Host: The Ice Cream Man
Description: Reminder: Royal Oak Michigan Fark Party: Monday, August 13th, 2012. Come for the movie premiere, stay for the Dream Cruise
Date/Time: August 13, 2012 - 09:00 PM (local time)
Party Info: Hey, y'all:

I finally finished a movie, titled: "Confessions of an Ice Cream Man" which will premiere at the Main Art Theatre in Royal Oak, Michigan. The showtime will be at 7 p.m. the day of the party. Tickets will be $10 per person for the show. The Fark Party/movie after party will be at 9 p.m. We are planning to charge $20 per person for the afterparty, which will have a free buffet line and drink tickets. Drinks will be pay as you go, since this is a Monday night event and many people indicated they won't be staying much longer than an hour.

The bar is called Mr. B's. It is a local chain,and it has excellent food, service, and prices. It is also a place where the pretentious hipster and boorish slob can coexist in peace and harmony. In other words, perfect for Farkers.

Sorry,as much as I would like to, I really can't offer any free passes, due to out of pocket costs, the theater rental, and promotion . Marketing is gonna kill me. Yes, we are going the Kickstarter route; I will provide a link to that when it is ready to fly.

This will be a "Camera Friendly" motion picture networking event symbolizing the Great Spirit of Detroit! So c'mon down, bring your camera's, dress for photo ops, and show some of that famous Detroiter support.

Just so you know, I DID run this by Drew, via e-mail. Drew referred me to Big Tony, his enforcer sales v.p., so all is kosher.

Questions? E-mail to doubleoddbob[nospam-﹫-backwards]l­ia­mg*c­om. Please be patient, as I must work off of borrowed computers. No internet at home, sorry!

2652 clicks; posted to Main » on 13 Aug 2012 at 9:59 AM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all

2012-06-24 08:03:56 PM
And then I had to join Total Fark so I could look at my own party thread.

Just so you know, August 13th is a MONDAY. We could not get a rental on the weekend. Likewise, even though this is Dream Cruise week (can't say Woodward Dream Cruise, since that is copyrighted), the bar said having a party on Monday wouldn't be a problem. Parking may be an issue, since the meters are checked until 11 pm, and they are a 3 hour limit. So, you can park for free at the theater, then drive 2 whole blocks to the metered lot behind Mr. B's, then feed the meter. Or take the bus, I don't care. The late meter time makes Detroit parking look simple by comparison.

Now, for the live links:

Mr. B's, Royal Oak

Main Art Theater, Royal Oak

The Dream Cruise

Movie trailer

You may notice that the Dream Cruise date is August 18th. It is the "official" day of the cruise. The partying starts on the Monday prior, with the crowds getting bigger leading up to the big day. Then everyone heads home, and there is nobody around on the Sunday after, except for the cleanup crews.

2012-06-24 08:25:29 PM
If it were a week and a half later, I'd be up there for work and could attend.

Still, have a wonderful time all.

2012-06-24 09:21:29 PM
Will the bathrooms be open to the public?

2012-06-24 09:22:27 PM
Oblig: Pure Michigan: Royal Oak

Ah I miss the D

2012-06-24 09:27:31 PM
Holy crap, an official Fark party in my part of the country??

I just might have to peek in.

2012-06-24 09:30:08 PM
I might actually be able to make this one.

2012-06-24 09:30:12 PM
Just curious. How many Farkers are up there.

2012-06-24 09:33:54 PM
Nice, not to far from my house

2012-06-24 09:35:56 PM
Ok, so the subby, me, SZ ...

2012-06-24 09:36:57 PM
Hey! Finally a party my way!!

My tits and I shall attend!!

/pure Michigan

2012-06-24 09:40:04 PM
About an hour from me. Hmm....

2012-06-24 09:40:52 PM
Who dropped the ball and didn't coordinate this with Jobbie Nooner?

2012-06-24 09:48:52 PM
You planned this... for a Monday... a year almost to the date I moved away from 14 and Woodward?

/grumble grumble
//got enough of the dream cruise as a kid (my dad was smart, we biked in 'bout 8 miles... would take just as long to find parking i wager) but have fun ya'll

2012-06-24 09:51:52 PM

ChrisDe: Who dropped the ball and didn't coordinate this with Jobbie Nooner?

Uh, I did!

Jobbie Nooner is kinda boat dependent, so that would eliminate a lot of people. It is also a skip work party, which eliminates a lot more people who might have job insecurity issues. Hey, I had to coordinate with something, so why not the Dream Cruise? I lovingly mock it in the movie, all the while selling ice cream to the attendees.

2012-06-24 09:51:54 PM

AverageAmericanGuy: Just curious. How many Farkers are up there.

In my experience there are actually quite a few in the Detroit/Windsor area, if this manages to grab the attention of them you could have a pretty good showing.

2012-06-24 09:54:48 PM
Sweet. I live on Troy St off Main.

I'm in on this.

2012-06-24 10:03:05 PM
Been there, done that; its a great time.

2012-06-24 10:03:37 PM

Ann Arbor has a lot of Farkers, so we might get some migration, if they can get past any freeway construction.

For what it's worth, someone held a Detroit Fark party at Goodnight Gracies (also in Royal Oak) in February some years ago. The party sponsor bailed when only 3 people showed up, but come on!! He only stayed a couple hours!!! No one shows up at a party right when it starts! I got all bundled up, rode my motorcycle over there, and saw....nobody. The next day, the guy comments that he only had a couple attendees from Traverse City. I showed up at 7 p.m., the party was over at 5. I assure you, I will be there, barring death or disabliityl

Would be great if we could get some car enthusiasts, like Donnerpfeiffen, to come by.

2012-06-24 10:14:56 PM

2012-06-24 10:20:05 PM

syrynxx: Ice Cream Man was at one of the Chicago Fark parties I attended, and is a great guy. Sadly I'll be a thousand miles away from Michigan that week of August.

Thanx for the shoutout!! I was also trying to attend the last Chicago party, but the tires on my bike were getting worn. I just blew the rear tire last Wednesday, making a sudden stop when someone cut me off. Will try to make the next Chicago party, if I don't get killed. (Yes, I still wear my helmet, even when going only 5 mph.)

2012-06-24 10:22:22 PM

AverageAmericanGuy: Just curious. How many Farkers are up there.

Lots of us are from there, but a large percentage moved away for work years ago.

2012-06-24 10:24:02 PM
Hour plus south. Hit the cruise last year. So so many awesome cars. Something for everyone. And the beer flows like wine. May have to attend my first fark party!

2012-06-24 10:30:01 PM

The Ice Cream Man: You_EEEeeediot: AverageAmericanGuy: Just curious. How many Farkers are up there.

... a MONDAY though!

If I can bail on work..well...any AA folks planning to drive in let me know. EIP.

I missed the GG one for some good reason which now escapes me. I suppose since I'm almost reaching my ten year anniversary on this login I should meet some of you fine folks in person.

/Especially whoever promised me free drinks if I showed up to the last one.
//Then again maybe not.

2012-06-24 10:31:35 PM
Throw in a closing run to the Gusoline, and I'm there. Though if you need the bathroom, you're probably better off running up 3rd to Tom's Oyster Bar.

/Nah, I'll be there anyways.

2012-06-24 10:40:50 PM
Holy crap, a Fark party I can go to!

AverageAmericanGuy: Just curious. How many Farkers are up there.

You'd be surprised. There's a decent number of us hanging around.

2012-06-24 10:41:21 PM
I might actually be available for that.

/Probably not though

2012-06-24 10:44:36 PM

The Ice Cream Man: (Yes, I still wear my helmet, even when going only 5 mph.)

Wear a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head, the ads say. I have a bike again now, but not with a cool ice cream sidecar. Good luck on the cruise!

2012-06-24 10:45:27 PM

StreetlightInTheGhetto:

... a MONDAY though!

/Especially whoever promised me free drinks if I showed up to the last one.
//Then again maybe not.

Sorta had to do Monday. Was considering the Old Redford theater in Detroit, but they wanted too much money, AND they wanted me to provide 1 million liability insurance. For a non profit, they wanted to take me to the cleaners.

The other nights of the week were available at the Main Art theater, but then the bars start filling up with bikers, dream cruisers, etc. That "Pure Michigan - Royal Oak" video is shockingly accurate. Hey, it's summertime, take a day off!

Gotta go for now, my borrowed computer time is up. I'll check in again Monday.

2012-06-24 10:57:02 PM
/I kyddd
//Wants more MI Fark parties
///Are there any Up North folks interested?

2012-06-25 12:00:42 AM
Dammit I'm on vacation that week, otherwise the Mrs. and I could have made it.

2012-06-25 12:02:45 AM
If I don't have to work too much the next day, I'll be there.

//Livonia

2012-06-25 12:21:29 AM

The Ice Cream Man: StreetlightInTheGhetto:

... a MONDAY though!

/Especially whoever promised me free drinks if I showed up to the last one.
//Then again maybe not.

Gotta go for now, my borrowed computer time is up. I'll check in again Monday.

Still thanks for your effort. For that alone I'll give it my best shot.

/... ride and work depending
//the SO and I share a car and 'need for work' is an automatic trump card

2012-06-25 12:24:59 AM

AverageAmericanGuy: Just curious. How many Farkers are up there.

Greater Detroit Area at least a dozen off the top of my head and I suck at remembering details like that after a Detroit / MI thread so probably more... but like everyone I went to college with I know plenty have left in the past 5 years.

2012-06-25 12:33:29 AM
See you there.
Also I will buy a Streetlight a beer as thanks for all the great Detroit photos and info over the years.

2012-06-25 12:35:45 AM

creativebrulee: Monday in Detroit is a pain, but will see if the hubby is interested. My goal this year was/is to be more social... Fark counts, right?
/I kyddd
//Wants more MI Fark parties
///Are there any Up North folks interested?

EIP... I get to go up north for work for a week or two in July / Aug(Petoskey / Charlevoix / Traverse). I love it but from experience one night away from close quarter coworkers would be a good thing.

2012-06-25 12:38:24 AM

DogBlack: See you there.

Aww shucks.

/would throw down more pics but on the phone
//too nice to go inside
///yay freaking heat break

2012-06-25 12:44:06 AM
AverageAmericanGuy I can see how places like Seattle, San Francisco/Bay Area, NYC, and Chicago might have quite a few Farkers. But for all the hate piled onto Detroit, I wonder how many people are actually from there.

Enough to make a difference. I think everybody from DetroitYes keep the same screennames

/went to school in Royal Oak w/the Main Theatre manager
//nope, I can't make it

2012-06-25 12:48:18 AM

I don't really know anyone, even though I've been here for .. uh.. almost a decade now o.O but I would like to meet some peeps :)

2012-06-25 12:57:36 AM

Internet high five to that.

/then internet melancholy realizing how long a decade is

2012-06-25 01:14:02 AM

2012-06-25 01:40:19 AM

StreetlightInTheGhetto: ekdikeo4: Canton here. Last Fark party I was at was Ann Arbor, many years ago . . . Will definitely note this one on the calendar, although I can't guarantee that we can make it .

Internet high five to that.

/then internet melancholy realizing how long a decade is

I think I have a few locals on my favorites list, but they probably wouldn't even remember my name unless I pissed them off in a D thread or something :D

IExpectAKill: I'm in Kalamazoo. I guess I could finally make it to a Fark Party but I'm always worried you a-holes are going to ask if I have any green-lit submissions and if I saw what whomever said in that one thread five years ago that is now an internet standard.

Either show up for this one, or get one organized for the West Side! :P

2012-06-25 01:51:22 AM

If anyone asked me either of those - sincerely - my answer would either be 'are you f--king kidding me' or dumbfounded silence followed by a biatch slap.

Probably the former but if I'm drinking the odds go even.

By the way I second ending things at Gusoline. Mr B is fine for socializing but not as much to end things on a bang not a whimper. And Gusoline is as close to a straight up Detroit or Hamtramck bar as you can get in RO these days.

/I'd say Berkeley Front cause I probably still get free drinks there and the regulars' humor would fit in with Farkers, plus, beer... but it might be a touch too far away
//eh though what 4, 5 miles? SE Mich folks should be able to manage that

2012-06-25 05:28:15 AM
Ah, Royal Oak, where kids go to feel cool when their parents won't let them take the car to Detroit.

Anyway, I might just cross the line to come to this.

img819.imageshack.us

img13.imageshack.us

2012-06-25 05:45:17 AM
HOLY CRAP MY FIRST FARK PARTY, I'M SO EXCITED !

/been lurkin' for a long time
//Grand Rapids
/hott

2012-06-25 07:44:43 AM
I'm down... I haven't been able to make any of the others.

2012-06-25 08:43:08 AM
Boston-Edison is holding a neighborhood wide sale on the 11th and 12th.
Not exactly related....but.
Also, why not schedule this for Friday the 10th?

2012-06-25 08:52:25 AM
I saw the one in Ann Arbor, but was too lame to go. Think I might have to make this one.

/Only if we go to Gusoline after!

2012-06-25 08:52:28 AM
Sounds fun. I havent been to RO in years, except for work-related stuff. It will be nice to get out and be social.

/Taylortuckian, moving to Westland this week

2012-06-25 09:09:13 AM
A Monday? Ouch. Guess I'm calling in on Tuesday.

2012-06-25 09:11:08 AM
A2 here. Gonna have to give it a pass, but everyone else have fun. Not many people like me so it will probably be better that way.

/Arduino workshop that night for some youngsters.

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all