Do you have adblock enabled?

So I'm running for Governor of Kentucky in 2015 DIT - Drew
Posted by Drew at 2015-01-26 10:30:25 AM (575 comments) | Permalink

4780 clicks; posted to Main » on 26 Jan 2015 at 10:31 AM (2 years ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Hey everyone.  I'm running for Governor of Kentucky in 2015.

Here's the tl;dr version:

I am not a politician

I'm going to win by not playing the game

Why I'm doing this

A friend of mine inspired me to take the shot.  After having deeply negative interactions with a local elected official, and finding out she wasn't alone in that experience, she decided that the only solution was to run for office. She had no political aspirations, no prior experience, and no idea how to even pull it off.  But someone had to step up and do something about it, and she did.  And this past November, she won the election.

It was incredibly inspiring.  Rather than just accept that ineffective government is a way of life, she actually did something about it.

I never wanted to run for office.  Like most of us I have a pretty strong dislike for the political process. Just getting elected is an insanely complicated and difficult.  Why would anyone want to put themselves through that?

I don't remember who it was or when it happened, but about a year ago I was complaining about the lack of good candidates one night when a friend challenged me.  People who are capable of running for office and winning have no right to complain about the system when they have the ability to change it.  If I sit back and do nothing, I'm at least partially complicit.

Like many of us I'm deeply disturbed by what's happening in politics today.  Thanks to the Citizens United Supreme Court decision, the amount of influence money in politics has increased exponentially.  It's a windfall for the two political parties, but the effect on government has been catastrophic.  Politicians won't make any decisions based in research and logic.  If elected officials make decisions that go against their campaign donors they risk being blacklisted by their own party - and their entire political future.

Take the issue of Right to Work.  A democrat could never pass it, and a republican could never veto it. Neither would ever look into the data to try to figure out if this law was even a good idea.  Worse, neither would ever look into the unintended consequences of their actions.

Money is the only criteria for legislation these days.   In the last Federal Spending Bill, not only did someone insert a regulation-defeating amendment written by Citibank, but they also increased the amount of money one individual can donate to a political party in a given year to $324,000 - a 10x increase.

The only way to fix this is from within.  So I'm taking my shot.  I'm running for Governor because if I get elected, the vicious cycle of influence money in politics grinds to a halt.  Corporations are remarkably predictable - they won't spend money on politics unless it has a chance of creating a beneficial return. Why would any corporation spend money on legislation in a state where they can't buy the Governor? The game would be completely disrupted.

So that's what this is about - trying something new.  And proving that normal people can run for elected office and win.  If one million people can call the FCC and back Net Neutrality, surely I have a chance. The best part is, win or lose, I'm going to help produce the blueprint to allow other people to run for office and win without party support.

I'm not starting a movement, I'm catching a wave.  In 2014 a number of people in a number of states tried something similar.  There weren't many successes, but there were a lot of close races - enough to make me think this is part of a greater pattern.  Good people who have never contemplated politics are jumping into races.  And I'm hoping we'll see a lot more people take an Independent shot in 2016.

The Kentucky Governor election is this year, 2015.  It gives me a full year to try out all new strategies.

Here's the first new strategy: I'm going to win by not playing their game.

I am not a politician.

One thing that people have been asking is where I stand on "the issues".  I'm still working up a response to that, mainly because I think it's the wrong question.  Political parties use "the issues" as weapons of mass distraction.  If any of the really difficult political questions were solvable we'd have done it already.  Besides, I'll be an unaligned Governor with no ability to submit legislation.  And Kentucky's Legislature is currently split, which I think is a great thing.

I really want people to think in terms of solutions.  For example, someone asked me where I stood on the issue of equal pay for women.  Who would be against that?  However the problem there is what's the mechanism?  What law could we pass that would solve that problem?  I would much rather people provide me with solutions - preferably ones that have worked in other states.

I don't have "beliefs" on issues of economics.  I'm more or less agnostic on social issues.  And I'm far more excited about retooling the executive branch to better interface with customers than anything else. The boring stuff is the most important stuff.  It doesn't grab headlines but it's the part of being Governor I really want to sink my teeth into.

The only fringe idea I have is that Government could work better.

So what does this mean for Fark?

Hopefully nothing.  I've actually had a similar distraction before - over 19 months across much of 2011 and 2012 I got an MBA from Columbia and Haas/Berkeley.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that Fark thrived - because my attention  was down 50%, - but it managed fine, and this campaign is half the duration of the MBA.

Fark has a lot of moving parts and as CEO of this small company I play a lot of roles.  I'm confident I can keep doing what I need to do to keep these parts moving.  The most important thing is Fark's quality, so if you're worried that that could suffer, don't.  I'll continue to curate the content, because staying informed on current events is who I am  - and an asset I will use during this political run.

Basically, my interaction with Fark will continue to be what it always has been.

In closing, I've received a lot of support from a lot of you already and I really appreciate that.  Thank you for everything.

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Oldest | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | » | Newest | Show all

2015-01-26 10:31:53 AM
Best of luck to you, Drew.

/seriously

2015-01-26 10:32:45 AM
Will there be free beer involved in the voting process?

2015-01-26 10:33:26 AM
Good morning everyone, my name is Andrew and I am Drew's campaign manager. I just wanted to give you the campaign information that Drew was unable to give.

If you would like to visit the campaign's website, it is at www.drewcurtis.com. Our issues page will be up soon and the website is growing with information and features every day.

If you believe in what Drew is doing and want to see more Independent candidates in your state, please consider making a donation at www.drewcurtis.com/donate. We have an uphill financial battle going up against so many political parties, special interest groups, and well-funded politicians and we need all the help we can get. Even if you aren't in Kentucky, our success will allow us to provide a blueprint to Citizen Candidates in all 50 states.

We also strongly encourage you to like us on Facebook at  https://www.facebook.com/drewcurtisforgovernor and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/curtisforgov (@curtisforgov). Also make sure to share our pages and posts. It is important we get the word out as far and as often as possible.

Thank you so much!

2015-01-26 10:34:17 AM
You said "I'm not a politician" twice. You must like not being a politician.

Anyway, best of luck to you! I'd be more supportive if I lived  in Kentucky.

2015-01-26 10:34:40 AM
makeameme.org

2015-01-26 10:35:29 AM
REPEAT

2015-01-26 10:35:33 AM
You would have my vote if I lived there!

/and thank heavens I don't because .... well, you know

2015-01-26 10:35:33 AM
Hell, why not?

If Jesse Ventura can win in Minnesota, you sure as hell have a chance to win.

If anything, the lulz coming out of both the Democratic and Republican candidates can fill a week's worth of submits. XD

2015-01-26 10:35:39 AM
Good on ya mate.  Not a Kentuckian but hope to see you win.

2015-01-26 10:35:57 AM
Can you donate using PayPal?

2015-01-26 10:36:00 AM

Lord_Baull: Will there be free beer involved in the voting process?

I looked into it - sadly not legal

2015-01-26 10:36:11 AM
Go Drew, Go!!!

Good luck!

2015-01-26 10:36:30 AM
dammit, you've got my vote.

2015-01-26 10:36:43 AM
Drew Curtis for KY and KY for Drew Curtis

2015-01-26 10:36:58 AM
What's the policy, vis a vis preemptive retroactive pardons?

2015-01-26 10:36:59 AM
I might just move to Kentucky and vote for you.

2015-01-26 10:37:03 AM

Anyway, best of luck to you! I'd be more supportive if I lived  in Kentucky.

Trying really hard to drive that one home.  Lots of people I talk to are like "oh hey now we are playing the politics" and want to go into debate mode.  Like it's chess or something.  That's not what this is about

2015-01-26 10:37:27 AM
I'm thinking the muckrakers are going to have an issue with Foobies.com.

2015-01-26 10:37:33 AM
Hell if the Terminator can be governor why not Drew?

2015-01-26 10:37:42 AM

2015-01-26 10:38:05 AM
Don't forget the little people. You know, the morons.

/I don't know who our king is, but I don't think he's doing a good job

2015-01-26 10:38:07 AM
pol·i·ti·cian
ˌpäləˈtiSHən/
noun
a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of or a candidate for an elected office.

2015-01-26 10:38:12 AM
Good luck.

Is there some sort of place where I can write to the campaign with questions?

2015-01-26 10:38:22 AM
Oh and CONGRATS on the MBA! That's fantastic.

2015-01-26 10:38:23 AM
Remember all us little people when you win, and land us all some high paying phoney-baloney jobs!!

2015-01-26 10:38:24 AM
Go Drew!

2015-01-26 10:38:46 AM
Public healthcare and free beer for everyone!

2015-01-26 10:38:52 AM
Your blog sucks.

/obligatory
//good luck

2015-01-26 10:39:03 AM
I'd vote for him if I lived in Kentucky. Luckily, I have family in the Salyersville area that I can talk to about Drew.

2015-01-26 10:40:05 AM
So, this  isn't a Brewster's Millions "None of the Above" campaign? Huh.

2015-01-26 10:40:13 AM
So we'll have a major office candidate who is clearly linked to a Fark account?  Have fun, media!

2015-01-26 10:40:31 AM
If you're going to run, why choose such a crap state?

I can think of at least a dozen states that are WAY better than Kentucky.

\Good luck!

2015-01-26 10:40:33 AM
I plan on voting for Drew six times myself, and I don't even live in Kentucky!

2015-01-26 10:40:41 AM

Drew: AeAe: You said "I'm not a politician" twice. You must like not being a politician.

Anyway, best of luck to you! I'd be more supportive if I lived  in Kentucky.

It's more like D&D, and you are attacking a gazebo.

But in fairness, that gazebo is kind of asking for it. I never liked it anyway.

2015-01-26 10:41:04 AM
Good luck Drew!

I just hope they don't use WTFark against you

2015-01-26 10:41:10 AM
Well, I'm not voting for you.

Mostly because I live in Arizona.

2015-01-26 10:41:22 AM
The Texas Delegation is behind you!

2015-01-26 10:41:31 AM
I have a friend who just recently moved to Kentucky and who is very involved politically.

I'm guessing he'll be very happy to support you, as I am (from a distance, unfortunately).

Drew for Governor 2015

2015-01-26 10:41:49 AM
Get out there and Make your Mark!

i291.photobucket.com

Good luck!

2015-01-26 10:41:52 AM
By the way, we are getting a lot of questions about who can donate. ANYONE in the United States can donate. Any US Citizen or legal resident can donate. And we hope you do.

2015-01-26 10:42:03 AM
Drew, please consider running as a GOP candidate. Apparently, the GOP awards Purple Hearts to all its members. And you don't have to see combat or even join the military!

2015-01-26 10:42:16 AM
You've got my vote because I'm not impressed by any of the other candidates.

2015-01-26 10:42:28 AM

amindtat: I'm thinking the muckrakers are going to have an issue with Foobies.com.

speaking as part of the problem, I'd say the politics tab is much more an embarrassment to his campaign.

2015-01-26 10:42:42 AM

iheartscotch: What's the policy, vis a vis preemptive retroactive pardons?

Free Henry Earl!

2015-01-26 10:42:44 AM

Headso: By saying you believe "that Government could work better" you have alienated half the voters.

can't get everyone ;)

2015-01-26 10:43:06 AM

Anyway, best of luck to you! I'd be more supportive if I lived  in Kentucky.

Just remember that Sarah Palin won the Governorship of Alaska by hijacking debates with her ramblings on abortion.  Somehow I suspect that'll be one of the ways they try to trip you up.

2015-01-26 10:43:42 AM
Unfortunately, you are going to quickly conclude that such an office cannot be obtained without significant funding of your own, or that of allies. If it's your own, more power to you, but that is a hell of a gamble. If you obtain allies, they will expect things in return. There is no third way.

2015-01-26 10:44:01 AM
I do wonder if in many ways this website is a conflict of interest, or at least a means of campaigning beyond the normal limitations. You may want to contact a lawyer who has some experience with political campaigns and fine out how to separate your interest.

2015-01-26 10:44:15 AM
I'm sure the oppo research won't use the drunken deletion of the politics tab against you, and you probably haven't said anything on here you'd regret, right?

2015-01-26 10:44:35 AM

Shryke: There is no third way.

Yet.

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Top Commented
Javascript is required to view headlines in widget.