Discussion of a change to non-logged in users, and Fark's favorite headlines of the week for 4/11 - 4/17
Posted by Drew at 2010-04-19 3:47:13 PM (169 comments) | Permalink

11414 clicks; posted to Main » on 19 Apr 2010 at 4:35 PM (4 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Hey there, we have a change coming and we wanted you to have a heads up about it, even though most of you will never notice it.

For the last few years, advertisers have been been begging us to use interstitials on Fark. We've always told them no, because 1) it's annoying as hell, and 2) it's annoying as hell. They've kept asking and we've turned them down every time, but they still come back the next month and ask again. It's not that we don't need the money, which helps keep the site running and helps us with various staffing needs, but that we couldn't think of a way to make it work that wouldn't suck for you. We've never wanted it to mess up your user experience, but we also don't like seeing that money flowing to other sites when we're doing our best to stay afloat.

Even though it's been shot down every other time it's been discussed, there may be a middle ground where we can do something that doesn't affect 99% of you. Here's what we're implementing: we've made an arrangement to allow interstitials for non-logged-in users at a rate of one per day. If you're logged in, you won't see it. A person that's not logged in would see it once in a 24-hour period. The advertisers would like to see more than that, but this is all we're willing to allow. While most of you will never notice this change, we figured a heads-up was still in order.

If you're logged in and you're seeing an interstitial ad, it's likely not related to this (in the past it's been remnant ads that we never approved), so please let us know immediately so we can go smack the advertiser. We're hoping that this can work where it's under your radar but still helps us out.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2010-04-11 to Sat 2010-04-17:

ssl.fark.com  Man who had sex with horse "does not have stable address"    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Autistic girl rescued after being stranded in swamp for 4 days, 7 hours, 33 minutes and 19 seconds    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Copper piping stolen from hrch    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Police bust third grader for suspected heroin dealing. Next, on Thomas the Trainspotter    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Man pleads guilty to cheating in a bass tournament. He received a jail sentence THIS big    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Scientists create a bulletproof t-shirt by adding a fourth wolf    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  National park fees waived next week. EVERYBODY PICNIC    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Record pollen count in Kansas City is so high, drug dealers are turning meth back into Sudafed    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Police say woman who drove head on into a garbage truck was trashed    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  A man got stabbed in Rolando. There was something in the air that night, the knives were bright, Rolando, they were stabbing you and me, for liberty, Rolando    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Boy brings rabid bat to elementary school for show-and-tell, orders round of shots for all his friends    img.fark.net

Sports:

ssl.fark.com  Houston Astros begin season 0-5 for the first time since 1983, back when the team sported uniforms designed by a drag queen high on paint fumes    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  The Bruins, much like the Toronto viewing audience, get number two from the Maple Leafs    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Jeff Francoeur says the Mets are behind manager Jerry Manuel 110 percent, which is also the team batting average    img.fark.net

Geek:

ssl.fark.com  Scientists have developed an edible film that can be used to wrap food products. They are tentatively calling it a "tortilla"    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Doctors prevent brain damage in baby born not breathing by using experimental Xenon gas treatment. How noble of them    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  India's space program successfully maps the ocean floor    img.fark.net

Showbiz:

ssl.fark.com  Vanessa Hudgens joins the cast of Rent even though Hair would have been a more appropriate choice    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Breast implants reject Amy Winehouse    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Michael J Fox says Parkinson's improved his life, speed at which his Polaroids develop    img.fark.net

Politics:

ssl.fark.com  Oklahoma considers its own militia to protect it from the federal government. As if there's anything in Oklahoma anybody wants    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Leader of Norway, stranded in NY by Iceland's volcano, runs the country with his iPad. In other news--You can run Norway without multi-tasking    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Colon, who is behind Wood, didn't like what Nass was trying to do to Wood. Nass says Colon's an ass. Colon says he's sorry and now Colon & Nass are working together again    img.fark.net

Music:

ssl.fark.com  John Frusciante is named Top Guitarist of the Past Thirty Years by people who don't know what the f*ck they're talking about    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Courtney Love impressed with Jessica Simpson, twist-off caps on booze bottles    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Woman arrested for stalking a Freddie Mercury look-alike. She was sentenced to three years in an imaginary prison    img.fark.net

Business:

ssl.fark.com  Palm has decided to put itself up for sale, which is a little like saying that homeless guy on the subway has decided to start accepting venture capital    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Google and Library of Congress to archive all Tweets twatted since 2006    img.fark.net

ssl.fark.com  Goldman kicked in the Sachs by SEC    img.fark.net
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all

2010-04-19 03:57:17 PM
"Everybody Picnic" was great!

2010-04-19 04:40:17 PM
Prattle Assassin: "Everybody Picnic" was great!

Ya, my fave too.

2010-04-19 04:40:33 PM
in·ter·sti·tial [in-ter-stish-uhl]
-adjective
1. pertaining to, situated in, or forming interstices.
2. Anatomy . situated between the cells of a structure or part: interstitial tissue.
3. Annoying as hell.

2010-04-19 04:41:34 PM
youll get over it

2010-04-19 04:41:57 PM
I WON'T GET OVER IT!!!!1

2010-04-19 04:42:06 PM
Thanks, Drew!

After browsing a lot of the other sites that are mind-numbingly ad-heavy, it's nice to see an admin that gives a rat's ass about the opinion of their users.

This liter appreciates it.

2010-04-19 04:42:10 PM
I, for one, welcome our new Advertisement overlords.

/wtf is an interstitial? Is that a fancy term for "pop-up" or "pop-over?"

2010-04-19 04:42:59 PM

2010-04-19 04:43:40 PM
fark off, I make a point NOT to click that shiat, so again fark off.

2010-04-19 04:43:43 PM
I'm already over it. So there.

2010-04-19 04:43:56 PM
sub_harmonic: I, for one, welcome our new Advertisement overlords.

/wtf is an interstitial? Is that a fancy term for "pop-up" or "pop-over?"

It's a sort of intermediary page where ads are displayed. Wikia has started doing it and it annoys the hell out of me.

2010-04-19 04:44:11 PM
I laughed at the Michael J Fox one.

/going to hell
//but not as quickly as the bastard that thought up interstitial ads

2010-04-19 04:44:37 PM
I'm OK with this.

2010-04-19 04:44:38 PM
Leave 'em in stitials!

2010-04-19 04:44:59 PM
Meh, I almost never log in before browsing, and if it's at the rate you say, it would barely bother me.

Good middle ground I say

2010-04-19 04:45:03 PM
sub_harmonic: wtf is an interstitial? Is that a fancy term for "pop-up" or "pop-over?"

My understanding is that it's similar to a pop-up, but full-screen before you get to your target page.

2010-04-19 04:45:03 PM
Bleh, this would be annoying. I check Fark on random computers now and again when I'm bored. I come in, check out one or two articles, and head out again. I don't bother logging in and I use different computers.

Also I don't usually log in unless I've got something to say, which, I usually don't.

This would BUG THE shiat out of me.

Then again I'm not paying for TF (mostly because I don't have the money or the time) so I shouldn't complain at all.

2010-04-19 04:45:15 PM
sub_harmonic: /wtf is an interstitial? Is that a fancy term for "pop-up" or "pop-over?"

I think it's an ad that's an "interuption". I.e., you hit a link, and instead of going to what the link links to, you get an ad page with a "continue to requested link" link.

Annoying as hell.

2010-04-19 04:45:19 PM
sub_harmonic: I, for one, welcome our new Advertisement overlords.

/wtf is an interstitial? Is that a fancy term for "pop-up" or "pop-over?"

It's like those ad's at gamespot or IGN. The ones where you click on an article, but instead of the article an ad comes up that says 'click here to continue to article'. Just below popups and popunders for annoyance.

2010-04-19 04:45:32 PM

Know how on some pages you click on a link and it shows a full page ad with a "Click here to continue" at the top? That's an interstitial.

I get them on IGN once in a while.

2010-04-19 04:46:07 PM
That doesn't sound so bad...

2010-04-19 04:46:16 PM
What's an ad?

/adblock plus
//flash block
///firefox

2010-04-19 04:46:46 PM
It's not news...it's Fark.com, brought to you by Netflix.

2010-04-19 04:46:56 PM
jayhawk88: Whoo!!! First Headline 'O The Week! Does it still count if it's from the Business tab?

That depends on the marginal cost of the Sports tab.

TheBlackrose: sub_harmonic: I, for one, welcome our new Advertisement overlords.

/wtf is an interstitial? Is that a fancy term for "pop-up" or "pop-over?"

I hate advertising/marketing in general. I trust more politicians than I do marketing personnel.

2010-04-19 04:47:35 PM
TheGhostofFarkPast: What's an ad?

/adblock plus
//flash block
///firefox

Interstitials will still effect you. Instead you just get a blank screen with a link of where you really wanted to go somewhere.

2010-04-19 04:47:36 PM
As others have said an interstitial is a temporary page - similar to a pop-up. You go www.fark.com you see full page ad for snorg t's and it says if you dont click continue the page will automatically redirect in 30 seconds.

/drew do you charge for frequency capping like that
//because you should...i tell my publishers to charge for it

2010-04-19 04:47:38 PM
from wikipedia: "Sparingly and prudently used, interstitial pages can avoid confusion and aid usability.[citation needed]"

2010-04-19 04:47:48 PM
IN BEFORE "YOU'LL GET OVE..."

Mystwalk: youll get over it

Aww, bugger.

2010-04-19 04:47:57 PM
Add whatever you want -- AdBlock will make sure I never notice it.

For the record, yeah, those of us who are intelligent enough to set our cache to empty after the browser closes would see it more than once per day. See above for how much I care, though.

2010-04-19 04:48:03 PM
It's normally a page entirely devoted to an ad that you get directed to on your way to a different page. Something like a white page with a picture of a sneaker and the Nike logo. Usually, somewhere on the page, there is some linked text that says "to skip this ad click here" or "click here to go directly to blah blah.com"

2010-04-19 04:48:45 PM
TheGhostofFarkPast: What's an ad?

/adblock plus
//flash block
///firefox

You still get them with adblock, it just loads a blank page but you still have to click through it.

2010-04-19 04:48:51 PM
interstitial ads are okay with me, especially at one per day. That is, as long as you keep the always-in-motion flash ads off the page, which goes double for the ones that don't just move over the page, they move the ENTIRE page so the content keeps moving in and out of my frame.

Please.

2010-04-19 04:48:52 PM
AnnoyingKidNextDoor: You mean those pages where it says "Your page will load in ten seconds, but first WORMS IN MY VAGINA?! IT'S MORE LIKELY THAN YOU THINK"? I hate those.

Yes, those pages. They should be consumed in holy fire.

Wish advertisers would pull their heads out of their collective asses and realize that they're a large part to blame in the adoption of anti-ad measures.

2010-04-19 04:48:54 PM
TheBlackrose: TheGhostofFarkPast: What's an ad?

/adblock plus
//flash block
///firefox

nope never seen one on any website ever. Plus I sometimes add in No Script and that shuts down everything.

2010-04-19 04:49:39 PM
Interstitials shot Kennedy.

2010-04-19 04:49:53 PM

2010-04-19 04:50:05 PM
debug: What I think is interesting is that the advertisers haven't bothered to come up with a better way of promoting their product after being told several times that X method is annoying and people hate it.

One thing I'm seeing more now is trailing ads on videos, which I think is much better than making me sit through a commercial before the video I wanted to watch. Memo to sites that allow that: I click off before I ever get to your content.

2010-04-19 04:50:26 PM
Interstitials were behind the Crusades.

2010-04-19 04:50:34 PM
I stay logged in just to avoid the Pagenations!! I want all my shiat on one page!!!

2010-04-19 04:50:53 PM
StrangeQ: Okay, so if those are interstitials, what's the word for those ads that popup when you hover over certain keywords on some pages? Those annoy the fark out of me, doubly so because it's usually some Bing advertisement.

Adwords?

2010-04-19 04:50:57 PM
TheGhostofFarkPast: TheBlackrose: TheGhostofFarkPast: What's an ad?

/adblock plus
//flash block
///firefox

You still get them with no-script. I have them both and still get the blank page on certain sites.

2010-04-19 04:52:02 PM
Hey anything to keep Drew comfortably in beer. I mean beer in Drew.

2010-04-19 04:52:24 PM
Just got here - has anyone explained what an interstitial ad is yet?

2010-04-19 04:52:30 PM
It's your world, boss.

2010-04-19 04:52:43 PM
Fark should just get a small wacky-wavy-inflatable-arms-flailing-tube-man to sit in the bottom right corner of the screen (you know, the big grey area) while reading through the threads.

2010-04-19 04:54:51 PM
No headline odds for the week? I was wondering what the line was that we'd see a Fark thread about the volcano that does not mention Björk.

2010-04-19 04:55:02 PM
frickinyeahyeahyeah: Just got here - has anyone explained what an interstitial ad is yet?

Banner ads between posts.

2010-04-19 04:55:39 PM

But first, a word from our sponsor!

2010-04-19 04:55:55 PM

/wtf is an interstitial? Is that a fancy term for "pop-up" or "pop-over?"

Oh. Okay.

2010-04-19 04:55:58 PM
So, that means that FARK will be automatically logging me out after a period of inactivity?

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all