend the day learning all the criminal procedure, which I think will earn me a break. First exam isn't til next Wednesday.

2013-04-26 08:53:41 PM
www.charlock.org

2013-04-26 10:08:27 PM

Get me drunk enough and you'll get to find out. Speaking of which, people who are getting hotel rooms, where are you getting the best rate? I want to be prepared in case I need to get a room to sleep it off.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas for things to do before 7:30? Mr.Bob brought up going to Planet Rock (a climbing gym), but I haven't seen much else in this thread.

2013-04-26 11:59:45 PM

Do those of us without basements get a free pass?

No basement in Michigan?

Rare, but not unknown.  Some friends of mine had a smallish house in Madison Heights built on a slab.  Wasn't sure about the tornado angle.

2013-04-27 08:27:29 AM

BP keeps talking about grilling steaks at a park for lunch.. but really nothing else.. again.. I"m pretty open to anything.. I'm not famliar with the area.. so I have no idea what there is to do..

also.. the best i got is this one..  http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?reviewOrder=date_newest_firs t &hotelId=194427

BP.. radiofreewill and I are staying there.

2013-04-27 08:44:48 AM
Can someone update this page if you folks head out/if things are still going?  If I make it it won't be til late, and while it is Fark and I should probably assume you're gonna close the place down, it'd be nice to know the status before I head out.

If I miss ya'll, have fun though. Beautiful day for stumbling around in Michigan, eh?

Lapusk: . I'm not famliar with the area.. so I have no idea what there is to do..

Right now, Farmer's Market should be hopping.  If you can stand the lines try Zingermans, but if you're crashing here anyhow just try it tomorrow for lunch instead.  But there *are* people selling local grown and fresh fish and beef at the market (the Great Lakes whitefish people kick ass), so you theoretically could buy something to grill from there.

Argo Park is over the Broadway bridge from the market. They've got some grills/tables and a walking path down both sides of the river.  Don't know if the livery is open yet to check out canoes/kayaks.  It might be too early.  Pretty out there though.

2013-04-27 08:52:45 AM

Lapusk: also.. the best i got is this one.. http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?reviewOrder=date_newest_firs t &hotelId=194427

BP.. radiofreewill and I are staying there.

The hotel is by the Botanical Gardens... they're worth a walk around/in.  I was there last Saturday though and it was crazy busy.

EIP and I'll send you my cell if you need info.  I have stuff scheduled from noon until who knows, but I can give advice/directions via text.  I do like playing the tourist guide around Ann Arbor / Detroit, sucks that it'd have to be remotely but c'est la vie.

If anyone is interested in music after Ashley's, Matt Jones is playing at the Blind Pig tonight.  Doors not til 9:30, he probably won't be on til midnight.  Local musician, pretty decent, impossible name to search for so these videos don't really do him justice (especially when he's got a band behind him):

2013-04-27 09:10:49 AM
So pissed that I can't go.

SO pissed.

2013-04-27 10:13:20 AM
I will actually be in AA today but for a different function so won't be able to attend.

/sigh. always a next time to hope for

2013-04-27 10:14:51 AM

Do those of us without basements get a free pass?

No basement in Michigan?

I immediately think of Easy St. when I hear WW2 shoebox houses and of all the people that bought a house with a driveway and then continue to park in the street so everyone has to slalom.  That and useless roundabouts lol.  At least ya got those tiny one-pane windows to keep things larger than volleyballs out of the house lol.  Stay thirsty, my friend :)

2013-04-27 10:54:25 AM

Lapusk: Polish Hussar: JohnTuttle: Thanks for bumping this to the main for the reminder. Sadly, I'm getting over a cold, and am not sure how well I'll be feeling by tomorrow. I'll see what I can do, since I'm in the same boat as Osirus, and I wanna see if Polish Hussar has wings :)

BP.. radiofreewill and I are staying there.

Thanks.

For those of you who don't want to park on the street, I'd recommend the Liberty Square parking structure at 510 E. Washington.  It's close to Ashley's (Google says it's a 0.2 mile walk) and has a $3.00 flat rate.  I don't know how late Ann Arbor's meters go, so I can't tell you if that's a better deal than a metered spot.

See you guys there!

2013-04-27 11:14:19 AM

2013-04-27 11:20:25 AM

Sprachkundige: Question, since this will be my first one of these . . . how do I find y'all tonight?

Uhm.. look in the corner for all the dorks that look uncomfortable??

Seriously... uhm.. I'll tell the person seating who we are.. and expecting others.. we will have nametags on..
Mine will say Lapus (MeLissa)

2013-04-27 11:22:35 AM
You can also post here or use my email from the front of this lil' bloggy thing.. and I"ll check back and forth...

2013-04-27 11:29:38 AM
I also just uploaded a more recent pic of myself.. and i'm actually considering wearing the same shirt.

2013-04-27 11:30:28 AM

(And after five minutes of trying to find something more specific about Thayer, I came across Parkopedia - this is most impressive. Every parking structure and metered space in Ann Arbor, all pointy and clicky. Filing this one away for later use.)

Sadly, I won't be able to make it to the shindig tonight. I actually woke up feeling worse this morning than I did yesterday - day six of a head cold. (This getting old $#!+ is for the birds.) Hoping to see a post-party head count.

2013-04-27 01:21:52 PM
Well FARK me and call me rugby jock...

I apparently have a dinner to attend tonight for the charity I just ran a 5k for. So, it looks like I will be unable to attend.

And here I was looking forward to actually meeting people from the Internet, especially polish hussar and megarian.

Hopefully we can get a lansing area, or at least another lower michigan FARK party done this summer.

2013-04-27 01:28:45 PM

JohnTuttle: There's also the Thayer Street parking structure, which is just a bit closer. Parking fees should be about the same.

There is likely free parking directly to the north of 207 Fletcher Street (University Health Services), just google "Fletcher Parking Structure, Ann Arbor".  You have to walk about three blocks to get to Ashleys from there, mostly across campus.

One caveat is if there is any kind of event at any of the three University of Michigan theaters in the area, they'll charge you to park there, otherwise it is free.  However do keep in mind that even then the gates are up, some spots are still reserved.  They'll have signs on those spaces showing them as "Business Vehicle" or "Gold Permit", don't park in those.

/if Fletcher is charging, you can always use the Catherine Street Structure which is always free on weekends, it is about a 10 minute walk though

2013-04-27 01:38:13 PM
I really hope we can show up after the roller derby gig in Northville.  Not sure what time it might be though.

2013-04-27 02:12:23 PM

2013-04-27 02:34:28 PM

Pedal bikes can be parked for free at the Maynard Street Parking structure, just around the block, and there is a parking attendant in a booth right there to keep the homeless away.  Those of the motorized variety can be parked for free at any of the following:  http://pts.umich.edu/alternative_transportation/motorcycles.php

I personally suggest M63 on that list, it is on the south side of 300 North Ingalls, the old Saint Joe's hospital.  A bit of a walk, but there is an awing where the ambulances used to pull in that is now an area for parking motorcycles.  Campus cops sweep through there regularly and there are two security cameras that campus police monitor.

2013-04-27 03:23:30 PM

That's good.  Of course, the only reason I'm bringing the bike is for AWing!

2013-04-27 03:42:02 PM

The Ice Cream Man: ha-ha-guy: The Ice Cream Man: Will be there around 8 pm ish.  Hope I can park on the sidewalk.  Gotta go wash the bike now.

That's good.  Of course, the only reason I'm bringing the bike is for AWing!

AWing is the whole reason I'm going.

2013-04-27 04:02:24 PM
My plans for tonight ended up being canceled so I'm able to show up for the shenanigans tonight, if someone is willing to carpool from Ferndale (Oh the joys of not having a car (Stupid jerk who hit me and totaled my pretty car)).

2013-04-27 04:30:25 PM
I always hate being the first to these things.

2013-04-27 04:33:18 PM

msupf: Well FARK me and call me rugby jock...

Lansing would be pretty awesome.

Well, for me at least.

2013-04-27 04:38:02 PM

radiofreewill: I always hate being the first to these things.

I'll be there in about an hour.  If you get bored, I've found drinking heavily helps to alleviate that.

2013-04-27 04:53:25 PM
Lapusk lies we should all hate her. Like Obama and Hitler's love child.

2013-04-27 06:04:44 PM
I just sat down at the bar at Ashley's, anyone else here?

2013-04-27 06:17:06 PM

Polish Hussar: I just sat down at the bar at Ashley's, anyone else here?

Pulling into a parking garage now.

2013-04-27 06:23:55 PM

2013-04-27 06:32:30 PM

Polish Hussar: I'm at the end of the bar closest to the door. I'm wearing a light blue t-shirt & jeans

Turn to yor right. Four of us at a table.

2013-04-27 06:48:37 PM
I expect pictures, you rat bastids.

Good grief, this charity dinner thing is painfully boring.

2013-04-27 07:14:24 PM
This work nonsense is running far later than I hoped*.  Have fun, folks, not looking like I can make it.  Unless it somehow goes past midnight, cause I'd need to go home first and home is on the edge of town.  Then maybe.  I'll check in later.

* urge to kill rising etc.

2013-04-27 07:22:40 PM
Leaving my house now -- will be there in 10. I have bright pink sunglasses, so flag me down if you see me wandering around aimlessly.

2013-04-27 07:30:42 PM
We're here and dispered among the masses!

2013-04-27 07:42:34 PM
We need to move soon! The wait staff here are really terrible.

2013-04-27 07:43:20 PM
We're moving! We'll be at The Heidelberg (215 N. Main) by 8:15. If you're still en route, go ahead and make your way there.

2013-04-27 08:10:04 PM
On my way with 2 friends one is tall and bald

2013-04-27 08:39:50 PM
We're at The Heidelberg, in the basement

2013-04-27 08:54:46 PM

Polish Hussar: We're at The Heidelberg, in the basement

Oh, NOW you tell me!  See you in a few!!

/about to leave Ashleys

2013-04-27 09:11:25 PM

2013-04-27 09:36:54 PM

radiofreewill: Spending a few minutes outside for anyone who's not sure they've come to the right place.

Those few minutes have now concluded

2013-04-28 12:00:03 AM
That was fun! It was lovely to meet you all. Sorry I had to head out early, but let me know the next time you're in AA.

2013-04-28 12:57:33 AM
Not AA ( alcoholics go to meetings, drunks go to parties)
Try A2 or A squared.
Or just say something wildly offensive and disparaging about Columbus.  We'll know you mean A2 and not 12 steps.

2013-04-28 01:02:46 AM
Btw, yes, my gf is an ordained Dudist priest and does do weddings.

2013-04-28 01:15:47 AM
Phew!  Finally made it to the Heidelberg!  So, where is everybody?

Guys?  GUYS??

/bastiges, the lot of you!

2013-04-28 03:35:41 PM
Dammit! I missed it.  We went out with the Ann Arbor roller derby girls instead.  Sad to miss at the Heidelberg, that's my normal hangout in Ann Arbor (poker room on the top floor)