Host: Dijon Ketchup
Description: San Francisco FARKapalooza March 16 at Lefty O'Douls
Date/Time: March 16, 2013 - 07:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: San Francisco is getting visitors Deterministic (Switzerland!), Beatlefreak (MN) and Thalassatx (TX), so let's show them a great time!

The main event is Saturday night at Lefty O'Douls. However, we're planning a whole weekend of fun! Friday night: 5-7 Rosamunde Sausage Grill (2832 Mission St). 7-8 Mission Bar (2695 Mission St). 8-9 Doc's Clocks (2575 Mission St). Walk to Good Vibrations (603 Valencia St, 1 block off of Mission at 17th). After that we'll be somewhere around 16th/Valenica/Mission .. tons of bars around and if you're coming in then please post here or text someone who's there.

Saturday day we're meeting at the Union Square steps across from Macys, heading down Market to view the parade, and having lunch at Taylors in the Ferry building. Then getting to Pier 39 to tour the Pampanito and time permitting Fisherman's Wharf.

Sunday morning we'll get together for brunch (place still TBD).

And don't forget it's St. Patty's weekend, so wear green!

Location: Lefty O'Douls
333 Geary St
San Francisco, CA
(415) 982-8900
(view map)

3100 clicks; posted to Main » on 16 Mar 2013 at 7:59 AM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | » | Last | Show all

2013-02-11 02:48:18 PM

Clawhammer: Yay, a kidnapping of convenience, I just might need a ride.

That could be arranged, I'm trying to figure out if the SO is coming too. On a side note, MegaBus now runs from Sacramento to SF daily, and it's stupidly cheap.

2013-02-12 12:52:33 AM

Kevin72: GladGirl: Kevin72:
Ok, I'm a foodie and a history buff, and my alcohol of choice is wine. So I only see all the baseball history and truly decent food and hold the tourists as a badge of honor that I live in a place that's worth visiting. And with even the empty spot in the bar part of my brain I still am aware that Zeitgeist is closed. And didn't. The Tonga Room close like 7 years ago?

WTF? Zeitgeist is still open, and so is the Tonga Room... Tonga Room still has the half-decent appetizer buffet, as well, one of my favorite spots to take turistas! Lefty's isn't my favorite spot, but with the central location, and the space, it's hard to beat for a Fark get-together.
/likes Dear Mom on 16th and Harrison...

2013-02-16 08:17:01 PM
Lefty O'Douls  has an awesome toys for tots program, yeah it's a little late/early but I think they work on it year round.  Maybe you should be a toy.

/They also have a great piano bar
//Remember to put bread in the jar

2013-02-16 08:26:31 PM
I'm just trying to figure out if the lovers' spat on the prior page is real or just some Farkers busting chops.

2013-02-16 08:29:47 PM
Excellent. Chance to blow a little carbon out of the pipes.

2013-02-16 08:44:40 PM

You can turn in your San Francisco Card. Of course tourists go there, it's across the street from Onion Square. But with all that Giants memorabilia, and tasty reasonably priced food? Lefty's is #2 only to Tommy's Joynt for locals for meat and meet and beer.

Uh no. Leftys is horribly lame, with an annoying tourist-heavy crowd, bad food, and uninteresting drinks. Ive been to a fark party there, and there were several out of towners in the group, which pained me to see. In a city with such an incredible bar scene - everything from groundbreaking cocktail joints to epic beer hubs to fun and funky tiki bars - they gotta go with Leftys? Tonga Room, smugglers cove, zeitgeist, 21st amendment - hell, even a private room at bourbon and branch.

/contrarian rant. I just love this city's drinking scene so much that it pains me to see fark embracing the mediocre here.

I totally agree. Zeitgeist would be an excellent venue. I suppose Lefty's is his first choice only because there's not an Applebee's in the city. I've skipped the last two SF parties because I didn't feel like an evening out with Union Square crowds.
I have you favorited as "burner girl" and in a dusty shade of orange; probably from the recent BWB thread.

/lives in SOMA, 8th & Folsom
//I'll meet you at Zeitgeist

2013-02-16 08:47:27 PM

/Who am I kidding? You know I'm in.

2013-02-16 09:56:40 PM
Friday night there'll be dinner & karaoke (place TBD).

Farkers + Copious amounts of Booze + Karaoke?

I'm trying to get a mental picture here and I'm coming up blank.

What kind of songs do Farkers favor in a public setting and do they only do it ironically?

/Instead of ragging on Lefty's why not argue about potentially good Karaoke and Brunch places?
//Too far for me but I'm trying to enjoy this vicariously as best I can.

2013-02-16 10:19:27 PM

It's beer and food. Suck down a cold pint of 'known' beer and eat something not made from bottle-fed, organic, gluten-free chickens. Seriously, hipsters... get off your high horse and enjoy a beer and don't be so up your own ass about how cool you are.

Seriously, no one thinks you're cool or unique. We all think you're whiny, pretentious and lame. Too good to drink a beer with the common folk because you need to go somewhere that won't embarrass you in front of your judgmental, douchebag hipster friends because it's a 'known' place and not-at-all obscure.

And just for good measure, the next time you think growing a mustache like the Pringle's guy is cool, it's not. You're a douche and the rest of us make fun of you.

/proletariat rant over

2013-02-16 10:20:10 PM
I think I said 'sheik" when it I meant "chic"... whatever, you'll get over it.

2013-02-16 10:31:21 PM

Cubansaltyballs: Yay!! SF Hipsters complain because the place isn't sheik or obscure enough for their refined tastes and palette.

/proletariat rant over

I've been going to Lefty O'Douls  all my life, My parents, aunts & uncles have been going since it opened. Great food and beer & it's a bar/restaurant so under 21 Farks can come. I assuming you'll be in the back dining area where there's room.

2013-02-16 10:37:01 PM

borg: I've been going to Lefty O'Douls all my life, My parents, aunts & uncles have been going since it opened. Great food and beer & it's a bar/restaurant so under 21 Farks can come. I assuming you'll be in the back dining area where there's room.

I just want beer, and maybe some fried foods.

2013-02-16 10:52:02 PM
I just wanna hang out with Farkers.

Assuming I can make it, which is not looking great at the moment.

2013-02-16 10:59:38 PM
Woo! Never been to a Fark party. Totally doing this one.

2013-02-17 12:04:34 AM
In. Teriyaki said she'd buy me a drink.

2013-02-17 12:10:25 AM
I'll be there.

2013-02-17 12:55:44 AM

As far as Lefty's is concerned, I took into account public transportation, securing a great rate at a nearby hotel for the people staying over, and ability to handle 40-50 people without having to buy out the bar. I don't like that some people are unhappy with the choice, but as Mike said, it is about hanging out with Farkers.

nrdgrl: I *suppose* I could venture out of the Mission to hang in Union Square, but I'll be doing it ironically of course.
/Who am I kidding? You know I'm in.

I would shank you if you're not there!

quatchi: Friday night there'll be dinner & karaoke (place TBD).
Farkers + Copious amounts of Booze + Karaoke?
I'm trying to get a mental picture here and I'm coming up blank.
//Too far for me but I'm trying to enjoy this vicariously as best I can.

We had a blast at Vegas last year doing karaoke, and the song choices were all over the map.  A country song, BNL, Springsteen for a few of them.   We're still looking at places to do this ... debating between a private room or just joining the crowds at a bar.  Cost is a HUGE consideration.  As for brunch - must be close to the hotel, and be able to take reservations for 10-?? people at 9-10am.  Looking at Sears for American, Dim Sum has been suggested but the places I've looked at in Chinatown (that's a decent price) just have beer/wine.  And bloody marys might be needed after Sat night (hair of the dog and all).

It looks like Saturday day will be do it yourself.  We'll pick a place at the parade for people to congregate if they want, or head to the festival - some might do a city tour, or other specialized tours (submarine?).

There's still 4 weeks to finalize the details, but I'll keep you up to date on happenings. Looking forward to it!

2013-02-17 02:12:38 AM
Wish I could fly out there. I enjoyed the last SF event  Teriyaki hosted.

2013-02-17 03:09:18 AM

techbuzz: GladGirl: Kevin72: MegaUngawa: Maybe. Lefty's is a horrible tourist dive that I wouldn't be caught dead in otherwise.

/lives in SOMA, 8th & Folsom
//I'll meet you at Zeitgeist

Woo hoo! Zeitgeist breakaway party it is sometime. Been embarrassingly long since ive been there. I tend to lurk around cocktail joints like Churchill in Duboce Triangle these days.

And to all you Lefty goers, in all seriousness, enjoy yourselves. I may not agree with your choice, but I will defend with my life your right to exercise it. I don't anticipate my kidnapper allowing me out of the dungeon for the evening to join you, but crazier things have happened.

2013-02-17 03:40:12 AM

I'd bet a million dollars based on your Fark Handle that *you* sang the BNL.

/Well, if I *had* a million dollars.

Sounds like a hoot and a half.

2013-02-17 03:50:32 AM
The party starts at Lefty's. Which is a great place for it to start. it doesn't end there. You wont be forced to go to Lefty's the rest of your bargoing life. There could well be a post-party at Zeitgeist. For all the people whose bars are so cool that you would die of embarrassment if you were seen with a tourist at Lefty's consider if your bar could hold a party of 50-80 Farkers and Farkettes. And if there was easy access for out of towners and non-designated drivers to use public transport.

2013-02-17 04:05:25 AM

Dijon Ketchup: I'm so glad to see all the people that are coming!  There's a couple more people that are coming from out-of-state, and it's going to be a blast :)

quatchi: Friday night there'll be dinner & karaoke (place TBD).
Farkers + Copious amounts of Booze + Karaoke?
I'm trying to get a mental picture here and I'm coming up blank.
joy this vicariously as best I can...

Suggesting again Silver Cloud on Lombard near Webster for Karaoke. They also have good food at reasonable prices.

2013-02-17 01:59:14 PM
This is why we can't have nice things. Can't even decide on a civilized locale for drinks so the lowest common denominator is chosen because "non-tourist trap" == hipster. Really?

Screw you guys -- I'm going to Vegas.

/fap?

2013-02-18 12:53:22 PM
MIGHT make it.  Have a presentation to give that following week at SFSU... too bad it is not the weekend after, as that is the start of Spring Break!

2013-02-18 07:16:25 PM

2013-02-19 07:31:15 AM
the Mint is great for kareoke......
friendliest bar in SF.....

/I might leave the Mission and join this union square party......

2013-02-20 07:24:07 PM
encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com

You can play the "What's wrong with Marilyn's military ID card?"

2013-02-25 11:40:05 PM
See you farkers in SF!

2013-03-02 06:13:45 PM
TWO WEEKS!!!

\o/

/so excited

2013-03-02 08:10:58 PM

The Headless Horseman's Headless Horse: This is my birthday weekend. Could it possibly top last years Vegas/Zion combination?

*birthday fistbump*

Vegas was a blast, but we will try our best to make SF even better!

2013-03-02 08:11:22 PM
Wish I could make it. Have one* for me.

*or 20.

2013-03-02 08:13:18 PM

quatchi: Dijon Ketchup: the song choices were all over the map.  A country song, BNL, Springsteen for a few of them.

I'd bet a million dollars based on your Fark Handle that *you* sang the BNL.

/Well, if I *had* a million dollars.

Sounds like a hoot and a half.

I see what you did there.... And no it wasn't me (no one would want to hear me sing) "If I had a Million Dollars", but it was a farker who did.

2013-03-02 08:16:56 PM
Damnit, that's my birthday.

2013-03-02 08:28:18 PM
I need to update the party info, but Friday night has changed...

Thanks for all the karaoke suggestions above, and they all looked great, but it just never got any traction for some people that are going.  So we scrapped that, and Friday night we're doing a pub crawl in the Mission (like the '11 party).  Last time we started at The Sycamore and ended at ... oh heck I can't remember.  It was late!  Anyhow, once we nail down the schedule and bars I'll post it.

2013-03-02 08:47:16 PM
Either Karaoke or Bar Crawl works for me, so *Imokaywiththis.jpg*

Thanks,  Dijon Ketchup! :D

\o/

2013-03-02 09:05:52 PM

GWSuperfan: Either Karaoke or Bar Crawl works for me, so *Imokaywiththis.jpg*

Thanks,  Dijon Ketchup! :D

\o/

You're welcome!  I can't wait :)

2013-03-02 10:08:45 PM

Kevin72: GladGirl: Kevin72: MegaUngawa: Maybe. Lefty's is a horrible tourist dive that I wouldn't be caught dead in otherwise.

Tonga Room is still open. Have cover charge of around $7 on weekend nights.

2013-03-02 10:12:57 PM

2013-03-02 10:46:24 PM

2013-03-02 10:51:22 PM
of all the weekends to have a party, you *have* to pick the one weekend i can't go out in public.
dagnabit and tarnation!!!!!

(green hair and lots of green tattoos. also pagan. after the 10th person telling me i must really like st patrick, i start punching people)

sigh.....

2013-03-02 10:52:04 PM

Link
Now with the link to the 2011 event and Mr. Ultimate Survivor.

2013-03-02 11:02:28 PM

Kevin72: dericwater: Also, for the anniversary of the 1906 earthquake, the folks gather at Lotta's Fountain at 4:21AM for the ceremonial ringing of the fire engine bells. Then we all head on over to Lefty's for breakfast.

Link
Now with the link to the 2011 event and Mr. Ultimate Survivor.

I met Bill at the 2011 event. Probably could see me in the picture if it was clearer.

2013-03-03 02:36:46 AM

DO IT. SERIOUSLY.

You are very intense in your encouragement.  I'll look around, see if I can find a place to stay first.  But, yeah, if I can, it seems like a fun ride.

What kind of bicycle are you riding? How many days will it take you?

I was thinking about riding down. It's about four days for me on my loaded touring bike. Five or six if I take the lost coast route through the Sinkyone Wilderness.

2013-03-03 07:16:21 AM

DO IT. SERIOUSLY.

What kind of bicycle are you riding? How many days will it take you?

Motorcycle.  I have neither the energy nor the strength to bicycle from L.A. to San Francisco.  I'll just take my motorcycle, I'm waaaay to lazy to do it your way.

Do people actually tell you that you should drive more because you're not paying enough taxes?

2013-03-03 02:04:24 PM
I have to work at 7 sunday am, but I might make it out to this.

2013-03-03 04:20:33 PM
I could be in for this, but not if it's only the Fark fascists again.

2013-03-03 04:40:16 PM
Lefty's?
s2.postimage.org
?

2013-03-03 07:01:35 PM

DO IT. SERIOUSLY.

What kind of bicycle are you riding? How many days will it take you?

Maybe I didn't word that correctly.

People tell me bicycles don't belong on the road because cyclists don't pay fuel taxes, and until we do start paying taxes, stay the f**k off. What they don't understand is that I do pay taxes, and a disproportionate amount goes to automobile infrastructure instead of multimode infrastructure.

The gas tax motorists pay only subsidizes, and not pays for entirely, the interstate highway system. This system comprises less than two percent of the nation's roads.

2013-03-03 07:42:32 PM

TwowheelinTim: timujin: TwowheelinTim: timujin: kiwimoogle84: timujin: hmm... excuse to take the bike up the coast. Maybe...

DO IT. SERIOUSLY.

What kind of bicycle are you riding? How many days will it take you?

Maybe I didn't word that correctly.

Ah, I see, the argument is "roads are for cars because only people that drive cars pay for the roads"

Right...

2013-03-03 08:51:11 PM
Jesus, Lefty O'Doul's? Could have picked a better location. Yes, it's in close proximity to the Tenderloin hookers, but so is Harrigans, the Ha-Ra, the Hemlock and Edinburgh Castle.

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | » | Last | Show all