Host: Unfreakable
Description: World Fark Party III - New Orleans, Louisiana: April 5 - April 7
Date/Time: April 6, 2013 - 08:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: This is the third annual World Fark Party, to be held in New Orleans this year, because New Orleans.We're just going to invade Bourbon Street, including a Saturday night at a venue right on Bourbon Street where we'll have our own party including an open balcony. Here is the schedule:

Thursday (4/4): Frenchmen Street Pub Crawl, starts at 5PM at Galvez Restaurant, 914 N Peters St. Bring a spare liver if you have one, or a bathtub and ice if you plan to acquire one there.

Friday (4/5): 4PM - 7PM - Meetup at Checkpoint Charlie's (501 Esplanade Avenue) for a Fark event to be explained later. 8PM - midnight: Crawfish boil and drinks at The Bricks (735 St. Joseph Street), sponsored by the Huffington Post, including some free drinks from New Orleans Rum.

Saturday (4/6): WORLD FARK PARTY III, 8PM - midnight at the Voodoo Vibe on Bourbon Street. Entry will be $50, which is only to cover the venue (with the balcony) and the open bar. Yes, I said OPEN BAR. It will be limited to Farkers only.

Twitter hashtag: #farknola2013

And feel free to install the app for this party: http://my.yapp.us/FARK

Location: Voodoo Vibe
333 Bourbon Street
New Orleans, LA 70112

(view map)

6913 clicks; posted to Main » on 07 Apr 2013 at 11:00 AM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | » | Last | Show all

2013-01-30 03:10:57 PM

i agree cooter browns is a great place for some oysters.  however, luke's in the cbd has a happy hour from 3-6 everyday that means $0.50 oysters and half priced drinks.   they get some pretty great oysters and good cocktails.

2013-01-30 03:11:42 PM

rostit: if youre there its appeal enough.

Unfortunately I won't be there. I moved from New Orleans to Atlanta at the end of the year and school will keep me busy with finals prep around the time of the gathering.

2013-01-30 03:11:56 PM

Alpha Sierra Foxtrot: I love gay bars. They make me happy.

Do you guys have a flight yet? I'll find out when my friend is working, see if we can get cheap/free drinks off him. Awesome.

2013-01-30 03:13:14 PM

Nabb1: A lot of this depends on your transportation,

Yeah, do note that New Orleans IMHO is a terrible driving city.  Walking, cabs, and the streetcar are the way to go even if you do drive on down here.

Maybe its because in my older age now I hate driving in general.

2013-01-30 03:14:17 PM

downstairs: Not trying to be "that annoying local guy". For the Pub Crawl... just MHO here, I'd start on Bourbon for a short while, and at least take it down to Frenchmen via lower Decatur. You'll have a much better time.

This isn't so much as being an annoying local as much as it is being sensible that Bourbon isn't everyone's idea of a good time, especially people who have been there before. Frenchman is fantastic, I did Halloween on Frenchman the last few years and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

2013-01-30 03:27:47 PM

Luke is great.  And some of the oysters they get from the Pacific Northwest on occasion are really good, and a bit of a change of pace.  Though, I still think our Gulf oysters are the best.

2013-01-30 03:32:09 PM

downstairs: Nabb1: A lot of this depends on your transportation,

Maybe its because in my older age now I hate driving in general.

i feel the same way...  biking is actually my preferred method these days.  i just moved to the lgd, work in the cbd, and (I ran out of acronyms), but i can get anywhere faster by bike than someone with a car... and i'm a really shiatty bike rider.  thank god for all these bike lanes.

but, i am a new orleans rapid transit rider.  this city is actually not that hard to get around by bus and street car.  hopefully by then the smartphone real time tracking info will be working (it's still in beta -- i think the superbowl coming here is putting a lot of pressure on norta to straighten everything out... though, I can attest, it was not working today).  when it works, taking public transportation in this city is extremely pleasant.  otherwise, there can be some delays.

but, for a tourist's purposes, the street car can take you to a lot of places, and usually if there's a walk, like to the garden district, it's a beautiful walk, and you just might find a cemetery to check out (like lafayette cemetery).

2013-01-30 03:33:36 PM

drkdstryer: Alpha Sierra Foxtrot: I love gay bars. They make me happy.

Yes. Yes, we do. We arrive sometime on Thursday. Kyro knows all things flight-related.

2013-01-30 03:33:39 PM

Alpha Sierra Foxtrot: Neverhood9: While we do have gogo dancers...may not be the kind you're interested in ;)

The Bourbon Pub...aka the main gay club

I am a girl. I am very interested. I am totally okay with looking and not touching.

Tuesday night is dyke night, wife and used to go but we're all responsible now what with kids and work. Drag king show is a blast.

2013-01-30 03:34:13 PM
That's my birthday, I have no car, I have no disposable income at all, I'm dirt poor, I'm ratty-looking, disheveled, unwashed, hirsute, and I no longer drink alcohol. I don't think I'll make it.

/ But drink one for me

2013-01-30 03:37:12 PM

2013-01-30 03:40:19 PM

My wife is on call, which means she'll be at the hospital at all hours, which puts me at home with the kids on the nights of most of the bar stuff.  It sucks, but I understand why they had to go with that weekend.

2013-01-30 03:40:21 PM

downstairs: Neverhood9: While we do have gogo dancers...may not be the kind you're interested in ;)

The Bourbon Pub...aka the main gay club

I'm a to each his own person, so totally not knocking you.  Just be aware the Bourbon Pub is LOUD as hell.  I have two lesbian friends for whom that is their hangout, so I'm there often enough.  I personally hate loud bars with blaring music, but I suck it up because they're my friends.

Anyway... gay or straight (I'm straight)... it is always a wild time at the Bourbon Pub.  I recommend at least poking in (no pun intended, or maybe it is) for a few minutes.

Also, that Pub is in the sorta unofficial gay district of Bourbon, which is a lot more fun than the rest... as the over-served frat boys don't venture there as much.

New Olreans is also one of- if not the- gay friendliest cities in America.

Current resident of Nola and I was quite surprised how gay friendly this town is. I was also surprised at just how small this place is, biggest little town ever. My wife wouldn't date the local girls here because everyone knows everyone and dated at some point lol

2013-01-30 03:40:38 PM
Alright. We've made our reservations so we'll be there.

2013-01-30 03:43:08 PM

Nabb1: pute kisses like a man: Nabb1: Cooter Brown's.  For my money, they have some of the best raw oysters in the city when the oyster bar is running.

i thought the oysters they have on happy hour are gulf oysters...  i know they also offer foreign oysters.  i guess i haven't checked, last time i hit up the happy hour was last mardi gras.

of course, their website doesn't mention the happy hour deal, but on their menu, they offer gulf oysters.  they also offer some foreigners  but those are for 'market price' which inevitably means they won't show up on a happy hour price.  and someone somewhere on the internet says they're from p&j.

2013-01-30 03:44:57 PM

Nabb1: Unfreakable: Hey locals: what are the must-see/must-do things when we get there? What restaurants do you recommend? What places?

A lot of this depends on your transportation, but some must-see stuff on your visit should include some of each of the following:

For music, head uptown, by taxi or the St. Charles street car line and head to Oak street to go to the Maple Leaf.  If Rebirth Brass Band is playing, you MUST go.  That said, when I would go, they usually played Tuesday nights.  If nothing else, hang out at the Maple Leaf and tie one on while waiting for your table at Jaques-Imo's Cafe, one of the best restaurants in the city.  The hostesses will come get you, and you may end up getting blotto with Jacques himself.  Another New Orleans music institution is Tipitina's, uptown on Tchoupitoulas Street.

Food:  Cochon in the Warehouse District for some cajun food that is mind-blowing.  They also opened a sandwich shop out back called Butcher, and it is mind-blowing.  Every bit of meat they serve is cured on site.  Want a po'boy?  Make your way to Domelise's po'boy shop uptown on Annunciation Street.  Parkway Tavern reportedly has the best hot roast beef.  Kill a hangover with a big bowl of pho at Pho Tau Bay on the Westbank.  A couple of other uptown gems are the recently opened Restaurant Patois and Boucherie, which specializes in small plates.

The WWII Museum is a must for anyone interested in history.  Also, you can grab a bite to eat at John Besh's The American Sector.  The bar, as well as the Stagedoor Canteen, offer some awesome retro cocktails.  The Museum is parked in the warehouse district and there are lots of art galleries in that neighborhood, as well as a stellar Spanish seafood restaurant called Rio Mar, and an Argentinean-style steak house called La Boca.  You'll need reservations for the latter.

Basically, get out of the Quarter for a bit if you can.  The Quarter is fun, and there's nothing wrong with that, but get out and about uptown if you can ...

Rock n' Bowl would be a hoot. I've only been there once but it was crazy. Farkers could bowl, dance and get liquored up.

2013-01-30 03:46:04 PM

Nabb1: Go Fast Turn Left: Could we maybe do this one year on a weekend other than this particular weekend?

Yeah, I photography stuff to do Martinsville weekend, which is always the first weekend of April/last weekend of March, and always the same weekend of this thing.  Blah.

2013-01-30 03:47:26 PM
Terrific then! So who's bringing the Heineken?

2013-01-30 03:57:58 PM

MBooda: Terrific then! So who's bringing the Heineken?

What !!??

invadenola.com

THIS is what you drink when in the Big Easy.

2013-01-30 04:08:21 PM

Beerguy: MBooda: Terrific then! So who's bringing the Heineken?

What !!??

[invadenola.com image 543x509]

THIS is what you drink when in the Big Easy.

Well...that's what I drink when I'm on the northshore.

THIS is what I drink when in the Big Easy:
blog.nola.com

2013-01-30 04:09:15 PM

Beerguy: MBooda: Terrific then! So who's bringing the Heineken?

What !!??

[invadenola.com image 543x509]

THIS is what you drink when in the Big Easy.

actually, a lot of good beer is in new orleans right now:

www.inthenola.com

farm9.staticflickr.com
just to name a couple

2013-01-30 04:10:30 PM

MBooda: Beerguy: MBooda: Terrific then! So who's bringing the Heineken?

What !!??

[invadenola.com image 543x509]

THIS is what you drink when in the Big Easy.

Well...that's what I drink when I'm on the northshore.

THIS is what I drink when in the Big Easy:
[blog.nola.com image 240x277]

yeah, a few seconds too late.

this has been my mardi gras beer since they sell 'em in cans.

2013-01-30 04:23:30 PM
I will be there.

2013-01-30 04:24:30 PM

2013-01-30 04:32:41 PM
Wish we could make this one but it looks unlikely due to finances *sadface*. We had such a blast at the last two, and I reckon NOLA will be fun. Safe travels all.

2013-01-30 04:40:58 PM

On St. Charles, there's a place called The Blind Pelican that has .25 Oyster Happy Hour. I'll probably hit that on Thursday.

2013-01-30 04:42:55 PM
got airstream parking 7 miles away if anyone wants to boondock it.

2013-01-30 04:45:39 PM

Alpha Sierra Foxtrot: I'm eliciting help now to carry Kyro home because, quite frankly, I'm a weakling. EIP if you'd like to volunteer.

To sweeten the deal, I'll make sure you get his BIE after the party.

Can I draw dicks on his face?

2013-01-30 04:51:56 PM

2013-01-30 04:59:18 PM
a fark party would be the only reason to get a local to bourbon street.

2013-01-30 05:02:21 PM

Tin Roof in Red Stick. Not at all bad. Usually stock up on it before I have to visit my in-laws in Zachary. F-i-L is a preacher and doesn't permit any alcohol under his roof.

/even his immediate family can't stand him, but if you have enough of a buzz on he's a trip

2013-01-30 05:05:16 PM

X1's Here: Oh, and speaking of beer and The Blind Pelican...right down the street from the Pelican is a place called The Avenue Pub. One of the best beer selections in the City.

I love the Avenue! Mmm beer...

2013-01-30 05:06:36 PM

MBooda: X1's Here: Who makes the local beer with the Steen's Cane Syrup? Mylawd, that stuff is awesome.

That's the one. They have it at Avenue Pub, I know. I will be partaking when I'm there.

2013-01-30 05:10:19 PM

i think nola made one with steens, and parish brewing makes one (but they're not as local)

2013-01-30 05:12:03 PM

brap: Booked it, staying in the Marigny neighborhood.  Look forward to seeing you Chuckleheads.

2013-01-30 05:12:36 PM

Y'know...now that you say Parish...I think that's the one. I don't know. I just am hoping that they still have it at Avenue when I'm there.

2013-01-30 05:20:13 PM
downstairs: Awesome.  Where you get a room, may I ask?  You'll love staying in the marigny.  Close enough to the Quarter, but quieter.  And its a beautiful neighborhood to stroll around in during the day.

Royal Street Inn rooms are above the R-Bar, they give you a drink token when you check in!  I like it because it feels more like an apartment.  I've been to New Orleans many times and Marigny is my favorite neighborhood.

I really wanted to stay in the Marigny Guest House where they give you half a shotgun shack.

I am going to start dieting right now because I know I will gain at least five pounds.

2013-01-30 05:41:29 PM

We took Bourbon Street back the night the Saints won the NFC Championship game.  And again when they won the Super Bowl.  French Quarter Fest is not so bad, either.  Also, Galatiore's in on Bourbon and a totally legitimate reason to be on Bourbon Street.

2013-01-30 05:47:30 PM
RE: someone mentioned a food crawl

Also, although their site doesn't have a 2013 date yet, I've heard this awesome festival will be on the 6th:

link

Great way to sample a ton of New Orleans food in one place.

2013-01-30 05:52:26 PM

brap: I'm in.

Is this you?
dl.dropbox.com
I'll bring my camera.  (Clicky for pics from last year.)

2013-01-30 05:55:23 PM

Nabb1: try fect taa daa: a fark party would be the only reason to get a local to bourbon street.

not saying you're wrong in any way--it just takes alot to get me down there.  world fark party destination is quite an honor.  should just rent out that place in the marigny where folks go naked...the clubhouse?

2013-01-30 05:57:09 PM
Also if anyone wants to extend their stay until the 11th, this is one of the largest and best festivals in the city:

French Quarter Festival

2013-01-30 05:58:21 PM

try fect taa daa: not saying you're wrong in any way--it just takes alot to get me down there. world fark party destination is quite an honor. should just rent out that place in the marigny where folks go naked...the clubhouse?

The Country Club is what its called.  Its an awesome place.  And they do rent it out.  I know they have for certain festivals, at least.

2013-01-30 06:09:38 PM

i think it's parish canebrake.  that's what the avenue says in on their beer list.

/ this conversation made me want to go to the avenue pub.  got curious.

2013-01-30 06:16:19 PM

MerelyFoolish: 1. Sounds like fun. It's within driving distance, so i will attend.
2. How many people normally attend these things?
3. Is there a median age or concentration of ages? Don't want to be the only 40-something guy there.
4. I say we begin now to create a pool that would be a prize to whoever finds and brings Lootie to the party. I pledge $100. Maybe Heineken will sponsor.
5. If I bring my hot, much younger girlfriend who has a habit of drinking too much and wandering off with strangers, will you all promise to leave her alone?

Since no one else has answered yet, I'll take a crack at these:
1. Driving distance really depends on time and money. I'll be driving and I live at the other end of Texas.
2. About 100 last year. Feel free to go all super-spy photo analyst on my pics from last year which you can find a link to elsewhere in this thread.
3. No. As much as I could estimate, the age distribution seems to be flat from the age of majority to retirement.
4. Excellent idea. I'll pledge $5 for this right now. (Payable upon Lootie's and my arrival.)
5. We would never promise such a thing. Leaving a young, attractive, inebriated young lady all alone in a strange city to be preyed upon grifters, lechers, and otherwise trolls is something we would never do. I can assure you that if she should happen to drink too much and wander off (and do the sort of coquettish things that grown men who watch too much anime dream about about would never actually take advantage of), plenty of your fellow Farkers and Farkettes would be there to guide her back to the convention hotel.
/redhead?

2013-01-30 06:31:21 PM

/ this conversation made me want to go to the avenue pub.  got curious.

Yep..Canebrake. That's it, I'm sure of it.
Have you never been to Avenue Pub? Oh, you must go...especially if you like beer.

2013-01-30 06:58:23 PM

X1's Here: pute kisses like a man: X1's Here: pute kisses like a man: X1's Here: Who makes the local beer with the Steen's Cane Syrup? Mylawd, that stuff is awesome.

/ this conversation made me want to go to the avenue pub.  got curious.

Yep..Canebrake. That's it, I'm sure of it.

I've been several times, I actually live in the lgd so I can walk there. Lately I've been a liquor person over beer. But, mardi gras reminds me of the pleasure of beer.

2013-01-30 08:43:20 PM
It's the week after spring break, so I'll be missing it this year. It was fantastic, a lot of fun in the apocalypse year of 2012.

2013-01-30 09:25:14 PM
Cowboy Mouth playing in town that weekend? A big Reverend Fred service would be good for all involved.

2013-01-30 10:30:07 PM
oh fark me, I'm moving out of NOLA in a few weeks

I'm just gonna go slash my wrists now

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest