Jon Stewart to Reddit: you don't matter
Posted by Drew at 2010-11-01 2:41:26 PM, edited 2010-11-01 4:13:48 PM (5884 comments) | Permalink

55372 clicks; posted to Main » on 01 Nov 2010 at 5:11 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Backstory: Reddit has been pushing support for the Stewart/Colbert rally since its inception, possibly since before its inception.

At the Rally For Sanity press conference on Saturday, Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit, asked Stewart and Colbert a question: what role did the Internet play in convincing you to hold this rally? The response: "it didn't hurt."

Question at around 1:40
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-and-stephen-colbert-hold-post-rally-to- re store-sanity-press-conference/

Did you hear that Reddit? All that work you put into getting the word out, organizing meetups, and convincing people to go "didn't hurt". All that initial support in getting the ball rolling on this rally a few months back was great, but it wasn't a factor. Thanks for your meaningless and futile support that Comedy Central really didn't need at the end of the day to get a surprise crowd of 250,000 people to the rally. Did you hear that Internet? You had no role in this either, it was all Comedy Central all the way.

Colbert doesn't get a pass on this either, his "thanks Reddit for raising half a million dollars for our charity but it didn't affect attendence one way or the other" comment is a backhanded compliment at best.

And to say this all live, in a press conference, to the co-founder of a community of millions that did everything in its power to get the word out past its own readers to the greater internet, that is flat out disrespectful and wrong. Alexis is a friend of mine, and he's a super nice guy. He would never dream of saying this to Jon Stewart but I will: you owe Alexis an apology and you owe Reddit an apology. I'll stop short at saying you owe The Internet an apology because honestly I think The Internet owes us all an apology for a number of things, Justin Bieber notwithstanding.

In the clip you'll notice Stewart uses part of his answer to Alexis' question to make the point that Comedy Central had the idea for this rally "months" before Reddit did. Which is really odd considering Alexis didn't ask or imply that Reddit gave Comedy Central the idea for the rally in the first place. Sounds like someone feels a litle guilty about something. Who thought of it first doesn't matter, it is impossible to deny that Reddit's actions encouraged Comedy Central to actually pull the trigger. Except Stewart did, right to Alexis Ohanian's face, in a live press conference.

Why am I so bent about this? First and foremost, because a friend of mine got smacked down on live TV by a guy he helped, and I can't stand by and do nothing about it without at least saying something. But also because Daily Show writers have been doing essentially the same thing to me, every single day for the past 10 years. They use Fark every day to source material, and haven't mentioned Fark on air even one single time. It's the same attitude toward Reddit: "sure doesn't hurt, but not a significant contribution." Thanks to Fark, your writers don't have to go far to fill your shows up with material for you to use. Every writer I've met thanks me vociferously for Fark and tells me how much easier it makes their jobs. Sure that's not worth a daily mention, but I would think at least one in the last 10 years. It has yet to happen. I've learned to live with it, but Alexis is my friend and he does not deserve this kind of treatment. Especially considering the effort Reddit put into promoting the rally.

I'm not implying they owe Reddit or Fark any credit for the success of the Rally, that's definitely not the case. Comedy Central did the bulk of the work, that can't be disputed. This is about common courtesy. If someone does you a favor, a thank you is a kind and appropriate response. In Reddit's case, "it doesn't hurt" is a slap in the face. It discounts all the effort they went through - and they went through a lot. And they weren't the only ones, several other large web communities pitched in as well.

Here's my proposal: Jon Stewart should apologize for discounting the impact that Reddit and other Internet communities had on this rally, or next time The Internet should remember Comedy Central thinks they don't count and should show them what happens when "The Internet" actively works to convince people to not attend. Because if Reddit had put similar effort into convincing people not to attend, the crowd size would have been far smaller than anticipated. And if you don't believe me, let's see how it goes next time if Stewart makes the wrong decision.

PS: pretty sure this post will guarantee that I and/or Fark never get a mention on The Daily Show but that wasn't happening anyhow.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | » | Last

2010-11-04 07:07:25 AM
I'm sorry SirFire you've suddenly lost my attention. forum.i3d.net

2010-11-04 07:10:07 AM

Hypothesis proven false.

(.)(.)
) . (
( y )

2010-11-04 07:43:17 AM
SirFire: Hypothesis proven false.

(.)(.)
) . (
( y )

She's kinda fat

2010-11-04 07:45:37 AM

2010-11-04 08:05:30 AM
Marty Ackerman: SirFire: Hypothesis proven false.

(.)(.)
) . (
( y )

She's kinda fat

She also has no arms, legs or head. Gross, dude.

2010-11-04 08:08:29 AM
make me some tea: Marty Ackerman: SirFire: Hypothesis proven false.

(.)(.)
) . (
( y )

She's kinda fat

She also has no arms, legs or head. Gross, dude.

To be fair, she has part of her upper thighs...

2010-11-04 08:26:04 AM

2010-11-04 08:27:07 AM
Good morning! Is this the end yet?

ayanami3.free.fr

This looks kinda like the end

2010-11-04 08:40:25 AM

2010-11-04 08:41:42 AM
Welcome to Thursday's edition of 'let's last post the shiat out of this thread'

Please remember the theme is 'butts' since Drew is butt hurt.

2010-11-04 08:45:49 AM

THAT TOTALLY HAPPENED TO ME TOO. Except they saved my tooth and it didn't turn black and there were no pills. but TOTALLY THE SAME

OGC
2010-11-04 08:46:19 AM
It may have taken me over a day, but I have made it to the end of the thread! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go shower. Gotta wash all this butthurt off.

/I'm over it

2010-11-04 08:50:13 AM
missmarsha: sxacho: Once when I was a kid, I was riding my bike and I fell off, landing tooth first in the street. Shortly after, the front tooth in question turned black. My parents thought it odd, so they took me to a dentist, who gave me some pills to take. Then the tooth turned white again and everything was ok. I was talking to my mom a few years ago about this and it turned out the whole pill thing never happened. I think she said the tooth turned black and eventually fell out or something.

Finally, someone to back up my story!

Back
Up =
Totally
True

= BUTT

2010-11-04 08:51:00 AM
Thanks for the reminder
cm1.theinsider.com

2010-11-04 08:52:27 AM

I have a vivid memory of a play I was in way back in first grade where I played the Big Bad Wolf and burned my ass when I went down the chimney to get the Three Little Pigs.

The play never happened; I'm not sure where the memory comes from.

/keeps with the "butt" theme.

2010-11-04 08:54:49 AM
stclairvolleyball.com

2010-11-04 08:56:14 AM
Oh hey,

I think we broke into top ten now.
mindofstate.com

2010-11-04 08:57:23 AM
2.bp.blogspot.com

2010-11-04 09:00:37 AM
www.insidesocal.com

2010-11-04 09:05:32 AM
Someone please put this thread out of its misery.

2010-11-04 09:05:44 AM
4.bp.blogspot.com

2010-11-04 09:13:55 AM
this thread is sadder than my life

but, that ass... O~O

2010-11-04 09:18:46 AM
Holy shiat. You farkers are STILL going. I woulda thought this damn thing would be done with by now. This is a serious example of internet endurance.

2010-11-04 09:31:33 AM
What the hell. One more.
static.twoday.net

2010-11-04 09:38:22 AM
make me some tea: She's kinda fat

She also has no arms, legs or head. Gross, dude.

I'd get a time out for that.....

2010-11-04 09:47:17 AM
I just got a magazine that smells like spray paint. I guess I know what I'll be doing today.

2010-11-04 09:50:00 AM
i205.photobucket.com

2010-11-04 09:54:04 AM
This is the thread that never ends...yes it goes on and on my friends...

2010-11-04 10:01:21 AM
MONSTERTRUCK: xanadian: I wrote that on CC, it wasn't raided at all. Lol.

Yeah, I was just being silly. I saw a lot of other Farkers on there, too.

And, jesus, you guys were busy last night. O.o

2010-11-04 10:06:46 AM
Today is my Friday.

Suck it.

2010-11-04 10:10:00 AM
basemetal: make me some tea: She's kinda fat

She also has no arms, legs or head. Gross, dude.

I'd get a time out for that.....

[free_basemetal.jpg]

/wonder where my copy of that pic went.... :P

2010-11-04 10:10:45 AM
Today, i'm feeling Lucky.

and Lucky, my cat, is a bit startled by the attention.

2010-11-04 10:15:17 AM
fea·si·ble: (adj.)

-ible to be feased

2010-11-04 10:51:05 AM
Uchiha_Cycliste: ravenssettle: Whoever gets last post gets sponsored right?

I doubt it. Though there may be a chance since it's Drew's thread.
Most of us have congregated for the lolz and out of boredom.

I think at this point, people are just posting to see how long this thread ends up being.

2010-11-04 10:51:41 AM
fease me, squeeze me, but please don't tease me

2010-11-04 10:53:30 AM
i2.ytimg.com
"How long is it?"

2010-11-04 10:54:47 AM
missmarsha: LatinWolf what's your problem? did you go through this whole thread just to say crap to me? Of course I heart Drew, he pays for my TotalFark!

English is not your native language is it? But really stop being such a snowflake, you replied to me first, you took shots at anyone who would dare criticize your god and you have this delusion that no one will shot back.

2010-11-04 10:55:28 AM
Latinwolf: Uchiha_Cycliste: ravenssettle: Whoever gets last post gets sponsored right?

I doubt it. Though there may be a chance since it's Drew's thread.
Most of us have congregated for the lolz and out of boredom.

that's never worked for us =/

2010-11-04 10:58:18 AM
SirFire: I was just looking at the Top Comments page, and I find it very irritating that so many of them are football links

It would stand to reason there are also people dismayed by the number of threads on that list that ended in last post derpfests like this one, or started out as a last post derpfest.

I, for one, welcome our last post derpfest overlords.

2010-11-04 10:58:56 AM
wow

2010-11-04 11:02:58 AM

Three guys are in a bar.

One says: I've got the smallest arm of the world!

Another says: I've got the smallest head of the world!

Last one says: I've got the smallest dick of the world!

The three guys go to Guinness World Records.

First one goes and returns happy: I've really got the smallest arm in the world!

Second returns happy too: I've really got the smallest head of the world!

Last one returns angry and screams: WHO THE FARK IS KRYMSON TYDE?!

2010-11-04 11:05:22 AM
www.lastpostfund.ca

2010-11-04 11:08:12 AM
Ras-Algethi: Someone please put this thread out of its misery.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for last posts, we'd have no thread at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

2010-11-04 11:13:57 AM
I am the way to the City of Whoa!
I am the way to a forsaken people.
I am the way into eternal sorrow.
Pervverted justice moved my architect.
I was raised here by Divine's omnipotence,
Primordial love and ultimate intellect.
Only those elements time cannot wear
Were Boobies, and beyond time I stand.
Abandon all hope ye who enter here
For this is the land of the last posters.

2010-11-04 11:15:12 AM
www.lastpost.be

2010-11-04 11:15:19 AM
daRog: Krymson Tyde: Good morning folks. Did daRog finally run out of "My dick is so big that" jokes?

Three guys are in a bar.

One says: I've got the smallest arm of the world!

Another says: I've got the smallest head of the world!

Last one says: I've got the smallest dick of the world!

The three guys go to Guinness World Records.

Second returns happy too: I've really got the smallest head of the world!

Last one returns angry and screams: WHO THE FARK IS KRYMSON TYDE?!

Of
the world? Hmm.

2010-11-04 11:16:38 AM

Three guys are in a bar.

One says: I've got the smallest arm of the world!

Another says: I've got the smallest head of the world!

Last one says: I've got the smallest dick of the world!

The three guys go to Guinness World Records.

Second returns happy too: I've really got the smallest head of the world!

Last one returns angry and screams: WHO THE FARK IS KRYMSON TYDE?!

funny

There were these two fellars standin' on a bridge, a-goin' to the bathroom. One fellar said, "The water's cold" and the other fellar said, "The water's deep". I believe one fella come from Arkansas. Get it?

2010-11-04 11:17:12 AM
The fish are jumping and the cotton is high.

2010-11-04 11:21:32 AM