Do you have adblock enabled?
Fark's new iPhone/iPad app
Posted by Unfreakable at 2012-06-11 3:36:13 PM (259 comments) | Permalink

15527 clicks; posted to Main » on 11 Jun 2012 at 3:40 PM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Hey everybody, over the weekend it just got approved so this is our official announcement that we just released our first ever mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. The new "Hey! on Fark.com" app will send notifications to your device based on triggers that you set up. By default, you receive notifications on every Newsflash story, but you can set up triggers for different pages (Main, Geek), topics (Florida, Spiffy), or sources (CNN, ESPN, Discover). Best of all, though, is that you can set up custom triggers for specific keywords or phrases, like your favorite team's name, or the last name of a player you follow. You can get every headline that includes NASA or mugshot roundup or Doctor Who.

For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you. We'll be working on an Android version soon. We figured that it would be easier to make one app and work out the bugs rather than trying to do both apps for different platforms simultaneously. We had more experience with Apple and their process, so that was our starting point.

Many of you already use our mobile website http://m.fark.com. We're very proud of our mobile website, and we'll continue making improvements to it. It's incorporated into the app so that you don't have to leave the app to browse mobile Fark. This just gives you a way to make it a lot more customizable.

A lot of other questions are answered in the Hey App FArQ, but if you have other questions, or suggestions that you want to send directly to us, you can use the Farkback topic for Feedback on Hey! on Fark.com Mobile App. For bug/error reports, please use the Report a bug or error message topic.

It's free to download, check it out here: Hey! on Fark.com app
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | » | Last | Show all

2012-06-12 06:29:59 AM
I'm not really an iPad user, I just have a work iPad. My main phone and tablet are both android.

I'll check back when you've implemented some more features. The mobile site works for me for now.

2012-06-12 07:30:21 AM

What about just using the farking web browser?

Jeebus Christ this "gota have a dedicated app!" developer make-work circle jerk needs to stop.

2012-06-12 07:33:13 AM

What about just using the farking web browser?

I did in fact say that in my very next post

2012-06-12 08:08:21 AM

What about just using the farking web browser?

I did in fact say that in my very next post

The fact you said "I hope you'll make a HD version" doesn't bode well for understanding the issue. There doesn't need to be ANY dedicated app: standard, HD, or otherwise.

2012-06-12 09:23:58 AM
I've had it beta. Believe me, you can't wait to puzzle your co workers with Drew's voice saying "YO" from somewhere in the room when a good story lands on Fark. Good times.....

2012-06-12 09:36:58 AM

rickythepenguin: Boatmech: I was here during that and am familiar with the details.

Boatmech: Account created: 2011-11-08 06:33:31

aww......someone evidently got banned under one login, had to come back as someone else....do you need a hug?

/or, "you'll get over it"

Oh, snap!

2012-06-12 10:02:52 AM

lohphat: smadge1: lohphat: smadge1: As an iPad user, I hope you'll make a HD version. The zoomed iphone app feels so wrong.

What about just using the farking web browser?

I did in fact say that in my very next post

Yeah whatever, you don't want an app, I understand that. If they're gonna make an ipad app, they should at least make a HD iPad compatible one. jeepers.

2012-06-12 11:28:49 AM

xynix: What about my blackberry? Can't leave blackberry.. it clicks .. clicky click. Touchscreens suck.

That, and a lot of berry's also have touchscreens now, and have better internal messaging / constant communications systems, so are actually DESIGNED for apps that do similar things to this one.

(that said, with BB 10 later this year, we'll just port the android once its available for droid. )

2012-06-12 02:11:09 PM

meg: scruffynerfherder: Keeps crashing on my iPad

Meh. I just gave drew two bucks.

I'm afraid you just gave $2 to the wrong folks. Our app is linked from the headline and above, and it's free. It's the "Hey! on Fark.com" app.

Damn! Thanks!