Final words on Nas-Con 2011 in Vegas, and a few of Fark's favorite Headlines of the Week for 3/27 - 4/2
Posted by Drew at 2011-04-05 3:02:20 PM (334 comments) | Permalink

3546 clicks; posted to Main » on 05 Apr 2011 at 3:51 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

We had our first big World Fark Party last weekend. My expectations were definitely above average, but what actually ended up happening blew away the best possible outcome for the weekend. A ton of people, lots of friends connecting, laughter, and enough alcohol to fill Lake Mead.

For those of you who weren't able to make it: first, I hope you can make it next year because we had a kickass time. Second, Naskar's parents and his brother Cam were thrilled and honored to be a part of the festivities, and they let everybody know that they're working with us to set up a community foundation in his name. More details on that later when we have them.

Some thanks need to go out to those who agreed to come hang out with us, most notably our special guests: Bill Corbett of MST3K and Rifftrax, and Paul and Storm, who tore the roof off the sucker. I think I heard the same thing from at least a couple dozen people: "Man, I'd heard their stuff before but I had no idea how good it was in person." Also to Alex with Neatorama, who hosts our Fark Shop provided a lot of free schwag for us and was kind enough to help us get the shirts printed. The Nas-Con shirts will be available in a few days for those of you who wanted them but weren't able to get them on Saturday or Sunday. The staff at Treasure Island in Las Vegas was excellent and treated us right. Especially the five guys at the craps table friday and saturday night after midnight. I woke up both nights hung over with a full wallet AND my butt wasn't bleeding - a Vegas win if there ever was one.

A lot of members of Fark took the lead in helping us get this off the ground and arranging some events. Thanks to Witchydiva for organizing the Vegas Strip Pub Crawl, to smells_like_meat for setting up and managing the Poker Tournament, to aquigley for being our emcee at the Saturday event. Thanks also go out to Yzziefrog for helping with the shirt designs, to E-Brake for offering to help with shirts and setting up the Sunday brunch, and to cyberchp for volunteering to man the sales table. Also thanks to punkrockgirl and Unfreakable for setting up and managing the event.

To everybody who took time out of their schedule and spent their hard-earned money to get here, I hope you had a blast. Everyone I talked to sure as hell did. You all made this party what it was, because you all make this community what it is. I can't say that in any other way without sounding like I'm just spouting sentimental BS, but every word of it is true.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2011-03-27 to Sat 2011-04-02:

www.fark.com  Indian Navy continues its impressive Cinderella run with another impressive victory over the pirates, including a double-double by its leading scorer with 16 pirates captured and 16 hostages freed    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  VW adds a classic Beetle feature to the Jetta. If you use your horn, the engine shuts off    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Statistics show Scottish wife battering increases dramatically during soccer matches. Those savages will eat anything    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Pro Gay Wrestling Federation not happy that WWE announcer tweeted gay slur and was not punished. In other news, Pro Gay Wrestling Federation and WWE not the same organization    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  April Fools' Day is good for your heart, according to doctors who never woke up to the sight of a giant fake spider    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Ivory Coast rebels now control 99 44/100% of the country    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Residents angry after town's broken clock left unfixed. Wild-haired scientist and teenager who only responds to the name 'chicken' sought for questioning    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Airline flight is diverted after passengers and some of the crew began feeling sick. Why do people keep ordering the fish?    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  95 year-old World War II Veteran will get his U.S. Citizenship, Boston Celtics contract    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Bicyclists dream of bike path to ocean. Drivers dream of even longer bike path    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Treki defects from Libyan government, Ceti Alpha V    img.fark.net

Sports:

www.fark.com  Milwaukee Brewers get new high definition video scoreboard. Zeroes and K's now much easier to see    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Chad Pennington tears his ACL. Man, I hope that doesn't affect his ability to throw the football deep    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Cinderella is murdered. The Butler did it    img.fark.net

Geek:

www.fark.com  FD&C Yellow #6 linked with child hyperactivity. Good thing sugary snacks are never brightly colored    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  NASA releases first image ever taken from orbit of Mercury. Scores about 0.86 on the Lohan Scale of Rugged-Looking    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  IPod and other small devices to be powered by human heart instead of batteries. Subby's ex will still need to use a battery    img.fark.net

Showbiz:

www.fark.com  Roger Abbot dead. Jessica inconsolable    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Adam Sandler's latest film is his 12th to gross over $100 million at the box office. It's looking more and more like the Mayans were right    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Lady Gaga to be fashion consultant for V magazine. For all five of you who wear suits made of Muppet fur, this will be a glorious day    img.fark.net

Politics:

www.fark.com  Obama says Libya won't be another Iraq. By which we assume he means it won't be another Afghanistan. Meaning it won't be another Vietnam. Or another Korea. Or    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Is Growing Internet Use Polarizing Political Views? The answer is yes, you smug, sneering, empty-suit commie fascist    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  A collection of pictures details Canadian PM Stephen Harper's ongoing efforts to convince the world that he really is a human being    img.fark.net

Music:

www.fark.com  Miley Cyrus slams Rebecca Black for exposing her proprietary hit-making formula: money, entitlement, auto-tune    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Yanni fires back at his critics. His critics fall asleep midway through reading it    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Minimalist composer Philip Glass + hiphop mashup is better than you'd expect, better than you'd expect, better than you'd expect    img.fark.net

Business:

www.fark.com  Interesting fact: Apple is worth more than the entire GDP of Portugal. Which tomorrow might be $3.89    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Pepsi to meet diet cola drinkers halfway with new 60-calorie beverage called Pepsi Stop Your Damn Whining    img.fark.net

www.fark.com  Russian car maker introduces the Yo-auto hybrid. Company expects big sales from its debut model The Adrian    img.fark.net
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | » | Last | Show all

2011-04-05 07:32:27 PM

make me some tea: Third In Line: rodeofrog: Kahunaville sucks.

Except for the Hawaiian Sliders. OMNOMNOM

The food was pretty much great. But yeah it was a bit too fratty. We were saying Nasser would've loved it. :)

With the performing bartenders and all? Yeah.

2011-04-05 07:38:12 PM
Hmmm. NikkiPoo just posted - she has pneumonia.

2011-04-05 07:47:19 PM

Third In Line: Hmmm. NikkiPoo just posted - she has pneumonia.

That sucks. A lot of people seem to have come down with something. Not me though. I think my Canadian germs killed anything that tried to infect me.

2011-04-05 07:48:59 PM

You farkers rock.

2011-04-05 07:52:20 PM

But you all seemed like lovely people.

I think.

2011-04-05 07:53:50 PM

Adjective Bird Whiskey: aquigley: It ruled. Can't wait to see how we'll top it next year.

official Vegas confession thread time

I stole a towel

That stripper had my erection between her buttcheeks.

Who didn't?

2011-04-05 07:58:52 PM

eyehate: I don't think I actually got to talk to a single person. There was a lot of nodding and trying to yell over the blasting music.

But you all seemed like lovely people.

I think.

I missed meeting you. And griffer? Someone said he was there.

2011-04-05 08:01:17 PM

azbubba: I was told by at least two people that my room was bigger and better than theirs.

Did you organize tours or what?

2011-04-05 08:08:14 PM
Witchydiva:

Thank you for buying my wife the lap dance.

Oh, we saw a segment of COPS being filmed, twice.

2011-04-05 08:09:03 PM

Pope Larry II: Thank you for buying my wife the lap dance.

Oh, we saw a segment of COPS being filmed, twice.

that show's still on?

2011-04-05 08:10:57 PM

aquigley: smells_like_meat: No loners with laptops

I don't think I saw a single laptop the entire time, save for the one used during the convention. THAT did surprise me, in a positive way.

On the plus side, my hangover has finally subsided.

2011-04-05 08:14:32 PM

2011-04-05 08:15:44 PM
KoalaFace: On the plus side, my hangover has finally subsided.

Yet I'm sure your hatred for me remains unabated. However, after meeting you in person, I'm OK with that. ;)

2011-04-05 08:20:13 PM

Third In Line: KoalaFace: nah, I saw aphexcoil fully clothed by the pool with his laptop. A true farker. And I watched Archer on Mike's ipad...

daRog: KoalaFace: On the plus side, my hangover has finally subsided.

heh, you'll always be my favorite farker to hate. dammitsomuch darog!

2011-04-05 08:24:53 PM
It was my first time in Vegas and I had a blast. I think my week-end was made when we walked through Harrah's and saw 5 guys in chicken suits drinking beer at the bar.

The strip was great but Fremont Street was also a blast and a lot cheaper to drink and eat. Mind you, we were at the expensive end of the strip, so that did not help. That, and the cab rides really killed us but it was totally worth it.

It was great to meet everybody, that was the most fun I've had in a long time.

2011-04-05 08:25:51 PM
I banged so many ladies this past weekend. How fun Vegas is. Sorry I was too drunk to find the Fark party, although I might have stumbled by at one time or another.

2011-04-05 08:33:50 PM

KoalaFace: it's on my FB...I thought I showed you in breeze bar. Or did you just block the memory because it was so terrifying?

2011-04-05 09:20:39 PM
I see that the ugly filters are on, no pictures of the event.

2011-04-05 09:33:08 PM

pippi longstocking: I see that the ugly filters are on, no pictures of the event.

They're all on FB?

And WHO YOU CALLIN UGLY?!

2011-04-05 09:37:31 PM
Great to see all of you. I actually just got home.

5 nights in Vegas is too much.

2011-04-05 09:57:56 PM

jessie: Cthulhu Theory: Mike: Cthulhu Theory: I'm not good at the "random-social-interaction-with-large-groups-of-strangers" thing.

If I can pretend to be an extrovert for 4 days, anyone can. Liquid courage helps...

Liquid courage doesn't make me an extrovert, though it does help me relax that driving need I have to be accepted by those I interact with. Chances are I'll show up have some drinks and sit around playing my PSP because I don't know how to strike up a conversation. Then you guys will think I'm a total retard and accuse me of being some sort of liberal teabagger bush supporting Clinton lover with a penchant for Ke$ha music and buggery who believes the world is flat and actually knows what a Bieber is.

That sounds fun actually...

You don't have to strike up conversation. I don't think anyone there knew how to STFU. I mean that in a good way.

Sounds like all should bode well for me then! Huzzah!

/Yes, I just "huzzahed" wannafightaboutit?

2011-04-05 09:58:50 PM

Witchydiva: I'm up for figuring or a better bar crawl next year. If I can get a rough count ahead of time, maybe I can arrange for some reduced prices, especially if we start early (before the bars get still, like this year).

You farkers rock.

Thanks for organizing that. It was a lot of fun. Smells' Poker Tourney was awesome, too.

My ears are still ringing from Friday night (blah, Kahunaville), but Saturday night was AWESOME.

2011-04-05 10:05:11 PM

Yzziefrog: Did you organize tours or what?

No, but since I was one of the people that had a car I had people over as a stop while running around for meals or whatever.

Third In Line: Also by the pool, Speedo Guy. Why haven't I seen THAT pic yet? On second thought - Yay, I haven't seen that pic yet.

SHUT. UP. Once was ENOUGH.

2011-04-05 10:10:33 PM

azbubba: Yzziefrog: Did you organize tours or what?

SHUT. UP. Once was ENOUGH.

heehee

You DID have a damn decent room, bub!

2011-04-05 10:20:47 PM

CraicBaby: I thought it was funny how many people assumed I was a dude until they met me in person. Even Unfreakable looked at my name tag and went "CraicBaby? I thought you were a guy!"

That's why BIE

2011-04-05 11:15:40 PM
pics or it didn't happen

2011-04-06 02:31:13 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! I had a blast, and it was a true pleasure to meet all of you!!

2011-04-06 09:23:37 AM

KoalaFace: heh, you'll always be my favorite farker to hate. dammitsomuch darog!

I'm drunk. Take me to my room.

2011-04-06 03:31:24 PM
poker poker poker

2011-04-06 03:54:53 PM

Mike: Someone I was talking to said "ya know, I really hate the overuse of the word 'Epic', but for this, it fits". And it does. :)

/team fake extrovert

That quote would be one of mine.

2011-04-06 05:12:19 PM
I see WAY too many waters at that final table.

2011-04-06 07:16:44 PM

AmazinTim: I see WAY too many waters at that final table.

Actual money was on the line.

2011-04-06 07:19:22 PM

Witchydiva: AmazinTim: I see WAY too many waters at that final table.

Actual money was on the line.

Indeed. I had a BLT sandwich and a coke at the table... Also, I beat witchydiva by 1 position. CHIP AND A CHAIR!

2011-04-06 07:57:35 PM

Rhino_man: Witchydiva: AmazinTim: I see WAY too many waters at that final table.

Actual money was on the line.

Keep rubbing it in, man. Keep rubbing it in.

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | » | Last | Show all