Do you have adblock enabled?
A quick note on Digg v4, and some of Fark's favorite Headlines of the Week for 8/22 - 8/28
Posted by Drew at 2010-08-31 1:19:33 PM (110 comments) | Permalink

8539 clicks; posted to Main » on 31 Aug 2010 at 2:00 PM (4 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

I really wasn't planning on making any comment on the new version of Digg, but enough people have asked me about it so here it is. As it so happens, botched site relaunches are something I know a thing or two about.

Back when we were doing Fark TV, someone emailed in a complaint that I've never forgotten. They said they didn't like the show because it was a sketch comedy show that had the name Fark stamped on top. There wasn't really anything Fark about it. You can't just stick the Fark name in there and expect the Fark community to just adopt it as their own, they said. Whoever sent that in was right.

Digg just made the same mistake. They just scrapped their existing site, replaced it with a new one, and told everyone it was Digg. That's what everyone's angry about: it's not Digg, and they really resent being repeatedly told that it is.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2010-08-22 to Sat 2010-08-28:

Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day. I cut down trees, I rob some banks, I go to the lavatory. On Friday I'm arrested, and charged with a felony    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Woman gets third tattoo at age 101, apparently unconcerned that it's permanent    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Camel milk expected on European shelves next year. Promoters claim it makes great sheiks    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Two-foot-long alligator found hiding under NYC car. It was apparently subletting it for $1500 a month    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Air bag technology has made it safer for equestrian riders who fall off their horses. That is super, man    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Chiropractor accused of masturbating and ejaculating on woman's back. In other news, a chiropractor actually did something to someone's back    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Man sets world record by spending 114 days with 40 dangerous snakes, beating the previous record held by a congressional staffer    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Vagina tree in Thailand tempts locals to Bangkok    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Woman found dead on wedding day. Now they just have to find something old, something new and something borrowed    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Japanese researchers develop touchable 3D TV images. "This technology could create a virtual museum," said researcher with a straight face    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

A tourist snapping photos of a Iranian sunrise is jailed and subjected to "white torture,", which, I don't know for sure, but I think involves brunch and Steely Dan music    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Sports:

Ben Roethlisberger returns to the field in Steelers' preseason game, seeing his first serious action since early this year in a Georgia women's restroom    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Tiger Woods divorce settlement becomes the most expensive 18 holes he's ever played    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

The Rocket faces his toughest opponent yet, U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton. REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Geek:

Depressed teen plays Xbox 15 hours per day. If only there were a way to console him    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Wired youth in China and Japan are forgetting how to write, eat with forks    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Multitasking DOING ONE THING is for people AT A TIME who don't like WORKS to think BETTER too much    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Showbiz:

Jon Gosselin to write book about parenting skills. Hopefully it's thick enough to make a good coaster    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

U.S. Marshals fail to take Wesley Snipes to prison. This sounds very, very familiar    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Oprah Winfrey wants to host her talk show's series finale inside a stadium next fall. Wrigley Field would work perfectly; it's never used after August    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Politics:

"Democrats should run on their record instead of reacting to Republican characterizations of it," says columnist unaware Democrats are not of the phylum Chordata    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

It took a microscope and Sharron Angle saying some Congressmen may be enemies of the state, but Harry Reid's spine has finally been located    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Estimates show that there would be fewer jobs and larger deficits under the Republicans' plan. Republicans say that's impossible, they don't have a plan    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Music:

Bay City Rollers frontman Les McKeown wants the group to reunite. That seems like a lot of work to get people together to sing just one song    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Jimmy Page is releasing his autobiography later this year. It will contain 500 pages of text, 650 photographs, be individually autographed, and sell for $688 before shipping and handling    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Iron Maiden likes to keep their tours simple, like their fans    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Business:

The bad economy makes people rethink renting rather than home ownership, soon be followed by rethinking living with parents, then living on the street, then the sweet sweet release of death    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Sex toys prove recession-proof, inflation-friendly    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]

Johnson and Johnson recalls hip implants after complaints of hip failure, accelerated Pelvic Thrusts    [image from img.fark.net too old to be available]
(view entire blog)

2010-08-31 01:46:53 PM
They'll get over it.

2010-08-31 01:48:32 PM
You'll get over it. ;-)

2010-08-31 01:49:31 PM
*shakes fist at Flab*

2010-08-31 01:51:43 PM
Obvious joke was obvious.

2010-08-31 01:56:07 PM
I think the real problem with Fark TV is that it just plain sucked. It was clearly a series of barely written sketches that people were doing in their spare time with zero budget. The connection to Fark was that the sketches were based on news stories, if I recall correctly, but they weren't good at all, even by the generous standards (at the time) of internet comedy. If it was funny and a success, no one would care that Fark's name was used.

2010-08-31 02:02:25 PM
people still use digg?

2010-08-31 02:04:03 PM

I love this one.

2010-08-31 02:04:18 PM
So have you scrapped the idea for Fark™ brand tampons, then?

2010-08-31 02:04:29 PM
Flab: Obvious joke was obvious.

I have the commemorative screen-cap, too.

i249.photobucket.com

2010-08-31 02:05:14 PM
GooberMcFly: So have you scrapped the idea for Fark™ brand tampons, then?

I thought that was a bloody good idea, actually... I think we should plug that product as much as possible.

2010-08-31 02:06:58 PM
www.modojo.com

RIP Digg Dug

2010-08-31 02:09:32 PM
All digg does these days is point you to reddit.

2010-08-31 02:09:39 PM
It wasn't that you slapped the "Fark" name on an unrelated sketch comedy show. It is that you slapped the "Fark" name on an unrelated sketch comedy show that sucked sweaty hobo balls.

2010-08-31 02:13:10 PM
A Cracked.com partner

2010-08-31 02:13:57 PM
Digg 4: With sweat and dead man's balls.

2010-08-31 02:14:06 PM
As near as I can tell, Digg is toast.

2010-08-31 02:14:44 PM

....

Plus it sucked.

/bring back FarkMan!!

2010-08-31 02:15:20 PM
Tresser: people still use digg?

When I'm bored and Fark isn't posting new greens I used to head over there for the videos. I don't know if the videos are hidden but that site is useless to me now.

2010-08-31 02:16:12 PM
xanadian: GooberMcFly: So have you scrapped the idea for Fark™ brand tampons, then?

As far as I can tell most fark threads are about as pleasant as used tampons, so i can see the relation.

2010-08-31 02:18:04 PM
daveb0rg: Tresser: people still use digg?

So, anybody else here switching to Reddit for their non-Fark aggregating?

2010-08-31 02:18:16 PM
xanadian: I think we should plug that product as much as possible.

Fark™ brand tampons: For stuck-up c**ts

2010-08-31 02:18:56 PM

Drew, you must have strange definitions of genius and stupid.

2010-08-31 02:18:58 PM

Politics tab = Spinal Tap?

2010-08-31 02:19:13 PM
Link (new window)

2010-08-31 02:19:46 PM
1derful: All digg does these days is point you to reddit.

This.

It's Reddit with a three hour delay and YouTube quality comments.

2010-08-31 02:22:48 PM
Silenced is foo: daveb0rg: Tresser: people still use digg?

So, anybody else here switching to Reddit for their non-Fark aggregating?

yep been at reddit for awhile. Only problem with that place is the hive mind you will find on almost all sub-reddit's and the moronic admins for those subs. So with the hive mind in place they downvote or upvote according to the thinking of the sub. If you want to see it in full swing check out the Apple sub it is insane how much the Apple devotion goes.

/Apple computer owner
//they scare me

2010-08-31 02:23:08 PM
I liked FarkTV...

2010-08-31 02:24:18 PM
"As for the actual Diggv4 site concept, I have no idea if it's genius or stupid. I can't tell, maybe it's the next Twitter, maybe it's the next MySpace. Time will tell."

Let me clear it up for you: It's farking hideous.

When Fark was redesigned, it wasn't great and the increase in advertising was annoying, but nothing AdBlock Plus, a custom hosts file, and a little patience couldn't fix. The new Digg design is based entirely on the look and feel of Facebook. Clearly with the intent of trying to tie the two in together, making it easier to bring a "user experience" which is similar on both sides.

This burning desire by Digg, Fark and other sites to "tie everything in" with Facebook is pretty replusive, and Digg simply went overboard with it. Everything about it looks and feels like Facebook now, and I'll lay wager their not the last.

2010-08-31 02:24:31 PM
xanadian:
GooberMcFly: So have you scrapped the idea for Fark™ brand tampons, then?

Maybe Drew could pull some strings.

2010-08-31 02:25:31 PM
Silenced is foo: non-Fark aggregating?

Their what? Drew. I demand that you silence these heretics at once!

2010-08-31 02:25:45 PM
I just want to make sure somebody mentioned that FarkTV sucked ballz

2010-08-31 02:25:47 PM
I went to look at this so-called "Digg" page, and all I got was this...

i51.tinypic.com

2010-08-31 02:27:32 PM

I liked Digg when it first started but it quickly devolved into a link of top 10 lists and cat pictures.

2010-08-31 02:27:44 PM
Flab: They'll get over it.

Done in one.

I disliked the new Digg - not enough to hate it but the amount of crap on the main page is what's driving me away from it.

2010-08-31 02:30:39 PM
Ok.. so I went to see what this Digg thing was all about...

Why the big white stripes on each side? Did they really design the site for 1024x768? In 2010?

2010-08-31 02:31:40 PM
RIP The Dig

t1.gstatic.com

2010-08-31 02:33:16 PM
I use the occasional dig unix command. Is that the same thing?

2010-08-31 02:36:00 PM

2010-08-31 02:39:29 PM

They've completely changed up the voting system and made it into more of a personal news-aggregator site. Basically, you pick which news sources to follow and their diggs and submissions are now your main page.

Also, they've gutted out numerous features, like being able to quickly see responses to your own coversations, bury articles as spam, etc.

2010-08-31 02:42:03 PM

Sure, Drew mentions THAT complaint. But someone else makes an equally valid suggestion that you get the girls to take off their shirts, and it's totally ignored...

/homeless soccer thing was funny
//after that, meh
///and after THAT...:shudder:

2010-08-31 02:42:39 PM
Up until this week I had visited Digg daily for information. In fact some articles submitted here on Fark hit Digg first. All that changed with Digg v4. Since Monday, 50% of the time the Fail Ox came up. 50% of the time it was as though someone made the lovechild of Facebook and AdSense and slapped the Digg logo on it. All of the submitted links are syndicated highly polished webpages such as engadget, national geographic, mashable, etc. The site was wiped clean of decent user (well actually, Power User) submitted content. It didn't take long for the Reddit people to sweep in and game the new algorithm. Kinda sad.

2010-08-31 02:42:42 PM
Silenced is foo: daveb0rg: Tresser: people still use digg?

So, anybody else here switching to Reddit for their non-Fark aggregating?

2010-08-31 02:46:17 PM

As opposed to here, where there are routinely links to some random guy's blog, as long as he pushes the PITA in the right direction...

2010-08-31 02:47:39 PM
daveb0rg: Not me. I just went there for the first time, I can't stand the way that page looks. It looks like someone exported their bookmarks to html and posted it online.

There is that, isn't there? I like a clean, light layout... but Reddit goes a bit far into "it's just text splattered onto the screen with no lines to follow" territory.

2010-08-31 02:47:48 PM

2010-08-31 02:51:58 PM
Son of a biatch. I had forgotten about Fark TV. Man I hated Fark TV, but I loved the fail threads.

2010-08-31 02:52:54 PM
ColSanders: How is that a bad thing?

Too much work. I'd prefer other people pick my selection of funny news and cat pictures.

2010-08-31 02:54:39 PM
ColSanders: So you choose the content instead of having a small group of power-users pick the content? How is that a bad thing?

I'll say that most Digg users want to promote non-mainstream news articles or blog entries. Only diggers who frequently submit stories complain about power-users.

/former Digg user

2010-08-31 02:57:57 PM

2010-08-31 02:58:38 PM
Yomoxu: Honestly, DiggV4 is like Facebook sexually violated Twitter, which turned itself into an incubus and shoved it into DiggV3, and the mixed genes solidified into a hideous beast which burst out of DiggV3's chest.

*Fapfapfap*

2010-08-31 03:00:43 PM
IXI Jim IXI: Xanthobilly: All of the submitted links are syndicated highly polished webpages such as engadget, national geographic, mashable, etc.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but at least there's amateur pizazz here at Fark. It reminds me of Dunder Mifflin Infinity. "Two-Point-Oooh!" The success of Facebook doesn't mean everything should become a Facebook knockoff.

2010-08-31 03:01:28 PM
Digg4 is simply a web page with links to reddit.

2010-08-31 03:01:39 PM
I visited Digg daily before the V4 switchover. Now I'm trying to fit in on Reddit, but it just doesn't feel right. I've been a Farker for a decent amount of time, but for some reason I seem to need another social news site to visit. I started on Slashdot, until I couldn't put up with the smugness. I wandered over to Digg when it launched and enjoyed the decent variety of content. The users are definitely a little more rough around the edges (like /b/ on Adderall) than users on other sites, but they provide enjoyable "discussions" from time to time. It's also nice to be able to watch your comments and continue conversing well after the thread drops from the front page. Then V4 dropped like a hot turd in a cold bowl and I fled to Reddit with many others. The news is decent, but it's mostly self-inflating bullshiat and half of the comments are about how they're so much smarter than Diggers. I know they're mostly joking, but it's a bit off-putting.

Thankfully Fark has been the one true constant over the years and I can always rely on you guys for lulz and intelligent convo (and trolling).

2010-08-31 03:02:57 PM
Kravis Fupnobble: I went to look at this so-called "Digg" page, and all I got was this...

That's probably the best thing ever posted on Digg.

2010-08-31 03:04:10 PM
Silenced is foo: ColSanders: Call me stupid, but other than the layout what is different with digg? The submission and/or rating system? Are people upset because their little group of digghounds can't force their stories to the top every time?

So now it looks like I'm going through Google Reader to access a Dig RSS feed that is essentially linking to three hour old Reddit articles?

This thing just got entirely too meta.

2010-08-31 03:04:34 PM
I was chosen to be a FarkTV writer about one week before it was "canceled".

Sorry folks. I was going to make it funny, but it didn't work out.

;)

:P

/first sentence is true
//second sentence...we will never know

2010-08-31 03:04:48 PM
ColSanders: Silenced is foo: Basically, where Digg used to be just a user-driven news site like Reddit or Fark-with-voting, now it's a completely new Facebookish concept.

Simple, the default follow-set of people available to follow are all corporations that are publishing their own stuff. They set you up to follow HuffPo, Engagdget, etc. So unless you go and seek out MrBabyMan, you're stuck with the listing of a bunch of magazines. It's basically an RSS aggregator with comments.

Because of that, corporate content has utterly taken over the main-page of the site instead of user-driven content.

As annoying as the power-users were, they had good taste. Now they've been replaced with corporate feeds.

2010-08-31 03:05:01 PM
Sorry Rann Xerox , i couldn't find your pic on a GIS

i78.photobucket.com

2010-08-31 03:06:06 PM
Just putting this over here.

Digg - Fark Completely Redesigned!
Fark Completely Redesigned! fark.com - Fark has looked the same way for a long time, but check out its new look! - Submitted Apr 25, 2007 ...
digg.com/news/technology/Fark_Completely_Redesigned

Link is empty but I believe I was part of the "i don't like the new look" but I got over it. I still want the damn videos back on Digg. I hate break and liveleak.

2010-08-31 03:08:14 PM
Xanthobilly: Maybe it's nostalgia, but at least there's amateur pizazz here at Fark.

There sure is.

It takes more than club soda and Tide to get that off your clothes...

2010-08-31 03:10:01 PM
Deleted Digg from my bookmarks the day after v4.

Haven't missed it a bit.

2010-08-31 03:12:40 PM
SweetHomeNowhere: Yeah. OldDogg (new window) is the new Digg v3 clone made by a former Digg member.

That is the same thing that happened to the Audi World forums and everyone left and joined the new one.

2010-08-31 03:14:32 PM
Came in to echo the Facebook comparison...in fact, I thought I had clicked the wrong bookmark at first. the new digg is way too similar to facebook.

2010-08-31 03:14:50 PM
I don't dig Digg and will never know what the site looks like now.

2010-08-31 03:24:00 PM
DiggBook

FaceDigg

Meh, whatever, V4 sux dead donkey balls...

2010-08-31 03:32:09 PM
Oh man, I had forgotten about how bad FarkTV was. I'm going to have to go have a few drinks to try and forget again.

2010-08-31 03:34:27 PM
Drew,

Care to comment on the partnership with Cracked.com?

2010-08-31 03:40:57 PM
Dig v4, now with more reddit than ever.

2010-08-31 03:41:42 PM
+g

2010-08-31 03:50:00 PM
netweavr: Drew,

Care to comment on the partnership with Cracked.com?

Drew's response will come shortly.

2010-08-31 03:54:41 PM
images.eonline.com

This is the true FarkTV in spirit, the showbiz tab at least.

2010-08-31 03:56:35 PM
Mike F: netweavr: Drew,

Care to comment on the partnership with Cracked.com?

Drew's response will come shortly.

Thank you.

2010-08-31 04:03:35 PM
netweavr: Mike F: netweavr: Drew,

Care to comment on the partnership with Cracked.com?

Drew's response will come shortly.

Thank you.

This should be good.

brentfavre.com

2010-08-31 04:20:46 PM

2010-08-31 04:21:48 PM
People still go to Digg?

Oh look, the site's broken. LOL

2010-08-31 04:25:01 PM

I never understood digg anyway. It was impossible to track conversations because they were all over the place thanks to the digging system.

2010-08-31 04:25:46 PM
we_hates: I miss Farktv. Well not Fark TV, exactly, but the threads biatching about Fark TV were some of my favorites.

Just link to homestarrunner for similar results.

2010-08-31 04:26:38 PM
news.thomasnet.com

RIP Big Dig

2010-08-31 04:40:32 PM

2010-08-31 04:44:32 PM

I don't know. Evidently people are upset that content creators can submit their own content. You know, normally it had to get submitted by one user, then voted up by 200 other users to make their front page. Now it only has to get voted up by 199 users, and that's a tragedy.

Really people just wanted to be attention whores by being the first to submit something to digg.

2010-08-31 04:48:22 PM
serial_crusher: Barakku: I don't get what the difference between the new and old diggs are. Is the new one less based around vote-spamming up comments you like and down comments you don't like to destroy coherent conversation?

2010-08-31 04:52:30 PM

Unfortunately I don't like Reddit's design either, so I'm betwixt rock and hard place at the moment.

2010-08-31 04:53:53 PM
netweavr: Mike F: netweavr: Drew,

Care to comment on the partnership with Cracked.com?

Drew's response will come shortly.

Thank you.

For sufficiently large values of "shortly", one presumes.

2010-08-31 04:54:04 PM

What nobody wants to admit is that MrBabyMan et al actually submitted good stuff. Replacing them with corporate feeds is not an improvement.

Ultimately, scrape away the ego and all that, and most Digg users go to Digg to see a front-page full of interesting news and good user commentary. Same as Fark. Only a small number of vocal users care where the news comes from.

And right now, that front page sucks. In fact, it's pushed off to the side, and instead defaults you to show a page of stuff you're following. And that stuff you're following is even worse, because unless you've gone hardcore and tracked down all the best contributors, it's full of the corporate stuff they suggested you follow when you signed up.

2010-08-31 04:54:13 PM
Oh and might as well discuss the headlines a bit in this headline of the week thread. The recession-proof, inflation-friendly headline wins my vote :)

2010-08-31 05:01:29 PM
Masterdog: I don't know anything about that - I never submitted stories and didn't really know how they got on to the front page. All I know is I liked the old Digg and I don't like the new one. Not sure how much of that is due to users spamming Reddit links, but I don't really like the re-design much.

Oh yeah, that was just one whine that I didn't get. I thought it was stupid that they tried to emphasize stories from your "friends". I have like 3 friends on there for no real reason, so it's not such a useful feature for me. I just like to look at funny pictures of cats and make sarcastic comments that get misunderstood by people with no sense of humor. All that will still be there once all the real content stops being drowned out by whiners.

2010-08-31 05:03:39 PM

For a certain time, Mashable spammed Digg v4's front page. I never once submitted stories and I didn't care about the power-users. That was the beauty of Digg, the exposure of minor but thoughtful web contents for the connected people who cared. Yeah, yeah, I used to use Digg very passionately. Most of the Digg users hate to see non-mainstream contents being rejected and that's all right now.

2010-08-31 05:12:25 PM
There is but one thing emblazoned into my mind about FarkTV. If I'm in a goofy enough (read: sleep-deprived) mood, I always end up saying "Pepperoni!" like the girl in the porn sketch.

\she was kinda cute, fwiw

2010-08-31 05:18:23 PM
TheRaven7: FARK's redesign was not as big of a deal as people made it out to be. Sure it looks different, and the layout was tweaked for ads, but the basic layout of the home page and the threads is pretty much the same.

Ads?

2010-08-31 05:27:45 PM

No video tab for one. As for other changes, not sure, the video tab was the only thing I went there for.

2010-08-31 05:34:21 PM
Dr._Michael_Hfuhruhurr: 1derful: All digg does these days is point you to reddit.

This.

It's Reddit with a three hour delay and YouTube quality comments.

3 hours beats Fark's 10 to 36 hour delay hands down.

2010-08-31 05:49:16 PM
I can't even use the digg iphone app anymore. Can't log in via my facebook account. These are 2 features I use just to login that don't even work anymore. I went to reddit for the first time this week and checked it out and it seems like a better place to go for the time being.

2010-08-31 05:56:51 PM
Seriously, why so many reddit links? It's like fark linking to a digg story... and I liked fark and digg better than reddit anyway.

2010-08-31 05:59:12 PM
Reddit is much better when using firefox and greasemonkey scripts.

2010-08-31 06:52:50 PM
I've been on the internet for 15 years and never have once used or needed Digg. Ya dig?

2010-08-31 06:56:07 PM
Pants full of macaroni!!: netweavr: Mike F: netweavr: Drew,

Care to comment on the partnership with Cracked.com?

Drew's response will come shortly.

Thank you.

For sufficiently large values of "shortly", one presumes.

I imagine he's a busy guy. I'll bug him again in a week if he doesn't address it.

2010-08-31 07:29:20 PM
Berz: Sorry Rann Xerox , i couldn't find your pic on a GIS

"Farktv with sweat" found it as the 9th result

i78.photobucket.com

/from ranns photobucket

2010-08-31 08:02:24 PM
The kids over at Digg have their panties way too much in a twist over the site changes. Someone call them a WAAAMBULANCE. Then again they always were a bunch of whiny bastards. That's why I like Fark and Slashdot: both full of assholes.

2010-08-31 08:20:16 PM
Mike F: netweavr: Drew,

Care to comment on the partnership with Cracked.com?

Drew's response will come shortly.

O RLY?

2010-08-31 10:10:07 PM
After I couldn't get the new digg page to work right for me 3 days in a row, I found a thread where there was tons of digg bashing and they mentioned reddit. I had heard about it over the years, but never bothered with it. well I went over there. HOLY CRAP. Its 1000x better than digg ever was. You get to swear, you get to talk about adult themes. Unless I hear about some fantastic changes to digg again, I'll probably never go back.

Fark and reddit biatches ftw ;)

2010-09-01 01:14:03 AM

2010-09-01 01:18:18 AM
Whatever Drew, everything you say is invalid, you hate boobies.

bare moobs = acceptable
boobs in bikinis = not acceptable

Farking lame.

/no, I'm not over it

2010-09-01 06:39:07 AM
someahole: The kids over at Digg have their panties way too much in a twist

Rightfully so. It used to be mostly user-generated links. Now it's 100% corporate shill links.

2010-09-01 07:27:50 AM

That said, I'm damn near ready to drop Digg due to this change. No I won't get over it. Its just that bad.

2010-09-01 07:48:22 AM
I joined Digg the last part of 2006. I submitted all sorts of content, became INVOLVED in it, had a large friend/fan base and enjoyed the community.

The new layout makes users pretty much irrelevant.

Deleted it this week, won't be bothering to look at them again.

Heck of a job, Kevin. Heck of a job. You killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

2010-09-01 08:08:16 AM
Dammit, the only time I'll ever see a Bay City Rollers thread and it's already closed! Well, I'll just have to do it here ....

B A Y
B A Y
B A Y C I T Y
R O double L E R S
Bay City Rollers are the best.

An older relative seemed to think it was funny to teach that to a 3 year old (over and over and over), but he's not paying for my farkin' therapy all these years later, is he?

2010-09-01 09:02:00 AM
Seamer: Never heard of Digg until now, but someone better let them know Facebook stole their skin.

Bravo.

2010-09-01 09:04:32 AM

Me too, and I did drop it. The water's just fine over here.

2010-09-01 04:42:31 PM
Silenced is foo: Shazam999: Most, if not all, top Digg stories were from something like fifty users. So really, the place was run by a small cabal of users.

Well, thing is, they touted themselves as a place where anyone could submit a link, and the top dugg stories were the ones that went to the top. This, of course, was gamed in the first few months of the site.

It's fine to say that the top users were good contributors. So maybe they should've just said so, but then that means that the main appeal of the site would disappear.

Yes, holy crap, that front page is useless.

2010-09-03 11:04:23 AM
Xanthobilly: rockforever: I've been a Digger as long as I've been a farker, and thats a long time as far as internet years go.

Me too, and I did drop it. The water's just fine over here.

Not only that, but Reddit allows NSFW content on the front page, and doesn't censor salty language.

If it weren't for the threaded conversations (which, imho, are a misfeature and Fark's flat conversations are way better) I'd look at replacing my Farking with it.