Jon Stewart to Reddit: you don't matter
Posted by Drew at 2010-11-01 2:41:26 PM, edited 2010-11-01 4:13:48 PM (5884 comments) | Permalink

55502 clicks; posted to Main » on 01 Nov 2010 at 5:11 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Backstory: Reddit has been pushing support for the Stewart/Colbert rally since its inception, possibly since before its inception.

At the Rally For Sanity press conference on Saturday, Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit, asked Stewart and Colbert a question: what role did the Internet play in convincing you to hold this rally? The response: "it didn't hurt."

Question at around 1:40
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-and-stephen-colbert-hold-post-rally-to- re store-sanity-press-conference/

Did you hear that Reddit? All that work you put into getting the word out, organizing meetups, and convincing people to go "didn't hurt". All that initial support in getting the ball rolling on this rally a few months back was great, but it wasn't a factor. Thanks for your meaningless and futile support that Comedy Central really didn't need at the end of the day to get a surprise crowd of 250,000 people to the rally. Did you hear that Internet? You had no role in this either, it was all Comedy Central all the way.

And to say this all live, in a press conference, to the co-founder of a community of millions that did everything in its power to get the word out past its own readers to the greater internet, that is flat out disrespectful and wrong. Alexis is a friend of mine, and he's a super nice guy. He would never dream of saying this to Jon Stewart but I will: you owe Alexis an apology and you owe Reddit an apology. I'll stop short at saying you owe The Internet an apology because honestly I think The Internet owes us all an apology for a number of things, Justin Bieber notwithstanding.

In the clip you'll notice Stewart uses part of his answer to Alexis' question to make the point that Comedy Central had the idea for this rally "months" before Reddit did. Which is really odd considering Alexis didn't ask or imply that Reddit gave Comedy Central the idea for the rally in the first place. Sounds like someone feels a litle guilty about something. Who thought of it first doesn't matter, it is impossible to deny that Reddit's actions encouraged Comedy Central to actually pull the trigger. Except Stewart did, right to Alexis Ohanian's face, in a live press conference.

Why am I so bent about this? First and foremost, because a friend of mine got smacked down on live TV by a guy he helped, and I can't stand by and do nothing about it without at least saying something. But also because Daily Show writers have been doing essentially the same thing to me, every single day for the past 10 years. They use Fark every day to source material, and haven't mentioned Fark on air even one single time. It's the same attitude toward Reddit: "sure doesn't hurt, but not a significant contribution." Thanks to Fark, your writers don't have to go far to fill your shows up with material for you to use. Every writer I've met thanks me vociferously for Fark and tells me how much easier it makes their jobs. Sure that's not worth a daily mention, but I would think at least one in the last 10 years. It has yet to happen. I've learned to live with it, but Alexis is my friend and he does not deserve this kind of treatment. Especially considering the effort Reddit put into promoting the rally.

I'm not implying they owe Reddit or Fark any credit for the success of the Rally, that's definitely not the case. Comedy Central did the bulk of the work, that can't be disputed. This is about common courtesy. If someone does you a favor, a thank you is a kind and appropriate response. In Reddit's case, "it doesn't hurt" is a slap in the face. It discounts all the effort they went through - and they went through a lot. And they weren't the only ones, several other large web communities pitched in as well.

Here's my proposal: Jon Stewart should apologize for discounting the impact that Reddit and other Internet communities had on this rally, or next time The Internet should remember Comedy Central thinks they don't count and should show them what happens when "The Internet" actively works to convince people to not attend. Because if Reddit had put similar effort into convincing people not to attend, the crowd size would have been far smaller than anticipated. And if you don't believe me, let's see how it goes next time if Stewart makes the wrong decision.

PS: pretty sure this post will guarantee that I and/or Fark never get a mention on The Daily Show but that wasn't happening anyhow.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | » | Last

2010-11-01 03:19:24 PM
This is exactly the kind of stuff that rally was against.

"I'm angry at X"
"If you're angry at X then I'm going to call you all sorts of name instead of using facts to point out your impression may be incorrect"

Wendy's Chili: if you don't like what he's got to say, you can take your 5 bucks and go play somewhere else. No need to be rude just because you disagree.

2010-11-01 03:19:34 PM
Turing_Machine: This is true. The folks at Comedy Central didn't do enough to actually thank the groups that made this the success it was. .

Not trying to troll, but how do you define any rally as a 'success'? I mean, what did it accomplish? Getting 250k people to watch Mythbusters is hardly a success.

2010-11-01 03:19:39 PM

2010-11-01 03:20:12 PM
You know, I think this might be a bit overblown and out of context.

Surely this could not really mean Stewart discounts all his support...think of this rationally.

No reason to get butthurt, but I think some feelings were stepped on.

2010-11-01 03:20:15 PM
queezyweezel:

If only he could get airtime on a wildly popular national TV show...He could even try to air it daily.

Milamber1a:

you know how I know you didn't actually watch the video, or read any of the other comments? Seriously, just siding with Drew just because he's Drew is almost worse than his butthurt blog post.

You know how I know you know not?

2010-11-01 03:20:17 PM
bgddy24601: Every time I see "Reddit" I think of "Read it", that show on public television that had the old man that would draw pictures of the books being read. Does anyone else remember this show? The opening credits had frogs saying "read-it" as if they were saying "ribbit"?

I remember that. Don't remember the name, but I remember watching it in elementary school.

2010-11-01 03:20:20 PM
Um...what? Was I watching the right clip? Because in this one, it seemed that the guys were very complimentary of Reddit and their efforts, and the "didn't hurt" comment seemed jocular.

If anything online increased attendance, it would have to be Facebook / Twitter.

2010-11-01 03:20:21 PM
I love and spend WAY too much time on this site. That being said, that statement really reeks of...unprofessionalism, I dare say. I think you know that, based on how you ended it.

The folk at Reddit/Fark are not employees of Comedy Central and did not actually facilitate the rally (AFAIK). Technically, they're not owed squat.

The crews that actually put together the rally just pulled off of a giant logistic undertaking, which THEY did all the work to complete. While I'm sure they appreciate the advertising assistance they received, they've spent the last several weeks focusing on permits, carpentry, AV, contracts, rehearsals, etc.

I imagine they'll probably spread the kudos around more, once the dust has settled.

2010-11-01 03:20:29 PM
NallTWD: DON'T YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT I AM!? WHARGARRRBLL!!!11!!eleventy

Future Republican in the making?

Spelling is too good. Be a little more reckless.

2010-11-01 03:20:31 PM
those aholes at Ebaums world are to blame for this

2010-11-01 03:20:48 PM
Boo fricking Hoo, Drew.

Boo fricking Hoo.

2010-11-01 03:20:58 PM
Poor little Drew, he gets the money but not the recognition.

2010-11-01 03:21:05 PM
robhare4916: TSD?

Tourette's Syndrome, Drew.

2010-11-01 03:21:09 PM
Does Drew have a 14 year old niece that he let write this for him? I'm embarassed for having read that.

2010-11-01 03:21:11 PM
Pontius Pilates Class: I am the mirror.

there were lines on the mirror

lines on her face.

2010-11-01 03:21:14 PM
Dude... what video were you watching? because there's no way we saw the same video. you make it sound like they dismissed reddit in entirety and acted "who gives a fark"

When he introduced himself from reddit, before he could even ask his question colbert recognizes who redditt was and called them out for their enormous support and the fact that they helped generated half a mill of donations to donors choose. so before he can even ask a question, colbert is heaping praise on him and publiclly thanking him and the people who read his site. yet you don't bother to actually quote colbert, what you say is **"Colbert doesn't get a pass on this either, his "thanks Reddit for raising half a million dollars for our charity but it didn't affect attendence one way or the other" comment is a backhanded compliment at best.** backhanded? how?

then comes the question: how much did the internet factor in you deciding to do this?

stewart answered honestly: he said that the idea had been there for a while. whether or not they actually had committed to the idea in the summer is hard to tell from his answer because he sounded like he was cracking a joke, but colbert then stated that it was great to see that the idea of a rally wasnt so crazy and that it looked like folks would be interested in this, and that it reaffirmed that the diea was good.

the question wasn't "how much did the internet help to put the attendance to where it got" (which seems to be what you think the Q was) but "how much did it influence your decision to do it" those are very different questions yet you cant seem to discern the difference.

no one was insulted here

no one was dismissed or belittled

they were thanked and told their efforts helped convince them they were on the right track.

0/10 dude, but you got me to bite so i guess that was a successful troll.

2010-11-01 03:21:18 PM
farquette: OMG OUTRAGE!

OMG OUTRAGE @ OUTRAGE!

OMG now I'm getting OUTRAGED @ OUTRAGE RE: OUTRAGE!

The Internet feels better if you allow it to be the only thing in life that doesn't piss you off.

Newsletter link, please?

/Damn.

2010-11-01 03:21:37 PM
Snow Monkey: Anti_illuminati: Snow Monkey: Drew does raise a valid point, but it sounds like he may be overstating.

Please, reaffirm the valid point. We'll wait.

How about that is sucks that someone put so much effort into making this a success and got a backhanded 'thanks'?

Is it really hard to understand that Drew is frustrated at the lack of appreciation, kudos, and hell maybe even money from sources that use his creation as the sources of many of the humor that bring them tons of money?

YES, I get it, many of us submit links with those headlines that make FARK such a success, but it's not like Drew is rolling in the dough here.

So many people whine when FARK 'sells' out by posting a plug link or advertisement. If you had an audience of a million people, wouldn't you like to earn some of the cash for the countless hours of entertainment you provide them? Seeing that go to someone else who then doesn't even acknowledge your contribution is like salt in the wound.

Anyways, insult away. :)

Fark Drew, he sold out a long time ago and has become what he used to criticize.

2010-11-01 03:21:44 PM
robhare4916: someguy945: hinten: Now I understand why all Rally related submissions are tossed.

They use Fark every day to source material, and haven't mention Fark on air even one single time.

Also, who posts Daily Show content and links to articles related to the Daily Show almost on a daily basis and benefits from it?

When Fark links to TSD, TSD gets full credit and recognition for it. Everyone who watches the video knows that they are watching TSD, everyone is giving TSD's website a hit, and some will consider becoming regular TSD viewers.

When TSD takes a link they found on Fark, nobody knows except the writer.

TSD?

Texas Schoolbook Depository, I think. I'm having trouble keeping up.

2010-11-01 03:21:58 PM

When TSD takes a link they found on Fark, nobody knows except the writer.

So? The only "writer" involved is the person who thought up the headline. Are you suggesting Fark create some sort of Submitters Guild to make sure we get credit for every one of our headlines that go green?

2010-11-01 03:22:21 PM
To be fair, Reddit doesn't matter.

2010-11-01 03:22:23 PM
It's not Outrage, it's Butthurt.com...

2010-11-01 03:22:29 PM

2010-11-01 03:22:32 PM
Ringtailed79: You'll get over it.

Done in one.

2010-11-01 03:22:48 PM
danaganooc Quote 2010-11-01 02:57:02 PM
Wow, the age old "x steals from Fark". Fark rarely ever hosts original content. Fark is an aggregator. You can't steal material from Fark, since all Fark does is collect its material from the internet. Give it up.

Partially true. However, the comments and the headline are often original, and what make the site so much fun. When I first discovered Fark, I started to realize that my favorite radio show was reading the headlines and select comments verbatim, passing it off as their own wit.

This is a unique forum and deserves some credit, but I would think enormous traffic is validation enough.

2010-11-01 03:23:12 PM
CynicalLA: [Drew] has become what he used to criticize.

A Duke University Blue Devil?

2010-11-01 03:23:22 PM
Bohemian: 1. Someone please buy Drew a beer, he's starting to whine.

This. Much of what Drew is complaining about doesn't seem to be what was actually said, even by Drew's account of things. In fact, "it didn't hurt" seems like a perfectly reasonable tongue-in-cheek way to say "it was a big help," and they seemed pretty gracious in the linked video. They seemed really appreciative of reddit's efforts, which apparently include raising half a million dollars and promoting the crap out of things, but do not include inventing the rally. Blame the guy who asked the silly question.

2010-11-01 03:23:43 PM
jabbedxorz: If this blog post was a little bit smaller, we would have ourselves an excellent pic to use when folks are butthurt.

I don't know if you know of this one program some people use.... It's called Photoshop. There's another one that's even free; it's called GIMP.

2010-11-01 03:24:11 PM
haven't mention Fark on air even one single time.

FWIW Drew, while the writers undoubtedly check Fark and digg and so on, Stewart and Colbert probably have no idea about it. I mean think: if your job is to come up with a funny line about a current event, and you see a funny line on Fark and deliver that to your boss - do you say, "oh by the way, this really wasn't my idea, I got it from fark."

And at the same time, do you think a writer is going to suggest, "Hey Jon, in this joke about the internet, you should mention fark.com"

"Why?" Stewart would say. "Uh, because that's where we get some of our material."

I just don't see that happening. Sorry. It's the nature of a news aggregation site. The people who do mention Fark are special and cool. The people who don't are normal. I think I first heard of Fark from Neil Boortz. He's cool enough to say on-air that he gets funny stories from here.

2010-11-01 03:24:11 PM
Drew, I am disappoint.

2010-11-01 03:24:12 PM
colbertnation.mtvnimages.com
"I am outraged that I didn't come out of the closet at the rally. Outraged! Do I report this to Reddit or Drew, or should I just keep crying?!?!? I'm so confused!"

2010-11-01 03:24:36 PM
Biff Spiffy: However, the comments and the headline are often original, and what make the site so much fun. When I first discovered Fark, I started to realize that my favorite radio show was reading the headlines and select comments verbatim, passing it off as their own wit.

And when the comments and headlines are verbatim from someplace else, passed off as the submitter's wit?

2010-11-01 03:24:54 PM

Please, reaffirm the valid point. We'll wait.

No. That's all I wanted to hear. Drew expected more than what was offered, but in all truthiness, Drew should have never expected anything to begin with.

I wonder how I would look if I gave $10,000 to a homeless shelter, then ranted about how I wasn't given the proper attention for making such a significant contribution.

Kinda like Drew; kinda like an asshat.

2010-11-01 03:24:56 PM
medius: CynicalLA: [Drew] has become what he used to criticize.

A Duke University Blue Devil?

Nope, a sensationalist.

2010-11-01 03:25:10 PM
Ah hell! Better call in the sergeant of arms to disperse the angry mob:
i149.photobucket.com

2010-11-01 03:25:13 PM
kapaso: Well, at least the Daily show doesn't charge its viewers five bucks a month to create their content and headlines for them.

ZING!

2010-11-01 03:25:33 PM
Pontius Pilates Class: Look at all of you angry little men out there trying to take Drew down a peg, using Drew's website to whine about what you perceive to be whining.

I can see how some of you may be angry because Drew gave you a place wonderful enough to waste your lives only to realize you have wasted your lives, but you are doing nothing but excusing your own responsibility from the equation.

Try looking in a mirror sometime.

I am the mirror.

OK!

/me looks in the mirror.

What the hell?!? It looks like I gained weight... and why are my fingers orange? How the hell is the mirror making me smell like a basement?!?! I've not lived in basements for decades, damnit!

You and your evil mirrors. :P

2010-11-01 03:25:41 PM
@medius

I do get a charge out of you jackals posting non sequitur responses because of key words in my posts because your brains have been reduced to muscle memory machines.

2010-11-01 03:25:41 PM

Try looking in a mirror sometime.

I am the mirror.

This thread is now diamonds.

2010-11-01 03:25:42 PM
Psychopusher: Not to be deliberately critical here, but I'm going to be deliberately critical here: Isn't complaining about The Daily Show's writers plundering Fark for material and never thanking you or mentioning your site discounting Fark's own membership (who are the ones who supply said material in the first place) in the same way Stewart is discouting Reddit's influence on the rally?

Just sayin'.

My thoughts exactly.

/I give Drew tremendous credit for the technical side of Fark, and the success it has become
//The entertainment is provided by the members

2010-11-01 03:25:55 PM
Something tells me Drew did not expect this thread to head in this direction....wowza.

2010-11-01 03:25:58 PM
I can dig it, Drew. This is your life, after all. You literally make your money by pointing out the hypocrisy, irreverence, and even the simple joys of daily life. We all feel for you, because we all help you do it.

I would also say that while it may be important to call this perceived snub out, I don't know that it's fair to assume intent. Try to put yourself into the shoes of these guys who just an hour beforehand had pulled off this massive event that was probably greatly stressful for them and focused the entire nation's attention on them for a short period of time. Trust me: neither of them was used to those sorts of ratings.

Thus, maybe they weren't thinking clearly. Even more likely, they probably don't sit on their computers all day in communities like these and fully understand their value. It's hard to see it unless you've been exposed to them long enough. I mean, let's be serious - is Jon Stewart going to reply to Tatsuma in an Israel thread or will Bill Maher troll Bevets for blind faith in the Christian god?

We'd love that. But it just ain't happenin'.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's worth it to point out that in their response to a question in an interview, they underestimated the power of the internet and forums where people exchange ideas and opinions on a daily basis, sometimes not in the form of LOLcats. But, don't be so quick to hold it against them - maybe they just don't know any better.

2010-11-01 03:26:02 PM
What does Jon know about the internet? The man is 47-years old.

He probably still cranks it to Persian Kitty.

2010-11-01 03:26:03 PM
WE CREATED YOU, MR. JOHN STEWART DAILY!

Signed,

Teh Internets

2010-11-01 03:26:22 PM
Fark the haters. I'm witcha, homie.

2010-11-01 03:26:29 PM
shiat like this is a good reason to never come back to fark.com. so good, i haven't been to this site in years. How about an exodus similar to digg.com's self-destruction?

2010-11-01 03:26:49 PM
Biff Spiffy: danaganooc Quote 2010-11-01 02:57:02 PM

I hear Fark headlines and some posts from morning radio shows on a fairly regular basis, the only poster on Fark that is wittier than the Stewart/Colbert writers is Pocket Ninja, almost anybody else would be a downgrade.

2010-11-01 03:26:49 PM
For those that didn't watch the video is sounded something like this:

Reddit Guy: "Hi, I'm from Reddit, we know that we were a huge factor in getting you to do this and it probably never would have happened without Reddit, don't you agree?"

John and Stephen: "We kind of had this planned for a while. If you are trying to say that Reddit manifested this rally then you seem to be misinformed, but thanks for all the support."

2010-11-01 03:26:52 PM
Why would you post this?
It's like you dont even know what the community of your site is like man.

/or your trying to drive up page hits, you smarmy bastard.

2010-11-01 03:27:06 PM
By the by, how long before Fox News picks up the "Reddit scorned!" story and runs with it?