Fark Cruise? How about we just go on JoCo Cruise Crazy - 2014 Feb 22-Mar 1
Posted by Drew at 2013-04-30 3:13:48 PM, edited 2013-05-05 5:28:46 PM (70 comments) | Permalink

1391 clicks; posted to Main » on 30 Apr 2013 at 3:14 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

This past February I went on Jonathan Coulton's annual JoCo Cruise Crazy organized by fellow Farkers Paul and Storm (both of whom performed at the first two Las Vegas World Fark cons).  I'm not a big fan of cruises in general, however turns out when 800 like-minded people attend it gets a hell of a lot more fun real quick.  I had an absolute blast - I'm pretty much going to this event every year as long as they'll still have me.

Paul and Storm suggested to me that perhaps we should do an annual Fark cruise.  That sounds great, except I watched them running Coulton's cruise and it looks like a ton of work.  I'm not a huge fan of work, I'm a huge fan of lazy drinking.  However, I suggested that maybe instead of running our own Fark cruise maybe we could just crash Coulton's thing instead.

Coulton thought it was a great idea.

Paul and Storm, having both performed at Fark events and JoCo Cruise Crazy, extended the invitation to Farkers despite normally displaying really good judgment about these kinds of things. It's possible they were drunk when the offer was made, but like all drunken offers, the only way for people to learn their lesson is to witness the results of those situations (trust me - voice of experience here).

The details:

The event will be a six-night Royal Caribbean cruise to Georgetown, Grand Cayman; Falmouth, Jamaica, and RCI's private resort at Labadee, Haiti.

Daily entertainment will be had as well.  Entertainers are still being sorted, but in addition to Jonathan Coulton and Paul and Storm, past performers have included Wil Wheaton, John Hodgman, Zoe Keating, Paul F. Tompkins, David Rees, John Roderick of The Long Winters, Vi Hart, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy of Rifftrax, John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, Chris Collingwood of Fountains of Wayne, Peter Sagal, Mike Phirman, MC Frontalot, The Doubleclicks, Randall Munroe, Marian Call, Molly Lewis, John Scalzi and Joseph Scrimshaw.  Incidentally, nearly all of these folks are regular Fark readers.

Besides the performers, there will be a 4,000 square foot, 24/7 game room, two open bar happy hours and other exclusive activities. They're also planning on adding a few Fark-specific activities, including some Fark shipboard meetups throughout the week and a Caribbean pub crawl during at least one of the stops (and can probably accommodate more ideas from us as we go).

If this sounds interesting, well sign on up!  I'll be there for sure - plus if you can find me I'll personally buy you a beer.  To book the event, you'll need to do it through http://jococruisecrazy.com where you can learn all the various other details.  IMPORTANT: be sure to enter "FARKATSEA" where it asks if you have any booking codes to enter.  That'll ensure that we know how many of us reprobates are coming, so that they can set aside the appropriate amount of space for us, secure enough extra booze, warn the casino staff, etc.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all

2013-04-30 03:18:25 PM
Damn, I have a 15 night cruise planned for December 2013, I won't have any vacation time for this one. In general, a cruise seems like the perfect Fark experience (minus internet access).

Celebrity, RCL, and Carnival all now offer unlimited drink packages (for some obscene $50 a day, but hey it's vacation). Just planting the seed for you.

2013-04-30 03:19:08 PM
I was on the last one and am already booked for this one.  It was a good time.

2013-04-30 03:19:25 PM
By the way, LOVE the word 'reprobate'.

2013-04-30 03:20:32 PM
It was the best vacation I've had in years - and I needed it

2013-04-30 03:21:43 PM
This isn't going to be one of those poop cruises I keep hearing about, is it?

/don't want to have to smell poo gas

2013-04-30 03:22:17 PM

Dog Welder: This isn't going to be one of those poop cruises I keep hearing about, is it?

I sure hope not - but imagine the story you'll have to tell

2013-04-30 03:22:28 PM
I never plan that far in advance

2013-04-30 03:23:57 PM
I've been on the last three, I'll be on this one too!  See all you Farkers there!

2013-04-30 03:24:47 PM
I think this is a truly brilliant idea. Farkers/farkettes really do enjoy getting together for conviviality, intellectual discourse and general silliness and so many could use a refreshing fun- and sun-filled vacation.

Seriously GREAT idea, Drew; I can see this being memorable and successful.

2013-04-30 03:25:57 PM
Sounds like fun.  I can picture a bunch of drunk people in Hawaiian shirts stumbling around mumbling FARK memes and that's not a bad thing.

2013-04-30 03:27:12 PM

Gig103: for some obscene $50 a day

If they're pouring top shelf, that's a steal.

2013-04-30 03:27:49 PM
Top-tier balcony is only $1534 per person vs. $1217 for Level 2 Interior. The extra $317.00 is well worth the price.  Balconies are really good to have on a long cruise for when you want to just hang and enjoy. Of course, the rich folk'll get the suites; even better, I'm sure, though I've never sprung for a suite on all the cruises that I've gone on. I hope that it works out for FARK folk.  Cruises are great!

2013-04-30 03:28:38 PM
i.telegraph.co.uk
Just remember to stock the beer on BOTH sides of the ship this time!!

2013-04-30 03:29:22 PM
Trapped on a boat full of drunks for 6 days?  Tempting.....

2013-04-30 03:30:41 PM

Drew: I sure hope not - but imagine the story you'll have to tell

It would rank right up there with Eruotard bartenders.

2013-04-30 03:30:51 PM
Will it have a 4000 square foot, 24/7 replica of your mom's basement?

2013-04-30 03:31:29 PM
Mrs. Nuisance and I were on JCC3, and have already signed up for JCC4!

It's almost paid for!  :-)

2013-04-30 03:33:29 PM
I've considered this one or the Max Fun Cruise in the past, and I'm seriously considering JCCC4 now. Would someone bring a Lootie cardboard cutout for poolside memery?

2013-04-30 03:34:02 PM
REALLY REALLY WANT.

Now I just need to whip up the discipline to save the money for it. ;)

2013-04-30 03:35:50 PM
Oowee... Ooowee, baby...

2013-04-30 03:37:34 PM

2013-04-30 03:39:34 PM
I love Jon Coulton, but the idea of being trapped in a hotel for a week even when the hotel might break down and leave poop covered walls just scares the hell out of me.

2013-04-30 03:41:09 PM

Gig103: $50 a day

Might be a deal... if I want to be plastered 24/7...

/ohhhh what do you do with a drunken sailor...

2013-04-30 03:42:05 PM
I know this ship Independence of the Seas and it is awesome

2013-04-30 03:46:07 PM
Woah, hold on now, Jonathan Coulton hosts a yearly cruise? Why am I only just now learning this?  That combined with a Fark get-together sounds like an amazing thing, and I've never experienced a Fark get-together.  I'd better book fast.

2013-04-30 03:47:00 PM

2013-04-30 03:52:28 PM

wxboy: No good can possibly come of putting hundreds of Farkers on a boat in international waters...

As long as everyone continues to abide by Wheaton's Law, it will be fine.

2013-04-30 03:53:02 PM

2013-04-30 04:01:00 PM
Sounds like a giant, floating, Sausagefest.

2013-04-30 04:01:21 PM
Ahh, so is this why the 2014 Fark party isn't happening till the end of the year?  Either way, this sounds pretty awesome.

2013-04-30 04:02:33 PM

Lucky LaRue: I've never been on a cruise, and I'm probably going to regret it when the ship goes adrift, but this looks awesome.  I just booked.

I fail at reading, and did not put "FARKATSEA" in the booking code.  I guess I'm gonna die?

2013-04-30 04:10:54 PM
This sounds like a splendid thing to do if only I had the money. Thanks for the motivation, Drew

2013-04-30 04:11:25 PM
JCCC3 was awesome and I'm already signed up for 4.  Adding a Fark component is equal parts awesome and terrifying.

2013-04-30 04:12:34 PM
The only thing that could be better would be to have booked this on the new Titanic.  There's not much that would get me on a cruise boat...but this is mighty tempting lol.

2013-04-30 04:17:46 PM

xanadian: Gig103: $50 a day

Might be a deal... if I want to be plastered 24/7...

/ohhhh what do you do with a drunken sailor...

you said rape twice.

2013-04-30 04:18:05 PM
The t-shirt I was given was most unimpressive. Restoration to the victims my ass

2013-04-30 04:20:18 PM
Insert cheezy voice: "There is always a morning after...."

2013-04-30 04:33:11 PM
If I didn't have kids, I would have been on at least one of these already.  Have fun, Farkers!

2013-04-30 04:35:29 PM
I went on the second and third ones, and they were glorious.  But the ports of call for the next one are farking terrible.  Freeport (yawn), Jamaica (shiathole) and Haiti (are you f'in kidding me?!).  I am also concerned the cruise is getting too big.  About 550 on JCCC2 was a nice sweet spot, but with over 700 on the last one, it's essentially becoming a floating 'con at sea, with very limited interaction with the celebs.

Just my $.02.  If it sounds like fun to you and you can afford it, don't miss out and end up regretting it.

2013-04-30 04:45:13 PM

There are great coral swim-throughs off Georgetown for the divers.  And that's the last place that I saw a green flash.

2013-04-30 05:08:59 PM

xanadian: Might be a deal... if I want to be plastered 24/7...

/ohhhh what do you do with a drunken sailor...

Hire him at Exxon?

2013-04-30 05:26:15 PM

BarleyGnome: Sounds like a giant, floating, Sausagefest.

Only if the toilets break down.

2013-04-30 05:29:42 PM

Yes yes yes yes YES.

2013-04-30 05:33:11 PM

Optimal_Illusion: BarleyGnome: Sounds like a giant, floating, Sausagefest.

Only if the toilets break down.

This

megarian: Yes!

Yes yes yes yes YES.

And this

Equals potato

2013-04-30 05:35:15 PM
What's the percentage overlap between attendees of this cruise and a typical Mensa event? Looks pretty similar to me.

2013-04-30 05:47:00 PM
All this talk of Jonathan Coulton and no one cared to mention that outdoor farking starts tomorrow?

2013-04-30 06:18:36 PM

jack21221: My girlfriend wants to go on a cruise, and I want to hang out with Jonathan Coulton fans. So this would be perfect. I've raised the possibility by sending her a link to this blog post, so if you're reading this, HI HONEY.

She's not going to say no.

Because of the implication.

2013-04-30 06:42:48 PM

Skywolf the Scribbler: Optimal_Illusion: BarleyGnome: Sounds like a giant, floating, Sausagefest.

Only if the toilets break down.

This

megarian: Yes!

Yes yes yes yes YES.

And this

Equals potato

EABOD.

I've never been on a cruise and I'm excited about any reason to do so. I work A LOT and moved recently, so I don't socialize too often. I was addressing the headline which said "Fark cruise?" and my response was a pretty excited "yes". And that apparently makes me retarded.

2013-04-30 06:43:48 PM

bikerific: I love pretty much all the component parts of this, but it seems like on a boat for a week it would all be just a bit too much.

Oh, it's just great!  I'll be spending 5 days on a ship in the Pacific week after next and I'm so excited!!!

/will be trapped in a computer room
//I'll probably get a top rack again.

2013-04-30 06:46:09 PM

megarian: EABOD

o_0

Well, someone takes contextual comedy seriously. I was commenting on the rather humorous comment placement, as well as your mother.

//Have fun on the cruise, try not to burn the boat down!

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all