Do you have adblock enabled?

Fark's new iPhone/iPad app
Posted by Unfreakable at 2012-06-11 3:36:13 PM (259 comments) | Permalink

15759 clicks; posted to Main » on 11 Jun 2012 at 3:40 PM (3 years ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Hey everybody, over the weekend it just got approved so this is our official announcement that we just released our first ever mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. The new "Hey! on Fark.com" app will send notifications to your device based on triggers that you set up. By default, you receive notifications on every Newsflash story, but you can set up triggers for different pages (Main, Geek), topics (Florida, Spiffy), or sources (CNN, ESPN, Discover). Best of all, though, is that you can set up custom triggers for specific keywords or phrases, like your favorite team's name, or the last name of a player you follow. You can get every headline that includes NASA or mugshot roundup or Doctor Who.

For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you. We'll be working on an Android version soon. We figured that it would be easier to make one app and work out the bugs rather than trying to do both apps for different platforms simultaneously. We had more experience with Apple and their process, so that was our starting point.

Many of you already use our mobile website http://m.fark.com. We're very proud of our mobile website, and we'll continue making improvements to it. It's incorporated into the app so that you don't have to leave the app to browse mobile Fark. This just gives you a way to make it a lot more customizable.

A lot of other questions are answered in the Hey App FArQ, but if you have other questions, or suggestions that you want to send directly to us, you can use the Farkback topic for Feedback on Hey! on Fark.com Mobile App. For bug/error reports, please use the Report a bug or error message topic.

It's free to download, check it out here: Hey! on Fark.com app

2012-06-11 03:38:20 PM
What a wonderful name for an app.

2012-06-11 03:39:17 PM

2012-06-11 03:39:34 PM
`side-boob photo alert' app?

2012-06-11 03:39:49 PM
Still Loaded With Ads!TM

2012-06-11 03:40:51 PM
I posted this with a funnier headline

2012-06-11 03:41:04 PM

2012-06-11 03:41:29 PM

2012-06-11 03:41:45 PM
Why?

2012-06-11 03:42:03 PM
This is a repeat from yesterday. Boo mods!

2012-06-11 03:42:14 PM
Wonderful, I've waiting for alerts on Dr. Who mugshots!

2012-06-11 03:42:48 PM
I don't think this will help me get laid...

2012-06-11 03:43:03 PM
This is good news... for Obama!

2012-06-11 03:43:48 PM
Neat. I'll download it.

Incidentally, Unfreakable. There's a guy with a Fark app that's $1.99 that claims that it is co-developed with the Fark team. Do you know this guy? Is he simply trying to take a free ride off your goodwill, or is he on the up and up? It's called "Fark(r) Not News" by Kineso.

2012-06-11 03:43:54 PM
This headline needs a Cuervo Moment!

2012-06-11 03:44:11 PM
But can I use the app to get automatic BIE?

2012-06-11 03:44:48 PM

rudemix: This headline needs a Cuervo Moment!

Hahahahahaha

2012-06-11 03:44:59 PM

bighairyguy: Wonderful, I've waiting for alerts on Dr. Who mugshots!

During testing, I used the keyword "naked" to get the occasional headline about some naked guy getting tasered. After my phone nearly exploded, I changed the keyword to "tasered" and got better results.

/we really do green a lot of naked people being arrested

2012-06-11 03:45:01 PM
I wait with baited breath for the Android app then.

2012-06-11 03:45:12 PM
iFark?

/on the first date.../

2012-06-11 03:45:40 PM
The interface is awesome! Way to go!

codinghorror.typepad.com

2012-06-11 03:46:15 PM

cheap_thoughts: Still Loaded With Ads!TM

I first read this as "Still Loaded With AIDS."

2012-06-11 03:46:54 PM

Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

2012-06-11 03:48:01 PM
WHAT ABOUT MY TI-99/4A

xona.com

2012-06-11 03:48:16 PM

rudemix: There was some not so great app for Droid when I got mine but the mobile site works good for now.

Is this to be the wave of the future? Not just Fark, but it seems everyone wants you to download their app to see what should be easy enough to view with a browser even on a mobile phone.

Instead of using a browser on our phones or tablets will we eventually be locked out from content that is only available with a special app?

2012-06-11 03:48:17 PM

Current Resident: Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

That would have been genius. Can they change the name? F-App™.

2012-06-11 03:48:57 PM

Current Resident: Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

Well they'd definitely get a lot of random people trying that one out.

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if the Sound Alerts could allow for custom ones. The "heeeyyyyyyyyy" one might make women think my dick is hollering at them.

2012-06-11 03:49:22 PM

RexTalionis: Neat. I'll download it.

If I recall correctly, a couple years ago someone approached Drew to create an iPhone app and Drew gave him the go-ahead to run with it, but this is the first internally developed app.

2012-06-11 03:49:23 PM

mcoctopus: Why?

My thoughts too. Don't get me wrong, I'm on the mobile site way too frequently for my own good. I just get annoyed that every website has a mobile app, and even more annoyed that half of them try to get me to download it before going to their content. I doubt Fark will be so pushy though, thankfully. I suppose if I were to get apps for websites, Fark would be one of the few, but my browser is perfectly good enough.

2012-06-11 03:49:24 PM

rudemix: This headline needs a Cuervo Moment!

Jose Cuervo™: You'll Get iVer it!

2012-06-11 03:49:28 PM
Still no voting or ability to crop others quoted posts. Why is this that great?

2012-06-11 03:50:10 PM

1. Allow highlighting of my name in comments.

2. A mobile version of My Fark, mostly to keep track of the threads I've posted in.

3. Showing the number of new comments next to the number of comments.

4. Make it so you can quote part of a post rather than everything.

2012-06-11 03:50:12 PM

Treygreen13: Current Resident: Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

Well they'd definitely get a lot of random people trying that one out.

I want a Navi "Hey Listen" notification

2012-06-11 03:51:25 PM

Current Resident: Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

The accelerometer would definitely be useful.

2012-06-11 03:51:26 PM

Happy Hours:

We actually agree, which is why we didn't want our app to be just another way to read Fark, which you can do perfectly well on your mobile browser. That's why the app does something the mobile browser can't do - notifies you on stories that you care about seeing.

2012-06-11 03:51:43 PM
I just downloaded this.

This is just the mobile website inside a bulky app. What's the point?

2012-06-11 03:52:04 PM

picturescrazy: mcoctopus: Why?

For surfing, the mobile site for Fark is great. This supplements that by letting you set up keyword triggers for news you'd be interested in when you're not actively surfing.

2012-06-11 03:52:19 PM
Totalfarking from my Fark app. It's a whole new world!

2012-06-11 03:52:30 PM
Just downloaded the app and am now posting from it from my iphone.

2012-06-11 03:52:41 PM

quick_thinkfast: I just downloaded this.

This is just the mobile website inside a bulky app. What's the point?

But, this one goes to 11.

2012-06-11 03:53:15 PM
But, I'm on Android...

2012-06-11 03:53:25 PM

Current Resident: Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

I FApp all the time, Even on the Go!

2012-06-11 03:53:59 PM

quick_thinkfast: I just downloaded this.

This is just the mobile website inside a bulky app. What's the point?

It's an alert feature for the mobile site, pretty much.

2012-06-11 03:54:07 PM

1. Allow highlighting of my name in comments.

3. Showing the number of new comments next to the number of comments.

4. Make it so you can quote part of a post rather than everything.

All things that are on our (very long) to-do list!

2012-06-11 03:54:09 PM

I just picked up a BB Torch at lunch - now I get the best of both worlds!

And ya, how about a little something for us? What else am I supposed to do when I'm stuck in a meeting? Work?

2012-06-11 03:54:41 PM

2012-06-11 03:55:00 PM

2012-06-11 03:55:06 PM
Looks pretty sad on my iPad when it comes up at quarter screen.

2012-06-11 03:55:20 PM
Don't think I'm interested. I don't like receiving notifications. I find them bothersome.

2012-06-11 03:55:22 PM

GooberMcFly: Current Resident: Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

That would have been genius. Can they change the name? F-App™.

"Did you hear about the plane crash that killed 500 people?"

"Yeah, I'm F-Apping right now."

2012-06-11 03:55:22 PM

Nope - we had nothing to do with that one. You'll have to talk to the 3rd party developers.

2012-06-11 03:56:14 PM

Not us.

2012-06-11 03:56:28 PM
How two years ago.

Let me know when a Droid version is released.

2012-06-11 03:56:32 PM

You can definitely do that. When you get an alert, you'll be able to choose to "Read article" or "Read comments". If you read comments, you can post, just like you currently do in the mobile website.

2012-06-11 03:56:36 PM

meg: All things that are on our (very long) to-do list!

Well what are you doing here then? Chop chop!

j/k thanks for the update.

2012-06-11 03:56:38 PM

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

Well they'd definitely get a lot of random people trying that one out.

I want a Navi "Hey Listen" notification

Yes. Make it happen, guys.

2012-06-11 03:56:45 PM
fark the Android users.

They have shiatty tastes in technology. Just ignore them and pander to those who actually spend money, the MacHeads

2012-06-11 03:57:04 PM

[SMART]

*click*

2012-06-11 03:57:18 PM

quick_thinkfast: I just downloaded this.

This is just the mobile website inside a bulky app. What's the point?

Makes you easier to track! Think of the Total Cost of Ownership!

\Enjoy it with a cool refreshing Jose Cuervo™!

2012-06-11 03:57:32 PM

meg: EviLincoln: Dunno if you all were part of the android fark app but it crashes constantly on my droid 2. It also loaded slower than my browser.

Well thanks for the response. I'd wondered about that.

2012-06-11 03:57:39 PM

2012-06-11 03:57:49 PM

meg: Barnacles!: so....this is a read-only type of thing.....there's no way to go directly into a particular article you've been alerted to, and then make a comment?

oh! ok, cool. Thanks!

2012-06-11 03:57:52 PM

quick_thinkfast: I just downloaded this.

This is just the mobile website inside a bulky app. What's the point?

You probably downloaded the old Fark app by Kineso. Look for the one made by Fark itself.

2012-06-11 03:58:06 PM

meant to respond to your entire comment. If you touch the alert, it gives you two swipe options: go to the story or the thread

2012-06-11 03:58:38 PM

rfronk: But, I'm on Android...

I am also an android.

I mean I'm also on android.

2012-06-11 03:58:40 PM

Unfreakable: Barnacles!: ay to go

When it gives you the alert, you touch it and it gives you two swipe options, to read the article or read the thread

cool. i will check it out. Thanks!!

2012-06-11 03:58:55 PM
Nice. Whose voice is on the alerts?

2012-06-11 03:59:39 PM

NallTWD: I remember the OLD look of the Fark iPhone/iPad app, and I am outraged by this new interface. Bring back the old one.

Over it, get there.

2012-06-11 03:59:40 PM

2012-06-11 03:59:51 PM

RexTalionis: Neat. I'll download it.

IIRC, the Kineso app was shilled here by an admin at the time of it's release as a semi-official app.

2012-06-11 04:00:13 PM
Sounds cool, I will await the Android version, but did you guys know that somewhat often the buttons to change tabs don't work on the mobile version that is already in place?

It's not hard to work around, but it seems to be a bug, or maybe my phone is farked, one or the other. Good luck with the app, and I will try the Android version as soon as it is available.

/yay runon sentences!

2012-06-11 04:00:26 PM

2012-06-11 04:01:26 PM
Congrats on the release, guys/gals!

2012-06-11 04:01:36 PM

pisceandreamer: Nice. Whose voice is on the alerts?

Drew. And a squirrel. Not sure which is which, though.

2012-06-11 04:01:59 PM

9beers: Why the focus on the iPAd app first? I would think that Fark has more Android users based on the hatred for everything Apple. Do the numbers show that not to be the case? Are Farkers a bunch of closeted Apple fan boys?

Actually, we have (very) slightly more Android phone users than iPhone users, but more Apple devices overall than Android devices (including iPads and iPod Touches), which is another part of why we chose to go the iRoute first.

2012-06-11 04:03:30 PM

mvalpreda: Looks pretty sad on my iPad when it comes up at quarter screen.

Yes, very sad. I'm heading back to my brouser.

2012-06-11 04:03:34 PM
it should be named F.app

2012-06-11 04:04:18 PM

22 88 999 2 66 33 9 7 44 666 66 33

2012-06-11 04:04:22 PM
I used the app to track the package containing my Guinness bar towel.

2012-06-11 04:04:26 PM
Not really my kind of thing, but it works fine.

2012-06-11 04:05:01 PM
What about us heterosexuals (Android users)?

2012-06-11 04:10:21 PM

I've got a virgin mobile droid phone. It's a great plan, and the motorola triumph is a pretty solid phone.

2012-06-11 04:10:52 PM

2012-06-11 04:11:48 PM

2012-06-11 04:12:51 PM

2012-06-11 04:13:03 PM

Apple rejected my request to have a more fabulous Heeeeeeeey put in, although their main objection was that Apple didn't have a way to shoot glitter out per our request.

2012-06-11 04:13:07 PM
Can't beat my fark app*, it runs anywhere you have access to a web browser. On any platform/device.

lordargent.com

// * aka, google reader

2012-06-11 04:13:08 PM

hahaha that would be great. Maybe Drew doing his best Takai "Oh Myyyyyy!" or an extra fabulous "sayyy fellasss!" :P

2012-06-11 04:13:37 PM

vegaswench: Thanks, iPhone users, for working out the bugs for us Andriod users. Much appreciated!

Hey, there's a spellcheck bug.

2012-06-11 04:14:37 PM
I swear to god, if this site starts putting up interstitials saying "we see you're using an iPad! Check out our app!" I'm going to fervently imagine giving Drew a flying cockpunch.

imgs.xkcd.com

2012-06-11 04:14:54 PM

philthpig: it should be named F.app

this is so obvious and GENIUS that I am truly surprised it was NOT the name you guys submitted for the app.

2012-06-11 04:15:05 PM

2012-06-11 04:15:25 PM

fireclown: TheShavingofOccam123: What about Virgin Mobile users? Nothing for us flippers? Damn you all, you technology shifters.

I've been putting off upgrading--I only use my phone to call for emergencies--but now they are going to be offering both the Android and iPhones on Virgin unlimited. The iPhone's going to be expensive but it's month to month. So who knows. Maybe I'll be asking Siri "what's the difference between John Malkovich and a crack hooker?"

2012-06-11 04:15:42 PM

3. Showing the number of new comments next to the number of comments.

4. Make it so you can quote part of a post rather than everything.

Please take note powers at be. If you don't have a ton on your plate, and it is possible without too many hoops, these are some excellent ideas. myFark is the handy little control panel by which you access all your active threads throughout the day. Unless I have a super bored day off work when I can be refreshing all the different tabs, the myFark is the go to page.

2012-06-11 04:16:38 PM

Nope. We will be putting something at the top of the page so people are aware it's an option, but nothing that prevents you from using the mobile website the same as before!

2012-06-11 04:17:34 PM

2012-06-11 04:18:01 PM

If the program offered such capability, I'd download it.

2012-06-11 04:18:08 PM

Anumati: I hope you don't do that horrible thing where every time I visit the mobile site, I get pushed to install the app.

I hate that crap. At the very least sites could set a cookie when you say no the first time.

2012-06-11 04:18:30 PM

Unfreakable: angrymacface: Is it wrong that I kinda wish the "Heeeeeey" notification were a bit more fabulous?

2012-06-11 04:18:42 PM

Not at this time, but it's one of the top items on our list for app improvements (see here for the others).

2012-06-11 04:18:53 PM
Awww Apple OS... trying to get more farkers on the left I see

2012-06-11 04:19:00 PM

That would make some people's phones explode. Especially on TF.

2012-06-11 04:19:02 PM

meg: Happy Hours:

Email/SMS?

If you wanted to build it on both platforms, could've used something like appcelerator.

2012-06-11 04:19:55 PM

angrymacface: I think you just have to use the Sparkle overlay function. Something like NSFabSparkle, I think.

:-D

2012-06-11 04:21:01 PM
Compliment: it scrolls much faster/better than Fark-in-Safari.

Kudos!

2012-06-11 04:21:59 PM

Will we see this notification at the top of the page every time? And will there be a way to disable this if so? And will non iPhone users be affected?

2012-06-11 04:22:41 PM

D_Evans45: 9beers: I'm happy using the mobile site and don't really like apps. That said, I'd like to see a few improvements to the mobile site if possible.

3. Showing the number of new comments next to the number of comments.

4. Make it so you can quote part of a post rather than everything.

`

2012-06-11 04:22:58 PM

Don't worry, You'll Get Over It™

2012-06-11 04:23:37 PM

D_Evans45: meg: Anumati: I like the mobile site. I hope you don't do that horrible thing where every time I visit the mobile site, I get pushed to install the app. Because honestly, it sounds great for people who care about stuff, but I like to just scroll through the headlines.

Yep (but it'll be fairly unobtrusive). Probably not. And nope.

2012-06-11 04:23:56 PM
So, where does FarkPro fit into this?

2012-06-11 04:24:17 PM

You can but it would be so much nicer to have something formatted for a mobile screen.

2012-06-11 04:25:26 PM
i78.photobucket.com

2012-06-11 04:26:39 PM

2012-06-11 04:26:47 PM

ehhh. who knows. maybe i'll love it. on the other hand using Fark's mobile thingie works just as well.

ehhh. WFC.

2012-06-11 04:27:45 PM

Boatmech: On the mobile app, if there are 2 or 300 comments you have to load every page to get to the last. Why not allow the user to skip to page 4 or 6 or which ever?

That's the one I was forgetting. Yes, this needs to happen as well.

2012-06-11 04:28:13 PM
I was about to get upitty, but I see you are working on a real smartphone app.

I will never be an itard that pays twice what I should for half the features.

Besides, lots of starving, underpaid Chinese workers would rather kill themselves than build iphones.

2012-06-11 04:28:21 PM

2012-06-11 04:30:20 PM

rickythepenguin: huh. i'll check it out but it deosn't sound like i'll use or need any of the functions. i guess the newsflash is a cool fucntion but the "notify me any time ___ i smentioned" is kinda strange.

ehhh. WFC.

For what it's worth - some of our beta testers felt the same way... that they wouldn't really use it. A lot of them were surprised at how much they liked it once they started testing. YMMV, but that's the feedback we received from them. Worth keeping around for a day or two to see if that's the case for you :-)

2012-06-11 04:30:49 PM
It's right next to my OK Cupid and Plenty of Fish apps.

2012-06-11 04:30:50 PM

meg: That's also on the list. However, for those of you not aware of it, there's a preference in your profile for, "Automatically jump to first new comment when reading," which isn't a bad workaround for now.

That only seems to work for me if I've posted a comment in the thread. If I look at a thread and then come back to it later, I'm still stuck on the first page even though there are multiple pages.

2012-06-11 04:30:52 PM

one thing i never understood about farktv....well ok, two: 1) the damn thing never worked for me. like i'd click it, and then it was a blank screen. like the flash player wouldn't work. maybe that's why people hated it. don't know. i just never saw any content. 2) how much people HATED farkTV. it is one thing to not care for a product, but, man.....people were like, mad it even existed, practically. bizarre.

/and 3) one of the girls was smoking hot but since i could never watch it, i never got to see her. she'd be in the little ad click thing but that was all i saw

2012-06-11 04:34:08 PM

9beers: Boatmech: There is a MyFark button at the top of the mobile page (on mine anyway). Why can't you use that to pop over to the MyFark page?

Which was actually my next question, why use the rinky-dink moble page at all? I use it kinda like an extra 'tab' but most of the time I read/post from the regular site.
Can you guys not load the regular page at all?

2012-06-11 04:34:18 PM

2012-06-11 04:34:24 PM

meg: A lot of them were surprised at how much they liked it once they started testing. YMMV, but that's the feedback we received from them. Worth keeping around for a day or two to see if that's the case for you :-)

yeah, you never know until you know.

also, when i'm in a situation where my only option is to use my mobile, that means i'm either golfing, hiking, at a movie/ game, concert, church, etc., where using any mobile device would be stupid.

i'll check it out though. thanks.

2012-06-11 04:34:25 PM

9beers:

2012-06-11 04:37:14 PM

Not yet. We'd like to have one, but it'll likely be after the Android app. This one will work on the iPad, but it does show up as the smaller "iPhone-sized" rectangle on the iPad screen.

2012-06-11 04:38:12 PM

meg: Cyclometh: App store has "Hey! on Fark.com" listed only under iPhone apps. Is there an iPad-specific version? iPhone-specific apps tend to look and work like ass on the iPad.

:sadface: Thanks for clarifying that.

2012-06-11 04:38:35 PM

Glenford: xynix: What about my blackberry? Can't leave blackberry.. it clicks .. clicky click. Touchscreens suck.

I just picked up a BB Torch at lunch - now I get the best of both worlds!

you'll get over blackberry. QUICK.

2012-06-11 04:40:29 PM
I prefer the old Fark mobile app rather than the new. Too much whitespace now.

2012-06-11 04:40:49 PM
Cool! Its almost like having a drew curtis soundboard!

2012-06-11 04:41:55 PM

I've got a virgin mobile droid phone.

This app will get your phone laid.

2012-06-11 04:42:21 PM
About damn time.

/posted from my iPhone with said app

2012-06-11 04:42:23 PM
Can you set ti notify of comments containing BIE?

Or auto notify if GD posts in a thread.

2012-06-11 04:42:40 PM
Is there an ETA on a Fark app for GoPhone prepaid phones?

You know, for today's felonious/wanted Farker on the go.

2012-06-11 04:42:50 PM
I hate the mobile site, it doesn't farking PING. BEEP,HEY,TING,TONG,TANG.

and notifications take an hour to come to my inbox, so you have to be constantly refreshing? seriously? i cant live that way. I HAVE A LIFE. of pings. or triads

2012-06-11 04:45:10 PM
I bet it could be released as f.app on Google Play.

2012-06-11 04:47:02 PM
All you whinny Android users, just be lucky you have balls.

don't trust a girl that has Droid

click the proof!

Link

2012-06-11 04:47:04 PM
Not bad. I really deeply hate the iphone keyboard so probably won't post much with it, but nice to be able to read stuff.

/posted from app on ipad.

2012-06-11 04:47:08 PM

I just picked up a BB Torch at lunch - now I get the best of both worlds!

I concur with you both. I'm on my second Blackberry--recently bought Blackberry Torch. I have a Verizon mobile Touchscreen phone for work with the tiny on screen keyboard. Drives me crazy. The Torch also has touch screen, much faster and improved internet and much improved visual screen and audio.

Would like to check Fark on my mobile phone although I think I have developed an Internet addiction --spending more and more time on PC and mobile phone on Fark, reading news stories, playing card games...help!

2012-06-11 04:47:14 PM
You guy are aware iOS6 was just announced today. Have fun upgrading the app.

2012-06-11 04:48:04 PM

meg: Boatmech: meg: 9beers: Do you also get a "hey" when somebody mentions you or responds to a comment you posted?

`
How about a preference for getting rid of the Smart/Funny tags? Before they were added I could run the regular site in "single column" and use the quote button. Now those two tabs (that I never use) crowd out the quote tab, which I do use.

2012-06-11 04:49:43 PM

picturescrazy: mcoctopus: Why?

THIS.

1992 is calling and it wants its idiocy back.

Before the web every online data source had its own UI and connection methodology. The web chagned that by providing a consistent UI and eliminated the one-off application that caused untold regression testing everytime a new version was released.

It's inter-generational amnesia -- the new crop of cool kids doing these make-work applications see it as "innovation" when all it is is an unscalable mess.

2012-06-11 04:52:04 PM

meg: 9beers: I'm happy using the mobile site and don't really like apps. That said, I'd like to see a few improvements to the mobile site if possible.

1. Allow highlighting of my name in comments.

3. Showing the number of new comments next to the number of comments.

4. Make it so you can quote part of a post rather than everything.

All things that are on our (very long) to-do list!

Since there wont be a Droid app for a while I'd like to add this to 9beers list. Add page links and a first and last page button. It can be quite time consuming to start on page 1 of a long thread (like Monday night raw ) and try and get to the last page. Just a thought.

2012-06-11 04:52:35 PM
So it does work with TotalFark?

If so, I might join again (first time in 6+ years).

2012-06-11 04:52:50 PM
I'm really tempted to just randomize my alerts, so I can hear "Heyyyy" a lot. No idea why, but it cracks my shiat up.

2012-06-11 04:57:31 PM

bighairyguy: The keywords are pretty neat and direct access to TF and TFD are a big improvement. Need to add Forums to the dropdown box. What's the password to get to the UltraFark section?

Password is uY28r04b*CARRIER LOST*

2012-06-11 04:58:32 PM
How about an app for the iPad that isn't just a iPhone app that u blow up and looks shiatty?

2012-06-11 05:01:30 PM
Meh, doesn't work better than safari.

I want my free back!

imgs.xkcd.com

2012-06-11 05:06:17 PM

meg: That shouldn't be the case. As long as you're logged in, it should work. Send us a farkback to the "Report an error" option and I'll follow up with you and see if we can figure out what's going on and why it's not working as it should for you.

I just reported it. Wanted to be sure I wasn't talking crazy before reporting it so I was waiting to test it out on a thread.

Browsed the first 100 comments of a 334 comment thread. Left the thread and came back to it after another comment had been added. Instead of taking me to the new comment, I was still on the first page. If anything, I would have at least expected to end up on the second page of comments.

2012-06-11 05:06:52 PM
Why wasn't this announced at WWDC?

2012-06-11 05:07:23 PM

My guess is "boobs, shoes, fashion, lakers, LA" after that I kinda go blank

2012-06-11 05:10:24 PM
Is it in Flash?

2012-06-11 05:10:35 PM

VivianVivisect: I'm using it right now! What did you guys use for keywords? I'm not that forward thinking...

My guess is "boobs, shoes, fashion, lakers, LA" after that I kinda go blank

Zimmerman

2012-06-11 05:13:10 PM
Cool. Posting this from my iPhone!

I like how all the sounds are in Drew's voice... "duke sucks"

2012-06-11 05:13:24 PM

rfronk: But, I'm on Android...

Me too! :-(

2012-06-11 05:14:08 PM

bighairyguy: What's the password to get to the UltraFark section?

cat

2012-06-11 05:14:10 PM

My guess is "boobs, shoes, fashion, lakers, LA" after that I kinda go blank

I had a whole bunch during testing, but I've got the Florida, Newsflash and News tags. Need to add in some keyword triggers, but I'm on Fark so much that I generally see most threads live.

2012-06-11 05:14:49 PM
Nice ! I only want to be notified of posts relating to Lacey Chabert's Cleavage and Bacon. How do I set that up ?

2012-06-11 05:15:11 PM

9beers:

Zimmerman

I LoL'd

2012-06-11 05:17:08 PM

Unfreakable: I'll fight to keep that out. I hate that ABC won't let me read any of their articles without installing the app.

i don't mobile but this is the bane of my existence. "social readers" are a scam foisted on us by greedy companies trying to monetize what should be a god given right to free web use.

yes i have totalfark, why do you ask?

2012-06-11 05:18:20 PM
Is there a way to set up a keyword watch only in one section of the site? Like "Doctor Who" but only in Geek or Entertainment?

2012-06-11 05:20:42 PM

1. Allow highlighting of my name in comments.

put yourself on your favorites list & pick a color. I do that just so I can find my comments easier when people misquote me. :)

2012-06-11 05:21:23 PM
Anyone else getting the javascript alert ads on Android's web browser?

2012-06-11 05:23:35 PM

Barnacles!: angrymacface: Is it wrong that I kinda wish the "Heeeeeey" notification were a bit more fabulous?

I vote for this.

2012-06-11 05:23:56 PM
The AWs will love this. When they're blowing some big greasy truck driver at the local truck stop for $5, they can get instant notification of some basement dweller white-knighting them in a "buy me stuff from my wish list" thread.

2012-06-11 05:25:26 PM

moothemagiccow: Anyone else getting the javascript alert ads on Android's web browser?

If you're getting anything like that, please send any information you have to the Report a bad banner ad option in Farkback. Those are most definitely NOT allowed on Fark or Fark Mobile. If you can send screenshots and click-thru URLs, that helps us a lot.

thanks!

2012-06-11 05:26:17 PM
What's Drews cut of the data plans this thing eats up?

I'm kidding.........

2012-06-11 05:28:27 PM

I was on ABC the other day through a fark link. ABC threw up a download the mobile app banner but it does let you decline and move on to the website. Using android...

2012-06-11 05:39:05 PM

2012-06-11 05:40:20 PM

Igor Jakovsky: Unfreakable: Anumati: I like the mobile site. I hope you don't do that horrible thing where every time I visit the mobile site, I get pushed to install the app. Because honestly, it sounds great for people who care about stuff, but I like to just scroll through the headlines.

Apple is introducing some new standardized way of doing those in ios6. No idea how obtrusive it is, but I can't imagine it's as bad as an alert dialog.

2012-06-11 05:40:42 PM

serial_crusher: What criteria does it use to notify TFers? When the article is greenlit, or when it goes live to liters?

Currently it's when the article goes live to liters. We'll be looking at earlier notifications for TFers in the next version.

2012-06-11 05:41:30 PM
meg:
`
So we're stuck with the Smart/Funny buttons whether we want them or not?

2012-06-11 05:43:52 PM
I'm going to say "Hey! Fark ap" the same way I say "OK! magazine."

The Soup has ruined me forever.

2012-06-11 05:44:21 PM

Boatmech: meg:
`
So we're stuck with the Smart/Funny buttons whether we want them or not?

2012-06-11 05:49:24 PM
Does this mean I will have to wear pants?

2012-06-11 05:49:35 PM

2012-06-11 05:57:16 PM

meg: Boatmech: meg:
`
So we're stuck with the Smart/Funny buttons whether we want them or not?

`
(Didn't mean to shout, well bold that - sorry)
`
Understood. They're not showing on this thread - I'm guessing voting is not enabled.

/how about getting rid of them altogether?
//yeah, yeah, I know - it'll never happen.

2012-06-11 05:57:23 PM

meg: Also - for those of you still in this thread (and have downloaded the app), have you found the easter egg yet? Hint: It's in Sources, and not that hard to find. Once you find it, go back and check out your current triggers page. It's not chess, but it's still fun.

Sources?

2012-06-11 05:58:50 PM

RexTalionis:

Sources?

Add a Trigger->Sources

2012-06-11 05:59:05 PM

My advice to you? You'll get over it.

/this is fark history; the first time a filthy stinking pigfark liter gets to drop the Tao Of Jeff on an Admin. Write this day down, folks.

2012-06-11 06:00:40 PM

meg: RexTalionis:

Sources?

Add a Trigger->Sources

Yeah, I found it. Thanks.

2012-06-11 06:02:11 PM
Goodbye, productivity!

2012-06-11 06:02:18 PM
Hey, I can finally post! My acct is un-Borked!

//still a lurker

2012-06-11 06:03:03 PM

Is it as fun as that time you entered the Konami code at the main page for Scott Pilgrim?

/would try it later if thats the case.

2012-06-11 06:12:23 PM

rickythepenguin: meg: Yep, sorry. We can't allow everything on the site to be customizable or we end up with almost infinite possibilities and a maintenance nightmare, so we have to pick and choose, and unfortunately, this is one of those we aren't going to make into a preference.

My advice to you? You'll get over it.

WTFark are you refering to?

2012-06-11 06:16:53 PM
Meh.

2012-06-11 06:18:28 PM
By no means do I need notifications, but I would very very much like the Android version to include an interface with the SHARE mechanism. That would make submitting links way easier.

2012-06-11 06:19:14 PM

Boatmech: WTFark are you refering to?

seeing you are relatively new......

perhaps in 2007, 2006, whatever, Fark did a huge redesign of the site. well. truth be told they didn't change it a lot but it was a change. A lot of people were upset that no one told us this was in the works. no notice, just one dya you crack the site open, it looks different.

jeff, at the time one of the few mods or whatever that regularly intereacted with us, basically got sick of the BS and posted "you'll get over it". which, while true, was like throwing gasoline on a dumpster fire. hoo boy did that piss people off.

it ends up with Jeff getting his modship/admin-ship rescinded. and he basically quit as I understand and Drew eventually apologized to us. so now, whenever something changes on TF there's always a comedian or two that pipes up with YGOI which is what I call the Tao Of Jeff.

2012-06-11 06:19:44 PM
I'm sure everyone will be relieved to know that the app appears to work just dandy on IOS6.

2012-06-11 06:23:01 PM

rickythepenguin: there was a blog thread not unlike this one with every range of post you can imagine: "love it!", "hate it!", "why didn't you tell us?", "it's your site, do what you want", you name it.

also, at the time, my TF was just about to end. i didn't like the redesign as for some reason, it hurt my eyes. something about the white. don't know. all i know is there were a lot of people saying the same thing: "after about 10 minutes, my eyes hurt, WTF did you do to the screen?" Mike or someone afterwards insisted they dind't change the color palette and we were all imagining things. he could be right, but there dozens of us compaling about the same thing. *shrug*

so anyways, i said, "welp, my TF is ending, i'm gonna let it lapse, let them figure out how to fix this, then i'll come back whenever i come back."

days / weeks go by, i get sponsored, i start posting in TFD. some jackfark starts in with "LOL nice willpower hypocrite! lol! you said you quit TF! What a dumbass LOL you knew you'd never leave LOLEST LOLLLLLLL!"

And i'm like, no, i never promised anytyhing about leaving. cockmouth.

/although some did in fact leave for ever. lotta folks that left in the Great Redesign Of Aught Seven (Or Eitht), lots of those folks are gone, no mo fo sho.

2012-06-11 06:27:34 PM

I don't know why, but "clicky click" made me laugh for a solid 10 minutes.

2012-06-11 06:28:40 PM

It's as if iOS folks are just beta testers, while we Android folks get the good stuff after the kids have monkeyed around with it...

2012-06-11 06:30:48 PM
They did make it a brighter white, but toned it down after people complained.

They got over it.

2012-06-11 06:31:35 PM

TemperedEdge: I can't help but chuckle at the fact that you're using the iCant platform as a shakedown cruise, and then bringing a better-developed app to Android.

What's with the us vs. them mentality when it comes to phone OSes? It's largely the same shiat.

/Got iOS, Android and webOS devices and uses them all.

2012-06-11 06:31:51 PM
Apps? LOL

Dude, Jobs is dead, man.

2012-06-11 06:33:53 PM

labman: They did make it a brighter white, but toned it down after people complained.

huh. whomever it was, i think Mike but not certain, insisted they didn't do anything. who knows. I'm pretty sure it was him because i think he was the one that hosted the semi-regular "ask a Mod" threads and after the redesign, that was a frequent question. he or whomever it was said they didn't do anything and imagined it.

but yeah, it hurt your eyes after a while. even farking aroundw ith your contrast didn't fix it.

IT WAS UNFIXABLE, MAN! GAME OVER! GAME OVER, MAN1

2012-06-11 06:40:28 PM
Yay! I'm always looking for new ways to Fark.

2012-06-11 06:43:55 PM
It's free to download, check it out here: Hey! on Fark.com app

I would...
images.popmatters.com
prefer not to.

2012-06-11 06:53:06 PM

2012-06-11 06:55:51 PM

rickythepenguin: Boatmech: WTFark are you referring to?

seeing you are relatively new......

Seeing as you're an idiot I'll use small words....

1.bp.blogspot.com
`
I was here during that and am familiar with the details. Your comment made no sense but after glancing at that WOT which you managed to spread over 2 separate posts I don't find that surprising.

2012-06-11 07:10:32 PM
Well, if the app icon is any indication of its design sensibilities, I'm initially skeptical. You guys make that in MS paint?

Also. "Hey?" really?

2012-06-11 07:10:57 PM
Great app! Nice work on destroying everyone's productivity even more!

2012-06-11 07:17:31 PM
Assuming F.App is just too risque, would UFIApp be an acceptable substitute?

2012-06-11 07:20:57 PM
Okay, installed.

*sigh* Really? I appreciate the desire to get something official out there, but this is needlessly clunky and loaded with features nobody asked for while ignoring the features we've been asking for for years. Viewing the regular browser site on iPad is far preferable, and my settings show up there.

Okay, uninstalled. Hey! I got over it!

2012-06-11 07:26:41 PM
Drew: For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you.

Yeah. Sure.

/unsubscribe

2012-06-11 07:30:22 PM
For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you.
1.bp.blogspot.com

2012-06-11 07:38:10 PM
I would have gone with Universal Fark Information Access app.

2012-06-11 07:39:27 PM

i.imgur.com

Derp, I need the Fark App on my Samsung Ogre!

2012-06-11 07:42:19 PM
Can't wait for the Android version. I have a T-Mobile G2 and an HP Touchpad, both hacked to run ICS, and I can't wait for them to get Farked.

2012-06-11 07:43:15 PM

urban.derelict: For those of you on Android phones, we haven't forgotten you.
[1.bp.blogspot.com image 264x263]

i don't get it.....are android phones lame?

2012-06-11 07:48:52 PM

Boatmech: I was here during that and am familiar with the details.

Boatmech: Account created: 2011-11-08 06:33:31

aww......someone evidently got banned under one login, had to come back as someone else....do you need a hug?

/or, "you'll get over it"

2012-06-11 07:49:31 PM
Sweet! I just downloaded the app!

Now I just need an iPhone.

2012-06-11 07:51:50 PM

Hopefully after 3 years they realize iPad is being used a lot too

2012-06-11 07:54:35 PM
Needs moar Windows Phone and Android.

2012-06-11 07:55:40 PM

KellyX: The Stealth Hippopotamus: I guess Fark finally decided that this whole IPhone thing is going to hang around for a while

Hopefully after 3 years they realize iPad is being used a lot too

The what?!? Now you're just making things up.

2012-06-11 08:02:17 PM

rickythepenguin: Boatmech: Account created: 2011-11-08 06:33:31

Here's the sure sign that somebody is losing an argument.

2012-06-11 08:08:26 PM

9beers: Here's the sure sign that somebody is losing an argument.

no, he acted like he didn't know what i was talking about, i told him, then Captain November 2011 goes, "YEAH, DIPshiat, I WAS HERE, I SAW IT, I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED".

ok, sorry for not getting the top secret memo about your former login.

2012-06-11 08:32:14 PM
Meh.

2012-06-11 08:41:03 PM
I'm definitely setting an alert on everything and setting the sound to "Hey!" while I ride the crowded elevators at work.

2012-06-11 08:48:26 PM

rickythepenguin: 9beers: Here's the sure sign that somebody is losing an argument.

Yep, this guy isn't known for his stellar debating skills

Gotta love that grade school level reply there. Good work Sparky.

ok, sorry for not getting the top secret memo about your former login.

(Amazing how he just 'knows' I've been banned)

Well gee whiz Einstein, this is the full post you copied part of -
`
Boatmech : meg:
`
So we're stuck with the Smart/Funny buttons whether we want them or not?

To which you posted -

My advice to you? You'll get over it.

So,
A) Yep, you're a stupid fark
And
B) You're a pro at making an incorrect assumption and running with it.
And
C) Did I mention you are a STUPID Fark.

2012-06-11 08:49:41 PM
"Hey"
"Heyyyy"

Something so simple... gonna smile every time.

2012-06-11 08:50:06 PM
if you get a chance please fix your buggy Android app that refuses to open articles at random

2012-06-11 08:50:12 PM
Keeps crashing on my iPad

Meh. I just gave drew two bucks.

2012-06-11 08:52:24 PM
So.. this is just a notifier app. Interesting, but I'd like a reader designed for mobile. I'd like to write one, but as far as I know, there's no API (although i heard osmeone was working on one), but my guess is that Fark doesn't want to get screwed out of advertising revenue .. so.. *shrug*

2012-06-11 09:02:09 PM

Jon iz teh kewl: WHAT ABOUT MY TI-99/4A

Late, but I wanted to thank you for that pic. Memories...

2012-06-11 09:03:38 PM

Green lights need to happen more if this is to work.

2012-06-11 09:16:18 PM
Android.

\nao
\\f-apple

2012-06-11 09:23:22 PM
Don't forget us tablet users!

2012-06-11 09:28:45 PM

scruffynerfherder: Keeps crashing on my iPad

Meh. I just gave drew two bucks.

I'm afraid you just gave $2 to the wrong folks. Our app is linked from the headline and above, and it's free. It's the "Hey! on Fark.com" app.

2012-06-11 09:42:32 PM

2012-06-11 10:12:01 PM

As long as you're logged in, your settings should take effect. You shouldn't have to post for that to happen.

2012-06-11 10:14:34 PM

You know, if you translate that into legible English I might be able to help.

2012-06-11 10:15:33 PM

meg: scruffynerfherder: Keeps crashing on my iPad

Meh. I just gave drew two bucks.

WHAT?!?!?! I just paid $2k and gave away my anal virginity to an anonymous Nigerien prince. this wasn't part of the license agreement after all?

2012-06-11 10:19:04 PM
iPad resolution blows, nice idea for the app though, I guess... Whatever.

2012-06-11 10:19:51 PM

You know, if you translate that into legible English I might be able to help.

IF I HAD DOWNLOADED THE APP, WOULD I STILL HAVE TO BE MAKING THIS POST TO DISPLAY MORE THAN 50 COMMENTS PER PAGE?

2012-06-11 10:20:38 PM

Chinchillazilla: utsagrad123: Treygreen13: Current Resident: Treygreen13: What a wonderful name for an app.

Well, it's not as if they could have gone with "FApp".

Well they'd definitely get a lot of random people trying that one out.

I want a Navi "Hey Listen" notification

Yes. Make it happen, guys.

I want a Navi alert sound for everything. I mentioned this recently at a party and some mean person made me feel old by pointing out that the game came out 12 years ago.

\Reminds me that I have an unfinished Master Quest playthrough.

2012-06-11 10:26:50 PM

PlatinumDragon: I'm going to float a not-entirely-app-related question... what are the odds of getting some control over the font size on the mobile site under iOS? Distressingly few sites offer such capability (theglobeandmail.com being a refreshing exception), and Apple in its developers' infinite wisdom doesn't offer a configuration setting for default browser font size. Oddly, the Reader pane does offer font size control, but since it's clearly only triggered by the presence of particular tags (guess I should find out which ones exactly, out of curiosity).

If the program offered such capability, I'd download it.

My complaint is that there seems to be no way to load a larger, legible, size of images in threads on the mobile site.

2012-06-11 10:30:12 PM

No way it beats out those buttons...if they could just add 'Retarded' mmm, I love the smell of winning.

2012-06-11 10:40:13 PM

You know, if you translate that into legible English I might be able to help.

cache.gawker.com

So ESL?

2012-06-11 10:44:04 PM

jim32rr: GooberMcFly: I predict this will be as successful as Headline Voting™, FarkTV™ and the Smart! and Funny! Buttons™.

Does anyone actually want to keep the Smart/Funny buttons? Well, besides the farkers that vote for their own posts.

2012-06-11 11:07:44 PM

rickythepenguin: GooberMcFly: I predict this will be as successful as Headline Voting™, FarkTV™ and the Smart! and Funny! Buttons™.

1) be grateful you saw no content
2) you're making me nostalgic... those threads were the best gathering of fail pics and unified hatred I have seen.

2012-06-11 11:50:36 PM
This app requires iOS 4.2 :( guess I'll have to stick with kineso

2012-06-12 12:17:10 AM

Boatmech: cyber_slacker: Boatmech: cyber_slacker: If I had downloaded the app, would I still have to be making this post to display more than 50 comments per page?

You know, if you translate that into legible English I might be able to help.

[cache.gawker.com image 300x448]

So ESL?

ARE YOU HITTING ON ME?

2012-06-12 12:24:25 AM
Not 4.1 compatable. Not worth the effort of syncing my phone to a new computer with no back up on hand and having to redo my jailbreak. I'll just keep using the mobile browser. I was hoping for a Fark app. What a shame.

2012-06-12 01:12:48 AM
Nice tools, decent 1.0, but...

1) Needs font size options

2) For good and proper farking, needs tabbed browsing

Good luck on future development.

2012-06-12 01:54:20 AM
if we download the app, will it bring back Hot Buttered Asian?

2012-06-12 02:30:51 AM

Therion: if we download the app, will it bring back Hot Buttered Asian?

What does this refer to?

2012-06-12 02:54:51 AM

Msphere: Therion: if we download the app, will it bring back Hot Buttered Asian?

What does this refer to?

No such user 'Hot Buttered Asian'. Tastes like
chicken.

2012-06-12 03:00:42 AM
Why haven't you already started on the Android version? Too busy basking in the success of your half-victory? If you even spent just one minute a day on it you would be able to say that you're working on it. One minute. Can't even muster that effort? Pathetic.

Oh wait, I have an IPhone.

2012-06-12 05:20:31 AM
Yet another of the "download our special iPad app now! bullshiat offers. Fark is a website, and IOS has you covered with a web browser. Your mobile version of the site kinda sucks and when I view it in "normal" mode on my iPad it works fine,

Who thought up the idea that I might want a dedicated app for every website I visit? Someone who needs a clue, obviously - someone who needs that clue driven into their head with a large pointy hammer with the point shaped like a dildo. Several times.

Geez; where did this stupidity come from? Trying to stay relevant as technology changes? Trying to catch the Apple wave? Maybe you think that an app will make Fark "sticky" somehow and make IOS users more likely to visit? Is it that alert about new stuff? fark that; there's new stuff constantly; I don't need some brain dead app alerting me constantly.

Hey, Drew - the path to success is to make Fark the best website it can be. Forget about targeting IOS devices; they're just another way to view your site. Unless, of course, you decide to fark with them too much and chase them away. If you're really obsessed with the iPad, then for goodness sake buy one and see what your site looks like in Mobile Safari. Fix the few and tiny warts and call it good. And fire whoever sold you on the "we need an iPad app" bullshiat - they're not doing you any favors.

And those folks who play the "if you don't give Android users what you give IOS users, you're being unfair, un American, you're discriminating!" song over and over again - get over yourselves. Nobody owes you ANYTHING based upon your choice of mobile OS. If you wanted all of the IOS apps, then you should have purchased an IOS device. You bought the low priced bargain device; now live with your choice and quit bothering developers who are trying to make a living.

2012-06-12 06:09:21 AM

2012-06-12 06:29:59 AM
I'm not really an iPad user, I just have a work iPad. My main phone and tablet are both android.

I'll check back when you've implemented some more features. The mobile site works for me for now.

2012-06-12 07:30:21 AM

What about just using the farking web browser?

Jeebus Christ this "gota have a dedicated app!" developer make-work circle jerk needs to stop.

2012-06-12 07:33:13 AM

What about just using the farking web browser?

I did in fact say that in my very next post

2012-06-12 08:08:21 AM

What about just using the farking web browser?

I did in fact say that in my very next post

The fact you said "I hope you'll make a HD version" doesn't bode well for understanding the issue. There doesn't need to be ANY dedicated app: standard, HD, or otherwise.

2012-06-12 09:23:58 AM
I've had it beta. Believe me, you can't wait to puzzle your co workers with Drew's voice saying "YO" from somewhere in the room when a good story lands on Fark. Good times.....

2012-06-12 09:36:58 AM

rickythepenguin: Boatmech: I was here during that and am familiar with the details.

Boatmech: Account created: 2011-11-08 06:33:31

/or, "you'll get over it"

Oh, snap!

2012-06-12 10:02:52 AM

lohphat: smadge1: lohphat: smadge1: As an iPad user, I hope you'll make a HD version. The zoomed iphone app feels so wrong.

What about just using the farking web browser?

I did in fact say that in my very next post

Yeah whatever, you don't want an app, I understand that. If they're gonna make an ipad app, they should at least make a HD iPad compatible one. jeepers.

2012-06-12 11:28:49 AM

That, and a lot of berry's also have touchscreens now, and have better internal messaging / constant communications systems, so are actually DESIGNED for apps that do similar things to this one.

(that said, with BB 10 later this year, we'll just port the android once its available for droid. )

2012-06-12 02:11:09 PM

meg: scruffynerfherder: Keeps crashing on my iPad

Meh. I just gave drew two bucks.

Damn! Thanks!