Jon Stewart to Reddit: you don't matter
Posted by Drew at 2010-11-01 2:41:26 PM, edited 2010-11-01 4:13:48 PM (5884 comments) | Permalink

55520 clicks; posted to Main » on 01 Nov 2010 at 5:11 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Backstory: Reddit has been pushing support for the Stewart/Colbert rally since its inception, possibly since before its inception.

At the Rally For Sanity press conference on Saturday, Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit, asked Stewart and Colbert a question: what role did the Internet play in convincing you to hold this rally? The response: "it didn't hurt."

Question at around 1:40
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-and-stephen-colbert-hold-post-rally-to- re store-sanity-press-conference/

Did you hear that Reddit? All that work you put into getting the word out, organizing meetups, and convincing people to go "didn't hurt". All that initial support in getting the ball rolling on this rally a few months back was great, but it wasn't a factor. Thanks for your meaningless and futile support that Comedy Central really didn't need at the end of the day to get a surprise crowd of 250,000 people to the rally. Did you hear that Internet? You had no role in this either, it was all Comedy Central all the way.

Colbert doesn't get a pass on this either, his "thanks Reddit for raising half a million dollars for our charity but it didn't affect attendence one way or the other" comment is a backhanded compliment at best.

And to say this all live, in a press conference, to the co-founder of a community of millions that did everything in its power to get the word out past its own readers to the greater internet, that is flat out disrespectful and wrong. Alexis is a friend of mine, and he's a super nice guy. He would never dream of saying this to Jon Stewart but I will: you owe Alexis an apology and you owe Reddit an apology. I'll stop short at saying you owe The Internet an apology because honestly I think The Internet owes us all an apology for a number of things, Justin Bieber notwithstanding.

In the clip you'll notice Stewart uses part of his answer to Alexis' question to make the point that Comedy Central had the idea for this rally "months" before Reddit did. Which is really odd considering Alexis didn't ask or imply that Reddit gave Comedy Central the idea for the rally in the first place. Sounds like someone feels a litle guilty about something. Who thought of it first doesn't matter, it is impossible to deny that Reddit's actions encouraged Comedy Central to actually pull the trigger. Except Stewart did, right to Alexis Ohanian's face, in a live press conference.

Why am I so bent about this? First and foremost, because a friend of mine got smacked down on live TV by a guy he helped, and I can't stand by and do nothing about it without at least saying something. But also because Daily Show writers have been doing essentially the same thing to me, every single day for the past 10 years. They use Fark every day to source material, and haven't mentioned Fark on air even one single time. It's the same attitude toward Reddit: "sure doesn't hurt, but not a significant contribution." Thanks to Fark, your writers don't have to go far to fill your shows up with material for you to use. Every writer I've met thanks me vociferously for Fark and tells me how much easier it makes their jobs. Sure that's not worth a daily mention, but I would think at least one in the last 10 years. It has yet to happen. I've learned to live with it, but Alexis is my friend and he does not deserve this kind of treatment. Especially considering the effort Reddit put into promoting the rally.

I'm not implying they owe Reddit or Fark any credit for the success of the Rally, that's definitely not the case. Comedy Central did the bulk of the work, that can't be disputed. This is about common courtesy. If someone does you a favor, a thank you is a kind and appropriate response. In Reddit's case, "it doesn't hurt" is a slap in the face. It discounts all the effort they went through - and they went through a lot. And they weren't the only ones, several other large web communities pitched in as well.

Here's my proposal: Jon Stewart should apologize for discounting the impact that Reddit and other Internet communities had on this rally, or next time The Internet should remember Comedy Central thinks they don't count and should show them what happens when "The Internet" actively works to convince people to not attend. Because if Reddit had put similar effort into convincing people not to attend, the crowd size would have been far smaller than anticipated. And if you don't believe me, let's see how it goes next time if Stewart makes the wrong decision.

PS: pretty sure this post will guarantee that I and/or Fark never get a mention on The Daily Show but that wasn't happening anyhow.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | » | Last

2010-11-01 03:47:05 PM
Here's a few responses to a bunch of separate comments:

- Drew's butthurt

No, I'm angry that a friend got snubbed in public at a press conference by someone he respects and admires, and recently helped. Insert Your Mom joke here

- There's no way credit can be given to every website on the Internet for everything it does

Correct. However when someone is standing right in front of you and you know they helped, it's a damn good time to mention it. Or say nothing. Not "it didn't hurt". No one owes anyone a hat tip, but that right there was a dick move in my opinion

- Stewart didn't mean to slight Reddit

Possibly not, but in my opinion, he did.

- Stewart was kidding when he said what he said

If he did, then I'm way off base. If I'm wrong I'll absolutely own up to it. As of right now, I'm not wrong.

2010-11-01 03:47:21 PM
eyehate: Vanity blogs are as silly as phallic farm animals.

The f*ck man?

2010-11-01 03:47:25 PM
I'd offer you some cheese to go with this blog, Drew, but I think Reddit needs it more.

2010-11-01 03:47:25 PM
WTF is Reddit?

/seriously

2010-11-01 03:47:41 PM
Oh yah, because one of the best things these two could have done during this calling for saner political discourse is high five farking fark.com; home of the politics tab and the drooling hordes of trolls that thrive within it. Its an embarrassment and no wonder they've never made any effort to associate themselves with that gaping sore of crap you not only condone but feed to drive the clicks.

As for Reditt, wasn't a thank you and almost a solid minute of air time devoted to talking about reddit's influence farking enough? "PS: pretty sure this post will guarantee that I and/or Fark never get a mention on The Daily Show but that wasn't happening anyhow" ...pretty sure about that too, but not for the reasons you think it'll never happen.

2010-11-01 03:47:45 PM
it wasn't reddit or fark or digg or Huffpost (well actually Arianna did contribute quite a bit) but the people who patronize these sites who were the heroes.

and remember. true acts of philanthropy are their own reward and one shouldn't feel a need for accolades.

2010-11-01 03:47:52 PM
This is like not thanking the post office if your ponzi scheme is incredibly successful.

In no way was the post office responsible. It would have happened anyway, there's always UPS.

2010-11-01 03:47:55 PM
too-old: Wow, you people sure do talk a lot

I find mime and smoke signals to be very ineffective on the internets.

2010-11-01 03:48:04 PM
Joliet_Jake Quote 2010-11-01 03:34:11 PM
wall-o-words

*snerk*

Well done!

2010-11-01 03:48:14 PM
Joliet_Jake FTW!

2010-11-01 03:48:17 PM
So this "reddit" guy (whatever that is) wants Stewart and Colbert to kiss his ass on TV, and when they decline to do, he gets all bent out of shape?

Pfft.

Got over yourself.

2010-11-01 03:48:39 PM
I seriously had never even heard of reddit until this blog entry. :(

2010-11-01 03:48:50 PM
Priapetic: Done in one. And with this post, did Fark just:

Sure feels like it. I've gone from directly giving this fool money to access his site ad-free (those days are long gone), to thinking he's a huge twat who has always benefited freely by the work and humor of others.

2010-11-01 03:48:59 PM

2010-11-01 03:49:14 PM
Frank and Beans: WTF is Reddit?

It's what used to be called Digg

2010-11-01 03:49:20 PM
Pontius Pilates Class: I do not consider it whining on my part so much as pissing on your head and laughing while you are trapped in a hole and whining about the guy who dug it.

Today you learned something, chief. I suggest you take it to heart.

Wait, wait... First you're a mirror and now you're on top of this hole, urinating.

Now, given the logistical challenges of us seeing ourselves in your mirror-ness, I can only surmise you're one of those fancy mirrors with central hinge device, allowing you to rotate into a downward position giving us a view of your reflective surface.

Of course, that raises the question of a light source. But I suppose we can assume one or two point lights near the hole and to either side of your base support - that should give us ample illumination.

Fine, now where were we... ok, so you're a mirror tilted downwards at the rim of this hole, and you're *also* capable of urinating and laughing. Quite remarkable really. I mean, outside of clumsily mismatched metaphors, I don't know that I've ever encountered such a device/creature/whatever you are.

So now, on to my follow up question - is this hole lined, such as with a metal or ceramic, or is it a plain earthen hole?

2010-11-01 03:49:24 PM
Dranar: Joliet_Jake: Backstory: Fark.com has been using community support to provide headlines and search out news stories since it became popular.

On the FarkBlog at Fark.com, Drew Curtis, the founder of Fark.com, asserted that founding a community (or being the friend of someone who founded a community) gave you the right to express offense on behalf of that group. During the long and rambling tirade, not once did Drew Curtis mention the thousands of people who contribute to his site each and every day. The people who drive comments, search the internet for bizarre and funny news stories, and come up with amusing headlines to drive traffic to the website.

Did you hear that, Fark community? All that work you do to make his website a success means nothing to Drew Curtis. All your support means nothing, because Drew Curtis is the absolute arbiter of what is and is not offensive to the internet, or to his community. Even further, Drew Curtis is allowed to express offense on behalf of websites in which he has absolutely no official participation! That means that his non-involvement is actually more meaningful than those of you who actually participate at Reddit!

Now, the Fark.com community is a friend of mine, and you can tell from my ID number that I have been on this website for a very long time. Drew Curtis' omission of the Fark.com community is disrespectful and out of line. He uses our material each and every day to drive page-views and ad-revenue to live a lifestyle most of us would be grateful to have.

While Jon Stewart expressed an understated compliment to the people of Reddit and explained why their impact wasn't as larged as might have been perceived, Drew Curtis did something much worse. While pointing out the impact that his website has had toward media outlets (a claim which he neglected to back up with any real facts) he did not once mention that all of his site's success derives from the user-base. A user-base which has provided him with a lifestyle that allows him to get outraged at a perceived slight of one of his friends.

Here's my proposal: Drew Curtis should apologize for discounting the impact that his userbase has had on his website, or next time, the Fark.com userbase should stop contributing. Maybe if Drew Curtis was reminded that the life he leads is funded and financed by the community which he has callously abused, he might do what he can to restore truth to the headlines, particularly in the Politics tab.

PS: pretty sure I'm not going to get a response from Drew on this, but that wasn't happening anyway

A big heaping helpin' of this.

/Well done.

I vaguely remember seeing him on a morning talk show talking about Web 2.0 and how his entire success was based on his users interacting on the web in the framework he had given them.

/seemed pretty humble to me and thankful to his users to me

2010-11-01 03:49:26 PM
What a joke, Drew. Get off your high horse and go moderate the politics tab.

While you're busy professing the honor and integrity needed from some comedians, your website has become whored out to half a dozen different companies while you intentionally troll with political threads and allow alternate accounts to troll the user base because it drives up page views and ad revenue.

You lost my $5/month when I wasn't getting sponsored because of the above...now you're bordering on losing my page views because of this thread.

2010-11-01 03:49:29 PM
This thread is hilarious.

2010-11-01 03:49:38 PM
Drew: Here's a few responses to a bunch of separate comments:

- Drew's butthurt

- Stewart didn't mean to slight Reddit

Possibly not, but in my opinion, he did.

- Stewart was kidding when he said what he said

Well, it wasn't a troll.

courceyrovers.tripod.com

2010-11-01 03:49:46 PM
Anti_illuminati: eyehate: Vanity blogs are as silly as phallic farm animals.

The f*ck man?

Ditto man.... ditto

/Jesus...

2010-11-01 03:49:54 PM
Ummm, Drew? I don't really care.

2010-11-01 03:49:56 PM
Drew: As of right now, I'm not wrong.

Yes, you are, bro. Read the transcript, watch the video...there was no snub. You're getting all hot and bothered over nothing.

2010-11-01 03:49:57 PM
Stewart comes across rough.
Colbert is awesome.
Fark makes buttloads of money.

Don't like people ripping off the open product of Fark that is USER generated?

Make it a private application with subscription service ONLY and make up your own witty headlines for the mainstream entities to steal access for their subscription fee...

Never been to reddit's website, ever.

2010-11-01 03:50:00 PM
Drew: Here's a few responses to a bunch of separate comments:

- Drew's butthurt

- Stewart didn't mean to slight Reddit

Possibly not, but in my opinion, he did.

- Stewart was kidding when he said what he said

But you mis-characterized the insult turning it into something it wasn't. Why won't you address that?

2010-11-01 03:50:00 PM
Drew: Here's a few responses to a bunch of separate comments:

- Drew's butthurt

- Stewart didn't mean to slight Reddit

Possibly not, but in my opinion, he did.

- Stewart was kidding when he said what he said

If I where your attorney I would have advised against posting this.

2010-11-01 03:50:05 PM
It would be nice to get a fruit basket once in a while.

2010-11-01 03:50:11 PM
hahahahahahaha

butthurt

2010-11-01 03:50:12 PM
Butthurt, party of one.

2010-11-01 03:50:26 PM
That's okay Drew,at least WKYT mentions you in the morning
/Why are you so butthurt about this?

2010-11-01 03:50:52 PM
YoMammaObama: "I am outraged that I didn't come out of the closet at the rally. Outraged! Do I report this to Reddit or Drew, or should I just keep crying?!?!? I'm so confused!"

It is OCD. He sees a thread that involves Colbert he has to say Colbert is gay.

2010-11-01 03:51:13 PM
brigid_fitch: Link to TFV: Skip to 1:48 where Colbert says, "Hey, Reddit--nice to see you. Hey, thanks so much for getting to half a million dollars at Donors Choose. Reddit did a donation push to kind of encourage us to do a rally."

In answer to Alexis Ohanian's question of what role the internet played, yes, Colbert & Stewart both say it was planned for months before they saw it pop up on the internet. But again make it clear that they appreciated Reddit's efforts & were glad to see that fans of the show liked the idea of a rally.

Colbert (@ 1:59): "It was a really nice reinforcement..."
Stewart: "Didn't hoit"
Colbert: "No, it didn't hurt. It was a...really nice validation of what we were thinking about doing."

Where's this backhanded compliment, Drew? Seemed to me Colbert at least leapt at the opportunity to thank Ohanian for all of Reddit's help with Donors Choose. But then Alex asked how THE INTERNET, not just Reddit, played a part & their answer was that it merely underscored what they already thought & were happy to see it.

I watched Ohanian's part of the video a few times (had to, in order to transcribe it) and I don't see where the outrage is coming from. I suggest you watch it again.

My timeline:
1) Drew makes post, seems angry/offended, I pay attention.
2) I read the article, I watch the interview. I note Colbert saying,"Hey, thanks so much for getting to half a million dollars at Donors Choose..." immediately after the guy from Reddit introduces himself.
3) I pause the video.
4) I do a search in the Fark thread for the Colbert quote to see how long it took for someone to note that Drew may be over-reacting.
5) I finish the video, re-read Drew's post and son, I am disappoint. Drews calls for an apology? Oh come now... don't jump the shark, homie. Don't become one of "them".

2010-11-01 03:51:21 PM
assets.unclutterer.com

2010-11-01 03:51:34 PM
Drew: Here's a few responses to a bunch of separate comments:

- Drew's butthurt

- Stewart didn't mean to slight Reddit

Possibly not, but in my opinion, he did.

- Stewart was kidding when he said what he said

You still don't get it, do you? You're not as important as you feel you are, your buddy is not that important either. You may have helped, but you didn't help in the same way the paid sponsor did, so basically, you didn't hurt. What the man said.

Thinking you play a more important role than you actually do is the mark of the media you've published and gotten paid to rail against. Quit being so meta, Drew.

2010-11-01 03:51:49 PM
eyehate: Vanity blogs are as silly as phallic farm animals.

I was just going to state that this whole thing reads like Animal Farm.

2010-11-01 03:51:55 PM
FuturePastNow: Frank and Beans: WTF is Reddit?

It's what used to be called Digg

What's "Digg"?

2010-11-01 03:52:08 PM
likes838: Did Drew write this?

That's actually my immediate response having read it.

2010-11-01 03:52:23 PM
TheKnownUniverse: I just deleted EVERYTHING IN THE FARK BLOG QUEUE. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE IT'S MONDAY AFTERNOON IN MY OWN TIMEZONE GET OUT AND NOT BE BUTTHURT

LULZ

But really, seriously. Seriously. It's okay. Let me tell you a story, Drew.

I used to do theatrical tech. For years, in fact. I remember the first year I stage managed - for two months I was there for hours a day, assigning crew members to each shift, adjusting timings, teaching people how to do things. Then 5 days before the show, the girl who had been sitting at the light board with the TD came back stage, put on a headset, and started giving ordered. She was billed as the Stage Manager in the program, and I was tossed in with a paragraph of names as "tech."

But you know what? It gets better, Drew. It does. One day, you'll look back and say, "hey, it's not about the accolades, it's about doing something damned decent here and there."

And on that day, your butt will hurt a lot less, I'm sure of it.

/Capital tale, chap.

2010-11-01 03:52:37 PM
I'm calmly waiting for Drew to respond to the criticism.

Drew?

There's some very strong feedback to your post and I believe you should respond to it; otherwise your point is going to be lost since so many people seem to be missing it.

2010-11-01 03:52:49 PM
Drew: Here's a few responses to a bunch of separate comments:

- Drew's butthurt

- Stewart didn't mean to slight Reddit

Possibly not, but in my opinion, he did.

- Stewart was kidding when he said what he said

Nope, still wrong and now add petty.

2010-11-01 03:52:49 PM
BreezyWheeze: 10/10.

Faux-outrage from a guy who's life's work is mocking the faux-outrage of the media.

I hope, very much, that you are right. Even then, it comes off just a little biatchildish. If it's genuine:

i.imgur.com

jbc [TotalFark]
2010-11-01 03:52:52 PM
JW: This is an insult? Really?

THIS!!!!!

Alexis fishing for a compliment is far tackier than anything Stewart or Colbert said or didn't say. You're wrong here Drew.

2010-11-01 03:52:55 PM
ghostfart: Yeah, it's pretty farked up not to thank those that help support and rally together people for an event. Stewart has a bit of an ego, and I'm sure he really feels that he just had to show up and the crowds would fall at his feet. He needs to be called out on this, but I doubt if an apology is forthcoming.

I'm sure you weren't like that when you had your TV show. So what was Tinky Winky like in real life?

2010-11-01 03:53:03 PM
@ryarger

The very first thing people with weak arguments learn to do is distract from their own failings. Exhibit A, your most recent post directed to me.

I do hate seeing people bury themselves like this, but sometimes it is the only way to teach them not to.

2010-11-01 03:53:15 PM
Hector Remarkable: It would be nice to get a fruit basket once in a while.

Or maybe a nice hot chocolate sampler, amirite?

2010-11-01 03:53:21 PM
This is a great example of what positive energy could have done to stop negative energy from snowballing.

There could have been a response of:

"It helped" or even "it was a positive", if Stewart and Baby Bear wanted to still keep the credit firmly where they believed it belonged - in the TV medium.

While the internets really wanted kudos here, one positive word would have probably diffused what was created with two negatives words; which spawned a negative blog; which created a negative thread of posts.

It requires a thoughtfull person to routinely express things optimistically.

+ > -

2010-11-01 03:53:46 PM
Drew - I say this will all due respect.

Has the growth of your website gotten too much for you? I mean, I listen to a radio station that blatantly reads Fark headlines daily. You never get credit. This site is ubiquitous now. I mean, even my grandfather knows about this place and visits it.
Is it time to cash out?

2010-11-01 03:53:49 PM
Holy crap there's a lot of people here hating on the FARK.

You are aware that broadcast media steals Drew's shiat on a daily basis, yes? OK, so Drew technically gets it for free, but still, that's a lot of hate for someone that's taking the moral high road.

2010-11-01 03:54:00 PM
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON
Don't forget to bring a towel.
\O/
/\

2010-11-01 03:54:02 PM
WOOOOOOO, I totally nailed the "Jesus was a space alien". Someone make a thing with a picture of it with text underneath it and post it in perpetuity whenever anyone does a thing online.