Jon Stewart to Reddit: you don't matter
Posted by Drew at 2010-11-01 2:41:26 PM, edited 2010-11-01 4:13:48 PM (5914 comments) | Permalink

55611 clicks; posted to Main » on 01 Nov 2010 at 5:11 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Backstory: Reddit has been pushing support for the Stewart/Colbert rally since its inception, possibly since before its inception.

At the Rally For Sanity press conference on Saturday, Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit, asked Stewart and Colbert a question: what role did the Internet play in convincing you to hold this rally? The response: "it didn't hurt."

Question at around 1:40
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-and-stephen-colbert-hold-post-rally-to- re store-sanity-press-conference/

Did you hear that Reddit? All that work you put into getting the word out, organizing meetups, and convincing people to go "didn't hurt". All that initial support in getting the ball rolling on this rally a few months back was great, but it wasn't a factor. Thanks for your meaningless and futile support that Comedy Central really didn't need at the end of the day to get a surprise crowd of 250,000 people to the rally. Did you hear that Internet? You had no role in this either, it was all Comedy Central all the way.

Colbert doesn't get a pass on this either, his "thanks Reddit for raising half a million dollars for our charity but it didn't affect attendence one way or the other" comment is a backhanded compliment at best.

And to say this all live, in a press conference, to the co-founder of a community of millions that did everything in its power to get the word out past its own readers to the greater internet, that is flat out disrespectful and wrong. Alexis is a friend of mine, and he's a super nice guy. He would never dream of saying this to Jon Stewart but I will: you owe Alexis an apology and you owe Reddit an apology. I'll stop short at saying you owe The Internet an apology because honestly I think The Internet owes us all an apology for a number of things, Justin Bieber notwithstanding.

In the clip you'll notice Stewart uses part of his answer to Alexis' question to make the point that Comedy Central had the idea for this rally "months" before Reddit did. Which is really odd considering Alexis didn't ask or imply that Reddit gave Comedy Central the idea for the rally in the first place. Sounds like someone feels a litle guilty about something. Who thought of it first doesn't matter, it is impossible to deny that Reddit's actions encouraged Comedy Central to actually pull the trigger. Except Stewart did, right to Alexis Ohanian's face, in a live press conference.

Why am I so bent about this? First and foremost, because a friend of mine got smacked down on live TV by a guy he helped, and I can't stand by and do nothing about it without at least saying something. But also because Daily Show writers have been doing essentially the same thing to me, every single day for the past 10 years. They use Fark every day to source material, and haven't mentioned Fark on air even one single time. It's the same attitude toward Reddit: "sure doesn't hurt, but not a significant contribution." Thanks to Fark, your writers don't have to go far to fill your shows up with material for you to use. Every writer I've met thanks me vociferously for Fark and tells me how much easier it makes their jobs. Sure that's not worth a daily mention, but I would think at least one in the last 10 years. It has yet to happen. I've learned to live with it, but Alexis is my friend and he does not deserve this kind of treatment. Especially considering the effort Reddit put into promoting the rally.

I'm not implying they owe Reddit or Fark any credit for the success of the Rally, that's definitely not the case. Comedy Central did the bulk of the work, that can't be disputed. This is about common courtesy. If someone does you a favor, a thank you is a kind and appropriate response. In Reddit's case, "it doesn't hurt" is a slap in the face. It discounts all the effort they went through - and they went through a lot. And they weren't the only ones, several other large web communities pitched in as well.

Here's my proposal: Jon Stewart should apologize for discounting the impact that Reddit and other Internet communities had on this rally, or next time The Internet should remember Comedy Central thinks they don't count and should show them what happens when "The Internet" actively works to convince people to not attend. Because if Reddit had put similar effort into convincing people not to attend, the crowd size would have been far smaller than anticipated. And if you don't believe me, let's see how it goes next time if Stewart makes the wrong decision.

PS: pretty sure this post will guarantee that I and/or Fark never get a mention on The Daily Show but that wasn't happening anyhow.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | » | Last

2010-11-01 04:17:33 PM
el_dudarino: ne2d: Sorry for the trouble. To the 99.99% of you that this doesn't apply to, carry on

you're a piece of shiat. i wasn't even planning to post in this thread, and i've never whined about sissy bullshiat like this a day in my life.

Look you farking dumb ass skank-biscut; you don't know shiat. You don't know who I am or what I do or what my life at home is like. I am there for this girl. I hold her when she cries, I buy her flowers, I cook her dinner. I listen to her problems, I talk to her about them and I try to help her through them. It is not, NOT, unreasonable to think of how I am feeling every once in a while. I put her first, always. I am looking at what it is doing to me and I am asking for advice, not judgment from some no-face c*nt bucket. So until you actualy have a conversation with me, know who I am, where I am coming from, don't you farking dare think that you know who I am.

2010-11-01 04:17:33 PM
MBarry: Did someone say tacos?

i789.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:17:45 PM
Wow.
Talk about made up news.

2010-11-01 04:17:48 PM

you are all pretentious douchebags now.

So what was the change that you noticed?

ALL THE MALE DINOSAURS TURNED INTO FEMALE DINOSAURS

2010-11-01 04:17:48 PM
This is a lot o' posts for a thread that was thoroughly Clintoned in the Boobies.

2010-11-01 04:17:56 PM

WHAT? Mine was innocuous. I was just referring to the last line of the article. Its not like we're 4 chan for chrissakes.

2010-11-01 04:17:58 PM
el_dudarino: skiptomyloop: Sincerely,
skiptomyloop

The point of the thread was to read your response. But deriding mine must be much easier. I guess it better represents the average farker, who is lazy, and enjoys putting down random strangers in an effort to stroke their own ego. Maybe if I had posted one of fark's undead and unfunny cliches you jerks would have laughed yourselves silly.

So this is fark's online community? And this is what it's like to be a part of it? Wow, it sucks.

Goodbye fark, and good riddance. Enjoy delivering your scathing replies, I won't be reading them.

i4.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:18:04 PM
RareChimer: I', surprised that the Reddit guy took offense (if he did?).

I'm thinking the Reddit guy and Drew both have man crushes on Stewart and believe that they should be BFFs with him by now, if only Stewart would just recognize how much they've contributed to his career.

2010-11-01 04:18:11 PM
STFU and DIAF: FoxNews supports you Drew. That right there should tell you how wrong you are.

Link (new window)

Wow... I guess Drew knows now that he may have over-reacted. That's just a horrible way to find out.

Drew, you're ammo against the people you love. What's going on!?

2010-11-01 04:18:22 PM
Semper Gumby: atlfarkette: Are we being trolled? It kinda feels like it.

I think so.

I mean, I hope so.

/I can't believe I'm on the main page.

i789.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:18:25 PM
ok drew i dont mind if youre going to stay all titty baby whining like this but at least nut up and ban seigs and dudarino because those to f*cksh*ts mistakes their parents regret more than you do this blog

2010-11-01 04:18:31 PM
kasmel: With all due respect:

Alexis' question was, "What role did the internet campaign play in convincing you to hold this rally."

Not what impact did it have on the success of the rally. Stephen Colbert also brought up Reddit by name and explicitly thanked the community and said that it was a nice reinforcement from their fans.

Stephen also mentioned the Reddit campaign on his show as well as thanked them personally.

http://www.nofactzone.net/2010/09/16/stephen-colbert-thanks-reddit-readers-for- d onors-choose-response/

I agree that both the Colbert Report and Daily Show owe a certain amount to the internet and the communities for material, and a mention would be nice, but I don't feel that this is an example of them not being appropriately appreciative.

Yes, but Drew has a point in that his feelings are somehow hurt.

2010-11-01 04:18:34 PM
atlfarkette: Are we being trolled? It kinda feels like it.

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

2010-11-01 04:18:49 PM
unremarkable asterisk: i267.photobucket.com

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2010-11-01 04:19:01 PM
Drew hoodwinks amateur comedy writers into scouring the Internet for amusing news stories and writing free copy for him. This they do to garner some sort of validation. I don't know how much Drew makes off of this site, but I'm sure it's already too much.

2010-11-01 04:19:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the fat basement dwellers on Redit or whatever it's called haven't left their trailers and/or basements since 1989 anyway.

2010-11-01 04:19:10 PM
HAS ANYONE HEARD FROM DREW LATELY?

THEY KILLED DREW!

2010-11-01 04:19:14 PM
Barakku: Pft, who's heard of Reddit

Isn't that the Digg clone owned by giant media corporation Advance Publications?

2010-11-01 04:19:19 PM
Are we seriously gonna poop on this?

2010-11-01 04:19:33 PM
Heysomefarkingpenguinatemysammich!: Oh dear it seems you have too much sand in your vagina and this is coming from someone with a vagina.

Look, you pathetic excuse for a human being, I don't come here for this kind of crap, I come here for legitimate creative and original thought and humour. You are exactly the kind of person who is ruining this website, with your "cliches" and your cliquey bullshiat. I know, I know, you're gonna run back to your "GG" and cry to your internet friends about how I was a big meanie and that's fine, just fine. but while we're on the subject I hope you get eyefarked with a rusty mechanical pencil until your vocal chords give out from screaming, you nasty pus-faced cockmonkey

2010-11-01 04:19:43 PM
Sh*t you made me look - shame on you.

2010-11-01 04:20:00 PM
no one would steal anything from www.imbibeisntarealword.com anyway

2010-11-01 04:20:04 PM
homeschooled: Is this where I comment and say I'm disappointed in Drew so I sound cool and edgy?

OH WAIT.......... Drew is 100% right. My bad.

/can't imagine people stealing stuff from my site for years without recognition. I'd be bitter too.
I didn't watch the linked video.

We know.

2010-11-01 04:20:08 PM

2010-11-01 04:20:17 PM
Macinfarker: No shiat, Drew? You farking COMPLAINED TO FOX NEWS?

Wow...this is the first time in 8 4 years I'm actually thinking of ditching your site.

2010-11-01 04:20:19 PM

That's alright, if they go to the Fark link in the article they can view our comments. Unless Drew starts deleting them...

Naw... he has too much integrity to start doing that... doesn't he?

2010-11-01 04:20:20 PM
el_dudarino: trappedspirit: el_dudarino: i am so glad this month of TF was sponsored for me. the place really has changed since i was here last.

you are all pretentious douchebags now.

So what was the change that you noticed?

ALL THE MALE DINOSAURS TURNED INTO FEMALE DINOSAURS

i4.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:20:29 PM
I'm one of the few people here who has no problem with what Drew has said.

Of course, the reason I support this blog entry and Keith Olbermann's recent bloviating (I heard that word on O'Reilly once) is because I am a conservative who loves to see as much progressive in-fighting as possible.

2010-11-01 04:20:32 PM
I predict this is going to be the greatest thread of all time. OF ALL TIME.

2010-11-01 04:20:37 PM
Aren't we the ones who rip on media outlets for picking up stupid stories and manufacturing outrage over worthless crap?

2010-11-01 04:20:40 PM
"Don't make Fark angry, Jon Stewart. You wouldn't like Fark when it's angry. But unfortunately, it may already be too late." from fox news

this passes as news?

Oh yeah anything to discredit the sane peeps.

2010-11-01 04:20:43 PM
frenchcheesemuseum: make me some tea: Huh, FOX deleted the comments that were posted there. FCM and 3 others.

CUT HER MIC

2010-11-01 04:20:55 PM
LasersHurt: Tor_Eckman: medius: /the internet was there

And it's got some pretty sweet gams!

That's PROBABLY a dude. It IS the internet, after all.

Or she's hiding the fact that she's 400 pounds. Being the internet and all.

2010-11-01 04:21:10 PM

OH WAIT.......... Drew is 100% right. My bad.

I better not admit to those panty thefts then..

2010-11-01 04:21:13 PM
Having trouble hearing you over how awesome Captain Kirk is. Also, someone sponsor Kitwilly.

2010-11-01 04:21:13 PM

Once Stewart/Colbert went public with the event, such actions would be the equivalent of throwing a piece of straw on a bonfire and claiming you "helped".

Again...once the rally was set, Reddit's influence was miniscule. The truth can hurt.

Reddit already got credit for pushing for said rally.

But it seems that somehow they expected to be a much bigger part of the resulting effort than they actually were...and still want the credit that they'd have received had they BEEN a significant part of said effort.

Reddit.com should be proud for pushing for the rally, but beyond that, need to quit being attention whores.

2010-11-01 04:21:16 PM
Yeah, and I'm the nutcase. This shiat is laughable; you have no idea what a retard you look like here, do ya? You all have a great day with your Internet Serious F*cking Business, little "memes" and clichés that quit being funny eons ago but you just keep posting because you have nothing else to say. Christ. Friggin' insane.

2010-11-01 04:21:17 PM
"Curtis is now demanding that Jon Stewart give Ohanian and Reddit a formal apology, and he warned that Internet communities
could very well pull future support
if the Daily Show host didn't right his alleged wrongs."

What's wrong with you?? Go outside and enjoy life!

2010-11-01 04:21:20 PM
Anti_illuminati: make me some tea: Huh, FOX deleted the comments that were posted there. FCM and 3 others.

Naw... he has too much integrity to start doing that... doesn't he?

Heh, well I guess he brought it today.

2010-11-01 04:21:20 PM
Felgraf: It was really rather lame of you to threaten on 'our behalf', like you're our exalted leader or something. That was rather arrogant.

That isn't what he said at all.

2010-11-01 04:21:25 PM
Wow...I swing both ways of these link dumps...and I must say, Reddit is taking it a whole lot better than you are, Drew.

Either that, or they don't know how to look too deeply into things...

/Reddit seems to give me my "not news" a lot faster than Fark, BTW. That doesn't mean I favor one over the other. But you'll probably cry and be butthurt about that, too.

2010-11-01 04:21:28 PM
Anti_illuminati: Donor: Anti_illuminati: Donor

Would you blame Obama or his speech-writers if it happened there?

I'm sorry. I didn't know it was Obama or Obama's speechwriters' responsibility to look up humorous headlines on the interwebs. However, if you're just going for plain old plagiarism, I'd blame his speechwriters. If he continues to employ said speechwriter, I'd blame Obama for a lack of speech-writing integrity.

So it is Leno's fault then. One-time or a few times it is the writers' fault and they should be held accountable(doing a bad job). If it is regular then it is the public figure's fault for not enforcing integrity. I totally concur.

Citing the originality of work is my main concern. Sure Fark makes money on other people articles; but it doesn't copy+pasta articles and try to pass it off as if Drew wrote them. Original journalists/papers still get credit for their work; despite how poorly written an article may be. Headline submitters get credit for their submissions in their profiles not matter how awful they are. All Drew is asking for is credit.

/IMHO, Credit to Fark isn't credit to Drew. It is credit given to the users since it is a community-driven site.
//Does think Drew has his panties in a wad on this one; but you have to pick a battle you may at least have a chance at winning.

2010-11-01 04:21:35 PM
mikaloyd: Filthy liter!

agreed, what has this world come to.

2010-11-01 04:21:35 PM

OH WAIT.......... Drew is 100% right. My bad.

Note that this site's original content is, by and large, not created by Drew, and almost completely without recognition to those who did create it. Do you see any similarities here?

2010-11-01 04:21:38 PM
i789.photobucket.com

Meanwhile, at 3edge's apartment

2010-11-01 04:21:38 PM
violentsalvation: After reading all of Drew's rant, I kind of agree with him, Ive seen Jon Stewart and Letterman and Leno all use Fark headlines in their jokes, ENTIRELY UNCREDITED. Im sure they do the same with Reddit. The only show Ive seen give credit to Fark for use of headlines is Jeopardy.

Boortz also pulls from Fark and gives appropriate credit.

2010-11-01 04:21:47 PM
Cytokine Storm: What the hell? Man I'm half tempted to spend my days actually working now and not wasting anymore time here.

I can see the headlines now:

Butthurt Internet B-Lister Offends Meal Ticket, National Productivity Soars

2010-11-01 04:21:54 PM
el_dudarino: you nasty pus-faced cockmonkey

Oh, I'm sorry - the phrase we were looking for is "cock juggling thunder-coont" - but thanks for playing!

2010-11-01 04:22:03 PM
BroadbandGremlin: I'm one of the few people here who has no problem with what Drew has said.

Woah, woah, dude. Slow your roll a little, I don't think you were actually supposed to say that aloud! Someone might hear you!

2010-11-01 04:22:12 PM
@homeschooled

In defense of the doddering crybabbies in this discussion, Drew did change the layout of the website, and added three dots on the underside of every headline. Some of these guys have been waiting for years to be able to catch Drew in a vulnerable moment so they could spew the bile they are. It is nothing short of pathetic.