Jon Stewart to Reddit: you don't matter
Posted by Drew at 2010-11-01 2:41:26 PM, edited 2010-11-01 4:13:48 PM (5884 comments) | Permalink

55502 clicks; posted to Main » on 01 Nov 2010 at 5:11 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Backstory: Reddit has been pushing support for the Stewart/Colbert rally since its inception, possibly since before its inception.

At the Rally For Sanity press conference on Saturday, Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit, asked Stewart and Colbert a question: what role did the Internet play in convincing you to hold this rally? The response: "it didn't hurt."

Question at around 1:40
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-and-stephen-colbert-hold-post-rally-to- re store-sanity-press-conference/

Did you hear that Reddit? All that work you put into getting the word out, organizing meetups, and convincing people to go "didn't hurt". All that initial support in getting the ball rolling on this rally a few months back was great, but it wasn't a factor. Thanks for your meaningless and futile support that Comedy Central really didn't need at the end of the day to get a surprise crowd of 250,000 people to the rally. Did you hear that Internet? You had no role in this either, it was all Comedy Central all the way.

Colbert doesn't get a pass on this either, his "thanks Reddit for raising half a million dollars for our charity but it didn't affect attendence one way or the other" comment is a backhanded compliment at best.

And to say this all live, in a press conference, to the co-founder of a community of millions that did everything in its power to get the word out past its own readers to the greater internet, that is flat out disrespectful and wrong. Alexis is a friend of mine, and he's a super nice guy. He would never dream of saying this to Jon Stewart but I will: you owe Alexis an apology and you owe Reddit an apology. I'll stop short at saying you owe The Internet an apology because honestly I think The Internet owes us all an apology for a number of things, Justin Bieber notwithstanding.

In the clip you'll notice Stewart uses part of his answer to Alexis' question to make the point that Comedy Central had the idea for this rally "months" before Reddit did. Which is really odd considering Alexis didn't ask or imply that Reddit gave Comedy Central the idea for the rally in the first place. Sounds like someone feels a litle guilty about something. Who thought of it first doesn't matter, it is impossible to deny that Reddit's actions encouraged Comedy Central to actually pull the trigger. Except Stewart did, right to Alexis Ohanian's face, in a live press conference.

Why am I so bent about this? First and foremost, because a friend of mine got smacked down on live TV by a guy he helped, and I can't stand by and do nothing about it without at least saying something. But also because Daily Show writers have been doing essentially the same thing to me, every single day for the past 10 years. They use Fark every day to source material, and haven't mentioned Fark on air even one single time. It's the same attitude toward Reddit: "sure doesn't hurt, but not a significant contribution." Thanks to Fark, your writers don't have to go far to fill your shows up with material for you to use. Every writer I've met thanks me vociferously for Fark and tells me how much easier it makes their jobs. Sure that's not worth a daily mention, but I would think at least one in the last 10 years. It has yet to happen. I've learned to live with it, but Alexis is my friend and he does not deserve this kind of treatment. Especially considering the effort Reddit put into promoting the rally.

I'm not implying they owe Reddit or Fark any credit for the success of the Rally, that's definitely not the case. Comedy Central did the bulk of the work, that can't be disputed. This is about common courtesy. If someone does you a favor, a thank you is a kind and appropriate response. In Reddit's case, "it doesn't hurt" is a slap in the face. It discounts all the effort they went through - and they went through a lot. And they weren't the only ones, several other large web communities pitched in as well.

Here's my proposal: Jon Stewart should apologize for discounting the impact that Reddit and other Internet communities had on this rally, or next time The Internet should remember Comedy Central thinks they don't count and should show them what happens when "The Internet" actively works to convince people to not attend. Because if Reddit had put similar effort into convincing people not to attend, the crowd size would have been far smaller than anticipated. And if you don't believe me, let's see how it goes next time if Stewart makes the wrong decision.

PS: pretty sure this post will guarantee that I and/or Fark never get a mention on The Daily Show but that wasn't happening anyhow.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | » | Last

2010-11-01 03:34:51 PM
www.dvorak.org

2010-11-01 03:35:23 PM
I read the blog and haven't read a single post.

Judging by the count, I'd say Drew's trollbait went over very, very well.

2010-11-01 03:35:42 PM
Sooooooo... Drew goes insane two days after the Rally to Restore Sanity.......... TROLL

2010-11-01 03:36:01 PM
@ryarger

I do not consider it whining on my part so much as pissing on your head and laughing while you are trapped in a hole and whining about the guy who dug it.

Today you learned something, chief. I suggest you take it to heart.

2010-11-01 03:36:20 PM
I can hear the headline on FOX now: 'Internet communities up in arms about being snubbed by Jon Stewart in the interview following the rally. Is he the next celebrity news host to get the axe? Tune in for more...'

/ i am sure their headline will be far more interesting and amusing.

2010-11-01 03:36:28 PM
There's only one thing to do. We all have to immediately stop posting our thoughts to the internet, in protest of this horrible infringement. In fact, we should also stop thinking funny things, in case someone can mine our brains. I have heard of such technology.

Ok, after you. I'll be here, drumming up support for an internet boycott.

2010-11-01 03:36:55 PM
i feel drew is correct in his feelings about the way that he was treated
i mean personally i feel that i have not been extended the appreciation that i am owed
i have told three or four of my friends about fark and i clicked on one of farks pop up ads one time on accident at work
and after all this grassroots support of fark and its community how does drew acknowledge me
HE DOESNT
AND I THINK HE SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES
I AM AWAITING YOUR RECOGNTION DREW

2010-11-01 03:37:51 PM
Ok, I watched the video of it and have come to the conclusion that there is no outrage here at all.

He asked what impact they had upon making it happen and they were told the honest truth. They expected more and to bask in their own self-image glory but found out that was more than a tad unfounded.

"I'm not implying they owe Reddit or Fark any credit for the success of the Rally"

Yes, yes you are. You're expecting them to say "We couldn't have done it without you" when it would have been a lie. If you want to see credit where credit due, then you need to step back and re-evaluate the scale of your participation.

Submitter's arrogance, pompousness, and self-importance are really disappointing to see. It's especially ironic given the message of the rally.

Stop over-reacting. You honestly come off as petulant. You have no claim to their rally as should be obvious. It's like a 4th chair 3rd violin player in an orchestra asking if their playing had inspired the concert. Keep your self-centric world to yourself, please, it's repulsive and disgusting.

2010-11-01 03:37:55 PM
Okay, I can totally understand where you're coming from but, I won't lie, I only heard of this rally through the Colbert Report and the Daily Show. I only saw a bunch of Reddit swag at the rally. I had no idea they were pushing really hard for this rally.

Did Stewart seem slightly dismissive with the Reddit guy? Yes. However, he might not know of the lengths Reddit went to promote this event either. I'm not trying to say that just because I didn't notice, it means that Jon Stewart didn't notice either. I'm just saying, it's certainly possible that he didn't know and so his comment seemed completely appropriate. He also might not have heard his own comment with the same negative tone.

The thing about the DS writers using Fark heavily without crediting Fark definitely would grind my gears too. A little professional courtesy, you know?

I also didn't think Colbert's comment was backhanded. In reality, it felt like he was trying to make a sincerely nice comment in contrast to Stewart's dismissive comment.

I could also just be pole-jockin'. Who knows?

/loved the rally
//love Fark
///love Colbert Report
////love Daily Show
/Slashy

2010-11-01 03:38:02 PM
I submitted this with a better headline.

2010-11-01 03:38:06 PM
www.wekenshop.com

2010-11-01 03:38:11 PM

I wonder what share of my cable payment goes for the comedy channel?

2010-11-01 03:38:11 PM
I never thought Sober Drew would out retard Drunk Drew. One owes an apology to the other.

2010-11-01 03:38:12 PM
Pontius Pilates Class: @ryarger

Today you learned something, chief. I suggest you take it to heart.

I learned that some people do not realize when they're losing. Badly even.

2010-11-01 03:38:18 PM
Congratulations, Drew. I now have you favorited as whiny little biatch.

2010-11-01 03:38:34 PM
@skiptomyloop

Drew does not need your false positivity, slick. You can take that lunacy back to TotalFark Discussion where it belongs.

2010-11-01 03:39:02 PM
I gotta join in with a hearty "Sack the fark up, you pussies."

Oh noes, I feel underappreciated for what I believe was my role in the BLANKDNSGNDGNKIDNgksd to hell with you.

2010-11-01 03:39:18 PM
I have no do in this hunt so here's a demo version of Jiving Sister Fanny from around 1969.

2010-11-01 03:39:37 PM
Oh yeah, that's the ticket. I was just trolling. Y'all fell for it. What saps.

2010-11-01 03:39:47 PM
10/10.

I hope everyone's taking notes.

This is a master lesson in Troll-Fu. Go very short or go very long. When going very long, you must edge *right* up to the reasonable-line, but don't step over it.

Faux-outrage from a guy who's life's work is mocking the faux-outrage of the media.

Brilliant.

2010-11-01 03:39:54 PM
@queezyweezel

I am doing my best to let him know the score, but some people must derive pleasure from being wrong.

2010-11-01 03:39:58 PM
Joliet_Jake: Here's my proposal: Drew Curtis should apologize

Or how about you die in a fiery bowl of dicks.

2010-11-01 03:40:30 PM
Something I find amusing. Farks little 'share this' link doesn't have a Reddit option. Seriously? You're best buds with the guys at Reddit and you don't even give them a 'share' link?

2010-11-01 03:40:44 PM
"Convincing you to hold a rally" is key here.

After Beck's rally, I have to believe that Jon Stewart, Colbert, and the crew at Comedy Central immediately were convinced to look into holding their own. It was obvious. When I heard of the rally, it seemed obvious to me.

2010-11-01 03:40:52 PM
Ringtailed79: You'll get over it.

Done in one. And with this post, did Fark just:

www.eslpod.com

2010-11-01 03:40:58 PM
Donor: Prank Call of Cthulhu: But also because Daily Show writers have been doing essentially the same thing to me, every single day for the past 10 years. They use Fark every day to source material

[citation needed]

I've heard Stewart/Colbert read a Fark headline or two (almost verbatim).

I thought it was primarily Leno.

And wouldn't you blame their writers?

2010-11-01 03:41:18 PM
Springtimefresh: The Cracked people have a similar conniption fit every time a morning "Zoo crew" radio host uses one of their lists with out crediting them for it. And they pay for the content they post.

As anyone who has graded a paper that was copy-pasted from Wikipedia can attest, there is a general entitlement attitude about information (and music, and movies) on the internet. Because it dosent cost the end user anything, people assume that it's free, and prioritize it with the other "free" things in their lives. roads, public education, hotel bibles, coffee shop internet connections, parental love, the right to vote, and any number of things that have a cost that isn't born by it's recipient aren't appreciated except by the people that had to build them. Last I checked, Rupert Murdoc accused you (Fark) and Drudge of eating his lunch without paying.

and it's not going to change. John Steward isn't going to appologise, and we will still watch the Daily show and buy the products and services of his advertisers.

I sympathy, but at least the people mining your load for content that they then sell on TV probably have Total Fark subscriptions. At least you can make money on the internet and keep your clothes on.

If you are implying Fark and Reddit should be paying the sites they link to, I agree.

2010-11-01 03:41:30 PM
Rich Cream: kapaso: Well, at least the Daily show doesn't charge its viewers five bucks a month to create their content and headlines for them.

I wonder what share of my cable payment goes for the comedy channel?

The point-> .

You

2010-11-01 03:41:33 PM
Drew...

Honestly, do you think that Stewart or TDS really have a connection into the deep details of how we "Internet folk" self-organize? They probably didn't have a clue.

TDS and Stewart don't owe us anything, not even a fart in our direction.

The majority of us know it was reddit... Which also got a mentioned shoutout on Colberts show around the time the rally was announced.

I'm thankful to Fark and Reddit for improving MY experience of the rally. The crowd-creature that was the rally was ours...the audience's...not Stewarts. The experience was for us down outside the stage area. That common sense of memes and experience is only for those of us in those subcultures anyway.

2010-11-01 03:41:52 PM
Joliet_Jake: Backstory: Fark.com has been using community support to provide headlines and search out news stories since it became popular.

On the FarkBlog at Fark.com, Drew Curtis, the founder of Fark.com, asserted that founding a community (or being the friend of someone who founded a community) gave you the right to express offense on behalf of that group. During the long and rambling tirade, not once did Drew Curtis mention the thousands of people who contribute to his site each and every day. The people who drive comments, search the internet for bizarre and funny news stories, and come up with amusing headlines to drive traffic to the website.

Did you hear that, Fark community? All that work you do to make his website a success means nothing to Drew Curtis. All your support means nothing, because Drew Curtis is the absolute arbiter of what is and is not offensive to the internet, or to his community. Even further, Drew Curtis is allowed to express offense on behalf of websites in which he has absolutely no official participation! That means that his non-involvement is actually more meaningful than those of you who actually participate at Reddit!

Now, the Fark.com community is a friend of mine, and you can tell from my ID number that I have been on this website for a very long time. Drew Curtis' omission of the Fark.com community is disrespectful and out of line. He uses our material each and every day to drive page-views and ad-revenue to live a lifestyle most of us would be grateful to have.

While Jon Stewart expressed an understated compliment to the people of Reddit and explained why their impact wasn't as larged as might have been perceived, Drew Curtis did something much worse. While pointing out the impact that his website has had toward media outlets (a claim which he neglected to back up with any real facts) he did not once mention that all of his site's success derives from the user-base. A user-base which has provided him with a lifestyle that allows him to get outraged at a perceived slight of one of his friends.

Here's my proposal: Drew Curtis should apologize for discounting the impact that his userbase has had on his website, or next time, the Fark.com userbase should stop contributing. Maybe if Drew Curtis was reminded that the life he leads is funded and financed by the community which he has callously abused, he might do what he can to restore truth to the headlines, particularly in the Politics tab.

PS: pretty sure I'm not going to get a response from Drew on this, but that wasn't happening anyway

A big heaping helpin' of this.

/Well done.

2010-11-01 03:41:54 PM
rikdanger: I submitted this with a better headline.

Ha!

2010-11-01 03:42:01 PM
Joliet_Jake wins!

2010-11-01 03:42:05 PM
Pontius Pilates Class: @queezyweezel

Actually, I was referring to you.

2010-11-01 03:42:13 PM
OregonVet: Joliet_Jake: Here's my proposal: Drew Curtis should apologize

Or how about you die in a fiery bowl of dicks.

Hey hey hey! What have you got against flaming bowls of dicks!?

That scenario might be someones dream "I'm gonna kick the bucket by doing THIS." death!

2010-11-01 03:42:24 PM
As a lurker since 2001, I'm gonna have to say fark you to drew on this. You've been making some pretty shiatty arrogant moves lately. Maybe you should finally admit that this facade is a cover for your alcoholism perhaps. You're kind of lashing out like a problematic drunk lately.

2010-11-01 03:42:41 PM
*upvote* (Loyal redditor here, wishing for once that I could upvote on Fark.)

I had no problem with most of what Stewart and Colbert had to say during the press conference, especially because Ohanian specifically said "don't pander".

But I did find it ironic as hell that they didn't say "thank you" for getting the word out. Sure, reddit didn't do so much of the work. Sure, reddit wasn't everyone in the crowd, or even the bulk of the crowd. But reddit (and Fark) did encourage, organize, support, so actually saying a simple "thank you" would have been reasonable, even "sane". Restoring sanity was also about restoring common courtesy: ironically, at the press conference, they forget to do what they were advocating for, at least when it came to reddit. Oops.

2010-11-01 03:42:56 PM
Pontius Pilates Class: @uncletogie

I do not doubt you have put on the pudge, jack. But I was talking about a psychological mirror.

130 lbs since highschool and holding, Porky!

/ man, that was too easy.

2010-11-01 03:43:03 PM
img1.fark.netDrew Curtis gets PWNED on Fark

2010-11-01 03:43:26 PM
When I read this blog the only thing that I came away with it was something that Reagan said.

"There is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit."

Wise words to think about.

2010-11-01 03:44:28 PM
If a troll isn't funny, is it still a troll?

2010-11-01 03:44:49 PM
*reads blog* Umm...

/ Backs away slowly.

2010-11-01 03:44:50 PM
Drew - You're rant just reaffirmed my decision to become a liter. Shut the fark up and go cry into that big bag of TF'er cash.

2010-11-01 03:44:51 PM
Let's see
1) Start grass-roots media machine for large corporation.
2) Have idea for Anti-Rally. They can be red team, we'll be blue.
3) Put idea on Internet disguised as 'Original, trendy idea from loyal reader.'
4) Take bait.
5) Set hook.
6) OUTRAGE!
7) Take bait.
8) Set hook.

2010-11-01 03:45:08 PM
This sounds like a self-important whine which can really just be summarized by saying:

"The Reddit guy is a friend of mine, an actual friend of mine. I know him, I'm friends with important people. And it really burns my ass that he isn't getting credit for something b/c I want credit for stuff too. If he doesn't get credit for the rally thing, there's no way anyone will recognize meeeeee!"

2010-11-01 03:45:22 PM
ThoughtDancer: *upvote* (Loyal redditor here, wishing for once that I could upvote on Fark.)

I assure you, you were not nearly as important or thank-worthy as you think.

2010-11-01 03:45:35 PM
Talon: This is hilarious coming from a man whose entire income (and I dare say fortune) is derived from absolutely no work of his own.

You link to articles written by other people. Articles that are found and submitted by users with headlines written by users. You even charge people 5 dollars a month for the privilege of seeing all of this user submitted content.

Perspective, Drew. Perspective.

Wow... no love for people that work in IT huh.

Would you say the same thing about Amazon? Selling crap they don't make? Technically all news sites work that way; unless the news agency is out there shooting people so they can write stories (Tomorrow Never Dies).

2010-11-01 03:46:15 PM
@queezyweezel

You can imagine my surprise when I thought you had finally gotten your head on straight.

I'd be disappointed you haven't, but sometimes it is nice to know that the world is the same as you left it.

@uncletogie

Making oneself a fool is always easier than the foolish think.

2010-11-01 03:46:39 PM
Umm... You make a living by profiting from user generated content for which the users get no direct, easily-identifiable recognition from your own main page. Maybe you should start actually being up front and thanking the users personally by name on your own main page before you start whinging all over your own masturbatory efforts and self-aggrandizing. Seriously, you're a news aggregator. Get over it.

2010-11-01 03:46:44 PM
Wendy's Chili: Yzziefrog: Wendy's Chili: if you don't like what he's got to say, you can take your 5 bucks and go play somewhere else. No need to be rude just because you disagree.

I don't pay for this shiat.

Also... you sound fat.

When you say you don't pay for this, do you mean that when you buy your TF you only want stuff that you will like, or that you get other people to sponsor you so you can get access to something you feel is crap?

And, yes, I am fat. What's your point? I also have a sense of propriety that doesn't agree when people sh*t all over something they have no obligation to use, and who enjoy peeing in other people's cornflakes.

2010-11-01 03:46:46 PM
Jesus was a space alien.