Jon Stewart to Reddit: you don't matter
Posted by Drew at 2010-11-01 2:41:26 PM, edited 2010-11-01 4:13:48 PM (5884 comments) | Permalink

55505 clicks; posted to Main » on 01 Nov 2010 at 5:11 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Backstory: Reddit has been pushing support for the Stewart/Colbert rally since its inception, possibly since before its inception.

At the Rally For Sanity press conference on Saturday, Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit, asked Stewart and Colbert a question: what role did the Internet play in convincing you to hold this rally? The response: "it didn't hurt."

Question at around 1:40
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-and-stephen-colbert-hold-post-rally-to- re store-sanity-press-conference/

Did you hear that Reddit? All that work you put into getting the word out, organizing meetups, and convincing people to go "didn't hurt". All that initial support in getting the ball rolling on this rally a few months back was great, but it wasn't a factor. Thanks for your meaningless and futile support that Comedy Central really didn't need at the end of the day to get a surprise crowd of 250,000 people to the rally. Did you hear that Internet? You had no role in this either, it was all Comedy Central all the way.

Colbert doesn't get a pass on this either, his "thanks Reddit for raising half a million dollars for our charity but it didn't affect attendence one way or the other" comment is a backhanded compliment at best.

And to say this all live, in a press conference, to the co-founder of a community of millions that did everything in its power to get the word out past its own readers to the greater internet, that is flat out disrespectful and wrong. Alexis is a friend of mine, and he's a super nice guy. He would never dream of saying this to Jon Stewart but I will: you owe Alexis an apology and you owe Reddit an apology. I'll stop short at saying you owe The Internet an apology because honestly I think The Internet owes us all an apology for a number of things, Justin Bieber notwithstanding.

In the clip you'll notice Stewart uses part of his answer to Alexis' question to make the point that Comedy Central had the idea for this rally "months" before Reddit did. Which is really odd considering Alexis didn't ask or imply that Reddit gave Comedy Central the idea for the rally in the first place. Sounds like someone feels a litle guilty about something. Who thought of it first doesn't matter, it is impossible to deny that Reddit's actions encouraged Comedy Central to actually pull the trigger. Except Stewart did, right to Alexis Ohanian's face, in a live press conference.

Why am I so bent about this? First and foremost, because a friend of mine got smacked down on live TV by a guy he helped, and I can't stand by and do nothing about it without at least saying something. But also because Daily Show writers have been doing essentially the same thing to me, every single day for the past 10 years. They use Fark every day to source material, and haven't mentioned Fark on air even one single time. It's the same attitude toward Reddit: "sure doesn't hurt, but not a significant contribution." Thanks to Fark, your writers don't have to go far to fill your shows up with material for you to use. Every writer I've met thanks me vociferously for Fark and tells me how much easier it makes their jobs. Sure that's not worth a daily mention, but I would think at least one in the last 10 years. It has yet to happen. I've learned to live with it, but Alexis is my friend and he does not deserve this kind of treatment. Especially considering the effort Reddit put into promoting the rally.

I'm not implying they owe Reddit or Fark any credit for the success of the Rally, that's definitely not the case. Comedy Central did the bulk of the work, that can't be disputed. This is about common courtesy. If someone does you a favor, a thank you is a kind and appropriate response. In Reddit's case, "it doesn't hurt" is a slap in the face. It discounts all the effort they went through - and they went through a lot. And they weren't the only ones, several other large web communities pitched in as well.

Here's my proposal: Jon Stewart should apologize for discounting the impact that Reddit and other Internet communities had on this rally, or next time The Internet should remember Comedy Central thinks they don't count and should show them what happens when "The Internet" actively works to convince people to not attend. Because if Reddit had put similar effort into convincing people not to attend, the crowd size would have been far smaller than anticipated. And if you don't believe me, let's see how it goes next time if Stewart makes the wrong decision.

PS: pretty sure this post will guarantee that I and/or Fark never get a mention on The Daily Show but that wasn't happening anyhow.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | » | Last

2010-11-01 04:07:17 PM
OUT THE SUBMITTER!!

2010-11-01 04:07:24 PM
Daily show writers may steal jokes from Fark, but Fark is mostly user generated content. Fark makes money off of having a community of people willing to make content (in this case: jokes) for free. Maybe you should make your own TV... channel... oh...
I personally don't watch the Daily Show because Fark (and other sites like it) exists. This site is great, and it is good at what it was made for, to make people chuckle/discuss news stories. But the site is what it is today by the community of people that support it, unless the mods/owner are really that funny, in which case, they should get jobs as writers at the Daily Show. Henceforththeretobe, I've never understood the 'steal headlines from Fark' argument. You could stop posting funny things that other people make for you and take away the Daily Show writers' bread and butter, but then you wouldn't have much of a site left (community, hits, and ad money).

b) A half of a million dollars is a lot of money. Why in the farking coont shiat would anyone give that to an event that was clearly already paid for?

2010-11-01 04:07:39 PM
RareChimer: Shame -- You should have it. Because when you don't, you're more likely to get embarrassed.

THAT IS NOT HOW SHAME WORKS!

2010-11-01 04:07:40 PM
Boiling this down to 'you don't matter' is a melodramatic, dishonest mischaracterization of what was said. Surely Drew knows this. Hence, I'll stick with my prior assumption that this was just a self-important whine constructed for egotistical reasons to let everyone know he's friends with the Reddit guy and that, like the Reddit guy, he's more important than everyone is letting on.

It has to be that, b/c all the other stuff he's saying seems very loosely based on reality.

2010-11-01 04:07:48 PM
ThreeEdgedSword

farm5.static.flickr.com

farm5.static.flickr.com

2010-11-01 04:07:58 PM
Did you guys hear that? Drew said NO brown M&M's!! You all owe him an apology. And his friends an apology.

You know, this just reinforces the stereotype of people on Reddit being stuckup smug assholes who need constant reassurance the world revolves around their atheist souls.

2010-11-01 04:08:15 PM

Link (new window)

Jesus H. Christ, what do they think we are, /b/?

/Hey Drew, not your personal army

2010-11-01 04:08:17 PM
Kitwilly: somebody sponsor me.

Filthy liter!

2010-11-01 04:08:29 PM
elleonheels: The reason for the rally was to stop this bickering crap. Please, Drew, leave it alone and let's continue to be the reasonable masses.

/sick and tired of all of it.

Check in on a Politics thread sometime in the near future (especially Tuesday night). It's gotten significantly worse in the past few years.

2010-11-01 04:08:41 PM
Drew is mad about FARK not getting ctredit for jokes he didn't write?!?

2010-11-01 04:09:05 PM
Drew: Here's a few responses to a bunch of separate comments:

- Drew's butthurt

No, I'm angry that a friend got snubbed in public at a press conference by someone he respects and admires, and recently helped. Insert Your Mom joke here

- There's no way credit can be given to every website on the Internet for everything it does

Correct. However when someone is standing right in front of you and you know they helped, it's a damn good time to mention it. Or say nothing. Not "it didn't hurt". No one owes anyone a hat tip, but that right there was a dick move in my opinion

- Stewart didn't mean to slight Reddit

Possibly not, but in my opinion, he did.

- Stewart was kidding when he said what he said

If he did, then I'm way off base. If I'm wrong I'll absolutely own up to it. As of right now, I'm not wrong.

Sry for the copy pasta but I feel you may benefit from reading it again.

"With all due respect:

Alexis' question was, "What role did the internet campaign play in convincing you to hold this rally."

Not what impact did it have on the success of the rally. Stephen Colbert also brought up Reddit by name and explicitly thanked the community and said that it was a nice reinforcement from their fans.

Stephen also mentioned the Reddit campaign on his show as well as thanked them personally.

http://www.nofactzone.net/2010/09/16/stephen-colbert-thanks-reddit-readers-for- d onors-choose-response/

I agree that both the Colbert Report and Daily Show owe a certain amount to the internet and the communities for material, and a mention would be nice, but I don't feel that this is an example of them not being appropriately appreciative."

2010-11-01 04:09:14 PM
EdNortonsTwin
There could have been a response of:
"It helped" or even "it was a positive",

[..]
While the internets really wanted kudos here, one positive word would have probably diffused what was created with two negatives words;

I can't get the video to work so I don't know how Stewart said it, but maybe some people need to look up what Litotes is and how it is often used to express or even emphasize something positive by using double negatives.
Maybe it's not unusual for Stewart to use it...

jbc [TotalFark]
2010-11-01 04:09:15 PM

Link (new window)

i28.tinypic.com

2010-11-01 04:09:26 PM
Drew:

You overvalue the role of websites like this one. It's like a coffee shop wanting credit for the work people on laptops so while sitting and sipping their lattes.

You run a Forum and if Fark or Reddit did not exist then people would simply gather elsewhere.

Now, All of that aside.

In the video both Jon and Steven praise 'The internet' (see reddit) for rasing money and creating support for something they were planning. And that was after the reddit creator specificly asked for no pandering!

You could not be more wrong and people here are all losing respect for you in the process.

2010-11-01 04:09:30 PM
i54.tinypic.com

/from the rally

2010-11-01 04:09:32 PM
Hi all

This won't apply to most of you. Lately we've been having issues with folks going out of control trolling drew in non-drew-related threads. At some point these reach a critical mass and it becomes not safe for work.

In an effort to permanently remove instigators from our community, the moderators have been instructed to be particularly harsh on anyone perceived to be messing with my cash flow.

This is undoubtably going to catch some folks who innocently wandered in and wanted some fun. Sorry we have to do this, I've gotten carried away, and this is why we can't have nice things.

I would recommend that folks who normally participate in this kind of thing should dial it back a bit for the time being

Sorry for the trouble. To the 99.99% of you that this doesn't apply to, carry on

2010-11-01 04:09:33 PM
Reddit's population doesn't seem too butthurt about it. The focus seems to be "We did a really good thing for kids, and now we probably get an AMA with Colbert."

So, in short: ಠ_ಠ

2010-11-01 04:09:33 PM
Macinfarker: No shiat, Drew? You farking COMPLAINED TO FOX NEWS?

Wow...this is the first time in 8 years I'm actually thinking of ditching your site.

Why don't you just blow them for a $2M contract like the guy from NPR? Why stop at just pissing and moaning?

WTF DUDE?

What the hell? Man I'm half tempted to spend my days actually working now and not wasting anymore time here.

What a baby.

2010-11-01 04:09:38 PM

Link (new window)

It's scary to think that there are quite likely some farkers who actually work for fox news.

2010-11-01 04:09:38 PM
Time for the Walk of Shame.

2010-11-01 04:09:45 PM
Macinfarker: No shiat, Drew? You farking COMPLAINED TO FOX NEWS?

WTF DUDE?

Just for the record... I'd totally blow them for $2M a year. Totally.

Maybe even twice.

2010-11-01 04:09:52 PM
JW: ... uh, wtf, Drew?

Q: "Hi I'm from Reddit"

Colbert: Reddit did an awesome job, thanks for the donation, it was hugely significant, a half a million, great job.

Q: "Oh, thanks. What role did the internet have in convincing you to hold the rally."

Stewart: "uh, well, none actually, I mean, we had the idea and even had paperwork in long before it started up online"

Colbert: "yeah, we were in before you guys were on, but once you guys were on it was a great validation of the whole thing, it made us feel like we weren't crazy."

Stewart: "yeah, exactly, it didn't hurt" (obviously joking)

... This is an insult? Really?

What crawdaddy said. The question was specifically "did our efforts convince you to hold the rally" and the answer was an honest, well, no we were going to do it anyhow but we were really happy with the way it immediately got picked up once word got out.

How is that a slight? Man it seemed genuinely appreciative to me, and Colbert even seemed humbled by the donation bit.

Thank you, JW. My sentiments EXACTLY.

2010-11-01 04:09:57 PM
ultraholland: ThreeEdgedSword

i789.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:10:04 PM

Link (new window)

Holy crap. That coupled with the tripe this guy calls a book... priceless. You sure have this whole news media/internet/social interaction thing figured out, Drew.

2010-11-01 04:10:05 PM
"Someone didn't give my BFF credit for making some posts in the Internets."

Cry me a farking river.

i54.tinypic.com

2010-11-01 04:10:09 PM
Kitwilly: somebody sponsor me.

hahahahaha

2010-11-01 04:10:11 PM
This is the best plan in the history of EVER for ridding an internet site of politicking douchebags.

You GO Drew!

2010-11-01 04:10:13 PM
cackylacky: You know, it's just polite to say thank you when people help you. Even if it's just a little bit of help, a warm and heartfelt thank you isn't too much to ask and people are much more willing to help you the next time. I think that was Drew's point, and it's a point that anyone interested in social change and organizing people around an idea should pay close attention to. Ignore social niceties at your peril.

The Internet: It's made of PEOPLE!!

Is that why it tastes so delicious?

2010-11-01 04:10:18 PM
i54.tinypic.com

2010-11-01 04:10:28 PM

Link (new window)

Did Drew write that? Drew, please confirm you did not write that.

2010-11-01 04:10:37 PM
I'm reserving my opinion on this until Scott Wampler from examiner.com posts about it.

2010-11-01 04:10:37 PM
CynicalLA: STFU and DIAF: FoxNews supports you Drew. That right there should tell you how wrong you are.

Link (new window)

I bet they had the story before he posted his whine.

I think you're right.

FTFNA: "Curtis told FoxNews.com that the snub was hard to understand."

Sounds like Drew went all biatchy whiny to Fox News, then posted his Fark Blog.

2010-11-01 04:10:47 PM
Dear Reddit:

You're welcome.

2010-11-01 04:10:48 PM
Kitwilly: somebody sponsor me.

you farking whore we are in this together, is this about my new job?!

I can quit.

2010-11-01 04:10:51 PM
JerseyTim: By the by, how long before Fox News picks up the "Reddit scorned!" story and runs with it?

From the story:

Curtis is now demanding that Jon Stewart give Ohanian and Reddit a formal apology, and he warned that Internet communities could very well pull future support if the Daily Show host didn't right his alleged wrongs.

If not, Stewart may make the Farkers mad. And he may not like what they turn into.

Except it seems as though Fark does not support Drew on this one. We're not like Glenn Beck viewers willing to follow Drew on any derp fueled tirade he tells us to.

2010-11-01 04:10:51 PM
I've never heard of Reddit. Is it a web site or something?

2010-11-01 04:10:57 PM
Dear Drew,

You are much cooler than this. You don't need overt thanks to continue what you do and, honestly, Reddit shouldn't either. I', surprised that the Reddit guy took offense (if he did?). Moreover, Reddit and Fark (the companies, sites, or whatever) didn't do much. The communities of people who inhabit (in the internet way) the sites did. The people, facilitated by the sites, got the word out. The people made a big deal of it.

Now that's not to diminish your effect on the people, but when you say what you've said, I can't help but equate you to some politician on stage with other politicians proclaiming, "We've decreased high school drop-out rates by 85%" and expecting he and his cabinet to get praise... when 95% of the actual work was done by teachers and low-level school administration.

Fark rocks. In fact, it STILL rocks. However, do not confuse the power of the community in Fark with Fark itself. Praise be the Fark community. Thanks be to Drew for Fark. Salute be to Stewart and Colbert.

I don't think Stewart/Colbert need to give an apology. I don't think you do either. You don't need to take anything back. No one was slighted and this is still technically your blog so you can do whatever the hell you want. Never post on the topic again? Post in 5 minutes? It's your choice... but it's also your choice to allow everyone to disagree with you (sometimes quite violently) and for that, I'm thankful.

2010-11-01 04:11:06 PM
This the best part (new window)

2010-11-01 04:11:06 PM
27.media.tumblr.com

2010-11-01 04:11:15 PM
i4.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 04:11:22 PM
bulldg4life: TECHNOLOGY

Jon Stewart Slaps the Internet in the Face
Published November 01, 2010 | FoxNews.com
Print Email Share Comments (1) Text Size

AP
In this Oct. 2, 2010 file photo, Stephen Colbert, left, and Jon Stewart appear on stage at Comedy Central's 'Night Of Too Many Stars: An Overbooked Concert For Autism Education' at the Beacon Theatre in New York.
Don't make Fark angry, Jon Stewart. You wouldn't like Fark when it's angry. But unfortunately, it may already be too late.

Fark.com founder Drew Curtis is incensed that Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert haven't given the online community due credit for the success of the Rally to Restore Sanity.

The rally, co-hosted by the Comedy Central comedians, drew a crowd estimated at 250,000 this past Saturday on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. -- a crowd inspired and fueled by community activism on Fark.com and online bookmarking site Reddit. Yet when Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian asked Stewart what role the Internet played in convincing him to hold the rally, the response was clear: "it didn't hurt."

Curtis told FoxNews.com that the snub was hard to understand.

"It's not that credit is deserved, it just doesn't make any sense that it's not there," he said.

Yet Colbert similarly abstained from giving the Internet credit for the massive turnout when he thanked users for the half million dollars raised for charity.

"It didn't affect attendance one way or the other," Colbert said. Curtis was so upset by the comments that he submitted an open letter to Fark.com, lambasting what he considered "backhanded compliments" by the comedy duo.

"Did you hear that Reddit? All that work you put into getting the word out, organizing meetups, and convincing people to go 'didn't hurt,'" mocked Curtis in the letter. "You had no role in [the massive turnout] either: It was all Comedy Central, all the way."

A publicist for Stewart and Colbert did not immediately reply to a FoxNews.com request for comment.

It could be indicative of the persistent mainstream dismissal of the Internet's impact, but Curtis explained to FoxNews.com that most parties simply aren't aware -- Reddit included. "Had the mainstream media, who got eviscerated at the rally, jumped on it, it would be a different story."

Curtis conceded that the success of the rally isn't entirely due to Reddit or Fark, yet he feels Stewart's comments were inappropriate. "This is about common courtesy," he wrote. "If someone does you a favor, a thank you is a kind and appropriate response." Instead, Curtis feels Stewart's slight was a "slap in the face."

Stewart also stated that Comedy Central had the idea for the rally months before Reddit did -- which Curtis attributes to a guilty conscience. He wrote, "who thought of it first doesn't matter, it is impossible to deny Reddit's actions encouraged Comedy Central to pull the trigger."

--------------
Aww, you got a nice little whiny article on Fox News to go with your biatching.

Congratulations, Drew. You wrote a book about idiocy in the media and now you have completed the process to become just another part.

This. I am disappoint.

2010-11-01 04:11:23 PM

Link (new window)

That is farking DAMNING.

2010-11-01 04:11:23 PM
ThreeEdgedSword: ultraholland: ThreeEdgedSword

kreations.kaptainmyke.com

/What a month that was to be sponsored.

2010-11-01 04:11:30 PM
i54.tinypic.com

/the internet was there

2010-11-01 04:11:36 PM
Kitwilly: somebody sponsor me.

hehe

2010-11-01 04:11:38 PM
@uncletogie

I cannot take it too seriously when all you have is Peewee Hermanesque comebacks.

@Sticky Hands

Despite the face value of your response being a negatively tinged one, the sarcasm beneath it validates my point.

It is always weird to see another logical person here.

@mcsiegs

You cannot be serious. Have the wounds from my verbal .44 even had a chance to scar over?

2010-11-01 04:11:52 PM
Wendy's Chili: You called it picture

So, you got confirmation of something completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. Made your day, didn't it?

Glad I could help.

2010-11-01 04:11:57 PM
iggyfenton: people here are all losing respect for you in the process.

Honestly, though, I respect that he shares opinions that may not be popular just like the rest of us. We can respectfully disagree with him.

Although, if you are going to the Las Vegas party, just buy him a beer and steal $5 from his wallet.

2010-11-01 04:11:58 PM
I went to the rally and the internet had absolutely zero influence on my decision attend. They announced it on The Daily Show and I booked my hotel two days later.

I'm not understanding the outrage here.

2010-11-01 04:12:02 PM
Dude you cried to Fox News?
/You jumped the shark,beat it to death and then had sex with its corpse.