An early note on next year's World Fark Party in Las Vegas, and a few of Fark's favorite Headlines of the Week for 6/19 - 6/25
Posted by Drew at 2011-06-28 2:09:12 PM, edited 2012-03-15 3:52:19 PM (241 comments) | Permalink

2036 clicks; posted to Main » on 28 Jun 2011 at 2:25 PM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Hello everyone!

Been traveling a lot lately. I probably shouldn't even start a note saying that, it'd only be news if I wasn't.

Wanted to give folks a heads up, mark out your calendars for Mar 30 - Apr 1 next year in Las Vegas for the 2nd World Fark Nascon Meetup Name To Be Determined Later. We're getting a much earlier jump on things this time. Probably going to be at Treasure Island again since they did right by us, but we're still gonna bid it out to make sure we're getting the best deal for you. We should have location locked down much sooner than we did last time.

We're also planning on leaving a lot of free time for folks to come up with their own mini-outings; this worked extremely well last time. So on that note, be thinking about a couple of things:

1) who would you like to see as guests next year?
2) what kinds of mini-outings would you be interested in hosting?

Run those around in your head and we'll revisit this in a month or so.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2011-06-19 to Sat 2011-06-25:

www.fark.com  Pope: Look at the crime of sex abuse in the face. Altar Boy: Eyes are up here    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Study: Child dies in portable pool every five days. Well, get him out of there for Christ's sake    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Obama impersonator wasn't pulled due to his material -- he just went over three-fifths of his allotted time    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Epileptic girl reunited with missing dog, seizes the moment    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  "Pilot error" blamed for north-west Russia plane crash. Also, gravity    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Kansas raises speed limit to 75mph, thus making it easier to get out of Kansas    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Saskatchewan's population reaches record high, according to guy at Statistics Canada who is now counting on both hands    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Bones given back to Labrador, who had really just wanted steak    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Fox Lake claims another victim after their boat failed to remain fair & balanced    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  From the early 1900's until 1974, Michigan sterilized over 3,000 of its citizens. Why they stopped is still unclear    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  40,000 bottles of a schizophrenia medication recalled by Johnson & Johnson & Johnson & Johnson    img.fark.net

Sports:

www.fark.com  White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen passes kidney stone. First time this season he gets three good innings of relief    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Winning her first match since her near fatal health issue, Serena Williams cries tears of joy for the first time. Big, muscular yet feminine tears of joy    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Dirk Nowitzki throws first pitch at Rangers game. Application from Lebron James denied because team was afraid the pitch would only get 3/4 of the way to the plate    img.fark.net

Geek:

www.fark.com  Ornithologists conclude birds that fly in packs, or "cluster flocking", are not more aerodynamic or efficient. Basically, it's a bunch of cluster flocking B.S.    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Australian researchers find spices can dramatically improve sex life. Best results came from Ginger, Sporty, Scary, Baby, Posh    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Lithium can prevent brain damage and has chosen touted for all the thyme purple public is non-gov non-toxic net knicker financial assets    img.fark.net

Entertainment:

www.fark.com  Angelina Jolie visits Mediterranean islands beset by refugee crisis. Your move, Jennifer Aniston    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Lindsay Lohan due in court for a "surprise probation violation hearing" for drinking. Uh, surprise for who?    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Brian Wilson biopic in the works. As a proper tribute, the movie will only be available in mono    img.fark.net

Politics:

www.fark.com  Sarah Palin quits bus tour halfw    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Gay marriage passes in NY. Finally New York is just as cool as Iowa    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Five nuclear scientists working on the Iranian nuclear program died after their plane broke in mid-air and caught fire. Report says that technical failure was ruled out, but there israelly no way to tell what happened. Mossad been an accident    img.fark.net

Business:

www.fark.com  Apple to start making TVs. Line to the world's most magical $3000, 720p set forms to the right    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Caarmaaker Saab caannot paay aautoworkers    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Facebook adds Netflix CEO to their queue, hope to have him in the mail within two days    img.fark.net
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | » | Last | Show all

2011-06-28 04:40:25 PM

Reported.

2011-06-28 04:42:09 PM

aquigley: make me some tea: jessie: E-Brake: aquigley: really, Chicago would be the logical choice for a NaSkAr Meme-orial To Be Named Later because a) central location with a couple big airports and b) he was from here and c) 50% of us are already within driving distance

I would totally second this choice. Great city.

I can drive to Chicago. I have places to stay for free in/around Chicago. I am down with this.

Obviously I'm biased about Vegas, but I don't really care where we go, I enjoy the company more than the locale.

Problem with Chicago: you don't want to hold it the second week of April here. You *might* get lucky with weather...and you might get crap.

Vegas is still Vegas. And I'm willing to bet the deals will be substantially better this year with the extra planning. GET IT BET CUZ VEGASLLOLOOOLOL sorry.

But if we move off of Vegas for any reason...Chicago.

Vegas definitely has the bigger universal draw for people, so I'm in favor of whatever brings folks in. Plus the weather is almost guaranteed to be temperate last week of March/first week of April.

2011-06-28 04:43:32 PM
Wait, new idea

We hold the party on the El Paso, TX side of the Rio Grande, but it starts on the Ciudad Juarez, Mexico side. To participate: you are given $100 US and an orange jumpsuit. You do not carry a phone or identification. Your goal is to get to the party on the other side of the border by the end of the weekend.

2011-06-28 04:44:17 PM
winner gets his ass kicked for being an illegal immigrant

2011-06-28 04:44:17 PM

Barbigazi: This location discriminates against those farkers with debilitating gambling problems.

Reported.

We stayed at the Platinum, which is a noncasino hotel walking distance from the Strip. You get an apartment with a kitchen and whirlpool bath and we paid the same as they were paying at the TI. Of course you have to consider the hangout factor, because when everyone's at the same hotel they tend to all hang out together, whereas we were a bit more isolated.

Also, while the poker tourney was fun, I'll prolly skip it this time around. I'll hang out though. :)

2011-06-28 04:48:05 PM

jessie: ffish: I maaaaaaaaaaay be able to make this.

Maybe.

Possibly.

Aww now I'm even more sad that I probably won't.

I'm gonna be in Mexico or somewhere on a cruise with the kid's marching band for Spring Break, most likely.

Eh, just bring him to the party. :)

(I'd say it's about 1-in-4 that I can make it. Soooo ... possible, but not great odds.)

2011-06-28 04:49:04 PM

I would totally second this choice. Great city.

But if we move off of Vegas for any reason...Chicago.

And April is a busy time for sports in Chicago too. But, we could schedule a big party in Chicago in September, because all Chicago sports go on hiatus in September.

2011-06-28 04:49:22 PM
The poker tourney was much fun, would play again and hopefully not have to cut out early again.

Yeah Chicago in March, hrrm. Would probably have to be first week of May like the party Nas threw last year, it was pretty nice.

What's wrong tossing it from March 30-April 1, his birthday? Wasn't it the Final Four weekend this last time around? That still seemed to work out OK.

2011-06-28 04:52:33 PM

2011-06-28 04:54:16 PM

The English Major: And April is a busy time for sports in Chicago too. But, we could schedule a big party in Chicago in September, because all Chicago sports go on hiatus in September

trying. too. hard.

2011-06-28 04:55:44 PM
Oh hell, I might try to make this one.... Time to start saving!

2011-06-28 04:58:11 PM

aquigley: trying. too. hard.

Alright, I'll give you the White Sox.

2011-06-28 04:58:17 PM
I. Will. Goddamn. Do. This.

2011-06-28 05:05:19 PM

2011-06-28 05:11:37 PM

If I had a Buk for every time someone said that...

2011-06-28 05:18:18 PM

Mordis: darkhorse23: If only we had a travel-oriented practitioner of booking large groups to help us negotiate a better rate

If I had a Buk for every time someone said that...

Heh.

2011-06-28 05:19:22 PM
i think Omaha would be a more central location for everyone.

2011-06-28 05:33:43 PM

aquigley: I just realized now what it feels like to read about all the cool kids having IRL fun and not being a part of it and I don't like it

If you need help footing the bill, you can just cover travel and crash in my room.

I promise not to creepy touch you in your sleep.

However I cannot promise that I will not let girls in to creepy touch you while you sleep.

2011-06-28 05:54:51 PM

BalugaJoe: i think Omaha would be a more central location for everyone.

We can go hang out with Warren Buffet and get investing advice.

2011-06-28 06:00:07 PM
How come this isn't going to be on the weekend of April 1st?

Either way, I will be there.

2011-06-28 06:12:42 PM

X1's Here: I certainly can...at any given time, there are music concerts going on in NOLA. There are haunted history tours, paddlewheel boat tours, cemetery tours, Irish History tours, swamp tours, airplane and helicopter rides, The Insectarium, the Audubon Zoo, cooking classes, the IMAX and the Aquarium. There is the art museum, the Ogden Museum, several Voodoo Museums and the D-Day Museum. There are mule-drawn carriage rides, the French Market, Bourbon Street, and the streetcar. There is a Harrah's casino, and there are video poker machines in every corner in almost every bar. There is fishing, boating, golfing and hunting all within close range.
The French Quarter is a 78 square block area, and is brimming with bars, awesome food, puppet shows, musical entertainment of all sorts...just plain entertainment. Strip clubs too, for those that are inclined.
Cheap food, cheap drinks, cheap entertainment. Hotels are reasonable, as well, and there are more conference centers than I can even name

Came here to say this. There's a lot more *variety* of things to do in NOLA than Vegas. By a mile. And its *much* cheaper in the end. Maybe your airfare may be more expensive (maybe not)... but the whole week or weekend will be far less expensive.

Vegas is a party and gambling city. New Orleans is a party city with a ton of other stuff also. Vegas has no soul.

2011-06-28 06:17:07 PM

E-Brake: What's wrong tossing it from March 30-April 1, his birthday? Wasn't it the Final Four weekend this last time around? That still seemed to work out OK

More on New Orleans, the final four is *in* New Orleans around this time next year. That'll add to the atmosphere.

2011-06-28 06:42:02 PM

2011-06-28 06:47:13 PM
it was hella fun this year, I met a lot of really cool people.

-The poker tournament was great, I'd love to do that again
-Kahunaville wasn't terrible but I'm pretty sure they started cranking up the volume after about an hour and a half, so somewhere else would be great (if possible)
-Highlight had to be the crawl though, we were a rolling ball of nerd-chaos that blew through some dead-as-hell places and dropped some money talked with people and moved on. I still only remember parts of that night
-I'd love to meet Wil Wheaton, seems like a cool guy, but the folks that dropped by were awesome regardless
- We should see if the venue for the 'convention' portion would bring in some larger tables for people to sit at. 4-5 people per table felt a little isolating when you had to hike across the room to talk to anyone
to do and finding hotels willing to put up with our shiat at the same time.

I don't mind the idea of doing it in a different city, but I think the last time we had a thread like this I brought up the logistics as being a problem for a lot of cities in terms of having crap to do for more than 1-2 days AND willing to put up with our bullshiat. It might be a little cheaper in chicago or boston but that doesn't mean it'll be better. I can't speak for the quality of those cities as I've never visted them.

All in all it was really fun, I don't regret spending like 4 days in vegas, even though all I did for like 3 of them was sit around and drink.

2011-06-28 06:48:30 PM

I_C_Weener: New Orleans would work fine. Same with Chicago. But Vegas was perfect. Dry weather. Lots of options. 24 hours of entertainment. I'd not been to Vegas since I was a kid. I think for a drunk fest of people who "met" on the internet, its as safe and entertaining a venue as there is. Plus Southwest flies there cheap.

I *wish* i had a southwest equivalent in canada. But, Vegas always has really good flight deals (or packages) regardless of the airline so that's another advantage of vegas as a location.

2011-06-28 07:18:20 PM
Maybe I'll try and get to know some of you beforehand instead of showing up alone and feeling like the odd-man-out in my own town.
There is a new place downtown called Insert Coins that has a lot of cool older video games and pinball, with giant screens playing kung-fu movies, and a bar. You may even see a real live hipster in their natural environment! Tons of other bars, art exhibits, Irish music, a crappy zip line, cheap drinks etc. Yeah, there are some homeless people, but the cops on bikes do a pretty good job of keeping them at bay.

Also, be very glad that you aren't in town right now: It's 106 degrees outside.

Am I still typing? See, it's that hot.

2011-06-28 07:27:07 PM

Schmoppo: Also, be very glad that you aren't in town right now: It's 106 degrees outside.

102 on da patio.

You didn't seem to be the odd man out. would of liked to have talked to you more about Spring Preserve.

2011-06-28 07:33:16 PM

Balchinian: Dublin

Let's just all drink around the world at EPCOT.

only because i want to see the drunken world fark party on the monorail. all at the same time

2011-06-28 07:34:14 PM
I have no idea what that only quoted Dublin.

I'm guessing it's because I am retarded.

2011-06-28 07:44:29 PM
The Mythbusters!!

2011-06-28 07:57:39 PM
"One of the suicide attackers told us on the phone that they are in the lobby and chasing guests into their rooms by smashing the doors of the rooms and he added that they have killed about 50 guests of this hotel," Mujahid told CNN in an e-mail.

but relax, Vegas is not Kabul. could nevar happen in amerika

OR COULD IT?

2011-06-28 08:03:15 PM

the cirque shows are excellent.

And I have to say that having all the main bars clustered in an area that smells like vomit, mold, and stale beer is one strong strike against NOLA in my mind.

2011-06-28 08:03:51 PM

whizbang: OR COULD IT?

I don't know about other people, but I'm usually armed when I stay in a hotel.

2011-06-28 08:09:22 PM

Good lord, you are a tough SOB. You're actually hanging out on the porch?
I might even release the pictures I took in April before the next party ;)

2011-06-28 08:16:04 PM

Schmoppo: EIP anytime. You can ask vegaswench, but I'm not the best at email correspondence. I will try though.
Good lord, you are a tough SOB. You're actually hanging out on the porch?
I might even release the pictures I took in April before the next party ;)

NOT THE ONE OF ME DOING THAT THING

2011-06-28 08:19:43 PM

TheReverendLei: NOT THE ONE OF ME DOING THAT THING

I'll edit out the midgets and the blow, I swear.

2011-06-28 08:36:40 PM

Schmoppo: I'll edit out the midgets and the blow, I swear.

Oh that photo was fine. I meant the other one with the other thing.

2011-06-28 09:04:40 PM

Good lord, you are a tough SOB. You're actually hanging out on the porch?
I might even release the pictures I took in April before the next party ;)

LOL. I only went out to check the temp. I'm a little too old for Coins, but usually have a beer, or two, at the Yardhouse at Red Rock before I play poker on Thursdays or Fridays at 6:30. Their craft Hefewissen is awesome. EIP if you want to meet up there sometime.

Don't you work at the Springs?

2011-06-29 10:14:33 AM

smells_like_meat: Schmoppo: smells_like_meat: would of liked to have talked to you more about Spring Preserve.

Good lord, you are a tough SOB. You're actually hanging out on the porch?
I might even release the pictures I took in April before the next party ;)

Don't you work at the Springs?

The Yardhouse is awesome, but I haven't tried their craft brews yet. Really liking Moose Drool though. We'll have to see about meeting up there, as that is clear across town from where I live. I'm in the Nellis/Charleston area. Yeah, I know, I know.
Yes, I work at the Springs, which is why I'm currently sporting 2 massive bug bites on my forehead.

2011-06-29 12:29:06 PM

Starryeyes: downstairs: Secondly, I've never actually seen a *good* show in Vegas beyond Penn and Teller once.

the cirque shows are excellent.

Never say a Cirque show, but I could see them being awesome. You have to admit though, 90% of Las Vegas shows are crap.

Also, NOLA doesn't smell as bad anymore. They've taken great strides in cleaning up the Quarter since around 2007.

2011-06-30 10:08:32 PM
I was just informed that I'm going to this party by myself. My wife is going to the islands.

wow..... just wow....