Host: Pickerel
Description: Subby is walking the Appalachian Trail this year. Let's have an Atlanta fark party the first weekend of March, before I begin walking
Date/Time: TBD
Party Info: Farker Pickerel is walking the Appalachian Trail this year, from Georgia to Maine. Let's get together in Atlanta before the walking begins.

1131 clicks; posted to Main » on 08 Jan 2013 at 6:15 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all

2013-01-08 03:12:02 PM

2013-01-08 03:14:44 PM
I've always wanted to do the Pacific Crest Trail. Never had enough time off from work. Totes jelly.

2013-01-08 03:16:11 PM
Totes jelly here too.  A through-hike of the AT is high up on my bucket list.

Have you picked your trail name?

2013-01-08 03:18:54 PM

Have you picked your trail name?

I go by Shepherd while on adventures. My trail journal with some preparations writing and a more thorough explanation of my plans is here. The gist of it is that I am leaving my current job, walking the Appalachian Trail, and attempting to break into photography / photojournalism by putting together a documentary of the trail and its 2013 walkers along the way.

2013-01-08 03:19:08 PM
if you stick with it, you'll be coming through my town in late summer. i'll buy you a beer.

2013-01-08 03:21:26 PM

Have you picked your trail name?

Mine's 'Gov. Sanford.'

2013-01-08 03:23:06 PM

Have you picked your trail name?

People have trail names?
How about "Stinky".

2013-01-08 03:23:35 PM

propasaurus: Mine's 'Gov. Sanford.'

Strangely, I first found out about that incident while I was doing a weekend hike up here on the New Jersey section of the AT.

2013-01-08 03:24:24 PM

/enjoy the trail
//my brother did it in 5.5 months back in the early 80s and a yout I work with did it in 5 last year

2013-01-08 03:25:14 PM
Sweet.

2013-01-08 03:26:16 PM

tuna fingers: People have trail names?

it's part of the whole through hiker culture.  every summer i meet people like moonbeam rainbow, river triceratops, alesmith brewmore etc etc.

2013-01-08 03:26:18 PM
Thru-hiking the AT is one of the many dreams I am realizing is most likely never going to happen, in this life anyway.

So cheers to you, Subbs. Hike a piece for me.

2013-01-08 03:27:00 PM

AlwaysRightBoy: Hey Pickerel, there's another guy who just posted a submission who's walking north.  Maybe you two should hook up together and have a party!!

Once wilderness madness kicks in he'll be talking to himself anyway.

Pickerel: My trail journal with some preparations writing and a more thorough explanation of my plans is here.

Ambitious!

2013-01-08 03:28:08 PM
Deja vu

2013-01-08 03:30:49 PM

2013-01-08 03:35:06 PM

AlwaysRightBoy: /enjoy the trail

What's a "yout"?

/oblig

2013-01-08 03:36:04 PM
I saw a good documentary about through-hikers a few years ago, called "Appalachian Impressions." If you haven't seen that, I'd recommend it. I think it was a 4-hour PBS thing.

2013-01-08 03:38:05 PM

My trail name is Goldilocks because I cant seem to keep bears away from me... and i hate the camp robbing farkers.

2013-01-08 03:53:50 PM

2013-01-08 03:58:19 PM

No one died of dysentary?

2013-01-08 04:00:14 PM

No one died of dysentary?

That was probably the other branch.

2013-01-08 04:02:31 PM

No one died of dysentary?

Not that I'm aware of...one guy got shot by a slave. He probably deserved it.

2013-01-08 04:05:25 PM

Pickerel: KingKauff: TheDumbBlonde: Fark that noise. One branch of my family did the whole trail thing in a wagon a couple hundred years ago. You have a blast though.

No one died of dysentary?

That was probably the other branch.

Only one branch were carpet baggers.

2013-01-08 04:07:13 PM

How many of the kinfolk got cannibalized?

2013-01-08 04:08:48 PM

How many of the kinfolk got cannibalized?

Sir! They were English!!

2013-01-08 04:26:04 PM

How many of the kinfolk got cannibalized?

Sir! They were English!!

Have you eaten English "food"? It would be a step up!

2013-01-08 04:33:30 PM

oldfarthenry: TheDumbBlonde: oldfarthenry: TheDumbBlonde: Fark that noise. One branch of my family did the whole trail thing in a wagon a couple hundred years ago. You have a blast though.

How many of the kinfolk got cannibalized?

Sir! They were English!!

Have you eaten English "food"? It would be a step up!

Point.

2013-01-08 04:41:38 PM

Shakespeare's Monkey: Let's make sure we get a good recent picture of you, before you leave. We'll need to give it to the search team.

www.nypost.com

2013-01-08 05:03:52 PM

Pickerel: Whoops. The site kicked back an error and told me the thread was not posted, and I guess it did get posted. Seeing to the other thread's deletion...

All taken care of. Hope you have an awesome Fark Party.

2013-01-08 05:29:47 PM

Pickerel: OneFretAway: Totes jelly here too.  A through-hike of the AT is high up on my bucket list.

Have you picked your trail name?

Awesome.  I've read a few published trail journals.  Always wondered why they weren't crammed with incredible photography.  Hope you'll post updates of your hike here.

Noticed the comment about someone else going north.  Are you going south?  For some reason I picture the southbound hikers as even weirder and tougher than the NB through hikers.

2013-01-08 05:31:34 PM

Have you picked your trail name?

My friend has done two of the triple crown. Plans the CDT this year and may do American discovery after.

2013-01-08 05:36:50 PM
If you are sincerely doing this I can put you in contact with a recent success. EIP

2013-01-08 06:08:34 PM
As long as it's not after you hike the Appalachian Trail because, I would imagine you will be quite ripe.

2013-01-08 06:17:20 PM
i2.listal.com

2013-01-08 06:19:45 PM
I'm down. Narrowly missed 3 Atlanta Fark parties so far.

2013-01-08 06:19:53 PM
"walking the Appalachian Trail" means cheating on your wife, right? Just makin sure I'm current on the lingo.

2013-01-08 06:22:16 PM
The whole thing? Wow. I knew a guy who took 6 months off of work to hike the trail some years back. 6 months of usually being alone really changed him. He came back... a little crazier for reals.

2013-01-08 06:22:31 PM
hmmz..lurking at a sorta local fark party. maybe we could find a place that I can throw peanut shells at folks?

/Have fun on the trail, sounds like a blast..

2013-01-08 06:25:37 PM
I've always wanted to go to Argentina........

I walked about 100 miles of the pacific crest trail in Washington back in the dark ages between my Jr. and Sr. year in highschool. it's so much easier to do when someone else pays for it, and I had 2.5 months off in the summer. also went white water cannoeing on the Clear Water. very exciting. and 50 miles on Dworshak resevior.

good times.

2013-01-08 06:26:51 PM

me texan: I did it a few years back.  Didnt make the whole trail, but enjoyed a month of hiking.  Lost some toenails though because of shoes that were too tight.  They arent kidding when they tell you to have an extra inch in the toebox.

And the three bears?

www.gaywelcome.com

/They'll steal more than your granola
//Enjoy your hike!

2013-01-08 06:28:30 PM
I did a southbound thru-hike in 2000. Pic, journals, packing list, etc are on our website. Holla if you have any questions, and have a damn blast! Source to Sea website - Appalachian Trail and Mississippi River Adventures

2013-01-08 06:28:34 PM
What's your trail name?
Party sounds good.
You want to be hydrated.

2013-01-08 06:33:22 PM
Isn't it hiking the AT?

/Has hiked portions.

2013-01-08 06:33:28 PM
Ever since I read A Walk in the Woods, hiking the AT has been on my bucket list. I sincerely doubt I'll ever actually do it, though. Best of luck to you!

2013-01-08 06:33:29 PM
I did it in 2010, April 2-Aug 31st. One of the best things I ever did. Get ready for something awesome. This is in the category of things you'll think fondly back on whenever you need a moment of happiness for the rest of your life..

2013-01-08 06:35:14 PM
Cool. I did the southern half of the CDT (continental divide trail) about ten years ago. took all summer.

2013-01-08 06:35:46 PM
I admire the dedication it takes to do that. I live near the trail in West Virginia. Let me know if you need an emergency delivery of supplies when you get up this way.

2013-01-08 06:37:10 PM

OneFretAway:

Part of it has to do with weight. When you're spending $30 on a titanium spoon and cutting the handle off your tooth brush to save a couple of ounces on your back, two pounds for a small dSLR and kit lens can feel like an anchor. Factor in the number of proprietary batteries you'd have to carry to keep the camera running in between resupplies and it's just not worth it. Most hikers will carry the smallest point and shoot they can find, and take snapshots along the way, and leave the big photo ops for day hikers or section hikers.

2013-01-08 06:37:40 PM
I live about a mile from the trail at a place hikers like to visit. Is a small place with a damn good homeplace to eat a post office and a couple small convienance stores. Those damn hikers take all the Sierra Nevada when they come through and I have to go to town and get it. Please dude if there is only one six pack left leave it for me. .....

2013-01-08 06:38:34 PM
My brother hiked the AT. He got mauled by a bear.

/ RIP