Jon Stewart to Reddit: you don't matter
Posted by Drew at 2010-11-01 2:41:26 PM, edited 2010-11-01 4:13:48 PM (5914 comments) | Permalink

55629 clicks; posted to Main » on 01 Nov 2010 at 5:11 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Backstory: Reddit has been pushing support for the Stewart/Colbert rally since its inception, possibly since before its inception.

At the Rally For Sanity press conference on Saturday, Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit, asked Stewart and Colbert a question: what role did the Internet play in convincing you to hold this rally? The response: "it didn't hurt."

Question at around 1:40
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-and-stephen-colbert-hold-post-rally-to- re store-sanity-press-conference/

Did you hear that Reddit? All that work you put into getting the word out, organizing meetups, and convincing people to go "didn't hurt". All that initial support in getting the ball rolling on this rally a few months back was great, but it wasn't a factor. Thanks for your meaningless and futile support that Comedy Central really didn't need at the end of the day to get a surprise crowd of 250,000 people to the rally. Did you hear that Internet? You had no role in this either, it was all Comedy Central all the way.

Colbert doesn't get a pass on this either, his "thanks Reddit for raising half a million dollars for our charity but it didn't affect attendence one way or the other" comment is a backhanded compliment at best.

And to say this all live, in a press conference, to the co-founder of a community of millions that did everything in its power to get the word out past its own readers to the greater internet, that is flat out disrespectful and wrong. Alexis is a friend of mine, and he's a super nice guy. He would never dream of saying this to Jon Stewart but I will: you owe Alexis an apology and you owe Reddit an apology. I'll stop short at saying you owe The Internet an apology because honestly I think The Internet owes us all an apology for a number of things, Justin Bieber notwithstanding.

In the clip you'll notice Stewart uses part of his answer to Alexis' question to make the point that Comedy Central had the idea for this rally "months" before Reddit did. Which is really odd considering Alexis didn't ask or imply that Reddit gave Comedy Central the idea for the rally in the first place. Sounds like someone feels a litle guilty about something. Who thought of it first doesn't matter, it is impossible to deny that Reddit's actions encouraged Comedy Central to actually pull the trigger. Except Stewart did, right to Alexis Ohanian's face, in a live press conference.

Why am I so bent about this? First and foremost, because a friend of mine got smacked down on live TV by a guy he helped, and I can't stand by and do nothing about it without at least saying something. But also because Daily Show writers have been doing essentially the same thing to me, every single day for the past 10 years. They use Fark every day to source material, and haven't mentioned Fark on air even one single time. It's the same attitude toward Reddit: "sure doesn't hurt, but not a significant contribution." Thanks to Fark, your writers don't have to go far to fill your shows up with material for you to use. Every writer I've met thanks me vociferously for Fark and tells me how much easier it makes their jobs. Sure that's not worth a daily mention, but I would think at least one in the last 10 years. It has yet to happen. I've learned to live with it, but Alexis is my friend and he does not deserve this kind of treatment. Especially considering the effort Reddit put into promoting the rally.

I'm not implying they owe Reddit or Fark any credit for the success of the Rally, that's definitely not the case. Comedy Central did the bulk of the work, that can't be disputed. This is about common courtesy. If someone does you a favor, a thank you is a kind and appropriate response. In Reddit's case, "it doesn't hurt" is a slap in the face. It discounts all the effort they went through - and they went through a lot. And they weren't the only ones, several other large web communities pitched in as well.

Here's my proposal: Jon Stewart should apologize for discounting the impact that Reddit and other Internet communities had on this rally, or next time The Internet should remember Comedy Central thinks they don't count and should show them what happens when "The Internet" actively works to convince people to not attend. Because if Reddit had put similar effort into convincing people not to attend, the crowd size would have been far smaller than anticipated. And if you don't believe me, let's see how it goes next time if Stewart makes the wrong decision.

PS: pretty sure this post will guarantee that I and/or Fark never get a mention on The Daily Show but that wasn't happening anyhow.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | » | Last

2010-11-01 04:27:22 PM
TheKnownUniverse
Hmm, that Fox News article says, "The rally, co-hosted by the Comedy Central comedians, drew a crowd estimated at 250,000 this past Saturday on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.." Is that the Official Fox Rally Tally now?

Yes, but they stand by their crowd estimate for Beck's rally of eleventy billion people.

2010-11-01 04:27:24 PM
did Glenn Beck thank Fox News for promoting his rally?
or Fark?
Why didn't you rant about Beck not patting you on the back Drew?

2010-11-01 04:27:29 PM
@uncletogie

You are probably right. I should apologize to Peewee Herman.

2010-11-01 04:27:29 PM

And Fark uses its members every day for 100% of its source material.

And you don't see us begging for medals...

This thread is the biggest "wheels falling off the wagon" Fark moment since the site re-design and the resulting "You'll get over it" post.

2010-11-01 04:27:37 PM
Macinfarker: I don't remember if Fark started prior to 2003.

It did.

/joined in 2002
//remembers fark was one of the only places with information on 9/11

2010-11-01 04:27:39 PM
I think we know who keeps greenlighting posts from World Nut Daily.

2010-11-01 04:27:47 PM
sn82: Oh gawd, I saw 3edges nipples *shudders*

i789.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:27:48 PM
I like this from the foxnews article:

"Curtis is now demanding that Jon Stewart give Ohanian and Reddit a formal apology, and he warned that Internet communities
"

It sounds pretty sad.

2010-11-01 04:27:57 PM
Jaboobinator: Why doesn't Drew address this issue in this thread?

He raped and murdered a girl in 1990

2010-11-01 04:28:00 PM
Jaboobinator: Why doesn't Drew address this issue in this thread?

The fact that Drew Curtis wont address this issue of Trolling a Thread in 2010 doesn't mean that he is guilty, it just gives serious pause to those who wonder weather or not the issue of Drew Curtis Trolling a Thread in 2010 holds any weight.

2010-11-01 04:28:03 PM
So not only has Drew got angry over a misunderstanding (ie he failed to understand a simple sentence), he also said something completely stupid to Fox News. (Paraphrasing because I can't be arsed to find the link and re-open it again) "It's not that credit is deserved, it's just strange that it's not there". What the fark? You say credit isn't necessarily deserved but feel that it should be given anyway? Shut up you cock. This is the stupidest thing I've read.

Maybe you can deflect attention and greenlight a hundred science/religion flamewar threads with stupid trolling headlines.

2010-11-01 04:28:18 PM
Given the number of people in this thread and it's nature, I figure it would be a good time to debut my most recent piece of writing. Please enjoy:

It is the fall of another hour. Tomorrow the leaves will change to another day. Time will flow and democracy will pass. Shall the dull tone of steady hands cycle us through another season or will the flowers of inspiration mark the birth of seeds of change? United we stand at a time of disconnection: broken, charred, a forest disarrayed by the flames of discontent fanned by willful ignorance. And thus we sit at the cusp for change and organization. Dignity demands we revitalize the broken landscape America embraces as country, pride, and fervor. Respect reminds us what has fallen- the American political landscape mirrors our communal attitude- the direct reflection of vibrant hate and baseless rhetoric.

Callous discourse prefaced upon exclusion has smothered the Public's view of reasonable action. If Democracy reaches the brink of destruction- that we honestly believe a vote is premised upon a choice between destruction or change, no matter the decision- then our Republic has chosen Fascism of a polemic political spectrum. Argument rests no longer upon a conviction of belief but on the principle of victory. The models of evidence exist only within the framework of power and the coercion to enhance it. Intellectualism is smothered in a community unwilling to acknowledge the existence of rivals- the difference between Democracy and Hatred is the perpendicular arrangement between the paradigms of acceptance and the futility of absolutes. The merit of our Republic rests not only on the broad plane of ideas, but the force in which it moves between them.

It stands to reason that decency in society rests upon the order of its subjects. Moderation lies between the rigor of academia and the subtlety of human complexity. Upon one front we must storm the waves of fact, evidence, and reason; develop character upon the loss of position; build strength with the armaments of debate; yet, our struggles lend us the feebleness of humanity, reason wagers a ratio that is a mere fraction of our understanding. Politics will never realize good objectives; government won't function; the fabric our country will dissolve if we allow broad discourse to dip into the vile ooze that makes up mass hysteria. It has gotten to the point where we needn't just protest for civil rights, we need to protest for civil discourse.

Lay not down to rest in the grave of your opponent. We offer naught to intellectualism to further a debate that remains saddled with examples of destruction and failure upon both fronts, entwined and entrenched in the politics and warfare of victory rather than accomplishment. We have chosen free speech as the foundation of our governmental policy; yet, honest freedom rests upon the brevity of voice and the duration of choice. American Politics has quickly forgotten that you cannot define the tone of discourse- you must create it. Nothing is achieved with time wasted analyzing specious arguments and sentiments. The Fourth Estate has inherited landed aristocracy, sold its laborers for seed, but cultivated no crops. It is not enough to till the exigencies; vibrant society rests not on the scraps picked from bone but the full course meal of nourishment. Journalism is not the resuscitation of events- that is laid bare by our mere existence; examination and diagnosis predicate the circulation that grows culture and society.

We have been made fools by our desires. In order to promote the general welfare of the nation we cannot allow individuals to only promote themselves. People have forgotten that there is more to freedom than consumerism. Superficial choices do not make you free- learning, vibrant community, society, and country make you free. We forgot long ago that it was not our system of economics that uplifted us, rather it was the ideals we held our population and government to. Never again shall we place the structure of society so far below the health of an individual- only a fool would fail to recognize that they are one in the same. NO longer should we judge our success by the wealth we manipulate- it is a failed test of our true character. Greed does not make a man- nor a country. Throw down your swords and pick up your neighbors- community is not defined by war, but friends.

For any policy you will always have the disadvantage of free riders; however, the abuse of few should not outweigh the benefit of multitude. We do not close highways because some people speed. We do not ban speech because some people speak ignorance with power. We should not obstruct freedom because some people will abuse it. We should not place ourselves above others because of cynicism and greed. Society is both a right and responsibility- you must demand inclusion and put forth effort to maintain it.

Ink spent is time wasted. Politics is frivolous if we don't pay due diligence to policy. Mere moments await before the breadth of the multitude lays waste to the contraction of the significant. Yet daily we displace our fervor with patriotism, our actions with criticism. Amongst the platitudes of politicians we echo the banality of expression: the misplaced vote for public approval as grand signal to lead. Democracy is no more won and lost at the ballot box than personal finance at the scratch of the lottery. Freedom is the intertwined and held taut by the connection of action to voice. The lifeblood of democracy is representation- how we represent ourselves is equally important to how we are represented. We cannot look to our neighbors and say that is "your problem;" rather, these undercurrents that ebb throughout the waves of our culture must be unified and structured in exactly that manner; there is a price for which every policy shall be paid- the value of Democracy is community. Reach out; embrace it.

The loss of our humanity reverberates through the abrasive currents of intolerance as America leisurely wades into the thick, torrential muck of slander, fear, and distrust. The final toll on Lady Liberty strikes hard the dichotomy between scattered tree of cracks upon our society that shatters to dust at the last call for freedom. Lest not our obituary ring empty with shattered credos and broken promises, we- America, society, humanity- must rise up and hold our leaders and ourselves accountable to the very word we threaten to define ourselves by: United.

2010-11-01 04:28:20 PM
Welcome to Fark - We eat our own.

2010-11-01 04:28:24 PM
alzahra: Felgraf: Also, Drew:

It was really rather lame of you to threaten on 'our behalf', like you're our exalted leader or something. That was rather arrogant.

That's what I was thinking when I read that "he warned that Internet communities could very well pull future support if the Daily Show host didn't right his alleged wrongs" in the Fox article

Cripes.

2010-11-01 04:28:30 PM
My take, as a non-internet joke headline stealer whose friends are all non-internet joke headline stealer, but I've dated a internet joke headline stealer (and he was so polite about it, I barely noticed).

1. you do not steal internet joke headlines around me
2. you do not steal internet joke headlines around my friends (same reason, they don't like having their internet joke headlines stolen).
3. you do not steal internet joke headlines inside, anywhere
4. you do not steal internet joke headlines on my property. that's right. I don't care that there's a deck, don't steal internet joke headlines on it. This also includes areas close enough that the stolen internet joke headlines would enter my home- aka, under windows, etc.
5. If you smell so badly of stolen internet joke headlines that you leave areas of my home smelling of stolen internet joke headlines, then you're no longer welcome in my home.

And I'm a pretty hardcore anti-internet joke headline theft. So if your GF has rules stricter than mine, you've got issues.

2010-11-01 04:28:33 PM
How many people are submitting the Fox story with variations of "Drew Curtis of Drew Curtis' Fark.com is a butthurt douche" headlines?

/I think the "Photoshop Drew's sign" contest is about to get nasty

2010-11-01 04:28:51 PM
STFU and DIAF: FoxNews supports you Drew. That right there should tell you how wrong you are.

Link (new window)

Sorry Drew, you're clearly in the wrong, and this is only further evidence as such. Nice of Fox to leave out pertinent details, like Colbert thanking Reddit, etc. Stick to posting other people's content, not your own next time.

2010-11-01 04:28:51 PM
img178.imageshack.us

2010-11-01 04:28:51 PM

Link (new window)

Hey Drew. You can't have my five dollars anymore. Not yours.

2010-11-01 04:28:55 PM
Wow. What the hell man. You sound like an egomaniac, Drew.

2010-11-01 04:29:00 PM
Subscription Details

This subscription has been cancelled.

I've been a loyal TFer for six years. Good bye, and f*ck you Drew. Hope you have fun with Juan Williams.

2010-11-01 04:29:12 PM
I'm sure they'll really take this criticism to heart. They really should listen to the community-based Fark.com what with all that ESPN and Cuervo money.

2010-11-01 04:29:19 PM
Barakku: Pft, who's heard of Reddit, comedy central has awesome, popular shows the whole nation tunes into, like South Park. And...South Park

And Ugly Americans.

And the new episodes of Futurama.

And...uh...and...um....South Park.

(Besides TDS and CR, of course.)

2010-11-01 04:29:27 PM
I'm just here for the clusterf*ck.

2010-11-01 04:29:38 PM
homeschooled: Mr Rusty Shackleford: homeschooled: Is this where I comment and say I'm disappointed in Drew so I sound cool and edgy?

OH WAIT.......... Drew is 100% right. My bad.

/can't imagine people stealing stuff from my site for years without recognition. I'd be bitter too.

Have you seen the amount of shiat he sifts through to greenlight articles? He deserves a medal.

Drew doesn't do it, the admins do.

2010-11-01 04:29:38 PM

OH WAIT.......... Drew is 100% right. My bad.

Did you watch the video?

2010-11-01 04:29:41 PM
This is farking retarded.

And not that it matters, considering just how farking retarded this is BUT Colbert & Stewart literally DID acknowledge and thank the interwebs. Literally:

"The 1/2 million in charitable donations we got as a result of Reddits efforts was fantastic. Thanks a lot! We already had the deposit down and permits when the Rally showed up on the internet and it sure didn't hurt validating our decision to do this"

2010-11-01 04:29:43 PM
Macinfarker: I followed Fark long before I created an account...and besides your math is teh bad: 2010-2005 = 5 years. 8 years is an estimate...but now that I think about it I don't remember if Fark started prior to 2003.

My bad, I was told there'd be no math. I started lurking around 2002, so make it 8 for me too.

/seriously WTF Drew?

2010-11-01 04:29:44 PM
too-old: Jaboobinator: Why doesn't Drew address this issue in this thread?

He raped and murdered a girl in 1990

at least he's not a virgin

2010-11-01 04:29:48 PM
Quel:

tl;dr

2010-11-01 04:29:49 PM
Can this be the CUE moment of the week?

2010-11-01 04:29:52 PM
Lumox: ThisNameSux: I have nothing to say, this pic just cracks me up for some reason

What about this one.

/i like this site.
//downplaying the issue with weird pictures.

I've seen that picture at a doctor's office. That's been shopped. The kid isn't pointing and laughing and that's a different head.

I think.

2010-11-01 04:29:54 PM
bride_of_adam_cole: I like this from the foxnews article:

could very well pull future support if the Daily Show host didn't right his alleged wrongs."

It sounds pretty sad.

hmm maybe Drew is just looking for a justification to blacklist TDS and Colbert headlines?

2010-11-01 04:29:56 PM
What's Reddit?

2010-11-01 04:30:02 PM
Its funny watching the white knight trolls trying to take the heat off this burning pile of poop with their desperate attention seeking...and how its really not working at all which is just spiffy for a change. Sorry kids, your idol did bad and there is nothing you can do to help him.

/that fox article just cracks me right up too

2010-11-01 04:30:03 PM
Quel: United

i4.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:30:07 PM
Since parody threads are ok people, you know what to do next

2010-11-01 04:30:11 PM
homeschooled: Note that this site's original content is, by and large, not created by Drew, and almost completely without recognition to those who did create it. Do you see any similarities here?

And he does it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week how does that work? The man is a robot I tell you.

2010-11-01 04:30:13 PM
Talon: Macinfarker: I don't remember if Fark started prior to 2003.

It did.

/joined in 2002
//remembers fark was one of the only places with information on 9/11

Cool thx....I have vague but probably inaccurate memories of following Fark that day.

2010-11-01 04:30:18 PM
Treygreen13: On my way back to the office, I saw a black jumpsuit and a grappling hook in the middle of the road.

Do you think somebody accidentally hit a ninja?

The ninjas in Texas all carry grappling hooks, and it likely wasn't an accident.

2010-11-01 04:30:20 PM
We got trolled. Hard.

2010-11-01 04:30:20 PM
JOHN STEWART WASN'T AT THE CHICAGO FARK PARTY

2010-11-01 04:30:32 PM
R.A.Danny: Welcome to Fark - We eat our own.

i789.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:30:39 PM
4chan Ambassador: Subscription Details

This subscription has been cancelled.

lol bye

2010-11-01 04:30:44 PM
"I don't think Reddit 'deserved' credit, but heaven forbid they DON'T get it nonetheless!!"

Weak.

2010-11-01 04:30:44 PM
Oh, and Jon Stewart, let me give you a little advice. Most of you comedians on tv (especially the ones saying "I'd be a top, no questions!") would try bottoming once "just to see if you like it". You'd fall in love with it and that's all she wrote.

But, and this is the point I'm getting to, you're lazy-asses (literally and figuratively). You wouldn't keep your holes tight. I'm not saying you'd get "the goat" or anything, but under the constant pounding you'd be begging for, it would get a little worn out.

Well, guess what guys. You know how women gossip about their guys? That's how we tops are about you bottoms. Everyone would know about your loose asses. You won't be able to give that sh*t away.

You think bottoming is easy and you don't have to do any work? You're wrong. And when your dance card is empty, night after night, you'll think back to the little piece of advice Drew gave you and a light bulb will go off.

You're welcome.

2010-11-01 04:30:47 PM
unremarkable asterisk: My take, as an anti-apologetic person

DAMN YOU!

2010-11-01 04:30:49 PM
haha, 4Chan just broke diplomatic ties with TF. Hear that Drew Curtis's FARK DOT COM EL EL SEE. Our twitter campaign is bearing fruit. Allah Ackbar.

2010-11-01 04:30:53 PM
Now you know what if feels like to get treated in an unfair way Drew.

2010-11-01 04:31:04 PM
For all you people defending drew, it's quite simple what Comedy Central was trying to do......Keep the event as neutral and untied to any particular group as possible, so as to avoid any potential "waaaaahhhh, this event was biased and here's the proof" claims that people (such as fox) could make. Especially if said groups went out and did something biased(such as letting that one dem congressman self-plug on here two years ago). Fark and Reddit would be ESPECIALLY poisonous to that cause because of their left-leanings. To sum it up:

Drew, you dun' goofed.