Do you have adblock enabled?

A quick note on the redesign, and some of Fark's favorite headlines from 5/22 - 5/28
Posted by Drew at 2011-05-31 5:41:21 PM (199 comments) | Permalink

8313 clicks; posted to Main » on 31 May 2011 at 5:42 PM (5 years ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Over the last week (or two if you're a TFer), you've probably noticed the option to take a look at the redesign that's going live June 1. If you haven't seen it yet, you can check it out here. Basically, we like to update the Fark periodically, make it easier to use and more intuitive. Unlike last time when we just dropped it on you, we figured we'd let you check it out in advance and get used to it, as well as give us feedback on where things were broken so that we could get them all fixed up before we pushed the final design live.

We've received a lot of feedback, so much in fact that we're still getting to the responses as we can. I wanted to say thanks for that; you've helped us fix small issues that we probably wouldn't have found in time, even searching across multiple OS and browser configurations like we were. That's appreciated. A few of us have asked if we'll be changing mobile right after this. The answer is that we don't have an overhaul planned immediately, but we'll probably continue to make small changes to make Fark look more consistent with the new design on mobile devices.

Where possible, we're doing our best to accommodate your recommendations and fold them into the design. For instance, we'll be redesigning the Keep Farking button to keep that in, although it'll just be a link until we re-do it. But it'll be there as a link so you can continue to use it.

A few of you have expressed some frustration that the music tab will be going away, and that's understandable. It's been an issue for a while, though. Whenever we have a tab, we feel the need to keep the tab filled with new links every day, and we just weren't getting enough good links to the Music tab. There were fewer submitters to the tab and so the pickings were not as good as we hoped, but we greenlit a lot anyway to keep the tab from drying up completely. We'll still have the content, but it'll just continue to be on the Showbiz tab and the Video tab (where most of the good stuff is cross-posted already).

Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks for being patient and if the design seems a bit foreign now, hopefully it won't feel too weird for too long and after a few days it'll feel normal.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2011-05-22 to Sat 2011-05-28:

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Missing model car pulled from the murky Chicago River. This is a tragedy on a 1:25th scale    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  NPR reports on the Miss Shrimp Festival, Miss Shrimp Pageant, Miss Shrimp Ceremony, Miss Shrimp Party, Miss Shrimp Gala, Miss Shrimp Carnival, Miss Shrimp Fair, Miss Shrimp Parade, Miss Shrimp Ball, Miss Shrimp Reception    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Court postpones and relocates case of obese woman after she cannot fit through court doors for trial. Lawyers and defendant all looking for a change of menu    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Armed robbery of Radio Shack yields $23.57, 3 cordless phones, 20 feet of speaker wire, a handful of BNC connectors and an undisclosed number of 9 volt batteries    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  The newest police tool for taping searches - sunglasses cameras. Guess they want to try and record any....shady behavior. YEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHH    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Grimsvotn volcano in Iceland stops spewing ash, wants to cuddle    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Horse turned away from McDonald's drive thru. Later accepted at the Deliveries door    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Semi carrying rubbing alcohol overturns; accident cleans itself up    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Man sues for $15K in damages after being injured by rose thorn. That must be some prick    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Historic Miami Herald newspaper building sold to Malaysian company, who plans to turn it into sweatshop with overworked, underpaid laborers... oh, wait    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Car carrying $1M coin collection rolls over and crashes, dumping entire load across highway -- resulting in unexpected lane change    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Sports:

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Female softball umpire accused of getting into the minors    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  New York votes to legalize mixed martial arts matches. All rules to be carefully enforced, fighters to punch in and punch out    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  NFL, Cowboys want Super Bowl seating suit tossed. Lawyers told to find a seat and wait for judge... oh, there aren't any seats available? So sorry... sucks, doesn't it?    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Geek:

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  The modern bikini introduced 65 years ago by French designer. Undoubtedly the best navel experiment of all times    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Spiders suffer from human impact, according to Rolled-Up Newspaper University    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Physicists determine that the shape of the electron is surprisingly round, and will now be known as the "Kardashian particle"    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Showbiz:

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  'Lost' actress Evangeline Lilly gives birth to a baby boy. At least somebody on that show had a defined exit strategy    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Kim Kardashian is writing a novel, presumably about Deep Space Nine    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  "Cease" is the word for Jeff Conaway    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Politics:

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Georgians continue to protest their president, seemingly unaware that Carter's been out of office for decades    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Barney Frank admits to helping his lover land a coveted position in Fannie    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Palin to embark on short bus tour this weekend    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Music:

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  And now, a Chinese bluegrass band. Oh brother, where art Chao

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Eddie Vedder releases new album in which he explores unintelligible mumbling in a whole new way    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Court refuses to reconsider Phil Spector's appeal, use of NewsFlash tag    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Business:

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Cisco sued for collaboration with Chinese internet repression, faking optolythic data rod recordings    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Costco third-quarter profit rises, proving Americans will always find a way to use five gallons of mayonnaise in a tub    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

[image from fark.com too old to be available]  Rocketdyne launches 300 employees to the unemployment line. There will be no re-entry to their workplace    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

2011-05-31 05:44:01 PM
Damn, the font is huge. You trying to cater to the deaf now?

2011-05-31 05:45:27 PM
This is an outrage.

2011-05-31 05:45:55 PM
Drew: Thanks for being patient and if the design seems a bit foreign now, hopefully it won't feel too weird for too long and after a few days it'll feel normal.

We'll get over it.

/in before the deluge

2011-05-31 05:46:09 PM

2011-05-31 05:46:13 PM
We need a Food tab.

I do like the redesign now that I've used it for a couple weeks.

2011-05-31 05:47:56 PM
I'm indifferent over it.

2011-05-31 05:48:05 PM
I was over it the first time I checked it out.

2011-05-31 05:48:13 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: We need a Food tab.

That would be awesome.

/New tagline is still REAL awful though.

2011-05-31 05:48:38 PM

2011-05-31 05:48:54 PM
I'LL GET OVER YOU
I KNOW I WILL
I'LL PRETEND MY SHIP'S NOT
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIINKING!

2011-05-31 05:49:45 PM
Yes, the step up from 10 to 14 point should definitely help my 90 year old grandmother peruse Fark. And all that gray space will be a reminder that everybody she's known all her life is dead. Including her.

2011-05-31 05:49:54 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: We need a Food tab.

Good call. The Weber thread was a lot of fun.

2011-05-31 05:50:30 PM

I Said: I promise you, even if the redesign is a pic of my handsome face with links to free blow jobs from Stacy Keibler, you will be doing nothing but fielding complaints for weeks.

There's a Free Blow Jobs from Stacy Keibler Tab?

2011-05-31 05:50:38 PM
Thanks for putting some sort of "Continue Farking" button back in.

2011-05-31 05:50:46 PM
We need a WWE Raw Tab.

2011-05-31 05:51:25 PM
Holy crap, the Food Tab thing isn't a terrible idea. I'm unsure how to handle this. Actual good suggestions. What do I do now?

2011-05-31 05:51:30 PM
Is there a color option somewhere that I missed? New Fark=very drab and deary. Looks like black and white TV

2011-05-31 05:51:34 PM
Now I get to sidescroll to see even more crap that's been crammed into the sidebar. Hooray!

2011-05-31 05:52:04 PM
No pics? fapping to a font just does not cut it.

2011-05-31 05:52:41 PM

El_Frijole_Blanco: I would like to see the SFW feed come back, I do not want the boobies links bouncing about when I Fark at work as I work for a school district

Eh? What boobies links? I haven't seen any of those since they migrated off to Foobies way back when.

2011-05-31 05:52:46 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: We need a Food tab.

geekspodcast.com

jbc [TotalFark]
2011-05-31 05:53:24 PM
We need a Tab Tab.

geekspodcast.com

2011-05-31 05:53:27 PM
checks AdBlock, yup still works, I'm good.

ZAZ [TotalFark]
2011-05-31 05:53:31 PM
I submitted one of those with a worse headline.

2011-05-31 05:53:42 PM
Weak crop this week.

jbc [TotalFark]
2011-05-31 05:54:06 PM
GD it

2011-05-31 05:54:16 PM
i.imgur.com

I LOLed.

2011-05-31 05:54:32 PM
Wow, the new redesign is fugly.

2011-05-31 05:56:03 PM

jbc: GD it

heh

2011-05-31 05:56:49 PM

I Said: We need a WWE Raw Tab.

Or at least main page listing for the next Raw Thread.

2011-05-31 05:57:27 PM
This prob requires a lot, but I'll ask anyway:

Why not make it semi-customizable? At least aesthetically (font size, background color, etc)?

2011-05-31 05:58:47 PM
I really like the redesign. I haven't gone back to old Fark since it was an option a few days ago.

THOUGH IT'S TRUE THE FONTS ARE HUGE

2011-05-31 05:58:58 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: We need a Food tab.

I do like the redesign now that I've used it for a couple weeks.

You sound fat.

/already over it...love the redesign for once

2011-05-31 05:58:59 PM
+1 for "Food" tab and a [≈Bacon≈] tag.

I like the redesign, with all the extra white space, its made browsing the regular site much easier on my phone.

2011-05-31 06:00:09 PM

HeartBurnKid: Wow, the new redesign is fugly.

Agreed. Did the guys who blackmailed Gawker into their horrid redesign get to Drew too?

2011-05-31 06:01:37 PM
Also

"It's not News it's Fark dot com"

Immediately followed by

"Real news. Real funny"

wtf?

2011-05-31 06:02:37 PM
Yeah, any word on if there will be any new tags or anything?

/still pining for a i26.photobucket.com tag

2011-05-31 06:03:58 PM

chapman: "Real news. Real funny

Someone in another thread suggested:

Totes news. Totes cray cray

That's the perfect line.

2011-05-31 06:05:13 PM
Why is there a HOTW category for a music tab that no longer exists?

2011-05-31 06:05:30 PM
I actually like it quite a bit.
Then I read the new tagline.
Then I cried a little inside.

Drew, make it a freaking contest or something. A year of free TF to someone who comes up with a better slogan. No, wait...that'd be everyone. A year of free TF to someone who comes up with the BEST of the better slogans. But please, not that :-/

Also, food tab. Please.

2011-05-31 06:08:40 PM
I can't get Fark to switch BACK to the old version after previewing the new one. Ugh.

2011-05-31 06:09:59 PM
The tagline is going to change when it goes live; this was a placeholder.

2011-05-31 06:12:25 PM

Unfreakable: The tagline is going to change when it goes live; this was a placeholder.

It should switch back when you click this

2011-05-31 06:12:50 PM
Font is TOO BIG.

Too much 'white space', too.

/over it

2011-05-31 06:13:28 PM
It took me a while to get used to the flash of pink when I clicked on links. Dumb of me, but there you are. I'm well over it now, though, and I think it's a pretty nifty new look. Very readable, easy on the eyes, good stuff.

I'd mock the new tagline's grammar, but glass houses and stones being what they are, I will refrain.

2011-05-31 06:17:43 PM

2011-05-31 06:18:20 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: We need a Food tab.

Concur.

2011-05-31 06:21:37 PM
congratulations on solving the problem of music tab repeats.

;)

2011-05-31 06:22:59 PM

It's like I'm viewing the mobile version of the website on my desktop or something. Other than that I don't really care for the drab color scheme.

2011-05-31 06:23:11 PM
I like it - I'm serslah blind & it's way easier to read. :-)

2011-05-31 06:23:37 PM

there their theyre: Damn, the font is huge. You trying to cater to the deaf now?

Meh, I think they're catering to the blind. The only dominant color is three shades of gray.

2011-05-31 06:24:56 PM
Goodbye Fark Music Tab... I hardly knew ye.

Stairway to Heaven (new window)

2011-05-31 06:25:34 PM

Deranger: Font is TOO BIG.

Too much 'white space', too.

/over it

Hey! Some of us don't have 20/20 vision & it's very helpful for us!

/so, yeah.

2011-05-31 06:26:40 PM
I like the new design.

Also - Food tab is a great idea

Considering the average Farker's age, the larger font and neutral colors are very necessary :-)

2011-05-31 06:26:43 PM
I like the new redesign, except for the Fark logo itself, I think it needs more clearly defined edges.

/haters gon' hate
//but 'baters gon' 'bate!

2011-05-31 06:26:59 PM

Gonz: Chupacabra Sandwich: We need a Food tab.

Concur.

Thirded. Or fourthed. Or fifthed.

However, like the music tab- there probably isn't enough daily content.

2011-05-31 06:27:01 PM

We had one on TF, and let the TFers come up with a bunch (Drew will pick his favorite from that bunch). Most of the ones they came up with were hilariously inappropriate for the main page, but we might use some of them on TF.

2011-05-31 06:28:04 PM

Why not have the best ones rotate?

2011-05-31 06:28:17 PM

casey17: Hey! Some of us don't have 20/20 vision & it's very helpful for us!

some of us know Cmd -/+ changes the default font size.

/you people complaining about font size are too stupid to use the internet

2011-05-31 06:28:51 PM
When I was a kid everyone always talked about how great my mom's potato salad was but I hated potato salad. I've just recently started to like potato salad and now that I revisit it, my mom's potato salad totally rocks! Too bad I never ate it growing up. I missed a lot of years of really good potato salad.

2011-05-31 06:29:56 PM
I'd sure love the old PDA site to come back. I know, I know, just wishing.

2011-05-31 06:30:04 PM

Honest Bender: I wouldn't mind it so much if you didn't keep making the content part of the page skinnier and skinnier. Did you ever consider that some of us might like a little more space?

To each their own... but I hate it when websites expand. I have a large monitor with a 1680 x 1050 resolution. I don't want a line of text expanding for 30+ words... that's hard to read. That's why newspapers and magazines have columns. Web designers just went contrarian for some reason and now its standard practice for some dumb reason.

2011-05-31 06:31:25 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: Unfreakable: InfamousBLT: I still think you should have a contest to create a new tagline, unless you have something amazing that you're hiding up your sleeve, in which case more power to you.

Why not have the best ones rotate?

Unfreakable, I believe, suggested that this may indeed happen. And everyone in the TF thread loved the idea. I'm thinking that's gonna happen.

2011-05-31 06:31:47 PM
Looks great to me. It's amusing to me how attached people get to something that they don't own and then how vehemently they complain when it's changed.

2011-05-31 06:32:08 PM
I'm with the likers here. It's much cleaner and more modern looking. Some of the fonts are quite large but they aren't that annoying, although that Submission link is farking huge (exclamation mark). I also agree on a Food tab, definitely a good replacement for the music tab.

2011-05-31 06:33:09 PM

urban.derelict: casey17: Hey! Some of us don't have 20/20 vision & it's very helpful for us!

some of us know Cmd -/+ changes the default font size.

/you people complaining about font size are too stupid to use the internet

And you're now a known jackass. Congrats!

2011-05-31 06:36:07 PM
So is Fark too mainstream now to bring back a direct link to Foobies?

2011-05-31 06:37:02 PM

Why not have the best ones rotate?

That'll happen on TF

2011-05-31 06:37:43 PM
OMFG! I was posting about the new re-design, and when I clicked submit, the website changed to the new version! It was creepy and weird! HOLD ME!!!

Anyway, it's OK and the team at Fark are awesome.

2011-05-31 06:37:49 PM

skinink: So is Fark too mainstream now to bring back a direct link to Foobies?

If I recall, that decision was made to keep fark from being on blacklists for `porn' so that routers wouldn't block it at various places of employment.

2011-05-31 06:38:03 PM
I'm over it already.

Just keep up the good work.

2011-05-31 06:41:51 PM
I took a poop in the corner of new Fark. Just to break 'er in.

2011-05-31 06:51:28 PM
I was actually probably the biggest whiner about the Music tab disappearing. I got a very nice email response the other day about it and yeah... I get it.

However might I suggest a Music TAG instead so we can filter out the music related headlines or at least be able to identify them easier in the entertainment tab?

2011-05-31 06:53:33 PM
Yes for Food Tab.

Like the font - I can read it without wearing my glasses. Design is fine.

2011-05-31 06:53:51 PM
/No offense to anyone who spent time on the resign, I'm just kind of particular.
//THE FONT WAS A BIT BIG FOR MY TASTE

2011-05-31 06:54:39 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: We need a Food tab.

I do like the redesign now that I've used it for a couple weeks.

A food and drink tab WOULD be interesting...

/ alot of FARKERS might have some great recipes...

2011-05-31 06:57:00 PM

thosejaunes: Well, like I have to do every time, I've finished updating my stylish css file to compensate for the redesign....so everything's mostly back to normal again!
//THE FONT WAS A BIT BIG FOR MY TASTE

Hey now there's no need to yell

2011-05-31 06:57:36 PM
A Food tab might be a nifty new direction to consider, aye.

2011-05-31 06:59:14 PM
Font's a size to large for my tastes, otherwise looks good to me.

i14.photobucket.com

Hmm... so there's going to be an option to share our recent activity?

2011-05-31 06:59:45 PM

Toshiro Mifune's Letter Opener: A Food tab might be a nifty new direction to consider, aye.

I think we need a Julia Roberts tab... or perhaps a Marmaduke tab.

2011-05-31 07:01:03 PM

Hmm... so there's going to be an option to share our recent activity?

There already is. Has been for ages. They just tabbed profile content a while back.

2011-05-31 07:02:21 PM

downstairs: Gonz: Chupacabra Sandwich: We need a Food tab.

Concur.

Thirded. Or fourthed. Or fifthed.

However, like the music tab- there probably isn't enough daily content.

2011-05-31 07:03:42 PM
Agreed about the new color scheme, it's pretty drab.

2011-05-31 07:04:16 PM
BuckTurgidson: I like the idea of a Food tab. But I wonder if there'd be enough diverse submissions to keep it from turning into the Food Channel tab?

I'm sure we could manage just that.

2011-05-31 07:05:09 PM
All tab? Is that gone or am I overlooking it?

2011-05-31 07:06:28 PM

/your favorite band sucks

2011-05-31 07:06:49 PM

They could make it like TFD where there doesn't need to be a link. Just describe what you are making in the headline and provide the recipe in the DIT... or ask how to make something and let Farkers do their magic.

Their greasy, pudgy fingered magic.

2011-05-31 07:06:55 PM

Poppa Boner: BuckTurgidson: Font's a size to large for my tastes, otherwise looks good to me.

Hmm... so there's going to be an option to share our recent activity?

Oh - share your approved/rejected submissions? I though it meant share your recent posting history. Duh.

2011-05-31 07:08:58 PM
So....has anyone already updated Stylish?

I'd be very happy to go ahead and set it up.

2011-05-31 07:09:52 PM
as I've said years ago.

Drew should have recipes submitted and voted on in TF, and then after enough data had been collected, publish the winning results.

give the winning subbys a few months (year) worth of TF for free, while Drew rakes in the profits from the "Fark Cookbook".

and then release newer additions. 2012. 2013. holiday editions. home-brewing.

TF'ers have access to all submissions (a selling point of TF).

but the best, as voted by Tf'ers (another perk of being a TFer) make the book.

all submissions become property of Fark (well, and of Cracked.com).

but what do I know.

I'll go back to calling out repeats.

2011-05-31 07:10:47 PM

/your favorite band sucks

I'm going more on the logic of not wanting to sift through tons of headlines about which starlet is allowing which athlete to defile her crotch flower.

2011-05-31 07:11:25 PM
Nevermind, found one.

Hopefully, I can figure out how to get rid of some of the whitespace and make the font smaller.

2011-05-31 07:11:51 PM

BuckTurgidson: I though it meant share your recent posting history.

That would be stalkerific.

2011-05-31 07:14:53 PM

2011-05-31 07:16:34 PM

Poppa Boner: Thelyphthoric: My irritation with the music tab being eaten by the showbiz tab is that REAL music has absolutely nothing to do with showbiz.

/your favorite band sucks

2011-05-31 07:19:03 PM

If Pepsi can change its look and slogan every so often, then doggone it, so can *we.*

2011-05-31 07:19:37 PM

Thelyphthoric: Your logic is more practical - it will be a painful transition for the few of us who visit the musical wasteland. I like the idea of a "music" tag to help filter, but the strange randomness of the tags I've seen thus far has me doubting their usefulness.

When it gets rolled out just make sure all the music dorks know that's our bat signal.

2011-05-31 07:22:05 PM

PEOPLE, PEOPLE!

img.photobucket.com

Even with the crowded bigger font that leaves more white space then a piece of paper and no more color-coded tabs!

/will not get over it
//took me a while in 2007
///at least back then they kept the font reasonable
////enjoy the fugly threads!

2011-05-31 07:22:49 PM

Toshiro Mifune's Letter Opener: raygundan: So... it's not horrible or anything, but why redesign a popular site in the first place?

Pepsi made their new logo look like Obama's campaign.

Is that what Fark is trying to do?

2011-05-31 07:30:14 PM
Food tab would end up being a wasteland like the music tab.

2011-05-31 07:36:12 PM
img.fark.net

You forgot to put this immediately under the gray comment frame. The stupid text link version gets lost in the other stuff and is too far away.

2011-05-31 07:36:17 PM

DanZero:
/will not get over it
//took me a while in 2007

i76.photobucket.com

2011-05-31 07:39:16 PM
Kinda funny that a site originally used to post curry recipes has its users calling out for more recipes

2011-05-31 07:40:31 PM
Handsome B. Wonderful: Food tab would end up being a wasteland like the music tab.

Only if it gets winning headline material like "Steaks suck and they're overrated, so here's an overrated recipe that sucks."

DanZero: Is that what Fark is trying to do?

I think Fark is going to succeed where General Mills failed by having the site mascots be not one, not two, but ALL THREE of the Cinnamon Toast Crunch chefs.

2011-05-31 07:40:54 PM

2011-05-31 07:42:40 PM
OK this just went live for me and it's damn horrible.

2011-05-31 07:45:56 PM

ThisNameSux: OK this just went live for me and it's damn horrible.

Nobody cares what you think.

2011-05-31 07:46:23 PM
Quote 2011-05-31 07:36:12 PM
img.fark.net

You forgot to put this immediately under the gray comment frame.

Please do this.

2011-05-31 07:46:57 PM

Poppa Boner: ThisNameSux: OK this just went live for me and it's damn horrible.

Nobody cares what you think.

QFT

2011-05-31 07:49:48 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: QFT

*high five*

2011-05-31 07:50:20 PM

/your favorite band sucks

many of my favorite band(s) you sir, have likely never heard, and they mostly don't suck.
But you are right about the glittery/showbizy/gossipy 3-albums-in-the-top-ten-from-the-flippin-glee-cast passing for music these days.

2011-05-31 07:54:25 PM
I'm over it. Greasemonkey is lord.

i.imgur.com

2011-05-31 07:55:53 PM

Hey... I got an idea...

2011-05-31 07:56:31 PM
nicoffeine: The music tab was really nothing more than a "who's birthday" "this day in history" tab.

The Willard Scott tab, in other words?

2011-05-31 07:57:05 PM
I said the text is huge. I SAID THE TEXT IS HUGE!

2011-05-31 08:00:40 PM
i158.photobucket.com

Theres too much whitespace in that horizontal bar. Either make the marker taller or make the bar shorter.

2011-05-31 08:01:55 PM

Poppa Boner: ThisNameSux: OK this just went live for me and it's damn horrible.

Nobody cares what you think.

You took the time to respond so apparently you do care, moron.

2011-05-31 08:02:23 PM

Toshiro Mifune's Letter Opener:

2011-05-31 08:03:26 PM

ThisNameSux: You took the time to respond so apparently you do care, moron.

Any attention is good attention, eh?

Sad little man.

2011-05-31 08:06:01 PM

Benucio: DanZero:
/will not get over it
//took me a while in 2007

Wow, that was 4 years ago? I could have sworn that was last year.

/times a-flying

2011-05-31 08:08:31 PM
The redesign looks fine but I think it's a bit less intuitive than the old.

2011-05-31 08:10:33 PM

Poppa Boner: Sad little man.

You certainly are.

i37.tinypic.com

2011-05-31 08:10:49 PM
Just gets worse and worse. HIRE A GRAPHIC DESIGNER. jesus.

2011-05-31 08:13:11 PM
Didn't someone mention a threaded comments option so it's easier to ignore trolls?

2011-05-31 08:14:55 PM
New redesign idea: a rimshot button on Pocket Ninja's posts.

2011-05-31 08:15:21 PM

Phil Moskowitz: Just gets worse and worse. HIRE A GRAPHIC DESIGNER. jesus.

Watch out man or Poppa Boner is going to yell at you.

2011-05-31 08:17:18 PM

ThisNameSux: Watch out man or Poppa Boner is going to yell at you.

You're just all excited that someone doesn't have you on ignore.

2011-05-31 08:17:59 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, in that I have no complaints about the redesign. The scrolling issues I was having had nothing to do with this site, and I fixed them.....so there's not even that anymore. I would ask that the font be a bit smaller, because I'm not 80-something and need to see 50pt font quite yet.

2011-05-31 08:22:15 PM

Poppa Boner: You're just all excited that someone doesn't have you on ignore.

2011-05-31 08:23:40 PM

Poppa Boner: ThisNameSux: Watch out man or Poppa Boner is going to yell at you.

You're just all excited that someone doesn't have you on ignore.

2011-05-31 08:24:17 PM

ThisNameSux: I think you should add me to yours. You seem like the really cool kind of internet guy who rocks an ignore list.

Nope. Not a single person on my ignore list.

I just like trolling the trolls.

I win.

2011-05-31 08:26:12 PM
DanZero: Are you trying to tell me that the other 2 are still alive? HERESAY! Wendell survived the tragic plain crash in the mid 90s!!!!! Fark is using super-accurate baker-facsimiles!

I'm saying that General Mills may or may not have a clone farm.

That's all I may or may not be saying.

2011-05-31 08:26:45 PM

Chupacabra Sandwich: You know, I WANT to put him on ignore, but watching him get curb-stomped by WoodyHayes in every college football thread is just way too much fun.

2011-05-31 08:34:24 PM

some of us know Cmd -/+ changes the default font size.

/you people complaining about font size are too stupid to use the internet

It's mostly that changing font sizes for one website is a pita when you like the font size you have for other websites. not fun having to do it every time you go to another window/tab

that said, it won't take more than a few hours till it's greasemonkey'd to something i'm happy with

2011-05-31 08:35:15 PM

ThisNameSux: It wouldn't even be funny if I was who he thinks I am. He's just a troubled little boy who thinks that everybody who laughs at Ohio State is a Michigan fan. Speaking of funny, nice profile pic.

Location: Farmington Hills

Yeah, I'm sure you're totally neutral.

Maybe you're a leader o trolla alt instead...

hmmm...

2011-05-31 08:36:08 PM
Second thought: The current demographic may dictate font size.

/dictate

2011-05-31 08:50:03 PM
The tabs no longer look like tabs, you know. Nooblets are going to be so confused.

2011-05-31 08:58:18 PM
I like the new layout. Why? Why NOT?

2011-05-31 09:09:18 PM

snuff3r: Benucio: DanZero:
/will not get over it
//took me a while in 2007

Wow, that was 4 years ago? I could have sworn that was last year.

/times a-flying

Crazy, ain't it? I had to check my own profile to see how long I've been here.

/times a-flying indeed

2011-05-31 09:16:23 PM
I think you're handling the redesign well. Just wish I didn't have to login so often.

2011-05-31 09:22:06 PM
I think I'll get used to this in a few days. It's already not bothering me as much as it did when I first saw it. Speaking of redesigns, awesome job on the mobile site. The only thing I'd like to see added is the number of new comments to a thread since my last visit.

2011-05-31 09:23:41 PM

Watch out man or Poppa Boner is going to yell at you.

Hey, some of us pay $5 a month for that privilege.

2011-05-31 09:33:49 PM

Cyno01: Hey, some of us pay $5 a month for that privilege.

I wouldn't say I yell so much as ramble incoherently at outside voice decibels.

And yes... I am pretty much the main reason Total Fark is worth the five bucks.

Thanks for noticing.

PONY UP YOU CHEAP C*NTS!!!!

2011-05-31 09:59:11 PM

Drew is probably just getting old.

2011-05-31 10:28:44 PM
To everyone complaining about the font size

How hard is it to hit Ctrl and - a few times? Not like I ever had to Increase the font size of a web page before...you'll get used to it.

I'm not sure I like the color scheme, it's rather....staid. It may give a newbie the totally wrong idea of what FARK is about. I miss the chiclet colors of the tabs, it gave the site a rather festive air.

I know I don't care for the enlargement of the advertisements on the right side of the page, but I know you gotta make a buck, so I guess I'll get over it.

That's it in a nutshell, "you'll get used to it". The uproar is much less than the last site re-design.

2011-05-31 10:34:47 PM

Momzilla59: To everyone complaining about the font size

They'll get over it.

2011-05-31 10:40:46 PM

Momzilla59: To everyone complaining about the font size

2011-05-31 10:42:08 PM
Good idea with the preview. Looks good. Now I'm ready for it and won't have the instant negative reaction to having my entire world turned upside down out of nowhere.

Thanks Drew.

2011-05-31 10:45:57 PM
Well I do actually understand the font size thing. I mean most of you are old and genetically inferior...

and fat... so very very fat.

2011-05-31 10:50:27 PM
The continuation of table-based layout is brought to you by lousy design and Jose Cuervo™!

Jose Cuervo™:
When your website isn't grey enough!

2011-05-31 10:53:56 PM
I like how it says "welcome!" at the top. I feel so welcome now. I never did before.

It's almost my birthday too--I'm going to get the birthday message!!

2011-05-31 11:10:40 PM
I like the redesign, none of the fonts seem too huge at all. Nice for scanning, which is most of what I do anyway. The SUBMIT A LINK is sort of huge but I understand that. The tabs do look less like tabs though. Also THANK MERCIFUL FARK the TWO side columns are now just one. I guess one is acceptable.

2011-05-31 11:12:10 PM
I WANT TO LEARN MORE DAMNIT!

img.fark.net

This geocities circa 1998?

2011-05-31 11:17:32 PM
I'm still hung over from the weekend after puking up Helvetica and Arial all morning but the new site looks great!

2011-05-31 11:20:58 PM
Can I say fark yet?

2011-05-31 11:21:38 PM

DriftingJesus: Can I say fark yet?

guess not...

2011-05-31 11:22:58 PM
like the new design and layout, especially the sidebar --->
nice work guys.
/and I like the idea of food and music tags

2011-05-31 11:23:26 PM

Cyno01: ThisNameSux: Phil Moskowitz: Just gets worse and worse. HIRE A GRAPHIC DESIGNER. jesus.

Watch out man or Poppa Boner is going to yell at you.

Hey, some of us pay $5 a month for that privilege.

HAHA

2011-05-31 11:25:33 PM
In the profiles, please combine 'public' and 'recent'. Kthxbai

2011-05-31 11:29:42 PM

DriftingJesus: DriftingJesus: Can I say fark yet?

guess not...

It's a bit chilly in here.

2011-05-31 11:30:12 PM
I don't thing the FARK logo is blockier enough. Please square off those corners some more.

2011-05-31 11:32:46 PM
Just wanted to show some love for the food tag. Also to point out that I never knew about the ctrl -/+ thing, so thanks to whoever pointed that out first.

2011-05-31 11:37:08 PM

BuckTurgidson: YES WE KNOW WE CAN ADJUST THE FONT SIZE MANUALLY EVERY TIME WE VISIT FARK, BUT IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE FONT WERE THE RIGHT SIZE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

You'll get over it. Really, you will.

2011-06-01 12:19:30 AM
Looks like some janky Drupal template

2011-06-01 12:19:43 AM

AntiNorm: You'll get over it. Really, you will.

#     #  #######  #     #     #     ######    ###
##    #  #        #     #    # #    #     #   ###
# #   #  #        #     #   #   #   #     #   ###
#  #  #  #####    #     #  #     #  ######     #
#   # #  #         #   #   #######  #   #
#    ##  #          # #    #     #  #    #    ###
#     #  #######     #     #     #  #     #   ###

2011-06-01 12:20:08 AM
The spacing or kerning or something just doesn't look right with the font.

2011-06-01 12:29:29 AM
Small, thin, white text makes me ill.

Small, thin, light blue text on a medium grey background, ditto.

2011-06-01 12:35:23 AM
They should have redesigned the site with a different font, you say?

2011-06-01 01:05:39 AM

AntiNorm: They should have redesigned the site with a different font, you say?

I wish i could hate you harder than i am right now.

2011-06-01 01:13:23 AM
Jeff?

2011-06-01 01:21:44 AM
*shrugs*

Since I've got everything customized anyway, I'm not seeing much of a difference, though it might look less cluttered. Thanks, Drew, Mike, et al. :)

img696.imageshack.us

2011-06-01 01:31:30 AM

whidbey: *shrugs*

Holy shiat, I would go all Elvis on my monitor if FARK looked like that!

2011-06-01 01:34:59 AM

ThisNameSux: You should bring Jeff back as a mod for one day so he can flip out on everybody and get fired again.

For some reason that made me lol irl.

2011-06-01 01:58:12 AM
Designed by Gandalf Greymeh. A food tab? But no music. You sound ... never mind, no sound.

no colour

Now, watch this drive. Ow my balls. Cheezburger. Libtard.

2011-06-01 01:58:56 AM

whidbey: :)

You would LUV my myspace page.

2011-06-01 02:07:57 AM
I don't care about the layout, I'm willing to look in different places for things.

The problem I have is that when I find them they are ugly. Currently these ugly things include every single letter of the alphabet that is displayed upon this website.

Whatever, the font the terrible. I'll get used to it or fix it myself, right?

2011-06-01 03:07:42 AM
Just go to reddit.com

2011-06-01 03:41:20 AM

chapman: Also

"It's not News it's Fark dot com"

Immediately followed by

"Real news. Real funny"

wtf?

yeah, It's not news, don't try to call it news.

2011-06-01 03:49:08 AM
FONT IS TOO BIG

And there's not enough Fark Blue™ (a.k.a. too much grey)

2011-06-01 09:27:33 AM
Would you not just shell out a few thousand $ and get a designer to design it for you?

It's not an attractive design, it's ugly, it looks old-fashioned, it's built using tables.

I'd feel safe betting that the person who 'designed' that has no formal design training.

Google 'ransom note effect' and then go hire a designer.

2011-06-01 10:28:20 AM
One word to describe the redesign:

DRAB

It looks like color wasn't in the budget or something.

2011-06-01 10:52:22 AM
I was fine with this yesterday when it was sunny and bright outside. Today it is dark, overcast and rainy. I came into work today and opened up Fark per the norm and was accosted by some bleak Seattle looking page. I had to click the get over it later option before I started cutting myself in the bathroom.

2011-06-01 10:56:10 AM
Damn you Jeff! I just got over the last one!

2011-06-01 11:09:52 AM
Hey, I was taking a closer look at your wonderful 'world map' backround and coundn't help noticing that you might want to update it... the polar ice caps are a whole lot smaller now. And Zaire is now called the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Just want to keep up with the 20th century goings-on you know.

2011-06-01 11:31:11 AM

Poppa Boner: I think we need a Julia Roberts tab... or perhaps a Marmaduke tab.

How about a Marmaduke mounting Julia Roberts while she is eating a cheeseburger tab?

2011-06-01 11:44:49 AM
as i tweak greasemonkey more and more on this layout.. the thing that i keep getting from it is that it's just... grey.

as much as i had to have the rainbow tabs grow on me, now they and the gradient top from the tab down just added a little "color" to the site.

the header on the new layout is just this ugly dark grey that i can change with greasemonkey, but your header picture is a static grey JPG. I don't feel like putting a box around the logo just to be able to brighten the top....

2011-06-01 12:53:07 PM
"It's not news, it's FARK."
"Real news. Real funny."

I think somebody should sack the copywriter.

2011-06-01 01:20:17 PM

Handsome Jack Manitoba: "It's not news, it's FARK."
"Real news. Real funny."

I think somebody should sack the copywriter.

I lol'd

2011-06-01 01:21:44 PM

2011-06-01 01:39:44 PM

AllYourFarkAreBelongToMe: Why stop with the redesign? Why not go all the way and transfer the whole site to a new domain? ButButButButBush.com is available.

but .org is not.

2011-06-01 02:08:39 PM
Is it me or did none of the music links get merged into the showbiz tab on the redesign.. All those music links pre-redesign are lost forever?

2011-06-01 02:27:59 PM

AnubisMan: One recommendation I can add is you make the Get Over it Later option a permanent feature, that would totally kick ass.

I don't think that would permanently stay on the front page, but it could be an option in our profiles. just set it to the "It's still real to me, damnit!" theme, and voila!

Oh, and I'd been using Cthulhon's Fark Reskin with Stylish, and I never really did get over the first redesign...

img151.imageshack.us

Today's redesign didn't kill it either, just needs a bit of tweaking...

img543.imageshack.us

2011-06-01 03:42:50 PM

I agree, although I submitted this via Farkback and was told they don't get enough traffic on that page to justify generating it. I am supposed to block NSFW at work, then change my setting every night when I get home. Lame.

Also, if you can't get over it, I created a new Stylish CSS edit (new window). There are before/after screenshots.

2011-06-01 05:37:24 PM
Why do people think changing the design is a good idea?

2011-06-01 07:18:26 PM
I don't mind the size of the font, but rather the font itself. Arial Narrow, or something? Sucks.

2011-06-01 07:56:28 PM
Bland, blah, boring. Too corporate looking. No style, no character. Depressing, like a permanent cloudy day. Needs color desparately. Layout and fonts are fine.

2011-06-02 08:16:02 AM
Dang. I was hoping the "KY Pastor" might make the cut this week.

2011-06-02 12:41:12 PM
I've taken dumps with better coloring.

I like the fonts, but who is selecting your color scheme? A soviet architect pining for the old days?

2011-06-02 02:55:57 PM