About that NSFW trademark application
Posted by Drew at 2007-12-10 11:54:13 AM (363 comments) | Permalink

41806 clicks; posted to Main » on 10 Dec 2007 at 4:14 PM (6 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

About the NSFW Trademark Application, I can say three things:

1) Yes, we applied for it.

2) Can't comment on the prank angle other than "stay tuned."

3) Muhahaha.

I've gotten a few email complaints about the NSFW trademark ap. It bears mentioning that I received 10x as many complaints about the DealNews ad with the picture of some guy's ass in it (removed already, whoever over at DealNews thought that was a good idea needs to be punched in the face), and 100x as many complaints when we moved all the boobies links over to Foobies.com (NSFW™). There's an interesting yet unsurprising cross section of the priorities of an Internet audience for you.

I'm guessing the complaints are from people who don't read Fark, otherwise they'd know our end goal couldn't possibly be suing everyone using NSFW out of existence.

So far, this one is my favorite:

How about you stop being dick heads and leave acronyms you didn't create alone. don't fuck up the internet by being cock licking monkey fuckers. If you go around trademarking things like NSFW then you WILL screw the internet up for everyone else you greedy ass sucking granny douching shit eaters.

You make me so angry!

To sum up the conclusions of the above email:

1) We're ruining the Internet. All of it, apparently. At this rate we'll have to go back to mailing each other letters and watching network TV. EVERYBODY PANIC

2)Thanks to that last sentence, the voice in my head representing the author is Steve Urkel.

3) From the writing style, I can only conclude the author is German, mainly due to the phrase "granny douching shit eaters". No doubt it's available on Amazon with english subtitles, along with a note that people who purchased this item also purchased "cock licking monkey fuckers". Additionally, I can't tell whether or not the adjective "cock licking" modifies the word "monkey" or "fuckers" because depending on which it was you could make two completely different movies.

An aside: apologies for the late response on this, I was traveling all week and pretty much drunk the entire time. I try to make a habit of not logging in while under the influence (damn you eBay).

The real problem was I accidentally left my laptop charger at home. I was trying to save battery power. Until this happened I had never before thought of using this excuse, it's a keeper.

I'm home now so I can recharge both myself and the battery before the final trip of the year. I'll be in NYC Thursday doing random christmas stuff, Atlanta Friday to go to the Fark TV Christmas party, and home til 2008 as of Saturday.
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | » | Last | Show all

2007-12-10 01:12:59 PM
This should be a pretty good one because it walks right up to the edge of almost believable. I can't believe how many people in the blogosphere are falling for it.

2007-12-10 01:16:11 PM
Whatever. You're the next Hilary Rosen.

2007-12-10 01:22:17 PM
I like that people get upset over stuff like this.

They must have the best(or worst)lives ever, if this is what lights their fuse.

Thanks for all the entertainment Drew, attempt to trademark whatever you'd like!

2007-12-10 01:24:41 PM
I bet the people who were righteously indignant about this are going to find a way to stay that way.

2007-12-10 01:39:30 PM
I wonder if Mike could rig it to put TM after all the links on Foobies

2007-12-10 02:22:47 PM
"granny douching shiat eaters" is actullay an Irish phrase, Drew. My mom used it all the time when I was growing up.

2007-12-10 02:23:13 PM
Methinks there is more to the story than actually trying to own the acronym...

:-( (new window)

2007-12-10 02:31:51 PM

You know what else you shouldn't do while under the influence? Submit trademark applications.

2007-12-10 02:32:08 PM

Does the guy think he owns the site or something?!

2007-12-10 02:52:59 PM
Drew for president!

Wait...I'm in canada and I don't have a president.
How about Prime Minister Drew!?!

I know this sound cheap, but then I would be able to pay my tax with beer!!! mouahahahaha

2007-12-10 02:55:35 PM
Bill_Wick's_Friend: How come Drew's "fark" comes out uncensored and my "fark" comes out saying "fark"?

This I'd say N*t Safe F*r W*ork language somewhere in the headline but the greedy ass sucking granny douching shiat eater would probably sue me or something...

/please don't banninate me

2007-12-10 03:08:42 PM
"don't fark up the internet by being cock licking monkey farkers. "

That is the first thing that has made me LOL since yesterday afternoon. WOW.

2007-12-10 03:19:23 PM
A friend of mine pointed out that if the guy really were German the phrase "granny douching shiat eaters" would have been just one long continuous word

2007-12-10 03:24:20 PM
I've had about 3 people message me with this "news" today, can't wait to see how it turns out.

2007-12-10 03:37:05 PM
Hold on just a second here.

Am I the only American douching her granny and eating shiat?

This obviously means I am more cultured than most.

2007-12-10 03:38:46 PM
Großmutterduschendscheißefressen

2007-12-10 03:50:26 PM
Outtaphase: Großmutterduschendscheißefressen

That has quite the ring to it

/writing it down for later

2007-12-10 03:52:43 PM
jessie: Am I the only American douching her granny and eating shiat?

I think so. My granny douches herself and eats her own shiat. Then again, she's always been pretty independent...

//we're only a quarter German, though

2007-12-10 04:16:47 PM

ahahahahahahaha

That's great. It makes the whole thing funnier when read with that voice.

2007-12-10 04:18:46 PM
manias32: Drew for president!

Wait...I'm in canada and I don't have a president.

You can have ours...

2007-12-10 04:19:51 PM
My only question now: Have the people potentially impacting by ANYONE owning the trademark to NSFW been contacted? For example, nsfw.com.

2007-12-10 04:19:59 PM
NSFW - No shiateater Found Wanting?

2007-12-10 04:20:20 PM
This should be in the next book, about how much the internet sucks.

2007-12-10 04:20:38 PM
I know normally we don't ask, but why were you deleting the threads that were posted about it?

2007-12-10 04:20:47 PM
THATS WHERE TEH GOD DAMN BOOBIES WENT

I thought it had turned into a totalfark perk.

2007-12-10 04:20:53 PM
Never Should Fart Wet?

2007-12-10 04:20:55 PM
NSFW(tm) NSFW? NS4W FTW.

2007-12-10 04:21:16 PM
Hey Germans:

img80.imageshack.us

errr wait....

2007-12-10 04:21:19 PM
I got fired for looking at racy pictures that were linked with no warning, so I'm really getting a kick out of these replies.

2007-12-10 04:21:26 PM
Well after Paris Hilton was allowed to trademark/copyright/whatever "that's hot" I imagine people don't take trademark humor the same way they used to.

2007-12-10 04:22:24 PM
You all should have seen the whiney biatches over at digg and reddit. Freakin hilarious. Some TFers on the digg side were complaining how this topic wasn't being posted to the Fark Main too.

2007-12-10 04:22:30 PM
Who came up with the whole NSFW thing anyway?

2007-12-10 04:22:40 PM
I was looking at this, wondering whether to click on the link. Luckily, it's not actually NSFW.

/I'm thinking the USPTO will deny it (since people've been using it). Or is that not how it works?

2007-12-10 04:22:42 PM
im trademarking the word "the"

/i now owe myself money
//maybe that was step 2 all along

2007-12-10 04:22:43 PM
Has the filter gone away? Those bad words were making my eyes bleed.

2007-12-10 04:22:43 PM
The author can't be German.

All the words are spelled correctly and Poland isn't mentioned once.

2007-12-10 04:22:59 PM
Outtaphase: Großmutterduschendscheißefressen

Safe word?

BTW, I think the guy who wrote Drew was perfectly reasonable. What's the big deal?

2007-12-10 04:23:03 PM
I can has FAIL?*

*FAIL is trademark pending from Bemis23

2007-12-10 04:23:19 PM
IXI Jim IXI: manias32: Drew for president!

Wait...I'm in canada and I don't have a president.

You can have ours...

We'll trade you our prime minister!

2007-12-10 04:23:31 PM
Please, does anyone have a believabler link for this appplication?

I have some people that need spinning up.

2007-12-10 04:23:34 PM
wowzer97pooh: The author can't be German.

All the words are spelled correctly and Poland isn't mentioned once.

He(?) obviously forgot Poland.

2007-12-10 04:23:36 PM
This is an outrage, an OUTRAGE I say Mr. Curtis!

\i'm the internet
\\you're the internet
\\\we're the internet
\\\\now that's the internet

2007-12-10 04:23:41 PM
I'm going to trademark "They are who we thought they were"

2007-12-10 04:23:43 PM
psychotic_calm: Who came up with the whole NSFW thing anyway?

That's for the courts to decide.

2007-12-10 04:23:44 PM
So Farking what?

Wait... Not So Farking What?

2007-12-10 04:23:54 PM
Outtaphase: Großmutterduschendscheißefressen

Ich habe "Montag" lieber.
/Did I say that right?

2007-12-10 04:23:59 PM
I think you should go ahead and put "CLMF®" in the pipeline while you're at it...

2007-12-10 04:24:25 PM

FTFY, Drew :D

2007-12-10 04:25:01 PM
IXI Jim IXI: manias32: Drew for president!

Wait...I'm in canada and I don't have a president.

You can have ours...

We'll even throw in the entire Baldwin family!

2007-12-10 04:25:03 PM

ime glad to know I am not the only one who has ebay problems when drunk

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | » | Last | Show all