Taliban solo albums, a note from the Applesauce Industry board, and a sweet $5.78 windfall: Fark's favorite Headlines of the Week for 6/26 - 7/2
Posted by Drew at 2011-07-05 3:48:45 PM (14 comments) | Permalink

3651 clicks; posted to Main » on 05 Jul 2011 at 4:00 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

From Unfreakable:

No update from Drew this week, enjoy the headlines.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2011-06-26 to Sat 2011-07-02:

www.fark.com  L.A. unified schools issues new policy that says that only 10% of a student's grade will be based on homework. The other 90% will be based on their skill at rejecting teacher's sexual advances    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  The head count around US nuke plants is soaring. Populations, too    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  The Taliban in Pakistan splits up, citing creative differences, planned solo albums    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  28 bus riders sink into Bolivian    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Air quality alert confuses New Jersey residents, who don't know what the words "air" and "quality" mean together    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Prince Albert denies claims his fiancée tried to run away while he was in the can    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Japanese utility shareholders vote to keep nuclear energy, despite giant wave of opposition    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Money not necessarily key to happiness, according to economists who have never had to price check ramen noodles    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Four guys rob Five Guys; turns out three of the four guys worked at Five Guys and now each need one guy to convince twelve other guys not to lock them up with 500 other guys    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Tumor undergoes surgery to have a Chavez removed from around it    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Experts say children account for 40 percent of all fireworks injuries, suggest parents remember that kids blow up so fast these days    img.fark.net

Sports:

www.fark.com  Ex-lightweight champ Juan Diaz to study law at Dartmouth. Now happy to be going from boxers to briefs    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  U.S. Open officials accused of making golf course super easy to ensure low scores, increase TV ratings. PGA spokesman denies the accusations while standing near the 77-yard par 4    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Formula 1 driver Mark Webber will be trained to fly Qantas jets. So much for "Qantas never crashes"    img.fark.net

Geek:

www.fark.com  Whales, plankton migrate across Northwest Passage, proving it has reopened. Tea, spice and silk traders said to be ecstatic    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Scientists finally finish sequencing Tasmanian devil DNA. There were no survivors    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Cinnamon may help prevent Alzheimer's, says study funded by grant from Applesauce Industry Board    img.fark.net

Entertainment:

www.fark.com  Britney Spears has a ticket-selling strategy... FOR ME TO GROUPON    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Guy behind Chicago's doomed alternative radio station offers gold record from Radiohead's "OK Computer" if you kick in to publish book about the station's history. Story does not explain what a record--or a book--is    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Arnold and Maria will each walk away from the marriage with about $200 million. After lawyers fees, that's a sweet $5.78 windfall    img.fark.net

Politics:

www.fark.com  I've got this headline, and it's farking golden. And I, I'm just not giving it up for farking nothing    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Bachmann: "President Obama fears me. He sees me as a serious, substantive competitor." Well, if that's true, clearly this Obama guy is absolutely nuts, and I can't imagine voting for him    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  President Obama will hold a rare press conference in the East Room at 11:30EDT. The East Room? Doesn't that face toward Mecca?    img.fark.net

Business:

www.fark.com  The head of the London Stock Exchange says the TMX talks are going well UP IN HERE, UP IN HERE    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Congress considering giving oversight of investment advisers to Wall Street's own self-funded regulator. In other news, the Chicken Farmers of America have just signed a new security deal with International Fox    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Googol bids Brun's constant, Meissel-Mertens constant and pi in auction for Nortel Networks. Their irrational plan to sine the deal failed as competitors converged to form union against them. Subby apologizes for going off on a tangent    img.fark.net
(view entire blog)

2011-07-05 04:07:45 PM
I can has HOTW two weeks in a row?

2011-07-05 04:07:53 PM
No update from Drew again?

No probs. He probably buying beer with all the ad revenue us -liters provide. Not that I blame him.

2011-07-05 04:11:38 PM

2011-07-05 04:38:29 PM
He be travelling.

2011-07-05 04:39:53 PM

unwad them panties, baby.

2011-07-05 04:51:00 PM

And furthermore, it's an obvious rip off of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and futhermore!

2011-07-05 04:55:32 PM
Love the "Five Guys" headline.

2011-07-05 05:10:19 PM

It's a fine reference, but it's one that should really only be reckognized for its greatness once. Giving HotW status to two such occurences really just opens the floodgates for it to become a meme, and not a very good one. It would become tiresome if every article about Groupon has a headline that ends with FOR ME TO GROUPON.

2011-07-05 05:47:03 PM

Thanks awfully.

2011-07-05 05:58:29 PM

cgraves67: ajt167: cgraves67: I don't like the fact that the "FOR ME TO GROUPON" headline made HOTW. It's clearly a copy of a HoTW from a few months ago about how social discount sites have a nice business model, FOR ME TO GROUPON. I'd find a link to it, but I'm lazy and such.

I would enjoy that, actually.

2011-07-05 06:16:03 PM

Thanks awfully.

/I believe Blagovich was heard on wiretaps stating "I've got this Senate seat to appoint, it's farking golden, and I'm not going to give it up for nothing" - Obama's vacated seat when he went for/won the presidency, and Blago's attempt to use his ability to appoint someone to that seat for political favors and/or cash.

//or you could just read some farking news once in a while...

2011-07-05 06:23:54 PM

shaft6969: dstanley: If someone doesn't have anything better to do, could they please explain the "I've got this headline"?

Thanks awfully.

//or you could just read some farking news once in a while...

Why? Fark tells me everything I need to know...about everything.

2011-07-05 11:32:20 PM

2011-07-06 08:17:31 AM

Daedalus27: Anyone have a status update on the copyright infringement lawsuit? No news is good news I guess, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

I asked Drew about it the other day and he said there wasn't an update.