Do you have adblock enabled?
Fark's new iPhone/iPad app
Posted by Unfreakable at 2012-06-11 3:36:13 PM (259 comments) | Permalink

15387 clicks; posted to Main » on 11 Jun 2012 at 3:40 PM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Hey everybody, over the weekend it just got approved so this is our official announcement that we just released our first ever mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. The new "Hey! on Fark.com" app will send notifications to your device based on triggers that you set up. By default, you receive notifications on every Newsflash story, but you can set up triggers for different pages (Main, Geek), topics (Florida, Spiffy), or sources (CNN, ESPN, Discover). Best of all, though, is that you can set up custom triggers for specific keywords or phrases, like your favorite team's name, or the last name of a player you follow. You can get every headline that includes NASA or mugshot roundup or Doctor Who.

For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you. We'll be working on an Android version soon. We figured that it would be easier to make one app and work out the bugs rather than trying to do both apps for different platforms simultaneously. We had more experience with Apple and their process, so that was our starting point.

Many of you already use our mobile website http://m.fark.com. We're very proud of our mobile website, and we'll continue making improvements to it. It's incorporated into the app so that you don't have to leave the app to browse mobile Fark. This just gives you a way to make it a lot more customizable.

A lot of other questions are answered in the Hey App FArQ, but if you have other questions, or suggestions that you want to send directly to us, you can use the Farkback topic for Feedback on Hey! on Fark.com Mobile App. For bug/error reports, please use the Report a bug or error message topic.

It's free to download, check it out here: Hey! on Fark.com app
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | » | Last | Show all

2012-06-11 07:10:57 PM
Great app! Nice work on destroying everyone's productivity even more!

2012-06-11 07:17:31 PM
Assuming F.App is just too risque, would UFIApp be an acceptable substitute?

2012-06-11 07:20:57 PM
Okay, installed.

*sigh* Really? I appreciate the desire to get something official out there, but this is needlessly clunky and loaded with features nobody asked for while ignoring the features we've been asking for for years. Viewing the regular browser site on iPad is far preferable, and my settings show up there.

Okay, uninstalled. Hey! I got over it!

2012-06-11 07:26:41 PM
Drew: For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you.

Yeah. Sure.

/unsubscribe

2012-06-11 07:30:22 PM
For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you.
1.bp.blogspot.com

2012-06-11 07:38:10 PM
I would have gone with Universal Fark Information Access app.

2012-06-11 07:39:27 PM

9beers: Why the focus on the iPAd app first? I would think that Fark has more Android users based on the hatred for everything Apple. Do the numbers show that not to be the case? Are Farkers a bunch of closeted Apple fan boys?

i.imgur.com

Derp, I need the Fark App on my Samsung Ogre!

2012-06-11 07:42:19 PM
Can't wait for the Android version. I have a T-Mobile G2 and an HP Touchpad, both hacked to run ICS, and I can't wait for them to get Farked.

2012-06-11 07:43:15 PM

urban.derelict: For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you.
[1.bp.blogspot.com image 264x263]

i don't get it.....are android phones lame?

2012-06-11 07:48:52 PM

Boatmech: I was here during that and am familiar with the details.

Boatmech: Account created: 2011-11-08 06:33:31

aww......someone evidently got banned under one login, had to come back as someone else....do you need a hug?

/or, "you'll get over it"

2012-06-11 07:49:31 PM
Sweet! I just downloaded the app!

Now I just need an iPhone.

2012-06-11 07:51:50 PM

Hopefully after 3 years they realize iPad is being used a lot too

2012-06-11 07:54:35 PM
Needs moar Windows Phone and Android.

2012-06-11 07:55:40 PM

KellyX: The Stealth Hippopotamus: I guess Fark finally decided that this whole IPhone thing is going to hang around for a while

Hopefully after 3 years they realize iPad is being used a lot too

The what?!? Now you're just making things up.

2012-06-11 08:02:17 PM

rickythepenguin: Boatmech: Account created: 2011-11-08 06:33:31

Here's the sure sign that somebody is losing an argument.

2012-06-11 08:08:26 PM

9beers: Here's the sure sign that somebody is losing an argument.

no, he acted like he didn't know what i was talking about, i told him, then Captain November 2011 goes, "YEAH, DIPshiat, I WAS HERE, I SAW IT, I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED".

ok, sorry for not getting the top secret memo about your former login.

2012-06-11 08:32:14 PM
Meh.

2012-06-11 08:41:03 PM
I'm definitely setting an alert on everything and setting the sound to "Hey!" while I ride the crowded elevators at work.

2012-06-11 08:48:26 PM

rickythepenguin: 9beers: Here's the sure sign that somebody is losing an argument.

Yep, this guy isn't known for his stellar debating skills

Gotta love that grade school level reply there. Good work Sparky.

ok, sorry for not getting the top secret memo about your former login.

(Amazing how he just 'knows' I've been banned)

Well gee whiz Einstein, this is the full post you copied part of -
`
Boatmech : meg:
`
So we're stuck with the Smart/Funny buttons whether we want them or not?
Yep, sorry. We can't allow everything on the site to be customizable or we end up with almost infinite possibilities and a maintenance nightmare, so we
have to pick and choose, and unfortunately, this is one of those we aren't going to make into a preference.

To which you posted -

My advice to you? You'll get over it.
/this is fark history; the first time a filthy stinking pigfark liter gets to drop the Tao Of Jeff on an Admin. Write this day down, folks.

So,
A) Yep, you're a stupid fark
And
B) You're a pro at making an incorrect assumption and running with it.
And
C) Did I mention you are a STUPID Fark.

2012-06-11 08:49:41 PM
"Hey"
"Heyyyy"

Something so simple... gonna smile every time.

2012-06-11 08:50:06 PM
if you get a chance please fix your buggy Android app that refuses to open articles at random

2012-06-11 08:50:12 PM
Keeps crashing on my iPad

Meh. I just gave drew two bucks.

2012-06-11 08:52:24 PM
So.. this is just a notifier app. Interesting, but I'd like a reader designed for mobile. I'd like to write one, but as far as I know, there's no API (although i heard osmeone was working on one), but my guess is that Fark doesn't want to get screwed out of advertising revenue .. so.. *shrug*

2012-06-11 09:02:09 PM

Jon iz teh kewl: WHAT ABOUT MY TI-99/4A

Late, but I wanted to thank you for that pic. Memories...

2012-06-11 09:03:38 PM

meg: Barnacles!: so....this is a read-only type of thing.....there's no way to go directly into a particular article you've been alerted to, and then make a comment?

You can definitely do that. When you get an alert, you'll be able to choose to "Read article" or "Read comments". If you read comments, you can post, just like you currently do in the mobile website.

Green lights need to happen more if this is to work.

2012-06-11 09:16:18 PM
Android.

\nao
\\f-apple

2012-06-11 09:23:22 PM
Don't forget us tablet users!

meg [TotalFark]
2012-06-11 09:28:45 PM

scruffynerfherder: Keeps crashing on my iPad

Meh. I just gave drew two bucks.

I'm afraid you just gave $2 to the wrong folks. Our app is linked from the headline and above, and it's free. It's the "Hey! on Fark.com" app.

2012-06-11 09:42:32 PM

meg [TotalFark]
2012-06-11 10:12:01 PM

As long as you're logged in, your settings should take effect. You shouldn't have to post for that to happen.

2012-06-11 10:14:34 PM

You know, if you translate that into legible English I might be able to help.

2012-06-11 10:15:33 PM

meg: scruffynerfherder: Keeps crashing on my iPad

Meh. I just gave drew two bucks.

WHAT?!?!?! I just paid $2k and gave away my anal virginity to an anonymous Nigerien prince. this wasn't part of the license agreement after all?

2012-06-11 10:19:04 PM
iPad resolution blows, nice idea for the app though, I guess... Whatever.

2012-06-11 10:19:51 PM

You know, if you translate that into legible English I might be able to help.

IF I HAD DOWNLOADED THE APP, WOULD I STILL HAVE TO BE MAKING THIS POST TO DISPLAY MORE THAN 50 COMMENTS PER PAGE?

2012-06-11 10:20:38 PM

Chinchillazilla: utsagrad123: Treygreen13: Current Resident: Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

Well they'd definitely get a lot of random people trying that one out.

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if the Sound Alerts could allow for custom ones. The "heeeyyyyyyyyy" one might make women think my dick is hollering at them.

I want a Navi "Hey Listen" notification

Yes. Make it happen, guys.

I want a Navi alert sound for everything. I mentioned this recently at a party and some mean person made me feel old by pointing out that the game came out 12 years ago.

\Reminds me that I have an unfinished Master Quest playthrough.

2012-06-11 10:26:50 PM

PlatinumDragon: I'm going to float a not-entirely-app-related question... what are the odds of getting some control over the font size on the mobile site under iOS? Distressingly few sites offer such capability (theglobeandmail.com being a refreshing exception), and Apple in its developers' infinite wisdom doesn't offer a configuration setting for default browser font size. Oddly, the Reader pane does offer font size control, but since it's clearly only triggered by the presence of particular tags (guess I should find out which ones exactly, out of curiosity).

If the program offered such capability, I'd download it.

My complaint is that there seems to be no way to load a larger, legible, size of images in threads on the mobile site.

2012-06-11 10:30:12 PM

No way it beats out those buttons...if they could just add 'Retarded' mmm, I love the smell of winning.

2012-06-11 10:40:13 PM

You know, if you translate that into legible English I might be able to help.

cache.gawker.com

So ESL?

2012-06-11 10:44:04 PM

jim32rr: GooberMcFly: I predict this will be as successful as Headline Voting™, FarkTV™ and the Smart! and Funny! Buttons™.

Does anyone actually want to keep the Smart/Funny buttons? Well, besides the farkers that vote for their own posts.

2012-06-11 11:07:44 PM

rickythepenguin: GooberMcFly: I predict this will be as successful as Headline Voting™, FarkTV™ and the Smart! and Funny! Buttons™.

one thing i never understood about farktv....well ok, two: 1) the damn thing never worked for me. like i'd click it, and then it was a blank screen. like the flash player wouldn't work. maybe that's why people hated it. don't know. i just never saw any content. 2) how much people HATED farkTV. it is one thing to not care for a product, but, man.....people were like, mad it even existed, practically. bizarre.

/and 3) one of the girls was smoking hot but since i could never watch it, i never got to see her. she'd be in the little ad click thing but that was all i saw

1) be grateful you saw no content
2) you're making me nostalgic... those threads were the best gathering of fail pics and unified hatred I have seen.

2012-06-11 11:50:36 PM
This app requires iOS 4.2 :( guess I'll have to stick with kineso

2012-06-12 12:17:10 AM

Boatmech: cyber_slacker: Boatmech: cyber_slacker: If I had downloaded the app, would I still have to be making this post to display more than 50 comments per page?

You know, if you translate that into legible English I might be able to help.

[cache.gawker.com image 300x448]

So ESL?

ARE YOU HITTING ON ME?

2012-06-12 12:24:25 AM
Not 4.1 compatable. Not worth the effort of syncing my phone to a new computer with no back up on hand and having to redo my jailbreak. I'll just keep using the mobile browser. I was hoping for a Fark app. What a shame.

2012-06-12 01:12:48 AM
Nice tools, decent 1.0, but...

1) Needs font size options

2) For good and proper farking, needs tabbed browsing

Good luck on future development.

2012-06-12 01:54:20 AM
if we download the app, will it bring back Hot Buttered Asian?

2012-06-12 02:30:51 AM

Therion: if we download the app, will it bring back Hot Buttered Asian?

What does this refer to?

2012-06-12 02:54:51 AM

Msphere: Therion: if we download the app, will it bring back Hot Buttered Asian?

What does this refer to?

No such user 'Hot Buttered Asian'. Tastes like
chicken.

2012-06-12 03:00:42 AM
Why haven't you already started on the Android version? Too busy basking in the success of your half-victory? If you even spent just one minute a day on it you would be able to say that you're working on it. One minute. Can't even muster that effort? Pathetic.

Oh wait, I have an IPhone.

2012-06-12 05:20:31 AM
Yet another of the "download our special iPad app now! bullshiat offers. Fark is a website, and IOS has you covered with a web browser. Your mobile version of the site kinda sucks and when I view it in "normal" mode on my iPad it works fine,

Who thought up the idea that I might want a dedicated app for every website I visit? Someone who needs a clue, obviously - someone who needs that clue driven into their head with a large pointy hammer with the point shaped like a dildo. Several times.

Geez; where did this stupidity come from? Trying to stay relevant as technology changes? Trying to catch the Apple wave? Maybe you think that an app will make Fark "sticky" somehow and make IOS users more likely to visit? Is it that alert about new stuff? fark that; there's new stuff constantly; I don't need some brain dead app alerting me constantly.

Hey, Drew - the path to success is to make Fark the best website it can be. Forget about targeting IOS devices; they're just another way to view your site. Unless, of course, you decide to fark with them too much and chase them away. If you're really obsessed with the iPad, then for goodness sake buy one and see what your site looks like in Mobile Safari. Fix the few and tiny warts and call it good. And fire whoever sold you on the "we need an iPad app" bullshiat - they're not doing you any favors.

And those folks who play the "if you don't give Android users what you give IOS users, you're being unfair, un American, you're discriminating!" song over and over again - get over yourselves. Nobody owes you ANYTHING based upon your choice of mobile OS. If you wanted all of the IOS apps, then you should have purchased an IOS device. You bought the low priced bargain device; now live with your choice and quit bothering developers who are trying to make a living.

2012-06-12 06:09:21 AM
As an iPad user, I hope you'll make a HD version. The zoomed iphone app feels so wrong.

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | » | Last | Show all